PDA

View Full Version : Halberg

green with envy
23-01-2020, 08:53 AM
I'm looking for posters on here to tell me what it is he brings to the team as I am struggling to see it?

For what i've seen from him since he joined is that he looks pretty comfortable on the ball without doing an awful lot with it. During the games he seems to hide a lot by not offering himself on collecting the ball, he doesn't have a tackle in him, his attempts at goal whether it being long range or from inside the box are pretty woeful. I had high hopes for him when he first arrived but on the last 5/6 games performances, i'm now not so sure.

DJ HIBBY
23-01-2020, 08:56 AM
I'm looking for posters on here to tell me what it is he brings to the team as I am struggling to see it?

For what i've seen from him since he joined is that he looks pretty comfortable on the ball without doing an awful lot with it. During the games he seems to hide a lot by not offering himself on collecting the ball, he doesn't have a tackle in him, his attempts at goal whether it being long range or from inside the box are pretty woeful. I had high hopes for him when he first arrived but on the last 5/6 games performances, i'm now not so sure.

Glad it’s not just me then. Like Slivka, he seems to lack an urgency or energy and often looks one paced. Hoping he proves me wrong but still not actually sure what his actual qualities are.

FilipinoHibs

Not very mobile or dynamic.

AugustaHibs
Brian Kerr

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 08:57 AM
Promising start from him but he’s not offering nearly enough other than running about a lot. Suffered for ending up playing a position that wasn’t his natural one as well.

supermcginn
23-01-2020, 08:59 AM
I don't get the hype about him at all, very very average player.

J-C
23-01-2020, 08:59 AM
And so it begins, now Vela has gone it's obviously time for a new scapegoat, do we ever just support our players instead of ripping them to shreds.

Ozyhibby
23-01-2020, 09:01 AM
And so it begins, now Vela has gone it's obviously time for a new scapegoat, do we ever just support our players instead of ripping them to shreds.

Halberg and Slivka were very poor last night. Expecting football fans not to point it out is fantasy stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are hibs
23-01-2020, 09:06 AM
I like him but he was poor last night and poor on sunday.

Wheat Hound
23-01-2020, 09:07 AM

Well said. I recall similar said about Bartley and Milligan, both of whom are now, according to some, the greatest thing since sliced bread and who we are missing.

Hallberg had a bad game last night but prior to that has often been holding the middle of the park for us single handedly without much support. He both wins and retains possession well and is mobile enough to cover a lot of territory. I think he'll benefit from Omeonga and possibly another cm to come.

Not for throwing players under the bus after one poor 45 mins.

cabbage_88
23-01-2020, 09:09 AM

Just been thinking the exact same thing this morning. Hasn't really brought much at all to the table. Every time one of the centre halfs has the ball he turns his back and goes up the pitch rather than trying to get the ball and do something with it. Largely anonymous in most of the games he's played imo bar a couple.

Hoping if we get a defensive midfielder in we might start seeing the best of him. Not writing him off by any means but he needs to be doing much more.

Andy74
23-01-2020, 09:12 AM
It happens to everyone - you get used to what they did when they came in and then expect them to be doing everything else too.

He wasn't great last night but has been excellent at the role he has been asked to play. Wins the ball well, plays it simply, has obvious ability.

After a while even the likes of Boozy used to get stick on here - doesn't tackle enough, doesn't get assists and goals....

sean04
23-01-2020, 09:12 AM
He’s a squad player. Can be neat and tidy, good range of passing. Can’t tackle, to soft. Think he will be better with a more solid defensive midfielder in next to him

Blaster
23-01-2020, 09:18 AM
Halberg and Slivka were very poor last night. Expecting football fans not to point it out is fantasy stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t disagree about last night ozy but Hallberg has done ok for us so far and beside Omeonga will do ok I hope. He’s entitled to more chances I think

Slivka has had long enough at the club to make an impression and hasn’t so his time is definitely up.

green with envy
23-01-2020, 09:21 AM

This has absolutely nothing to do With Vela leaving. I'm asking a genuine question and not ripping into anyone or looking for a scapegoat. I've also asked the same folk the same question that I go with week in week out and have much the same opinion as me.

