PDA

View Full Version : Jackson

Monts
22-01-2020, 09:36 PM
Played well tonight. Comfortable on the ball. I wasn't sure he was the right choice when I saw his name on the team sheet but he proved me wrong.

SMAXXA
22-01-2020, 09:40 PM
Excellent great ball into flo for the first goal and some really good cross field balls. Will be a bit time before he gets up to top speed but for hardly playing I thought he was motm

Smartie
22-01-2020, 09:47 PM
I thought he was very good.

He’s calm and assured and tbh he’s not done much wrong in a Hibs shirt.

Jdawg
22-01-2020, 09:48 PM
Played well tonight. Comfortable on the ball. I wasn't sure he was the right choice when I saw his name on the team sheet but he proved me wrong.

should be punting Hanlon before Jackson. Can actually win a duel in the air.

Hibeesmad
22-01-2020, 09:51 PM
Thought Jackson should have been put in alongside Porteous back when Hecky was still here. Would be surprised to see him go to Bolton now unless we bring someone else in.

MWHIBBIES
22-01-2020, 09:52 PM

Shouldn't be punting either, especially not a good player like Hanlon. Good again tonight.

FilipinoHibs
22-01-2020, 09:52 PM
Good but too many long Halonesque long balls in first half. Ross obviously told him to cut it out at half time

Tricla
22-01-2020, 09:53 PM

Aye. Shame Hanlon cannae win a header. He would have scored at the end if he was any good in the air. 🙄

wookie70
22-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Thought he was very good in the second half.

Lewiehas2
22-01-2020, 09:55 PM

Clearly not watching the game. The big huddie they threw up top didn't win a header in the first half when matched up against Hanlon but got some change out of big Jackson in the 2nd. Wish people would stop seeing what they want to see with some players

neil7908
22-01-2020, 09:59 PM
Has generally looked solid when I've seen him. Happy to have him in the team.

SMAXXA
22-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Clearly not watching the game. The big huddie they threw up top didn't win a header in the first half when matched up against Hanlon but got some change out of big Jackson in the 2nd. Wish people would stop seeing what they want to see with some players

To be fair I thought the big unit gave them both a hard time at times which isn’t anything to criticise either about as he was a man mountain and you simply won’t win all the headers against him.

CockneyRebel
22-01-2020, 10:02 PM

Pretty much how I saw it - dominant in the air, won most of the headers he went for. A couple of wayward crossfield passes and one stumble is not bad over 95 minutes.

The 90+2
22-01-2020, 10:04 PM
I thought he was crap first half and Gray has to cover for him. Second he wasn’t tested as much. We need much much better tbh.

ancient hibee
22-01-2020, 10:04 PM
Is this Hanlon guy any relation to the one that scored the winner when he won a duel in the air?

Lewiehas2
22-01-2020, 10:05 PM
To be fair I thought the big unit gave them both a hard time at times which isn’t anything to criticise either about as he was a man mountain and you simply won’t win all the headers against him.

Agree that it's not a stick to beat Jackson with, just don't think we should be criticising Hanlon for not winning aerial duels when he dealt with the big boy well.

Hibby Kay-Yay
22-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Ross said that Hanlon was playing with a hamstring injury. I wonder if he’ll rest him and go with Jackson and McGregor on Sat.

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Jackson and Hanlon played well tonight but I would like to see the Hamilton goal again as per the Livvy game our defence looked a shambles

Hanlon had one brilliant tackle on Mickel Miller second half in our box that he timed perfectly and walked away with the ball

Lewis Stevenson seemed to have an inexplicable meltdown second half attacking down the left in possession and just seemed to run out of ideas and gave the ball away

Judging from his reaction he realised this held his head in his hands and gave himself a mental kick up the backside and carried on managing to stop the counter attack

Vault Boy
22-01-2020, 10:09 PM
I thought he way okay. Got the wrong side of the Hamilton forwards a couple of times and ended up fouling them, but he's not exactly played much football recently so that will be a contributing factor.

He was fine overall though and can clearly play a bit. We should certainly be keeping hold of him in light of recent injuries.

