PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen initiative.

Moulin Yarns
18-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Just heard they have sold out the Merkland Road stand with unallocated seats and providing flags to encourage a better atmosphere and allowing fans to stand.

I've suggested this before for the singing section, buy a season ticket for a block of seats rather than a specific seat. This would allow people to get in with a group of friends.

Keith_M
18-01-2020, 02:40 PM
Just heard they have sold out the Merkland Road stand with unallocated seats and providing flags to encourage a better atmosphere and allowing fans to stand.

I've suggested this before for the singing section, buy a season ticket for a block of seats rather than a specific seat. This would allow people to get in with a group of friends.

Sounds like a decent plan.

ABZHFC
18-01-2020, 03:14 PM
Yep agreed, unallocated is the way forward, means it can be as much like the old days (while safe) as possible!

FifeHibs
18-01-2020, 04:00 PM
The new chairman put on a discounted bar in Soul for the fans. Aberdeen have supposedly requested that Hibs move the game to an evening kick off on the Saturday we are away to them on 7th March.

Spudster
18-01-2020, 04:03 PM
Can’t think of a worse pre game pub than Soul though!

stokesmessiah
18-01-2020, 04:08 PM
Can’t think of a worse pre game pub than Soul though!

Can’t think of a worse pub that Soul, period.

Fuzzywuzzy
18-01-2020, 04:18 PM
The new chairman put on a discounted bar in Soul for the fans. Aberdeen have supposedly requested that Hibs move the game to an evening kick off on the Saturday we are away to them on 7th March.

Any reason they want to move the game?

FifeHibs
18-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Any reason they want to move the game?

As far as the boys in the office said it was to create more atmosphere and trying to entice more fans in. Supposedly Hamilton and Dumbarton have both turned the offer down

Clarence
18-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Whitaboot the away fans getting back down the road?

Whitaboot when Aberdeen got their match against Hertz moved to an earlier kick off for them to get up the road earlier?

Antifa Hibs
18-01-2020, 06:19 PM
Sold out the Merkland (the shed behind the goal). Fans all stood, flags, banners and a drum I think down the front behind the goal. Looked good. McCormack saying he may make it a permanent fixture.

Over to Hibs now. Sort the differences out with FF lower season tickets and get the ball rolling for next season.

Doesn't need the costly safe standing stuff. Standing in top flight football in Scotland is now allowed (Still banned down south though)

Keith_M
18-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Sold out the Merkland (the shed behind the goal). Fans all stood, flags, banners and a drum I think down the front behind the goal. Looked good. McCormack saying he may make it a permanent fixture.

Over to Hibs now. Sort the differences out with FF lower season tickets and get the ball rolling for next season.

Doesn't need the costly safe standing stuff. Standing in top flight football in Scotland is now allowed (Still banned down south though)

What does the part in bold mean?

:dunno:

Antifa Hibs
18-01-2020, 06:37 PM
What does the part in bold mean?

:dunno:

If/when a FFL standing section is announced you'll no doubt get the "if i get moved seat am no gaun back" brigade popping up. Sort them out, compensate them somehow, keep them happy so we can move onto it. Needs done. No point hanging about.

Not In The Know
18-01-2020, 07:48 PM
For as long as muppets keep throwing bottles and stuff this will never happen.

Alex Trager
18-01-2020, 09:38 PM
Whitaboot the away fans getting back down the road?

Whitaboot when Aberdeen got their match against Hertz moved to an earlier kick off for them to get up the road earlier?

Is that what that was for? I always wondered why that had been moved

Renfrew_Hibby
18-01-2020, 10:16 PM

Can we no just have the lower FF as safe standing, netting should ensure that no Buckie bottles reach the pitch.

Seriously, what's the issue?

wookie70
18-01-2020, 10:19 PM
They seem to treat Tynecastle as unallocated seating.

CMurdoch
18-01-2020, 10:29 PM

Sadly, I believe this to be the truth.
A bit like alcohol in stadiums.
Muppet control will be number one until muppets are not a factor.
Muppets oot!

green day
19-01-2020, 07:03 AM

Agreed, great idea.

The experiment worked as it was a cup match, but due to STs they cant realistically change league matches it until next season.

If Hibs were to get on board (hope they do), they will need to think about this well ahead of selling STs in March/April.

Wakeyhibee
19-01-2020, 07:51 AM

There have been muppets for as long as I know. And it will never change. This does not mean that football should legislate for all to the lowest common denominator. Perimeter fencing still came down as new stands were built.

