PDA

View Full Version : Who is the better signing: Doidge or Shankland?

Pages : [1] 2

Spike Mandela
11-01-2020, 04:20 PM
Both could be influential in the game next week. Who got the better deal, us or Utd.

Shankland has the goals tally but at a lower level, whilst Doidge has come through a slow start to get vital goals and show some great hold up play. Will be interesting to compare them.

The Count
11-01-2020, 04:27 PM
One on one on the keeper i would back Shankland judging by what i have seen.Overall leading the line probably our man.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 04:30 PM
Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
11-01-2020, 04:34 PM
Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

You never miss the chance to have a pop, eh?

Billy Dodds said on the radio that he spoke to shankland at the end of the season and nobody from any club in any league had spoken to his agent.

Dundee Utd were the only club to take a chance on him.

So, in hindsight it was probably an error - but embarrassing? I dont think so.

hhibs
11-01-2020, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=Ozyhibby;6041446]Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

Yes,but there were alleged "issues" surrounding him, it is rumoured :confused:

NC1875
11-01-2020, 04:38 PM

Billy Dodds said on the radio that he spoke to shankland at the end of the season and nobody from any club in any league had spoken to his agent.

Scoring goals for fun. Cheap compared to Doidge considering no transfer fee. Doidge has scored a few but I genuinely think his finishing looks terrible.

Different players though. They Could probably do well as a 2.

weecounty hibby
11-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Only one of them has scored goals in the Scottish premier League

Centre Hawf
11-01-2020, 04:40 PM

It is embarrassing then if we never even contacted him. The man was banging in goals for fun at a level a lot of our best players in recent years were also playing in and we should have went for him asap.

In regards to the OP's question there is zero doubt in my mind that Shankland is a better striker than Doidge. Doidge has hit a few goals recently but I'm still far from sold on him to justify why we spent a hefty fee on him.

tonyrougier123
11-01-2020, 04:40 PM
Both could be influential in the game next week. Who got the better deal, us or Utd.

Shankland has the goals tally but at a lower level, whilst Doidge has come through a slow start to get vital goals and show some great hold up play. Will be interesting to compare them.

Big doidge will hit a treble against them next week!!
Mark my words 💚💚💚

Gordy M
11-01-2020, 04:46 PM

Only one club spoke to the agent. Sorry dont believe that. He is rumoured to be on over 5k a week and no competition for his signature. Not having that.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 04:47 PM

In hindsight? [emoji23]
He was absolutely banging in the goals last season and was available on a free. There were threads on here saying we should be going for him and he was getting a lot of media attention. It was as easy a transfer target for the likes of us, Aberdeen or Hearts as I’ve seen in a long time. Especially as we were in the market for a striker anyway and have only got three signed and one of them doesn’t get a game. And you think Shankland was obvious only in hindsight?
It was an embarrassment for our recruitment team to have missed out and it will have cost us money.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 04:48 PM
Only one club spoke to the agent. Sorry dont believe that. He is rumoured to be on over 5k a week and no competition for his signature. Not having that.

By the time he is sold in the summer he will have cost Utd zero.

green day
11-01-2020, 04:48 PM

Neither do I - it was Dodds who said it.

For me, he was touted round and everyone said "how much? For a guy that has never scored in the top division? Beat it".

Whereas Dundee United rolled the dice (as it was their last chance) and good on them for taking the chance.

They will make back some of the enormous losses they have incurred in the seaside leagues.

CapitalGreen
11-01-2020, 04:49 PM

Now Rod’s away he needs another wee obsession.

Gordy M
11-01-2020, 04:50 PM
By the time he is sold in the summer he will have cost Utd zero.

Yeh lets do that then. Sign unproven players, pay them an absolute fortune and then sell them for a massive profit.......why has no one thought of this. Get in touch with Hibs recruitment and let them know......

Del Boy
11-01-2020, 04:50 PM
It’s clear that Shankland is an excellent striker and IMO a fair bit better than Doidge but it’s not just Hibs who didn’t bother making a move for him.

green day
11-01-2020, 04:51 PM
In hindsight? [emoji23]
He was absolutely banging in the goals last season and was available on a free. There were threads on here saying we should be going for him and he was getting a lot of media attention. It was as easy a transfer target for the likes of us, Aberdeen or Hearts as I’ve seen in a long time. Especially as we were in the market for a striker anyway and have only got three signed and one of them doesn’t get a game. And you think Shankland was obvious only in hindsight?
It was an embarrassment for our recruitment team to have missed out and it will have cost us money.

Presumably his salary was quite low and / or in line with other Hibs players?:rotflmao:

(obviously we both know the answer to that one, which is why nobody in the top league gave him a second glance)

Weegreenman
11-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Doidge will prove to be the better signing given time. I’ve no doubt about this lad. He is a player that will do well for us.

weecounty hibby
Should we be interested in Stephen Dobbie again? Scored loads of goals in the championship too

supermcginn
Shankland by a million miles.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 04:54 PM
Presumably his salary was quite low and / or in line with other Hibs players?:rotflmao:

(obviously we both know the answer to that one, which is why nobody in the top league gave him a second glance)

How much is Doidge costing per week when you factor in the £350k fee?

SaulGoodman
11-01-2020, 04:54 PM
What a weird ****ing thread. Let’s have a pop at our own striker when we’ve not even played a game this week.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 04:57 PM
What a weird ****ing thread. Let’s have a pop at our own striker when we’ve not even played a game this week.

It’s not so much Doidge as the recruitment process at Hibs. I actually think Doidge has done ok. I also think we should have signed Shankland and was amazed that Dundee Utd got him.

Gordy M
How much is Doidge costing per week when you factor in the £350k fee?

Doidge had agreed a million pound transfer to Bolton 6 moths before we signed him......if we are playing hypothetical games.......

NC1875
Should we be interested in Stephen Dobbie again? Scored loads of goals in the championship too

Silly comparison. Shankland has sell on potential. Big factor for us, look at the McGinn deal

green day
11-01-2020, 04:59 PM

Billy Mackay was only a few behind Shankland last season too - we should have given him £5k a week too - embarrassing that we didnt sign him as well :greengrin

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Billy Mackay was only a few behind Shankland last season too - we should have given him £5k a week too - embarrassing that we didnt sign him as well :greengrin

I can’t remember any threads on Billy Mackay on here during the summer? Nobody thought he was worth going for but plenty thought Shankland was. Maybe you could list loads of other championship player that nobody was interested in to not make your point.

weecounty hibby
11-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Silly comparison. Shankland has sell on potential. Big factor for us, look at the McGinn deal

So all your interested in is how much we could sell him for? The guy Nisbet at Fund is only a few goals behind Shankland but I don't see everyone pissing their pants cos we never signed him. And Dobbie is not a silly comparison, we are talking about championship strikers who have scored goals in that league

Tully
11-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Watched shankland a few times when hibs played who ever he was playing with in the championship never once impressed me, never done it at a higher level bit like Cummings

NC1875
11-01-2020, 05:06 PM
So all your interested in is how much we could sell him for? The guy Nisbet at Fund is only a few goals behind Shankland but I don't see everyone pissing their pants cos we never signed him. And Dobbie is not a silly comparison, we are talking about championship strikers who have scored goals in that league

I said on another thread earlier that we should be looking at Nisbet on his form this season. Shankland was available for free in the summer.

Hibs will always be interested in a players sell on potential, it should be a big part of any player we sign imo.

Centre Hawf
11-01-2020, 05:06 PM

I don't get this argument, does Shankland have to be the only player scoring goals in that division before it's a good signing?

weecounty hibby
11-01-2020, 05:09 PM
I don't get this argument, does Shankland have to be the only player scoring goals in that division before it's a good signing?
No but he is the only one people are talking about. I have seen him a few times on TV, one game he was decent, scored a hayrick against Ayr and the other three he was absolutely rank.

Hibbyradge
The grass is always greener ...

FACT.

tamig
It’s not so much Doidge as the recruitment process at Hibs. I actually think Doidge has done ok. I also think we should have signed Shankland and was amazed that Dundee Utd got him.

Do you actually know what chat was had between PH and the recruitment team around Shankland last summer? As has been mentioned before, the manager/head coach decides if things should be taken forward further. How much do you know about how the team works at EM. You are always having digs - and most of it way off the mark and unjustified imo.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Do you actually know what chat was had between PH and the recruitment team around Shankland last summer? As has been mentioned before, the manager/head coach decides if things should be taken forward further. How much do you know about how the team works at EM. You are always having digs - and most of it way off the mark and unjustified imo.

Does it work? That’s the point I’m making. Maybe it’s Heckingbottoms fault we never signed him and if it is then that’s fine as he is gone now.

Since452
11-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Until Shankland does it in the top flight then Doidge

Del Boy
11-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Watched shankland a few times when hibs played who ever he was playing with in the championship never once impressed me, never done it at a higher level bit like Cummings

He’s a far, far better footballer than Cummings.

