FilipinoHibs
20-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Not good for Hamilton

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51176275

green day
20-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Not good for Hamilton

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51176275

Couldnt care less about Hamilton, but feel sorry for Brian Rice.

Its an addiction, and one that - iirc - got him into a bit of bother in the middle east a few years ago.

A real shame for him.

hibsbollah
20-01-2020, 12:12 PM
A good opportunity for the nicest man in football, Guillaume Beuzelin, to get the gig. He might actually make them watchable.

Peevemor
20-01-2020, 12:12 PM
I've always liked Brian Rice but obviously he has a major addiction.

I wonder why he turned himself in - maybe a story was about to break.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 12:15 PM

Or maybe someone was trying to blackmail him.

lord bunberry
20-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Unless he’s been betting on his own team to lose I don’t see the problem. I know he’s broken the rules, but I doubt he’ll get much of a ban.

jacomo
20-01-2020, 12:18 PM

Most likely.

I understand why the ban is in place, but Rice seems like a victim of an addiction to a pastime that will be marketed very aggressively everywhere he looks.

Since452
20-01-2020, 12:18 PM
Hope he gets the help he needs. Also hope it has a negative effect on them on Wednesday

green day
20-01-2020, 12:19 PM
Statement by Rice and the club - https://www.hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk/club-statement-sfa-notice/

Peevemor
20-01-2020, 12:28 PM
Statement by Rice and the club - https://www.hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk/club-statement-sfa-notice/

Wow! Excellent statements from Rice & Accies.

green day
20-01-2020, 12:30 PM

Agreed, interesting to see the Accies Chief Exec sayign he wants to take it further with the SFA and try to get help for others.

matty_f
20-01-2020, 12:34 PM

They are good statements, handled the situation very well.

lyonhibs
20-01-2020, 12:37 PM
Unless he’s been betting on his own team to lose I don’t see the problem. I know he’s broken the rules, but I doubt he’ll get much of a ban.

Absolutely crackers that folk can get banned for betting on games that have nothing to do with their club IMO. It's help Rice needs, not a bloody ban.

Ozyhibby
20-01-2020, 12:40 PM

If you work in football then you shouldn’t be able to bet on football. It’s the equivalent of insider trading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
20-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Absolutely crackers that folk can get banned for betting on games that have nothing to do with their club IMO. It's help Rice needs, not a bloody ban.

Is it ok for him to bet on a game between Aberdeen and St. Mirren if he has heard that ex Hamilton player Lewis Ferguson has picked up a knock and cant play?

Peevemor
20-01-2020, 12:44 PM

I can understand why to be honest. What if it was a manager betting on matches involving players of his who are on loan? People involved in the game are likely to have contacts which provide them with inside info or even influence.

hibbysam
20-01-2020, 12:45 PM
If you work in football then you shouldn’t be able to bet on football. It’s the equivalent of insider trading.

That’s absolute nonsense to be fair. A player at Ormiston, Cowdenbeath, Preston Athletic, or the likes has absolutely no influence on a game in the Scottish premiership. Likewise, any foreign football. Now if they want a bet then they’ll find a way to place it anyway, but unless your betting involving your own team, or at a push the rest of your competition (ie same league) then I see absolutely no issue.

Obviously this is a completely different issue altogether, and hopefully Rice gets all the help he needs as it’s a horrible disease, however the current rules in place aren’t fit for purpose.

lyonhibs
20-01-2020, 12:48 PM
I can understand why to be honest. What if it was a manager betting on matches involving players of his who are on loan? People involved in the game are likely to have contacts which provide them with inside info or even influence.

Hence the "nothing to do with their club" qualification. Players out on loan elsewhere would obviously count as "to do with their club".

If he's put a bet on 25 Premiership games down south over the last 2 years, for example, what has that got to do with Hamilton?

bingo70
20-01-2020, 12:49 PM

Maybe he was at a low point and just realised he needed it to come out to stop himself going further down that path.

I think it’s absolutely fantastic he’s come out In the open about it, regardless of the reasons why he’s done it.

I also don’t think it’s bad news for Hamilton, I think if Rice has been carrying that about on his shoulders recently he’ll be a better man for it being out in the open now, I also suspect the players may want to go that wee bit further for their manager now.

Cataplana
20-01-2020, 12:49 PM
Nobody was stopping him betting, just not on football.

hibsbollah
20-01-2020, 12:52 PM

Brilliant thing to say.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 12:55 PM
That’s absolute nonsense to be fair. A player at Ormiston, Cowdenbeath, Preston Athletic, or the likes has absolutely no influence on a game in the Scottish premiership. Likewise, any foreign football. Now if they want a bet then they’ll find a way to place it anyway, but unless your betting involving your own team, or at a push the rest of your competition (ie same league) then I see absolutely no issue.

Obviously this is a completely different issue altogether, and hopefully Rice gets all the help he needs as it’s a horrible disease, however the current rules in place aren’t fit for purpose.

People in football have wide connections.

For example, think of all the ex-Hibs players now plying their trade in other leagues and other countries.

It would be easy to influence a game in any league if people wanted to.

Pretty Boy
20-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Hopefully the SFA apply some common sense here and defer any ban/fine on the understanding Rice continues to seek help for his problems, proves he had done so and meets certain conditions.

It's help he needs. Not a ban and not a further loss of money. We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg with gambling problems at the moment, as the max stake on FOBTs drives more people onto the really destructive online market it's scary to think where we will be in a few years time. The ban on using credit cards to gamble that is due to come into effect is a good starting point.

lord bunberry
20-01-2020, 12:57 PM

It’s not the same as insider trading as that’s illegal. There is no law that says someone working in a certain sport can’t gamble on it. It’s only illegal if you’re fixing the outcome to win money.

