PDA

View Full Version : Six Nations 2020

Hibeesmad
20-01-2020, 03:16 AM
I think Wales will win it again this year.

WeeRussell
20-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Sorry to start with a negative one but I think this may be the end of Townsend's reign. Second bottom for us I think.

Happy for anyone who follows the sport to give me more hope though, as my rugby knowledge is very limited.

McD
20-01-2020, 08:06 PM
Sorry to start with a negative one but I think this may be the end of Townsend's reign. Second bottom for us I think.

Happy for anyone who follows the sport to give me more hope though, as my rugby knowledge is very limited.

sadly I think you could be right, we seem to be going backwards under his stewardship

Pretty Boy
21-01-2020, 07:42 AM
I was speaking to a 'Scottish Rugby legend' the other day through work. He was certain Townsend will be away regardless of how the tournament goes.

He hates him though so may just be wishful thinking on his part.

Sylar
21-01-2020, 09:40 AM

While I'm happy with the squad Townsend has picked, part of me fears you may be right. There's a lot of youth and energy in the squad, and he's pulled in a lot of the players from a hugely successful Edinburgh side so far, but we lack the physicality compared to France, England, Wales or Ireland. I like that Townsend has tried to continue us playing a fast and dynamic form of rugby, but there's 2 sides to the game. Also, our handling always seem to let us down when we're playing the high-speed version we try and play.

I fancy it'll finish: England, Ireland, Wales, France, Scotland, Italy, sadly. Our opening two games are truly brutal, but we're capable of beating both Italy and France (at home anyway). I have a horrible feeling we'll finish with just the 1 win though.

nellio
23-01-2020, 01:10 PM
I think Wales will win it again this year.

We will be up there. We have England at Twickenham though which will be hard.

Mantis Toboggan
23-01-2020, 01:13 PM
We will be up there. We have England at Twickenham though which will be hard.

Today's news doesnt make me think we will be up there

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2020, 04:11 PM

It’ll be interesting to hear what he’s done to warrant being kicked out.

Torto7
23-01-2020, 05:06 PM
I've been told a few times now by people involved in the game that Hogg and Finn can't stand each other. Apparently Laidlaw kept the peace. I wonder if Laidlaw retiring and Hogg being made captain has led to this. Also Russell and Townsend had a barney at Twickenham last year. Then add in the court case with his dad and the SRU. It makes me wonder if we'll see him play for Scotland again.

Darcy Graham is injured as well by the sounds of things. A very Scottish lead in to the tournament.

I can't see past England btw. I expect France to improve with Shaun Edwards on board and the u20 world cup winners coming through for them.

McD
23-01-2020, 08:19 PM
It’ll be interesting to hear what he’s done to warrant being kicked out.

something to do with drinking in the training camp, then leaving when he was told he’d not be selected for the opening game, allegedly.

I've been told a few times now by people involved in the game that Hogg and Finn can't stand each other. Apparently Laidlaw kept the peace. I wonder if Laidlaw retiring and Hogg being made captain has led to this. Also Russell and Townsend had a barney at Twickenham last year. Then add in the court case with his dad and the SRU. It makes me wonder if we'll see him play for Scotland again.

Darcy Graham is injured as well by the sounds of things. A very Scottish lead in to the tournament.

I can't see past England btw. I expect France to improve with Shaun Edwards on board and the u20 world cup winners coming through for them.

that’s interesting about Hogg and Russell, you’d think playing together for years at Glasgow they wouldn’t need a peacekeeper in the Scotland squad :dunno:

nellio
24-01-2020, 01:06 PM

Speak for yourself, I'm Welsh!

Do think Scotland could be in trouble now with the Russell news.

weecounty hibby
24-01-2020, 03:54 PM
I've seen Russell having almost as many pish games for Scotland than he has good ones. Hastings will be just fine at 10. He has a tendency to believe that he is the be all and end all. If he was drinking, no matter how much, during training camp then the right decision has been made. I still think that this year we can finish above Italy and Ireland

hfc rd
24-01-2020, 10:18 PM
Not feeling confident at all heading into this campaign. Townsend looks out of his depth and the squad is nowhere near strong enough to worry the likes of England & Ireland..

Personally can’t see past England this year for the grand slam.

JimBHibees
25-01-2020, 07:25 AM
I was speaking to a 'Scottish Rugby legend' the other day through work. He was certain Townsend will be away regardless of how the tournament goes.

