PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh City (NHC)

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 04:42 PM
Edinburgh City are the 2nd worst supported league team in Scotland.
Averaging 345 fans at home games which is 61 fans more than Albion Rovers.
Attendances down 15% from last seasons already low crowds.

This seems a hellish shame given the fight it takes to get into the big leagues.
Need to double their home attendances to make meaningful progress.

Any chance of things improving?
Any ideas why support for them is so dire?
Any good news for them on the horizon?

1van Sprou7e
16-01-2020, 04:44 PM

I've got a couple, they both begin with H

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 04:46 PM
I've got a couple, they both begin with H

But 345 and half of them will be family and friends of the players and management

Greencore
They should move to West Lothian and star... Oh its been done.

Hibeesmad

This seems a hellish shame given the fight it takes to get into the big leagues.

Any good news for them on the horizon?

The majority of those in attendance are probably relatives and friends of the players too. If they manage to get promotion to League 1 then it might encourage more people to attend. Maybe they can try incentives with school kids and their parents/family etc to increase interest.

Since452
16-01-2020, 04:48 PM
We're they not running an initiative where Hibs and Hearts season ticket holders got in free?

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 04:56 PM
The majority of those in attendance are probably relatives and friends of the players too. If they manage to get promotion to League 1 then it might encourage more people to attend. Maybe they can try incentives with school kids and their parents/family etc to increase interest.

More than 345 folk have a drink in their social club before Hibs games!

Carheenlea
16-01-2020, 04:58 PM
We're they not running an initiative where Hibs and Hearts season ticket holders got in free?

I wish the club no ill will, but I have no interest whatsoever in going to watch Edinburgh City.

Onceinawhile
16-01-2020, 04:59 PM

Half price I think it is.

The 90+2
16-01-2020, 04:59 PM
It doesn’t help they now share a place with Spartans.

Irish-Hibee
16-01-2020, 05:00 PM

No, they do sell tickets at a discount though. £2 off or something

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 05:03 PM

They get in for a reduced rate but think it still about a tenner

Cataplana
16-01-2020, 05:07 PM
I think they have to promote themselves more effectively in the local area, as Spartans get big crowds for cup ties.

I would imagine they could double their attendance if the were to get promotion.

linlithgowhibbie
16-01-2020, 05:08 PM
I wish the club no ill will, but I have no interest whatsoever in going to watch Edinburgh City.

Likewise for me, however I do not want another club sharing our areas of high fanbase, even 20-25 Hibs fans or future Hibs fans not coming to E.R. each match is money lost for Hibs.

SanFranHibs
16-01-2020, 05:08 PM

I hope they go under. This town ain't big enough for the three of us.

Hibby Bairn
16-01-2020, 05:10 PM
It doesn’t help they now share a place with Spartans.

Rent matchday stadium from Spartans. Not sharing.

Need their own identity starting with their own home.

Billy Whizz
16-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Wonder if they played, say on a Friday or Saturday night, they’d get bigger crowds?

Worth a try

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Wonder if they played, say on a Friday or Saturday night, they’d get bigger crowds?

Worth a try

That's a good idea.

Alex Harris and Danny Handling are their top scorers this season with 9 goals. Harris also has 7 assists. With Callum Crane playing at the back and Calum Antell in goal as well so plenty of ex Hibee interest.

hibbysam
16-01-2020, 05:26 PM
That's a good idea.

Alex Harris and Danny Handling are their top scorers this season with 9 goals Callum Crane and Conrad Balatoni playing at the back as well so plenty of ex Hibee interest.

Unless I’ve missed something Balatoni wasn’t at hibs was he? He started out at hearts but never at hibs.

Antifa Hibs
16-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Half price I think it is.

Previously half price - was a tenner this year though, they knocked 3 quid off i think it was.

They've played at Meadowbank which is utter pish for football but decent enough location for getting to I guess. Spartan's isn't the best for either TBF, good facilities for players but being surrounded by flats one side and houses the other doesn't really cut it for me and location-wise its no good either. Meadowbank redevelopment has football as an after thought too. No standing places, some ****ty wee stand with 3 rows bolted onto the main building, area far to open again.

