PDA

View Full Version : Elgin player got deliberately booked against us for a bet

BegbieHSC
24-01-2020, 07:46 AM
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/1098536/exclusive-footballer-allegedly-got-himself-booked-in-hibernian-scottish-cup-tie-in-16k-betting-scam/

EXCLUSIVE: Footballer allegedly got himself booked in Hibernian Scottish Cup tie in £16k betting scam

Scottish League footballer is among four Angus men to have appeared in court over an alleged £16,000 betting scam.

Former Arbroath forward Kane Hester is charged with forming a fraudulent scheme with three co-accused to receive a booking during a Scottish Cup game between his current club Elgin City and Hibernian last July.

Prosecutors say this led to a £16,000 payout by online gambling firm Bet365.

The accused men are all from Montrose and appeared on petition, privately and separately, before Sheriff Gregor Murray at Forfar Sheriff Court on Thursday.

Hester, 24, Brodie Myers, 26, Calvin Parrott, 24, and Findlay Soutar, 23, face a charge of obtaining money through the formation of a fraudulent scheme.

The petition alleges the scheme involved placing bets on Hester receiving a booking from the referee during the cup game at Elgin’s Borough Briggs Stadium on July 26 last year.

Prosecutors say between July 25 and August 2, the men agreed the footballer would purposely commit a foul, placed three separate bets on him receiving a booking and that Hester received a booking by stamping on the calf of an opponent.

The petition alleges the yellow card Hester received led to a payout of approximately £16,000 in winnings from Bet365, which was obtained by fraud.

An alternative charge on the petition under the Gambling Act 2005 alleges the four accused cheated at gambling between July 25 and August 2 last year by placing three separate bets Hester would receive a booking and that the player intentionally stamped on the calf of a rival player, resulting in the five-figure winnings being paid out.

All four accused made no plea or declaration and were committed for further examination.

They were each granted bail by Sheriff Murray.

A further court date has not been set.

The Edinburgh club won the July 2019 cup tie 2-0 through goals by Joe Newell and Florian Kamberi.

Centre forward Hester joined Elgin City in January 2019 on a contract due to run to 2022.

He has made a total of 30 appearances for the club in League Two and cup competition this season, the last in the 3-2 home defeat to Stenhousemuir on Saturday.

He previously played more than 60 games for Arbroath.

Persons convicted of offences under the section of the Gambling Act the accused have appeared on can face a maximum prison sentence of two years on indictment, or 51 weeks at summary level.

BegbieHSC
24-01-2020, 07:49 AM
Got that booking from stamping on one of our players. Anyone remember it?

Onion
24-01-2020, 07:51 AM

Whoever it was should sue him for £16k.

Heisenberg
24-01-2020, 07:53 AM
I remember him putting in a brutal tackle in that game. Should’ve been a red card. Don’t remember it as a stamp but could be wrong.

BroxburnHibee
24-01-2020, 07:57 AM
This is probably more common than you'd think.

BegbieHSC
24-01-2020, 08:01 AM

That’s my thinking.

He’s a fairly unknown player, so high bets on him doing something like that probably would be a bit of a red flag for the bookie.

Better known Premier League/Championship players at it? I wouldn’t bet against it.

green with envy
24-01-2020, 08:01 AM
Was Boyle's injury that night not from a bad tackle?

overdrive
24-01-2020, 08:05 AM
That’s my thinking.

He’s a fairly unknown player, so high bets on him doing something like that probably would be a bit of a red flag for the bookie.

Better known Premier League/Championship players at it? I wouldn’t bet against it.

Not dissimilar to Matt Le Tissier launching the ball out of play at kick off.

Hiber-nation
24-01-2020, 08:09 AM
I remember him putting in a brutal tackle in that game. Should’ve been a red card. Don’t remember it as a stamp but could be wrong.

The tackle in question was on Doidge. Raked his studs down the back of his achilles. Should've been a red as you say.

Also looked like he was deliberately trying to get himself booked in the game at ER in the Tunnocks cup. I'd put it down to the laddie being a bit of a nutter.

Vault Boy
24-01-2020, 08:18 AM
The tackle in question was on Doidge. Raked his studs down the back of his achilles. Should've been a red as you say.

Also looked like he was deliberately trying to get himself booked in the game at ER in the Tunnocks cup. I'd put it down to the laddie being a bit of a nutter.

