PDA

View Full Version : Oli Shaw. S Fletcher

familyman
15-01-2020, 07:52 AM
Youth is our future, no doubt we need a better balance between youth and experience.In the continuing absence of any sign of money for first team appearing
Old seems to me to not be there just yet and maybe won't make it through BUT if you recall Stephen Fletcher in his early days..he was skinny and fell down a lot being easily pushed over..never looking the part in early days
he obviously went into the gym and weight training transformed him.in a totally different player. .I believe Oli can become a similar player why not?
Going out on loan is not necessarily the answer in itself.
A player that gives 100% is one we need to hold on to.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 08:09 AM
Fletcher had technical ability as a teenager Shaw could only dream of.

Since452
15-01-2020, 08:11 AM
Appreciate what you're saying but in Fletchers case he was just a far more naturally gifted player than Shaw imo and that's not a dig at Shaw in the slightest. Fletcher was class. You just knew he was quality soon as he broke through at 17

bigwheel
15-01-2020, 08:18 AM
Fletcher by Shaw’s age was already a fully fledged first team regular..with many scouts watching him ..

Shaw doesn’t have the physical dynamics that Fletcher had - perhaps a more natural goal
Scorer though ?

DH1875
15-01-2020, 08:21 AM
? Their not even close. Think Oli is 21 so any growing and bulking up, he better get a move on.

hibbysam
15-01-2020, 08:30 AM
Youth is our future, no doubt we need a better balance between youth and experience.In the continuing absence of any sign of money for first team appearing
Old seems to me to not be there just yet and maybe won't make it through BUT if you recall Stephen Fletcher in his early days..he was skinny and fell down a lot being easily pushed over..never looking the part in early days
he obviously went into the gym and weight training transformed him.in a totally different player. .I believe Oli can become a similar player why not?
Going out on loan is not necessarily the answer in itself.
A player that gives 100% is one we need to hold on to.

Here we go again, a lot of people have serious memory loss regards Fletch. His left peg was a wand and he could score from anywhere, right from the age of 16 when I started watching him. He could score with his head, he was intelligent and forced his way into one of our best sides in years, at the age of 17/18 before becoming a regular.

Scouse Hibee
15-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Shaw will never be in Fletchers class, there is simply no comparison.

SquashedFrogg
15-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Fletcher had technical ability as a teenager Shaw could only dream of.

He had the technical ability most players in our league could only dream of.

Barman Stanton
15-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Strangely I remember Fletcher getting a fair amount of criticism. Especially when he was played out left. Even after scoring 2 goals in the League Cup final, he was never really liked as much as other home grown strikers like O'Connor and Riordan.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 08:53 AM
Shaw is nearly 22 and it's nearly a year since his last competitive goal for hibs. Time for him to go.

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 09:14 AM
? Their not even close. Think Oli is 21 so any growing and bulking up, he better get a move on.

Aye because once he hits 22 it's all downhill.

Doesn't need bulking up, we're not Hearts. Needs 40 games a season and he'll be a really solid player for someone. Maybe not us but he's definitely good enough to get 10/12 goals a year in this league.

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 09:15 AM
Shaw is nearly 22 and it's nearly a year since his last competitive goal for hibs. Time for him to go.

How many games has he played in that time? Really daft stat. He had a perfectly good one ruled out in the league cup this season too.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 09:19 AM
How many games has he played in that time? Really daft stat. He had a perfectly good one ruled out in the league cup this season too.

The fact he has hardly played is hardly a great defence, he's not being picked for a reason! Not good enough

SquashedFrogg
15-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Love how a player aged 21 is written off 😂

For me needs a run of games and a little patience from the fans.

we are hibs
15-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Theres a reason he hasnt started much for over a year now. Its not all down to the managers, hes obviously not doing enough in training.

greenlex
15-01-2020, 09:32 AM
I don’t get the Shaw debate. He isn’t a skinny laddie and has strength. Like all young players he could and will get stronger. He knows where the net is but can’t do it sitting on the bench. Given a run of games he will score regularly. I don’t get the rush to get rid of him to be honest.