Hopefully they can find somewhere for themselves, start growing their fanbase, get a bit of an identity etc. Good luck to em.

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Unless I’ve missed something Balatoni wasn’t at hibs was he? He started out at hearts but never at hibs.

Doh! Your right. Fortunately he never played any games for the other team! Amended. Have added Calum Antell in his place and added 7 assists to Alex Harris.

fishybeaver
16-01-2020, 05:37 PM
I quite often go if hibs are away etc, stopped for a while when they signed convicted sex offender Craig Thompson, but started going back when Harris and Handling signed. It's a decent football fix on occasions and the pies very decent.

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 05:42 PM
I quite often go if hibs are away etc, stopped for a while when they signed convicted sex offender Craig Thompson, but started going back when Harris and Handling signed. It's a decent football fix on occasions and the pies very decent.

Now you've done it!
Aw the frothers will start frothing.

Since452
16-01-2020, 05:42 PM

Worth a try

The SPFL would probably say no such is the stupidness of Scottsh football

hibby rae
16-01-2020, 05:47 PM
I've been a couple times when we're not at home. Last year's game against Peterhead was rammed.

The closer we get to better weather and the end of the season I think crowds will rise, as long as they are still in the title race. They won't drop out of the play off places so there will hopefully be something to draw people in.

TimeForHeroes16
16-01-2020, 05:52 PM
I hope the crowds stay dire for them after signing Thomson such a dirty club

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 05:55 PM
I hope the crowds stay dire for them after signing Thomson such a dirty club

Frother No.1

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 05:59 PM
I've been a couple times when we're not at home. Last year's game against Peterhead was rammed.

The closer we get to better weather and the end of the season I think crowds will rise, as long as they are still in the title race. They won't drop out of the play off places so there will hopefully be something to draw people in.

Cove have signed Rory McAllister from Peterhead which will probably guarantee them the title but Edinburgh City nailed on for 2nd. Currently 12 points ahead of Cowdenbeath and 17 ahead of Annan.

London Hibs FC
16-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Meadowbank Thistle’s average attendances were about the same. Tough gig being Edinburgh’s ‘3rd’ Club.

green with envy
16-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Watched their game against Queens Park on Saturday and have to say that they were dreadful. That's the third time in a row during the shutdown and I have yet to see a decent game. As for the entry fee, it used to be half price for Hibs & herts ST holders but this time there was only a £2.00 reduction. Not sure if that had any bearing on the crowd but it was the lowest by quite a large margin.

Keith_M
16-01-2020, 06:06 PM
They're a new club with a very short history.

It takes time to build up a fanbase and they face the challenge of two well established local clubs, plus the Ugly Sisters.

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 06:07 PM
Previously half price - was a tenner this year though, they knocked 3 quid off i think it was.

They've played at Meadowbank which is utter pish for football but decent enough location for getting to I guess. Spartan's isn't the best for either TBF, good facilities for players but being surrounded by flats one side and houses the other doesn't really cut it for me and location-wise its no good either. Meadowbank redevelopment has football as an after thought too. No standing places, some ****ty wee stand with 3 rows bolted onto the main building, area far to open again.

Hopefully they can find somewhere for themselves, start growing their fanbase, get a bit of an identity etc. Good luck to em.

I think your right, they need to give some thought to relocation to somewhere better in the city. Need to play the Hibs and Hearts ex players angle more and try and get development players from both clubs as well.
Sharing with Spartans clearly isn't working for them.

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Worth a try

Tranmere used to do that for the same reasons.

Billy Whizz
16-01-2020, 06:31 PM

I was trying to remember which team did this, thanks
Wonder if it worked for them

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Did Torquay not play at strange times as well years ago

Scouse Hibee
16-01-2020, 06:47 PM

Apparently so, found this-

If you were a Tranmere fan during the 1970s, 80s or 90s, Friday Night Football was a staple part of your routine. As an established and competitive Football League club, Rovers built a solid fan base and ultimately embarked on Johnny King’s trip to the moon, predominantly played under the floodlights of fortress Prenton Park on a Friday night.