The misconception of seated (behaved) supporters vs standing (unruly) supporters is utter guff. There is CCTV now to deal with this and act as a deterrent.

Johnny Clash
19-01-2020, 08:39 AM
The misconception of seated (behaved) supporters vs standing (unruly) supporters is utter guff. There is CCTV now to deal with this and act as a deterrent.

That’s a fair point. Our recent troubles have come from seated fans.

Pretty Boy
19-01-2020, 09:13 AM
I'm pretty grudging about giving Aberdeen praise for anything but I saw pictures of this on Twitter etc and it looked good.

I made a point on another thread recently that part of the problem with Scottish football is the image we present to the wider audience. Aberdeen have tried something that they believe will be beneficial to them as a club but also shows a full stand occupied by a colourful and noisy support. That's a good thing.

I hope other clubs were watching and thinking about whether it was an idea they could incorporate into their own stadia.

eastcoasthibby
19-01-2020, 09:22 AM
Aberdeen Board obviously not got the same focus as Hibs with regards looking after the families side of things ..wonder if there was any moaning and a barrage of complaints from the regulars who sit in the Meekland normally ?
It's a great idea from them though it's a pretty quiet stadium normally so if that adds to things fair play ..didn't seem to inspire the team though 😁

Wonder how Ron' s plan to improve the match day experience match's this ..🤔😃

Pretty Boy
19-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Aberdeen Board obviously not got the same focus as Hibs with regards looking after the families side of things ..wonder if there was any moaning and a barrage of complaints from the regulars who sit in the Meekland normally ?
It's a great idea from them though it's a pretty quiet stadium normally so if that adds to things fair play ..didn't seem to inspire the team though 😁

Wonder how Ron' s plan to improve the match day experience match's this ..🤔😃

The first part will only be answered if they continue it next season and ask ST holders to move. With yesterday being a cup game STs wouldn't be valid.

Fwiw I've always thought there has to be a solution to the FF Lower 'problem' at ER. When the singers were moved to Section 25 I was asked/told to move seat. It was a bit annoying because I liked where I was and knew the folk around me but it was a minor inconvenience really and no harm was done. I think talk of people boycotting and refusing to renew STs in protest is hyperbole in the extreme.

I think the key point is a lot of bairns would love to be close to the singers and the section isn't that big. Maybe offer them the section of seats directly behind the goal in section 18 and the back 5 rows of the other sections then sit the families in the remaining areas. It would look full, it would be noisy and kids would love all the noise without being unable to see because they were stuck right in the middle of it. Anyone currently in the impacted areas could maybe get the equivalent of 2 games taken of the price of their ST and offered their pick of free seats as compensation. When we were asked to move we got a choice of the available seats before they opened to general ST sales and were allowed to try them for a game to see if they suited.

Keith_M
19-01-2020, 09:30 AM
If/when a FFL standing section is announced you'll no doubt get the "if i get moved seat am no gaun back" brigade popping up. Sort them out, compensate them somehow, keep them happy so we can move onto it. Needs done. No point hanging about.

Wow!

I genuinely thought you had an actual idea as to how to solve the problem. Silly me.

Antifa Hibs
19-01-2020, 11:21 AM
Wow!

I genuinely thought you had an actual idea as to how to solve the problem. Silly me.

Indeed.

That's what a paid board of directors is for. Not a pished james blunt on a daft internet forum thingy :aok:

Eyrie
19-01-2020, 11:24 AM
Indeed.

That's what a paid board of directors is for. Not a pished james blunt on a daft internet forum thingy :aok:

Yet you're willing to suggest that the way to improve the atmosphere and backing for the team is to move the singing section to the Famous Five Lower.

Can't have it both ways. The paid board of directors (most of whom are actually unpaid) consider that the downside to your suggestion outweighs the upside.

Keith_M
19-01-2020, 12:35 PM
Indeed.

I have to admit, I was being a tad too sarcastic with my response. However, as has been pointed out by others, it's never as easy as some people suggest.

One issue is that there are some people that actually want this to happen but it doesn't necessarily follow that everybody does.

Should we just bow to one vocal group of supporters and ignore the rest?

Just to clarify, I'd love it if we came up with an initiative where we could improve the atmosphere at ER, even if that was to have a singing section in FF Lower. The only prerequisite should be that it is suitable for all, not just some.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2020, 12:41 PM
Has all the trouble we've recently had not come from the east stand, running on pitch, missiles thrown?

RIP
19-01-2020, 12:48 PM

Good idea in principle but it could present problems. We have had a group of 5-6 in Section 43 since the East Stand was built. If unallocated, how would we be guaranteed our group standing together?

