PDA

View Full Version : Newell

Diclonius
22-01-2020, 09:42 PM
I dunno, this guy's actually pretty good.

Vault Boy
22-01-2020, 09:44 PM
Superb today. He's been a real miss for us during his injured spells. Has to take a huge amount of credit for the change in our form overall.

Allant1981
Before he got injured and was being played in his correct position he was arguably one of our best players, hopefully it continues

lord bunberry
He was excellent when he came on. He was winning tackles and starting decent attacks. Fair play to the guy because I really didn’t think he’d turn it around.

Souter96Mac
22-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Which position was he playing in when he came? Sounded like we went to a 442, was he out wide or central?

Scooter
22-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Which position was he playing in when he came? Sounded like we went to a 442, was he out wide or central?

Central

Pretty Boy
He's been more than competent since moved into the middle. Superb tonight.

neil7908
Has to start centrally next game. Alongside Omeonga he turned it around after a dire first half.

hibee_girl
22-01-2020, 09:47 PM
He was excellent tonight

duffers
22-01-2020, 09:48 PM
Motm

makaveli1875
22-01-2020, 09:48 PM

If i recall he was written off as ***** after his 1st game and banished to the dustbin . Sometimes players take time to settle into new clubs , especially in different leagues .

AZhibee
22-01-2020, 09:49 PM
Has to start centrally next game. Alongside Omeonga he turned it around after a dire first half.

On for Scotty then?

Vault Boy
22-01-2020, 09:49 PM
On for Scotty then?

On for Hallberg/Slivka. Horgan on for Allan shortly after.

Since452
22-01-2020, 09:50 PM
He's a player btw

lord bunberry
22-01-2020, 09:50 PM
If i recall he was written off as ***** after his 1st game and banished to the dustbin . Sometimes players take time to settle into new clubs , especially in different leagues .
I think the main issue with him is that he’s not a winger, and that’s where he was being played. Since he’s been moved more central he’s been decent and tonight he was excellent.

18Craig75
22-01-2020, 09:51 PM
I didn’t see this turn around after his Ibrox ‘performance’.

Credit where it’s due he’s turned it around. He also always said he’s a center mid - looked very accomplished there tonight. Him and Omeonga to start against Motherwell.

EdinMike
22-01-2020, 09:52 PM
On for Scotty then?

Scott’s been dire and needs benched. I’ve said it, it needed said.

gazzag70
22-01-2020, 09:52 PM
He deserves a lot of praise,played really well. Will do his confidence a lot of good and hopefully he can kick on and become a regular starter.

22-01-2020, 09:53 PM
Looked class today alongside omeonga

neil7908
22-01-2020, 09:54 PM
I think the main issue with him is that he’s not a winger, and that’s where he was being played. Since he’s been moved more central he’s been decent and tonight he was excellent.

100%. He doesn't have pace but he's a much smarter player than I realised. Really impressed with him today.

Andy74
22-01-2020, 09:54 PM
He’s class.

SteveHFC
22-01-2020, 09:55 PM
I have always said he was a magnificent player.

sean04
22-01-2020, 09:58 PM
He was outstanding, worked hard, got on the ball, made good passes. Thought he changed the game

Unseen work
22-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Brilliant on the ball but he’s also a big strong lad.

Funny he is playing well now he’s more central, it’s like that’s his actual position....:wink:

makaveli1875
22-01-2020, 10:01 PM

I guess with Mallan being injured we need a new hibs.net scapegoat for the boo boys to berate .

Since452
22-01-2020, 10:02 PM

Totally agree. Same team that finished tonight should start at the weekend

calumhibee1
Should be in for Allan on Saturday.

lord bunberry
I guess with Mallan being injured we need a new hibs.net scapegoat for the boo boys to berate .
Give it a rest man :rolleyes:

22-01-2020, 10:04 PM

No we need more people to recognise that Allan has been honking all season instead of eulogising him for being below par.

makaveli1875
22-01-2020, 10:06 PM
No we need more people to recognise that Allan has been honking all season instead of eulogising him for being below par.