It would usually see a larger attendance for the game, while the matches themselves were often feisty or memorable matches played out under the glare of the floodlights. Football fans around Merseyside remember the days, including Liverpool and Everton supporters who would take the opportunity to see another live game ahead of their own team’s matches the next day.

Never went myself but know a few who did in the 80’s.

hibby rae
16-01-2020, 06:52 PM
Cove have signed Rory McAllister from Peterhead which will probably guarantee them the title but Edinburgh City nailed on for 2nd. Currently 12 points ahead of Cowdenbeath and 17 ahead of Annan.

Yeah it's a shame they couldn't capitalise on Cove's game being called off and going top of the league. Could have given them a psychological boost given they were a few points behind at one point earlier in the season.

It's a shame Blair Henderson's form hasn't been like last season. Unless he's been injured?

Billy Whizz
16-01-2020, 06:53 PM

If you were a Tranmere fan during the 1970s, 80s or 90s, Friday Night Football was a staple part of your routine. As an established and competitive Football League club, Rovers built a solid fan base and ultimately embarked on Johnny King’s trip to the moon, predominantly played under the floodlights of fortress Prenton Park on a Friday night.

It would usually see a larger attendance for the game, while the matches themselves were often feisty or memorable matches played out under the glare of the floodlights. Football fans around Merseyside remember the days, including Liverpool and Everton supporters who would take the opportunity to see another live game ahead of their own team’s matches the next day.

Interesting that it worked for them
Downside now is there are so many TV games on a Friday night, might not work nowadays. Presume when Tranmere did it, very little football on TV

hibby rae

I heard Half Man Half Biscuit refused to play on The Tube because Tranmere were playing. When told they would hire a helicopter for them to do both, they still declined and one of them said 'what would my mates say?!'

CMurdoch
Watched their game against Queens Park on Saturday and have to say that they were dreadful. That's the third time in a row during the shutdown and I have yet to see a decent game. As for the entry fee, it used to be half price for Hibs & herts ST holders but this time there was only a £2.00 reduction. Not sure if that had any bearing on the crowd but it was the lowest by quite a large margin.

Well done.
The following is a link to a vlog done by the young Hearts vlogger Aaron Fraser for Edinburgh City against Cowdenbeath.
Best bit is 5 minutes in when the Cowdenbeath fan jokingly challenges the young City supporters to a fight as he walks in front of the stand just before the end of the match. Good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXful9t9WA

SideBurns
16-01-2020, 06:59 PM
They're a new club with a very short history.

It takes time to build up a fanbase and they face the challenge of two well established local clubs, plus the Ugly Sisters.

They're not a new club; they're one of the oldest in Edinburgh, and in fact think they knocked Hibs out of the Scottish Cup in the 1930s?!

However, I agree they are toiling to build a support in a relatively small city with two well supported clubs like Hibs & Hearts

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 07:04 PM
Yeah it's a shame they couldn't capitalise on Cove's game being called off and going top of the league. Could have given them a psychological boost given they were a few points behind at one point earlier in the season.

It's a shame Blair Henderson's form hasn't been like last season. Unless he's been injured?

The loss to Queens Park was their second to the Spiders this season. Don't think they have lost to anyone else.

According to their website BH has scored 6 goals in 13 games which would indeed suggest he has been injured.
Some of the players have played 26 games and the club have played 20 league games (website isn't the best).

The 90+2
16-01-2020, 07:05 PM
Rent matchday stadium from Spartans. Not sharing.

Need their own identity starting with their own home.

Yeah that’s what I meant.

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 07:07 PM
They're not a new club; they're one of the oldest in Edinburgh, and in fact think they knocked Hibs out of the Scottish Cup in the 1930s?!