So, i'll ask you the same question, what does he bring to the team that makes him a standout? Oh, and FWIW, I would love to see the guy put in a real decent performance as I do with all the players.

green with envy
23-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Don’t disagree about last night ozy but Hallberg has done ok for us so far and beside Omeonga will do ok I hope. He’s entitled to more chances I think

Slivka has had long enough at the club to make an impression and hasn’t so his time is definitely up.

Both were awful last night but at least Slivka wasn't posted missing and was prepared to take the ball and pass (not very well) and put in a tackle, as for Halberg he did nothing, much about the same as on Sunday past.

J-C
23-01-2020, 09:32 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do With Vela leaving. I'm asking a genuine question and not ripping into anyone or looking for a scapegoat. I've also asked the same folk the same question that I go with week in week out and have much the same opinion as me.

So, i'll ask you the same question, what does he bring to the team that makes him a standout? Oh, and FWIW, I would love to see the guy put in a real decent performance as I do with all the players.

He's had maybe 2 bad games since he came in, was asked to be a DM even though that isn't his game. What I've seen in his good games is a clever midfielder who can get stuck in and keeps the ball ticking along in midfield. He looks a bit leggy right now and maybe needs a rest, he hadn't had a lot of football before he came to us, probably catching up with him. An upgrade on Slivka who hasn't improved in nearly 3 years.

supermcginn
23-01-2020, 09:40 AM
You say that but in some of your most recent posts you have strongly criticised slivka, kamberi , marciano and doidge?

green with envy
23-01-2020, 09:45 AM
He's had maybe 2 bad games since he came in, was asked to be a DM even though that isn't his game. What I've seen in his good games is a clever midfielder who can get stuck in and keeps the ball ticking along in midfield. He looks a bit leggy right now and maybe needs a rest, he hadn't had a lot of football before he came to us, probably catching up with him. An upgrade on Slivka who hasn't improved in nearly 3 years.

Better reply than your first effort.

SquashedFrogg
23-01-2020, 09:46 AM
Well said. I recall similar said about Bartley and Milligan, both of whom are now, according to some, the greatest thing since sliced bread and who we are missing.

Hallberg had a bad game last night but prior to that has often been holding the middle of the park for us single handedly without much support. He both wins and retains possession well and is mobile enough to cover a lot of territory. I think he'll benefit from Omeonga and possibly another cm to come.

Not for throwing players under the bus after one poor 45 mins.

Agree with this. As a team, our performances have been inconsistent for a while now. And, as a result, so have some of the players performances.

For example, Newell played very well last night and is rightly getting praised. Give him 2 or 3 below par performances then it'll be the usual "not good enough, can't pass, doesn't try etc". It seems to be the players are continuously critiqued, minute-by-minute these days by some. Game by game they're either 'amazing' or 'sh*te'.

For me Halberg has shown enough across a stop-start season to suggest that he will be an important asset to our team/squad. In 5 months he's played under 2 managers, in various systems, alongside multiple team mates in a new country/league in front of a disgruntled support.

I think what we all need is a period of stability to allow players to settle, integrate and perform in a positive environment.

FWIW I think Bartley has become a mythical figure (see Matty Jack) who wasn't actually as good as people remember.

makaveli1875
23-01-2020, 09:46 AM
You say that but in some of your most recent posts you have strongly criticised slivka, kamberi , marciano and doidge?

Theres criticising bad performances then theres starting a thread saying they are absolutely ***** , bring nothing to the team and not good enough for hibs

J-C
23-01-2020, 09:51 AM

Yep and I'll still criticise when they play badly, here you go Allan was awful last night as he was on sunday but he's still one of our most creative players. So far Hallberg has has far more good games than bad, if he continues to be cack for the rest of the season then we can be more critical but 2 bad games isn't enough to be calling him out.

Brightside
23-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Hallberg is a good signing. The setup last night didnt work for him at all. Despite others claiming he was a box to box player i dont think he has the energy for it. He's a holding mid all day long for me - especially in the SPL where the game is so fast.

Tyler Durden
23-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Not very mobile or dynamic.

I would say the opposite, he gets about the park well and covers a lot of ground. He’s been criticised for a poor finish at the weekend but look at the energy and the run he made to get into the box. He hit the target and the keeper makes a good save.