Brightside
11-01-2020, 05:13 PM
At the moment Doidge is better. He is playing at a higher level.

Centre Hawf
11-01-2020, 05:17 PM
No but he is the only one people are talking about. I have seen him a few times on TV, one game he was decent, scored a hayrick against Ayr and the other three he was absolutely rank.

He's the only one people are talking about because he's been doing it consistently for the last three years and shows no sign of stopping.

Nesbet has started really well but this is his first jump up to the championship, if he finishes this season like he's started then I have no doubt that he also will be spoken about in a similar way to Shankland, in fact some folk have started to mention him as a hidden gem already.

Dobbie probably should have been playing bottom 6 Premiership when he first went to QOS but went purely for convenience (I believe he still lives in England?). So no one is talking about signing him because it's obvious it's too late and not feasible.

B.H.F.C
11-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Next Sunday will give a good indication.

green day
11-01-2020, 05:19 PM
I can’t remember any threads on Billy Mackay on here during the summer? Nobody thought he was worth going for but plenty thought Shankland was. Maybe you could list loads of other championship player that nobody was interested in to not make your point.

My point was clearly ridiculous and attention seeking. I thought that's how you wanted the thread to go?

Gordy M
11-01-2020, 05:21 PM
In hindsight? [emoji23]

At the end of last season, would you have made Shankland Hibs top paid player?

Crab apple
11-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Doidge is growing on me. I doubt PH was ever interested in Shankland.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 05:38 PM
At the end of last season, would you have made Shankland Hibs top paid player?

I haven’t seen any evidence that Shankland would have been our best paid player just speculation on here. If Dundee Utd can afford him then we could have. At the end of last season I did say on here that we should sign him and I wasn’t the only one.

Gordy M
11-01-2020, 05:41 PM
I haven’t seen any evidence that Shankland would have been our best paid player just speculation on here. If Dundee Utd can afford him then we could have. At the end of last season I did say on here that we should sign him and I wasn’t the only one.

Right, il rephrase it then.....we are in talks to sign him.....he wants more wages than anyone else at the club, would you have signed him? Its a simple question.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 05:43 PM
Right, il rephrase it then.....we are in talks to sign him.....he wants more wages than anyone else at the club, would you have signed him? Its a simple question.

You might as well have added in other conditions like he wanted his own private dressing room and a chauffeur driven Bentley to pick him up every morning.

Gordy M
11-01-2020, 05:45 PM
You might as well have added in other conditions like he wanted his own private dressing room and a chauffeur driven Bentley to pick him up every morning.

Hahaha ay no bother......i take that as a no then.

Ozyhibby
11-01-2020, 05:46 PM
On a brighter note there is a thread on kickback about him as well and they are not even bothering to compare him to any of their strikers. Given their lack of goals it’s an even bigger mistake from them.

wookie70
11-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Not seen enough of Shankland to know how much better he is than Doidge but for me Doidge has been a mistake. Still time for him to turn it round but watching a striker being outpaced by Berra is something I don't want to see from a Hibs player. He scored a few so not a disaster but I think the model of buying young players who perhaps had been out of favour of had some issues was a good move. Fyvie, Allen and Mallan have all been good signings and all had the potential of making us some money. Can't see us turning a profit on Doidge.

hibsbollah
11-01-2020, 05:49 PM
I believe Shankland is on £3,500 a week at Dundee Utd. So we unquestionably would have had to make him our highest paid player to bring him here.

Anyway, any idiot knows that certain players fit with certain teams and certain systems. There's no guarantee Shankland would have been banging in the hattricks for us, just because he's doing it for Dundee Utd in the championship :dunno:

lord bunberry
Shankland has a massive forehead and for that reason I’m glad we signed Doidge. We don’t need that sort of thing at Easter Road.

SlickShoes
Why do folk want shankland but Cummings should never be seen in a Hibs too again? Both scored at the same level

hibsbollah
11-01-2020, 05:51 PM
Shankland has a massive forehead and for that reason I’m glad we signed Doidge. We don’t need that sort of thing at Easter Road.

Shankland also fills his supermarket trolley with merlot.

jeffers
11-01-2020, 05:52 PM
I believe Shankland is on £3,500 a week at Dundee Utd. So we unquestionably would have had to make him our highest paid player to bring him here.

Anyway, any idiot knows that certain players fit with certain teams and certain systems. There's no guarantee Shankland would have been banging in the hattricks for us, just because he's doing it for Dundee Utd in the championship :dunno:

You know what Hibs highest paid player is on ?

hibsbollah
11-01-2020, 05:55 PM
You know what Hibs highest paid player is on ?

I think it's slightly less than that.

lord bunberry
11-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Ffs we’ve dodged a bullet with him. I believe he’s had his teeth whitened as well.

Centre Hawf
11-01-2020, 05:57 PM

We paid more than that in the championship for some players.

jeffers
11-01-2020, 05:59 PM

I thought it was a lot more. I was amazed when I was told what we were paying Bournemouth for Hyndman’s loan.

hibsbollah
11-01-2020, 06:04 PM
I thought it was a lot more. I was amazed when I was told what we were paying Bournemouth for Hyndman’s loan.

Its all hearsay of course, I've never seen an actual bank statement:greengrin

NC1875
11-01-2020, 06:29 PM

You think no one at Hibs is on 3.5k ?

I don’t know personally but I’d be surprised at that.

wookie70
11-01-2020, 07:10 PM
You think no one at Hibs is on 3.5k ?

I don’t know personally but I’d be surprised at that.

The recent articles in the papers suggested our average wage was £136K a year so around £2.6K a week. Id be surprised if a couple weren't on more than £3.5K

Bostonhibby
11-01-2020, 07:19 PM
I'm going to back the Hibs player, who knows what he'll achieve.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
11-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Shankland would have been an excellent signing but an expensive one and a risk.

I'm quite happy with Doidge tbh. He's had an excellent 2nd quarter to the season and has scored a few goals. A few of them have been far from clinical but at least he gets into the right positions (something SHankland is also excellent at btw) but his all round play is often to a very high standard and he fits in well with the likes of Allan, Boyle and Kamberi.

The lad also looks like he's busting a gut every single week, even when things aren't going for him. Shankland has chosen to play for a team at the top of a weak league where he'll get plenty of chances. We don't yet know how he might do at a club who would struggle to feed him so much.

Is It On....
11-01-2020, 10:41 PM
I don't understand why the recruitment team are getting a hard time. My understanding, which may be wrong, is that they do all the analysis and then present the manager with the options for each position. Heckingbottom then signed players from this analysis that fitted into his plans so if anyone is to blame then it's him. Just like the fact he didn't sign a defensive midfielder. The more analysis the better in my opinion as I don't want the Levein "get 10 every window and hope that one works" method.

Sammy7nil
11-01-2020, 11:12 PM
Shankland is now out with our price range is he worth it time will tell. He has done nada in the top league whilst Dodige has scored in the top league many have been more luck than judgement imho.

Could we still afford Dodige if he was not our player yes.

So we just have to wait and see I am comfortable with what we have and what we have alleged to have missed.

Just look at Cummings stand out in the lower league where is he now?

HoboHarry
11-01-2020, 11:33 PM

They are both of equal ability and both are better than Messi. In fact it's a travesty they weren't jointly awarded the Ballon d'or.......

FilipinoHibs
11-01-2020, 11:38 PM
Sunday will give us a good opportunity to judge.

Diclonius
11-01-2020, 11:49 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/538/731/0fc.gif

stantonhibby
12-01-2020, 12:15 AM

Shankland is on £5k a week. Would you have had us pay that?

.Sean.
12-01-2020, 01:33 AM
#bantz

dalkeith stu
12-01-2020, 02:13 AM
Not sure where folk think this big money offer is coming from for Shankland tbh!! Nobody would take a chance on him in the summer when he was available for free so why would anyone pay a large fee now and presumably also up his wages. It's not as if he is scoring goal at a higher level this season, plus he's arguably at a far better club at United compared to Ayr!!

Unseen work
12-01-2020, 04:25 AM
I really like Doidge and he works very hard, makes it hard for defenders and is good at holding it up, however I have no confidence in his shooting.

I have no faith in him scoring a one on one, shot from a decent position or really attacking a header from a cross. I think of yet to see him hit a shot cleanly that looks like it will go it or does go in.

He’s had a couple of not bad finishes, dinked the keeper twice and header v St Johnstone. I don’t mind if he scores from 2 yards, but I just don’t get the feeling he will get in the positions often enough.

I was having this discussion with an Aberdeen supporting mate recently and he said they were they same about Cosgrove which is true, the difference is Cosgrove was 20 or so when he first joined.

I don’t know what it is but I just wouldn’t bank on him or even Kamberi for that matter being the main striker for us to score a lot of goals. Kamberi goes through phases and only seems to score good goals every now and again.

