PDA

View Full Version : NHC Leeds United

theonlywayisup
21-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Leeds United seem to have started their end of season slump a bit early this year - only one win in their last seven games. Or maybe it's just a mid-season slump and they'll start winning again.

Teams like Fulham, Brentford and Notts Forrest are now within touching distance, and Leeds have to travel to Brentford and Forest in February.

So how do you think it'll end up. Will Leeds United recover from this slump or is it going to be another season that it's close but not close enough?

What's your thoughts on Leeds United. I know many still 'hate' then due to their negative ways from the 70s and the fans trouble in the 80s. However, they will improve the Premiership if they get up.

Thoughts?

Lago
21-01-2020, 12:41 PM
West Brom lost as well so nip & tuck, those 2 are a bit head of the chasing pack especially Sheffield Wed disastrous last game.

The 90+2
21-01-2020, 12:43 PM
West Brom where utter pap last night.

Smartie
21-01-2020, 01:01 PM
That league is often really tough to call.

It's wide open really, every team can beat each other.

In truth I prefer it to the Premier League.

Barman Stanton
21-01-2020, 01:05 PM
Leeds are a strange one. You would think they are some kind of sleeping giant due to their fanbase but in reality they are not all that successful. Domestically they have only ever won 3 league titles and 1 FA Cup and League Cup each.

Not sure why but I do kind of get amusement when they f*** up promotion every year.

Since452
21-01-2020, 01:05 PM
After Griffiths apparently

Jones28
21-01-2020, 01:16 PM
I heard on the radio that both Leeds and West Brom are 20th and 19th respectively if you base their form on the last 10 games. Crazy.

LancsHibs
21-01-2020, 01:37 PM
Not sure why but I get some weird satisfaction from 1. Liverpool never winning the EPL and 2. Leeds remaining out of it. One of those situations is definitely coming to and end this season, only LUFC to keep my amusement levels up.😁

Ozyhibby
21-01-2020, 02:05 PM
I heard on the radio that both Leeds and West Brom are 20th and 19th respectively if you base their form on the last 10 games. Crazy.

Bielsa’s teams always run out of steam before the end of the season. The high pressing high energy style takes its toll on the players bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
21-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Bielsa insists on a very small squad, injuries have cost leeds big time the last several weeks and the bench on saturday had no quality at all, Bamford and Costa are big disappointments imo, he has no plan B, the slide this season started with the 3-3 draw at home to cardiff after being 3-0 up, Bielsa is incredibly stubborn in not changing formations and being loyal to players that are just simply not cutting it, first team players must be exhausted, he stuck with the same squad/style as last season, they're really going to struggle in midfield now with philips serving a 3-game suspension after his fully deserved red card against QPR.

one good thing is they only have one more fixture in london this season (Brentford) one win in the last 19 games in london, astonishing

still the 2nd best club in world football though :)

CLASS OF 72 -73
21-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Not sure why but I get some weird satisfaction from 1. Liverpool never winning the EPL and 2. Leeds remaining out of it. One of those situations is definitely coming to and end this season, only LUFC to keep my amusement levels up.😁

Not sure why? Your not a sad red devil by any chance?

Hibbyradge
21-01-2020, 03:28 PM
After Griffiths apparently

I might have to start going to see them! 😳

Yorkshire HFC
21-01-2020, 03:42 PM
I live in Leeds and used to go and see them occasionally - the first year I was down here they were top of the PL at Christmas - with Ferdinand, Viduka, Bowyer, Kewell etc.

The last game I went to was against Chelsea - Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank was playing for Chelsea after having been at Leeds previously - the racist chants took me back 50 years - I haven't been back since.

You do see a lot of people walking around in team hats, scarves, jackets etc. - and people do follow the team closely - either by attending or just following the scores.

Their meltdown at the end of last season was pretty impressive.

Onceinawhile
21-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Probably because we signed Forshaw off them.

ancient hibee
21-01-2020, 03:53 PM
Leeds are a strange one. You would think they are some kind of sleeping giant due to their fanbase but in reality they are not all that successful. Domestically they have only ever won 3 league titles and 1 FA Cup and League Cup each.

Not sure why but I do kind of get amusement when they f*** up promotion every year.

