PDA

View Full Version : The player Hibs rely on most

Brightside
22-01-2020, 08:18 AM
According to the Stats Christian Doidge is our must important player and is involved with 33% of our goals. We are actually the most reliant on one player in the league. Odd stat when so many still think he is rank rotten.

jeffers
22-01-2020, 08:25 AM
According to the Stats Christian Doidge is our must important player and is involved with 33% of our goals. We are actually the most reliant on one player in the league. Odd stat when so many still think he is rank rotten.

Maybe more a reflection on the lack of consistent contribution from his team mates, for example when he’s been at it Scott Allan has been superb but too often this season (Sunday being an example) he’s not been at that standard. If those stats were taken from the past two months tho I’d guess Boyle would be our most important player.

And yes I still think Doidge is rotten.

calumhibee1
22-01-2020, 08:26 AM

People had made their mind up on him when he wasn’t scoring. He’s clearly a mile off being rank rotten. Very decent player at our level.

A POTM for the whole league and those sort of statistics would confirm that.

HibsTalk
22-01-2020, 08:28 AM
This stat graph kind of shows how well he's doing. Taking the chances he's given. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200122/2c271eff13f950a183a1217b52cd6d47.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 08:29 AM
Lewis Stevenson not at his best this season the cracks are starting to show after a fifty year career but rain hail or snow Lewis is always Mr Reliable even the English are heading back doon the road :greengrin

Brightside
22-01-2020, 08:30 AM

TimeForHeroes16
22-01-2020, 08:31 AM
Lewis Stevenson not at his best this season the cracks are starting to show after a fifty year career but rain hail or snow Lewis is always Mr Reliable even the English are heading back doon the road :greengrin

This without doubt !!!

yerauldda
22-01-2020, 08:33 AM
Doidge is unfashionable but effective. I'm a fan.

calumhibee1
22-01-2020, 08:34 AM
This stat graph kind of shows how well he's doing. Taking the chances he's given. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200122/2c271eff13f950a183a1217b52cd6d47.jpg

2nd best goal to shots ratio in the league. Pretty good going when everyone goes on about him missing loads of chances.

danhibees1875
22-01-2020, 08:36 AM

If rangers and Morelos are at the bottom then I'd question exactly what this is telling us.

On the other hand, I like Doidge and think he brings a lot to the team so 'mon the doidgy statistics. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 08:37 AM

Sorry but would take Edouard in a heartbeat the guy is class in a glass!

Lies damn lies and statistics

danhibees1875
22-01-2020, 08:38 AM
2nd best goal to shots ratio in the league. Pretty good going when everyone goes on about him missing loads of chances.

Is that what it shows? Is it not showing how often players shoot when they're in a good position to score?

So he is much more inclined to only shoot when he should be scoring. You'd have to then cross reference that to how many goals they've actually scored to see how those shots went.

Morelos clearly just shoots whenever he wants without considering if he should be... and to be fair, it seems to work for him.

HibsTalk
22-01-2020, 08:38 AM
If rangers and Morelos are at the bottom then I'd question exactly what this is telling us.

On the other hand, I like Doidge and think he brings a lot to the team so 'mon the doidgy statistics. :greengrinMorelos needs lots of chances to score. So in a game he'll get say 6 chances, score 1. But that's every game.

Doidge is only getting 1-2 chances a game. And often he's taking those chances.

calumhibee1
22-01-2020, 08:46 AM
Is that what it shows? Is it not showing how often players shoot when they're in a good position to score?

So he is much more inclined to only shoot when he should be scoring. You'd have to then cross reference that to how many goals they've actually scored to see how those shots went.

Morelos clearly just shoots whenever he wants without considering if he should be... and to be fair, it seems to work for him.

Is the bottom line not the amount of goals per shot? So hes scoring 0.25ish goals per shot which is only slightly behind Cole of Motherwell (who I believe is now actually away, so he’s the best in the league now) :greengrin

He is however not getting off as many shots as a lot of other strikers.

I’m admittedly humpty with graphs etc though so maybe I’m reading it wrong?