However, I agree they are toiling to build a support in a relatively small city with two well supported clubs like Hibs & Hearts

Edinburgh City were founded in 1928. The club aimed to become the Edinburgh equivalent of the Glasgow club Queen’s Park, and joined the Scottish Football League as an amateur club in 1931.
They achieved a famous Scottish Cup victory when they defeated Hibernian 3–2 at Easter Road in the first round of the 1937-38 competition but lost to Raith Rovers in the next round.

hibby rae
16-01-2020, 07:07 PM
The loss to Queens Park was their second to the Spiders this season. Don't think they have lost to anyone else.

According to their website BH has scored 6 goals in 13 games which would indeed suggest he has been injured.
Some of the players have played 26 games and the club have played 20 league games (website isn't the best).

I think they also lost to Cove away but beat them at home. Hope it's still close by the time Cove come back again cause that could be a great game to go to.

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 07:10 PM
I think they also lost to Cove away but beat them at home. Hope it's still close by the time Cove come back again cause that could be a great game to go to.

Just noticed that. A cheeky wee 5-0 doing!

LancashireHibby
16-01-2020, 07:20 PM

Stockport used to do the same, I think.

TimeForHeroes16
16-01-2020, 08:19 PM
Frother No.1

Is it not okay to dislike a club who employ sex offenders?

Joe6-2
16-01-2020, 08:23 PM

Better if the jumbos went under

Tyler Durden
16-01-2020, 08:36 PM
I’ve started taking an interest in Edinburgh City this year as I believe they’re probably the best value team to bet on, in Scotland. Routinely over priced, including when they were about 3/1 to beat a Cove side who had an injury crisis.

Their defeat last week was a bit of a coupon buster but they’d won something like 6 on the spin prior to that. Bad timing as they could’ve gone top.

With Cove buying Rory McAllister this week and maybe ready to spend more, it’ll be tough to beat them to the top spot.

Hibby Bairn
16-01-2020, 08:45 PM
That's a good idea.

Alex Harris and Danny Handling are their top scorers this season with 9 goals. Harris also has 7 assists. With Callum Crane playing at the back and Calum Antell in goal as well so plenty of ex Hibee interest.

And James McDonagh is manager.

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 09:18 PM
Is it not okay to dislike a club who employ sex offenders?

Thomson is one guy. Edinburgh City do not actively seek out and employ sex offenders.
Did you think the rest of us that posted on this thread didn't know the guys history?
It's tedious and knee jerk and the rest of us chose not to go there.
Have you watched QI and the buzzer goes off when the dafty says the blindingly obvious and uninteresting.
You were that dafty on this thread.

Kojock
16-01-2020, 09:24 PM

Worth a try

Problem with that could be players getting time off on a Friday for a trip to Elgin etc.

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 09:59 PM
Problem with that could be players getting time off on a Friday for a trip to Elgin etc.

Billy obviously means Edinburgh City playing their home games on a Friday night but your point still stands in that the Elgin players in your example would struggle to all get away from work early enough to play on a Friday night in Edinburgh and for that reason the football authorities would be right to reject a request from Edinburgh City to play their home matches on Friday's.

TimeForHeroes16
16-01-2020, 10:23 PM
Thomson is one guy. Edinburgh City do not actively seek out and employ sex offenders.
Did you think the rest of us that posted on this thread didn't know the guys history?
It's tedious and knee jerk and the rest of us chose not to go there.
Have you watched QI and the buzzer goes off when the dafty says the blindingly obvious and uninteresting.
You were that dafty on this thread.
So now I’m not allowed to share my opinion without getting called a daftie?
Taking this awfully personal Mr Thomson

Aim Here
16-01-2020, 10:26 PM

Half Man Half Biscuit - famous Tranmere fans - wrote a song about that very thing. It was called 'Friday Night and the Gates are Low'....

The 90+2
16-01-2020, 10:37 PM

Surely everyone is allowed rehabilitation? Jesus himself forgave all sinners.

Unless Thomson has been at it again then it doesn’t make a football club bad for giving someone a chance to live a relatively normal life.

Greenfly
16-01-2020, 10:41 PM
Edinburgh City were founded in 1928. The club aimed to become the Edinburgh equivalent of the Glasgow club Queen’s Park, and joined the Scottish Football League as an amateur club in 1931.
They achieved a famous Scottish Cup victory when they defeated Hibernian 3–2 at Easter Road in the first round of the 1937-38 competition but lost to Raith Rovers in the next round.

