PDA

View Full Version : Naismith & Porteous injuries

MacGruber
19-01-2020, 05:23 PM
Jack Ross saying he is fearing the worst and it's not looking positive. Both with previous knee injuries and going for scans Monday.

Might see us needing to sign a defender - maybe at the expense of someone we had already targetted like McNulty

Vault Boy
19-01-2020, 05:24 PM
That's gutting.

Sir David Gray
19-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Awful news.

DaveF
19-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Is the same knee with Porteous?

Crab apple
19-01-2020, 05:31 PM
Jack Ross saying he is fearing the worst and it's not looking positive. Both with previous knee injuries and going for scans Monday.

Might see us needing to sign a defender - maybe at the expense of someone we had already targetted like McNulty

That’s disappointing. And the fact we have Jackson and James who on paper should be ready replacements but clearly aren’t makes things more frustrating.

Power
19-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Hopefully not too serious.

Thankfully Gray and McGregor are now back. Versatile Whittaker can play a number of positions (strong in the tackle today) and another line or cover of James and Jackson (no chance of the latter leaving if Porteous injury is bad). I would hold nerves and if bringing in more make it higher up the pitch.

HH81
Not good news.

ancient hibee
To me Porteous gets on the wrong side of players and then dives in instead of staying on his feet.He’s just piling up the injuries and must learn.

04Sauzee
19-01-2020, 05:33 PM
It's dreadful news for them, wonder if that gives Jackson and James a chance. With neither being on the bench i thought they may be getting moved on.

we are hibs
19-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Not against Jackson potentially being given a chance but not as happy if James comes back in. Genuinely think hes a poor defender and Gray should be 1st choice now.

hibee_girl
19-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Just what we didn't need. Devastating news for them.

Diclonius
19-01-2020, 05:36 PM
That's terrible.

Unfortunately if Naismith is long term then we'll probably cancel his loan and bring in someone else.

Pretty Boy
19-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Is Ambrose still available?

That would seem to make perfect sense now if it didn't before.

Gutted for both of them.

JohnM1875
19-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Gutted for both of them. Hopefully the scan results come back and it's not as serious as first thought.

J-C
19-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Naismith was very unlucky, landed weirdly and that was that, Porteous does himself no favours at times, needs to stay on his feet more and stop jumping into challenges, hope both are not too serious.

Since452
19-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Porteous reminds me of James McPake. Throwing himself about needlessly. Glad he walked off. Makes me think it isn't too serious

allezsauzee
19-01-2020, 05:52 PM
To me Porteous gets on the wrong side of players and then dives in instead of staying on his feet.He’s just piling up the injuries and must learn.

Spot on. He has bags of potential but positional sense is a basic. Between this and being way too aggressive in the tackle at times, he's going to end up spending a lot of time injured or suspended.

Heisenberg
19-01-2020, 05:54 PM
Porteous reminds me of James McPake. Throwing himself about needlessly. Glad he walked off. Makes me think it isn't too serious

That’s what I thought today too. Often found himself out of position charging for a ball that he wasn’t winning, think it ended up costing us the first goal.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2020, 05:57 PM
We are starting to look light at the back if any of these injuries are serious
We’ve got potentially 6 games in next 3 weeks, providing we win the replay
We can’t rely on a 35 year old Whitaker and 34 year old Darren Mcgregor to play all these fixtures, much as I know they’ll give their all

Fingers crossed we get good news on Porteous and Naismith

Hibs90
19-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Hopefully not too serious.

Thankfully Gray and McGregor are now back. Versatile Whittaker can play a number of positions (strong in the tackle today) and another line or cover of James and Jackson (no chance of the latter leaving if Porteous injury is bad). I would hold nerves and if bringing in more make it higher up the pitch.

Strong in the tackle apart from their 2nd goal.

Col2
19-01-2020, 06:09 PM
JR Hibs TV interview said he was a little concerned but he didn’t strike me as suggesting it was terrible news.

As ever will need to wait and see.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Can't quite put my finger on it.
Seems impatient.
Hurt himself in the 1st half when he jumped in on top of Naysmith and a Dundee Utd player when it looked like he should have stayed out of it for another fraction of a second.
Trying to hard?
Needs to be more measured and chill a bit.
A great young player but is needlessly giving his body a tough time than is required.
Gray has a bit of that about him as well.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 06:11 PM
JR Hibs TV interview said he was a little concerned but he didn’t strike me as suggesting it was terrible news.

