PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: CHRIS MAXWELL DEPARTS

RSS Bot
22-01-2020, 10:30 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10511)

Greencore
22-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Never saw that coming

Northernhibee
22-01-2020, 10:45 AM
Did OK for us. Hope he does well elsewhere.

hibsbollah
22-01-2020, 10:46 AM
Thought he was broadly decent when he played. Excellent distribution, but only competent between the sticks, didnt see anything miraculous from him regularly, but definitely saved us a defeat against Celtic. Good luck to him.

jacomo
22-01-2020, 10:46 AM
Good luck and best wishes Chris.

Quite a few players have left us this window, but so far not a single one has done an interview blasting our new manager as ‘amateurish’ or lacking respect.

Are we doing something wrong?

Steven79
22-01-2020, 10:50 AM
Ross isnt' messing around and is clearly bringing players in once we clear out much of the dross that our previous manager signed.

KingPat4
22-01-2020, 10:54 AM
Good luck and best wishes Chris.

Quite a few players have left us this window, but so far not a single one has done an interview blasting our new manager as ‘amateurish’ or lacking respect.

Are we doing something wrong?

Only big teams do that.

KingPat4
22-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Thought he was broadly decent when he played. Excellent distribution, but only competent between the sticks, didnt see anything miraculous from him regularly, but definitely saved us a defeat against Celtic. Good luck to him.

I think his number was up after his Superman leap at Ross County ultimately cost us three points.

Good luck Chris.

MyJo
22-01-2020, 11:03 AM
No offence to the guy but we are much better off having Bogdan back in his place so no great loss. Good to get him off the wage bill though.

easty
22-01-2020, 11:03 AM
No better or worse than Mark Oxley.

Right decision to move him on.

delbert
22-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Spot on, like Oxley he let in goals any decent keeper would have saved.

Pretty Boy
22-01-2020, 11:10 AM
He was OK. We have 2 better goalkeepers in the 1st team squad and a couple of good prospects we need to step up fairly soon.

Makes sense to move him on early.

Carheenlea
22-01-2020, 11:12 AM
An easy decision. Prior to Adam Bogdan coming in we had two decent keepers vying to be first choice, and we now have a combined higher quality to fight it out for the jersey.

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 11:17 AM
Good luck Chris

Many thanks for your efforts

hibbie02
22-01-2020, 11:36 AM
I was a bit confused by him being described as a "shot stopper". Ball distribution is all well and good, but the key thing is to keep the ball out the net and he just wasn't that good at that. Wish him all the best, but no loss as far as I am concerned.

B.H.F.C
22-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Good work from the club to end his loan now and the outgoings, to date, give me some confidence in what Ross is looking to do.

Craig_HFC
22-01-2020, 11:38 AM
A 'keeper that didn't make saves.

Cheerio.

Since452
22-01-2020, 11:39 AM
Stepped in when Marciano was out of form and did OK. Will go down in the history books as an average keeper

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 11:48 AM
A 'keeper that didn't make saves.

Cheerio.

Apart from the penalty shoot out in the LC quarter final.

He also had a better goals against per match ratio than Rocky.

Don't let me stop you making arsey comments though.

CMurdoch
22-01-2020, 11:52 AM
Given the phrase "cut short" is used in the official statement I suspect we have had to pay a penalty clause to his parent club to return him early.

Danderhall Hibs
22-01-2020, 11:54 AM

I think he might have saved the second goal on Sunday.

Craig_HFC
22-01-2020, 12:03 PM
Apart from the penalty shoot out in the LC quarter final.

He also had a better goals against per match ratio than Rocky.

Don't let me stop you making arsey comments though.

He was *****. He's gone, he won't be back and we have 2 significantly better goalkeepers in the squad.

Good to see that the 'criticise any Hibs player past or present and you're not a real Hibby' brigade are still kicking about, though.

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 12:04 PM
He was *****. He's gone, he won't be back and we have 2 significantly better goalkeepers in the squad.

Good to see that the 'criticise any Hibs player past or present and you're not a real Hibby' brigade are still kicking about, though.

Glad to see you're cracking on with the arsey comments! :aok:

Smartie
22-01-2020, 12:08 PM
I quite liked him, we’ve had far worse.

One of our most comfortable keepers with the ball at his feet and he was generally excellent with crosses.

The bar for goalkeepers is a bit higher lately than it has been for a while, so the fact that he maybe didn’t make saves that Rocky or Bogdan would make was held against him, probably with some justification.

Barman Stanton
22-01-2020, 12:09 PM

Why would you want to though? Especially a present Hibs player. I dont get it personally. Guy gave his best, and got us to a semi final with a penalty save. Why not just wish him well?

calumhibee1
22-01-2020, 12:12 PM

:agree:

Always just felt like a goalie who would never save anything that he wasn’t necessarily expected to but would also not make an arse of much.