They're not the same club. Edinburgh City folded completely in the mid 50s. The current club were Postal United (founded in the 60s) and playing under that name as amateurs for 20 years before adopting the name Edinburgh City with permission of the Social Club, which had kept going after the original team folded and is, of course, still there. Postal United had no connection with the earlier ECFC - not even as a phoenix club. I've nothing whatsoever against them but there's no continuity at all with the old City team other than using the name in an almost-franchise arrangement.

The Modfather
16-01-2020, 10:57 PM
I’d like to see Hibs give them £100k to turn professional...:devil:

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 11:12 PM
They're not the same club. Edinburgh City folded completely in the mid 50s. The current club were Postal United (founded in the 60s) and playing under that name as amateurs for 20 years before adopting the name Edinburgh City with permission of the Social Club, which had kept going after the original team folded and is, of course, still there. Postal United had no connection with the earlier ECFC - not even as a phoenix club. I've nothing whatsoever against them but there's no continuity at all with the old City team other than using the name in an almost-franchise arrangement.

:aok:The club ceased activity completely in 1955, when the local council refused to renew its lease on its home ground, City Park.
The Edinburgh City Football Club Ltd (Social Club), which had continued trading throughout the abeyance of the football club, gave their approval in 1986 for Postal United to use the Edinburgh City name.

CMurdoch
16-01-2020, 11:50 PM

It's probably unhealthy that your comment was about sex offenders when the rest of us were talking about Edinburgh City.
A psychologist would have a field day with that.
P.S. Watch you don't fall on your pitchfork

Lmc2105
17-01-2020, 12:13 AM
I went up to Elgin few weeks ago with a few pals to watch City just for a day out and a bevy session really. Enjoyed it got the victory as well. I know James really well so I also go along for him. Decent side but cove might have just stole the league with the signing earlier this week.

I think when they move back to Meadowbank they will get a better support. Lack of places to drink etc at Ainslie hurts when away fans and home fans don’t really have anywhere to go before / after the wee bar is sometimes open but not often due to city needing it for Hospitality.

CMurdoch
17-01-2020, 12:47 AM
I went up to Elgin few weeks ago with a few pals to watch City just for a day out and a bevy session really. Enjoyed it got the victory as well. I know James really well so I also go along for him. Decent side but cove might have just stole the league with the signing earlier this week.

I think when they move back to Meadowbank they will get a better support. Lack of places to drink etc at Ainslie hurts when away fans and home fans don’t really have anywhere to go before / after the wee bar is sometimes open but not often due to city needing it for Hospitality.

Didn't realise they were going back to Meadowbank.
Carnage there at the moment with the building of the student flats and sports centre.
If they get promoted it would be a good level to send Hibs development players to and that would attract Hibs supporters, especially to Meadowbank.

stuart-farquhar
17-01-2020, 01:47 AM
Didn't realise they were going back to Meadowbank.
Carnage there at the moment with the building of the student flats and sports centre.
If they get promoted it would be a good level to send Hibs development players to and that would attract Hibs supporters, especially to Meadowbank.

Can't say that any club nearby can be anything other than a threat.

Since452
17-01-2020, 05:50 AM

I'm mildly concerned at EC climbing the leagues and becoming a direct rival for players and new fans. They're looking good for promotion this season. 20 years ago who'd have saw Livingston beat us in a cup final and routinely beat us in the league? Next season they'll only be one division behind Hearts

green day
17-01-2020, 05:54 AM
I'm mildly concerned at EC climbing the leagues and becoming a direct rival for players and new fans. They're looking good for promotion this season. 20 years ago who'd have saw Livingston beat us in a cup final and routinely beat us in the league? Next season they'll only be one division behind Hearts

Meadowbank had to leave Edinburgh as they had no real fanbase here - similar to EC, tbh.

Livi were financially doped to the eyeballs at that time, Gretna also got to a cup final before going breasts skyward !

