PDA

View Full Version : Hecky's eye for a player?

G B Young
23-01-2020, 03:31 PM
While I'm not saying he deserved more time, Hecky's signings have, for the most part, started to show that they're not the duds we feared they looked at the start of the season. Not on a par with calibre of player Stubbs brought in, but it's nevertheless interesting to see how most have come to terms with the Scottish game. We clearly require new players but we may not be in need of the mass clearout I thought we needed with Jack Ross came in.

Personally I liked Hecky. His spell at the club wasn't brilliant but he undoubtedly salvaged our season last time round (including reeling in the yams from something like 12 points behind) and I don't think he inflicted any serious long-term damage - unlike several of his predecessors.

stokesmessiah
23-01-2020, 03:34 PM
While I'm not saying he deserved more time, Hecky's signings have, for the most part, started to show that they're not the duds we feared they looked at the start of the season. Not on a par with calibre of player Stubbs brought in, but it's nevertheless interesting to see how most of have come to terms with the Scottish game. We clearly require new players but we may not be in need of the mass clearout I thought we needed with Jack Ross came in.

Personally I liked Hecky. His spell at the club wasn't brilliant but he undoubtedly salvaged our season last time round (including reeling in the yams from something like 12 points behind) and I don't think he inflicted any serious long-term damage - unlike several of his predecessors.

Pint of whatever your having please.

His signings look reasonable, while some of them (Vela) were absolutely atrocious.

Wasn't brilliant?? Are you serious !?

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 03:43 PM
We have lost a complete season, probably season ticket holders for next year and have a very weak squad. He left us winless in ages and a point off the bottom. His tenure was rubbish from about February onwards.

Hibbyradge
23-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Apart from Doige latterly, I don't think any of his players improved the squad.

Maxwell was no better than Rocky.

Vela was absent even when he was on the pitch.

The rest, Meh.

Granted we've seen a couple of reasonable performances over the last few days, but I don't think those players are better than what we had.

WhileTheChief..
23-01-2020, 04:08 PM
He was utterly useless for us and definitely did more harm than good.

He beat a few bottom 6 teams last year and Hearts at Tynie. That's it.

Remember the games post split last year? Or the league cup games this season? Or any league games this season before he left??

It was woeful stuff and we're still suffering.

Billy Whizz
23-01-2020, 04:10 PM
He played Newell at outside left?
1st game Eddie May was in charge, he played him in his best position

FilipinoHibs
23-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Newell turned into a good player but needed played in position and man management.

In 50 years of watching Hibs Hecky's reign left me the the most uninspired and feeling helpless.

BILLYHIBS
23-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Must have been frustrating for him right enough to have a free reign to sign all of these players and watch them fail to gel and come to terms with the pace and physicality of the Scottish game or adapt to his terrible grand plan of the system he wanted to play

Eye bleeding boring sideways defensive football insisting on playing one up front

Stuck with having to accommodate Scott Allan into his system he ignored repeated calls to sign former Hibernian heroes

He seriously underestimated the standard of the Scottish Premiership and the expectations of the fans of Hibernian Football Club the way he lined us up in the Scottish Cup at Easter Road versus Celtic was nothing short of a disgrace

All of his signings looked as though they needed an injection of urgency and a rocket up their respective *****

True some are starting to shine now Newall was outstanding last night but we may never know how good Josh Vela really is because like Newall he was deployed out of position and being injured and homesick has returned down south

We never ever saw the high press and levels of fitness that we have never known before that he promised us

It is interesting that when Eddie May took over he said that he had never attended a first team game he simply went two up front and dropped the non triers at Training resulting in an impressive win away to St Johnstone

It might be said that Hecky was unlucky losing Boyle to injury as he had the pace that his teams so badly needed but it was his inflexibility stubbornness and failure to listen to people when we were crying out to go two upfront especially against inferior opposition

The amount of games we lost or drew from winning positions and the subsequent points lost is mind blowing

A nice enough guy he never once engaged with the fans embraced our culture or tried to get us onside choosing instead to blame our frustration on the the terraces for negative results

The reality was the buck stopped with him

I have no doubt he is probably a knowledgeable coach but he is never a Manager that would inspire or motivate you to go over the top in the trenches with him when the whistle blows

ABZHFC
23-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Pint of whatever your having please.

His signings look reasonable, while some of them (Vela) were absolutely atrocious.

Wasn't brilliant?? Are you serious !?

There is not a doubt in my mind that if Vela had been given as many chances as Doidge (rightly) was, he'd have come a perfectly good player too. We are *far* too impatient as a fanbase

Smartie
23-01-2020, 04:23 PM
Hecky made a couple of fatal mistakes. He underestimated the importance of Bartley and Milligan but more importantly the value of a defensive minded midfielder to our side. He was also far too set in his ways tactically, sticking with a system that clearly didn't suit the players he had signed and is rarely attacking enough to break down the weaker teams in our league.

I didn't mind him, in fact I quite liked him. I don't have a problem with the players he signed, a couple of them (Newell and Doidge) I think will turn out to be very good for us, a few more (James and Jackson) may well go on to be decent, Maxwell did a decent turn for us whilst Vela didn't really get the opportunity to redeem himself after a poor start.

He wasn't going to turn it around with us and it was right that he went but the "his signings were garbage" criticism isn't actually all that fair or true. He had to go because his tactics were never going to bring success to Hibs and I didn't get the feeling he was learning from his mistakes.

Sir David Gray
23-01-2020, 04:35 PM
He was one of the most boring and uninspiring managers I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Utter garbage apart from about the first 10 games or whatever it was.

We would have been where Hearts are now if he had been allowed to stay much longer.

mcfly
23-01-2020, 04:40 PM
While I'm not saying he deserved more time, Hecky's signings have, for the most part, started to show that they're not the duds we feared they looked at the start of the season. Not on a par with calibre of player Stubbs brought in, but it's nevertheless interesting to see how most have come to terms with the Scottish game. We clearly require new players but we may not be in need of the mass clearout I thought we needed with Jack Ross came in.

Heckys gone and part of that reason is he clearly didn’t have an eye fir a player as the new manager is getting rid of them.

I didn’t like hecky cause he left us in a mess

Let’s move on and forget hecky

tonyrougier123
23-01-2020, 04:50 PM
Doidge signed during his tenure as gaffer but hibs scouted and watched big doidge long before heckingbottom became head coach.

There's not alot of credit that man can get just now tbh.

Keith_M
23-01-2020, 05:37 PM
My view is that we're still a pretty average side and no more. Some of Hecky's signings were poor, some average and a couple reasonably good but nothing special.

Hecky was, IMO, a poor tactician and made his average squad look really poor. He was no Terry Butcher though.

Since452
23-01-2020, 05:42 PM
Football visionary. Doidge and Newell look the part!

KingPat4
23-01-2020, 05:45 PM
Newell turned into a good player but needed played in position and man management.

In 50 years of watching Hibs Hecky's reign left me the the most uninspired and feeling helpless.

You must have missed the Calderwood days.....,

superfurryhibby
23-01-2020, 05:53 PM

I’ll raise you Auld, Butcher and Calderwood, Stanton and Blackley. All had managerial tenures that were as bad, if not worse the Heckingbottom.

Hibby Bairn
23-01-2020, 05:55 PM

And a lot of Fenlon’s, Auld’s, late Turnbull’s, Butcher’s, Duffy’s and sadly also Stanton’s and Blackley’s.

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 05:59 PM
And a lot of Fenlon’s, Auld’s, late Turnbull’s, Butcher’s, Duffy’s and sadly also Stanton’s and Blackley’s.

Fenlon is a much better HC than Hecky. He done a great job given the circumstances

Onion
23-01-2020, 05:59 PM
One of the worst batches of players Hibs have ever recruited in one session. Anything Jack Ross gets out of them is due to jack Ross' managerial ability and zero to do with Hecky who was a disaster of a manager.

tamig
23-01-2020, 06:03 PM
His biggest failing for me was his stubbornness and his reluctance to change things even when his coat was on the shoogliest of pegs.

Most glaring examples were his refusal to start with two up front and the perseverance to play Allan and Mallan in the same team.

tamig
23-01-2020, 06:06 PM

Blackley’s team did give us some decent moments though. That League Cup run was brilliant.

Hibby Bairn
23-01-2020, 06:35 PM
Fenlon is a much better HC than Hecky. He done a great job given the circumstances

He may well be but he was in charge when I didn’t renew my ST after 17 straight years. Bored silly. And he also presided over 1-5 and 0-7. Brutal. Imo.