Sir David Gray
12-01-2020, 04:56 AM
Shankland has been a better signing for Dundee Utd than Doidge has been for us but until Shankland plays in the Premiership it's not really possible to make a direct comparison between the two, if that answers the question.

allezsauzee
12-01-2020, 06:26 AM
As the question is who is the better signing rather than who is the better player, I'd say so far it's Shankland as his goals will propel United back into the Premier League and I think it was vital that they got promoted this season. We will get a better idea of who is the better player when Shankland is playing at the top level, even though they are clearly different types of striker. It amazes me how many people are convinced that this guy is a world beater despite never playing in the top division. There is a huge gulf in fitness and physical strength levels between the Premier and the Championship.

makaveli1875
12-01-2020, 06:43 AM
Can't say whose the better signing but I'd rather have shankland in the team given the choice. We'll see next week how he does against a premiership defence, it's a stick on he's going to score

Irish-Hibee
12-01-2020, 08:15 AM
I can't believe this is even a question...Shankland all day long!

Since452
12-01-2020, 08:17 AM
If Doidge scores a brace next week and Shankland doesn't score against a top league team would be interesting to ask the question again

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 08:22 AM

I like shankland and have mentioned him on here before but what makes you think he is a better signing all day long, he hasnt scored at a level higher than the one he is at just now, doidge had a move worth a million quid lined up before Bolton's finances went to pot at the same time as no one up here would touch shankland and he then went to ayr and then dundee utd. If and when shankland scores at a higher level then it's a fair comparison but at the moment it has to be doidge surely as he has scored at premier league level

Cat Stanton
12-01-2020, 09:24 AM

Indeed. There's a reason other clubs are sniffing around Shankland but are not interested in Doidge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51082265

K Kay
12-01-2020, 09:55 AM
Guys a Scottish international player with a goal to his name.

Cataplana
12-01-2020, 10:05 AM
Why is nobody raving about the guy at Dunfermline that has 21 goals in 28 matches? Is it because it is an easier league, where even Jason Cummings couldn't fail to get goals?

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 10:10 AM
Why is nobody raving about the guy at Dunfermline that has 21 goals in 28 matches? Is it because it is an easier league, where even Jason Cummings couldn't fail to get goals?

Is this the guy Nesbitt that folk have already been talking about on another thread

where'stheslope
12-01-2020, 10:12 AM
Some players are just great at Championship level, but they don't want to test themselves at Premiership level.
Over the years players have scored goals at Championship level, but when the team is promoted they leave and go to another Championship club.
Other players try and make the jump, and are usually found out quickly with the lack of pace.
Its been said for years, that you need a different team to play and win in the Championship, than a team in the Premiership.

MikeyS
12-01-2020, 10:21 AM
I really like Doidge and he works very hard, makes it hard for defenders and is good at holding it up, however I have no confidence in his shooting.

I have no faith in him scoring a one on one, shot from a decent position or really attacking a header from a cross. I think of yet to see him hit a shot cleanly that looks like it will go it or does go in.

He’s had a couple of not bad finishes, dinked the keeper twice and header v St Johnstone. I don’t mind if he scores from 2 yards, but I just don’t get the feeling he will get in the positions often enough.

I was having this discussion with an Aberdeen supporting mate recently and he said they were they same about Cosgrove which is true, the difference is Cosgrove was 20 or so when he first joined.

I don’t know what it is but I just wouldn’t bank on him or even Kamberi for that matter being the main striker for us to score a lot of goals. Kamberi goes through phases and only seems to score good goals every now and again.

This is where I am at with Doidge too but i would also add that i think his hold up play is very poor. That last match at Livi was embarrassing. He won most of his headers but he has no clue where he is likely to divert them with about 50% of them landing back at the feet of Daz or Hanlon who had played the initial pass! He is so reluctant to shield or chest it and take a foul, just wants to knock on and be rid of it.

I've no problem with the scruffy goals by the way, they all count in the end but I've yet to see any finesse or technical ability in him that even suggests he will improve.

Cataplana
12-01-2020, 10:22 AM
Is this the guy Nesbitt that folk have already been talking about on another thread

Might well be, I thought he was worth a mention, glad to hear others got there first.

Unseen work
12-01-2020, 10:36 AM
This is where I am at with Doidge too but i would also add that i think his hold up play is very poor. That last match at Livi was embarrassing. He won most of his headers but he has no clue where he is likely to divert them with about 50% of them landing back at the feet of Daz or Hanlon who had played the initial pass! He is so reluctant to shield or chest it and take a foul, just wants to knock on and be rid of it.

I've no problem with the scruffy goals by the way, they all count in the end but I've yet to see any finesse or technical ability in him that even suggests he will improve.

Oh I don’t have any issues with scruffy goals, it’s just that his seem that lucky I can’t see us being able to rely on them. Of the goals he’s scored only 2 or 3 could be classed as good finishes or having the instinct to be there for a tap in.

A lot seem to bounce off him, a defender or something and end up in. He went through that spell but I’m yet to see anything to say he will score regularly.

I thought he would have really kicked on with the streak he was on but never seemed to happen.

Wilson
12-01-2020, 10:52 AM
Guys a Scottish international player with a goal to his name.

Aye, but that doesn't make him a bad player.

Smartie
12-01-2020, 12:47 PM
Oh I don’t have any issues with scruffy goals, it’s just that his seem that lucky I can’t see us being able to rely on them. Of the goals he’s scored only 2 or 3 could be classed as good finishes or having the instinct to be there for a tap in.

A lot seem to bounce off him, a defender or something and end up in. He went through that spell but I’m yet to see anything to say he will score regularly.

I thought he would have really kicked on with the streak he was on but never seemed to happen.

I’ve liked his headers. We’ve not had many people in recent years who have been able to get good power and direction on headers from crosses.

A few of his finishes with his feet have been a bit messy, but they all count.

Waxy
12-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Really thought Shankland was heading to a top SPFL club. Perhaps all our recruitment is not the best and a part of the reason we’re all a million miles behind the ugly sisters.

Smartie
12-01-2020, 12:59 PM

The service and support from midfield was diabolical at Livi. Whilst it’s never really right to judge a player on one game, that game was a particularly harsh one to criticise Doidge for.

MikeyS
12-01-2020, 02:10 PM
The service and support from midfield was diabolical at Livi. Whilst it’s never really right to judge a player on one game, that game was a particularly harsh one to criticise Doidge for.

His failure to control a ball was nowt to do with the midfield at Livi. Although I agree they were terrible also. The issue I was talking about was when the keeper, Hanlon, Daz or Stevenson played it long. Nothing stuck and most of the time it went back towards our defence putting us straight under pressure.

Smartie
12-01-2020, 02:29 PM
His failure to control a ball was nowt to do with the midfield at Livi. Although I agree they were terrible also. The issue I was talking about was when the keeper, Hanlon, Daz or Stevenson played it long. Nothing stuck and most of the time it went back towards our defence putting us straight under pressure.

I would agree with that, it wasn’t his finest game.

That’s not really been the case throughout his time with us imo. Horrible pitch, windy, balls being hoofed up to him with no support - that’s a tough shift for any striker.

Ronniekirk
12-01-2020, 02:49 PM
Mark my words [emoji172][emoji172][emoji172]

He is due a goal again that’s for sure Might just stick some money on Hibs win Doidge to score But not a Hat-rick Shankkand also to score

superfurryhibby
12-01-2020, 03:00 PM
If Doidge maintains his current strike rate then he’s on course for c20 goals in League and Cup competitions this season. Decent return if he manages it. Not many Hibs strikers have done this over the past 40 years, I would guess?

Has Shankland even scored in the SPL yet?

Prolific at a lower level, probably a standard not dissimilar to Doidge at Forest Green or whatever? Remains to be seen whether he can step up a level.

Whilst the 5k a week rumour is probably as speculative as the Doidge 350k transfer fee ( which I find highly unlikely, maybe with all manner of conceivable add ons etc). A wage like that would put him beyond Hibs’ reach anyway.

blackpoolhibs
12-01-2020, 03:12 PM
Doidge is growing on me. I doubt PH was ever interested in Shankland.

PH wouldnt know a good player if one punched him on the nose, until shankland starts knocking them in for fun in the Premier league, then none of us know how good he is.

Slim Shady
12-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Mark my words 💚💚💚

No chance.

I’m not confident at all and think Declan Glass and Shankland will put us out the cup.

I’d be delighted at a draw and take them back to Easter Road and beat them under the lights with a decent crowd giving us the edge.

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 03:36 PM
No chance.

I’m not confident at all and think Declan Glass and Shankland will put us out the cup.

I’d be delighted at a draw and take them back to Easter Road and beat them under the lights with a decent crowd giving us the edge.