I cant get all dewey eyed about "minnows beating bigger teams" when its all fake.

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2020, 05:58 AM

Are they actually moving back to Meadowbank? It's not a stand that is being built. It only has around 500 trackside seats.

AndyM_1875
17-01-2020, 08:03 AM

It was big enough pre war when there were 4 Edinburgh clubs in Divisions 1 and 2 in HIbs, Hertz, St Bernards and Leith Athletic.:greengrin

And you had Edinburgh City kicking about in the amateur leagues.

Cataplana
17-01-2020, 08:22 AM

Meadowbank Thistle, and Edinburgh City both played at Meadowbank and didn't threaten Hibs.

lord bunberry
17-01-2020, 09:36 AM

I thought that the new Meadowbank was only going to have a 500 seat stand. Surely that’s not going to be enough for a team looking to move up the leagues, is there going to be standing areas around the pitch?

CMurdoch
17-01-2020, 10:52 AM
I thought that the new Meadowbank was only going to have a 500 seat stand. Surely that’s not going to be enough for a team looking to move up the leagues, is there going to be standing areas around the pitch?

I'm presuming they would only be renting Meadowbank and that gives them flexibility to move if they need or want to in the future.
Given their 345 attendance average this season a stand that fits 500 in will work for them meantime.

Their success at the moment is a lot down to ex Hibs and Hearts players deciding to play in Edinburgh rather than doing lots of travelling to play. This geographic advantage has seen the likes of Alex Harris playing at a level below his playing ability this season which has resulted in him scoring 9 goals and getting 7 assists.

Anthony Soprano
17-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Caught their twitter account liking hearts tweets directed at us, haven't liked them since.

One city, one team, we'll always wear green. F*** the rest.

lord bunberry
17-01-2020, 12:28 PM
I'm presuming they would only be renting Meadowbank and that gives them flexibility to move if they need or want to in the future.
Given their 345 attendance average this season a stand that fits 500 in will work for them meantime.

Their success at the moment is a lot down to ex Hibs and Hearts players deciding to play in Edinburgh rather than doing lots of travelling to play. This geographic advantage has seen the likes of Alex Harris playing at a level below his playing ability this season which has resulted in him scoring 9 goals and getting 7 assists.
It leaves them with problems if they get promoted though. Teams like Falkirk and Raith would bring a relatively large away support and they wouldn’t be able to accommodate them which would be lost revenue for them. Maybe there’s going to be standing areas around the side that will allow them to get more in.

Dr Jimmy
17-01-2020, 12:35 PM

They also have a very good manager. (Who’s a Hibby BTW!).

Leith_Hibee
17-01-2020, 12:39 PM

That's Edinburgh City's fault. They chose to keep the upstairs bar exclusively for Directors and hospitality (when they do it). At least when Spartans play at home the fans have access to the bar pre match, half time and post match. The directors slum it in the corner.

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2020, 01:02 PM
That is true, it's only 500 seats. Basically a small gazebo stand (like Hamilton) trackside. Really don't think they are going back there.

Tomsk
17-01-2020, 05:02 PM
That is true, it's only 500 seats. Basically a small gazebo stand (like Hamilton) trackside. Really don't think they are going back there.

Where are they going then? They have only a three-year lease at Ainslie Park and a lease to play at Meadowbank when it reopens.

Scouse Hibee
17-01-2020, 05:41 PM
Where are they going then? They have only a three-year lease at Ainslie Park and a lease to play at Meadowbank when it reopens.

There was talk of them trying to strike deal using the all seater that will be constructed next to Murrayfield.

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2020, 06:25 PM

I don't know, just speculating. Meadowbank is not on schedule so they'd be daft not to be looking elswhere.

Lancs Harp
17-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Went to see City v Arbroath a couple of seasons ago, I can honestly say it was the poorest game of "league" football I have ever seen. The highlight was the banter and singing match between Arbroaths dozen or so middle aged anaroks and the Citizens little mob of 14 year boys and girls who were quite lippy.

wookie70
18-01-2020, 11:20 AM
Bonnyrigg Rose game v Clyde a sell out today. The biggest problem with Edinburgh City is identity. Where in Edinburgh do they connect with. Very difficult with East and West covered by Hibs and the Duncans respectively and not too bad a travel from East and Midlothian.

