Is he alive?

Who?

Hibeesmad
15-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Who?

🤣

Hibeesmad
15-01-2020, 05:50 PM
Haven't seen him involved in anything from Hibs social media platform, last seen in the squad back in the semi final?

Starting to get the feeling something has gone on behind the scenes which the club want to keep quiet.

HoboHarry
Aye, he's at a pub in Pompeii playing poker with Lord Lucan. They rode up to the pub on Shergar......

PISTOL1875
With Mallan being inured , this might be the opportunity for Vela to force his way back into the managers thoughts..

Hibeesmad
15-01-2020, 05:51 PM
With Mallan being inured , this might be the opportunity for Vela to force his way back into the managers thoughts..

My thoughts also

Diclonius
15-01-2020, 05:52 PM
Would be good if he could pick up his form but given the wages he's most likely on I'd rather we replaced him with someone else.

04Sauzee
15-01-2020, 05:52 PM
I thought Hibs said he stayed at home to recover from an injury whilst we were in Spain. This is also why he hasn't been in Hibs squads recently.

Hibeesmad
15-01-2020, 05:55 PM
I thought Hibs said he stayed at home to recover from an injury whilst we were in Spain. This is also why he hasn't been in Hibs squads recently.

The good old injury excuse

RIP Bestie
15-01-2020, 05:57 PM
My thoughts also

Why would he want to force his way into your thoughts?

Nicho87
15-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Never fought to start with can’t see that changing now personally

HoboHarry
15-01-2020, 06:01 PM
:rolleyes:

The 90+2
15-01-2020, 06:01 PM
Do MK Dons not need a midfielder?

Hibeesmad
15-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Why would he want to force his way into your thoughts?

Haha, because my season ticket potentially contributed towards his wages

hibbysam
15-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Heard some story about a fire extinguisher and a hotel but can neither confirm nor deny that.

The 90+2
15-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Haha, because my season ticket potentially contributed towards his wages

He’s also picking up a wage for doing **** all while we kick about waiting for someone decent to play in our first team.

hibbysam
15-01-2020, 06:06 PM
He’s also picking up a wage for doing **** all while we kick about waiting for someone decent to play in our first team.

Guessing any player that gets injured we should just release so we don’t pay their wages? Mallan will be the same now, get him off the wage bill.

Hibeesmad
15-01-2020, 06:07 PM

Send him back to Bolton and pretend he's Adam Jackson

Since452
15-01-2020, 06:07 PM
Maybe a chance for him with Mallan out

The 90+2
15-01-2020, 06:12 PM
Guessing any player that gets injured we should just release so we don’t pay their wages? Mallan will be the same now, get him off the wage bill.

Mallan at least gets an update on our website.

What’s wrong with Vela then, or are you just guessing he’s been injured for two months.

HoboHarry
15-01-2020, 06:18 PM
There's no relevance to your comment. It was us that gave him the contract.

Andy74
15-01-2020, 06:19 PM
I’d be happy to see if he can fit in under Ross.

I don’t see any reason to give the guy abuse.

SquashedFrogg
15-01-2020, 06:27 PM

Yeh I know. Imagine using that as an excuse when your actually injured.

matty_f
15-01-2020, 06:31 PM

Same here. I wonder why any Hibs player deserves abuse from Hibs supporters though.

Billy Whizz
15-01-2020, 06:36 PM

What’s wrong with Vela then, or are you just guessing he’s been injured for two months.

Ross said in Spain that he was injured, and had been for a few weeks

Dmas
15-01-2020, 06:40 PM
Same here. I wonder why any Hibs player deserves abuse from Hibs supporters though.

He’s not bothered his a**e since joining can’t surely expect the support to
Be delighted we’re now looking to him to cover Mallan surely

Pretty Boy
15-01-2020, 06:42 PM
I think the biggest problem for Vela is that he came with an air of expectation. People had heard of him, he was said to be in demand and his previous clubs fans were gutted to see him go. As of yet he hasn't come close to those expectations, whether they were justified or not.

Plenty players have passed through the doors at Hibs, not performed and not had the level of hostility Vela has but that's probably because little was expected of them anyway. I'd be surprised if Vela turns it around at Hibs but I don't think it's lack of effort on his part. He's not the first player to come to Scotland from down south with a reputation and struggle and he won't be the last.

Wee Scottie Dug
15-01-2020, 06:44 PM

It's a thigh muscle injury, not sure it merits a mention on our website in the same way as a medical operation does?:aok:

04Sauzee
15-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Hibs have reported he's injured. Nobody is guessing anything

The 90+2
15-01-2020, 06:45 PM
There's no relevance to your comment. It was us that gave him the contract.

My comment was more relevant than your reply. Vela was brought up because he’s a waste of a wage! Agreed?

04Sauzee
15-01-2020, 06:47 PM

I wonder if some people have ever cracked a smile. Mallan was getting it tight on Twitter, some folk.

dchibs
15-01-2020, 06:48 PM
Has he been shown the back door?:greengrin

jacomo
15-01-2020, 06:52 PM

Sure, but I am struggling to think of a single contribution he has made since joining Hibs. His displays have been utterly ineffectual... like Slivka on one of his worst days, but none of the redeeming qualities.

Robbo6-2
15-01-2020, 06:53 PM
I was hoping the new thread meant he was away :(

HoboHarry
15-01-2020, 06:55 PM
My comment was more relevant than your reply. Vela was brought up because he’s a waste of a wage! Agreed?
No I don't agree at all. It's been mentioned on here umpteen times that there were others who we collectively thought were useless until we had a change of manager and who showed up better once given a real chance. I'll reserve judgement until he's had that same chance or leaves in which case I'll wish him well. That probably won't fit with your agenda though so you bash on with the name calling and abuse of Hibs players.

J-C
15-01-2020, 07:02 PM
When Heckingbottom left, May immediately dropped Vela, there was no mention of an injury at that time and there was no mention of an injury even after Ross's first 2-3 games, suddenly the lad has a thigh injury which he's had since Nov 2nd., all a bit weird tbh.

Hibeesmad
15-01-2020, 07:06 PM
When Heckingbottom left, May immediately dropped Vela, there was no mention of an injury at that time and there was no mention of an injury even after Ross's first 2-3 games, suddenly the lad has a thigh injury which he's had since Nov 2nd., all a bit weird tbh.

Yep

CMurdoch
15-01-2020, 07:14 PM
It's a thigh muscle injury, not sure it merits a mention on our website in the same way as a medical operation does?:aok:

A thigh strain refers to an injury where the fibres in a quadriceps muscles are overstretched. Once the fibers are overstretched to a certain point, muscle tears occur. These can vary from a minor strain to a full thickness muscle tear.

In football, thigh strains often occur when the player is slowing down (decelerating) after a sprint, either because they are taking too small or too large steps.

Who saw him sprint?
What level injury do we think Josh has and how long will it take to fix?

Me, I think he has had a full body refurbishment and brain reset.
The guys at East Mains are just doin' the final tweaks before releasing back into Scottish football at the start of February.

The Velameister returns and this times it's serious!

The 90+2
15-01-2020, 07:17 PM
Hibs have reported he's injured. Nobody is guessing anything

Where about?

The 90+2
15-01-2020, 07:19 PM

I can’t remember the injury news on Vela when it was discovered he had strained his thigh. Two and a half months later we all knew all along.

ElginHibbie
15-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Where about?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/jack-ross-gives-update-hibs-midfielder-josh-vela-1357655

we are hibs
15-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Pretty invisible everytime hes been on the park other than a 5 minute spell against hearts in and around when we went 1 up in september. Not sure hes got the heart for it from what i have seen. If we can move him on then we should imo.

The 90+2
15-01-2020, 07:21 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/jack-ross-gives-update-hibs-midfielder-josh-vela-1357655

That was last week. He’s been out since the start of November.

So you meant it’s been reported two months after not being seen since Hecky got punted 👍

blackpoolhibs
15-01-2020, 07:23 PM
I don't think we will see him again in a Hibs top, and to be honest that would be best all round in my opinion.