CentreLine
22-01-2020, 10:13 PM
I thought he was crap first half and Gray has to cover for him. Second he wasn’t tested as much. We need much much better tbh.

Watched him all night, he had one misplaced pass about ten mins in but didn’t put a foot wrong after that. He was solid, calm and assured on ball and read the game well. Some of his long passing was excellent. I agree that he had a hard time from the big bloke 99 but still gave a good account of himself. I hate to disagree with you but how anyone can use the word “crap” in relation to Jackson’s display tonight leaves me baffled.

SMAXXA
22-01-2020, 10:16 PM
Watched him all night, he had one misplaced pass about ten mins in but didn’t put a foot wrong after that. He was solid, calm and assured on ball and read the game well. Some of his long passing was excellent. I agree that he had a hard time from the big bloke 99 but still gave a good account of himself. I hate to disagree with you but how anyone can use the word “crap” in relation to Jackson’s display tonight leaves me baffled.

Your spot on

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 11:16 PM
Normally respect 90+2 but I agree far from crap

In our current predicament with injuries we need good solid pros like Adam Jackson at our club

California-Hibs
23-01-2020, 12:12 AM
Shouldn't be punting either, especially not a good player like Hanlon. Good again tonight.

Hanlon was FAR from 'good' last night! Fantastic that he got the winner, yes, but overall he had a pretty poor game. I honestly feel the time is up for him and Stevenson. We have the 2nd worse defense in the league for a reason

bigwheel
23-01-2020, 03:12 AM
Hanlon was FAR from 'good' last night! Fantastic that he got the winner, yes, but overall he had a pretty poor game. I honestly feel the time is up for him and Stevenson. We have the 2nd worse defense in the league for a reason

Ok then...other than one misplaced pass - what did Hanlon do wrong last night ?

scooby
23-01-2020, 06:48 AM
Hanlon had a good game last night, Jackson did too but he always plays it safe, no flair about him at all.
Just now and then I'd like him to drive forward rather than making a sideways pass.

Heisenberg
23-01-2020, 06:50 AM
Hanlon had a good game last night, Jackson did too but he always plays it safe, no flair about him at all.
Just now and then I'd like him to drive forward rather than making a sideways pass.

Flair? He’s a central defender 😂 Great pass from him into Flo for the first goal. Not every centre half is an Efe Ambrose unfortunately.

hibee_girl
23-01-2020, 07:00 AM

Stevenson was fine last night, he had one moment where he messed up a pass but you could see by his reaction to it that he was more frustrated with himself than any of us in the stands.

Hanlon had a bad first half last night but he came good in the end. He made some important tackles as well as scoring the winner. He’s far from needing replaced.

Stuart93
23-01-2020, 07:07 AM
Stevenson was fine last night, he had one moment where he messed up a pass but you could see by his reaction to it that he was more frustrated with himself than any of us in the stands.

Hanlon had a bad first half last night but he came good in the end. He made some important tackles as well as scoring the winner. He’s far from needing replaced.

Stevenson was pants last night especially in the 2nd half

Could’ve put us into trouble a lot more if Hamilton had punished him losing possession repeatedly

bigwheel
23-01-2020, 07:10 AM

Could’ve put us into trouble a lot more if Hamilton had punished him losing possession repeatedly

Exaggeration..think he lost possession 2-3 times max in the game ...blocked a number of dangerous crosses - and Did more well than his errors ..wasn’t his best game - but nowhere near as poor as you and some other are suggesting .

hibee_girl
23-01-2020, 07:11 AM

That’s just wrong. He maybe lost possession two or three times but footballers lose possession sometimes, it happens.

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 07:16 AM

“Crap” probably coincided with how I felt about about the whole performance in the first half and is harsh on the individual who was playing his first game in ages. He did get ragdolled by the big guy a couple of times and others covered for him but again, being harsh on one player. 👍

Smartie
23-01-2020, 07:16 AM

Hanlon was caught in possession a couple of times towards the end of the first half which might have been costly. He was dithering, waiting for an option to pass that never came. I thought he’d been fine until that point, as had Stevenson. They weren’t our biggest let downs during the first half.