KingPat4
18-01-2020, 11:47 AM
Not a great matchday experience, just doesn't feel like a football ground. Most junior grounds feel more alive.

I think they average nearer 400 or so, but never going to be much more. Look at Livi, a decent side, but attract 1200 for games against Killie or Hamilton.

The owner of Boreham Wood, a decent National League side, in North London, has spent millions trying to establish the club, but still average only around 500/600.

I doubt very much if there are any Hibbies who have deserted for EC, but with a bit if luck therer could be a new city derby within two years.....,

Keith_M
18-01-2020, 01:08 PM

AFAIK, they have no connection to the original Edinburgh City other than the name.

Any Fans of the first EC have long since died out, so their fan base is starting from scratch (which is kinda the point I was making)

SideBurns
18-01-2020, 03:29 PM
AFAIK, they have no connection to the original Edinburgh City other than the name.

Any Fans of the first EC have long since died out, so their fan base is starting from scratch (which is kinda the point I was making)

A couple of posters have already mentioned that after your original post. They're still not a 'new' club, but I suppose we're dealing in semantics (and we agree that there is little room for a 3rd Edinburgh club to grow in support, as Meadowbank discovered).

CMurdoch
18-01-2020, 04:03 PM

Good factoid :aok:

BS44
18-01-2020, 08:43 PM
88 fans at Hamilton today.

Good luck to them but there must be better supported teams floating about in the lower leagues, the Shire for instance

The 90+2
18-01-2020, 09:01 PM

Good luck to them but there must be better supported teams floating about in the lower leagues, the Shire for instance

There may well be but they are well ran club in the league through absolute merit.

Hibby Bairn
18-01-2020, 09:17 PM

The “Shire” average about 150 home gate.

Much better with a club like Bonnyrigg Rose or Kelty Hearts. Probably more the former. Clear identity and good home following.

CMurdoch
18-01-2020, 09:23 PM
They also have a very good manager. (Who’s a Hibby BTW!).

Yeah James is doing well.
Is Jim Jeffries still their Director Of Fitbaw?

delbert
18-01-2020, 09:27 PM

1050 fans at Hamilton Accies today - 2200 today at Bonnyrigg and in the previous round against Montrose, 1700 against Buckie Thistle in a game televised live, Hamilton bring nothing to the game and only 900 of that crowd were home fans, a joke of a club.

BS44
18-01-2020, 09:31 PM
1050 fans at Hamilton Accies today - 2200 today at Bonnyrigg and in the previous round against Montrose, 1700 against Buckie Thistle in a game televised live, Hamilton bring nothing to the game and only 900 of that crowd were home fans, a joke of a club.

No argument from me, friend. This thread is about Edinburgh City, Hamilton have probable been discussed a dozen times already

EI255
18-01-2020, 09:55 PM

Any good news for them on the horizon?Atrocious support.

What's the point?

Really?

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

EI255
18-01-2020, 09:56 PM
They should move to West Lothian and star... Oh its been done.Half their fans are supermarket shoppers

Squealing pig
18-01-2020, 10:04 PM

Bo’ness united 👌

SideBurns
18-01-2020, 11:37 PM
There may well be but they are well ran club in the league through absolute merit.

Aye, can't understand any hostility towards Edinburgh City. They're no threat to us, and give a wee occasional alternative to watch a 3pm game of fitba on a Saturday if Hibs aren't playing.

If crowds are the yardstick, then the majority of clubs in Scotland are a 'joke' (including several in the premier league). The truth is they/we all suffer from people choosing to support Celtic & Rangers in a small country with small towns & cities.

Stuart93
18-01-2020, 11:45 PM

Is it below his playing ability? I wouldn’t say it is

He was massively overrated. I’d argue he’s found his level unfortunately.

SideBurns
18-01-2020, 11:55 PM
Half their fans are supermarket shoppers

Where do the other half shop?