As ever will need to wait and see.

Good call, that sounds less serious.
Would hate Porteous to have injured himself badly again.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 06:17 PM
We can’t rely on a 35 year old Whitaker and 34 year old Darren Mcgregor to play all these fixtures, much as I know they’ll give their all

I think we have a big squad and the guys at the back are much of a muchness.
Accordingly I wouldn't be worried having Gray in instead of Naismith and McGregor in for Porteous with James and Jackson still behind the replacements.
However, the last thing we want are serious injuries so fingers crossed.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 06:20 PM

He didn't look upset when he was going round the pitch in discussion with the medical staff so hopefully just an aggravation which needs a couple of weeks to repair itself.

Ronniekirk
19-01-2020, 06:43 PM

Yep the games are coming thick and fast and both out for several weeks is crap news
Manager not founding hope-full
Last thing we needed Gray needs games to get match fit but would of preferred to ease him back and avoid him breaking down as the chances of him staying injury free till end of Season are slim based on his history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
19-01-2020, 07:01 PM
Porteous was walking quite freely at full time. No visable limp at all.

MikeyS
19-01-2020, 07:03 PM
Can't quite put my finger on it.
Seems impatient.
Hurt himself in the 1st half when he jumped in on top of Naysmith and a Dundee Utd player when it looked like he should have stayed out of it for another fraction of a second.
Trying to hard?
Needs to be more measured and chill a bit.
A great young player but is needlessly giving his body a tough time than is required.
Gray has a bit of that about him as well.

I dont think it's down to trying too hard, I personally feel he just perhaps hasn't learnt the position fully yet. He needs to quickly realise the times to attack the ball & when to drop off and assess situations. Which isn't a dig at him, you generally dont get top class CBs his age so hopefully he starts taking it on board.

I'd have hoped he would perhaps have guidance from McGregor & Hanlon but maybe it's no coincidence his best spell came when he was in alongside Ambrose.

IberianHibernian
19-01-2020, 07:11 PM
Is Canadian defender Sadiki ( ? ) not an option ? Never seen him but seems to get good writeups in Development team matches . Incidentally I see we`re due to play Arabs in Reserve League Cup tie away the day before the replay .

Unseen work
19-01-2020, 07:54 PM
I’m a big fan of Porteous but for me he needs to buck up his ideas and quick.

At times he looks brilliant, but he’s not learning from his mistakes it seems and despite being told by several managers and players he still makes the idiotic tackles like today.

How many times has he flung himself into a tackle for no real reason and came out with a red, injury or it being costly to the team?

If he’s clipped he seems to be down on the ground for an age making out he’s injured instead of getting up and getting on with the game.

The first goal today he went running out like a headless chicken and left a massive gap in behind.

He’s going from a player with massive potential to a complete liability.

steviehibsleith
19-01-2020, 08:35 PM
He is young and playing in a position where mistakes quite often end in conceding a goal.
Hope he learns but more importantly relating to the thread title really hope injury minor and not relating to previous knee dislocation injury

CraigHibee
19-01-2020, 09:02 PM
porteous was getting clattered at every opportunity today, was only a matter of time before he got injured imo

Hibby Kay-Yay
19-01-2020, 09:03 PM
Gray looks well short in terms of match fitness and sharpness. Think he’s still 3 or 4 games away from being decent. Until then we are vulnerable down our right side. I may even be tempted to play 3 at the back and could see us bringing another right sided defender in.

Billy Whizz
19-01-2020, 09:04 PM
He is young and playing in a position where mistakes quite often end in conceding a goal.
Hope he learns but more importantly relating to the thread title really hope injury minor and not relating to previous knee dislocation injury

Ryan is still 20, he’s learning all the time

hibee_girl
19-01-2020, 09:05 PM
Gray looks well short in terms of match fitness and sharpness. Think he’s still 3 or 4 games away from being decent. Until then we are vulnerable down our right side. I may even be tempted to play 3 at the back and could see us bringing another right sided defender in.

Whittaker could play at right back. Not ideal but I think we’ll need him as not sure Gray will manage 2 games a week for the next month

MikeyS
19-01-2020, 09:08 PM
porteous was getting clattered at every opportunity today, was only a matter of time before he got injured imo

He injured himself, again, hurling in to challenges that really dont merit it!

brog
19-01-2020, 09:20 PM
Is Canadian defender Sadiki ( ? ) not an option ? Never seen him but seems to get good writeups in Development team matches . Incidentally I see we`re due to play Arabs in Reserve League Cup tie away the day before the replay .

To me, both Ben Stirling & Tommy Block would be an option before Sadiki.

Hibeesmad
19-01-2020, 09:23 PM
Whittaker could play at right back. Not ideal but I think we’ll need him as not sure Gray will manage 2 games a week for the next month

Got James too.

GreenCastle
19-01-2020, 09:24 PM
Don’t understand why both both went back onto the pitch if the injuries were very serious ?

Ryan last time was MCL - hope it’s nothing like this again.

Naismith was starting to really grow on me as a player.

Hibeesmad
19-01-2020, 09:24 PM
Don’t understand why both both went back onto the pitch if the injuries were very serious ?

Ryan last time was MCL - hope it’s nothing like this again.

Naismith was starting to really grow on me as a player.

Me too, thought he was fantastic in the Derby.

hibee_girl
19-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Got James too.

True but he’s not played much either

The Wireless
19-01-2020, 11:12 PM
Both Porteous & Naismith having both suffered cruciate ligament injuries in their past could well be sidelined for a while, hopefully the scans will be positive.

Smartie
19-01-2020, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure we should be looking to bring in a 5th right back.

We're not short of options there, even if for one reason or another none are ideal right now.

Brightside
20-01-2020, 07:16 AM
James, Gray, Whitts cann all play there. Its not an issue.

Billy Whizz
20-01-2020, 07:21 AM

And Ben Stirling

Brightside
20-01-2020, 07:24 AM
And Ben Stirling

Exactly... what we still need is a proper DM.

H18 SFR
20-01-2020, 07:36 AM
Was it definitely the same knees for both?

Since452
20-01-2020, 07:47 AM
Porteous needs to start looking after his body better and realise that not every tackle needs to be a whole hearted, body on the line bone cruncher. James McPake ****ed his career because of it and can see Ryan doing the same. Hopefully the likes of Hanlon and McGregor are in his ear about it.

JimBHibees
20-01-2020, 07:52 AM

Yep it is one position we have more than enough cover.

Phil MaGlass
20-01-2020, 08:13 AM
I am also a wee bit worried at the number of games we have to play,including yesterdays,we have 6 in the space of 2 1/2 weeks. Crazy.

Keith_M
20-01-2020, 08:18 AM
I realise this won't be a popular opinion but I really hope we're not relying on Gray.

He's a hero to us all but his best days are long gone.

Greenworld
20-01-2020, 08:24 AM
I realise this won't be a popular opinion but I really hope we're not relying on Gray.

He's a hero to us all but his best days are long gone.I don't know if there long gone but way of the pace when came on I agree match fitness can take a while.
Hopefully the injuries are not to bad

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

we are hibs
20-01-2020, 08:39 AM

Hes the best of the 3 options we have there.

Smartie
20-01-2020, 08:44 AM

Gray’s been injured for half a season but there was nothing during the second half of last season that suggested he was finished (quite the opposite, our form picked up massively when he returned to the team).

He looked a bit rusty yesterday, as you’d expect after missing half a season.

I might agree with you if I saw a decline over half a dozen games.

HH81
20-01-2020, 09:03 AM
Any news on the players yet?

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 05:42 PM
Have we had an update on these injuries, yet?

04Sauzee
20-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Have we had an update on these injuries, yet?

Ross says we won't know the extent of their injuries until Tuesday morning at the earliest.

Hibbyradge
20-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Ross says we won't know the extent of their injuries until Tuesday morning at the earliest.

Thanks 👍

Billy Whizz
20-01-2020, 05:47 PM

Presume have been sent for scans, or waiting on swelling going down to assess the issue

04Sauzee
20-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Presume have been sent for scans, or waiting on swelling going down to assess the issue

Think they had the scans today Billy and just waiting on the results.

Billy Whizz
20-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Think they had the scans today Billy and just waiting on the results.

Fingers crossed for both of them

JimBHibees
21-01-2020, 06:43 AM
Fingers crossed for both of them

Hope so. Even short term would be fine as thought Jason's one looked potentially very nasty.

Baldy Foghorn
21-01-2020, 11:14 AM
Hope so. Even short term would be fine as thought Jason's one looked potentially very nasty.

I was surprised to see him stay on until halftime albeit a couple of minutes

Heisenberg
21-01-2020, 02:29 PM
Naismith is out for the season according to this journo based down south.

https://twitter.com/ptalanswann/status/1219641436674625537?s=21

Since452
21-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Naismith is out for the season according to this journo based down south.

https://twitter.com/ptalanswann/status/1219641436674625537?s=21

Gutted about that

greenlex
21-01-2020, 02:43 PM

Part of the reason we conceded the first. Far from mobile.

GloryGlory
21-01-2020, 02:51 PM
https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/jason-naismith-injury-is-bad-news-for-the-player-and-for-peterborough-united-and-hibernians-1-9208487

:grr:

Unseen work
21-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Naismith is a massive blow. Very decent player for this level imo.

Good going forward, solid defensively, good in the air and understood the club.

With Gray, James and potentially Block filling in we should be ok there. If we were looking for a new right back the Livingston right back Steve Lawson tore us a new one a couple of weeks back.

Granted it’s the first time iv seen him play there buts he’s rapid, had good delivery and got up and down the pitch easily. Out of contract this summer too.

J-C
21-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Shame but he was only an average player with a few faults, we need better if we want to improve, nice lad though and got Hibs but still would've been handy till the end if the season.

The 90+2
21-01-2020, 02:59 PM
Naismith is a massive blow. Very decent player for this level imo.

Good going forward, solid defensively, good in the air and understood the club.

With Gray, James and potentially Block filling in we should be ok there. If we were looking for a new right back the Livingston right back Steve Lawson tore us a new one a couple of weeks back.

Granted it’s the first time iv seen him play there buts he’s rapid, had good delivery and got up and down the pitch easily. Out of contract this summer too.

I disagree, we already look weak at the back and this further complicates things. A consistent fit Gray is more than adequate but James at right back over a period of time isn’t good enough. I know a defender who can play centre half and right back though....

Naismith is a blow. I hope it’s not the last we see of him.

MWHIBBIES
21-01-2020, 03:01 PM
****ing bizarre he played on. Can only have made it worse

we are hibs
21-01-2020, 03:07 PM

Lessons shouldve been learned after porteous was left on the park last season when his knee was clearly away. Only makes it worse long term and could lead to players careers being hindered in the future.

Peevemor
21-01-2020, 03:11 PM
Lessons shouldve been learned after porteous was left on the park last season when his knee was clearly away. Only makes it worse long term and could lead to players careers being hindered in the future.

This was completely different. If Naismith was 100% certain he couldn't continue he would have said. As it was he didn't seem to be in too much pain once he got up and gave himself 5 minutes to try to run it off. Any player will do the same.

Unseen work
21-01-2020, 03:13 PM
This was completely different. If Naismith was 100% certain he couldn't continue he would have said. As it was he didn't seem to be in too much pain once he got up and gave himself 5 minutes to try to run it off. Any player will do the same.

Absolutley, the staff can only go on how the player himself is feeling (within reason obviously). If it’s been a bad twist Naismith might have thought it would ease off.

Any long term injury would have been done with the twist itself though, the couple of minutes after wouldn’t have made it much term.

Since452
21-01-2020, 03:14 PM
****ing bizarre he played on. Can only have made it worse

He must have thought he was ok

Robbo6-2
21-01-2020, 03:18 PM
We have had absolutely no luck with injuries this season.

Feel for Naismith as he has played well for us.

Really hope Porto is ok and it was only precautionary

GreenCastle
21-01-2020, 03:21 PM
Like concussions the physios should do a simple running test (forwards / back wards / angled running). If the player can’t do these they should be subbed.

Said it earlier in thread - it was obvious both injuries were bad and players should have both been off straight away.

Even downsouth Rashford played with stress fracture which will have long term effects for his career.

Unseen work
21-01-2020, 03:22 PM
I disagree, we already look weak at the back and this further complicates things. A consistent fit Gray is more than adequate but James at right back over a period of time isn’t good enough. I know a defender who can play centre half and right back though....