For me he is a good passer, has good positional discipline and he can tackle. Not every player needs to be “a stand out”. He’s doing the dirty work.

Wasn’t at the game last night but he’s not alone in playing poorly. And let’s not forget he’s only what 22?

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 09:54 AM
Yep and I'll still criticise when they play badly, here you go Allan was awful last night as he was on sunday but he's still one of our most creative players. So far Hallberg has has far more good games than bad, if he continues to be cack for the rest of the season then we can be more critical but 2 bad games isn't enough to be calling him out.

Genuine question, when were all his good games? He’s never been as bad as he was last night but, on the flip side, I can’t remember the last time I came away thinking he’d played well. Maybe Aberdeen when the whole team played well. He’s busy and covers a lot of ground but isn’t contributing nearly enough IMO.

supermcginn
Theres criticising bad performances then theres starting a thread saying they are absolutely ***** , bring nothing to the team and not good enough for hibs
He said slivka was garbage and marciano pish last night, that's what I call ripping to shreds. The op is well within his rights to say the same about hallberg.

J-C
I would say the opposite, he gets about the park well and covers a lot of ground. He’s been criticised for a poor finish at the weekend but look at the energy and the run he made to get into the box. He hit the target and the keeper makes a good save.

For me he is a good passer, has good positional discipline and he can tackle. Not every player needs to be “a stand out”. He’s doing the dirty work.

Wasn’t at the game last night but he’s not alone in playing poorly. And let’s not forget he’s only what 22?

👍👏

J-C
23-01-2020, 09:58 AM
He said slivka was garbage and marciano pish last night, that's what I call ripping to shreds. The op is well within his rights to say the same about hallberg.

Nobody is denying Hallberg had a stinker, in fact all 11 players were crap in the 1st half.

SMAXXA
23-01-2020, 10:00 AM
Bipolar Hibs fans in knee jerk reaction exclusive

supermcginn
23-01-2020, 10:01 AM
Nobody is denying Hallberg had a stinker, in fact all 11 players were crap in the 1st half.
So you surely cant criticise someone for saying someone was awful and tell them to support the players when you have been just as critical of not just 1 but 4 players? That's my point, anyway hopefully a new DM comes in this week.

J-C

For what i've seen from him since he joined is that he looks pretty comfortable on the ball without doing an awful lot with it. During the games he seems to hide a lot by not offering himself on collecting the ball, he doesn't have a tackle in him, his attempts at goal whether it being long range or from inside the box are pretty woeful. I had high hopes for him when he first arrived but on the last 5/6 games performances, i'm now not so sure

This is the OP, nothing about last night but asking about Hallberg over a period of time.

Smartie
Hallberg is a very good player who has been excellent since he joined. He was absolutely pish last night.

He's a good all-round player and sometimes you need them in midfield. There aren't any weaknesses in his game, he gets up and down the park, passes well and makes tackles.

For whatever reason the team were miles off it last night playing a formation that has never suited them and Hallberg was as out of sorts as anyone.

I quite like the idea of him in midfield with Omeonga, there's an awful lot of energy in there that opposition would need to match.

Not good enough for Hibs? Crazy talk.

Poor last night? Aye.

J-C
23-01-2020, 10:06 AM
So you surely cant criticise someone for saying someone was awful and tell them to support the players when you have been just as critical of not just 1 but 4 players? That's my point, anyway hopefully a new DM comes in this week.

Read the OP again,hes not criticising 1 game but the player, I'll criticise a performance when it's justified because I pay hard earned cash to Hibs and I'm entitled to my opinion but Hallberg has generally been one of our better performers since he came, a wee blip doesn't make him pi sh.

Centre Hawf
Not long ago we were raving about him but now he's the new villain. Boys been a great signing imo and the only one in midfield that I can safely say has impressed me consistently. Admittedly he was poor last night and at the weekend but I guarantee he does the hidden work that if we were to drop him for someone else they wouldn't think to do and we'd find ourselves conceding more than we already do.

Maybe a rest could do him good with Omeonga coming in but he's certainly my first pick central midfielder if you ask me our strongest team.

Nicho87
First bad game for him.

On some of the squads previous games, I think we should let him have it.

Slivka on the other hand. How many chances, no where near good enough or consistent. Bin him

Diclonius
23-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Amazing what one bad game does eh?