I;ve never seen someone come in as poor as he is, especially as he came with a bit of a reputation as a decent signing.

I watch him and think to myself, do you even want to be playing football for us, as for me he doesn't want to get involved in the games, and looks as if he wants to be nowhere near where the ball is most of the time.

If the Shinnie rumour is right, then what an upgrade that would be if we could get him out the door and Shinnie in.

jacomo
15-01-2020, 07:24 PM
I can’t remember the injury news on Vela when it was discovered he had strained his thigh. Two and a half months later we all knew all along.

JR says in the EEN article it only happened a couple of games ago.

04Sauzee

So you meant it’s been reported two months after not being seen since Hecky got punted 👍

I said it was reported why he wasn't away 👍

ElginHibbie

Just showing you what the club has said, no need to get all touchy

CMurdoch
15-01-2020, 07:26 PM
If the strain is a small one (grade one) you’ll be on the sidelines for just seven to 10 days, but if the fibres are more damaged (grade two) expect to be in charge of the half-time oranges for anything between two and eight weeks. A grade three thigh strain is very serious, with the treatment table time eight weeks or more.

Vela hasn't been seen for 10 weeks.
His leg must've been hingin' off!

lord bunberry
15-01-2020, 07:38 PM
Hopefully the guy can come back and show he’s a good player under Ross. I’m sure he’ll get the chance as I can’t see anyone wanting him based on what he’s done so far. Maybe he’d be better in a different position/tactics than he had under heckingbottom.

Billy Whizz
15-01-2020, 07:39 PM
Hopefully the guy can come back and show he’s a good player under Ross. I’m sure he’ll get the chance as I can’t see anyone wanting him based on what he’s done so far. Maybe he’d be better in a different position/tactics than he had under heckingbottom.

Maybe if he’s gets played in his best position, may help his performances

lord bunberry
15-01-2020, 07:44 PM
Maybe if he’s gets played in his best position, may help his performances
Hopefully that’s all he needs. It’s in everyone’s best interest to have him performing well and playing every week. He’d be like a new signing if he comes back and plays well.

dchibs
15-01-2020, 07:48 PM
I don't think we will see him again in a Hibs top, and to be honest that would be best all round in my opinion.

I;ve never seen someone come in as poor as he is, especially as he came with a bit of a reputation as a decent signing.

I watch him and think to myself, do you even want to be playing football for us, as for me he doesn't want to get involved in the games, and looks as if he wants to be nowhere near where the ball is most of the time.

If the Shinnie rumour is right, then what an upgrade that would be if we could get him out the door and Shinnie in.

would love if we got Shinnie he's like two player's rolled into one, well one player and one refaree.:greengrin

Sweet Left Peg
15-01-2020, 07:49 PM
What's the Shinnie rumour then?

04Sauzee
15-01-2020, 07:53 PM
What's the Shinnie rumour then?

He's injured i believe and was a regulator starter before being injured. Don't see him going anywhere

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50591285

J-C
15-01-2020, 08:12 PM
JR says in the EEN article it only happened a couple of games ago.

Couple = 10 because that's the last time he's been seen.

Pretty Boy
15-01-2020, 08:21 PM

I think Ross did say a while ago that Vela had been unlucky in that he wasn't in the side when he took over and he didn't want to come in and change a winning team. The injury story came later.

Fwiw I don't think we have heard the full story around his lengthy absence. He disappeared after his horror show at Hampden, not really a surprise, but to not even be quoted since is just odd. He was far from the only player underperforming at that time. Pretty much anyone could have been made the scapegoat.

ElginHibbie
15-01-2020, 08:22 PM

There is an interview from December that doesn't mention any injury, so whatever happened between Heckingbottom leaving and then is a mystery but imagine he got injured soon after

Greenbeard
15-01-2020, 10:15 PM
He's powder puff
Doesn't like it rough
Hasn't shown enough
And sure ain't tough
We need sterner stuff
Than this bit of fluff
Is that all guff?
Or is he just plain duff?

Northernhibee
15-01-2020, 10:52 PM
I really want him to come good. There is a very good player in there.