Brightside
20-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Not sure what it has to do with Ruth Davidson mind you. She can't even be bothered having surgeries with her constituents.

B.H.F.C
Ladbrokes Premiership. William Hill Scottish Cup. Betfred Cup.

Man has a bet and admits he has a serious problem, the people accepting money from the sponsors will then come down heavily on him, rather than help him, no doubt.

Don’t know what he’s been betting on, that can put a different slant on things, right enough.

Hibbyradge
Hence the "nothing to do with their club" qualification. Players out on loan elsewhere would obviously count as "to do with their club".

If he's put a bet on 25 Premiership games down south over the last 2 years, for example, what has that got to do with Hamilton?

He'll know players in many of the EPL teams, or he'll have connections to them.

bingo70
20-01-2020, 12:59 PM
Hopefully the SFA apply some common sense here and defer any ban/fine on the understanding Rice continues to seek help for his problems, proves he had done so and meets certain conditions.

It's help he needs. Not a ban and not a further loss of money. We are only seeing the tip of the iceberg with gambling problems at the moment, as the max stake on FOBTs drives more people onto the really destructive online market it's scary to think where we will be in a few years time. The ban on using credit cards to gamble that is due to come into effect is a good starting point.

It never struck me until that ban was announced that people would gamble with a credit card and even then I can’t believe it’s taken so long for it to happen.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 01:00 PM
It’s not the same as insider trading as that’s illegal. There is no law that says someone working in a certain sport can’t gamble on it. It’s only illegal if you’re fixing the outcome to win money.

The ban is to lessen the temptation/opportunity to fix games.

Peevemor
20-01-2020, 01:03 PM
He'll know players in many of the EPL teams, or he'll have connections to them.

Exactly. It has to be all or nothing and the same rules for everyone.

lord bunberry
20-01-2020, 01:06 PM
The ban is to lessen the temptation/opportunity to fix games.
Fixing games is a whole different level. If people are going to go to the effort of actually fixing a game it’s unlikely they’re going to be bothered about a non gambling rule.

Purple & Green
20-01-2020, 01:30 PM

He didn’t turn himself in, a bookmaker went to the sfa with the information.

He might have self referred himself after he became aware the sfa were aware of his betting on the past year.

Allant1981
20-01-2020, 01:38 PM
He didn’t turn himself in, a bookmaker went to the sfa with the information.

He might have self referred himself after he became aware the sfa were aware of his betting on the past year.

Where are you reading this?

Oscar T Grouch
20-01-2020, 01:42 PM
Two great statements from Hamilton and BR. Gambling is insidious and is pushed into everyones faces wether you want it or not. Bookies are the only winners in gambling with no further proof needed than Bet365s CEO getting a third of a billion £ bonus. I hope Brian gets back on the wagon and manages to stay there for good, it must be hellish to be addicted to gambling these days

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 01:48 PM
Fixing games is a whole different level. If people are going to go to the effort of actually fixing a game it’s unlikely they’re going to be bothered about a non gambling rule.

It doesn't even have to be fixing.

You can bet on just about anything. For example, you can get 8/1 for a West Brom player to get sent off tonight. 6/1 for Stoke.

A penalty and a card in the first half gets you 60/1.

All of those are pretty easily arranged if you were that way inclined.

The rules stop everyone in football from betting on games, and from passing information which might be used for betting and rightly so.

Peevemor
20-01-2020, 01:50 PM

You can bet on just about anything. For example, you can get 8/1 for a West Brom player to get sent off tonight. 6/1 for Stoke.

The rules stop everyone in football from betting on games, and from passing information which might be used for betting and rightly so.

Time of the first throw-in anyone...?

Northernhibee
20-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Excellent statement and really great that both the chairman and Brian Rice are doing what they can to remove the stigma of gambling addiction.

Companies who sell alcohol and tobacco are heavily restricted on who they can target in terms of advertising, where and also who they sell to and at what times. Although it's everywhere the amount of effort to ensure that these laws are adhered to ensure that although lapsing back into addiction will always be a possibility, there are public groups where people can get confidential advice and help. Crucially, if someone is drunk then it is illegal to serve them more alcohol and if you know someone is a recovering alcoholic then it is illegal to serve them as well.

Gambling companies will have every third shop in impoverished areas, filled with FOBT's and will advertise as much as possible around sports events on the TV and live too. They will fund the likes of Wayne Rooney for a second tier club. There have to be options to self exclude but having known a couple of gambling addicts this never seemed too difficult to get removed or circumvent and unlike if someone is drunk, the bookies seem to have no problem in taking thousands off someone who doesn't have thousands to waste. Putting a "When the fun stops stop" banner at the bottom of your posters is meaningless when so much effort is put into getting people to bet in the first place.

It's time that the gambling companies are restricted as much as the alcohol and tobacco companies are. It seems far more acceptable for a bookies to take money off a gambling addict than it is for a bar to serve a recovering alcoholic IMO.

FOBTs and the sheer amount of betting shops in impoverished areas would be the equivalent of opening a number of bars around an AA meeting and flyering adverts for beer for those attending. It's completely immoral.

Smartie
20-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Not sure what it has to do with Ruth Davidson mind you. She can't even be bothered having surgeries with her constituents.

I’m no “conservative” but the Tories have made noises about dealing with the incipient gambling problem the nation is developing, so it might be to do with that, and I don’t disagree with their position.

The credit card solution is just the start of it.

The football authorities played quite a big role in helping him out of what was a potentially horrific situation before, it will be interesting to see if they are supportive again or punitive.

It is a horrific affliction, and I’d like to echo the sentiments that the statements were top class.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 01:52 PM

Exactly. Or goal kick.

Just have a shot from the halfway line and make sure it goes over the bar.