You would be delighted with a draw against a championship team, what a load of nonsense

Slim Shady
12-01-2020, 03:51 PM
You would be delighted with a draw against a championship team, what a load of nonsense

An inform Championship team full of confidence 17 points clear in their division playing against an out of form SPL team. Neilson will have them right up for it, out to prove a point.

Be a tough game for our lads.

superfurryhibby
12-01-2020, 05:06 PM

Aye, cause Championship teams never put SPL teams out the cup right enough:rolleyes:

Iggy Pope
12-01-2020, 06:09 PM
Aye, cause Championship teams never put SPL teams out the cup right enough:rolleyes:

In fairness, I doubt there was much delight amongst any of those SPL teams that got a draw or put out.

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2020, 06:37 PM
An inform Championship team full of confidence 17 points clear in their division playing against an out of form SPL team. Neilson will have them right up for it, out to prove a point.

Aye, Neilsons record when ''he will have his team right up for it'' is excellent in the past :faf:

Will be a tough game but we are the better side.

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 06:43 PM

Where did I say they didnt? If we got a draw against a championship team I wouldnt be delighted that's for sure, if that makes you happy then fire in, I obviously have higher standards set

Allant1981
12-01-2020, 06:45 PM

Of course they will be up for it and so they should be, but we should never be happy drawing with a team from a lower league and I'm sure that the management team wouldnt be either

Smartie
13-01-2020, 07:02 AM
Of course they will be up for it and so they should be, but we should never be happy drawing with a team from a lower league and I'm sure that the management team wouldnt be either

I'll be happy as long as we get through any tie, however we do it (with the possible exception of times when our fixtures our piling up and replays lead to us playing games we could really do without having).

I don't think we're so "big" that we can say that we wouldn't be remotely content with a draw. I'd strongly fancy us against United at Easter Road, a tie for us away to flying leaders of the Championship will always have something of the banana skin about it, whoever that team happens to be.

Allant1981
13-01-2020, 07:17 AM
I'll be happy as long as we get through any tie, however we do it (with the possible exception of times when our fixtures our piling up and replays lead to us playing games we could really do without having).

I don't think we're so "big" that we can say that we wouldn't be remotely content with a draw. I'd strongly fancy us against United at Easter Road, a tie for us away to flying leaders of the Championship will always have something of the banana skin about it, whoever that team happens to be.

Yip of course it has potential to be a banana skin game but before the game has kicked off I wouldnt be saying I'd be happy with a draw, we are still the better team regardless of how well they are playing in the championship

Steve20
13-01-2020, 07:43 AM
Doidge isn't as bad as some make out, but is nowhere near as good as others want you to believe.

Shankland has been a better signing for Dundee Utd than Doidge has been for us.

Smartie
13-01-2020, 08:06 AM
Doidge isn't as bad as some make out, but is nowhere near as good as others want you to believe.

Shankland has been one of the best signings of the season, so that isn't really much of a criticism of Doidge, who I would suggest has also been a good signing.

basehibby
13-01-2020, 08:22 AM

Fair comment although Doidgey will hopefully prove it to be wrong come Friday.

A lot of tosh being written about an away draw being a poor result from some people with very poor memories. A certain team from the Championship knocked out all comers on the way to Cup victory only a few seasons back - and they were not on anything like the run of form the Arabs find themselves on at the moment IIRC. Any result that keeps us in the cup will be a good one.

Allant1981
13-01-2020, 08:45 AM

A lot of tosh being written about an away draw being a poor result from some people with very poor memories. A certain team from the Championship knocked out all comers on the way to Cup victory only a few seasons back - and they were not on anything like the run of form the Arabs find themselves on at the moment IIRC. Any result that keeps us in the cup will be a good one.

Maybe you think its tosh but i hope the players dont have the same mindset, they should not even be thinking a draw would be a good result before a ball is even kicked. That mentality is what holds folk back.

Moody Blues
13-01-2020, 08:53 AM

Whats happening on Friday?

jacomo
13-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Various rumours in the papers say both Celtc and QPR are scouting Shankland.

I don’t think they are scouting Doidge.

Gordy M
13-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Various rumours in the papers say both Celtc and QPR are scouting Shankland.

I don’t think they are scouting Doidge.

What a bizzare comment....so if they arent scouting Morelos then Shankland is better than him too?

basehibby
13-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Maybe you think its tosh but i hope the players dont have the same mindset, they should not even be thinking a draw would be a good result before a ball is even kicked. That mentality is what holds folk back.

Of course the players and the manager will go into the game with the certain belief that they have the ability to win - but they won't go into it disrespecting their opponents by thinking it'll be a walkover - an attitude which is often a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure they will be realistic in their assessment - ie they are perfectly capable of winning the game at Tannadice but giving anything less than 100% will leave them wide open to being knocked out by very capable opponents who are in winning form. Hibs will be striving to win but will also know perfectly well that taking United back to Easter Road will be anything but a disaster - a better result for us than it would be for them certainly.

basehibby
13-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Whats happening on Friday?

Glad you pulled me up on that - somehow had it in my head it was another Friday night match.

Stuart93
13-01-2020, 11:38 AM

Realistically who’ve Dundee Utd actually faced this season that’s been a big challenge? No-one really. There’s not been any other strong challengers in the league for them this season either

I’ll hold my hands up and say they’re a decent side if they knock us out but from the times I’ve seen them this season, limited mind you, they’ve not looked anything special

WeeRussell
13-01-2020, 11:43 AM
It's good that Doidge found a bit of goal scoring form after a fairly quiet start, and hopefully he can do something similar in the second half of the season.

However, even the most blinkered and ridiculous of hibs.net posters would do well to play down how good Shankland has been for Utd.

In my opinion this isn't even close to debate-worthy (but that is only my opinion and it has reached a few pages already :greengrin).

I would love to have Lawrence Shankland in the Hibs team. And I'd give (one of) most of our players to have him. Absolutely no question.

Having said that - I hope he has an absolute shocker next weekend, and any Doidge voters are feeding me humble pie.

Cataplana
13-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Really thought Shankland was heading to a top SPFL club. Perhaps all our recruitment is not the best and a part of the reason we’re all a million miles behind the ugly sisters.

Part of the reason maybe, but I think having 50k fans a week might have a lot to do with it.

I find it strange that nobody took a punt on Shankland, but maybe it is one of those cases where fitba folk actually do know what's going on.

Maybe the guy is too slow,or lacking the brains to play at the top level. Simon Murray has a successful spell at United, but went past his level when he went to Hibs.

WeeRussell
13-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Part of the reason maybe, but I think having 50k fans a week might have a lot to do with it.

I find it strange that nobody took a punt on Shankland, but maybe it is one of those cases where fitba folk actually do know what's going on.

Maybe the guy is too slow,or lacking the brains to play at the top level. Simon Murray has a successful spell at United, but went past his level when he went to Hibs.

He isn't blessed with a lot of pace. Definitely doesn't appear to lack a football brain though.

jacomo
13-01-2020, 12:02 PM
What a bizzare comment....so if they arent scouting Morelos then Shankland is better than him too?

It wasn’t that hard to see my point, was it?

If so, I will try again: Scottish champions and an English championship club seem to have Shankland on their watch list. I am not aware that clubs of a similar calibre are scouting our number 9.

Given that attracting transfer fees for our talent is a key factor for success, at the moment it would suggest that Shankland is a hotter property than Doidge and therefore a better signing.

If this still isn’t pedantic enough for you, I am sure you will let me know.

Cataplana
13-01-2020, 12:05 PM
It wasn’t that hard to see my point, was it?

If so, I will try again: Scottish champions and an English championship club seem to have Shankland on their watch list. I am not aware that clubs of a similar calibre are scouting our number 9.

Given that attracting transfer fees for our talent is a key factor for success, at the moment it would suggest that Shankland is a hotter property than Doidge and therefore a better signing.

If this still isn’t pedantic enough for you, I am sure you will let me know.

If Celtic are trying to sign Shankland, it's so he doesn't play against them next year, and will probably be backed up with a joke fee being offered.

147lothian
13-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Its a championship team in name, but in the circumstances I recon them away is the one every spl team would be happy to avoid, as that's who we have got, for me I would be over the moon with a win and not at all disappointed if its a draw, its not going to be a walk in the park

The 90+2
13-01-2020, 02:34 PM

Shankland is a better player than Doidge. Criminal Hecky didn’t go for him last summer. Don’t give me the wages crap either as we’ve no money now which means we spend **** loads last summer.

MWHIBBIES
13-01-2020, 03:24 PM
I hope we'll give our own players at least as much support as we give the Dundee United ones on Sunday.

HendoDelivered
13-01-2020, 03:50 PM
Shankland defo, look at his goals, the boy is a natural finisher. I love big Doidge though and hope he keeps scoring for us!

JohnM1875
13-01-2020, 04:14 PM
Can safely say I've never seen Shankland play. Looking forward to it on Sunday though, expecting quite the show going by some of the comments on here.