FilipinoHibs
15-01-2020, 11:04 PM
I really want him to come good. There is a very good player in there.

Agree saw signs away to Aberdeen and Celtic at home. You don't play that many games in the Championship without being a reasonable player.

SteveHFC
15-01-2020, 11:30 PM
Deserves another chance.

Allant1981
16-01-2020, 05:14 AM
Vela is no where near as bad as some make out on here. He came in unfit, didnt play well and the team weren't playing well at all. Did anyone really look that much better than him(possibly allan) get him fit and let him show the new manager what he can do, if JR doesnt rate him then move him on in the summer

green day
16-01-2020, 05:40 AM
Vela is no where near as bad as some make out on here. He came in unfit, didnt play well and the team weren't playing well at all. Did anyone really look that much better than him(possibly allan) get him fit and let him show the new manager what he can do, if JR doesnt rate him then move him on in the summer

He signed in July. How long does a motivated professional footballer need to get up to speed?

Contrast with Boyle - recurrence of knee problem in July, into rehab etc and back in October, fully up to speed by December, voted POTM.

I have never thought Vela is a crap footballer, but maybe a good footballer with a crap attitude (to being at Hibs).

Smartie
16-01-2020, 05:53 AM
Did he not have quite a lot of injury problems at Bolton?

Maybe he was still not fully fit after those problems? Maybe he never will be?

He gets a clean slate from me, given how much the likes of Doidge and Newell improved during the 2nd quarter of the season.

JimBHibees
16-01-2020, 05:58 AM

Agree he isn't as bad however there have been a number of occasions when he has let himself down jogging back into position and then half heartedly getting nick for Derby winner. Being skinned at hampden then jogging back then subbed at half time. Turning back and not closing when Ross county scored in last minute. He wasn't at all the only one however he certainly contributed significantly to the weakness of our midfield. Looks like he has some talent and could be better under Ross but personally think parting of the ways better for both parties.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Agree he isn't as bad however there have been a number of occasions when he has let himself down jogging back into position and then half heartedly getting nick for Derby winner. Being skinned at hampden then jogging back then subbed at half time. Turning back and not closing when Ross county scored in last minute. He wasn't at all the only one however he certainly contributed significantly to the weakness of our midfield. Looks like he has some talent and could be better under Ross but personally think parting of the ways better for both parties.

Did he not win the ball to set up Mallans goal in that same derby?

JimBHibees
16-01-2020, 06:16 AM
Did he not win the ball to set up Mallans goal in that same derby?

Yes he did and has done well in spells but generally imo has been disappointing

Allant1981
16-01-2020, 06:37 AM
He signed in July. How long does a motivated professional footballer need to get up to speed?

Contrast with Boyle - recurrence of knee problem in July, into rehab etc and back in October, fully up to speed by December, voted POTM.

I have never thought Vela is a crap footballer, but maybe a good footballer with a crap attitude (to being at Hibs).

I meant get him fit now seeing as he is injured

Since452
16-01-2020, 07:02 AM
I gave him MOTM against Celtic at ER. There is a player there there's no doubt. Some players take longer to settle. Everyone is different. The guy was at Bolton since he was a young kid. Moving up to Edinburgh to a new league is a big change. I've not written him off just yet. Big chance for him now with Mallan out

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2020, 07:06 AM
Yes he did and has done well in spells but generally imo has been disappointing

As did many of the first team under our previous manager.

I'd prefer to judge him fully fit and in a Ross team, playing in a system/position that suits him, before writing him off. Same with James. Vela played at times as a number 10 at Bolton and done well by all accounts.

Many players have looked suspect early in the ER careers and come good. No reason in my mind why he can't either.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2020, 07:08 AM
I gave him MOTM against Celtic at ER. There is a player there there's no doubt. Some players take longer to settle. Everyone is different. The guy was at Bolton since he was a young kid. Moving up to Edinburgh to a new league is a big change. I've not written him off just yet. Big chance for him now with Mallan out

He was very good against Celtic that day.

JimBHibees
16-01-2020, 08:57 AM
As did many of the first team under our previous manager.