He hates him though so may just be wishful thinking on his part.

Why does he hate him? Gregor seems a genuinely decent guy.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Why does he hate him? Gregor seems a genuinely decent guy.

They played together so I assume it stems from that. He doesn't have a good word to say about him and insists Scotland would be in a far better position if they had stuck with Cotter. 'His ego is greater than his ability' was close to the quote he used.

PeeJay
25-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Is the Six Nations tournament shown live on the BBC or is it only available on Sky or something like that?

hfc rd
25-01-2020, 12:22 PM
is the six nations tournament shown live on the bbc or is it only available on sky or something like that?

bbc & itv

PeeJay
25-01-2020, 01:13 PM
bbc & itv

Cheers - that'll make a difference for me, I've had to watch the games on French tv as Germany doesn't show the games - it's better watching in a language you understand :greengrin

Jones28
01-02-2020, 03:11 PM
Wales 40 Italy 0, so a great start for the holders, I was expecting more from Italy.

hibsbollah
01-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Wales 40 Italy 0, so a great start for the holders, I was expecting more from Italy.

Why? I'm not a massive rugby follower but aren't they always either 6th or (occasionally 5th if we're worse than them), every single year?

Rugby suffers from predictable results at this level.

Just Alf
01-02-2020, 03:20 PM
Why? I'm not a massive rugby follower but aren't they always either 6th or (occasionally 5th if we're worse than them), every single year?

Rugby suffers from predictable results at this level.A few years ago they were ALWAYS the whipping boys, in recent years though, while still likely to get beat the gulf between the teams was much less.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
01-02-2020, 04:57 PM
Brilliant start by Wales 👍 Josh Adams en route to being top try scorer again following the World Cup.

cabbageandribs1875
01-02-2020, 05:04 PM
what an incredible **** up by hogg dropping that ball forward on the try line,just astonishing

of course the usual dreadfull decision making by us as well, in the 1st half opting to take a pop at goals from out at the touchline instead of kicking it out down at the flag for a line out, the kick of course flying metres wide of the post

Mr Grieves
01-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Wow, how did Hogg manage to drop that?

cabbageandribs1875
01-02-2020, 05:30 PM
No 12 johnson gifts ireland the penalty that should see the irish see the game out

this could have been so different

cabbageandribs1875
01-02-2020, 05:36 PM
lol i've never saw a country that ****s up so often at the try line, we insist on slowing it down allowing the opposition defence time to get organised.

and yet another muck up

Just_Jimmy
01-02-2020, 05:44 PM
I'm sick of saying it. It's piss poor coaching. We constantly mess up with turnovers and handling errors on the try line.

I cannot believe they chased Vern away for this charlatan.

Townsend's finished after this 6 nations. Long over due.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
01-02-2020, 05:49 PM
Silly mistakes costing us again. Hoggs drop is a ****ing disgrace at test match level.

Dalianwanda
01-02-2020, 06:16 PM
Just back from watching (never normally venture out for these games)...quietest i’ve heard the pub at and Ireland game and most can’t believe they won. All from Scottish errors, real shame as we played great.

heretoday
01-02-2020, 07:19 PM
Hogg dropped the ball. End of story............................

Sylar
01-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Hogg dropped the ball. End of story............................

Frustrating as that was, it really wasn't the end of the story. Unfair to blame just Hogg for today - a collective failure to not give away penalties in both 22s. Agree with poster further up - coaching is atrocious!

CloudSquall
01-02-2020, 07:51 PM
Is there another country at the top level that makes so many basic errors?

weecounty hibby
01-02-2020, 08:04 PM

No and it's why we are one of the lowest ranked tier one nations. Some of the play was excellent but it was negated by the stupid errors and poor decision making at times. That was a real chance to beat Ireland today. They are no great shakes but they know how to win matches

hibsbollah
02-02-2020, 02:39 PM
:sauzee:

Smartie
02-02-2020, 02:43 PM
I don't watch much rugby but I tend to enjoy it when I do.

I'd channel-flicked past the pre-game build-up when Guscott etc were giving it the usual so I got curious and decided to watch this.

Rarely have I ever enjoyed half a game of a sport I don't really "get" as I've enjoyed this.

Can't wait for the half time analysis.