He's not been his best but honking ? seriously

22-01-2020, 10:06 PM
He's not been his best but honking ? seriously

Yes honking

HendoDelivered
22-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Some pler.

Pretty Boy
22-01-2020, 10:09 PM
Yes honking

4th most assists in the league and more than any other Hibs player.....

SMAXXA
22-01-2020, 10:09 PM

No the poster is just saying what most of the rest of us are, he’s been poor recently and as much as he’s highly rated by pretty mush all Hibs fans he’s not immune to criticism and with it not making the staring 11.

I actually thought he looked weak tonight got shoved of the ball more than I’ve seen all season, maybe he needs a rest he’s played a lot of mins.

22-01-2020, 10:10 PM
4th most assists in the league and more than any other Hibs player.....

Playing in a team built around him which is underachieving. Drop him and watch hibs improve.

SMAXXA
22-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Btw Newell was excellent deserves all the praise, really nice guy aswell and good to see him and his Mrs hopefully more settled up here. She relocated work aswell so mustn’t have been easy at the start especially when your being publicly slaughtered.

His problem for me has been consistency, much better in the middle hope he knocks on.

Northernhibee
22-01-2020, 10:14 PM
Newell is a quality player. At the pre season friendly vs Arbroath he got closed down by two opposition players right in front of us. Did a wee trick with his feet, bought himself a yard of space and played a nice pass.

Weird as it is but always had the feeling there was a player in there, as small a thing as it was it was a moment of real quality to have the composure to slow it down in a pressure situation and make something of it.

I really like Newell. Oddly I left that game thinking we’d signed a bit of a huddy in Doidge so I didn’t get it all right...

Green Badger
22-01-2020, 10:29 PM
I thought Newell was excellent when he came on, kept the ball moving, passed really well and pressed the Hamilton midfielders well when not in possession. Seems much more comfortable playing in the centre.

Robbo6-2
22-01-2020, 10:31 PM
He was brilliant tonight, totally changed the game for us along with steph.

Centre mid is by far his best position. Really impressed

MrRobot
22-01-2020, 10:33 PM
Newell was utter class when he came on. Really like him.

The Spaceman
22-01-2020, 10:34 PM
He was brilliant when he came on. He's looked very, very good in every game he has played in since Heckingbottom left. A classy player in there with a bit of dig too. Well done Joe :aok:

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 10:39 PM
That is the player I was hoping to see that sunny afternoon in Stirling

Excellent performance second half always making himself available precision passing going on mazy runs generally being a thorn in the side of the opposition and brilliant execution from dead ball situations but please oh please when the big guys have come up for a corner and we are desperate for a goal do not play it short to Horgan but it all turned out for the best in the end

My man of the match

madhatter
22-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Credit goes to Ross, Newell, Omeonga and Horgan - turned the match. Newell and Omeonga looked much more aggressive in midfield. Worrying for Slivka and Hallberg, both looked absolutely rotten.

Newell was pick of the subs, played really well.

Jdawg
22-01-2020, 10:41 PM
Unlike the first half, willing to play passes with zip and played with his head up. Did well physically as well. Great performance

CMurdoch
22-01-2020, 10:41 PM
Newell & Horgan transformed the game tonight.
I have been critical of Horgan in the past but he lit the blue touch paper tonight.
Additional to what other folk have said above, Newell is a great crosser of a ball.
Well done both. Saved our ass.

we are hibs
22-01-2020, 10:43 PM
He was on the front foot.

The amount of times we were flat footed and passive in the first half was a joke..both he and omeonga improved that. Hes technically very good and for a slim guy hes incredibly difficult to shove off the ball.

wookie70
22-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Best player on the park for me. Allan needs rested as he has been poor for quite a while. Newell is not far off being as creative but chooses his passes more wisely and also is far better defensively. All those terrible signings from Heck don't look quite as bad as I thought Jackson was very good in the second half and Doidge up until he was clotheslined(straight red in Rugby ffs) was also really good and scored again. Add Hallberg who has generally been pretty decent and I would say Heck did OK in the transfer market.