The other thing is that Section 43 is pretty rammed with Season Ticket holders who prefer to stand. So we would need a solid fan consultation before agreeing to a change.

GGTTH

Moulin Yarns
19-01-2020, 01:40 PM
Good idea in principle but it could present problems. We have had a group of 5-6 in Section 43 since the East Stand was built. If unallocated, how would we be guaranteed our group standing together?

The other thing is that Section 43 is pretty rammed with Season Ticket holders who prefer to stand. So we would need a solid fan consultation before agreeing to a change.

GGTTH

To guarantee that you are all together you have to get into the ground earlier, thus helping alleviate the queues that form nearer kick off.

Peevemor
19-01-2020, 02:02 PM
I thought that the rules for all seated stadia stipulated that seats have to be designated. I wonder how they got round that one.

Helensburghhibs
19-01-2020, 02:45 PM
I thought that the rules for all seated stadia stipulated that seats have to be designated. I wonder how they got round that one.

Tickets would still have designated seat numbers, its the clubs decision wether they enforce it or not. This would be my guess.

It also may be relevant it was in the cup as there is no requirement for a stadium to be allocated and all seater in that competition

Moulin Yarns
19-01-2020, 02:53 PM
Tickets would still have designated seat numbers, its the clubs decision wether they enforce it or not. This would be my guess.

It also may be relevant it was in the cup as there is no requirement for a stadium to be allocated and all seater in that competition

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/01/17/stand-free-for-the-scottish-cup/

If the family section was moved to the upper FF then the obvious place to try this is the FF lower.

LancashireHibby
19-01-2020, 03:33 PM
Up to each club/stadium how they want to operate. The only difference between the two is that you have to leave 10% of the seats unsold if operating unreserved seating as per the Green Guide as people tend to leave an empty seat between themselves and people they don’t know etc.

Keith_M
19-01-2020, 06:16 PM
https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/01/17/stand-free-for-the-scottish-cup/

If the family section was moved to the upper FF then the obvious place to try this is the FF lower.

Where will you move the people in FF Upper?

Would you ask them first if they are willing to move, or just force them?

ABZHFC
19-01-2020, 09:06 PM
I have to admit, I was being a tad too sarcastic with my response. However, as has been pointed out by others, it's never as easy as some people suggest.

One issue is that there are some people that actually want this to happen but it doesn't necessarily follow that everybody does.

Should we just bow to one vocal group of supporters and ignore the rest?

Just to clarify, I'd love it if we came up with an initiative where we could improve the atmosphere at ER, even if that was to have a singing section in FF Lower. The only prerequisite should be that it is suitable for all, not just some.

Yes.

Iggy Pope
19-01-2020, 09:12 PM
Where will you move the people in FF Upper?

Would you ask them first if they are willing to move, or just force them?

Aye, gen as we used to say.

green day
20-01-2020, 06:01 AM

GGTTH

Hibs seem to be working behind the scenes to make something happen - https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?344531-Since-1875-Safe-Standing-Survey

I'm Spartacus
21-01-2020, 01:11 PM
I think Soul is a great bar!

The unallocated seating is a great idea, far more social to go with friends and sit together.

JXM73
21-01-2020, 02:07 PM
Why would those in FF lower have to move, make the area safe standing but still offer those currently in FFL their season ticket but inform area is now unallocated safe standing.

If they don't wish to renew or prefer to move then accommodated in usual way, though would still offer current family deal.

Keith_M
21-01-2020, 02:08 PM
Did Aberdeen do this as a one-off or is it going to be permanent?

Keith_M
21-01-2020, 02:11 PM
Why would those in FF lower have to move, make the area safe standing but still offer those currently in FFL their season ticket but inform area is now unallocated safe standing.

If they don't wish to renew or prefer to move then accommodated in usual way, though would still offer current family deal.

So disband the Family Section notion without consulting the 1,600 Season Ticket holders?

<sarcasm>Aye, that's a rare idea.</sarcasm>

JXM73
21-01-2020, 02:16 PM
Aye, they mostly dont go to games anyway 🤔

(Equally sarcastic)

Stokesy's on fire
21-01-2020, 10:42 PM
Some people who attended the sheep game didn't notice much of a difference even with this red shed move. Its a soulless sespit of a stadium you simply can not polish a....

lyonhibs
22-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Did Aberdeen do this as a one-off or is it going to be permanent?

A one off because it was a cup game and thus I'd imagine not included in the ST no? :confused: