PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee Utd 19 01 20)

Jonnyboy
19-01-2020, 08:31 PM
I’m having déjà vu moment here. I’m pretty sure Hibs have drawn 2 – 2 away to a Robbie Neilson side before and that after that game, Neilson announced his side would win in the replay. We’ll see, Robbie we’ll see.

As to today’s game I have to say that for the most part we were the better side and only have ourselves to blame for having to do it all again. United, I believe, had two shots on target and scored from them both whilst we had lots of decent chances to put the game to bed. Granted, a few of our chances were thwarted by good goalkeeping but on other occasions it was down to poor final efforts or bad decision making.

There was a starting place in midfield for Steven Whittaker which I confess came as a surprise to me whilst Jack Ross had Doidge up top with Kamberi in a forward position on the left. Hibs were soon in to their stride and only a few minutes had passed before a clever strike from Kamberi looked netbound only for Connolly to clear off the line. Pleasingly, Hibs were on the front foot and were pretty much dominating when the opening goal came on the eighth minute mark. Boyle skipped away from a marker and played a lovely reverse pass towards the waiting Doidge who allowed the ball to run beyond him before guiding a right foot shot into the bottom corner.

Soon after, Boyle raced free and had two United defenders converging on him as he played a perfectly weighted pass to Hallberg, the midfield man having bust a gut to get forward. Unfortunately Hallberg’s effort was poor and Siegrist saved easily. The visitors came close again when a low cross into the box by Kamberi was deflected off a defender and looked as though it might sneak in at the near post before Siegrist stuck out a foot to deflect the ball wide.

The hosts hadn’t really threatened a great deal, winning a few corners that came to nothing but with the half time whistle approaching fast, Naismith went down injured and there was a break in play which may have affected the Hibs defenders’ focus. Porteous was caught square on to his man and when the ball was passed beyond him, Shankland got a lucky break as the ball bobbled beyond the outstretched leg of Lewis Stevenson allowing the striker to fire the home. It was a blow because the hosts had offered very little but still managed to go in level.

With David Gray on in place of Naismith, Hibs started the second half in the best way possible with an early second goal. Hanlon won the ball in his own box and fired a pass to Kamberi on the left. Flo went on a rampaging run deep into United territory before picking out Scott Allan who in turn played the ball in to the unmarked Boyle who sent a low raker into the corner of the net from around 25 yards. I heard Robbie Neilson say after the game that his side had conceded two soft goals due to daft errors and whilst I agree that many goals are lost that way, this one wasn’t. It came due to intelligent play at pace and had nothing to do with poor defending.

Very soon thereafter Ryan Porteous picked up an injury and had to be replaced; McGregor joining the fray. I’m worried for Ryan that it is a recurrence of the knee problem that kept him out for so long. Hibs had now replaced two of the back four and the familiar quartet of Gray, McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson was back in play.

The hosts were just about doing enough to stay in the game but their keeper was a busy man, saving from a Doidge header and a Kamberi thunderbolt before Scott Allan should have done much better with a left foot effort he scooped high and wide.

A one goal lead is always precarious and so it proved to be when substitute Appere skipped away from a couple of challenges before sending a swerving and low shot into the far corner off a post. It was a soft goal to concede and it could be argued the defenders should have closed the lad down but I have to say that I felt Rocky should have saved it as he was slow in going down. Minutes later, Appere tried the same shot again but this time it flew wide.

With time ticking down, Hibs to their credit pressed for a winner and a couple of half chances fell to Boyle and Allan. I thought we’d clinched it when a lovely deep cross from Boyle found Doidge who chested the ball down but hesitated in taking the shot on, allowing Siegrist to come out and block at the expense of a corner. One final chance fell to the head of Doidge but Siegrist saved easily and both sets of players now have a replay to look forward to.

The players

Marciano – I have to say that his distribution from hand is much improved but I can’t get rid of the feeling that he should have saved that second goal. Maybe I’m doing him an injustice but I’ve not seen it again yet.

Naismith – Didn’t have a lot of defending to do in the first half and got forward well enough when the opportunity arose. At first I thought his injury was his hamstring but he played out the half so that may be a wrong assumption on my part.