That's right, I remember being disgusted by it at the time, it seemed so full of intent. We know why now. Absolute ****bag.

Edinburgh Green
24-01-2020, 08:19 AM

Yip, it was a shocker, absolutely no attempt for the ball (which now makes sense) should of been a red.

Hibs4185
24-01-2020, 08:36 AM
Shot in the dark here and I’m not suggesting he be charged, but I just read the title and I remembered the challenge straight away as it was that bad.

As it was an absolute shocker, and we now know it was pre-mediated and not just a football related incident. Had he seriously injured the player, could he be charged for assault also?

hughio
24-01-2020, 09:04 AM
If he is found guilty of this and I was Doige's lawyer, I would advide him to sue for damages.

hibbyfraelibby
24-01-2020, 09:06 AM
Removed.

Personally if I were you I would remove that comment as it is potentially liablous and potentially costly to both you and .bet as a forum

MacBean
24-01-2020, 09:13 AM
More than happy to have that removed, perhaps shouldn't have said any names.
Think it's been made clear that it is pretty rife around football and there will be even higher profile names than the one mentioned that are guilty of it.

Hibby Bairn
24-01-2020, 09:17 AM
The bookies should stop offering bets on these sort of things. Individual player getting booked. Throw in in the first minute etc. Restrict odds being offered to things that are difficult for one person to influence.

brog
24-01-2020, 09:19 AM

That's it exactly! IIRC the ref was about 2 yards away. Like you I thought he was a bit of a bampot but he actually had some ability & as it's an unusual name, I've looked out for him ever since.

Greencore
24-01-2020, 09:20 AM
So the big billion pound company's lose basically nothing to the little guy. And they end up in court. 😂

BegbieHSC
24-01-2020, 09:27 AM
So the big billion pound company's lose basically nothing to the little guy. And they end up in court. 😂

I’ve got no time for big betting companies, and would be happy if all the big yins went bust.

This is about the integrity of the game though. A player deliberately altered his game, for individual purposes, and nothing to do with helping his team, so he should be reprimanded.

It was foul play too, and could have seriously hurt Doidgey - all so him and his pals would benefit financially.

Deansy
24-01-2020, 09:33 AM
Getting booked for fouling a Hibs-player ? - the odds must've been astronomical !

SaulGoodman
24-01-2020, 09:38 AM
If you want to get booked why not just boot the ball away or waste time? Boys obviously a bit of a dick if the best way to get a booking in his mind is to stamp on someone.

HFC93
24-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Was Boyle's injury that night not from a bad tackle?

Seem to remember Boyle breaking down and no tackle being involved in his injury. Might be wrong, memory isn’t what it used to be.

worcesterhibby
24-01-2020, 10:54 AM
If you want to get booked why not just boot the ball away or waste time? Boys obviously a bit of a dick if the best way to get a booking in his mind is to stamp on someone.

Or just call the referee a @@@&%$£

The only person in the whole of Scottish football who can't be under scrutiny for this sort of thing is Scott Brown...he doesn't get booked no matter what he does ! :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Col L
24-01-2020, 11:01 AM
Shocking for a so-called professional to resort to this, if he's found guilty of course. Also breathtakingly stupid that they all thought (allegedly) that a £16,000 win on a random booking for an Elgin City player wouldn't produce a whiff of suspicion among the bookies.

WeeRussell
24-01-2020, 12:04 PM

I'm swaying between what you've said above.. or... how do they think they can get away with this sort of thing when betting patterns are monitored and reported :confused:

Do we reckon it's going on all the time but only between say 1 player and an accomplice for relatively small amounts, as opposed to letting a big group in on it and lumping it?

Hibeesmad
24-01-2020, 03:15 PM

Yep. I know one or two who did it last weekend.

Golden Bear
24-01-2020, 03:51 PM
Seem to remember Boyle breaking down and no tackle being involved in his injury. Might be wrong, memory isn’t what it used to be.

Relax you're correct. His injury came from an innocuous challenge on the edge of their box, it was more to do with the way he fell than the tackle itself.

Cataplana
24-01-2020, 04:00 PM
Personally if I were you I would remove that comment as it is potentially liablous and potentially costly to both you and .bet as a forum

.bet is a target unfortunate typo. As a member I am incensed that you are insinuating I have a gambling problem, and I am willing to bet you a substantial amount of money that you would have difficulty defending that in court.