Ross desrves as much praise as he does criticism. We were poorer in the first half than any game under Heck. He made two subs at HT which looked like it would give us an unbalanced midfield but quickly put it right. Massive gamble using three subs and having so many attacking players after 52 mins but it completely changed the game and Newell for me was fundamental to that.

Ozyhibby
22-01-2020, 10:48 PM
All three subs today were excellent but Newall surprised me most. He is definitely more suited to playing central and he played some very clever football tonight. If it wasn’t for an all round good performance by Doidge I would have given him MOTM even though he only played a half.
Well done Joe Newall, more of the same and I might take back some previous criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
22-01-2020, 10:48 PM
Sublime and balanced and makes time for himself. Wonderful left foot.

Hiber-nation
22-01-2020, 10:50 PM
Very good tonight and must start on Saturday. What a difference from the Newell of the Hecky days.

The 90+2
22-01-2020, 10:53 PM
He looked confident hungry and energetic. All three was missing from the first half. Fair play to him, I thought he was a confidence player and must have thought Scottish football wasn’t for him but even before his injury he was showing a brilliant appetite. We might just have a wee gem in our hands.

O'Rourke3
22-01-2020, 10:55 PM
Newell was excellent. Easily mom for one half performance. Great to see Steph back too. Still frustrated by Daryl though. Final ball not consistently good. He's a player I want to love a lot more but frustrates the hell out of me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Real Emerald
22-01-2020, 11:00 PM
I thought he did great tonight and I'm delighted he's proved me wrong. Well done :applause:

Hibby Kay-Yay
22-01-2020, 11:05 PM
Playing in a team built around him which is underachieving. Drop him and watch hibs improve.

Provided with facts to counter your argument and you just ignore them. Glad you’re not JR :wink:

GreenCastle
22-01-2020, 11:07 PM
He’s got the best 1st touch at the club.

Playing CM tonight did very well considering how bad we were playing.

Would like to see..

Hallberg Omeonga
Newell

Allan hasn’t been playing well for a while - still a quality player with assists but maybe worth keeping it fresh.

bigwheel
22-01-2020, 11:10 PM
He’s got the best 1st touch at the club.

Playing CM tonight did very well considering how bad we were playing.

Would like to see..

Hallberg Omeonga
Newell

Allan hasn’t been playing well for a while - still a quality player with assists but maybe worth keeping it fresh.

Newall was like a conductor with the philharmonic.....absolutely set the whole tempo and tone of second half ...all three subs contributed - he was the maestro. Best 45 in a Hibs strip ..

Billy Whizz
22-01-2020, 11:12 PM
Newall was like a conductor with the philharmonic.....absolutely set the whole tempo and tone of second half ...all three subs contributed - he was the maestro. Best 45 in a Hibs strip ..

It was, but Hecky signed as a midfielder, tried to turn him into a left winger

hibsbollah
22-01-2020, 11:13 PM
He was also very vocal, encouraging teammates, chiding Kamberi and telling Dallas he was a useless **** and a son of a **** to boot. He felt like a midfield general in there.

I_Love_Latapy
22-01-2020, 11:15 PM
I thought Newell was excellent when he came on, kept the ball moving, passed really well and pressed the Hamilton midfielders well when not in possession. Seems much more comfortable playing in the centre.

Agree with this. We were told when he arrived that he wasn't a wide player, and its seems as though that was right. Much better in central role, some real strength in the tackle too.

The 90+2
22-01-2020, 11:15 PM
He was also very vocal, encouraging teammates, chiding Kamberi and telling Dallas he was a useless **** and a son of a **** to boot. He felt like a midfield general in there.