The Modfather
15-01-2020, 09:38 AM
I don’t get the Shaw debate. He isn’t a skinny laddie and has strength. Like all young players he could and will get stronger. He knows where the net is but can’t do it sitting on the bench. Given a run of games he will score regularly. I don’t get the rush to get rid of him to be honest.

He’s not contributed in a long time and been little more than a squad filler, whether that’s been fair or not. I actually think he’d have been given less patience from the support if he hadn’t have come through the youth system and had been a signing. He’s not the main problem, and many many more I’d move on before him, but a 3rd choice striker contributing effectively nothing seems like a good candidate to move on and get a replacement who will contribute more.

Nicho87
15-01-2020, 09:48 AM
Shaw has never been good enough.
Not being nasty but if your good enough your ole enough.
Same goes for Murray, Mackie, gullan, if not good enough they should be punted.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 09:53 AM
Love how a player aged 21 is written off 😂

For me needs a run of games and a little patience from the fans.
If he deserved a run of games he would get them.

calumhibee1
15-01-2020, 10:13 AM
If he deserved a run of games he would get them.

Pretty much how I see it. We always hear how he hasn’t had a chance and so can’t score goals without one but the managers have obviously decided he hasn’t done enough to get an opportunity.

With that in mind, it’s probably time to move him on.

GreenArmyyy!
15-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Two different players that were light years apart in ability, Fletcher was on Real Madrid’s “young players to watch” list for crying out loud.

Shaw seems a nice kid with the right attitude for the game but he’s a bottom 6 SPFL player at best IMO. Not good enough for a club that should have European aspirations.

DH1875
15-01-2020, 10:33 AM
Aye because once he hits 22 it's all downhill.

Doesn't need bulking up, we're not Hearts. Needs 40 games a season and he'll be a really solid player for someone. Maybe not us but he's definitely good enough to get 10/12 goals a year in this league.

I was talking in relation to comments made in the opening post and about the comparison with Fletcher.
If your talking about Oli in his own right then sorry, there's a reason he's not getting the games. He's simply not good enough and should have been moved on a while ago.

Northernhibee
15-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Shaw has never been good enough.
Not being nasty but if your good enough your ole enough.
Same goes for Murray, Mackie, gullan, if not good enough they should be punted.

Last time he got a consistent run he scored goals and looked useful. To say he's never been good enough is completely untrue.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 10:42 AM
Last time he got a consistent run he scored goals and looked useful. To say he's never been good enough is completely untrue.

McNulty came in and took his place and we shot up the league. He wasn't good enough then or now.

Northernhibee
15-01-2020, 10:48 AM
McNulty came in and took his place and we shot up the league. He wasn't good enough then or now.

So it was Oli Shaw's fault that we were struggling?

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 10:56 AM
So it was Oli Shaw's fault that we were struggling?
Partly, but the fact we were so much better when he was replaced and has barely been seen since says it all.

Northernhibee
15-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Partly, but the fact we were so much better when he was replaced and has barely been seen since says it all.

Bizarre.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 11:14 AM
Bizarre.

Well if he played every game in our bad run that led to Lennon leaving us in 8th place then he wasn't responsible at all? Absolutely bizarre!

lyonhibs
15-01-2020, 11:22 AM
If we're seeking to be consistently top 4 etc, I don't see Olí Shaw getting the game time in that team that he would need/be wanting.

Loan for now or sell IMO. When's his contract up?

Lago
15-01-2020, 11:37 AM
Here we go again, a lot of people have serious memory loss regards Fletch. His left peg was a wand and he could score from anywhere, right from the age of 16 when I started watching him. He could score with his head, he was intelligent and forced his way into one of our best sides in years, at the age of 17/18 before becoming a regular.

Spot on👍

Col L
15-01-2020, 11:43 AM
Steven Fletcher was in a different class to Oli and comparisons are not going to do Shaw any favours.

I think maybe people are getting a bit carried away with Oli's two goals last week. I really hope he does kick on and become a success for us but I have my doubts.

Like many young strikers, he came in and had an immediate impact, then struggled a bit when he was no longer an unknown and defenders knew how to dominate him.

