PDA

View Full Version : Throw Ins

The Modfather
23-01-2020, 08:48 AM
For all that David Gray gives us, he also hinders a lot of our counter attacks IMO. He takes an unnecessarily long time, even allowing for the lack of movement, to actually take a throw in. By which time the other team are set and we’re marked up again. We’re far from perfect, but don’t seem to have the same problems on the left. I get that Gray will be closest to take throw ins most of the time but I’d be telling whoever is nearest the ball to take it and take it quickly. I can feel myself aging when we it’s a David Gray throw in.

FitbaFolkKen
23-01-2020, 08:50 AM
For all that David Gray gives us, he also hinders a lot of our counter attacks IMO. He takes an unnecessarily long time, even allowing for the lack of movement, to actually take a throw in. By which time the other team are set and we’re marked up again. We’re far from perfect, but don’t seem to have the same problems on the left. I get that Gray will be closest to take throw ins most of the time but I’d be telling whoever is nearest the ball to take it and take it quickly. I can feel myself aging when we it’s a David Gray throw in.

There was one in the first half where he was giving Allan dogs abuse after it for not moving. Bunch of statues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones28
23-01-2020, 08:50 AM
The last time we took a decisive throw in was Kamberi up in Dundee when Mcnulty scores our first.

FilipinoHibs
23-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Throw ins been our Achilles heel for years. Easy to coach just look at how our goalies distribution is generally fast and to one of our players.

Jim44
23-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Groundhog Day. We’re equally bad on both sides and have been for years. I don’t think we home into this in training. If we do, the message isn’t getting home. A throw in for us is usually a 50-50 chance for the opposition.

Steve-O
23-01-2020, 08:56 AM
We should bring in Darren Jackson as throw-ins coach.

we are hibs
23-01-2020, 08:58 AM
The thrower isnt the problem its the lazy *******s standing watching and waiting for someone else to move instead of doing it themselves. Amatuer stuff.

AlbertK86
23-01-2020, 09:16 AM
Yep been ridiculously bad for years.

Basic movement and showing for the ball is very very poor

Hibee Ryan
23-01-2020, 09:20 AM
Sure Liverpool have a coach specifically for throw ins? Obviously we probably don’t have the budget for that but it’s an important part of the game and we do need to look at it.

Need to make use of every single opportunity on the pitch and you probably get about 20 - 40 throw ins a game and if you’re good at them it will definitely have an impact over the course of a game.

greenpaper55
23-01-2020, 10:01 AM
Been a problem for years, last time we were any good was when Shades took them.

Anthony Soprano
23-01-2020, 10:02 AM
The lack of urgency at points last night was frustrating, too many times we had a chance to take a quick throw in and go on the counter and players are wandering over, standing still, looking around them. This was at 1-0

Don't think we had more than 2 players looking for the ball at any of the throw ins last night

FilipinoHibs
23-01-2020, 10:47 AM
Basics are take it quickly stopping people being marked up. Have several players looking for the ball with movement. Don't take the tightest option.First player to the ball takes it.

penihibs
23-01-2020, 10:57 AM
The thrower isnt the problem its the lazy *******s standing watching and waiting for someone else to move instead of doing it themselves. Amatuer stuff.
That sums it up well.

lyonhibs
23-01-2020, 11:04 AM
This must be the most common thread title apart from "Lewis Stevenson" in the history of Hibs.net which tells its own story.

J-C
23-01-2020, 11:14 AM
There was one in the first half where he was giving Allan dogs abuse after it for not moving. Bunch of statues.

This.

No one moves, been like this for far too long.

hibee_girl
23-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Doidge was screaming at Allan to move into space at one of the throw ins but Allan just stood static

JimBHibees
23-01-2020, 11:46 AM
Seems to be a total lack of movement or coordinated movement. Also imo players are too close to the ball limiting the space, players should get out the way then come in to receive or pass back to thrower. We struggle to stop other teams getting the ball back to the thrower also.

Jack Hackett
23-01-2020, 11:49 AM
If I'm watching a game on tv, I'll go and make a cup of tea if SDG is taking a throw. Have done for years now

Greenbeard
23-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Was bad last night for sure. Need yon Bruno Tolioni boy from Strictly to choreograph some set moves and coded calls amongst three players, turning this way, that way, forwards and backwards, over the Irish Sea to bamboozle the defenders, with the shy taker anticipating the moves and throwing in on cue to the coded recipient. Can't be that difficult - like line-out codes in rugby. That or I was coached as a kid that if there was nothing on, fire it hard down the touchline and the likelihood is you'll get another shy further up the pitch. Usually worked.

jingler1954
23-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Not only throw ins but corners as well. When was the last time we scored from a corner? 2016 maybe.

Deansy
23-01-2020, 01:02 PM
I've been tearing my hair out at Hibs throw-ins since the 70's !

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2020, 04:59 PM
I've been tearing my hair out at Hibs throw-ins since the 70's !

I agree Baldy.

Hibeesmad
23-01-2020, 05:07 PM

It's really infuriating!

Jim44
23-01-2020, 05:23 PM
I’d like to think that most of our players have half a brain when it comes to throw in tactics, but it’s rarely obvious. I put most of the blame in the lack of good coaching. I’ve become quite paranoid about this and often look at other teams’ movement at throw ins. We are lagging light years behind most of our opponents. I’m sure a lot of folk will find this a minor detail but it is more of an issue than you would expect.

Broken Gnome
23-01-2020, 05:37 PM
The most competent throw in we took last night was level with Hamilton's 18 yard line, and still took us back to Hanlon inside our own half within 10 seconds. It's like we've decided it's a mere throw-in and nothing good can really come of them, so why bother.

Half the problem was only having three 'runners' involved. Even if they aren't static they were all occupying much the same place, and all it would have taken was Hallberg or Jackson nice forward ten yards and take it to feet unopposed.

kaimendhibs
23-01-2020, 05:47 PM
Biggest gripe for me for at least ten years

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

hhibs
23-01-2020, 07:01 PM
Biggest gripe for me for at least ten years

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Over 30years for me,not since days of Shades,does my head in !

drumatic44
23-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Is it just me ,or does anyone agree that the 'ball boys' could get off their collective erchies a bit quicker in the getting ball and moving things along. There was a point last night when John Potter had to retreave the ball while a wee guy just sat on his stool watching !! Anyone see Totenham's goal the other week due to a quick thinking ball boy. It even drew praise and a smile from miserable Mourinho. sort it !!

Vault Boy
23-01-2020, 07:10 PM
I think Hibs are as poor as most other teams at throw ins, making them average.

The stats show most teams don't do a great job of retaining possession from a throw. We notice this more from our own team than the opposition, however the truth is we're probably no worse than the majority of teams in the league.

Those few teams that work on exploiting a long throw break the usual mould and it's quite beneficial, though not particularly consistent.

Jack Hackett
23-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Is it just me ,or does anyone agree that the 'ball boys' could get off their collective erchies a bit quicker in the getting ball and moving things along. There was a point last night when John Potter had to retreave the ball while a wee guy just sat on his stool watching !! Anyone see Totenham's goal the other week due to a quick thinking ball boy. It even drew praise and a smile from miserable Mourinho. sort it !!

Do they actually get any training as such? Where do we get them from? Situational awareness is something these kids should be taught as a matter of course, and to their benefit if they want to pursue a football career