Porteous – Cards on the table here, I’m not sure Ryan should have been put straight back in after his suspension. I wouldn’t want him to think he’s an automatic choice despite getting red cards. As to today, he performed well enough and even found time to charge forward with the ball at his feet a couple of times.

Hanlon – I thought Paul was top notch today. Defended well, read the game well and more often than not picked out a team mate with a forward pass.

Stevenson – The wee man at his best I felt. Unlucky to get booked and if there’s a player at ER with a bigger heart I’ve not seen him play yet.

Boyle – A goal and an assist adds up to a good days work and I understand he got man of the match on the BBC player rater thingy but as good as he was he’s just missed out on my award.

Whittaker – A surprise inclusion but for me the midfield looked a lot stronger and less exposed than it has done in weeks. Whitty was in the thick of it from first to last and although I’m pretty sure folk will disagree I choose him as my man of the match.

Hallberg – Melker should have scored from the Boyle set up but that apart I felt he formed a good shield with Whittaker. His stamina is impressive and his work rate equally so.

Allan – I am a huge fan of Scotty but I felt he was poor today, losing possession and wayward with his passing. Good set up for Boyle’s goal but we need and expect much more from him.

Kamberi – It probably wasn’t obvious if you watched the game on TV but his movement off the ball at times was highly impressive. Flo was unlucky a couple of times and his late thunderbolt would have beaten most keepers.

Doidge – The big man took his goal cleanly and well, working the line to good effect and I’d wager the United central defenders will sleep well tonight.

Gray – David looked ring rusty at times but it was great to see him back in action and the 45 minutes he got will stand him in good stead.

McGregor – Excellent from Daz who never looks flustered and apparently never gives the ball away!

Jack Ross – I heard his post match interview and pretty much agreed with all he said. What did worry me was that he seemed to indicate the injuries to Naismith and Porteous were “not good.”

The fans – A fabulous turnout and a good backing for the team but boy, what a death trap that stand is.

The referee – Another appalling performance and it’s no surprise that both sets of fans were booing him. He should change his name to Kevin Clowncy – childish of me I know but dot net would bar me if I said what I’d really like to call him.

Iggy Pope
19-01-2020, 08:37 PM
Agree fully with the MoM. Didn’t do well at the 2nd goal but did everything else in the game well.

Pretty Boy
19-01-2020, 08:50 PM
Allan just needs to keep it simple sometimes. We all know he can do something special, it doesn't have to be every time.

Having seen the 2nd goal again I agree about Rocky. It's a million miles away from a howler but he'll be a wee bit disappointed imo.

hibsbollah
19-01-2020, 08:53 PM
Allan just needs to keep it simple sometimes. We all know he can do something special, it doesn't have to be every time.

Having seen the 2nd goal again I agree about Rocky. It's a million miles away from a howler but he'll be a wee bit disappointed imo.

I haven't seen it again but at first viewing he needs to be conscious of his near post, the natural angle is for the striker to shoot across his body so he is taken by surprise at where the shot went; he moved fast enough but in off the post. Don't understand the criticism. Credit the strike.

B.H.F.C
19-01-2020, 08:55 PM
I haven't seen it again but at first viewing he needs to be conscious of his near post, the natural angle is for the striker to shoot across his body so he is taken by surprise at where the shot went; he moved fast enough but in off the post. Don't understand the criticism. Credit the strike.

I thought the opposite. The only place it could go was where it did go.

Was right behind it and thought he looked slow but not seen it back.

Lancs Harp
19-01-2020, 08:56 PM
I thought Allan ran the show for an hour, then faded.

Lets face it we should have put this one to bed by half time. By and large thought we played well today, diappointing we couldnt see it through though.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2020, 08:57 PM

Hanlon blocked his view, but thought Rocky was slow to react

Hiber-nation
19-01-2020, 08:59 PM

Lets face it we should have put this one to bed by half time. By and large thought we played well today, diappointing we couldnt see it through though.

I thought he was awful for all bar the first 15 mins or so. His form is a worry.