I'm afraid I don't place him anywhere near the bracket of guys like Deeks, O'Connor, Griffiths and Fletcher, although I'd honestly love him to go and prove me wrong.

allezsauzee
15-01-2020, 12:00 PM
While not in Fletch's class, I think there is a decent player in there. He needs his confidence built up as much as anything else and will needs a decent run of games though so that he feels like he's a first choice striker that won't be dropped to the bench if he misses a few chances. He won't get that at Hibs though so he needs to go on loan.

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 12:03 PM

That isn't true. He took McLaren's place.

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 12:05 PM

Does it? You're surely not daft enough to judge a player on that? Thank goodness you're not a scout.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 12:17 PM
That isn't true. He took McLaren's place.

Maclaren hardly played, Shaw played most or all of the games leading to Lennon's departure, McNulty came in took his starting spot and not only improved kamberi but our results also.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Does it? You're surely not daft enough to judge a player on that? Thank goodness you're not a scout.

Why has he not been seen? Serious question? Thank God you aren't picking the team. Stick to wishing an Aberdeen player scores against hibs!

jacomo
15-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Appreciate what you're saying but in Fletchers case he was just a far more naturally gifted player than Shaw imo and that's not a dig at Shaw in the slightest. Fletcher was class. You just knew he was quality soon as he broke through at 17

:agree:

This is true, although he still needed first team experience to develop. Fletcher often played wide initially, as it was recognised he wasn’t yet strong enough to play centre forward.

familyman
15-01-2020, 12:35 PM
I am not saying Old is as gifted as Fletcher and for sure his ball control lacks something but I still think weights would help ...Fletcher certainly had his critics early days always loosing his footing I clearly recall he was easily pushed over when very young..
whatever Hibs decide I wish Oli well in his career......players that show 100% should not be discarded without careful thought first.
:flag:

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 12:37 PM
I am not saying Old is as gifted as Fletcher and for sure his ball control lacks something but I still think weights would help ...Fletcher certainly had his critics early days always loosing his footing I clearly recall he was easily pushed over when very young..
whatever Hibs decide I wish Oli well in his career......players that show 100% should not be discarded without careful thought first.
:flag:

Out of interest what players don't give 100 percent? Surely trying hard is the minimum requirement?

Keith_M
15-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Strangely I remember Fletcher getting a fair amount of criticism. Especially when he was played out left. Even after scoring 2 goals in the League Cup final, he was never really liked as much as other home grown strikers like O'Connor and Riordan.

I remember the amount of stick he used to get for moving the ball to his favoured left foot, and people went on about 'one footed players never being good enough'.

wookie70
15-01-2020, 12:54 PM
His development has stalled and a decision needs to be made one way or the other. I think he could be a player for us but he hasn't started a league game for over a year and has only played 282 mins of league football in the last year scoring two and assisting with two goals all of which came when he was given a decent run of 40 minutes or so. He is a very productive player when given a chance. He hasn't been given anywhere near enough game time in my opinion considering Boyler's injury and large chunks of time where Flo and Doidge have been poor.

Barman Stanton
15-01-2020, 12:56 PM

I remember the amount of stick he used to get for moving the ball to his favoured left foot, and people went on about 'one footed players never being good enough'.

A pretty large element of our support are really not happy unless they are complaining. Always been the case as long as I can remember.

PH91
15-01-2020, 01:06 PM
I can't make up my mind about Shaw as I haven't seen him play consistently enough to give him a fair judgement.

That's 2 managers now, however, who have worked with him every day and he hasn't even managed to push himself into regular appearances from the bench, even when our regular strikers were off form. I get the feeling that he will be allowed to leave either now or in the not too distant future.

I personally would like to see him loaned out for the rest of the season to a championship team, preferably one at the top end who will create chances for him, and see if he can gain some confidence before returning in the summer.

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Why has he not been seen? Serious question? Thank God you aren't picking the team. Stick to wishing an Aberdeen player scores against hibs!

Wait, you don't know why he hasn't been picked but are judging him purely on that? Very daft. I don't know, I usually judge players on their performances, easier that judging them when they aren't playing :faf:

I don't wish an Aberdeen player scores against Hibs, I've never said that. Wrong again (shocker)

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 04:26 PM
Maclaren hardly played, Shaw played most or all of the games leading to Lennon's departure, McNulty came in took his starting spot and not only improved kamberi but our results also.

So maclaren left and McNulty joined? Sounds like a replacement to me. Shaw actually had some decent games around that time. Important goals Vs Hamilton and St Mirren. Cracker Vs Aberdeen.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Wait, you don't know why he hasn't been picked but are judging him purely on that? Very daft. I don't know, I usually judge players on their performances, easier that judging them when they aren't playing :faf:

I don't wish an Aberdeen player scores against Hibs, I've never said that. Wrong again (shocker)
Dodging the question haha what a surprise! I'll ask again, why would a player who has been fit hardly been seen in a year, especially when the team have hardly been great? You said you wished McGeouch would put one in the top bin against us, a comment plenty on here pulled you up about, not to mention being delighted at thousands of fans being locked out the Livingston game.

supermcginn
15-01-2020, 04:39 PM
So maclaren left and McNulty joined? Sounds like a replacement to me. Shaw actually had some decent games around that time. Important goals Vs Hamilton and St Mirren. Cracker Vs Aberdeen.

You know fine well he took Shaw's place in the team, and how we got on after that :faf::faf:

Onceinawhile
15-01-2020, 05:07 PM

Remember a game at Hamilton where he was roundly booed for missing a presentable chance at 0-0. Tickets were only a £5 and my geordie mate who came along couldn't understand why Fletcher was getting abuse.

Scored the winner not too long after as well.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1159602/Hamilton-0-Hibernian-1-Late-Fletcher-strike-gives-Mixu-light-relief.html

MWHIBBIES
15-01-2020, 06:17 PM
Dodging the question haha what a surprise! I'll ask again, why would a player who has been fit hardly been seen in a year, especially when the team have hardly been great? You said you wished McGeouch would put one in the top bin against us, a comment plenty on here pulled you up about, not to mention being delighted at thousands of fans being locked out the Livingston game.
Right, go find where I said that about MCGeouch. I definitely did not say that and you know I didn't. One guy ''pulled me up'' about it as well. Don't talk utter rubbish.

I don't know why he hasn't been playing, certainly isn't related to his performances before being dropped IMO

You know fine well he took Shaw's place in the team, and how we got on after that :faf::faf:

So he replaced MacLaren then? Shaw scored 7 goals last season, Mcnulty got 8. Hardly some MASSIVE upgrade. The new manager and Gray definitely made more impact than switching Shaw for McNulty.

Andy74
15-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Amazing how some players need a run of games after about 4 yrs whilst others manage to get on our worst ever lists after less than a dozen games.

Shaw is a strange one. Has some ability but seems to be something missing.

Being a Hibs centre forward should mean something so no harm in a young local player not quite being up to it.

The Modfather
15-01-2020, 06:29 PM
As well as having a clear pathway to the first team and actually giving youngsters the game time that is needed. I think we also need to be more ruthless in moving on youngsters who have been around for a long time and not kicked on after initial promise.

Stanton, Handling & Harris were all kept longer than they should have been IMO. I think we’re also now past the time to move Murray & Shaw on. Although all might have valid grounds for complaint about how their progression was managed. Be it coming into a shambles of a club, or not being given the game time needed to progress.

CMurdoch
15-01-2020, 08:06 PM
Fletcher had and has wonderful technique so no slight on Shaw and therefore a pointless and unfair comparison.

Shaw's development has stalled. Not his fault, just not quite good or strong enough to be a Hibs striker at the moment.
I would suggest none of us on here know his current level due to a lack of consistent game time over the last 12 months.

Next step is getting the likes of McNulty in and allowing Shaw to go on loan.
St Johnstone should be knocking Hibs door down to get him on loan.
Their strikers are appalling and I reckon Oli could make his mark there.
A bit of success, a bit more experience and he might just be ready for us in August.