GIBBY NEWTON
23-01-2020, 10:12 AM

I think there’s a player there who recently is’nt producing enough in mfield with or without the ball & like many players especially lately the game passes him by. We have seen so many poor team displays of lately where the manager is’nt getting the best out of the team.
My personal opinion is the amount of space we give the opposition call it zonal whatever defence or midfield we seem unable to compete for the ball. Last night Hamilton in the 1st half is how i’d like to at least see us compete for the ball they certainly gave a poor Hibs setup a going over for sure.
2nd half Jack made the subs & changed our style of play for me with mfield & attack know gaining the upper hand & we deservedly took the 3pts from a cynical Hamilton outfit who got away with murder from a poor referee imo.
I don’t profess to be any more knowledgable than the next guy but for me Hallberg round peg square hole,playing as a zonal defensive midfielder the game in the main passes us by.
Sunday’s game I thought from what I seen with my own eyes at Tannadice both Whittaker ,Hallberg & others positional play allowed Utd at times the freedom to move forward at will. Since the Celtic game when I felt we started ok but got run over in MF due on many occasions to being outnumbered & zonal position of players imo gave the opposition the upper hand & results certainly did’nt go our way.
Bottom line I don’t know it all,last nights 3 subs gave us what we needed & I was delighted to watch us take all 3 points a great result & a comeback a bit like the Livy game at ER. Newell showed a different string to his bow(me writing him off after many poor displays pre season).

Back to the main question Hallberg can play a part if we find him the right position,our team has to give more play as one & stop giving the opposition too much space. I’ll leave that to Jack Ross & hope he can get us playing consistently with the endeavour we showed 2nb half & we can recruit some good pros to our squad. If Efe is still free he’d be on my list square peg round hole he’s a player we Miss!

supermcginn
23-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Read the OP again,hes not criticising 1 game but the player, I'll criticise a performance when it's justified because I pay hard earned cash to Hibs and I'm entitled to my opinion but Hallberg has generally been one of our better performers since he came, a wee blip doesn't make him pi sh.
Doidge has been our best player apart from boyle last two months but you said yesterday it must have been a kick in the teeth for shaw that he gets a game in front of him. That opinion obviously isn't based on one game and is an opinion on the player as a whole. Anyway back on thread...

green with envy
23-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Amazing what one bad game does eh?

Would that be last night or the recent cup game against DUTD or Livi away before the split.

basehibby
23-01-2020, 10:34 AM

ABSOLUTE GARBAGE - you must have a very short memory and have completely forgotten the problems we had earlier in the season with a midfield that could not tackle a fish supper and was run through at will by the opposition.

While it's not his natural position (he's billed more as a Box to Box midfielder), Halberg made an instant impact by contributing strongly to the protection of a beleagered defence - and, unsurprisingly, this has lead to him being an ever present ever since his arrival. I gather he didn't have a great game last night but this is the exception rather than the rule for what has been a very tidy and consistent performer - your post is an exercise in kneejerk nonsense.

J-C
23-01-2020, 10:40 AM
Doidge has been our best player apart from boyle last two months but you said yesterday it must have been a kick in the teeth for shaw that he gets a game in front of him. That opinion obviously isn't based on one game and is an opinion on the player as a whole. Anyway back on thread...

I'm no big fan of Doidge but he works hard and you can't deny he scoring some goals but I can understand why Shaw left,

SquashedFrogg
23-01-2020, 10:42 AM
Would that be last night or the recent cup game against DUTD or Livi away before the split.

In the interests of balance I'd say the entire team were poor away to Livi, poor the first 45 last night and not particularly great against Dundee Utd. He's one player in a team.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 10:46 AM
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE - you must have a very short memory and have completely forgotten the problems we had earlier in the season with a midfield that could not tackle a fish supper and was run through at will by the opposition.

While it's not his natural position (he's billed more as a Box to Box midfielder), Halberg made an instant impact by contributing strongly to the protection of a beleagered defence - and, unsurprisingly, this has lead to him being an ever present ever since his arrival. I gather he didn't have a great game last night but this is the exception rather than the rule for what has been a very tidy and consistent performer - your post is an exercise in kneejerk nonsense.