Hibs90
24-01-2020, 04:02 PM
I know of a member of staff in a lower league team who says it's rife among the players in the lower leagues.

SquashedFrogg
24-01-2020, 04:14 PM
.bet is a target unfortunate typo. As a member I am incensed that you are insinuating I have a gambling problem, and I am willing to bet you a substantial amount of money that you would have difficulty defending that in court.

I've just cashed out on this.

hibbyfraelibby
24-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Double or quits?

Killiehibbie
24-01-2020, 06:10 PM
Some players seem to go out of with the intention of getting booked, I always thought they were stupid maybe they're building the biggest pension pot possible.

Iggy Pope
24-01-2020, 07:37 PM
Shinnie while at Aberdeen must have had a lot of refs punting on non yellows.

JimBHibees
25-01-2020, 08:18 AM

Yes should have been a red horrible tackle from behind on I think was Doidge. Colum perfect view and gave yellow which was a joke.

JimBHibees
25-01-2020, 08:24 AM
Wonder how much the lino made in flagging offside our goal which was 4 yards onside.

hibbyfraelibby
25-01-2020, 08:31 AM
Wonder how much the lino made in flagging offside our goal which was 4 yards onside.

As its that Burns time of year...

He got himself re-elected to Wastemonster on the back of it. Parcel o'rogues and all that.

Hiber-nation
06-04-2021, 01:52 PM
BBC News - Elgin City player Kane Hester denies match betting fraud charge
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-56649788

hibbysam
06-04-2021, 02:57 PM

Hope they’re found not guilty and have stung the bookies. Liberty taking bets on absolutely anything and then crying when they get done over.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2021, 03:00 PM
That game was dreadfully officiated. That idiot Douglas Ross denies us a perfectly good goal. And this incident which was a stone wall red card.

I don't think the match betting fraud charge is as serious as Elgins local MP being the lino and disallowing a goal 2 yards onside. Dunno why that isn't being questioned.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2021, 03:01 PM
Hope they’re found not guilty and have stung the bookies. Liberty taking bets on absolutely anything and then crying when they get done over.

He could've seriously injured one of our players to make himself a few quid. It was a dreadful tackle. Hopefully a lengthy ban.

Peevemor
06-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Kane Hester, Findlay Soutar, Calvin Parrot and Brodie Myers? Did they meet at private detective school or something?

Partyraiser
06-04-2021, 03:08 PM

I know someone who plays for a league 1 team that played celtc in the cup last year, everyone who knew him had him on to get booked. He duly obliged and got cautioned for halfing Griffiths late on. To this day I struggle to understand how he never got caught

Northernhibee
06-04-2021, 03:11 PM
I remember that booking very well. Thug.

Onion
06-04-2021, 03:26 PM
If he is found guilty of this and I was Doige's lawyer, I would advide him to sue for damages.

Can you ever imagine him doing this to a top Celtic or Sevco player - potentially ruining his career ?

The SFA should ban the guy from football for life, if he's found guilt. And yes, Doidge should get a lawyer and sue for damages. That's the only way we're going to stamp this out :greengrin

Billy Whizz
06-04-2021, 03:35 PM
I remember that booking very well. Thug.

Who was the foul on, remember one or two nasty challenges that night

Was this the night also Boyle had a reoccurrence of his injury

Kato
06-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Kane Hester, Findlay Soutar, Calvin Parrot and Brodie Myers? Did they meet at private detective school or something?

Yes, just before setting off to find the North West Passage.

Broken Gnome
06-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Who was the foul on, remember one or two nasty challenges that night

Was this the night also Boyle had a reoccurrence of his injury

Boyle's was fairly innocuous, more the way he fell.

The Hester booking was on Doidge, was pretty much halfway. He's lucky his bet came in, could've easily been sent off.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2021, 04:11 PM
If found guilty it should be a lifetime ban from football. No questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
06-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Boyle's was fairly innocuous, more the way he fell.

The Hester booking was on Doidge, was pretty much halfway. He's lucky his bet came in, could've easily been sent off.

Yep horrible potential leg breaker tackle from behind on Doidge. Collum was perfectly positioned and incredibly saw it as a yellow.

Jim44
06-04-2021, 04:15 PM
Yep horrible potential leg breaker tackle from behind on Doidge. Collum was perfectly positioned and incredibly saw it as a yellow.