Stuart93
19-01-2020, 09:00 PM

Must’ve been watching a different game

Allan was very poor today for the majority. The amount of times he gave it away was asking for trouble.

green with envy
19-01-2020, 09:13 PM
Must’ve been watching a different game

Allan was very poor today for the majority. The amount of times he gave it away was asking for trouble.

Have to agree with that
Not his finest day in a Hibs top. He'll come good again though.

Pretty Boy
19-01-2020, 09:19 PM
I think Allan is struggling a bit because he is being asked to be a bit more disciplined and do some of the dirty work. He can't just be the maverick playmaker so when he gets the opportunity he's trying to force it. Omeonga may help with that.

I was sat right by the Hibs dugout today and Ross and Potter were on at Allan and Kamberi all game. There was a point in the 1st half where Allan ran to close down their CB, Potter and Ross shouted to him, he turned to look at them and they screamed at him to.......go and close down the CB. A guy behind me shouted 'he would have ****ing been there if he didn't turn to listen you'. Potter did acknowledge the shout and laughed.

My point is in a really good midfield you don't notice the flaws in Allan's game in the same way you do when we are toiling a bit in there.

BILLYHIBS
19-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy spot on!

Keep saying it Rocky throws one in every game time to give Bogdan a chance

brog
19-01-2020, 09:28 PM
Excellent as ever John. I'm pretty sure however that the pass of the match (for me) setting Doidge free at the end, came from Paul Hanlon.

Jonnyboy
19-01-2020, 09:28 PM
Excellent as ever John. I'm pretty sure however that the pass of the match (for me) setting Doidge free at the end, came from Paul Hanlon.

You're right, B :agree:

tonyrougier123
19-01-2020, 09:31 PM
I think Allan is struggling a bit because he is being asked to be a bit more disciplined and do some of the dirty work. He can't just be the maverick playmaker so when he gets the opportunity he's trying to force it. Omeonga may help with that.

I was sat right by the Hibs dugout today and Ross and Potter were on at Allan and Kamberi all game. There was a point in the 1st half where Allan ran to close down their CB, Potter and Ross shouted to him, he turned to look at them and they screamed at him to.......go and close down the CB. A guy behind me shouted 'he would have ****ing been there if he didn't turn to listen you'. Potter did acknowledge the shout and laughed.

My point is in a really good midfield you don't notice the flaws in Allan's game in the same way you do when we are toiling a bit in there.

Allan was the weak link today by a country mile,lets call it a bad day at the office for him.
He had plenty opportunities to do something with the ball but failed to impact the game.
Worst I've seen him play.
I thought the rest of the midfield played well.
As you say omeonga with hallberg should make life easier for him,but today was a bad yin from him.
My concern the now is defence with the injuries,just wen we plug one hole another pops up!!

LaMotta
19-01-2020, 09:31 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy spot on!

Keep saying it Rocky throws one in every game time to give Bogdan a chance

You keep saying it Billy but that doesnt make it true:wink:

davym7062
19-01-2020, 09:33 PM
delighted to see u gave MOM to whitts thought he was outstanding

Alfred E Newman
19-01-2020, 09:34 PM
Coming out of the game I was disappointed at failing to hold on to a lead once again and was relieved we didn't concede another late on. After watching the highlights I was surprised how good we looked at times. We just lack that bit leadership and drive in the middle of the park.

Lago
19-01-2020, 09:34 PM
He did get caught out, slow getting down.

BILLYHIBS
19-01-2020, 09:37 PM
You keep saying it Billy but that doesnt make it true:wink:
It is

Hibs v The Rangers

Livvi v HIBS

Since we last spoke

vuefrom1875
19-01-2020, 09:38 PM
delighted to see u gave MOM to whitts thought he was outstanding

Correct....and we'll horse them in the reply.

Deansy
19-01-2020, 09:49 PM
Marciano - 'Maybe I’m doing him an injustice ………………..' - don't think so, I have watched it again and haven't changed my mind from my initial thought - I could've got down faster than he did today !.

Jones28
19-01-2020, 09:57 PM
I thought Whittaker played well, he came away with the ball after a 1v1 numerous times and was composed and tidy. I wonder if this is Ross displaying what is to come re formations?