Alfred E Newman
15-01-2020, 08:56 PM

He is not going to score many goals sitting in the stand or on the bench.

my left peg
15-01-2020, 09:12 PM
He is not going to score many goals sitting in the stand or on the bench.IMO shaw is a better player than doidge,and if given as much game time would have scored more goals,but if you pay a whack of cash for a striker then you have to play him,which is what heckingbottom did,Lennon hung him out to dry,playing him upfront on his own and partnered with Lewis Allan who was like playing a man short ,just to scunner Kamberi.
For the sake of Shaws career he either gets a run of games now ,or he gets a move to a club where he will play.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Andy74
15-01-2020, 09:31 PM
IMO shaw is a better player than doidge,and if given as much game time would have scored more goals,but if you pay a whack of cash for a striker then you have to play him,which is what heckingbottom did,Lennon hung him out to dry,playing him upfront on his own and partnered with Lewis Allan who was like playing a man short ,just to scunner Kamberi.
For the sake of Shaws career he either gets a run of games now ,or he gets a move to a club where he will play.

Eh, no.

my left peg
15-01-2020, 09:40 PM
Eh, no.

What,you think doidge is better than shaw...fair enough, he did get a big move to Bolton,but from what I’ve seen,he is less than convincing,though I’m always going to be more biased to players coming through the academy.
Or you think Shaw wasn’t hung out to dry by Lennon playing upfront on his own or with a Lewis Allan.
Or you think that Shaw doesn’t need a run of games or a move to another club....can’t be all of the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
15-01-2020, 10:03 PM
Fletcher was a class act

Yes he got criticism early doors because everything had to be on his left peg and he was easily shoved off the ba initially but he grew up with the golden generation and he had the same swagger and confidence in his own ability that they had and he learned from his peers playing along side the likes of Deeks Broonie and Thomson and like them if he got knocked down he bounced up and went back for more

That 2007 League Cup Final side was some team

I do not remember him as being an out and out striker maybe playing on the left as part of a midfield or a front two or three up front with a sweet left foot and could take a mean direct free kick

By 19 he had scored two goals for HIBS in a National Cup Final going on to be capped by Scotland 33 times scoring 10 goals and being sold to Burnley for 3m He would eventually total 21.5 m in transfer fees

Fletcher and Olly Shaw are two totally different players

Yes Fletcher is now employed as an out and out striker and if Olly can be half as good he will be doing well

easty
15-01-2020, 10:04 PM
IMO shaw is a better player than doidge,and if given as much game time would have scored more goals,but if you pay a whack of cash for a striker then you have to play him,which is what heckingbottom did,Lennon hung him out to dry,playing him upfront on his own and partnered with Lewis Allan who was like playing a man short ,just to scunner Kamberi.

Jack Ross isn’t picking Doidge ahead of Shaw because we paid for him.

Doidge is the better player.

my left peg
15-01-2020, 10:19 PM
Jack Ross isn’t picking Doidge ahead of Shaw because we paid for him.

Doidge is the better player.You could well be right....but we wont know for sure until Shaw either gets a run of games,or gets another club,I thought Doidge did well in the second half at tynecastle,holding the ball up and winning fouls, but yet to see why Bolton agreed to pay seven figures for him or we paid such a large amount of our budget towards securing him.

Andy74
15-01-2020, 10:32 PM
What,you think doidge is better than shaw...fair enough, he did get a big move to Bolton,but from what I’ve seen,he is less than convincing,though I’m always going to be more biased to players coming through the academy.
Or you think Shaw wasn’t hung out to dry by Lennon playing upfront on his own or with a Lewis Allan.
Or you think that Shaw doesn’t need a run of games or a move to another club....can’t be all of the above.

It can be all of the above.

my left peg
15-01-2020, 10:39 PM
It can be all of the above.

If he isn’t going to get a game for hibs,then he needs a move to another club....and there seem to be plenty teams looking to give him a chance. It doesn’t make any sense to say otherwise,unless your opinion is he should just give up on the game.