Ken, what a turnaround 😁😁😁 he went from a wee moose to a radge.

bigwheel
22-01-2020, 11:16 PM
It was, but Hecky signed as a midfielder, tried to turn him into a left winger

That must be so frustrating as a player .....

allezsauzee
22-01-2020, 11:16 PM

Utter pish.

Crab apple
22-01-2020, 11:18 PM
Just back. Glad there’s a thread recognising his performance. He made a big difference as did Steph and Horgan.

tanfield
22-01-2020, 11:19 PM
Boy was on fire tonight when he came on. Always had him down with the heart of a mouse but he fair beasted into the tackles tonight. Fair play to the guy

22-01-2020, 11:23 PM
Provided with facts to counter your argument and you just ignore them. Glad you’re not JR :wink:

Apologies for criticising Scott Allan. I forgot it’s not allowed on here

bigwheel
22-01-2020, 11:26 PM

Criticism is fair...he has at times been well below par in games - wild exaggeration will get challenged ...that’s fair too

mentalhibee
22-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Brilliant performance, looked so much better with him and Omeonga on. Both players are far more comfortable taking the ball in tight positions than hallberg and slivka.

StevesFamau5
22-01-2020, 11:38 PM
Newell is a bit like Ozil, he's mercurial, strides around the pitch but it's the simple things he does as well as the more creative things that set him aside from the rest tonight. On two occasions he doubled up and won the ball physically, then like a gazelle he strides forward and plays a lovely positive pass.

Omeonga and Newell deserve to be starting on Saturday.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ekhibee
22-01-2020, 11:52 PM
I must admit I was in the anti-Newell camp for quite a while when Hucklebotty was still in charge, I am so, so glad to be proved wrong. A very good player, played in the right position.Thought he was excellent tonight. Well done Joe, keep it up mate.

GreenCastle
23-01-2020, 12:04 AM
Newell is a bit like Ozil, he's mercurial, strides around the pitch but it's the simple things he does as well as the more creative things that set him aside from the rest tonight. On two occasions he doubled up and won the ball physically, then like a gazelle he strides forward and plays a lovely positive pass.

Omeonga and Newell deserve to be starting on Saturday.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Fair comparison- can be a luxury but on his day quality.

This was basically what previous teams he’s played for said also.

Again if he was more consistent he wouldn’t be at Hibs.

But glad he’s improving and looking more settled.

ivan03
23-01-2020, 12:20 AM
Said it in pre season away at Carlisle, he’s never a winger! Left of the diamond suited him, and tonight in a 2 with Stephane, he was superb! Great touch, great passer of the ball, very composed and clever.

Also agree Scott Allan needs benched, I’m a huge fan but he’s not been at the races recently

snedzuk
23-01-2020, 12:28 AM
I must admit I was in the anti-Newell camp for quite a while when Hucklebotty was still in charge, I am so, so glad to be proved wrong. A very good player, played in the right position.Thought he was excellent tonight. Well done Joe, keep it up mate.

Same here. He was outstanding tonight and offered more in his 45 minutes than the outfield 10 did in the first half.

lord bunberry
23-01-2020, 12:56 AM
It is allowed on here, but everything you come out with has to be either controversial or offensive. What do you get out of it? Personally I think you’re only on here to get a reaction.

NAE NOOKIE
23-01-2020, 02:58 AM
The three subs tonight absolutely changed the game, credit to Jack Ross for doing what he had to.

As for Newell ... He was showing an improvement before getting injured and tonight was a real eye opener, his contribution was superb and as others said he showed a surprising and very welcome enthusiasm to get into the physical side as well. His best game in a Hibs shirt and proof positive he was wasted on the wing.

There's been a fair bit of criticism of Scott Allan on the back of tonight. All I would say is that there's no doubt he is off form at the moment and has been for a while, he deserved to get subbed. But you don't become a bad player overnight so hopefully he'll recover his form and show us how good he can be before the season is out.

Big90inOz
23-01-2020, 05:54 AM
What about Newell for the holding midfielder role ? Big guy who can play from there with his head up and find his passes, has the skill to carry the ball forward and beat a man as well which will help to open up space

JimBHibees
23-01-2020, 06:39 AM

You sound like Hecky, didn't know there was a rule against taking Allan off. Certainly has not been honking all season as the assists and goals testify however his current form is a concern and it wa good last night he was taken off and deserved to be.

Since452
23-01-2020, 06:45 AM
I'd bench Allan for the next couple of games. Newell deserves a place after last night

JimBHibees
23-01-2020, 07:21 AM
Well done Joe excellent performance hopefully the first of many.

neil7908
23-01-2020, 08:09 AM
I especially loved the urgency Newell brought. No dithering at free kicks or throw ins and it looked like he was a real leader.

Bangkok Hibby
23-01-2020, 08:33 AM
I especially loved the urgency Newell brought. No dithering at free kicks or throw ins and it looked like he was a real leader.

Our next Captain?

Jones28
23-01-2020, 09:53 AM
I’d like to see him in the Scott Allan role against motherwell. He needs rested/dropped and by the sounds of it those two ran the show last night.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 10:20 AM

Aye, that was something I didn’t expect from him. He had been playing better prior to being injured, but last night he was the one that really tried to grab the game and get us going.

flash
23-01-2020, 10:47 AM

It seems personal.

Brightside
23-01-2020, 10:50 AM
No issue with dropping Allan. We shouldnt have to rely on him for all the games. A break here and there will do him good.

AlbertK86
23-01-2020, 11:49 AM
No issue with dropping Allan. We shouldnt have to rely on him for all the games. A break here and there will do him good.

Correct. He looks knackered... keep on bench and bring on if needed for next couple of games.

Used to struggle to complete 90 mins but has done so plenty this season. His diabetes must effect him.

Rest will do him and Hibs good

B.H.F.C
23-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Correct. He looks knackered... keep on bench and bring on if needed for next couple of games.

Used to struggle to complete 90 mins but has done so plenty this season. His diabetes must effect him.

Rest will do him and Hibs good

I agree and a wee spell on the bench might not do him any harm.

He doesn’t look fit or maybe lacking sharpness would be a better description. There were a couple of times last night that he tried to go past someone and couldn’t move. He hadn’t played for a year and had come in and played every week, maybe it’s caught up with him a bit.

HibsGW
23-01-2020, 12:07 PM

Aye true lets just get rid of him, boy’s useless 🤯

Greenworld
23-01-2020, 12:55 PM
I agree and a wee spell on the bench might not do him any harm.

He doesn’t look fit or maybe lacking sharpness would be a better description. There were a couple of times last night that he tried to go past someone and couldn’t move. He hadn’t played for a year and had come in and played every week, maybe it’s caught up with him a bit.Totally agree thought he looked slow and off the pace. Possibly his diabetes but a great might be almost that's required

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
24-01-2020, 07:10 PM
https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1220784007543246849?s=21

heidtheba
24-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Regarding the criticism of an off-form Scott Allan; could his performance levels be due to his lack of game time in previous seasons? I don't really 'know' this sort of stuff but interested what everyone thinks. He's played very little football over the past few years. Could his fitness levels/focus be a bit of an issue now?

Edit - sorry, hadn't seen that this question has been mentioned more than a few times!

SquashedFrogg
24-01-2020, 07:42 PM

I don't think criticism of anyone isn't allowed. But maybe you've missed some games this season?

ancient hibee
24-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Every game Allan plays he is kicked on the back of his legs and ankles.Against United it was five times in the first half alone.As he hasn’t played much over the last year he probably is beginning to feel it.No protection from referees of course.

Iggy Pope
24-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Late to this and just seen his interview. Tremendous on Wednesday has to start tomorrow. Best looking Joe for a wee while now.

CapitalGreen
24-01-2020, 08:25 PM
I don't think criticism of anyone isn't allowed. But maybe you've missed some games this season?