Kamberi was terrific today, he was so tidy and sharp on the ball. Some great efforts at goal too.

Boyle gets better every time he plays at the moment.

Allan had an off day, but still played a part in both goals. He was being hassled and harried constantly, he will be black and blue tomorrow. There were a couple of times in the second half were gray was bombing down the right but he kept chopping back infield and gave away possession to try and force something.

All in all, we should’ve won, so no change from the majority of the season really. We went to a team high on confidence, with a talismanic goal scorer and made them look bang average, bottom six fodder for swathes of the game. Money spinning replay at Easter road? Well, we all know what happened last time..

Jonnyboy
19-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Marciano - '
Maybe I’m doing him an injustice ………………..' - don't think so, I have watched it again and haven't changed my mind from my initial thought - I could've got down faster than he did today !.

I've seen it again now and I remain of the view that he should have saved it :aok:

Tug Wilson
19-01-2020, 10:09 PM
Happy to see that you have given Whittaker MotM. Others seem to disagree. He made numerous strong tackles. Positioned himself well and often broke up United's play.

Not a long term answer at DM and I still think we need someone in there this window.

Shrekko
19-01-2020, 10:19 PM

It’s a good strike but you’ll understand what people are saying once you have seen it again. Weirdly seems to get down quick enough but his arms just aren’t extended like they should be. I was shocked at the time from my angle at the game and I think it looks even worse on tv.

Stuart93
19-01-2020, 10:21 PM
It’s a good strike but you’ll understand what people are saying once you have seen it again. Weirdly seems to get down quick enough but his arms just aren’t extended like they should be. I was shocked at the time from my angle at the game and I think it looks even!worse on tv.

Yep, it’s like he pulls his hands away from it, as if he thinks it’s going by the post

Stuart93
19-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Reflecting back on the game I’m quite disappointed we never won it.

Dundee Utd were nowhere near as good as I thought they were going to be or as good as we’ve been led to believe

I think we’ll take care of them at ER

Shrekko
19-01-2020, 10:24 PM
Yep, it’s like he pulls his hands away from it, as if he thinks it’s going by the post

That’s my only explanation for it too as you see goalies doing that ... they cover what they think they need to on the assumption that if it goes past them it’s wide. Something far wrong with what he did no matter what. Really cheap goal all round.

we are hibs
19-01-2020, 10:30 PM
Thought Allan tried to over complicate it too much today. Trying to turn and get away when he should just play the way hes facing at times. Sometimes he just needs to pass the ball. He cant do it all on his own. The amount of times we heard how allan will bring out the best in others, i think Omeonga will bring out the best in Allan. He needs legs around him. He currently only has Hallberg who could be described as mobile first half of the season.

Deansy
19-01-2020, 10:42 PM
Thought Allan tried to over complicate it too much today. Trying to turn and get away when he should just play the way hes facing at times. Sometimes he just needs to pass the ball. He cant do it all on his own. The amount of times we heard how allan will bring out the best in others, i think Omeonga will bring out the best in Allan. He needs legs around him. He currently only has Hallberg who could be described as mobile first half of the season.

I think that too, I'm dying to see those 2 play together ! At the time I remember lamenting to a mate that it was typical of Hibs luck that Scott Allan was returning to us just at the same time Omeonga was leaving - I hope and believe those 2 are going to have a brilliant partnership !

Shrekko
19-01-2020, 10:51 PM

How come with crowd favourites like Allan and Kamberi it’s always cause there’s something around them that isn’t right when they have stinkers? Is Scotty not part of the ‘not really good midfield’?

He had plenty of clear opportunities to influence the game and he just wasn’t able to - nothing to do with having to play with more discipline. Let’s be honest , he gets asked to do very little but try and create. The modern game does need every player pulling their weight though.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 11:50 PM
Dundee United scored from their only chances
Goal 1 - Porteous instead of staying in the back 4 was drawn out towards the ball which left a gap in the back 4 which Shankland ran into. Porteous error.
Goal 2 - Gray instead of kicking the ball into touch tried to play it up the line when unsighted and unbalanced. As a result the ball landed at a Utd players foot who passed it forward to Appre. Instead of getting goalside Whittaker dived in front of the Utd player to attempt to intercept the ball but misjudged it and was left for dead by Appre who bent the ball into the far corner of the net of the post. Basic errors by Gray & Whittaker

Stevenson and Hanlon played well at the back all afternoon.