WeeRussell
13-01-2020, 04:57 PM
I hope we'll give our own players at least as much support as we give the Dundee United ones on Sunday.

You’re right. Let’s not bother answering the question like grown-ups and just pretend that shankland is sh*te and Doidge is Ronaldo so we can all be as big hibs supporters as you.

Gordy M
13-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Shankland is a better player than Doidge. Criminal Hecky didn’t go for him last summer. Don’t give me the wages crap either as we’ve no money now which means we spend **** loads last summer.
So why did no one in the SPL go for him then since you are obviously the font of all knowledge on this subject?

green day
You’re right. Let’s not bother answering the question like grown-ups and just pretend that shankland is sh*te and Doidge is Ronaldo so we can all be as big hibs supporters as you.

Or, alternatively most of us could say that we have never seen Shankland play - and while its clear the laddie knows where the goals are, all of his goals have been against lower league dross whereas Doidge has only ever scored in the top division in Scotland.

More balanced?

PaulSmith

Pretty silly comment to make, you know that every Hibs fan up at Tannadice will be roaring on the team from the first minute.

If Doidge plays a blinder on Saturday and Shankland is anonymous then there won’t be anyone disappointed. However I’m with the majority and think that Shankland is the better of the two.

BILLYHIBS
13-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Shankland

Shankland would have converted more of the opportunities Big Doidge has had for us St Mirren home and Aberdeen away immediately spring to mind

As others have said Doidge is starting to grow on me and perhaps offers more from a team point of view

I was surprised at the amount of goals Doidge has actually scored albeit in lower leagues 117 from 298 appearances

Shankland 126 from 247

All League games only

green day
13-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Shankland

Shankland would have converted more of the opportunities Big Doidge has had for us St Mirren home and Aberdeen away immediately spring to mind

As others have said Doidge is starting to grow on me and perhaps offers more from a team point of view

I was surprised at the amount of goals Doidge has actually scored albeit in lower leagues 117 from 298 appearances

Shankland 126 from 247

All League games only

Which leagues were Shanklands goals scored?

beensaidbefore
13-01-2020, 05:23 PM

Nice grown-up comment there... :confused:

we are hibs
13-01-2020, 05:33 PM

A rather strange thing to say on the back of saying you wanted mcgeouch to put one in the top corner against hibs when we face aberdeen.

IncredibleHibee
13-01-2020, 05:35 PM
I am assuming this is a joke from the OP. Doidge is terrible. Shankland is a Scotland internationalist

Allant1981
13-01-2020, 05:42 PM
I am assuming this is a joke from the OP. Doidge is terrible. Shankland is a Scotland internationalist

Doidge is not terrible

Cataplana
13-01-2020, 05:42 PM
In season 2018 - 2019, Kevin Nisbet scored 29 goals for Raith Rovers, in 34 appearances. Lawrence Shankland scored 25 goals in 33 appearances for Ayr United. I think both teams were in the same league.

This season Nisbet has scored 15 goals in 19 appearances for Dunfermline, and Lawrence Shankland has scored 22 goals in 19 appearances for Dundee United, both teams are in the same league. That doesn't tie with Shankland even being the best in his division - when you consider that Nisbet actually scored more than him last season.

Shankland is playing in a winning team, which creates chances for him to score. Nisbet is not, but he isn't that far away.

Is it possible that we are over rating Shankland, and failing to allow for the level he is playing at? I think it is an absolute nonsense to compare him to Doidge, as he has not played at the same level as Doidge.

The fact that not one SPFL team went for either is not a reflection on Hibs, any more than it is on anybody else. I suspect that people who know how to assess a player can see weaknesses in both that suggest they will not make it in the SPFL.

BILLYHIBS
13-01-2020, 06:00 PM
Which leagues were Shanklands goals scored?

Fine ye ken

Iggy Pope
13-01-2020, 06:31 PM

It’s on a par with the rest of the thread though.

Since452
13-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Jason Cummings looked great in the Championship as well. Struggled to make the step up

The 90+2
13-01-2020, 06:33 PM
So why did no one in the SPL go for him then since you are obviously the font of all knowledge on this subject?

I’ve no idea. But let’s not pretend the signing of Shankland wasn’t championed on here long before the summer. Hecky obviously wanted a Doidge instead.

Since452
13-01-2020, 06:39 PM
Hopefully this Shankland chat can be put to bed after Sunday

Gordy M
13-01-2020, 07:12 PM
I’ve no idea. But let’s not pretend the signing of Shankland wasn’t championed on here long before the summer. Hecky obviously wanted a Doidge instead.

So it was Championed on here......and? There are dozens of players mentioned on here, folk suggesting we sign them, funny you never hear the ones that didnt work out elsewhere being cast up? Shankland may turn out to be a fantastic SPL player, or in England, but its telling that no one in the SPL or England didnt rate him enough to sign him last season. What that reason is ive no idea.

calumhibee1
13-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Jason Cummings looked great in the Championship as well. Struggled to make the step up

Cummings more struggled to adapt away from home imo. I think he’d have been a massive success had he stayed here. Shame he left when he did.

The 90+2
13-01-2020, 07:15 PM
So it was Championed on here......and? There are dozens of players mentioned on here, folk suggesting we sign them, funny you never hear the ones that didnt work out elsewhere being cast up? Shankland may turn out to be a fantastic SPL player, or in England, but its telling that no one in the SPL or England didnt rate him enough to sign him last season. What that reason is ive no idea.

I can’t be bother arguing Gordy. I said Shankland would be a great signing and saying for the last two years we should be looking at him.

bigwheel
13-01-2020, 07:18 PM
I can’t be bother arguing Gordy. I said Shankland would be a great signing and saying for the last two years we should be looking at him.

Without getting into the debate...what is interesting is that all clubs in Scotland will have watched and known Shankland very well...only United took the chance. It was obviously a conscious choice from Hibs and other top league clubs not to sign him..

hibbysam
13-01-2020, 07:33 PM

Which will be fine if he goes on to prove it at our level or beyond, until then no one can say ‘I told you so’. Hypothetical speaking we could just have easily spent the £5k per week on him, with the massive signing in fee, for him to flop at this level, and our fans go nuts because we spent that money on someone so unproven.

Comparing him with Cummings, at least Jason regularly done it vs the top teams in the country in cup ties, Shankland hasn’t even done that yet.

I’m in no way saying he won’t do those things, but I’m not going to lose my **** at our club for not signing him given then numbers involved.

The 90+2
13-01-2020, 07:34 PM
Without getting into the debate...what is interesting is that all clubs in Scotland will have watched and known Shankland very well...only United took the chance. It was obviously a conscious choice from Hibs and other top league clubs not to sign him..

I agree with that. Hecky looked to his known market for his forward and that made sense. Dundee Utd too the plunge, paid him the wages and it looks to have paid off. Similar to John McGinn when he came to us perhaps?

The 90+2
13-01-2020, 07:37 PM
Which will be fine if he goes on to prove it at our level or beyond, until then no one can say ‘I told you so’. Hypothetical speaking we could just have easily spent the £5k per week on him, with the massive signing in fee, for him to flop at this level, and our fans go nuts because we spent that money on someone so unproven.

Comparing him with Cummings, at least Jason regularly done it vs the top teams in the country in cup ties, Shankland hasn’t even done that yet.

I’m in no way saying he won’t do those things, but I’m not going to lose my **** at our club for not signing him given then numbers involved.

There’s no need for the told you so, I’m more gutted we missed the boat.

Shankland will make the grade. I’m not sure why we can’t just admit Dundee Utd have a player on their hands? It’s not a criticism of Hibs. It’s like ignoring how ***** Aberdeen was for two decades before McInness took over and fall over themselves to explain why he’s not done that good a job up there when he’s been outstanding for them.

weecounty hibby
13-01-2020, 07:52 PM
I have seen some truly ***** Scotland internationals!!!

Bostonhibby
13-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Without getting into the debate...what is interesting is that all clubs in Scotland will have watched and known Shankland very well...only United took the chance. It was obviously a conscious choice from Hibs and other top league clubs not to sign him..Shanklands doing at Dundee Utd about the same as he did at Ayr for what sounds like a lot more money.

Looks like all the SPFL clubs including celtc and sevco are the losers here.

bigwheel
13-01-2020, 08:40 PM
Shanklands doing at Dundee Utd about the same as he did at Ayr for what sounds like a lot more money.

Looks like all the SPFL clubs including celtc and sevco are the losers here.

Can’t argue with that..I wonder what it was that stopped many going for him ....

Bostonhibby
13-01-2020, 08:43 PM
Can’t argue with that..I wonder what it was that stopped many going for him ....Time will tell I guess, from Scotland's point of view I'd like to see if he can transcend the Championship but I'm not going to use him as a stick to beat Hibs or Hibs players with.

IncredibleHibee
13-01-2020, 09:49 PM
Doidge is not terrible

You’re right, he’s awful

HoboHarry
14-01-2020, 12:02 AM
So is Ian Black. What's your point caller?

Centre Hawf
14-01-2020, 12:09 AM
Can’t argue with that..I wonder what it was that stopped many going for him ....

This seems to get said a lot and while I don't think that Celtic and Rangers were exactly going for him. The fact he's on a high wage at Dundee United suggests to me he had offers elsewhere to tempt him to stay in the championship.

Allant1981
14-01-2020, 05:11 AM
You’re right, he’s awful

Away you go

bigwheel
14-01-2020, 05:12 AM
This seems to get said a lot and while I don't think that Celtic and Rangers were exactly going for him. The fact he's on a high wage at Dundee United suggests to me he had offers elsewhere to tempt him to stay in the championship.

Could be. But no evidence of that. He wanted a move out of his league, and didn’t get one ..so doesn’t suggest there were many (any?) other offers

calumhibee1
14-01-2020, 05:52 AM
You’re right, he’s awful

Player of the month for the whole league recently. A league with numerous £10m+ rated players.

basehibby
14-01-2020, 08:11 AM
You’re right, he’s awful

Since we're in the mood for hyperbole - you're an ********

Diclonius
14-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Mind after the derby when the vast majority of us thought Doidge was MOTM? Guess that's all been forgotten now we have another opportunity to fawn all over a player who doesn't play for us and never will.

JDHibs
14-01-2020, 08:47 AM
In what sense is this comparable?

Different leagues for a start. Cummings scored for fun in the championship, dont recall him doing much at Rangers? Different levels completely.
Utd are basically the Celtic of the championship budgets wise, we are 5th in the premiership in that respect.
Utd have by far the best squad/players in the championship, which has been built up over 2 or 3 seasons, we had a poor summer transfer window & took 3 months to really get going.

As for Shankland being a "free" transfer, rumours he got a £250k signing on fee & £5k a week wages, plus bonuses, would suggest its not a cheap deal, its a deal to get them promoted then sell him to recover costs. Its desperate on their part.

Of course Shankland looks the better if you look at the top line stats. Dig a little deeper & they arent even close to being comaparable. Doidge is on course to get 15-20 goals this season in the league, something only Griffiths has done in recent years in the premiership & a very good return for a striker at Hibs. Not bad for a team that were toiling badly until October.

calumhibee1
14-01-2020, 09:31 AM

Different leagues for a start. Cummings scored for fun in the championship, dont recall him doing much at Rangers? Different levels completely.
Utd are basically the Celtic of the championship budgets wise, we are 5th in the premiership in that respect.
Utd have by far the best squad/players in the championship, which has been built up over 2 or 3 seasons, we had a poor summer transfer window & took 3 months to really get going.

As for Shankland being a "free" transfer, rumours he got a £250k signing on fee & £5k a week wages, plus bonuses, would suggest its not a cheap deal, its a deal to get them promoted then sell him to recover costs. Its desperate on their part.

Of course Shankland looks the better if you look at the top line stats. Dig a little deeper & they arent even close to being comaparable. Doidge is on course to get 15-20 goals this season in the league, something only Griffiths has done in recent years in the premiership & a very good return for a striker at Hibs. Not bad for a team that were toiling badly until October.

:agree:

The fact Doidge is heading for over 15 goals this season is massively overlooked by some. And he also offers a good bit more than just goals. He’s been a good signing overall.

Barman Stanton
14-01-2020, 09:36 AM
A shame that some Hibs fans seem to be using the success of someone else's player as an excuse to put the boot into one of our own. You get the sense that some people had already made their mind up about Doidge, and just cant give him any credit even when he is playing well / scoring goals.

re why no one else seemed to go for Shankland, who knows. Why did no one else seem interested in McGinn when we signed him? Sure he was almost off to America. These things just happen sometimes.

WeeRussell
14-01-2020, 09:36 AM
Or, alternatively most of us could say that we have never seen Shankland play - and while its clear the laddie knows where the goals are, all of his goals have been against lower league dross whereas Doidge has only ever scored in the top division in Scotland.

More balanced?

Most could, yes. But maybe a lot of us have. I’ve personally watched him play enough (on tv and in person) to form an opinion that he’s a quality striker and would be brilliant for Hibs. But still not be cheering for United on Sunday...

WeeRussell
14-01-2020, 09:39 AM

Thanks. But what would you expect given the post I quoted?

calumhibee1
14-01-2020, 09:51 AM
A shame that some Hibs fans seem to be using the success of someone else's player as an excuse to put the boot into one of our own. You get the sense that some people had already made their mind up about Doidge, and just cant give him any credit even when he is playing well / scoring goals.

re why no one else seemed to go for Shankland, who knows. Why did no one else seem interested in McGinn when we signed him? Sure he was almost off to America. These things just happen sometimes.

Forgot about that with SJM. Oh how different things could have been for us and him!

silverhibee
14-01-2020, 12:11 PM

We were interested in him when Lennon was here, take it that cooled when he left.

silverhibee
14-01-2020, 12:28 PM

He was at Ayr Utd, I doubt Celtc or Rangers would have been interested him at the time, even when he was under contract at Ayr, was it McCall who was manager and saying it would take silly money for Ayr to sell or he wasn't for sale at any price, Lennon was interested in him but maybe wages or fee at the time scared us off.

tonyrougier123
14-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Big doidge is the main man no iffs no buts.
Lets see how wee hamshanks handles his stuff on sunday.
But big doidge is a hero in my book f#!= the haters 2020 year of the doidge!! 💚💚💚💚

wookie70
14-01-2020, 02:33 PM

Scored at approximately a goal every 1.9-2 games in both Championship and Premiership. Too small a sample of the Rangers to really know though.

beensaidbefore
14-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Thanks. But what would you expect given the post I quoted?

The grown up response, imo, would have been to ignore it. The constant sniping at other posters on here is very tiresome. I'm not saying it's just you, but it's constant and makes this place a lot less enjoyable for the rest of us.

hibbysam
14-01-2020, 06:04 PM
There’s no need for the told you so, I’m more gutted we missed the boat.

Shankland will make the grade. I’m not sure why we can’t just admit Dundee Utd have a player on their hands? It’s not a criticism of Hibs. It’s like ignoring how ***** Aberdeen was for two decades before McInness took over and fall over themselves to explain why he’s not done that good a job up there when he’s been outstanding for them.

He might make the grade. Anyone who watched Jason Cummings in the championship (and scoring against the top sides in the country in the biggest of games) would have been adamant he’d make the grade, he never. I’m neither here nor there with Shankland, but there’s a massive question mark over his head until he does.

The part about it not being a criticism of hibs may be true from your POV, however there is at least a couple on this thread lambasting the club for not signing him, and probably making him our highest paid player of the last decade and a half, I can certainly understand why we wouldn’t take such a risk.

Unseen work
14-01-2020, 06:07 PM
Worth remembering whilst at Rangers Cummings played out wide of a front 3.

He would score a lot in this league playing up top

WeeRussell
16-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Worth remembering whilst at Rangers Cummings played out wide of a front 3.

He would score a lot in this league playing up top

I think so too. I'd still take Cummings back at Hibs, despite us being in a league he supposedly can't cut it in.

And Shankland is a better footballer than Cummings, in my opinion.

hfc-1875
16-01-2020, 02:06 PM
We couldn’t afford shanklands wages. I remember just after he signed for Dundee Utd there was a story in the paper which said he was on a wage no one outside the old firm could match.

BILLYHIBS
16-01-2020, 02:18 PM
I think so too. I'd still take Cummings back at Hibs, despite us being in a league he supposedly can't cut it in.

And Shankland is a better footballer than Cummings, in my opinion.
Dunno I thought Jase had come on leaps and bounds after being down south playing out wide for Der Hun

His ball retention passing and link up play seemed to have improved and he looked quicker and sharper

All Shankland does is score goals 😁

MWHIBBIES
16-01-2020, 03:25 PM
We couldn’t afford shanklands wages. I remember just after he signed for Dundee Utd there was a story in the paper which said he was on a wage no one outside the old firm could match.

If Dundee United can afford it Hibs can afford it. They might be overpaying and we might have had to as well but we definitely could pay more than them.

Is It On....
16-01-2020, 06:52 PM
Nisbet of Dunfermline is scoring at very similar rate to Shankland. JC (all he does is score!!) also scored loads for Hibs in the Championship and moved last summer We can't look back and have placed our money on Doidge so let's hope CD was the right call 🙂

Cataplana
17-01-2020, 07:41 AM
Nisbet of Dunfermline is scoring at very similar rate to Shankland. JC (all he does is score!!) also scored loads for Hibs in the Championship and moved last summer We can't look back and have placed our money on Doidge so let's hope CD was the right call 🙂

Nisbet actually scored more than Shankland last season.