Hallberg made his first appearance in the fourth league game of the season. Problems that existed then still exist now.

Brightside
23-01-2020, 10:49 AM
No one is ever good enough for Hibs. tbh it doesnt matter what team you support there will always be supporters that will continually say players in the squad are not good enough. We arent Barcelona....we are a top league scottish team. Curb the expectations perhaps.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 10:53 AM
No one is ever good enough for Hibs. tbh it doesnt matter what team you support there will always be supporters that will continually say players in the squad are not good enough. We arent Barcelona....we are a top league scottish team. Curb the expectations perhaps.

It’s relative to the level you play at. My expectations of what is a good Hibs player are totally different to my expectations of what a good Barcelona player is.

This season we have had players who are poor Scottish Premiership players or who have performed poorly in the Scottish Premiership. I don’t include Hallberg as being poor, but he’s certainly not been consistently good.

supermcginn
23-01-2020, 10:57 AM
That's all well and good but when we are behind the likes of livingston who play in front of one man and his dog its not unreasonable that folk want us to be better and sign better players.

Brightside
23-01-2020, 10:58 AM
It’s relative to the level you play at. My expectations of what is a good Hibs player are totally different to my expectations of what a good Barcelona player is.

This season we have had players who are poor Scottish Premiership players or who have performed poorly in the Scottish Premiership. I don’t include Hallberg as being poor, but he’s certainly not been consistently good.

nobody is....that the beauty of Hibs and our league.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 11:03 AM
nobody is....that the beauty of Hibs and our league.

Totally disagree. There are plenty players in the league who play well consistently. Again it’s relative to the level you play at. As with your Barcelona example they have players who are good more often than not. The ones who are stay at that level, the ones who aren’t don’t.

We’re exactly the same but on a different scale.

green with envy
23-01-2020, 11:31 AM

I get that he has been ever present as I have watched him play in every game since he joined Hibs and if it was "kneejerk nonsense", I wouldn't have singled him out after a win. I feel i'm pretty well justified in giving my well constructed opinion of him without saying that he is rubbish or useless or get him to f*** etc. As a regular H&A follower of Hibs, I hardly ever single players for criticism but I have took more of an interest in his play these past few games and have kept asking myself what it is he's bringing to the table.

I get that he's tidy/comfortable as i'm sure you're aware that I said so in my OP, however that in its self is not enough for me. He was non existent in the recent cup game and was out-shown by Whitaker for who had never started a game in months let alone in midfield. I could go on with other appearances but I won't.

Perhaps there is a player that can bring much more when he finds his proper position (and I genuinely hope there is) but until that happens, i'm more than comfortable with my recent assessment of him.

Lago
23-01-2020, 11:36 AM
:aok:

WeeRussell
23-01-2020, 11:38 AM

Then why not just reply with that instead of havering about Vela, Scapegoats and supporting the team, in order to have a dig at the OP :confused:

I'm sure the OP pays heard earned cash to watch us and is entitled to his opinion too. And equally entitled to ask for others' views while he's at it.

basehibby
23-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Hallberg made his first appearance in the fourth league game of the season. Problems that existed then still exist now.

Of course Hallberg's signing was not a panacea to all our ills - but he undoubtably improved matters significantly in the exact problem area I described. You'd have to have been blind not to notice.

basehibby
23-01-2020, 12:13 PM
I get that he has been ever present as I have watched him play in every game since he joined Hibs and if it was "kneejerk nonsense", I wouldn't have singled him out after a win. I feel i'm pretty well justified in giving my well constructed opinion of him without saying that he is rubbish or useless or get him to f*** etc. As a regular H&A follower of Hibs, I hardly ever single players for criticism but I have took more of an interest in his play these past few games and have kept asking myself what it is he's bringing to the table.

I get that he's tidy/comfortable as i'm sure you're aware that I said so in my OP, however that in its self is not enough for me. He was non existent in the recent cup game and was out-shown by Whitaker for who had never started a game in months let alone in midfield. I could go on with other appearances but I won't.

Perhaps there is a player that can bring much more when he finds his proper position (and I genuinely hope there is) but until that happens, i'm more than comfortable with my recent assessment of him.