Fergus52
22-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Sorry but would take Edouard in a heartbeat the guy is class in a glass!

Lies damn lies and statistics

The table shows Edouard has higher combined expected goals and assists than doidge, of 9.41 to 5.74.

Doidge is higher on the table because its clearly ranked on what percentage of each teams chances are falling to, or being made by, that specific player. Our attack is slightly more reliant on Doidge than Celtic's is on Edourard's so Doidge is higher despite Edouard having much better xG and xA numbers in total.

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 08:50 AM
The table shows Edouard has higher combined expected goals and assists than doidge, of 9.41 to 5.74.

Doidge is higher on the table because its clearly ranked on what percentage of each teams chances are falling to, or being made by, that specific player. Our attack is slightly more reliant on Doidge than Celtic's is on Edourard's so Doidge is higher despite Edouard having much better xG and xA numbers in total.

Sorry you lost me at “ the table shows” my eyes and brain tell me Edouard is the better player :greengrin

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 08:53 AM
You only have to look at our goals on Saturday to see what he gives us.

For our first he ran to the left along the defensive line, dragging them all one way then quickly turned and went back the way to make space to receive the pass and score.

For our second, it was far from obvious that Boyle was going to shoot but Doidge ran in and was in place for the rebound had the keeper stopped it.

You could rightly say that strikers should be doing this all the time, but how many do?

danhibees1875
22-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Is the bottom line not the amount of goals per shot? So hes scoring 0.25ish goals per shot which is only slightly behind Cole of Motherwell (who I believe is now actually away, so he’s the best in the league now) :greengrin

He is however not getting off as many shots as a lot of other strikers.

I’m admittedly humpty with graphs etc though so maybe I’m reading it wrong?

The bottom is xG.

I'm not entirely sure how it's calculated, but it's to do with the probability of scoring a goal from that opportunity.

Someone who was prolific at missing open goals would be at the far right of the graph. Someone who smashes them in from 30 yards would be to the left.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't really see what we can gather from that graph. :dunno:

danhibees1875
22-01-2020, 08:55 AM
Morelos needs lots of chances to score. So in a game he'll get say 6 chances, score 1. But that's every game.

Doidge is only getting 1-2 chances a game. And often he's taking those chances.

That's a way to look at it too. :agree:

Diclonius
22-01-2020, 09:01 AM

That graph suggests Morelos will struggle in a team that doesn't create chances for him.

MagicSwirlingShip
22-01-2020, 09:03 AM
Be interested to see the stats since Ross came onboard.

The 90+2
22-01-2020, 09:06 AM
That graph suggests Morelos will struggle in a team that doesn't create chances for him.

I don’t think he will have to face that conundrum any time soon tbh :greengrin

Gloucester Hibs
22-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Surely, since his return from injury anyway, it’d be Boyle?

Brightside
22-01-2020, 09:16 AM

On the other hand, I like Doidge and think he brings a lot to the team so 'mon the doidgy statistics. :greengrin

Its the reliance on players..... Rangers obv have other players involved in goals. for Hibs Doidge is invovled in 33% of our goals. Its not saying on eplayers is better than the other just that we rely on our players more than anyone else does.

Brightside
22-01-2020, 09:18 AM

Correct - thanks for explaining. :greengrin

James70
22-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Hibs season only took off when Boyle returned from injury, I would say he is the player we rely on most.

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Hibs season only took off when Boyle returned from injury, I would say he is the player we rely on most.

I'm not taking anything away from Boyle or the positive impact he's made since his return, but playing Flo & Doidge together made a bigger difference.

OK, he scored that late equaliser against Livi, but the following league games he came on aafter 70-80 minutes when the matches weere already won.

Northernhibee
22-01-2020, 10:43 AM
I really, really like Christian Doidge. He scores loads of scruffy goals (the one at the weekend was a lovely finish mind you) but when was the last time we had a striker who scored a whole load of scruffy goals? It's part of the reason we struggled in the Championship - we had lots of players who would score a barrel load if given space but sometimes you need a striker you can cross it into and will be able to get a header on target or be strong enough to stand up to a melee in the box and somehow bundle it home.