WeeRussell
17-01-2020, 11:14 AM
Dunno I thought Jase had come on leaps and bounds after being down south playing out wide for Der Hun

His ball retention passing and link up play seemed to have improved and he looked quicker and sharper

All Shankland does is score goals 😁

I'm sure your comment is in jest - but it's exactly this that sets him a good bit ahead of Cummings for me. He doesn't just score goals, his first touch, laying-off, football brain, movement and all-round game looks very, very good when you watch him. He also scores all types of goals, including with his heid.

I reiterate though - here's hoping he is p1sh at all of the above on Sunday :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
17-01-2020, 12:03 PM
I'm sure your comment is in jest - but it's exactly this that sets him a good bit ahead of Cummings for me. He doesn't just score goals, his first touch, laying-off, football brain, movement and all-round game looks very, very good when you watch him. He also scores all types of goals, including with his heid.

I reiterate though - here's hoping he is p1sh at all of the above on Sunday :greengrin

My remark “all he does is score goals” was a jest often aimed on this site at that brilliant striker Jamie Maclaren. :greengrin

I am sorry but I do not see and have never noticed that side to Shanklands game that you describe be it for Ayr, Dundee Utd or Scotland

To me he is an out and out goalscorer and is the master of being in the right position at the right time

Once again it begs the question if that is the case why was he not picked up by bigger clubs sooner?

I remember his perfect hatrick for Ayr United versus United

When his side is under the cosh you never see or notice him as per the recent 1-1 versus Dundee

Yes he is a brilliant finisher scoring all sorts of goals and hopefully we can keep him quiet on Sunday

I would like to see us go for Kevin Nisbet of Dunfermline

WeeRussell
17-01-2020, 12:11 PM
My remark “all he does is score goals” was a jest often aimed on this site at that brilliant striker Jamie Maclaren. :greengrin

I am sorry but I do not see and have never noticed that side to Shanklands game that you describe be it for Ayr, Dundee Utd or Scotland

To me he is an out and out goalscorer and is the master of being in the right position at the right time

Once again it begs the question if that is the case why was he not picked up by bigger clubs sooner?

I remember his perfect hatrick for Ayr United versus United

When his side is under the cosh you never see or notice him as per the recent 1-1 versus Dundee

Yes he is a brilliant finisher scoring all sorts of goals and hopefully we can keep him quiet on Sunday

I would like to see us go for Kevin Nisbet of Dunfermline

He had a perfect hat-trick for United last weekend too.

You're right, he was quiet in what was a poor Dundee derby recently, as were a few other of United's important players.

I wouldn't expect him to be that well noticed when his team are "under the cosh" though. He's a centre forward! His link-up doesn't get talked about a lot because the majority of people just see his name pop-up on sky sports news on Saturday afternoon.

If you get bored of the game on Sunday :greengrin Watch him for a while, the boy is a player with good game intelligence and movement. (often why he ends up in the right place at the right time).

BILLYHIBS
17-01-2020, 12:17 PM
He had a perfect hat-trick for United last weekend too.

You're right, he was quiet in what was a poor Dundee derby recently, as were a few other of United's important players.

I wouldn't expect him to be that well noticed when his team are "under the cosh" though. He's a centre forward! His link-up doesn't get talked about a lot because the majority of people just see his name pop-up on sky sports news on Saturday afternoon.

If you get bored of the game on Sunday :greengrin Watch him for a while, the boy is a player with good game intelligence and movement. (often why he ends up in the right place at the right time).

No worries I look forward to watching him work his socks off to get his team back into the game when we are 0-2 up :greengrin

Keith_M
17-01-2020, 12:22 PM
This season Nisbet has scored 15 goals in 19 appearances for Dunfermline, and Lawrence Shankland has scored 22 goals in 19 appearances for Dundee United, both teams are in the same league. That doesn't tie with Shankland even being the best in his division - when you consider that Nisbet actually scored more than him last season.

So, going on statistics alone, Shankland has scored almost 50% more goals than Nisbet.

Shankland is playing in a winning team, which creates chances for him to score. Nisbet is not...

But that's a fair point.

WeeRussell
17-01-2020, 01:32 PM
No worries I look forward to watching him work his socks off to get his team back into the game when we are 0-2 up :greengrin

Nae danger you'll be bored if we're 2-0 up :wink:

Cataplana
18-01-2020, 09:30 AM
So, going on statistics alone, Shankland has scored almost 50% more goals than Nisbet.

But that's a fair point.

It's worth comparing their records in League One. Also how many hat tricks they have had. Hat tricks are as much about one team outclassing the other as individual brilliance.

If Shankland is so good, and we can't afford him, we should be thinking about Nisbet.

Jim44
19-01-2020, 08:42 AM
I’m not going to forage through ten pages, but I’m sure the point was made that our management were remiss in not going for Shankland. Maybe they did, but decided that there was a limit to what they were willing to pay for a prolific scorer but one, unproven at the top level. I’m fairly certain we would not have been the only ones. D Utd. were clearly willing to push the boat out in an attempt to get back to the top division and probably gave Ayr and Shankland offers they couldn’t refuse.

Cataplana
19-01-2020, 10:33 AM
I’m not going to forage through ten pages, but I’m sure the point was made that our management were remiss in not going for Shankland. Maybe they did, but decided that there was a limit to what they were willing to pay for a prolific scorer but one, unproven at the top level. I’m fairly certain we would not have been the only ones. D Utd. were clearly willing to push the boat out in an attempt to get back to the top division and probably gave Ayr and Shankland offers they couldn’t refuse.

I think there's ten pages of argument about whether they missed a trick, or not. Some people think they did, others think the didn't. The strongest argument against signing him is that he is unproven at the top level.

As well as that, other players have shown up well in the lower leagues, but can't cut it at the top (Cummings), and he isn't the only one banging in the goals down there (Nisbet).

The fact that nobody else was prepared to pay the money for him suggests that people who know the game have seen something that tells them he's not worth breaking the bank for.

blackpoolhibs
19-01-2020, 02:11 PM
:greengrin

Bostonhibby
19-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Still Doidge for me[emoji6]

Rory
19-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Go on Doigdy!

dalkeith stu
19-01-2020, 02:14 PM
Doidge 1-0
Has Shankland even touched the ball yet??

MikeyS
19-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Lovely finish to a well worked team goal. Started with a very quick throw from Rocky 👏🏻

Keith_M
19-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Shankland catching up...

:duck:

Cataplana
19-01-2020, 03:56 PM
Shankland is a pound shop Billy Pirie. Fail.

Allant1981
19-01-2020, 03:58 PM
Shankland is a decent player and I've said before I think he will go to play at a higher level than he is but he done nothing today, his goal came from crap defending but on the other hand he still had to take the touch then finish, still reckon doidge is the better player

jeffers
19-01-2020, 04:03 PM
Neither player got decent service today, but if he hadn’t been rugby tackled then missed the chance at the end I could have been excused for thinking Doidge had been subbed at HT.

jacomo
19-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Neither player got decent service today, but if he hadn’t been rugby tackled then missed the chance at the end I could have been excused for thinking Doidge had been subbed at HT.

Whereas Shankland scored with pretty much his only chance.

Don’t want to be accused of not supporting our own players but Shankland looks like the real deal to me.

Del Boy
19-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Shankland got one chance today and took it. He’s playing in a poorer team but he’s clearly a better player than Doidge.

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2020, 04:20 PM
Shankland touched the ball once, very poor honestly. Doidge and Kamberi both better.

Allant1981
19-01-2020, 04:22 PM
Shankland got one chance today and took it. He’s playing in a poorer team but he’s clearly a better player than Doidge.

Explain how he is clearly a better player?

Del Boy
19-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Explain how he is clearly a better player?

He holds the ball up better and links better with those around him, better movement off the ball, is a far better finisher, has a better touch and works harder.

SanFranHibs
19-01-2020, 04:37 PM
He holds the ball up better and links better with those around him, better movement off the ball, is a far better finisher, has a better touch and works harder.

That's your case? :wink:

Allant1981
19-01-2020, 04:38 PM

You must see him more often than today then as you didnt see all that today

Del Boy
19-01-2020, 04:39 PM
That's your case? :wink:

Aye!! To be honest everyone sees things differently and it’s just my opinion but I’ve seen Shankland play a lot on the last two years and he’s a top player. Sure he has quiet games, like today, but he should and will play at a higher level.

Del Boy
19-01-2020, 04:40 PM
You must see him more often than today then as you didnt see all that today

Fair comment but yeah I’ve seen him play a lot.

Centre Hawf
19-01-2020, 04:42 PM
Shankland had one good chance and finished it. If he had one or two more I have no doubt we'd have been walking away from this game without even a replay. Doidge had a great chance at the death and done his usual hit it at the keeper.

Not a great day for either to showcase themselves but I still have zero doubt who I'd like to see play for us.

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2020, 04:43 PM

Why didn't he do any of those things today? He scored but his general play didn't exist. He held nothing up. United had 2 shots on goal.