Gloucester Hibs
20-01-2020, 01:55 PM

Matt Le Tissier has admitted to being involved in something like that:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8236108.stm

Purple & Green
20-01-2020, 01:56 PM
Where are you reading this?

If you read between the lines in the bbc report, and I dare say on the sfa website notice of complaint if its up the logical conclusion is that information relating to private transactions between an individual and a bookmaker - or bookmakers - has reached the sfa.

I think you would have to be a bit naive to believe that information has been freely offered to the sfa by the individual.

What I'm not sure of - although perhaps others are - is bookmakers responsibilities in reporting transgressions by footballers to the appropriate bodies because FIFA code of ethics is very clear on this. My suspicion is that bookmakers will report as and when they become aware of it.

Peevemor
20-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Matt Le Tissier has admitted to being involved in something like that:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8236108.stm

I'm sure Robbie Fowler once suspiciously hoofed the ball out for a throw in straight from kick-off (it wasn't a tactic at the time). Thereafter the bookies only accepted spreads on timed events outwith the first 2 minutes.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 02:08 PM
I'm sure Robbie Fowler once suspiciously hoofed the ball out for a throw in straight from kick-off (it wasn't a tactic at the time). Thereafter the bookies only accepted spreads on timed events outwith the first 2 minutes.

PP let you bet on what happens in minute 1.00 to 1.59.

Yorkshire HFC
20-01-2020, 02:13 PM
A good opportunity for the nicest man in football, Guillaume Beuzelin, to get the gig. He might actually make them watchable.

I hope that Hamilton will stick with Rice and that he can turn it around.

Keith_M
20-01-2020, 02:20 PM

:agree:

The ruling is in place, quite rightly, to stop people gambling on games they can actively influence.

I don't see why anybody should be vilified for gambling on leagues in other countries, or games they are in no way involved in.

Yorkshire HFC
20-01-2020, 02:20 PM

Wimbledon of the Jones, Wise etc. era used to openly do this and even wrote about it in their biographies. They would win the toss then just kick the ball out for a throw in - and then collect their winnings.

lord bunberry
20-01-2020, 02:26 PM

All of those are pretty easily arranged if you were that way inclined.

What you describe is fixing and is 100% illegal. If you’re caught doing that it normally carries a custodial sentence. Do you remember the case a few years ago with the cricketers bowling no balls? I’m sure both of them were sent to prison.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 02:30 PM

The ruling is in place, quite rightly, to stop people gambling on games they can actively influence.

I don't see why anybody should be vilified for gambling on leagues in other countries, or games they are in no way involved in.

John McGinn is good mates with Liam Henderson.

Stephane Omeonga will also have friends in Italy and Belgium.

The football world is a relatively close knit community.

Northernhibee
20-01-2020, 02:33 PM
What you describe is fixing and is 100% illegal. If you’re caught doing that it normally carries a custodial sentence. Do you remember the case a few years ago with the cricketers bowling no balls? I’m sure both of them were sent to prison.
I do tend to think that the bookies don't help themselves either. Remember when that goalie (IIRC his name was Wayne Shaw) who they put a price of 25/1 on him eating a pie on the subs bench because he was fat, and he arranged with his friends to bring him a pie.

That was little more than bullying from them because he was overweight, and as soon as they got it up them they called foul.

They must have known that they were opening themselves up for something like that. It's hardly also a stretch of the imagination by opening up bets as to things like time of the first throw in etc. you're opening yourselves up big time for that sort of thing.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 02:41 PM

Yes, you're right. I meant fixing the result.

It's certainly illegal, and I'm sure it still happens, but if betting was allowed within football, it would be a lot more widespread. That would apply in every league, but particularly in the lower echelons when games don't attract the same crowds or TV exposure, and where players are paid a lot less.

I know an ex-player who gave a brown paper bag full of money to the captain of his team's next opponents. He called it their "holiday money".

Player 1s team needed the points to stay up. Player 2s team couldn't improve their league position.

I should say that this was a long time ago, and didn't involve Hibs.

H18 SFR
20-01-2020, 02:44 PM
I was sounded out at Junior level to see if I was interested in becoming involved in betting linked to games.

Some bookies at that time had been accepting bets at that level for a good while.

Pretty Boy
20-01-2020, 02:46 PM
Download a Tor browser, go on the dark Web and learn how to use it. You'll see how rife corruption linked to gambling is in football.

Ozyhibby
20-01-2020, 03:14 PM

Because the could have access to inside information.

hibbyfraelibby
20-01-2020, 03:15 PM
The hypocricy of the football authorities accepting sponsorship from the cancer that is gambling is mind boggling. Punish the addicts whilst encoraging them to feed their habit.

H18 SFR
20-01-2020, 03:26 PM
Download a Tor browser, go on the dark Web and learn how to use it. You'll see how rife corruption linked to gambling is in football.

What is that?

Pretty Boy
20-01-2020, 03:46 PM
What is that?

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3249765/what-is-the-dark-web-how-to-access-it-and-what-youll-find.html

KingPat4
20-01-2020, 03:56 PM
Two great statements from Hamilton and BR. Gambling is insidious and is pushed into everyones faces wether you want it or not. Bookies are the only winners in gambling with no further proof needed than Bet365s CEO getting a third of a billion £ bonus. I hope Brian gets back on the wagon and manages to stay there for good, it must be hellish to be addicted to gambling these days

Bet365 is a good example. They are the biggest online bookie on the planet, with no physical shops.

But here's the thing. You will never beat a bookie long term and it's nothing to do with picking winners.

If you are successful, you will be banned by the bookmaker it's as simple as that.

And sooner or later you will run out of places to bet.

It truly is a mugs game, you cannot win.

Brizo
20-01-2020, 04:00 PM
Sympathy for anyone suffering from any addiction and hopefully with the right support Rice can conquer this.