Always thought Revie got them far too wound up before games.They would spend far too much time kicking people instead of playing and didn't win nearly as many trophies as they should have done at that time.

BILLYHIBS
21-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Dirty Leeds

I have always wanted to like them but for some reason me and Leeds have never clicked

I had their chart single in the seventies

I liked all of their Scottish players Bremner Lorimer Jordan Gray McQueen and Harvey

Maybe it all started in the 1968 Fair Cities Cup totally outplaying them over two legs and our goalie getting pulled up for five steps when Gary Sprake had been doing it the whole game also big Jack Charlton obstructing our goalie on the line to score the winner that and the rough treatment of Colin Stein by Norman bites yer legs Hunter

Roll onto the seventies once again two EUFA games we totally outplay them they send up a team of youngsters a virtuoso performance from Billy Bremner they win on penalties say they were not really trying and say they all had money on at the bookies for a HIBS win that and Don Revie on the pitch coaching his team at the penalties a total lack of respect shown to our club

Anytime they look odds on they are in my acca and they always get turned over

I am not bitter :greengrin

ben johnson
21-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Always thought Revie got them far too wound up before games.They would spend far too much time kicking people instead of playing and didn't win nearly as many trophies as they should have done at that time.

Should have won the European Cup in 75 but a weak referee who let Franz Beckenbauer run the game put payed to that
Still talked about as daylight robbery even though Yorath and Gray put in tackles that more or less ended two players careers. Yoraths described as utterly vicious

ben johnson
21-01-2020, 04:20 PM
Response from UEFA after disorder and violence after the game in up toon Paris in 75

However, due to the violence, which included 'skirmishes in the city and damage to private property' according to journalist Geoffrey Green, as well as damage to a £50,000 camera and a lost eye and a broken arm to German media workers, UEFA were apparently considering abandonment of the competition altogether.[2]

The Wireless
21-01-2020, 08:20 PM
Bielsa insists on a very small squad, injuries have cost leeds big time the last several weeks and the bench on saturday had no quality at all, Bamford and Costa are big disappointments imo, he has no plan B, the slide this season started with the 3-3 draw at home to cardiff after being 3-0 up, Bielsa is incredibly stubborn in not changing formations and being loyal to players that are just simply not cutting it, first team players must be exhausted, he stuck with the same squad/style as last season, they're really going to struggle in midfield now with philips serving a 3-game suspension after his fully deserved red card against QPR.

one good thing is they only have one more fixture in london this season (Brentford) one win in the last 19 games in london, astonishing

still the 2nd best club in world football though :)

Very up to date & fair comments.
I would also like to say they are restricted with the EFL Fair Play regulations regarding what can and can’t be spent on salaries and the buying of players.
The inflated salaries of players sitting on the bench in the Premiership beggars belief. You could be looking at between 30k to 80k per week. A loan player could cost between 1 to 2 million with a commitment to buy at the seasons end at an inflated price to secure his mid season signature. All in all a huge gamble If promotion isn’t gained, hence the reason the youthful bench. They need to strengthen in key areas and should they find a regular goal scorer I have no doubt as the best footballing side in the Championship their 15 year wait will end and Leeds will return to the Premier division .

hibsbollah
21-01-2020, 08:33 PM
Should have won the European Cup in 75 but a weak referee who let Franz Beckenbauer run the game put payed to that
Still talked about as daylight robbery even though Yorath and Gray put in tackles that more or less ended two players careers. Yoraths described as utterly vicious

Just watched the footage of that, the Yorath tackle is just a two footed stamp on the ankle, horrendous. It wasn't a clear pen as Leeds fans like to claim either, Leeds players and fans out of control as they often were.

Sir David Gray
21-01-2020, 08:57 PM

Leeds are 8th and West Brom 15th based on the last 10 games.

Based on the last 5 games, Leeds are 17th and West Brom are 22nd.

ben johnson
21-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Just watched the footage of that, the Yorath tackle is just a two footed stamp on the ankle, horrendous. It wasn't a clear pen as Leeds fans like to claim either, Leeds players and fans out of control as they often were.