The 3 forwards played very well and gave the Utd defenders a torrid time

The midfield desperately needs more legs in it which Slivka and Omeonga can provide.
Hallberg was all in after 85 minutes.
Allan was poor given the amount of ball he had. Needs to keep it simpler a lot of the time.

Dundee Utd were poor other than their goalkeeper who is a very useful big guy, and Shankland who had one chance, came to life and scored it. He did literally nothing else. Appre did well when he came on for the ex Aberdeen guy who was very poor in his 1st game since October. Hibs should win the replay with ease.

Worst thing about today was the injuries to Porteous and Naismith. Both looked like knee injuries. Fingers crossed, especially for Ryan.

NAE NOOKIE
20-01-2020, 01:33 AM
Decent summing up. We really must find a way to keep up the tempo and bury teams when we have the upper hand, but there were plenty of positives today and for anybody who was at Livingston I'm sure they will agree that performance was far far better.

Rocky .... 6 .... Had little to do in truth. I'm not sure even after watching it about 5 times if he could have saved the second or not, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt coz it seems every time one of our keepers makes a mistake we want him replaced.

Naismith ... 6 ... Did ok defensively until he went off, his crossing was a bit off at times.

Porteous ... 6 .... I thought he was doing fine until he got injured. Much as I don't want to I agree with Billy Dodds on the telly who said that sometimes Ryan opens himself to injury because he 'likes to leave a bit on his opponent whenever he makes a tackle' which is probably true. I really worry for Ryan, he clearly has fantastic potential and I would hate to see his career curtailed by injury. If this is a recurring problem I hope Hibs go looking for the best treatment out there for him, be that in Europe or America.

Hanlon ... 7 ... He played a good game today and made a couple of timely interventions in our box.

Stevenson ... 7 .... I thought Lewis was his usual solid self, he was a bit unfortunate at Shankland's goal IMO getting in a tangle which I dont think he could help.

Whittaker ... 6 ... I thought he was ok, but his lack of pace is evident and he isnt clever enough to compensate for it with awareness, which was highlighted by his baffling attempt to second guess the Utd player at their second goal.

Hallberg ... 6 ... Got about the pitch well, but he's clearly a player who isn't going to be a goal threat or play a killer ball very often ... probably should have done better with his chance after an inch perfect ball from Boyle.

Allan .... 5 .... Without doubt the most talented player on that pitch today, but he tied himself in knots far too often trying to prove it. Even when a simple and effective ball was on he went searching for a more difficult route through ... more than once our momentum was lost as he held the ball too long trying to engineer an opening that was never going to happen and trying flicks and tricks when he didn't have to. I don't want him to stop trying the killer ball coz he can do it ... but he needs to play it when the opportunity arises and stop trying to actively go looking for it.

Doige ... 6 ... Took his goal very well with a nice run and finish, but that aside he didn't get too involved and missed one header he should have done better with.

Boyle .... 9 .... Looked dangerous every time he got the ball, played a brilliant pass to Hallberg and a few other very good balls, not to mention scoring a beauty himself ... even when he lost the ball near the end he chased the Utd player 50 yards to try and win it back.

Kamberi ... 8 ... I thought he was excellent, he made a number of very good runs, had one cleared off the line and forced the Utd keeper into two pretty decent saves. The only criticism I have is when he played the ball into Allan at the edge of their box with two Utd players right on top of him, leading to Allan rushing his shot way over the bar. David Gray had made a super overlapping run and if Flo had passed to him instead he would have been right in on goal.

Subs;

Gray ... 5 .... Did fine, but it was clear to see he was a bit rusty ... the aforementioned overlapping run was excellent and Flo really should have passed to him.

McGregor ... 6 ... Didn't do a lot wrong, but when does Daz ever fail to put in a good shift.