One thing your detailed assessment appears to have completely missed - obviously bringing Whittaker into the team as a midfield anchor changed the shape and - in particular - the role Hallberg was asked to play in the midfield. Such changes can lead to an inconsistency in performance. But as it goes, for the record I did NOT see anything wrong with Hallberg's performance against Dundee Utd - save missing a shot which he perhaps should have done better with. Perhaps if you go out looking to find fault though you will inevitably find it.

You may not have outright said anyone is "rubbish or useless or get him to f*** etc" but you have started a thread specifically targeting a player and inviting critical comments from other posters. I don't know if you read a recent interview with Lewis Stevenson but I think you should. In it he makes it 100% clear that players do read social media and that his own confidence was severely impacted by negative comments. On these grounds I for one object to the airing of unwarranted criticism of any Hibs player.

In my opinion your OP is way off the mark and the criticism IS unwarranted. You asked for opinions - so you've got one right there!

allezsauzee
23-01-2020, 12:17 PM
I often wonder about the mindset of the OP in these types of post. Do they sit waiting for certain players to have a bad game or are they just prone to change their mind about players and then rewrite history in their own head as how players have performed before that bad game. Whatever the case here, Hallberg has been pretty decent so far but he was pretty disappointing last night as were the other players who were subbed. I'd like to think it was just an off night.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Of course Hallberg's signing was not a panacea to all our ills - but he undoubtably improved matters significantly in the exact problem area I described. You'd have to have been blind not to notice.

I’m not blind and there, IMO, hasn’t been a significant improvement in the middle of the park with him in there. I don’t think it’s his position so that’s not entirely down to him. The problem that existed all summer still exists now, with Hallberg and without. Tell me what he’s done that has significantly improved us?

green with envy
23-01-2020, 12:46 PM
One thing your detailed assessment appears to have completely missed - obviously bringing Whittaker into the team as a midfield anchor changed the shape and - in particular - the role Hallberg was asked to play in the midfield. Such changes can lead to an inconsistency in performance. But as it goes, for the record I did NOT see anything wrong with Hallberg's performance against Dundee Utd - save missing a shot which he perhaps should have done better with. Perhaps if you go out looking to find fault though you will inevitably find it.

You may not have outright said anyone is "rubbish or useless or get him to f*** etc" but you have started a thread specifically targeting a player and inviting critical comments from other posters. I don't know if you read a recent interview with Lewis Stevenson but I think you should. In it he makes it 100% clear that players do read social media and that his own confidence was severely impacted by negative comments. On these grounds I for one object to the airing of unwarranted criticism of any Hibs player.

In my opinion your OP is way off the mark and the criticism IS unwarranted. You asked for opinions - so you've got one right there!

I asked posters for their opinion and not critical opinions. I followed on by giving mine. There has been quite a lot of positive posts RE: Halberg as there has also been quite a few that are in agreement with me and there are others that i'll just let go over my head.

I'm more than happy with the positive opinions and i'll keep on watching with interest in his potential development.

jacomo
23-01-2020, 12:53 PM

You are being hysterical.

I don’t see any ripping to shreds or scapegoating here, just folk questioning a player after a poor performance.

Brooster
23-01-2020, 12:56 PM
I've asked this question before, what is he actually good at? I dont think he's good enough, Newall did more in 45 mins in that role than Hallberg has done all season.

jacomo
23-01-2020, 12:57 PM
FWIW I think Hallberg has done more for us than Vela did and more than Slivka has contributed so far this season.

I think he is a useful, tidy player but not a holding midfielder (or at least he needs someone alongside him).

green with envy
23-01-2020, 01:00 PM
I often wonder about the mindset of the OP in these types of post. Do they sit waiting for certain players to have a bad game or are they just prone to change their mind about players and then rewrite history in their own head as how players have performed before that bad game. Whatever the case here, Hallberg has been pretty decent so far but he was pretty disappointing last night as were the other players who were subbed. I'd like to think it was just an off night.

If you knew me you would know that it is not the case with me I could have done that after I got home from the game up in Dingwall as he had a stinker that night as was consequently subbed for that reason.

My OP was genuine. It's not like it's not been discussed in the pub after recent games. I liked him when he first came and still do. I've already stated that i've watched every game that he's played in with the exception of the game in Spain assuming that he played, that for gave me enough credit to ask a question not on one game but as i've already stated numerous games. If you don't agree, that's your choice and I respect that but i'm not having you coming out with rubbish like i'm waiting for any particular player to have bad games so i can post it on here.