Two strong penalty claims both involving Franz Beckenbauer and a goal chalked off The goal was awarded but Beckenbauer decided to stroll up to the half way line and have a word with the referee and lo and behold offside given even though the linesman had not flagged. Bayern scored not long after and all hell broke loose.
Footage of the incident involving the goal and the actions that followed have on some sites been banned by UEFA
It was a shambles and Leeds were more than hard done bye but the rest of England had no time for Leeds so very little was made of it.

Hibeesmad
21-01-2020, 09:12 PM
Brentford will be dark horses, play some really good stuff.

GMD
21-01-2020, 09:14 PM
Bielsa has taken players who were going nowhere under Hecky and turned them by his coaching methods into a high performing team. All the stats point to how they have created more chances than any other team in the division but his team is hamstrung by the lack of quality at striker. As pointed out above financial fair play in England is biting with Derby and Sheff Wed in trouble with the authorities. Imagine if clubs had to spend within their means up here......
Really hope Leeds are promoted this year, Bielsa deserves the success and is a breath of fresh air as a coach. He never criticises a ref and takes the blame if his team loses. He is happy with finding solutions with his u23 players and they are coached in his methods and play the same style as the 1st team and the Leeds team has see. Loads of youngsters like Shackleton, Jordan Roberts and Robbie Gotts are getting used when injuries occur. It will be an amazing reward for the loyal fans who have stuck with the club through 16 years and suffered bell ends like Bates, Cellino and Warnock at the club.

Hibeesmad
21-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Bielsa has taken players who were going nowhere under Hecky and turned them by his coaching methods into a high performing team. All the stats point to how they have created more chances than any other team in the division but his team is hamstrung by the lack of quality at striker. As pointed out above financial fair play in England is biting with Derby and Sheff Wed in trouble with the authorities. Imagine if clubs had to spend within their means up here......
Really hope Leeds are promoted this year, Bielsa deserves the success and is a breath of fresh air as a coach. He never criticises a ref and takes the blame if his team loses. He is happy with finding solutions with his u23 players and they are coached in his methods and play the same style as the 1st team and the Leeds team has see. Loads of youngsters like Shackleton, Jordan Roberts and Robbie Gotts are getting used when injuries occur. It will be an amazing reward for the loyal fans who have stuck with the club through 16 years and suffered bell ends like Bates, Cellino and Warnock at the club.

Who was the boy they sold to Anderlecht? He was banging them in last season.

The Wireless
21-01-2020, 10:48 PM
Who was the boy they sold to Anderlecht? He was banging them in last season.

Kemar Roofe... On hindsight his return was higher than Bamford.. and his finishing has been missed.

Jones28
22-01-2020, 06:32 AM
Leeds are 8th and West Brom 15th based on the last 10 games.

Based on the last 5 games, Leeds are 17th and West Brom are 22nd.

Thanks sir David, it was on the Chris moyles show so maybe not the most reliable source for football stats.

worcesterhibby
22-01-2020, 06:34 AM
Always happy to see Leeds fail.

Cataplana
22-01-2020, 06:50 AM
As far as I'm concerned, they can take all their medals and throw them in the bin, because they won them all by cheating.

hibsbollah
22-01-2020, 06:52 AM
Two strong penalty claims both involving Franz Beckenbauer and a goal chalked off The goal was awarded but Beckenbauer decided to stroll up to the half way line and have a word with the referee and lo and behold offside given even though the linesman had not flagged. Bayern scored not long after and all hell broke loose.
Footage of the incident involving the goal and the actions that followed have on some sites been banned by UEFA
It was a shambles and Leeds were more than hard done bye but the rest of England had no time for Leeds so very little was made of it.

In the 70s there were a few sniffy results in european competition, no doubt, and very possibly Beckenbauers Bayern were the kind of club going to get all the 'luck' going, but Leeds players didnt do themselves any favours with those two assaults in the first half and the carry on that was made after the goal. They were the dirtiest team of a very dirty era by modern standards. Opponents knew some of those tackles like Yorath put in were career enders, and when you didnt have much £basic in the first place, a career ending tackle gave you and family a future in real poverty. So in the old First Division Leeds definitely intimidated some teams out of games. And as we know now from memoirs those orders came straight from Revie.

*also, i watched The Damned United again the other night. Really good movie, and Stephen Graham does a great job playing Billy Bremner.

I do like them now though. El Loco is a proper coach.