There was a gambling culture in the Hibs dressing room when he was assistant. Nothing to do with players betting illegally on matches but a culture of non football betting which led to players borrowing and owing money and at least one debt related square go. I wondered at the time why Yogi and Rice who generally managed in an "old school" fashion didn't clamp down on this but if Rice was a known gambler maybe it wasn't something he / they felt able to take the moral high ground on ?

neil7908
20-01-2020, 04:16 PM

That's a dangerous place to be sending folk!

KingPat4
20-01-2020, 04:40 PM

A bit like the occult. Be very careful, best avoided.

H18 SFR
20-01-2020, 04:46 PM
https://www.csoonline.com/article/3249765/what-is-the-dark-web-how-to-access-it-and-what-youll-find.html

Wow!

hibbysam
20-01-2020, 04:55 PM
Because the could have access to inside information.

So could anyone, so they should stop gambling on football altogether?

Pretty Boy
20-01-2020, 05:08 PM

My post wasn't meant as a serious suggestion, although there is a lot of interesting things to see on the DW. I'm just pointing out that corruption in football gambling exists and some players and managers are almost certainly in on it.

Of course that requires a certain level of trust of strangers on an anonymous platform. Those claiming they have access to 'fixed matches' are probably scammers looking to exploit a naive soul who thinks they have joined some mysterious underworld (in some cases they have, they just don't realise they are the victim). Information regarding controllable incidentals in a game is also shared, that's far more likely to be legit (whilst still being an easy hunting ground for scammers).

hibsbollah
20-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Hibs.net Administrator Incriminated in Distributing Dark Web Guide Scandal. :worried:

CockneyRebel
20-01-2020, 05:11 PM
If you read between the lines in the bbc report, and I dare say on the sfa website notice of complaint if its up the logical conclusion is that information relating to private transactions between an individual and a bookmaker - or bookmakers - has reached the sfa.

I think you would have to be a bit naive to believe that information has been freely offered to the sfa by the individual.

What I'm not sure of - although perhaps others are - is bookmakers responsibilities in reporting transgressions by footballers to the appropriate bodies because FIFA code of ethics is very clear on this. My suspicion is that bookmakers will report as and when they become aware of it.

If he had a few hefty wins and was sussed by the bookie as a manager then it's not a giant leap for said bookie to go crying to mamma. How do they get caught though? surely if you did this you would get a mate to put the bet on and he would get a share so he wouldn't kill the golden goose.

CMurdoch
20-01-2020, 05:23 PM

No way Brian Rice wrote that statement.
Both, I suspect, brilliantly written by the chief executive.

Hopefully Rice has self reported because the addiction was getting out of control again and this action stops him dead in his tracks and forces him back into getting treatment.

Online betting is mental, could see an addict just about being able to keep out of betting shops but no chance they can resist an online presence.

Cataplana
20-01-2020, 05:26 PM
No way Brian Rice wrote that statement.
Both, I suspect, brilliantly written by the chief executive.

Hopefully Rice has self reported because the addiction was getting out of control again and this action stops him dead in his tracks and forces him back into getting treatment.

Online betting is mental, could see an addict just about being able to keep out of betting shops but no chance they can resist an online presence.

Would it not take the same will power to avoid both?

Hibeesmad
20-01-2020, 05:30 PM

I'm sure I heard we used to do that during the days of Riordan and O'Connor.

McKenzie
20-01-2020, 08:48 PM
If players wanted to get around the betting habit in order to make money, they have mates who will do it for them. Really not that difficult. This guy obviously has an addiction which takes balls to admit so fully deserves the football community to come around him and support him. Something 100% needs done with bookmakers advertising in football, you hear Simon Jordan on talksport preach about it but more pressure needs putting on those in charge.

Danderhall Hibs
20-01-2020, 11:06 PM

You can work in financial services and still invest your money or buy shares. Insider dealing’s only when you know something’s going to happen and take advantage of it.

Putting a tenner on Liverpool to beat Man U while you’re the Hamilton manager isn’t the equivalent of selling your RBS shares just before the bank goes bust.

Purple & Green
20-01-2020, 11:37 PM
If he had a few hefty wins and was sussed by the bookie as a manager then it's not a giant leap for said bookie to go crying to mamma. How do they get caught though? surely if you did this you would get a mate to put the bet on and he would get a share so he wouldn't kill the golden goose.

In this case he had substantial losses.

Purple & Green
20-01-2020, 11:39 PM
You can work in financial services and still invest your money or buy shares. Insider dealing’s only when you know something’s going to happen and take advantage of it.

Putting a tenner on Liverpool to beat Man U while you’re the Hamilton manager isn’t the equivalent of selling your RBS shares just before the bank goes bust.

I agree, but my reading of the Fifa ethics is Brian Rice was explicitly prohibited from betting on any football match or activity. It’s impossible to believe he wasn’t aware of that.

Greentinted
21-01-2020, 12:40 AM
Excellent statement and really great that both the chairman and Brian Rice are doing what they can to remove the stigma of gambling addiction.

Companies who sell alcohol and tobacco are heavily restricted on who they can target in terms of advertising, where and also who they sell to and at what times. Although it's everywhere the amount of effort to ensure that these laws are adhered to ensure that although lapsing back into addiction will always be a possibility, there are public groups where people can get confidential advice and help. Crucially, if someone is drunk then it is illegal to serve them more alcohol and if you know someone is a recovering alcoholic then it is illegal to serve them as well.

Gambling companies will have every third shop in impoverished areas, filled with FOBT's and will advertise as much as possible around sports events on the TV and live too. They will fund the likes of Wayne Rooney for a second tier club. There have to be options to self exclude but having known a couple of gambling addicts this never seemed too difficult to get removed or circumvent and unlike if someone is drunk, the bookies seem to have no problem in taking thousands off someone who doesn't have thousands to waste. Putting a "When the fun stops stop" banner at the bottom of your posters is meaningless when so much effort is put into getting people to bet in the first place.