Don’t waste your time, 660 hates Scott Allan and didn’t want us to re-sign him.

wookie70
24-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Regarding the criticism of an off-form Scott Allan; could his performance levels be due to his lack of game time in previous seasons? I don't really 'know' this sort of stuff but interested what everyone thinks. He's played very little football over the past few years. Could his fitness levels/focus be a bit of an issue now?

Edit - sorry, hadn't seen that this question has been mentioned more than a few times!

I'm not his greatest fan but to be fair he has been targeted by other teams to an extent. He often gets extra men round him and picks up plenty of kicks a game. That may be the reason but mostly, for me at least, he plays a high difficulty and high reward game. Sometimes that wins us a game but more often than not it losses us possession. I think he gives the initiative to teams in games we are on top of on occasion. Dundee Utd is perhaps an example of that. He is also playing frustrated imo due to his poor performances and has lapsed back into not chasing players when he does give the ball away cheaply. He is so close to being a fantastic player but miles away too imo. If his decision making improved and he could turn that frustration into drive or determination he would not be at Hibs.

jacomo
24-01-2020, 10:05 PM
I'm not his greatest fan but to be fair he has been targeted by other teams to an extent. He often gets extra men round him and picks up plenty of kicks a game. That may be the reason but mostly, for me at least, he plays a high difficulty and high reward game. Sometimes that wins us a game but more often than not it losses us possession. I think he gives the initiative to teams in games we are on top of on occasion. Dundee Utd is perhaps an example of that. He is also playing frustrated imo due to his poor performances and has lapsed back into not chasing players when he does give the ball away cheaply. He is so close to being a fantastic player but miles away too imo. If his decision making improved and he could turn that frustration into drive or determination he would not be at Hibs.

He is at Hibs and he feels the love.

But maybe Scott Allan’s form has dipped because he’s played a lot of minutes this season and up until November it was pretty unrewarding.

No problem with taking him out of the starting line up for a game or two.

tamig
24-01-2020, 10:26 PM
Late to this and just seen his interview. Tremendous on Wednesday has to start tomorrow. Best looking Joe for a wee while now.

Couldn’t beat Torto in these old Gordon’s Trattoria ads though. Now that was a good looking Joe. 😀

Nicho87
24-01-2020, 10:32 PM
I’d made my mind up about Newell under hecky. Shirked a challenge and didn’t look to interested. On Wednesday it was a totally different player. He looked hungry, actually used his body to move opponents out the way. Looked strong running forward. Thought him and Omeonga complemented each other very well. I’d give Scotty a wee rest, he will come back but he has played a tonne of games recently without a break.

Back to Newell, hope you take your chance

weecounty hibby
24-01-2020, 10:34 PM
Watched the winning goal from Wednesday a few times now and his pass to Boyle was perfect. Looks easy but it was the perfect pass for Boyle to run into right to the goal line. Newell had a very good 45 minutes

Deeds
24-01-2020, 10:42 PM
I’d made my mind up about Newell under hecky. Shirked a challenge and didn’t look to interested. On Wednesday it was a totally different player. He looked hungry, actually used his body to move opponents out the way. Looked strong running forward. Thought him and Omeonga complemented each other very well. I’d give Scotty a wee rest, he will come back but he has played a tonne of games recently without a break.

Back to Newell, hope you take your chance

I thought he was good in the Motherwell 3-1 game at ER, had heard bad things about him prior to the game. Neat and tidy on the ball and played with his head up. A good run of games injury free and hopefully will see him kick on.

tamig
24-01-2020, 10:43 PM
Watched the winning goal from Wednesday a few times now and his pass to Boyle was perfect. Looks easy but it was the perfect pass for Boyle to run into right to the goal line. Newell had a very good 45 minutes
I hadn’t seen the goals other than live at the game. Just watched the highlights now and it’s a great pass. Fantastic bit of skill near the end of the highlights too where he nearly set up another goal.

mjhibby
24-01-2020, 11:19 PM

Was indeed a sweet pass done quickly which meant the defender couldn't get back to stop boyler. A run of games could see him be even better.