TimeForHeroes16
20-01-2020, 02:53 AM

Allan was our worst performer yesterday, no doubt he’ll be back to his best on Wednesday tho

Alfred E Newman
20-01-2020, 06:51 AM
Allan was our worst performer yesterday, no doubt he’ll be back to his best on Wednesday tho
He was on the receiving end of some pretty course tackles yesterday early on which didn't help. Obviously Neilston taking a leaf out of his old masters book!

brog
20-01-2020, 06:58 AM

Thats it for me. His body language is also telling.

HFC 0-7
20-01-2020, 07:05 AM
Weird how views differ! I thought Whittaker, although played pretty well, is just past it. He seems to get turned easy and then caught on his heels. He just doesn’t have the burst to catch up with the man again.

Hallberg, I thought looked tired early in the game. A few times not tracking and if he got beat by a man didn’t try and recover and leaving it to someone else. Opinions!

BILLYHIBS
20-01-2020, 07:07 AM
Thats it for me. His body language is also telling.

Gets his angles all wrong needs to readjust his feet quicker and anticipate the shot to the far post

Is slow in going for it needs to get across quicker and dive for it sticking an arm out to tip in around the post

On the TV replay he is miles away from it and does a dive for the photographers behind the goal

In fairness it was a superb strike but as you quite rightly point out it looks as though Rocky thinks it is going past the post

AllyT
20-01-2020, 07:36 AM

This! You can see his reaction when it goes in, like he's really surprised.

BILLYHIBS
20-01-2020, 07:50 AM
Decent summing up. We really must find a way to keep up the tempo and bury teams when we have the upper hand, but there were plenty of positives today and for anybody who was at Livingston I'm sure they will agree that performance was far far better.

Rocky .... 6 .... Had little to do in truth. I'm not sure even after watching it about 5 times if he could have saved the second or not, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt coz it seems every time one of our keepers makes a mistake we want him replaced.

Naismith ... 6 ... Did ok defensively until he went off, his crossing was a bit off at times.

Porteous ... 6 .... I thought he was doing fine until he got injured. Much as I don't want to I agree with Billy Dodds on the telly who said that sometimes Ryan opens himself to injury because he 'likes to leave a bit on his opponent whenever he makes a tackle' which is probably true. I really worry for Ryan, he clearly has fantastic potential and I would hate to see his career curtailed by injury. If this is a recurring problem I hope Hibs go looking for the best treatment out there for him, be that in Europe or America.

Hanlon ... 7 ... He played a good game today and made a couple of timely interventions in our box.

Stevenson ... 7 .... I thought Lewis was his usual solid self, he was a bit unfortunate at Shankland's goal IMO getting in a tangle which I dont think he could help.

Whittaker ... 6 ... I thought he was ok, but his lack of pace is evident and he isnt clever enough to compensate for it with awareness, which was highlighted by his baffling attempt to second guess the Utd player at their second goal.

Hallberg ... 6 ... Got about the pitch well, but he's clearly a player who isn't going to be a goal threat or play a killer ball very often ... probably should have done better with his chance after an inch perfect ball from Boyle.

Allan .... 5 .... Without doubt the most talented player on that pitch today, but he tied himself in knots far too often trying to prove it. Even when a simple and effective ball was on he went searching for a more difficult route through ... more than once our momentum was lost as he held the ball too long trying to engineer an opening that was never going to happen and trying flicks and tricks when he didn't have to. I don't want him to stop trying the killer ball coz he can do it ... but he needs to play it when the opportunity arises and stop trying to actively go looking for it.

Doige ... 6 ... Took his goal very well with a nice run and finish, but that aside he didn't get too involved and missed one header he should have done better with.

Boyle .... 9 .... Looked dangerous every time he got the ball, played a brilliant pass to Hallberg and a few other very good balls, not to mention scoring a beauty himself ... even when he lost the ball near the end he chased the Utd player 50 yards to try and win it back.