It's time that the gambling companies are restricted as much as the alcohol and tobacco companies are. It seems far more acceptable for a bookies to take money off a gambling addict than it is for a bar to serve a recovering alcoholic IMO.

FOBTs and the sheer amount of betting shops in impoverished areas would be the equivalent of opening a number of bars around an AA meeting and flyering adverts for beer for those attending. It's completely immoral.

Excellent post. Some very salient points, well said.

The 90+2
21-01-2020, 01:02 AM
All the best BR. Gambling is the worst addiction ever. He’s proven he’s a good head coach/manager and I think Hamilton will stick by him.

FilipinoHibs
21-01-2020, 03:24 AM

But you are likely to have inside information that the general public does not have and sets a bad example to players. Takes your focus off your job and can get you down affecting how you manage. Managers and players well enough paid and don't need to gamble.

I worked in financial services and never traded shares on my account. I felt in a privileged position and privy to lots of expert opinion and insights. Felt I should focus on my job for the company and my clients and not have distractions that would take my focus away.

hibbysam
21-01-2020, 07:57 AM
But you are likely to have inside information that the general public does not have and sets a bad example to players. Takes your focus off your job and can get you down affecting how you manage. Managers and players well enough paid and don't need to gamble.

I worked in financial services and never traded shares on my account. I felt in a privileged position and privy to lots of expert opinion and insights. Felt I should focus on my job for the company and my clients and not have distractions that would take my focus away.

Easy to say they’re well enough paid and shouldn’t gamble, but a disease like that it doesn’t matter how much you earn, and in some cases it is even worse when you earn even more as you have a lot more disposable income.

HIBERNIAN-0762
21-01-2020, 08:25 AM
Would be nice if Hibs fans give him a bit support from the stands tomorrow night, a good Hibee and an excellent player in his time at Easter Road 👍

FilipinoHibs
21-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Would be nice if Hibs fans give him a bit support from the stands tomorrow night, a good Hibee and an excellent player in his time at Easter Road 👍

Agree. Sympathy for his condition. Good to rid this from the game at the same time.

Northernhibee
21-01-2020, 01:35 PM
The two things that need removed from the game in Scotland are gambling and cocaine. The two also go hand in hand, the feeling of invincibility combined with the ability to pish hundreds or even thousands of your money up the wall with extreme ease is a dangerous combination.

The gambling part of it is easier - remove all betting company sponsorship from the leagues, competitions and clubs. Long term there should be much tighter controls of how many businesses that are gambling companies can operate in a certain area, and although it'd never happen I'd ban online gambling full stop. Going to a bingo hall with friends and having a few drinks is a sociable thing, pissing money into your smartphone on a Tuesday night isn't.

The true effects of the cocaine epidemic haven't fully yet been realised IMO but in terms of mental health, anti-social behaviour at football games, and physical health I wouldn't be against having sniffer dogs trained for cocaine at all category A games and randomly appearing at other games. It's a destructive drug but will be far more difficult to remove from football.

Rugy07
21-01-2020, 01:37 PM
I think the problem with the rule is that it's pretty much unenforceable. The vast majority of footballers outside the top divisions could walk into any bookies and have a bet with no problems. This is even more true of backroom staff. I also think the blanket ban is a massive overkill. While there is certainly the potential for some inside dealing, the chances of this happening in top matches is very small given the public information available and the salaries of the players involved. Bookies will not accept large bets on markets they know could be manipulated or which they don't know too much about. I'm not sure what the solution is, but the ban as it is at the moment, in my opinion is a complete farce.

Northernhibee
21-01-2020, 01:40 PM
I think the problem with the rule is that it's pretty much unenforceable. The vast majority of footballers outside the top divisions could walk into any bookies and have a bet with no problems. This is even more true of backroom staff. I also think the blanket ban is a massive overkill. While there is certainly the potential for some inside dealing, the chances of this happening in top matches is very small given the public information available and the salaries of the players involved. Bookies will not accept large bets on markets they know could be manipulated or which they don't know too much about. I'm not sure what the solution is, but the ban as it is at the moment, in my opinion is a complete farce.

It'd be incredibly naive to think that an ageing pro near the end of his career at a team who are at the bottom end of the table wouldn't be tempted to pocket a big payday.

Aim Here
21-01-2020, 01:52 PM

That's not the right argument. Arguments about insider information and abusing your privileges are arguments from the point of view of supporting the gambling industry and protecting it from the malign influence of, errr, football, and those can GTF. If folks with insider information in fitba' are able to shaft Ladbrokes or Bet365, it's not any kind of a problem - I totally approve of scamming the bookies. If they don't like it, they can find a less evil and unhealthy way of making a profit. (The evilness and healthiness or otherwise of the financial services industries is not something I'll comment on!)

The problem is when folks who have a material influence on the outcome of a football match are involved in gambling on football matches, because that ruins the integrity of fitba'.

Northernhibee
21-01-2020, 01:56 PM
That's not the right argument. Arguments about insider information and abusing your privileges are arguments from the point of view of supporting the gambling industry and protecting it from the malign influence of, errr, football, and those can GTF. If folks with insider information in fitba' are able to shaft Ladbrokes or Bet365, it's not any kind of a problem - I totally approve of scamming the bookies. If they don't like it, they can find a less evil and unhealthy way of making a profit. (The evilness and healthiness or otherwise of the financial services industries is not something I'll comment on!)

The problem is when folks who have a material influence on the outcome of a football match are involved in gambling on football matches, because that ruins the integrity of fitba'.