Mr Grieves
02-02-2020, 02:43 PM

England are trying their best.

hibsbollah
02-02-2020, 02:47 PM

I'd channel-flicked past the pre-game build-up when Guscott etc were giving it the usual so I got curious and decided to watch this.

Rarely have I ever enjoyed half a game of a sport I don't really "get" as I've enjoyed this.

Stand by for gammon rage.

Jones28
02-02-2020, 02:49 PM

Rugby suffers from predictable results at this level.

More about their play than the score line. They’ve become a much better side in the last few years and put in some good displays in the World Cup. Nobodies expecting ourselves or Italy to achieve anything.

weecounty hibby
02-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Eddie Jones was saying he wants to turn this team into the greatest ever team in rugby. Arrogant ****er that no-one in rugby has a good word about. Well suited as England coach. Arrogance beyond belief. Good to see them taking a pumping. Hope it continues into second half and next week as well

Jones28
02-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Eddie Jones was saying he wants to turn this team into the greatest ever team in rugby. Arrogant ****er that no-one in rugby has a good word about. Well suited as England coach. Arrogance beyond belief. Good to see them taking a pumping. Hope it continues into second half and next week as well

English exceptionalism at its finest.

Mon the cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Jones28
02-02-2020, 02:53 PM

I get a fair amount of rugby but most analysis is gibberish to me 😂

Watch the use of TMO though, this is how to do it.

hibsbollah
02-02-2020, 02:59 PM
I would cheerfully strangle some of those dicks mugging behind Inverdale. Why is that a thing?

cabbageandribs1875
02-02-2020, 03:41 PM
le french must surely be thinking back to last seasons game against the welsh and how they totally bottled it....could easily happen again here if england score next,only 10 points in it now

3 mins remaining, surely they can hold on now 😮

safe to watch leeds rhinos now😊

JeMeSouviens
02-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Shaun Edwards has worked his magic on the French defence.

hfc rd
02-02-2020, 06:00 PM
The French have some very talented youngsters coming through. Definitely the dark horses to look out for.

Sergio sledge
03-02-2020, 06:48 PM
I'm sick of saying it. It's piss poor coaching. We constantly mess up with turnovers and handling errors on the try line.

I cannot believe they chased Vern away for this charlatan.

Townsend's finished after this 6 nations. Long over due.

I think Townsend is on borrowed time, but we made the same mistakes under Cotter as we are still making now. We've been doing it for 10 years and no coach has been able to sort it.

I thought that this was an interesting article, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51256178 I Townsend has a slightly better record as coach than Cotter seemingly, which was a surprise to me to be honest, maybe a case of rose tinted glasses when looking at Cotters record.

JeMeSouviens
03-02-2020, 09:06 PM
I think Townsend is on borrowed time, but we made the same mistakes under Cotter as we are still making now. We've been doing it for 10 years and no coach has been able to sort it.

I thought that this was an interesting article, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51256178 I Townsend has a slightly better record as coach than Cotter seemingly, which was a surprise to me to be honest, maybe a case of rose tinted glasses when looking at Cotters record.

Cotter left Scotland in a much better state than he found them though. That improvement has at least stalled if not gone backwards.

Sergio sledge
04-02-2020, 05:57 AM
Cotter left Scotland in a much better state than he found them though. That improvement has at least stalled if not gone backwards.

It's certainly stalled. We need to show some improvement or Townsend could be out after this tournament. I just don't think he's been as bad as people make out. The last six Nations and world cup were a disaster though.

Hibby Bairn
05-02-2020, 06:14 PM
With England and France at home and Ireland, Wales and Italy away this year it looks likely we’ll be playing Italy for the wooden spoon. In all probability 4 defeats and hopefully 1 win.

heretoday
07-02-2020, 10:54 AM
The French have some very talented youngsters coming through. Definitely the dark horses to look out for.

I agree!

Golden Bear
08-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Best of luck to Scotland today in the big Calcutta Cup clash v the Auld Enemy. I hope Stuart Hogg, (who is a big Hibby) has a good day with the boot and has wiped the soap from his hands after his embarrassing wee faux pas last week in Dublin!

It's going to be a big TV day for me today, I'm really looking forward to both our game and the Ireland v Wales clash.

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Come on ENGLAND get intae them 😁

Jones28
08-02-2020, 12:49 PM
We could just about do it today. Need the pack to be really strong against what is a hugely powerful England. Stick to playing ball-in-hand rugby and we have a chance. If we resort to Townsends get-it/kick-it hoofball rugby we will be well beaten.