Lago
23-01-2020, 06:43 PM
I’ll raise you Auld, Butcher and Calderwood, Stanton and Blackley. All had managerial tenures that were as bad, if not worse the Heckingbottom.
Beat me to it. Although you forgot helicopter Duffy.

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 06:49 PM
He may well be but he was in charge when I didn’t renew my ST after 17 straight years. Bored silly. And he also presided over 1-5 and 0-7. Brutal. Imo.

It was worse under Mixu and Coco before Fenlon. There would have been no 5-1 if we didn’t reach the cup final or 7-0 if we didn’t reach it the next again season. The second season, especially away from home we played some terrific stuff. Killie away in the Scottish a massive highlight. No budget either. Fenlon is massively underrated because of a couple of games.

Captain Trips
23-01-2020, 06:51 PM
I thought this was about spotting players and TBBH all the managers mentioned in the "who is a better manager" debate all signed piles of utter pish. Fenlons signings were a joke however you 10 players you will get some right.

jacomo
23-01-2020, 07:26 PM
One of the worst batches of players Hibs have ever recruited in one session. Anything Jack Ross gets out of them is due to jack Ross' managerial ability and zero to do with Hecky who was a disaster of a manager.

Not even close.

Hecky made a total mess of reshaping the squad, but at least he left us some decent players who just needed to be managed better.

Think of some of the absolute donkeys who have worn the shirt in the past... none of the summer recruits anywhere near as bad as that.

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 07:28 PM
I thought this was about spotting players and TBBH all the managers mentioned in the "who is a better manager" debate all signed piles of utter pish. Fenlons signings were a joke however you 10 players you will get some right.

Fenlon had no money and had to rely on loans and short term signings.

Captain Trips
23-01-2020, 08:15 PM
Fenlon had no money and had to rely on loans and short term signings.

They were still pish though.

Find better loans and better short term signings then.

Hermit Crab
23-01-2020, 08:17 PM

Heckys eye for a player is made of glass.

Since452
23-01-2020, 08:18 PM
It was worse under Mixu and Coco before Fenlon. There would have been no 5-1 if we didn’t reach the cup final or 7-0 if we didn’t reach it the next again season. The second season, especially away from home we played some terrific stuff. Killie away in the Scottish a massive highlight. No budget either. Fenlon is massively underrated because of a couple of games.

Killie game one of my favourite away days. 4k Hibbys packed into the stand behind the goal and a magnificent Griffiths performance

Captain Trips
23-01-2020, 08:21 PM

Most of the other teams had no budget

Won 31 Lost 37 add into that the 2 games discussed, the man like many before and after was a joke. Thats not a couple of games that a lot of games. 0-3 at Home to ICT x 2 also 4-1 at home v Motherwell. nothing underrated about him these are just other games of note under his tenure.

MacGruber
23-01-2020, 08:25 PM
Doidge was a useless huddy as was Newell and Tom James.

Doidge is now a goal machine, Joe Newell now Super Joe Newell.

I'd like to see Tom James under the Ross regime given a clean slate

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 09:06 PM

Think he’ll get a start at some point in the next week and a bit. Not sure Gray has got four games in 10 days in him.

Hibeesmad
23-01-2020, 09:10 PM

The Welsh Cafu

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 09:14 PM
They were still pish though.

Find better loans and better short term signings then.

That’s the market he was fishing in. Nothing like the market Hecky was.

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 09:15 PM

When was Doidge a useless huddy?

Is It On....
23-01-2020, 09:17 PM

As I understand it from various articles, the "scouting team" do all the analysis from which the manager selects what players are required for what positions. The fact that Heckingbottom chose to play Doidge as a 1 up front, Newall and Allan out wide and not sign a DM after releasing Marv and Milligan is down to him. Identitying the players in the first place isn't and I think he will struggle to get another good role as he clearly can't maximise the players at his disposal.

Purple & Green
23-01-2020, 09:36 PM
As I understand it from various articles, the "scouting team" do all the analysis from which the manager selects what players are required for what positions. The fact that Heckingbottom chose to play Doidge as a 1 up front, Newall and Allan out wide and not sign a DM after releasing Marv and Milligan is down to him. Identitying the players in the first place isn't and I think he will struggle to get another good role as he clearly can't maximise the players at his disposal.

Doidge was a hibs target before heckingbottom got the managers job.