I mentioned it before but when that non league goalie who ate a pie on the bench because a bookies put a price of 25/1 on him doing so found himself banned and fined heavily from football, that was pathetic from the bookies. They wanted to have a laugh at his weight and he had the last word and made his mates some money in the process.

Didn't affect the outcome of the game, didn't affect anything, the bookies thought they'd take the piss out of him and he took the piss back. When they complained about it and affected his personal work with his club, they showed themselves for the ****bags they are behind all the friendly banter and funny social media videos they hide behind. The bookies are nasty pieces of work.

Rugy07
21-01-2020, 02:10 PM
I mentioned it before but when that non league goalie who ate a pie on the bench because a bookies put a price of 25/1 on him doing so found himself banned and fined heavily from football, that was pathetic from the bookies. They wanted to have a laugh at his weight and he had the last word and made his mates some money in the process.

Didn't affect the outcome of the game, didn't affect anything, the bookies thought they'd take the piss out of him and he took the piss back. When they complained about it and affected his personal work with his club, they showed themselves for the ****bags they are behind all the friendly banter and funny social media videos they hide behind. The bookies are nasty pieces of work.

The Sutton goalie thing was a disgrace. The bet was that he would eat a pie during the game. Had he not eaten a pie, Sun Bet would have won and all the fans would have lost. Whatever he did, there would be a winner and a loser yet he still lost his job. Who would have thought a company with as fine a reputation as The Sun would do something like this....

lord bunberry
21-01-2020, 04:28 PM

There is absolutely nothing illegal about having inside information when putting a bet on the football or any other sport for that matter. Horse racing is a prime example of this, you constantly have trainers, owners and stable staff betting on the races.

ancient hibee
21-01-2020, 05:00 PM
With gambling addicts the winning or losing doesn't matter.It's the putting the bet on that is the big thrill.

Scouse Hibee
21-01-2020, 05:04 PM

He turned himself in, the information cane from Rice himself.

Hibbyradge
21-01-2020, 05:18 PM

Why is it a farce?

Are footballers being denied a fundamental right? Are their lives being ruined because they can't have a £2 Super Yankee on a Saturday? No, it's quite the reverse given the well publicised problems so many footballers experience.

The rule is in place to help protect the integrity of our national game and there's nothing farcical about that objective.

Rugy07
21-01-2020, 05:27 PM
Why is it a farce?

Are footballers being denied a fundamental right? Are their lives being ruined because they can't have a £2 Super Yankee on a Saturday? No, it's quite the reverse given the well publicised problems so many footballers experience.

The rule is in place to help protect the integrity of our national game and there's nothing farcical about that objective.

I don't think the intent is a farce, I think the way it is done is a farce. It's so so easy to break without getting caught and according to the BBC today, there are 4-5 people openly gambling in every changing room in Scotland, so it is clearly not working in its current form.

Hibbyradge
21-01-2020, 05:32 PM
I don't think the intent is a farce, I think the way it is done is a farce. It's so so easy to break without getting caught and according to the BBC today, there are 4-5 people openly gambling in every changing room in Scotland, so it is clearly not working in its current form.

The farce, therefore, is that players are blatantly breaking the rules and risking their careers.

Relaxing or removing the rule certainly won't improve the integrity of football.

I'm finding it difficult to get a hold of Scottish football's rules on this, but the FA document is an interesting, and easy, read.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/

Rugy07
21-01-2020, 05:47 PM
The farce, therefore, is that players are blatantly breaking the rules and risking their careers.

Relaxing or removing the rule certainly won't improve the integrity of football.

I'm finding it difficult to get a hold of Scottish football's rules on this, but the FA document is an interesting, and easy, read.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/

But are they risking their careers? Usually a small fine and a couple of games ban, and that's for betting on your own team. I personally think one of the reasons it is not taken seriously is that a lot of people think it is too harsh a rule and struggle to see how a lower league Scottish player could have any impact on (e.g.) Brazil winning the world cup. And the punishments subsequently handed out seem to agree with that conclusion. Maybe they should be a lot harsher, but then the argument is that the person is suffering enough already, which I would certainly agree with in Brian Rice's case. I remember being absolutely stunned when Ian Black was given a 2 or 3 game ban for betting against his own team with some additional games suspended.

Hibbyradge
21-01-2020, 06:26 PM
But are they risking their careers? Usually a small fine and a couple of games ban, and that's for betting on your own team. I personally think one of the reasons it is not taken seriously is that a lot of people think it is too harsh a rule and struggle to see how a lower league Scottish player could have any impact on (e.g.) Brazil winning the world cup. And the punishments subsequently handed out seem to agree with that conclusion. Maybe they should be a lot harsher, but then the argument is that the person is suffering enough already, which I would certainly agree with in Brian Rice's case. I remember being absolutely stunned when Ian Black was given a 2 or 3 game ban for betting against his own team with some additional games suspended.

Not everyone who breaks the gambling rule is suffering at all. In fact, I'd say it was a very small proportion.

My point is that the rule is there for the right reasons.

Alex Miller, and maybe some players, were caught betting on themselves to win the Skol Cup in 1991. At the time, that seemed daft to me, but I understand now why that too, is forbidden.

Purple & Green
21-01-2020, 08:12 PM
He turned himself in, the information cane from Rice himself.

It's a bit of a jump to believe he turned himself in October, and only chose to go public the day the notice of complaint was issued. The more you think about that, and the implications of the betting, the more unlikely I would suggest that getting punished and getting help are linked.

Purple & Green
21-01-2020, 08:45 PM

It's like investigating the mafia, but I've gleaned a bit more information.

Gambling operators have a condition attached to their licence which requires them to notify Sports Governing Bodies of suspected breaches.

The Gambling Commission in the past have prepared reports on the gambling activities, upon request from governing bodies or on the back of reports of gambling breaches.