Kamberi ... 8 ... I thought he was excellent, he made a number of very good runs, had one cleared off the line and forced the Utd keeper into two pretty decent saves. The only criticism I have is when he played the ball into Allan at the edge of their box with two Utd players right on top of him, leading to Allan rushing his shot way over the bar. David Gray had made a super overlapping run and if Flo had passed to him instead he would have been right in on goal.

Subs;

Gray ... 5 .... Did fine, but it was clear to see he was a bit rusty ... the aforementioned overlapping run was excellent and Flo really should have passed to him.

McGregor ... 6 ... Didn't do a lot wrong, but when does Daz ever fail to put in a good shift.

Would not be surprised if the rumours are true and that clubs are sniffing around Boyle

expresso
20-01-2020, 07:50 AM
]Dundee United scored from their only chances[/B]
Goal 1 - Porteous instead of staying in the back 4 was drawn out towards the ball which left a gap in the back 4 which Shankland ran into. Porteous error.
Goal 2 - Gray instead of kicking the ball into touch tried to play it up the line when unsighted and unbalanced. As a result the ball landed at a Utd players foot who passed it forward to Appre. Instead of getting goalside Whittaker dived in front of the Utd player to attempt to intercept the ball but misjudged it and was left for dead by Appre who bent the ball into the far corner of the net of the post. Basic errors by Gray & Whittaker

Stevenson and Hanlon played well at the back all afternoon.

The 3 forwards played very well and gave the Utd defenders a torrid time

The midfield desperately needs more legs in it which Slivka and Omeonga can provide.
Hallberg was all in after 85 minutes.
Allan was poor given the amount of ball he had. Needs to keep it simpler a lot of the time.

Dundee Utd were poor other than their goalkeeper who is a very useful big guy, and Shankland who had one chance, came to life and scored it. He did literally nothing else. Appre did well when he came on for the ex Aberdeen guy who was very poor in his 1st game since October. Hibs should win the replay with ease.

Worst thing about today was the injuries to Porteous and Naismith. Both looked like knee injuries. Fingers crossed, especially for Ryan.

This has become such an alarming feature in recent seasons opponents goals to chance ratio seems to be ridiculously high

hibsbollah
20-01-2020, 08:10 AM
It’s a good strike but you’ll understand what people are saying once you have seen it again. Weirdly seems to get down quick enough but his arms just aren’t extended like they should be. I was shocked at the time from my angle at the game and I think it looks even worse on tv.

Hmmm, well after watching it again, i agree he could have swiped an arm at the end of his dive, which would have made it a great save, but I wouldn't call it a howler or an error, he could have done a bit better. I'd instead be calling out the careless control and sclaffed clearance by Gray and the bizarre decision by Whittaker to wander off to the shops instead of staying on his man.

jacomo
20-01-2020, 08:15 AM
Thanks JB.

Appere’s goal was a very well placed shot... arguably we should have done better but I don’t want to heap too much blame on our players.

My bigger concern is an inability to make more of the chances that came our way. We still lack balance in midfield. Whittaker did ok but relying on a 34 year old fullback as our best option in midfield is not ok, and a damning indictment of our summer transfer business.

Omeonga will help us once up to speed.

I’m sure Neilson will be delighted with his money-spinning replay...

Peevemor
20-01-2020, 08:16 AM

It looked like a comedy dive to me, ie. the sort of thing you did when you were forced to play rugby at school and you dived to score a try even though there was nobody within 25 yards of you.

HFC 0-7
20-01-2020, 08:21 AM
It looked like a comedy dive to me, ie. the sort of thing you did when you were forced to play rugby at school and you dived to score a try even though there was nobody within 25 yards of you.

I immediately thought the same, as if he pulls his arm away, but when you see it from a different angle you can see that he is going for it and his left arm is fully stretched

hibsbollah
20-01-2020, 08:57 AM
I immediately thought the same, as if he pulls his arm away, but when you see it from a different angle you can see that he is going for it and his left arm is fully stretched

And he missed it. Because the shot was so accurate it went in off the post. But he's not as culpable as Gray or especially Whittaker in that situation, we need to give the same forensic analysis to other players as we do to the poor keepers:greengrin

Since452
20-01-2020, 08:59 AM
It was a sublime finish from the United boy to be fair. I'm very critical of Marciano but he was just beaten by a good strike imo. Annoyed me more that he was allowed to get the shot away

Smartie
20-01-2020, 09:05 AM
It was a sublime finish from the United boy to be fair. I'm very critical of Marciano but he was just beaten by a good strike imo. Annoyed me more that he was allowed to get the shot away

That’s how I saw it. Good strike, went in the one spot the keeper was never going to get to, we could have done more to stop the shot.