It was a good 2nd half team performance - obviously the midfield was night and day but the defenders all did well. Lewis was sloppy once or twice, which he’ll know.

I get that our “goals against” stat isn’t great but I didn’t see much from the defence to concern me last night.

Col L
23-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Thought Jackson was okay in the second half, but that's as far as I would go. He's a bit ponderous for me, doesn't look particularly comfortable on the ball, and him and Hanlon got beaten umpteen times in the air by their big No 99 (Marios Ogkmpoe). Don't want to knock Jackson because him and Hanlon kept at it after a ropey first half, and showed a desire to drive us forward in the second half, and I was delighted to see Hanlon score the winner because god knows he needed something to lift his confidence.

SMAXXA
23-01-2020, 08:09 AM
Thought Jackson was okay in the second half, but that's as far as I would go. He's a bit ponderous for me, doesn't look particularly comfortable on the ball, and him and Hanlon got beaten umpteen times in the air by their big No 99 (Marios Ogkmpoe). Don't want to knock Jackson because him and Hanlon kept at it after a ropey first half, and showed a desire to drive us forward in the second half, and I was delighted to see Hanlon score the winner because god knows he needed something to lift his confidence.

I’d disagree and say that’s one of his best attributes he’s comfortable on the ball certainly more so than Mcgregor

BILLYHIBS
23-01-2020, 08:13 AM
I’d disagree and say that’s one of his best attributes he’s comfortable on the ball certainly more so than Mcgregor

:agree:

Comfortable and composed on the ball a very good passer and very good in the air

I wonder if he would make a good DM or part of a double DM in a four?

Col L
23-01-2020, 08:21 AM
:agree:

Comfortable and composed on the ball a very good passer and very good in the air

I wonder if he would make a good DM or part of a double DM in a four?

I agree that in the early games I saw him he was decent in the air, but him and Hanlon barely won an aerial challenge against the big felly last night and stronger teams would have punished us on the basis of all his flick-ons. I don't mean to be harsh on Jackson as it was his first game in ages, but on what I have seen of him at Hibs so far, he just doesn't particularly impress me.

PeeJay
23-01-2020, 08:24 AM
For all that's been said about how poor Jackson is I thought his performance was very good last night overall - be interesting to see if he keeps it up ...

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 08:24 AM
Hanlon was caught in possession a couple of times towards the end of the first half which might have been costly. He was dithering, waiting for an option to pass that never came. I thought he’d been fine until that point, as had Stevenson. They weren’t our biggest let downs during the first half.

It was a good 2nd half team performance - obviously the midfield was night and day but the defenders all did well. Lewis was sloppy once or twice, which he’ll know.

I get that our “goals against” stat isn’t great but I didn’t see much from the defence to concern me last night.

First 20 minutes, we were all over the place defensively.

The big guy who started up front for them was giving them a tough time. He was bullying them and holding on to the ball for them. Him getting injured was a good thing as the big guy who came in was just a big guy who ran about but he didn’t know how to play football.

Maybe due to lack of games, but Gray in that early part of the game was giving them all kinds of space when he went forward and simply couldn’t get back.

SMAXXA
23-01-2020, 08:27 AM
I agree that in the early games I saw him he was decent in the air, but him and Hanlon barely won an aerial challenge against the big felly last night and stronger teams would have punished us on the basis of all his flick-ons. I don't mean to be harsh on Jackson as it was his first game in ages, but on what I have seen of him at Hibs so far, he just doesn't particularly impress me.

That’s the thing I thibk it’s a bit of a myth that a CH is expected to win every header against a striker when in reality the guy last night was a unit. It’s important that we don’t let them get in behind to his flick ons which I think we did fine at. Some strikers you just won’t beat in the said all the time.

green with envy
23-01-2020, 08:28 AM

Not sure what you were watching but Hanlon was very good last night as was Jackson.

Col L
23-01-2020, 08:34 AM
It’s a bit of a myth that a CH is expected to win every header against a striker.

Unless that striker is Kamberi of course...

Smartie
23-01-2020, 08:39 AM
First 20 minutes, we were all over the place defensively.