Keyser Sauzee
15-01-2020, 11:30 PM
The best thing for Shaw would be a loan till the end of the season at either St Johnstone, St Mirren or Hamilton in the Premiership or any of the championship teams looking to get promoted so he can get a run of games together which is highly unlikely he will get with us. After which time we can properly judge if he has it to make the grade at ER.

Allant1981
16-01-2020, 05:12 AM
Shaw needs to leave if he wants a decent career in football, the previous 2 managers and the current manager havent gave him a run of games or even a decent amount of game time so he clearly cant be good enough or doing enough in training. We need better than shaw if we want to push on

Gypsy King
16-01-2020, 09:38 AM

The Shaw and Fletcher comparison is a non starter.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think you are right.

Phil MaGlass
17-01-2020, 05:05 AM
Hes only 22, still years left in him, needs a run I think, type of player if we let go will come back to haunt us. Start him more regularly, there´s a goalscorer there, can we really afford to be letting him go?

Since452
17-01-2020, 05:22 AM
Craig Whighton would be a better comparison for Oli rather than Fletcher. A player of similar age and goals that they signed and are now trying to empty. For me he's had enough chances to stake a claim. Wish him well but if we need to get rid of players to bring more in then he should be one of them. Seems to be getting more slack because he's come through the system.

JimBHibees
17-01-2020, 06:12 AM
So he replaced MacLaren then? Shaw scored 7 goals last season, Mcnulty got 8. Hardly some MASSIVE upgrade. The new manager and Gray definitely made more impact than switching Shaw for McNulty.

Difference being of course McNulty was only here for 4 months.

MWHIBBIES
17-01-2020, 06:32 AM
Difference being of course McNulty was only here for 4 months.

Only 200 minutes of actual game time more from Shaw though. Very little between them if they both started every week. Shaw also didn't take penalties.

JimBHibees
17-01-2020, 06:36 AM
Only 200 minutes of actual game time more from Shaw though. Very little between them if they both started every week. Shaw also didn't take penalties.

Didn't take penalties and also nowhere near the quality of player. McNulty brought us much more than goals in many cases playing up front on his own.

supermcginn
17-01-2020, 06:48 AM
Didn't take penalties and also nowhere near the quality of player. McNulty brought us much more than goals in many cases playing up front on his own.

Exactly, McNulty's all round play, movement, pace and linking up with others was absolutely streets ahead.

Sioux
17-01-2020, 10:40 AM
The bottom line is that Shaw has been around the first team for three seasons. He hasn't convinced three managers that he should be a regular starter. Therefore he's not good enough to be a regular starter. It's not anyone's fault, its just the way it goes.

Any player who has been around a first team squad and uses the excuse that "I didn't get enough games" is a chancer. For the sake of clarity, I'm not aware of Shaw ever having that type of attitude.

Woodrow
17-01-2020, 09:06 PM
Oil Shaw & Steven Fletcher - Craig Leveins a gambling welcher ?

Woodrow
17-01-2020, 09:08 PM
Oil Shaw & Steven Fletcher - Craig Leveins a gambling welcher ?

dirty felcher ?

Andy74
17-01-2020, 10:53 PM
Hes only 22, still years left in him, needs a run I think, type of player if we let go will come back to haunt us. Start him more regularly, there´s a goalscorer there, can we really afford to be letting him go?

How many young players that haven’t made it have come back to haunt us?

Smartie
17-01-2020, 11:40 PM

John Robertson?

jacomo
18-01-2020, 08:19 AM

Paul Hartley is one, although the list is quite short.

calumhibee1
18-01-2020, 08:32 AM

Doidge was the leagues player of the month recently where as Shaw will struggle to get in any starting 11s in this league imo.

Eyrie
18-01-2020, 08:52 AM

Very, very few which is why we have a midfield of Allan, Hallberg, Omeonga and Boyle instead of regretting the departures of Danny Handling, Scott Martin, Sam Stanton and Alex Harris.

greenlex
18-01-2020, 09:59 PM

Stanton nailed on to do it tomorrow.

franck sauzee
19-01-2020, 12:56 AM
Oli Shaw, Steven Fletcher...

... Craig Levein's a filthy lecher