Prefer the eccentricity of Rocky :greengrin

EAZY-ME
22-01-2020, 12:16 PM
With Marciano and bogdan at the club there really isn't many keepers out there that could compete with them.... on our budget anyhow

Craig_HFC
22-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Why would you want to though? Especially a present Hibs player. I dont get it personally. Guy gave his best, and got us to a semi final with a penalty save. Why not just wish him well?

I'm giving my opinion on a player in a thread about that player on an internet forum designed for people to give their opinions.

I'm not saying he didn't try his best but ultimately he just wasn't very good. I'd try my best if I was playing for Hibs but it doesn't mean I'd be any good.

Hibeesmad
22-01-2020, 12:17 PM
I thought he was a bit dodgy since his match against Morton.

Barman Stanton
22-01-2020, 12:22 PM
I'm giving my opinion on a player in a thread about that player on an internet forum designed for people to give their opinions.

I'm not saying he didn't try his best but ultimately he just wasn't very good. I'd try my best if I was playing for Hibs but it doesn't mean I'd be any good.

Hey each to there own, like I said I just don't get it. I will leave you to stick the boot into players past and present. Enjoy :cool2:

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 12:22 PM

You said that he didn't make saves. That's not an opinion it's a statement - a false one at that.

Craig_HFC
22-01-2020, 12:26 PM
You said that he didn't make saves. That's not an opinion it's a statement - a false one at that.

Oh goody, a semantics argument.

It is my most humble opinion that he didn't make any saves that you wouldn't expect him to make and he conceded too many 'easy' goals that he could/should have saved.

Is that alright with you?

Cameron1875
22-01-2020, 12:39 PM
Absolutely hopeless goalkeeper so well done Jack Ross in identifying that. Clearing out the dross that Hecky burdened us with.

Oscar T Grouch
22-01-2020, 12:44 PM
Good luck to Chris in his future endeavours. Decent keeper, I am sure he will be signed up soon enough.

Hibby Bairn
22-01-2020, 12:48 PM
Who was the last goalie we actually developed and played long term for us?

Steven79
22-01-2020, 12:49 PM

Andy Goram?

MyJo
Absolutely hopeless goalkeeper so well done Jack Ross in identifying that. Clearing out the dross that Hecky burdened us with.

Good luck to Chris in his future endeavours. Decent keeper, I am sure he will be signed up soon enough.

:hilarious Hibs.net summed up in two posts

Causewayside PR
Given the phrase "cut short" is used in the official statement I suspect we have had to pay a penalty clause to his parent club to return him early.

That would be really dissapointing. There was talk we were trying to arrange another loan for the rest of the season for him but the official statement does not mention a new loan for him. Surely we could have held out until the end of the window for him to be moved on. Makes me think parent club said lets cut ties now and we will sort it with us getting away with paying the rest of his wages or a fine🤞

ancient hibee

Willie Wilson.

Peevemor
Andy Goram?

We bought him ready made from Oldham.

He was already capped IIRC.

ancient hibee
22-01-2020, 12:50 PM
Andy Goram?

He came from Oldham.

easty
22-01-2020, 12:52 PM

Chris Reid. Well he was here long term, but rarely ever played.

ancient hibee
22-01-2020, 12:54 PM
Chris Reid. Well he was here long term, but rarely ever played.

I’m still going for Willie Wilson:greengrin

Since452
22-01-2020, 12:57 PM
On the keeper situation I'd like to see Bogdan given a run. Marciano still costs us too many goals imo and just kicks it to the opposition

Keith_M
22-01-2020, 01:05 PM
Willie Wilson.

My former neighbour

:greengrin

Keith_M
22-01-2020, 01:06 PM
Andy Goram?

He came from Oldham.

There's a song in there somewhere....

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 01:07 PM
My former neighbour

:greengrin

A Jambo but a wonderful nice guy

RIP

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 01:08 PM
There's a song in there somewhere....

To the tune of "Copacabana"...

Barman Stanton
22-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Last developed keeper was probably Andy McNeil. First choice for a season and of course League Cup winner.

Just had a look and he is now retired. Man I feel old!

Anthony Soprano
22-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Reckon he was better than oxley in fairness, but not as good as Marciano

we are hibs
22-01-2020, 01:37 PM
Another one who was really never going to come back and do much after that stinker of a semi at hampden. (I know he came on at parkhead in december). Wasnt really impressed from the first time i saw him against Hearts. Didnt think his distribution was half as good as made out either.

hibbysam
22-01-2020, 01:47 PM
Last developed keeper was probably Andy McNeil. First choice for a season and of course League Cup winner.

Just had a look and he is now retired. Man I feel old!