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 01:42 AM
Is it below his playing ability? I wouldn’t say it is

He was massively overrated. I’d argue he’s found his level unfortunately.

He was overrated initially but he is better than the 4th tier hence despite his position he is their top scorer this season with 9 goals and top of their assists with 7.
His level may be the 3rd tier. Time will tell but he is definitely prospering in the 4th tier as evidenced by his goalscoring and assists.

DaveF
19-01-2020, 06:47 AM

The bonnyrigg crowd at yesterday's game had a good number of Hibs and hearts fans present so it's fantasy to think they would attract those crowds on a weekly basis. I think they get around 600 which probably on a par with most in league 2 and some in league 1.

Cataplana
19-01-2020, 10:52 AM

They sold their club rooms for big money a few years ago, and that might have a lot to do with their finances.

For me, buying the Loch Inn and turning it into your social club doesn't show much joined up thinking. Miles from where they play, and not in the sort of location to attract people to it outside match days.

Diclonius
19-01-2020, 10:55 AM
The closed shop system of the previous league set up has resulted in a league heavily weighted towards teams from the west, which have diluted crowds as a result of the OF. If more teams from elsewhere in Scotland can force themselves into the top divisions then it can only be a good thing. I know Cove are heavily bankrolled but they can build up a genuinely big support if they keep going the way they are, especially from kids in Aberdeenshire/North Angus who want to support a different team to Aberdeen.

They're just in L2 and they already have the highest average support in the division.

Brightside
19-01-2020, 11:22 AM
Far too many teams in Scotland pro leagues.

Keith_M
19-01-2020, 11:25 AM
A couple of posters have already mentioned that after your original post. They're still not a 'new' club, but I suppose we're dealing in semantics (and we agree that there is little room for a 3rd Edinburgh club to grow in support, as Meadowbank discovered).

Agreed

:aok:

greenlex
19-01-2020, 11:26 AM
They sold their club rooms for big money a few years ago, and that might have a lot to do with their finances.

For me, buying the Loch Inn and turning it into your social club doesn't show much joined up thinking. Miles from where they play, and not in the sort of location to attract people to it outside match days.
Correct. They are chucking money at it. The level of players they have is far more to do with money than convenience. It’s unsustainable.

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2020, 11:40 AM

The social club has nothing to do with the football club financially, totally different entities.

Cataplana
19-01-2020, 11:59 AM
The social club has nothing to do with the football club financially, totally different entities.

Interesting, any idea what happened to the money from the sale of the social club? Must have raised a pretty penny on that site.

Scouse Hibee
19-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Interesting, any idea what happened to the money from the sale of the social club? Must have raised a pretty penny on that site.

They must be sitting on it I guess as it all belongs to the social club not the FC. They had plans recently to expand further and buy the Chinese premises next door.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 12:31 PM

Not joined up thinking but a nice wee earner on Hibs match days

Cataplana
19-01-2020, 01:28 PM
Not joined up thinking but a nice wee earner on Hibs match days

I've noticed that, I wonder if that's enough to keep the club going the rest of the time.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 01:42 PM
I've noticed that, I wonder if that's enough to keep the club going the rest of the time.

Probably get a lot of local trade from Lochend and Restalrig at nights and weekends to keep it ticking over.

Daytime on weekdays will be almost non existent you would think though.

jgl07
19-01-2020, 11:37 PM

And Stockport County.

overdrive
21-01-2020, 01:40 PM

Aside from the social club being a separate entity to the football club, it wasn’t miles from where they played at the time.

The 90+2
21-01-2020, 01:45 PM

They sold the city club and must have been for good money of course, that premises was never busy at all, even on weekend nights most of the time. I used to play pool and snooker in there all the time and it was also further away from Meadowbank than where they moved to. I think it’s been pointed out also the social club is ran separately from the football club although there’s obviously loads of fund raisers, after dinner events etc that the club let the football club host.

Winston Ingram
21-01-2020, 06:37 PM

That’s an exception not the rule. Their attendance in a run of the mill league game v is a more realistic comparison