Mr Grieves
08-02-2020, 01:23 PM
Best of luck to Scotland today in the big Calcutta Cup clash v the Auld Enemy. I hope Stuart Hogg, (who is a big Hibby) has a good day with the boot and has wiped the soap from his hands after his embarrassing wee faux pas last week in Dublin!

It's going to be a big TV day for me today, I'm really looking forward to both our game and the Ireland v Wales clash.

Same here, I'm only moving from the sofa for beer.

Fancy Wales to win today even though Ireland are formidable at home and I'm worried England are going to skelp us. Then we've the pleasure of watching the bairns beating the Jambos on council telly too.

Golden Bear
08-02-2020, 01:35 PM
All Ireland so far, pressure has got to tell soon.

Golden Bear
08-02-2020, 01:38 PM
5-0 but Sexton duck hooks the conversion attempt. 😁

Mr Grieves
08-02-2020, 01:47 PM
Wales ahead with converted try

Golden Bear
08-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Professionalism in rugby union has resulted in the players increasingly questioning the referees' decisions. They've obviously learnt from their football counterparts unfortunately.

hibsbollah
08-02-2020, 03:42 PM
Why do they still insist on showing princess Anne shaking the hands of all players and officials? It's hardly riveting viewing, even for a rabid royalist.

Jones28
08-02-2020, 03:56 PM
We’re really struggling with England’s power. As the game goes on that’s doing us no favours

Mr Grieves
08-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Stop giving away stupid penalties ya fuds.

cabbageandribs1875
08-02-2020, 04:01 PM
two penalties cummings has gifted, the 2nd one punished

wtf is going on with our lineouts

Jones28
08-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Line outs ffs, why do we bother?

Just_Jimmy
08-02-2020, 04:02 PM
Handing is standard pish under Townsend.

cabbageandribs1875
08-02-2020, 04:05 PM
ooooh very adventurous not taking the points, of course we do what we normally do when down at the opposition try line & **** it up, no change

cabbageandribs1875
08-02-2020, 04:08 PM
what a freakin embarrassment our lineouts are, absolutely ambarrassing

Golden Bear
08-02-2020, 04:11 PM
The wind must make it very difficult for the hookers throwing the ball in at the lineout all the same.

cabbageandribs1875
08-02-2020, 04:14 PM
england don't have to be very good here

BS44
08-02-2020, 04:17 PM
If we don't score first half it's possible we will lose this game to nil

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Bored to tears

cabbageandribs1875
08-02-2020, 04:23 PM
wooden spoon fixture in two weeks time, good chance for italy to avoid it this season

Golden Bear
08-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Not looking good, England are playing the conditions a lot better so far. The second half could be an embarrassment.

hibsbollah
08-02-2020, 04:28 PM
Considering we had the wind this half a 0-3 deficit is a bad return. I cant see anything else but a comfortable England win.

-Jonesy-
08-02-2020, 04:34 PM
Hoping Scotland can be crafty against the wind second half somehow, did well receiving in dodgy conditions so maybe can get on the end of some of our own up and unders. We look pish technically when it comes down to handling and keeping the ball under contact though

Pretty Boy
08-02-2020, 04:37 PM
Game has been a bit of a face really, averaging a kick almost once every minute.

Also, and apologies if the answer is obvious, why is there not standard pitch dimensions in rugby? There was an incident in the 1st half when Hogg kicked the ball long and the commentator said if it wasn't for the huge in goal areas at Murrayfield it would have been dead? Surely having a situation where a try could be scored at one ground but it would be a dead ball at another is a bit odd? Obviously you have the same situation in football with different pitch sizes but the actual scoring area is uniform.

hibsbollah
08-02-2020, 04:49 PM
You just know we never ever come away with a try in these red zone (NFL talk) situations. Just kick the points.

Mr Grieves
08-02-2020, 04:54 PM
Ha ha, this is comically bad

hibsbollah
08-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Why do rugby players never wear gloves?

Mr Grieves
08-02-2020, 05:09 PM
England ****ing up every kick, Scotland ****ing up every resulting lineout

Pretty Boy
08-02-2020, 05:14 PM
That penalty just sums up how farcical the conditions are.

Mr Grieves
08-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Hogg is a lucky boy there

Vault Boy
08-02-2020, 05:22 PM
That's that I'd imagine!

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Not a massive rugby fan but enjoy watching the six nations, this has to be the worst game of rugby for errors I have ever watched.

Golden Bear
08-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Game over. Yet another inglorious defeat.

Aldo
08-02-2020, 05:34 PM
The lack of quality and the inability to finish moves off cost us once again.

We have regressed since Townsend took over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Jimmy
08-02-2020, 06:13 PM
The lack of quality and the inability to finish moves off cost us once again.

We have regressed since Townsend took over!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAs I said about 2 years ago. He's a fraud.

Aldo
08-02-2020, 06:17 PM
As I said about 2 years ago. He's a fraud.

Undone all the good work and foundations laid by Vern Cotter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sylar
08-02-2020, 08:19 PM
That's enough - get Townsend to ****. He can't make changes when they need to be changed, he can't pick a team to suit the conditions (McInally should have started IMO), and the amount of errors the players make week in, week out without punishment, is unreal.

Drop Hogg against Italy while we're at it. His mistakes are unforgivable - two horrendous handling errors with no pressure in either situation.

We didn't even LOOK like threatening a try today. Shocking rugby.

McD
08-02-2020, 08:43 PM
Game has been a bit of a face really, averaging a kick almost once every minute.

Also, and apologies if the answer is obvious, why is there not standard pitch dimensions in rugby? There was an incident in the 1st half when Hogg kicked the ball long and the commentator said if it wasn't for the huge in goal areas at Murrayfield it would have been dead? Surely having a situation where a try could be scored at one ground but it would be a dead ball at another is a bit odd? Obviously you have the same situation in football with different pitch sizes but the actual scoring area is uniform.

With the exception of the in goal areas, all rugby pitches are identically sized (a bit of an oxymoron I know :greengrin).

The answer to your question is essentially available space - most club pitches have stands much closer to the ends of the pitch and don’t have the space for as large an in goal area. Most international grounds have an extra metre or 2 in depth.

in theory it would be slightly harder to defend and slightly easier to score due to larger area to cover, but in reality it barely makes a difference as the vast majority of tries are scored within the first metre of the in goal area. The only scenario where it could possibly make a difference is what happened in the incident you pointed out PB, had an England player outrun Hogg to the ball then they could have possibly scored a try as it hadn't gone out of play. That is incredibly rare due to the nature of the offside law in rugby and the positioning of the defending players, particularly the full back.

that all said, I agree, there should be a uniform dimension for the in goal area (there may actually be this in the tournament regulations for all I know :greengrin)

Just_Jimmy
08-02-2020, 09:31 PM
That's enough - get Townsend to ****. He can't make changes when they need to be changed, he can't pick a team to suit the conditions (McInally should have started IMO), and the amount of errors the players make week in, week out without punishment, is unreal.

Drop Hogg against Italy while we're at it. His mistakes are unforgivable - two horrendous handling errors with no pressure in either situation.

We didn't even LOOK like threatening a try today. Shocking rugby.You and I have perhaps been his most vocal critics. Me perhaps a bit more loudly initially.

Glad to agree. Your post is spot on.

hfc rd
08-02-2020, 11:27 PM
Same old story yet again.

Fair enough the conditions were dreadful but have you ever seen a tier 1 nation make the same old countless errors like we do?

Also not sure what has happened to Hogg? The last couple of games now, he’s been extremely poor. Not long ago, he was one of the best fullbacks in the world and a certainty to be the Lions 1st choice before he got unfortunately injured in the training before the NZ tour.

Frazerbob
09-02-2020, 08:30 AM
Not a massive rugby fan but enjoy watching the six nations, this has to be the worst game of rugby for errors I have ever watched.

It was probably the worst conditions I’ve seen an international played in. It was bonkers. Actually enjoyed watching how the teams battled the weather as much as each other. Thought it was going to finish 3-3, which would’ve been funny when you consider the draw last year. The 2 games could not have been any more different.

Mr Grieves
09-02-2020, 10:09 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theoffsideline.com/finn-russell-breaks-silence-for-the-first-time-since-scotland-walk-out/amp/

Russell and Townsend come out of this badly.

Sylar
09-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Read the shortened version on the BBC website and it chimes with what I’d been told from a current squad member and first team regular at Edinburgh. I think it’s best for all if Townsend leaves at the end of this Six Nations campaign. So long as the SRU don’t take Cockerill to replace him, as he’s really got us playing some exceptional domestic rugby this year!

Pretty Boy
09-02-2020, 02:37 PM
Obviously that is only one side of the story but it does tie in with a few of the things people had said to me about Townsend that I mentioned earlier in the thread? Has Russell got history as a troublemaker or has he had disciplinary issues?

In saying that if he was told it was decided the players should only be having 2 beers then he should have stuck to that. Whether he had travelled a long distance, played 13 games or whatever else is largely irrelevant.

Just_Jimmy
09-02-2020, 05:56 PM
Read the shortened version on the BBC website and it chimes with what I’d been told from a current squad member and first team regular at Edinburgh. I think it’s best for all if Townsend leaves at the end of this Six Nations campaign. So long as the SRU don’t take Cockerill to replace him, as he’s really got us playing some exceptional domestic rugby this year!When he goes, hopefully yesterday, then Cockerill is the natural choice I feel.

I'm not bothered about domestic rugby compared to how I feel about Scotland. I watch Sale down here but in all honestly, I love how international rugby is still the pinicle of the game. Something lost to football years ago.

cabbageandribs1875
10-02-2020, 04:11 PM
Jonny gray out for the rest of the tournament with a hand injury, lord knows when,or even IF his brother will ever be back(injuries as well) we badly need him at lineouts, was reading at the weekend south africa are quite confident of joining the six nations in 2024,until new zealand pointed out SA are contracted to the championship until 2024,japan and even fiji want to join as well 🙄 this wouldn't be good for the likes of Argentina,if SA left they would just be challenging new zealand & Australia again, i've hoped for a few years now that Georgia should get a shot at joining the six nations, either way things WILL change with the set up,even if not until after the WC in france 2023. i just think it will get to TV saturation point....all about the money i guess.

hfc rd
10-02-2020, 04:22 PM
Jonny gray out for the rest of the tournament with a hand injury, lord knows when,or even IF his brother will ever be back(injuries as well) we badly need him at lineouts, was reading at the weekend south africa are quite confident of joining the six nations in 2024,until new zealand pointed out SA are contracted to the championship until 2024,japan and even fiji want to join as well 🙄 this wouldn't be good for the likes of Argentina,if SA left they would just be challenging new zealand & Australia again, i've hoped for a few years now that Georgia should get a shot at joining the six nations, either way things WILL change with the set up,even if not until after the WC in france 2023. i just think it will get to TV saturation point....all about the money i guess.

Are Japan in a nations championship set up or not? Crazy if they aren’t!

Golden Bear
10-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Obviously that is only one side of the story but it does tie in with a few of the things people had said to me about Townsend that I mentioned earlier in the thread? Has Russell got history as a troublemaker or has he had disciplinary issues?

In saying that if he was told it was decided the players should only be having 2 beers then he should have stuck to that. Whether he had travelled a long distance, played 13 games or whatever else is largely irrelevant.

I read an article yesterday which more or less confirms what you've said. I get the impression that Russell is not that popular with some of the members of the squad. Rules are rules and should be followed by everyone.

Toonie seems to be getting it in the neck from all and sundry but at the end of the day its been down to individual errors that have cost us dearly. Its difficult to legislate against that and it remains to be seen if for one,Hoggy retains the captaincy (and maybe even his place) for the next game in a fortnight.

JeMeSouviens
10-02-2020, 05:02 PM

His Dad had a big fall out with the SRU where he was director of domestic rugby, took them on for unfair dismissal and won. When Finn's contract with the SRU to play for Glasgow was up they said they couldn't afford to keep him, His Dad said they never even made an offer despite the SRU Chief Exec getting a doubled salary, I think it's fair to say there's a bit of bad feeling!

Jones28
11-02-2020, 12:32 PM

Nah I’m sorry but SA etc can get tae, if there’s to be another slot created it should be for the next placed European team - like Georgia. It has its novelty value because every week there’s a big game between either England and one of the home nations or France and the other three home nations, inviting another top side into things just turns it into a mini World Cup every year.

CloudSquall
11-02-2020, 07:59 PM
Would much prefer a play off between the bottom team in the 6 nations Vs the top tier 2 team in Europe than admit South Africa into the competition.

weecounty hibby
11-02-2020, 08:39 PM
Like it or not rugby is going the same way as football. Soon the six Nations will be no more. There will be a world league where the top teams will be in a top tier and then after that there will be a second tier. Likely that Scotland at some point will be relegated as we hover around about no 8 to 10 in the rankings. Sadly the six Nations will go the same way as the European cup and the FA cup. Overtaken by progress or money as most of us would call it. Already players in France and England are being played a fortune and that is why you see the top players from all over the world playing international rugby for them.
World rugby is trying to grow the game and they will see more benefits in a world league where they could get USA and Russia etc involved than keeping the six Nations alive. The USA in particular could be giants of rugby if they could only get it on TV. There are millions of kids who grew up playing American football that don't make it that could be very good rugby players.

Golden Bear
22-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Scorchio in Rome this morning, a sunny 24 degrees, it fair makes you bowk!

:greengrin

Just_Jimmy
22-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Oh look... Handing errors inside the 5 yard line undoing all the good work.

Jones28
22-02-2020, 01:28 PM
That kick...

cabbageandribs1875
22-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Bradbury knocks on 3ft from the try line,no change, 2 mins later hastings hits a quite simple penalty wide, whaes like us eh

can't blame townsend

i just cant take to price, beg laidlaw to come back out of retirement

try hogg 😀

Jones28
22-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Another try, Harris this time. Still miss the kick

hibsbollah
22-02-2020, 03:40 PM
:sauzee:

hfc rd
22-02-2020, 05:29 PM
This Wales vs France game is fantastic.

hfc rd
22-02-2020, 05:54 PM
France look on course for the grand slam now.

IWasThere2016
24-02-2020, 05:42 PM
France look on course for the grand slam now.

Hope so... would love Jones to get his P45. Cant abide the little tw@t

cabbageandribs1875
26-02-2020, 04:46 PM
Ireland v Italy called off, wonder if the Italy v england will be called off the following week

cabbageandribs1875
05-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Italy v england next weekend has been postponed

i wonder if they will just postpone the other two last weekend fixtues as well(france v ireland and wales v scotland) unless they are waiting to see how results go in this weekends two fixtures first

cabbageandribs1875
06-03-2020, 05:41 PM
Nah I’m sorry but SA etc can get tae, if there’s to be another slot created it should be for the next placed European team - like Georgia. It has its novelty value because every week there’s a big game between either England and one of the home nations or France and the other three home nations, inviting another top side into things just turns it into a mini World Cup every year.

i wouldn't mind watching games v the all blacks every year :)

but anyway, rumours are the six nations won't be accepting joint bids from ITV/BBC after 2022, instead they want to do a deal with Sky worth £300m, no idea how they will get around the governments "protected" status that ensures some sports will always be live for all to watch freely.

hfc rd
06-03-2020, 10:04 PM
i wouldn't mind watching games v the all blacks every year :)

but anyway, rumours are the six nations won't be accepting joint bids from ITV/BBC after 2022, instead they want to do a deal with Sky worth £300m, no idea how they will get around the governments "protected" status that ensures some sports will always be live for all to watch freely.

There was talk of Amazon bidding for them. Their EPL coverage was very good. Having said, I hope it stays on terrestrial tv as my concern is this may signal the start of other major events like the World Cup being moved away from terrestrial tv and into the hands of like Sky, BT, etc.

hfc rd
06-03-2020, 10:20 PM
Would much prefer a play off between the bottom team in the 6 nations Vs the top tier 2 team in Europe than admit South Africa into the competition.

I don’t want South Africa in it either. Having said that, I feel
the 6 Nations must definitely change the tournament rules because

1) Georgia deserves a fair chance.
2) The current system is now unfair (It was fine 10-20 years ago).....a relegation system would also improve the level of all games on Matchday 5.
3) A new team would make the 6 Nations much more interesting too.

Northern Hemisphere 6 Nations
England
Wales
Ireland
France
Scotland
Italy

Promotion League (Best team goes up)
Georgia
Spain
Romania
Portugal
Netherlands
Russia

The Southern Hemisphere should have their own "6 Nations" tournament too! Teams like Japan showed at the World Cup last autumn that they are capable of competing against the tier 1 nations and should be playing in a major championship.