Reports of breaches seem to be rare, and the bookmakers own intelligence seems to rarely report offenders.

1875Sean
21-01-2020, 10:23 PM
Feel sorry for anyone who has a gambling addiction however I can’t be bother with all this chat around leagues, cups and teams shouldn’t be sponsored by betting companies, at the end of the day Scottish football can’t be knocking back the best offers that are on the table! I liked some of the things marathon bet did while sponsoring us over the years

Cataplana
22-01-2020, 11:46 AM
Feel sorry for anyone who has a gambling addiction however I can’t be bother with all this chat around leagues, cups and teams shouldn’t be sponsored by betting companies, at the end of the day Scottish football can’t be knocking back the best offers that are on the table! I liked some of the things marathon bet did while sponsoring us over the years

Would you be happy for tobacco companies to be allowed to sponsor sports?

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 11:50 AM
Would you be happy for tobacco companies to be allowed to sponsor sports?

They are.

Northernhibee
22-01-2020, 11:52 AM

You do realise that these companies pretend to be pally and friendly when in fact they want to take you for all of your money? There's a reason that more than any other industry they want to be seen as a friendly face than a professional organisation (all of PaddyPower's stunts and the like) - the actual industry itself is a horrible, grubby one.

The alcohol trade by and large have stuck to the spirit of the law (no pun intended) to stop excessive advertising and for assistance for problem drinkers, the tobacco industry needed a great deal of coercion and did everything they could to circumvent their responsibilities but have now perhaps fallen into line, the bookies charm people in with their stunts and the like and then flood the streets that can least afford to lose money with bookies, FOBTs, adverts at half time on the TV and social media with laddish, familiar faces like Ray Winstone saying "Look at these odds" and offer free bets to get people into the process of gambling (like how drug dealers will often offer those who are vulnerable cheap or free drugs to begin with).

It's a grubby, grubby industry.

Cataplana
22-01-2020, 12:10 PM
They are.

More specifically, football.

Peevemor
22-01-2020, 12:17 PM
More specifically, football.

To be honest I think it's ridiculous that companies aren't permitted to advertise products that are entirely legal.

lord bunberry
22-01-2020, 03:40 PM
It's like investigating the mafia, but I've gleaned a bit more information.

Gambling operators have a condition attached to their licence which requires them to notify Sports Governing Bodies of suspected breaches.

The Gambling Commission in the past have prepared reports on the gambling activities, upon request from governing bodies or on the back of reports of gambling breaches.

Reports of breaches seem to be rare, and the bookmakers own intelligence seems to rarely report offenders.
It’s highly unlikely that Rice is gambling with a reputable or even licensed bookmaker. He won’t be betting online or in the bookies, it will be on credit over the phone. Remember when Brebner got into bother through gambling and people were turning up at training looking for him, that wasn’t Ladbrokes or Hills looking for him. Paul Merson was the same, it’s usually gangster type people taking these bets and they don’t take kindly to not being paid.

Cataplana
22-01-2020, 04:24 PM
To be honest I think it's ridiculous that companies aren't permitted to advertise products that are entirely legal.

Good point, I was trying to say that it's strange that they can advertise gambling, but not tobacco.

1875Sean
22-01-2020, 10:34 PM
You do realise that these companies pretend to be pally and friendly when in fact they want to take you for all of your money? There's a reason that more than any other industry they want to be seen as a friendly face than a professional organisation (all of PaddyPower's stunts and the like) - the actual industry itself is a horrible, grubby one.

The alcohol trade by and large have stuck to the spirit of the law (no pun intended) to stop excessive advertising and for assistance for problem drinkers, the tobacco industry needed a great deal of coercion and did everything they could to circumvent their responsibilities but have now perhaps fallen into line, the bookies charm people in with their stunts and the like and then flood the streets that can least afford to lose money with bookies, FOBTs, adverts at half time on the TV and social media with laddish, familiar faces like Ray Winstone saying "Look at these odds" and offer free bets to get people into the process of gambling (like how drug dealers will often offer those who are vulnerable cheap or free drugs to begin with).

At the end of the day if people are wanting to bet they would bet!

Generation of snowflakes, what’s next ... we gonna rule out being sponsor by any major firms like macdonalds, mars due to the obesity in Scotland? Where do you draw the line?

Pretty Boy
23-01-2020, 09:47 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50828086

This is worth a read.

Hermit Crab
23-01-2020, 10:29 PM
I feel sorry for anyone working within the game who may have a gambling addiction. You can't escape it in the game.

The Ladbrokes premiership
The William Hill Scottish Cup
The Betfred Cup

Teams sponsored by betting companies.

Adverts on the TV before, then at HT during games.

Gambling in football is everywhere.

Maybe the SFA should be doing more to restrict gambling companies becoming so heavily involved in football.

Northernhibee
23-01-2020, 10:34 PM
At the end of the day if people are wanting to bet they would bet!

Generation of snowflakes, what’s next ... we gonna rule out being sponsor by any major firms like macdonalds, mars due to the obesity in Scotland? Where do you draw the line?

I draw the line at taking the opinion of anyone who uses phrases like “snowflakes” for one.

Carheenlea
23-01-2020, 10:36 PM
I feel sorry for anyone working within the game who may have a gambling addiction. You can't escape it in the game.

The Ladbrokes premiership
The William Hill Scottish Cup
The Betfred Cup

Teams sponsored by betting companies.

Adverts on the TV before, then at HT during games.

Gambling in football is everywhere.

Maybe the SFA should be doing more to restrict gambling companies becoming so heavily involved in football.

I`m not a gambler, so I associate those companies/brands with the Scottish Cup, Premier Leage and League Cup. It doesn't even register with me that they are betting companies.
Being a non gambler obviously I`m in no place to comment on how influential those sponsorship deals are in encouraging people to bet at their shops, though I`m sure they won`t be doing it simply as a good will gesture.