Juice-Terry
23-01-2020, 09:42 PM
"He seriously underestimated the standard of the Scottish Premiership and the expectations of the fans of Hibernian Football Club the way he lined us up in the Scottish Cup at Easter Road versus Celtic was nothing short of a disgrace." This.

Captain Trips
23-01-2020, 09:50 PM

Along with almost the rest of the league and he still managed to find all the pish of the day in the loan market or short term. Just like PH there were plenty of players I am sure Fenlon might have got who were better than what he did that were also in our market. The same goes for PH I am sure with the budget PH there were others who would have been better for us.

jacomo
23-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Pat Fenlon definitely deserves to be cut a little slack.

His reputation will always be tarnished by the 2012 cup final but he was working on a shoe string, with no football department around him to help him out.

He was great for Leigh Griffiths and he tried his best. It didn’t work out but he’s a good man.

Captain Trips
23-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Pat Fenlon definitely deserves to be cut a little slack.

His reputation will always be tarnished by the 2012 cup final but he was working on a shoe string, with no football department around him to help him out.

He was great for Leigh Griffiths and he tried his best. It didn’t work out but he’s a good man.

Why should he be cut slack? As he was nice guy and CC was a grade A twat?

Fenlon was in the same position as almost every other manager in the league. He brought in a pile of dross had lost more than he won.

There is the cup final yes but along with a fair few other shockers against clubs with the same if not less resources than he had.

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 12:37 AM
Along with almost the rest of the league and he still managed to find all the pish of the day in the loan market or short term. Just like PH there were plenty of players I am sure Fenlon might have got who were better than what he did that were also in our market. The same goes for PH I am sure with the budget PH there were others who would have been better for us.

But he done that and got us to 2 national finals and saved us from Cocos mess of getting relegated?

The 90+2
24-01-2020, 12:40 AM

Fenlon was in the same position as almost every other manager in the league. He brought in a pile of dross had lost more than he won.

There is the cup final yes but along with a fair few other shockers against clubs with the same if not less resources than he had.

There was 2 cup finals. There was sweeping up Calderwoods mess, there was a piss poor budget and there was relegation when he left. If Pat Fenlon came after Lennon or even Stubbs with the budget he would be a lot more fondly remembered than people like Hecky who was taking us back to the Calderwood days.

FilipinoHibs
24-01-2020, 02:31 AM

I caught them but we were saved by the likes of Deke. Calderwood never left me as depressed as Hecky

MacGruber
24-01-2020, 05:56 AM
When was Doidge a useless huddy?

I was being facetious. I've always liked Doidge and thought he would come good.

Really just saying that although Tom James seems like a poor signing he could yet come good as plenty had written off both Newell and Doidge under Hecky.

In answer though - vast majority on here and geeral public had him labelled as a useless huddy especially after the Aberdeen.away game.

As it is he is now an unstoppable goal machine so all"s good.

jacomo
24-01-2020, 06:33 AM

My point is that Hibs were quite dysfunctional at that time, and the blame shouldn’t all be laid at Pat’s door.

Had he stayed on for the rest of that season we would not have been relegated.

easty
24-01-2020, 07:00 AM
My point is that Hibs were quite dysfunctional at that time, and the blame shouldn’t all be laid at Pat’s door.

Yes we would

Captain Trips
24-01-2020, 08:07 AM

I am basing my judgement on what I saw of the team and the signings not on what ifs or the creating of sceanarios we have no proof of.

CC got 13pts from 14 SPL and was rightly punted.
PF got 19pts from 23 SPL games for remainder of that season.

Yes we can say he only had the player CC had however if he is better then I expect better that form was actually worse than CCs form. PFs form is actually worse than Calderwoods so there is no basis to say CC would have us relegated.

If you had been told that after sacking CC in November our new manager will win 5 more games in SPL for rest of season I would be ****ting bricks. PF never saved anything Dunfermline were just worse. PF like CC like TB was simply awful.

HibeeHibernian4
24-01-2020, 10:42 AM
We have lost a complete season, probably season ticket holders for next year and have a very weak squad. He left us winless in ages and a point off the bottom. His tenure was rubbish from about February onwards.

He was appointed in February, and made the best start in the league that any Hibs manager has ever made.

Why is there the need for this revisionism? Heckingbottom started out very well and had almost universal support.

The knives were out for him far too quickly and he never recovered the situation. I hope we don't turn into one of those clubs, however, and Jack Ross is given plenty of time to build something here.