Southern Hemisphere 6 Nations
New Zealand
Australia
South Africa
Argentina
Japan
Fiji

Promotion League (Best team goes up)
Tonga
Samoa
USA
Uruguay
Canada
Namibia

hibsbollah
07-03-2020, 05:33 PM
Some brutal hits in this game. It's like American football without the protection. Wales bullied by England.

cabbageandribs1875
08-03-2020, 02:33 PM
this is a seriously dire game of rugby, i've never heard a 70k crowd so quiet

meanwhile we settle down for the 28th scrum

i think the french will eventually get a grip of the game

cabbageandribs1875
08-03-2020, 02:54 PM
ta ta number 3, deserved red card.... le thug

this is better 14-7 HT le good guys

dear murrayfield can you please get shot of the female that likes screaming in that mic

Pretty Boy
08-03-2020, 03:00 PM
France do love a loss of discipline when it matters.

CloudSquall
08-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Shirley not even Scotland can f this up...

cabbageandribs1875
08-03-2020, 03:23 PM
same old scotland mucking up in the rucks

whaes like us

cabbageandribs1875
08-03-2020, 03:32 PM
lol@ our lineouts, baffling why

then a try from another dreadfull lineout 😀

28-10

cabbageandribs1875
08-03-2020, 03:47 PM
Great french try

Sylar
08-03-2020, 05:47 PM
I thought we played really well today. Contained them early on and managed to capitalise with Hastings' kicking, and with their loss of discipline, we really stepped up and capitalised. I thought Jamie Ritchie was sensational today, as was Gilchrist. At times today, we genuinely looked a few players short of a competitive side (though I accept it's hard to judge against 14 men). If we can get Russell back into that lineup (though Hastings was also great today), and a fit and healthy Darcy Graham, we'd pose genuine threat again.

I don't see us winning in Wales next week, but I didn't give us a prayer today either. When the summer rolls around and some new players become eligible for selection, I hope Townsend jumps at the chance to include them. I'm particularly thinking about Duhan van der Merwe, who's been incredible for Edinburgh the past 2 or 3 years and doesn't look like receiving a call-up from the Boks.

nellio
08-03-2020, 07:33 PM
I thought we played really well today. Contained them early on and managed to capitalise with Hastings' kicking, and with their loss of discipline, we really stepped up and capitalised. I thought Jamie Ritchie was sensational today, as was Gilchrist. At times today, we genuinely looked a few players short of a competitive side (though I accept it's hard to judge against 14 men). If we can get Russell back into that lineup (though Hastings was also great today), and a fit and healthy Darcy Graham, we'd pose genuine threat again.

I don't see us winning in Wales next week, but I didn't give us a prayer today either. When the summer rolls around and some new players become eligible for selection, I hope Townsend jumps at the chance to include them. I'm particularly thinking about Duhan van der Merwe, who's been incredible for Edinburgh the past 2 or 3 years and doesn't look like receiving a call-up from the Boks.

Duhan is incredible and be a real asset for Scotland. Do the boks have some rule in place like NZ where you can't get called up if you are playing outside nz? Australia has it as well I think.

cabbageandribs1875
09-03-2020, 02:01 PM
France v Ireland postponed

so, only wales v scotland going ahead, at the moment anyway

HibernianJK
10-03-2020, 08:14 AM
Duhan is incredible and be a real asset for Scotland. Do the boks have some rule in place like NZ where you can't get called up if you are playing outside nz? Australia has it as well I think.

I’m they changed that rule slightly so that people with a certain amount of caps or maybe who played a certain amount of years in Super Rugby would be eligible.

Not exactly sure of the rule.

hfc rd
13-03-2020, 11:23 AM
I’m surprised our game against Wales is still going ahead

Hibee87
13-03-2020, 12:36 PM
I’m surprised our game against Wales is still going ahead

I'm baffled by the decision. How many does the millennium stadium hold? It will be full to capacity and Cardiff itself heaving. Really really odd

hfc rd
13-03-2020, 12:46 PM
I'm baffled by the decision. How many does the millennium stadium hold? It will be full to capacity and Cardiff itself heaving. Really really odd

Capacity is about 74K

grunt
13-03-2020, 01:07 PM
It's off

Golden Bear
13-03-2020, 01:28 PM
It's off

Nae rugby, nae fitba, nae golf , I can feel a personal crisis coming on.

:grr:

Sylar
13-03-2020, 08:13 PM
Nae rugby, nae fitba, nae golf , I can feel a personal crisis coming on.

:grr:

You can understand why Pornhub are kind enough to be offering free Premium Services to folks in Italy for the past few weeks :greengrin