Hermit Crab
23-01-2020, 11:01 PM
I`m not a gambler, so I associate those companies/brands with the Scottish Cup, Premier Leage and League Cup. It doesn't even register with me that they are betting companies.
Being a non gambler obviously I`m in no place to comment on how influential those sponsorship deals are in encouraging people to bet at their shops, though I`m sure they won`t be doing it simply as a good will gesture.

Someone recovering from gambling addiction or someone who has a current gambling addiction is really up against it if they are a fan of football. Adverts are everywhere!

Pretty Boy
24-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Someone recovering from gambling addiction or someone who has a current gambling addiction is really up against it if they are a fan of football. Adverts are everywhere!

The big problem with a lot of gambling advertisements is they are intentionally misleading. Watch any advert for slots and it will show bonus after bonus rolling in, big wins and jackpots. I've played through £200 on slots before and barely seen a 50p win line never mind multiple bonuses. Don't get me started on William Hills ambiguous 'no one harmed by gambling' advert at the Scottish Cup Final.

Alcohol companies are very restricted in their advertising. As an example they can't present the idea that having a drink improves a social event or improves a person's mood. They also can't suggest it makes someone more attractive to prospective partners. Yet gambling companies present this totally unrealistic idea about how easy it is to win and that's fine.

mjhibby
24-01-2020, 08:10 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50828086

This is worth a read.

I think that states what seems already evidently true. How to tackle it is the issue. As long as profit is more important than folks wellbeing it's not going to change. Tackling what causes the addiction is what's needed but there is no magical solution.

givescotlandfreedom
26-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Just in case you forgot what lowlife we have as 'journalists' https://twitter.com/Sunday_Mail/status/1221334947501428737?s=19

Hermit Crab
26-01-2020, 04:00 PM
Just in case you forgot what lowlife we have as 'journalists' https://twitter.com/Sunday_Mail/status/1221334947501428737?s=19

Absolutely horrendous and the paper is being rightly slaughtered.

bigwheel
26-01-2020, 04:10 PM

Dear oh dear...what away to isolate someone battling against addiction...disgraceful journalism

A Hi-Bee
26-01-2020, 05:56 PM

They are all grubby, grubby industries as you call it, the 3 together have killed more people than most of all the wars put together, crazy world eh when we put profit before people.

BroxburnHibee
26-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Absolutely horrendous and the paper is being rightly slaughtered.

I wonder if Rice knew that was coming. Hence his confession.

Hibeesmad
30-01-2020, 03:20 PM
10 match ban, 5 of them suspended.

hibbysam
30-01-2020, 03:35 PM
10 match ban, 5 of them suspended.

Punishment should be consistent across the board. A more severe punishment than betting against your own team, and also admitting you have an issue rather than getting caught is staggering. Piss poor.

PeeKay
30-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Punishment should be consistent across the board. A more severe punishment than betting against your own team, and also admitting you have an issue rather than getting caught is staggering. Piss poor.

The SFA gave Joey Barton a one match ban (in comparison the FA gave him 18 months!) but Ian Black got the same as Rice, but with seven suspended.
As with all things SFA there never seems to be any consistency, although they would argue that they look at each case individually.

The 90+2
30-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Good news for Rice and Hamilton. And because of the lenient punishment it might just get a few more people in football to open up and seek help.

Northernhibee
30-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Absolute joke. All that does is dissuade others in football with a gambling problem from coming forward, help and support should have been the main emphasis behind the decision.

Since90+2
30-01-2020, 05:20 PM
Good news for Rice and Hamilton. And because of the lenient punishment it might just get a few more people in football to open up and seek help.

Lenient?

hibbysam
30-01-2020, 06:03 PM
The SFA gave Joey Barton a one match ban (in comparison the FA gave him 18 months!) but Ian Black got the same as Rice, but with seven suspended.
As with all things SFA there never seems to be any consistency, although they would argue that they look at each case individually.

Black was the one I was hinting at. 3 games suspended and 7 on hold pending good behaviour, when in reality he bet against his own side more than once, and never turned himself in. Seems utterly ridiculous.

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2020, 07:08 PM

I wouldn’t call it lenient.

The 90+2
30-01-2020, 09:05 PM
I wouldn’t call it lenient.

In comparison to other leagues it definitely is.

Keyser Sauzee
30-01-2020, 09:54 PM
10 game ban, will Hamilton get rid now? Pointless keeping him if they need him to sort them out now

hibbysam
30-01-2020, 09:54 PM
In comparison to other leagues it definitely is.

Do you have any examples?

ancient hibee
30-01-2020, 10:39 PM
10 game ban, will Hamilton get rid now? Pointless keeping him if they need him to sort them out now
5 games suspended.Nothing to stop him being at training.

The 90+2
31-01-2020, 12:05 AM
Do you have any examples?

Yep

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/26/joey-barton-exposes-terrible-gambler-defence-ban/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22658711

hibbysam
31-01-2020, 07:41 AM
Yep

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/26/joey-barton-exposes-terrible-gambler-defence-ban/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22658711

The second link, he got banned for 4 months, backdated to May, but only needed to serve 1 month, considering end of May to end of June (when he was banned) he would have played 0 matches as it was the off season.

The Barton case is slightly different also in that he placed thousands upon thousands of bets while in England, but only a very small amount when in Scotland. I would say the punishments down there are very harsh rather than ours very lenient. Unless someone is caught fixing games then it should be a small ban, and help given to the individual.

Northernhibee
19-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Some utterly brainless Falkirk fan was apparently goading him about this at the weekends game. Clearly got to him going by his post match interview too.

Absolutely shameful, gambling addiction is a horrible thing.