At first glance it doesn’t look great from the keeper but I’m not sure he could have done more.

500miles
20-01-2020, 09:26 AM
That’s how I saw it. Good strike, went in the one spot the keeper was never going to get to, we could have done more to stop the shot.

At first glance it doesn’t look great from the keeper but I’m not sure he could have done more.

Marciano was definitely slow going down, think he expected it to go wide. He should have kept it covered even then, so it was poor mistake. He's made a few bad errors this season. I'd drop him again.

I'd be tempted to play Horgan at the tip of the diamond next time too, he's better at running at players than Allan, and I think that would cause the United defense more problems than finding passes in behind.

Shrekko
20-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Hmmm, well after watching it again, i agree he could have swiped an arm at the end of his dive, which would have made it a great save, but I wouldn't call it a howler or an error, he could have done a bit better. I'd instead be calling out the careless control and sclaffed clearance by Gray and the bizarre decision by Whittaker to wander off to the shops instead of staying on his man.

Yeah it was a bit of a comedy defensively but ultimately a goalies job is to ‘save’ and I really feel it’s a really strange one from him. He’s renowned as a shot stopper more than anything else after all.

hibsbollah
20-01-2020, 09:39 AM

Yes. The point is, Gray dropped his toast butter side down and Whittaker disappeared off to the shops for a pint of milk. Rocky didn't do either of these things.

hibsbollah
20-01-2020, 09:45 AM
Yeah it was a bit of a comedy defensively but ultimately a goalies job is to ‘save’ and I really feel it’s a really strange one from him. He’s renowned as a shot stopper more than anything else after all.

Sure, I get your point that it's not exactly going to stop the clamour for Bogdan to get the gloves, him not making thatsave. It's just not a Peter Enckleman moment either.

jgl07
20-01-2020, 09:47 AM
Thanks JB.

Appere’s goal was a very well placed shot... arguably we should have done better but I don’t want to heap too much blame on our players.

My bigger concern is an inability to make more of the chances that came our way. We still lack balance in midfield. Whittaker did ok but relying on a 34 year old fullback as our best option in midfield is not ok, and a damning indictment of our summer transfer business.
Whittaker is actually 35.

number9dream
20-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Whittaker was impressive in his first start since August but can he manage two games a week?
The report & ratings suggest everyone was top class but we couldn't beat a Championship side. Our inability to keep clean sheets is undoing good work at the other end of the pitch, although we should definitely have tucked away a few more goals. Doidge needs to be more composed for that stoppage-time chance...
Does Omeonga replace Whitts in that formation once the wee man is up to speed? Not sure he's going straight in, having hardly played this season.
Newell or Slivka for Allan might have been a shout for the final 15 mins but using up two defensive subs made a third change risky, I guess.
No Murray in the squad, despite Mallan & Omeonga being unavailable and Slivka a fitness doubt. Looks like he might need a loan move this month to get some game time.

Dundee Hibee
20-01-2020, 11:20 AM
United put out a very attacking line up 4-3-3, they haven't done that many times this season and I expect them to revert to type for the replay and flood the midfield and rely on width, the young lad Appere will start I'd imagine.

The way to beat them is to stop the wide players, 90% of their goals come from crosses.

KingPat4
20-01-2020, 11:27 AM
I thought Scotty was trying too hard yesterday, always looking for the wonder pass rather than doing the simple thing. Lost possession far too often.

WillowbraeHibby
20-01-2020, 11:57 AM
He was on the receiving end of some pretty course tackles yesterday early on which didn't help. Obviously Neilston taking a leaf out of his old masters book!

He was.. No doubt he was being given plenty of attention to keep him quiet.