Maybe he was in on the scam.:greengrin

hibbysam
06-04-2021, 04:17 PM
He could've seriously injured one of our players to make himself a few quid. It was a dreadful tackle. Hopefully a lengthy ban.

It wasn’t that bad and was never going to seriously injure anyone. If bookies are daft enough to put stupid bets up to ensure those with addictions are kept in then I’ve absolutely no issue with folk taking advantage of that, similarly with the pie eating goalie a few years back.

JimBHibees
06-04-2021, 04:19 PM
It wasn’t that bad and was never going to seriously injure anyone. If bookies are daft enough to put stupid bets up to ensure those with addictions are kept in then I’ve absolutely no issue with folk taking advantage of that, similarly with the pie eating goalie a few years back.

Disagree was an awful tackle

JimBHibees
06-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Maybe he was in on the scam.:greengrin

Wouldn't rule it out. :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2021, 04:33 PM

You have no issue with someone putting in red card tackles on Hibs players to get paid by bookies? Seriously?

It was a dreadful tackle.

superfurryhibby
06-04-2021, 04:45 PM
Any one got a link to the offending tackle?

hibbysam
06-04-2021, 04:55 PM
You have no issue with someone putting in red card tackles on Hibs players to get paid by bookies? Seriously?

It was a dreadful tackle.

It was a booking. No different to a player cynically chopping down a player in the middle of the park when 1-0 up to stop an attack and pick up his win bonus. Gets a booking, moves on.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2021, 05:39 PM
It was a booking. No different to a player cynically chopping down a player in the middle of the park when 1-0 up to stop an attack and pick up his win bonus. Gets a booking, moves on.

it is quite different. That is related entirely to winning the match. This is related entirely to a player winning money, which is already against the rules.

Broken Gnome
06-04-2021, 05:45 PM
It was fairly similar to Callum Paterson on Malonga, and no one batted an eyelid when that was a red.

JimBHibees
06-04-2021, 05:48 PM
It was fairly similar to Callum Paterson on Malonga, and no one batted an eyelid when that was a red.

Agree with that very similar straight leg on Doidges calf. Not a trip and imo could easily have seriously injured.

Northernhibee
06-04-2021, 06:14 PM

That time a keeper ate a pie on the bench in a cup game because he was quite rotund and a bookies offered a bet on it because hurr hurr hurr he's fat hurr hurr - it was a disgrace that he faced punishment after that for eating the pie. If the bookies are that stupid to put out a bet like that and also quite happy to take the piss out of him for being fat, then they should take anything that comes back at them for their nonsense.

Something like taking a booking that might affect the outcome of a match is a different story, but that story was a disgrace.

Billy Whizz
06-04-2021, 06:23 PM

Starts tonight v Stranraer

LongJohnBanger
06-04-2021, 06:46 PM
Any one got a link to the offending tackle?

I'll second that request. Was at the game but nothing sticks out in my mind and it's not on Sky Sports highlights on YouTube (there's 12 minutes of my life I'm never getting back)

mjhibby
06-04-2021, 07:03 PM
Such a huge risk knowing the bookies scrutinise every strange bet. I’m sure it goes on regularly but for very little money. Sensible to do it low enough it’s not enough for the bookies to waste time checking.

mjhibby
06-04-2021, 07:06 PM
Also as a few have said could very easily have been a red which would have scuppered the bet. I wonder what the club are thinking behind closed doors.

hibbysam
06-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Also as a few have said could very easily have been a red which would have scuppered the bet. I wonder what the club are thinking behind closed doors.

Doubt it would’ve scuppered the bet. Unless it was a special yellow only market, most card markets include yellows and reds. Unless there’s a trail of messages then I’d imagine it would be hard to prove.

Mick O'Rourke
06-04-2021, 07:32 PM
Was thinking similar
Ian Rankin take note .

The beak on the bench might give Mr Parrot some bird !
Findlay could be in soapy anaw !

TelaStella
07-04-2021, 09:20 AM
Hope the SFA are taking this seriously and awarding us the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mal
07-04-2021, 09:31 AM

What about if a ref is given a bung to book a specific player, ultimately leading to a suspension that affects an important match? That scenario okay with you?

Since90+2
07-04-2021, 09:36 AM
Unless he's been daft and put it in writing via emails, texts ect how do they prove it?

The betting pattern on it might be extremely irregular but how do you prove it wasn't just the case of his mates knowing he's a bit wild / dirty player and they all lumped on.