The big guy who started up front for them was giving them a tough time. He was bullying them and holding on to the ball for them. Him getting injured was a good thing as the big guy who came in was just a big guy who ran about but he didn’t know how to play football.

Maybe due to lack of games, but Gray in that early part of the game was giving them all kinds of space when he went forward and simply couldn’t get back.

I agree that Gray was all over the place and that the big lad was putting himself about, but they didn’t do much other than force a few corners.

Genuinely, I hear a lot of criticism of this defence but I feel I’ve seen so, so much worse. Nothing they did led to goals last night and I thought they all played well as we got well on top during the 2nd half.

We were all over the shop at the start of the season and I think that sticks in most people’s minds, rather than the last dozen games when they’ve been fine (especially given the lack of protection our midfield offers).

BILLYHIBS
23-01-2020, 08:40 AM

Agree first game in ages but all things considered he did ok

I am not saying he is HIBS class we all know he is no VVD but as things stand just now he is going nowhere unless we can bring someone else in who is :greengrin

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 08:52 AM
I agree that Gray was all over the place and that the big lad was putting himself about, but they didn’t do much other than force a few corners.

Genuinely, I hear a lot of criticism of this defence but I feel I’ve seen so, so much worse. Nothing they did led to goals last night and I thought they all played well as we got well on top during the 2nd half.

We were all over the shop at the start of the season and I think that sticks in most people’s minds, rather than the last dozen games when they’ve been fine (especially given the lack of protection our midfield offers).

They’ve definitely not been fine in the last dozen games. We must still have been averaging a couple of goals against during that time.

The midfield is obviously an issue. That first half performance from them last night was absolutely pathetic and so, so passive. But in terms of the defence our first picks are all the wrong side of 30 with a couple of them being unreliable in terms of how often you’ll see them. It’s impossible for us to get any consistency of selection which is a problem in itself.

CentreLine
23-01-2020, 10:36 AM
“Crap” probably coincided with how I felt about about the whole performance in the first half and is harsh on the individual who was playing his first game in ages. He did get ragdolled by the big guy a couple of times and others covered for him but again, being harsh on one player. 👍

:aok:

MrRobot
23-01-2020, 11:03 AM
Jackson played well last night for the whole game, not just in the 2nd half.

His passing ability is actually very good and he is pretty calm on the ball.

King Cosell
23-01-2020, 11:04 AM
25 is young for a CB. I put Jackson in the same envelope as Porteous, McKenna & Souter. A prized asset.

Unseen work
23-01-2020, 12:03 PM
His pass to Kamberi for the first goal was brilliant.

jacomo
23-01-2020, 12:16 PM
I like Jackson from what I’ve seen of him. Pleased he got a game last night.

Brightside
23-01-2020, 12:19 PM

no he didnt. hanlon had 3 ropey passes first half. thats it. no rag dolling....no bullied etc etc. Jackson also did very well defensively. They are the first choice now for me.

DTS
23-01-2020, 12:28 PM
A team that play constant long balls to a big striker is going to cause problems, I don’t recall Hamilton ever getting anything from the flick ons. That suggests the centre half not challenging is doing his job and covering as the likelihood is a larger striker will win a fair share. The team as a whole were a shambles first half but nobody made glaring errors just nothing good. Second half the centre backs especially Jackson very good, helped by a better midfield. As for him “not being good on the ball” watch the highlights and check his pass to flo it takes their midfield out flo does well and we’re in on goal, another reference point his last appearance v Celtic he played an excellent pass to Allan very similar to last night and it led to the goal then check the highlights he then unfortunately got injured. So in his last two starts he’s assisted the assist which isn’t too bad for a centre back. The way I see it is he plays it safe if it isn’t on but if it’s on he’ll try it.

Sheep_Nae_Mair
02-02-2020, 07:49 PM
He wasn't even on the bench yesterday. Is he injured or what?

Winston Ingram
02-02-2020, 08:03 PM
He wasn't even on the bench yesterday. Is he injured or what?

Ill

Sheep_Nae_Mair
02-02-2020, 08:06 PM
Ill

Thanks. We might not have lost the first goal if he'd been on the park yesterday.