Green_one
23-01-2020, 01:15 PM
I like him but overall Hibs are struggling to find a balanced midfield. Its all over the place. Omeonga is another factor to be woven in.

Basically I think we have too many players who are similar and when they are played together look flat.

For me, Omeonga and Allan are good contrasts. so the others are fighting over one spot. That might include a defensive midfield signing

WhileTheChief..
23-01-2020, 01:20 PM

So you’re allowed to be critical cause you’ve paid your hard end cash but if anyone else does it they’ve made the player a scapegoat?

That seems fair right enough!!

J-C
23-01-2020, 01:26 PM
So you’re allowed to be critical cause you’ve paid your hard end cash but if anyone else does it they’ve made the player a scapegoat?

That seems fair right enough!!

The OP wasn't having a go at 1 or 2 bad games he's had, he was questioning his overall game since he's been here, when the truth of the matter is he's been one of our better players since he arrived. By all means criticise the odd bad game but not all of them when he's actually been very decent.

basehibby
23-01-2020, 01:30 PM
I’m not blind and there, IMO, hasn’t been a significant improvement in the middle of the park with him in there. I don’t think it’s his position so that’s not entirely down to him. The problem that existed all summer still exists now, with Hallberg and without. Tell me what he’s done that has significantly improved us?

Closed down runners in the middle of the park and linked up well coming out of defence. These are things that should be routine in any successful side. They were anything but in this Hibs side at the start of the season. Things HAVE improved markedly since then and, I reiterate, you would have to be blind not to have noticed.

Begbie79
23-01-2020, 01:35 PM
The sad thing is there are only 2 Hibs players that avoid the bashing from the clueless, boo brigade on here and on the facebook pages, Scott Allan & Martin Boyle.

Its basically fair game on the rest of the squad, the posts on the official Hibs Facebook at 1-0 down at half time yesterday were perfect to sum it up. The usual boring, thoughtless, non productive and increasingly repetitive pish, "Hanlon Past it" "Stevensons finished" "Kamberi's a wage thief"

Its moved from online & social media to the stands. You here the same crap belted out by these twats constantly. Its boring as ****. Fair enough some players have bad games here and there but they play for the club we support so its not that difficult to get behind them.

This win every time and win well mentality thats instilled into the majority of our support is absolutely rotten.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 01:46 PM
Closed down runners in the middle of the park and linked up well coming out of defence. These are things that should be routine in any successful side. They were anything but in this Hibs side at the start of the season. Things HAVE improved markedly since then and, I reiterate, you would have to be blind not to have noticed.

Stop talking pish about folk being blind because they happen to disagree with your point of view.

A significant improvement is what Boyle has given us. Hallberg hasn’t significantly improved us. He’s been somewhere between good and poor and midfield is still our biggest issue. He’s also played all but three of our games in the league.

green with envy
23-01-2020, 02:01 PM
The OP wasn't having a go at 1 or 2 bad games he's had, he was questioning his overall game since he's been here, when the truth of the matter is he's been one of our better players since he arrived. By all means criticise the odd bad game but not all of them when he's actually been very decent.

Are you for real?

Read through my posts and tell me where I was questioning his overall game since he's been here? You may see last 5/6.

If your'e going to quote me, make sure you get it right.

green with envy
23-01-2020, 02:11 PM
I like him but overall Hibs are struggling to find a balanced midfield. Its all over the place. Omeonga is another factor to be woven in.

Basically I think we have too many players who are similar and when they are played together look flat.

For me, Omeonga and Allan are good contrasts. so the others are fighting over one spot. That might include a defensive midfield signing

That is is a very good point. Perhaps when the balance has been sorted out, Halberg can play in a roll that he is more suited to.

WeeRussell
23-01-2020, 02:59 PM

Even if he was, why is it down to you to decide how many games a poster is allowed to be critical of? Just because in your opinion he is one of our better players.

You've said you're not a Doidge fan. Should we be pulling you up as he's been our best goalscorer for the past few months?