Andy McNeil wasn’t developed at Hibs.

Barman Stanton
22-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Andy McNeil wasn’t developed at Hibs.

Thought he was. Crazy we bought him for the first team then. Wasnt great.

Pretty Boy
22-01-2020, 01:56 PM
Do many teams develop goalkeepers regularly? Obviously they do in the sense that goalkeepers exist but do many make their name at the team they started at?

I can't think of another Scottish Premiership team who have regularly produced keepers who have either established themselves long term or gone on to great things elsewhere. Hearts had Gordon, Celtic had Marshall and Rangers had and have Mcgreggor. Beyond that I can't think of many, if any, in recent years. There still seems a reluctance to give young goalkeepers a chance so quite often guys have to move on or drop a level to find game time.

PatHead
22-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Do many teams develop goalkeepers regularly? Obviously they do in the sense that goalkeepers exist but do many make their name at the team they started at?

I can't think of another Scottish Premiership team who have regularly produced keepers who have either established themselves long term or gone on to great things elsewhere. Hearts had Gordon, Celtic had Marshall and Rangers had and have Mcgreggor. Beyond that I can't think of many, if any, in recent years. There still seems a reluctance to give young goalkeepers a chance so quite often guys have to move on or drop a level to find game time.

Thought Marshall played for Falkirk before Celtic. Maybe was on loan though?

HendoDelivered
22-01-2020, 02:27 PM
Not good enough but done his best when called upon. Good luck Chris 👍🏽

hibsbollah
22-01-2020, 02:36 PM

:agree:

The goalkeeper market for 95% of clubs is all about using the loan system to it's best advantage. Most young keepers have to be prepared to travel anywhere at short notice on short term loan deals, far more than outfield players do. It must be very difficult if you have a family or close knit friends where you are (cue lack of sympathy, pro footballer is a dream job, you should be grateful etc etc):greengrin. From the club's perspective, you need to be aware that keepers typically need to 'bed in' in a club before showing their best form, and you'll rarely see the best of a player in their first handful of games. If we didn't have the other two keepers we'd have a choice to make; based on the limited time we've seen of him, do you stick with a player like Maxwell or do you take a punt elsewhere and start the development process all over again?

Steven79
22-01-2020, 03:14 PM
Thought Marshall played for Falkirk before Celtic. Maybe was on loan though?

You are getting mixed up between Gordon & David Marshall.

jacomo
22-01-2020, 03:15 PM
Thought he was. Crazy we bought him for the first team then. Wasnt great.

He’s got a cup winners medal, which is more than you can say for most of our keepers.

I liked him but he seemed a bit short. Not much he could do about that.

PatHead
22-01-2020, 03:15 PM
You are getting mixed up between Gordon & David Marshall.

So I am. Had totally forgotten about David Marshall.

Barman Stanton
22-01-2020, 03:22 PM
He’s got a cup winners medal, which is more than you can say for most of our keepers.

I liked him but he seemed a bit short. Not much he could do about that.

Oh definitely, didnt do terrible for us but I thought he was a weak link in a very good Hibs team. Remember his lack of height being a real issue when he was at the U20 World Cup.

CMurdoch
22-01-2020, 03:34 PM
That would be really dissapointing. There was talk we were trying to arrange another loan for the rest of the season for him but the official statement does not mention a new loan for him. Surely we could have held out until the end of the window for him to be moved on. Makes me think parent club said lets cut ties now and we will sort it with us getting away with paying the rest of his wages or a fine🤞

Good point about holding out to the end of the window to see if we could shift him rather than pay a penalty clause.
He is a decent keeper so there must be a team at a decent level that needs a keeper so there might even be something lined up that we don't know about yet. Hope so.

speedy_gonzales
22-01-2020, 03:45 PM
And for good measure, Sky Sports reporting Preston have released him.

Hopefully finds a club soon, with the right coaching there's a decent keeper in there.

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 03:56 PM
And for good measure, Sky Sports reporting Preston have released him.

Hopefully finds a club soon, with the right coaching there's a decent keeper in there.Looks to me like he already has a new deal lined up somewhere and neither Hibs nor Preston are standing in his way.

The 90+2
22-01-2020, 04:12 PM
Goodbye CM. Put into the Oxley Simon Brown category.

The 90+2
22-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Looks to me like he already has a new deal lined up somewhere and neither Hibs nor Preston are standing in his way.

Blackpool.

Lancs Harp
22-01-2020, 06:42 PM
This decision wasnt entirely ours. Preston wanted him off their wage bill offered him to us we didnt want him so they recalled him ( not us sending him back) so he could find another club. He's in talks with Blackpool.

CMurdoch
25-01-2020, 12:19 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51235226

Probably confirms we didn't have to pay any penalty clause to get Chris away early.