Naismith is a blow. I hope it’s not the last we see of him.

I agree that defence hasn’t looked great this season but imo it’s been more centrally or down Stevenson’s side we’ve looked poor.

Portoeus, for Having a lot of potential has been poor and at times a liability this season. He has some brilliant performances or moments dint get me wrong, but he still has a hell of a lot to learn and really has to start learning from his mistakes.

Billy Whizz
21-01-2020, 03:22 PM
We have had absolutely no luck with injuries this season.

Feel for Naismith as he has played well for us.

Really hope Porto is ok and it was only precautionary

Shame for Jason, was loving it at Hibs, and gave us a good shift

Yet another long term injury in the squad, to add to Gray, Boyle, McGregor, and all out of the back 4
Plus the recent one with Mallon
Just have to hope Ryan’s is not too serious

BILLYHIBS
21-01-2020, 03:37 PM
Shame for Naismith

Started off ring rusty but unlike Heckys other signings improved the more he played a decent attacking threat plenty of energy and decent in the air

My abiding memory is one poster saying on one of Jonnyboys This is how it feels threads: “ Naismith runs like the Mummy and tackles like the Mummy” :greengrin

Haste ye back!

The 90+2
21-01-2020, 03:58 PM
I agree that defence hasn’t looked great this season but imo it’s been more centrally or down Stevenson’s side we’ve looked poor.

Portoeus, for Having a lot of potential has been poor and at times a liability this season. He has some brilliant performances or moments dint get me wrong, but he still has a hell of a lot to learn and really has to start learning from his mistakes.

I totally agree with what you say, that’s why I wouldn’t want our strongest area Of defence be covered by the likes of James if Gray isn’t fit enough.

JimBHibees
21-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Shame for Jason, was loving it at Hibs, and gave us a good shift

Yet another long term injury in the squad, to add to Gray, Boyle, McGregor, and all out of the back 4
Plus the recent one with Mallon
Just have to hope Ryan’s is not too serious

Agree shame for Jason think he has done good, cracking goal against Killie also. Probably unlikely to see him back if he is out for a long period of time.

Hibbyradge
21-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Like concussions the physios should do a simple running test (forwards / back wards / angled running). If the player can’t do these they should be subbed.

Said it earlier in thread - it was obvious both injuries were bad and players should have both been off straight away.

Even downsouth Rashford played with stress fracture which will have long term effects for his career.

FFS, players shouldn't be forced to do running tests if they might have concussion!

Hibs physios must be sheite.

HibeeSS0762
21-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Has anyone heard any news on Porto’s injury? Sorry if Iv missed something.

TimeForHeroes16
21-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Unfortunate about Naismith never really took to him thought he was bang average constantly backing off players letting them in our box. A shame for the boy but won’t be missed

Diclonius
21-01-2020, 05:23 PM
Real shame for Naismith, hope his career can kick on at the same level after the injury.

Fortunately for us we have four more right backs, though three are injury prone themselves and one is a youth player.

Borderhibbie76
21-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Gutted for Naismith though I'm not so sure he was as good defensively as some are making out on here. He was deffo good at bombing forward but not so great at defending. A fit and firing SDG (fingers crossed) is still an upgrade in that position imho

EAZY-ME
21-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Gutted for him...good player who loved being a hibby

Broken Gnome
21-01-2020, 05:33 PM
And that's Porteous until at least May as well.

hibbysam
21-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Porteous out for the foreseeable, while signing a deal until 2023.

Heisenberg
21-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Both out for so long isn’t good. Probably see us sign another defender now using money that could’ve gone elsewhere. Season is heading for a write off already!

Allant1981
21-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Looks like the knee issue porteous had before wasnt really sorted, needing surgery

Billy Whizz
21-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Looks like the knee issue porteous had before wasnt really sorted, needing surgery

Did he not have surgery last time?

Unlucky Ryan, get fit soon

Hibbyradge
21-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Porteous out for the foreseeable, while signing a deal until 2023.

Jeez, that must have been a heavy pen!

3pm
21-01-2020, 05:42 PM
Jeez, that must have been a heavy pen!

Out with a torn cartridge.

Hibbyradge
21-01-2020, 05:44 PM
Out with a torn cartridge.

:hilarious

Brill.