I stand by my opinion that you were being silly in jumping on the OP ranting about Vela and Scapegoats just because your opinion differs from his, especially as you then went on to defend your own criticism of other players.

FWIW I'm inclined to agree more with the OP than your "truth of the matter" that he's one of our better players.

basehibby
23-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Stop talking pish about folk being blind because they happen to disagree with your point of view.

A significant improvement is what Boyle has given us. Hallberg hasn’t significantly improved us. He’s been somewhere between good and poor and midfield is still our biggest issue. He’s also played all but three of our games in the league.

If you noticed no difference to the shape and performance of the midfield after Hallberg's arrival then you ARE blind - either that or you refuse to see. Prior to that we were playing Mallan in the sitting role and we were getting waltzed through like noone was there. Hence results like 6-1 at Ibrox and 3-0 at Motherwell.

Like I said he's no panacea - there is always room for improvement afterall. But to state that Hallberg hasn't improved us is precisely talking pish.

emerald green
23-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Whatever your opinion on Hallberg as a footballer (and Slivka and Allan), things improved dramatically once all three were substituted last night.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 05:08 PM
If you noticed no difference to the shape and performance of the midfield after Hallberg's arrival then you ARE blind - either that or you refuse to see. Prior to that we were playing Mallan in the sitting role and we were getting waltzed through like noone was there. Hence results like 6-1 at Ibrox and 3-0 at Motherwell.

Like I said he's no panacea - there is always room for improvement afterall. But to state that Hallberg hasn't improved us is precisely talking pish.

You need to read back my posts. I’m arguing the point that he hasn’t significantly improved us. He might have improved us, but slightly as opposed to significantly.

What about the five we conceded to Celtic, three going on ten to The Rangers at Easter Road, the numerous games we’ve conceded two? All with him in the holding role.

As it happens, the upturn in results didn’t really coincide with him coming in to the team either. I don’t think he was in a winning team for about two months. And, again, the issue is still exactly the same as it was before he was signed.

Percy Vere
23-01-2020, 05:19 PM

I’m with you on this, but it’s been asked in a reasonable way. Not the oftentimes character assassination. I’d like to see more of him in his natural position. We shall see.

The Harp Awakes
23-01-2020, 05:47 PM

I think Halberg has played a big part in Hibs climbing to mid-table after a horrendous start to the season. He's brought a bit of balance to a tackle shy midfield with no strength. If/when we recruit a physical, holding midfielder I think Halberg will improve. He is asked to do too much in the current midfield. Allan and Slivka were pedestrian last night.

I agree he has been poor in recent weeks though. One thing I notice about him is that he always looks totally knackered when he leaves the park at half time or full time. Last night he was so knackered coming off at half time every step was an effort. Maybe a fitness issue not helping there either.

green with envy
23-01-2020, 06:13 PM
I think Halberg has played a big part in Hibs climbing to mid-table after a horrendous start to the season. He's brought a bit of balance to a tackle shy midfield with no strength. If/when we recruit a physical, holding midfielder I think Halberg will improve. He is asked to do too much in the current midfield. Allan and Slivka were pedestrian last night.

I agree he has been poor in recent weeks though. One thing I notice about him is that he always looks totally knackered when he leaves the park at half time or full time. Last night he was so knackered coming off at half time every step was an effort. Maybe a fitness issue not helping there either.

A well though out constructive reply. I would be more than happy to see him improve.

theonlywayisup
24-01-2020, 11:28 AM

I can understand why you and others ask that question.

Whilst avoiding it for the moment, I do like to turn player analysis into our own everyday working environment. No-one is perfect and I'm sure that everyone at work oscillates from being very effective to very ineffective at various times of the day. Those who are more consistent & better at their job will tend to get better jobs. What affects your performance at work can be a multitude of things, including whether you're struggling with an illness, or have personal issues away from work, or have issues with colleagues, or you're confused with what you're being asked to do, your experience and maturity etc etc etc. The list is very long.

Imagine also you then having 15,000 'supporters' screaming at you and watching your every move, with decision making being down to nano-seconds.

Thinking about Halberg, what does he do? Well I think he's doing okay, but he's not a "McGinn" or a "Scott Allan". I would agree with your comments about what he doesn't do. However, in the right environment and the right encouragement, I think he could do well at Hibs.