I'd prefer to judge him fully fit and in a Ross team, playing in a system/position that suits him, before writing him off. Same with James. Vela played at times as a number 10 at Bolton and done well by all accounts.

Many players have looked suspect early in the ER careers and come good. No reason in my mind why he can't either.

Do we have the time to wait and see if he does?

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Do we have the time to wait and see if he does?

Yes. He signed a long term deal.

Renfrew_Hibby
16-01-2020, 09:20 AM
I couldn't care less if there's 'a player in there' if he hasn't got the correct attitude. If he were to think he's just up here to pick up a wage and that it's only a pub league then so what, then he can do one!

Im not saying he is thinking that but we do know that Scottish football and indeed Scotland in general is regarded as some sort of distant backwater and for some players that come up here from England, subconsciously at least, these thoughts are there.

Northernhibee
16-01-2020, 09:36 AM
I couldn't care less if there's 'a player in there' if he hasn't got the correct attitude. If he were to think he's just up here to pick up a wage and that it's only a pub league then so what, then he can do one!

Im not saying he is thinking that but we do know that Scottish football and indeed Scotland in general is regarded as some sort of distant backwater and for some players that come up here from England, subconsciously at least, these thoughts are there.

There's no evidence that's the case, the best thing to do is to let him come back, give him a chance (FWIW I'd have Joe Newell in my starting eleven now and we had people on here saying he wasn't even lowland league level) and go from there.

It clearly wasn't an easy team to do well in early this season so he deserves a clean slate like everyone else. He's not had a Matt Doherty moment so I think we have to take it at face value.

MrRobot
16-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Would like to see him get a shot under Ross before moving him on, if thats the clubs intention.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Not really sure how to discuss your point any further tbh.

Quite incredible.

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2020, 10:25 AM
There might be a player in there that others have seen when playing for Bolton, but as a Hibs player we've not seen that player.

JR has not picked him, Eddie May dropped him straight away when we got rid of the last clown. Apparently he's injured now and still at the club, if JR can get him playing well then good, but in my opinion, i dont see that happening.

Brooster
17-01-2020, 05:24 PM
There might be a player in there that others have seen when playing for Bolton, but as a Hibs player we've not seen that player.

JR has not picked him, Eddie May dropped him straight away when we got rid of the last clown. Apparently he's injured now and still at the club, if JR can get him playing well then good, but in my opinion, i dont see that happening.

Absolutely spot on. I can't figure out how some people think "there's a player in there'. He is garbage.

Dunbar Hibee
17-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Absolutely spot on. I can't figure out how some people think "there's a player in there'. He is garbage.

Agreed. With the heart of a mouse too.

sean04
17-01-2020, 05:34 PM
Wouldn’t mind seeing him under Ross, Really has to perform to save his career

JimBHibees
18-01-2020, 08:31 AM
Yes. He signed a long term deal.

Other option is moving him on and getting better value from someone else.

Andy74
18-01-2020, 08:35 AM
Agreed. With the heart of a mouse too.

This continues to one of the most pathetic things people say on here.

J-C
18-01-2020, 08:35 AM
Other option is moving him on and getting better value from someone else.

Only bonus in all this was he was a free agent so only cost us a signing on fee, I'd assume we'd be happy to allow him to go.

J-C
18-01-2020, 08:38 AM

I agree but he's one of those players who runs around a lot without actually doing anything, like a janitor with a screwdriver and a cloth, always looks like he's working

green day
18-01-2020, 08:41 AM
I agree but he's one of those players who runs around a lot without actually doing anything, like a janitor with a screwdriver and a cloth, always looks like he's working

:greengrin:top marks

tamig
18-01-2020, 10:26 AM

Agreed. See it so many times. Newell had it plastered all over him for weeks.

blackpoolhibs
18-01-2020, 10:38 AM

:faf: :top marks

Hibeesmad
20-01-2020, 04:11 PM
Yeh I know. Imagine using that as an excuse when your actually injured.

Wonder if he will play for Shrewsbury this week.

DetroitHibs
20-01-2020, 04:46 PM

Really is.... I’ve seen many a mouse with the heart of a lion :greengrin