PDA

View Full Version : Players on the posts at corner kicks

FifeHibs
23-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Although the ball travelled across the face of the goal last night do you think having a man on the post last night would have prevented the goal?

Different managers have different systems at corners, man to man, Zonal but always though having men on the post prevented a few goals a season.

givescotlandfreedom
23-01-2020, 10:49 AM
It's something my group moan about every week.

givescotlandfreedom
23-01-2020, 10:56 AM
Short corners are another thing. Can't remember the last time we scored off one.

hibbysam
23-01-2020, 11:26 AM
Short corners are another thing. Can't remember the last time we scored off one.

90% of corners are just fired into the box and very little are scored from. You are generally looking for a mistake from a defending player to score from a corner, whereas a short one changes the complexion completely and allows you to be creative. Should be mixed up and I think we get the balance right with the players we have.

CockneyRebel
23-01-2020, 11:29 AM
Although the ball travelled across the face of the goal last night do you think having a man on the post last night would have prevented the goal?

Different managers have different systems at corners, man to man, Zonal but always though having men on the post prevented a few goals a season.

Even little Lewis has saved a few goals by being on the post at corners and some free kicks.

hibee_girl
23-01-2020, 11:32 AM

:agree:

They drive me mad! Hate them, such a waste of time

CockneyRebel
23-01-2020, 11:40 AM
:agree:

They drive me mad! Hate them, such a waste of time

On the other hand if your direct corners are all being snaffled by big huddie defenders or goalkeepers then you need to change the angle of the cross to make it more difficult to defend. I only dislike short corners because we usually make a comedy sketch of them. I agree with a previous poster that we need to mix them up occasionally.

wookie70
23-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Rocky needs to have a look at what he did at the corner as does Slivka. I like the odd short corner but much depends on who takes the corner. Newell's delivery last night was good and Allan's last night and in general is terrible. A man on the far post last night would have stopped their goal bit I think a man on the front post is more important.

DTS
23-01-2020, 01:01 PM

I can’t remember the game but we 100% scored from one or two this season which is probably more goals than we have scored direct from a corner. We are useless at corners and I think despite the perceived wasteful ness of a short corner we look more of a threat from them. There should be a good mix not consistently either

Stuart93
23-01-2020, 01:02 PM
What a corner newell whips in genuinely superb

Compare that to SA’s lofted corners they’re night and day

Hermit Crab
23-01-2020, 03:13 PM

Aberdeen conceded an almost identical against Motherwell last night. I think Mariano was beaten far too easily at his near post and he maybe could have came and punched or collected the cross.

Vault Boy
23-01-2020, 03:19 PM

Short corners are statistically the most likely to lead to a goal. I can't remember the source for the analysis annoyingly, but they were ranked:

- Short
- Inswingers
- Outswingers

It was a really significant sample size too, so pretty convincing.

I think people dislike them because when they don't work, it seems like a 'waste'. The reality is that 95% of the corners lumped into the box are wasted too. I'm all for short corners.

hibbytam
23-01-2020, 03:19 PM

Celtic semi?
It's understandable that might have been forgotten.

Brooster
23-01-2020, 05:49 PM
It helps having players on posts. It also helps having a goalie who isn't rooted to his line for every corner when the ball is in in the 6 yard box.

we are hibs
23-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Floating in corners does my tits in more than short ones. Allan is the master of floating them in. Either whip it in with a bit of pace or go short.

hibby rae
23-01-2020, 06:56 PM
I remember watching this Pat Nevin clip a while back. Found it quite interesting. About how teams set themselves up at corners and the reasons why etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/24857012

SChibs
23-01-2020, 06:57 PM
Surely having a player on both posts means you have to sacrifice leaving a player or two up top for a counter attack or leave one of the opposition free in the box. Unless of course you are playing zonal marking which comes with its flaws

hibby rae
23-01-2020, 06:58 PM
90% of corners are just fired into the box and very little are scored from. You are generally looking for a mistake from a defending player to score from a corner, whereas a short one changes the complexion completely and allows you to be creative. Should be mixed up and I think we get the balance right with the players we have.

The stat I heard was only 5 per cent of those into the box result in a goal.

bigwheel
23-01-2020, 07:17 PM

Are they all against us ? [emoji6]

ancient hibee
23-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Floating in corners does my tits in more than short ones. Allan is the master of floating them in. Either whip it in with a bit of pace or go short.

They should show clips of Zitelli taking corners.Didn't need to power the header just deflect the ball.

SChibs
24-01-2020, 02:16 PM
They should show clips of Zitelli taking corners.Didn't need to power the header just deflect the ball.

Or show them Mcginns vs Hearts when Hanlon scored. Exactly how a corner should be taken.

hibsbollah
24-01-2020, 02:41 PM
I remember watching this Pat Nevin clip a while back. Found it quite interesting. About how teams set themselves up at corners and the reasons why etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/24857012

That's really interesting and in depth, thanks. I often wondered why you sometimes see defenders running away from a crossed ball towards the goal line instead of towards the ball, 'whats the defender daein Tam?' it's possibly explained it there, that it's a predetermined move to bring a man onto the post late to surprise the corner taking team. I like the bit about bringing the man on the post out to catch the attacking team offside; I got my u13 team to do this, I didn't know it was considered cutting edge tactical thinking :greengrin

hibsbollah
24-01-2020, 02:44 PM

Correct. I heard 4% but that's close enough:greengrin So there are 24 alternative universes where David Grays goal doesn't hit the net, I'm glad we're living in this one...