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Shankland had one good chance and finished it. If he had one or two more I have no doubt we'd have been walking away from this game without even a replay. Doidge had a great chance at the death and done his usual hit it at the keeper.

Not a great day for either to showcase themselves but I still have zero doubt who I'd like to see play for us.
Doidge scored a very good goal. Chance at the end wasn't easy at all.

Peevemor
19-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Doidge scored a very good goal. Chance at the end wasn't easy at all.He did well to control the ball to create the chance, but the keeper did his job very well.

BILLYHIBS
19-01-2020, 04:50 PM
Why didn't he do any of those things today? He scored but his general play didn't exist. He held nothing up. United had 2 shots on goal.

Imagine how many goals he would would score in this HIBS team with Boyle and Allan laying them on a plate for him

I was impressed with his upper body strength especially when up against Daz but as I said earlier in this thread I am still failing to see this brilliant hold up player that brings others into play like some sort of latter day Stevie Archibald he is an excellent finisher and his finish today was calmness personified

04Sauzee
19-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Doidge is by far the better player

B.H.F.C
19-01-2020, 04:51 PM
If you’d never heard of either you’d have come away today thinking Doidge was a better player IMO. Gave them more problems than Shankland gave us.

Could have won it at the end, but I’m sure the great Laurence Shankland misses chances as well.

jeffers
19-01-2020, 04:52 PM
Doidge scored a very good goal. Chance at the end wasn't easy at all.

The difference between someone who is a clinical finisher and one who isn’t. Clearly speculation on my part but I’d have fancied Shankland to finish Doidge’s chance at the end. I had absolutely no confidence he was going to finish it.

weecounty hibby
19-01-2020, 05:01 PM
The difference between someone who is a clinical finisher and one who isn’t. Clearly speculation on my part but I’d have fancied Shankland to finish Doidge’s chance at the end. I had absolutely no confidence he was going to finish it.
Honestly that is pure nonsense. I'd have fancied Shankland to score?? Based on what, certainly not his performance this evening. He was pish and scored, Doidge was slightly less pish and scored, go figure who is being touted as the next big thing. And based on every time I've seen Shankland I just don't get it

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 05:01 PM
I have watched Shankland over a couple of years.
He is an out and out goalscorer.
You forget he is on the pitch then he gets a chance, comes alive and puts it away as he did today then disappears again.
His run for the goal was good and he sorted his feet out very quickly and tidily rolled the ball into the net.
It is relevant that he plays in a poor team and as a result gets very poor service so it is difficult to judge if he would cut it for the likes of Hibs, so jury still out on him.

Since452
19-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Based on that Doidge

IncredibleHibee
19-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Since we're in the mood for hyperbole - you're an ********

Thank you. What a terribly grown up response to an opinion

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 05:06 PM

Doidges take down and control was brilliant for the chance at the end but the big keeper read it and immediately closed him down.
Your criticism re this chance has no merit.

calumhibee1
19-01-2020, 05:08 PM
I have watched Shankland over a couple of years.
He is an out and out goalscorer.
You forget he is on the pitch then he gets a chance, comes alive and puts it away as he did today then disappears again.
His run for the goal was good and he sorted his feet out very quickly and tidily rolled the ball into the net.
It is relevant that he plays in a poor team and as a result gets very poor service so it is difficult to judge if he would cut it for the likes of Hibs, so jury still out on him.

Shankland plays in by far and away the best team in his league? I’d imagine he gets absolutely excellent service.

jeffers
19-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Honestly that is pure nonsense. I'd have fancied Shankland to score?? Based on what, certainly not his performance this evening. He was pish and scored, Doidge was slightly less pish and scored, go figure who is being touted as the next big thing. And based on every time I've seen Shankland I just don't get it

Nonsense in your opinion. Whatever faults Shankland may have he’s known as a clinical finisher, not something even his biggest fan can say about Doidge.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 05:10 PM

The only way of scoring it would have been to hit it first time before the keeper could close it down.

Since452
19-01-2020, 05:10 PM
Genuinely thought Shankland wasn't playing until they announced his goal. Sign of a good striker? Maybe. Utterly invisible 2nd half

WeeRussell
19-01-2020, 05:11 PM

Probably based on the fact he scores the majority of chances he gets?

Had a quiet game today (thankfully) and still got on the scoresheet, as he tends to do. Hopefully he’s just as quiet in the replay.

Someone like him could have had the tie wrapped up for us today.

Diclonius
19-01-2020, 05:12 PM
So far it's Doidge 1, Shankland 1.

We'll find out the winner in nine days.

weecounty hibby
19-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Probably based on the fact he scores the majority of chances he gets?

Had a quiet game today (thankfully) and still got on the scoresheet, as he tends to do. Hopefully he’s just as quiet in the replay.

Someone like him could have had the tie wrapped up for us today.
Or alternatively he could be just like Steven Dobbie who scored tons of goals in that division but just didn't cut it in the tip league.

Shrekko
19-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Doidge over Shankland all day long and he showed why today.

Kamberi was also about 10 levels above Shankland so I’d surmise that if we’d signed him he would have been a decent 3rd choice striker.

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2020, 05:17 PM
Or alternatively he could be just like Steven Dobbie who scored tons of goals in that division but just didn't cut it in the tip league.

Dobbie in his prime would've pished all over the SPL

He was a quality player down south. Shankland isn't in his league.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 05:17 PM
Shankland plays in by far and away the best team in his league? I’d imagine he gets absolutely excellent service.

He does, which makes his achievements in that league hard to judge. Loads of chances against duffers.
Equally the poorness of his performance today is hard to benchmark because his teammates struggled all game.

calumhibee1
19-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Genuinely thought Shankland wasn't playing until they announced his goal. Sign of a good striker? Maybe. Utterly invisible 2nd half

Shankland to me is the superior goal scorer, I’d be stunned if Doidge would have the sort of ratio Shankland has in that league. Doidge brings so much more to the team than Shankland though, so it really just depends if we want a forward who will get his fair share of goals while offering a lot more than just that or a guy who will score a barrel load but offer next to nothing when he’s not doing that.

weecounty hibby
19-01-2020, 05:18 PM

He was a quality player down south. Shankland isn't in his league.
Thanks for backing up my argument. I do not remember Dobbie have smoke blown up his arse and getting Scotland caps for **** sake like Shankland

MWHIBBIES
19-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Thanks for backing up my argument. I do not remember Dobbie have smoke blown up his arse and getting Scotland caps for **** sake like Shankland

Indeed. Shankland has a long way to go before he actually deserves the way he is being spoken about. Hibs have 2 better strikers.

weecounty hibby
19-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Indeed. Shankland has a long way to go before he actually deserves the way he is being spoken about. Hibs have 2 better strikers.
100% in agreement with you there, and they are probably both being paid less.

CMurdoch
19-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Shankland to me is the superior goal scorer, I’d be stunned if Doidge would have the sort of ratio Shankland has in that league. Doidge brings so much more to the team than Shankland though, so it really just depends if we want a forward who will get his fair share of goals while offering a lot more than just that or a guy who will score a barrel load but offer next to nothing when he’s not doing that.

Allan and Shankland in the same team
The other 8 outfield players would die of exhaustion after 75 minutes.

Peevemor
19-01-2020, 05:36 PM

He was a quality player down south. Shankland isn't in his league.Erm. Dobbie was at Hibs when he was 21/22. He scored 7 goals in 2 seasons, including a league cup hat trick against Montrose.

Ronniekirk
19-01-2020, 05:47 PM
On today’s showing Doidge and he is now in double figures

Since452
19-01-2020, 05:50 PM
Shankland looks like he'd seriously struggle to make the step up to Premiership. Sounds daft as he scored but he was invisible for 89 minutes

Centre Hawf
19-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Doidges take down and control was brilliant for the chance at the end but the big keeper read it and immediately closed him down.
Your criticism re this chance has no merit.

In your opinion.

I agree with another poster who said that they had no confidence in him to finish it. He did well to take it down but after that he didn't pick a spot nor did he look up to notice I think Boyle on the penalty spot (admittedly Shankland being a goalscorer might not have wanted to pass if it was him). Does that one chance make him a bad player? Absolutely not. But the fact of the matter is we've paid what appears to be the most amount of money we've paid since De La Cruz for this man and he looks no better than a lot of strikers we've signed and released for free before him.

NorthNorfolkHFC
19-01-2020, 05:56 PM
In your opinion.

I agree with another poster who said that they had no confidence in him to finish it. He did well to take it down but after that he didn't pick a spot nor did he look up to notice I think Boyle on the penalty spot (admittedly Shankland being a goalscorer might not have wanted to pass if it was him). Does that one chance make him a bad player? Absolutely not. But the fact of the matter is we've paid what appears to be the most amount of money we've paid since De La Cruz for this man and he looks no better than a lot of strikers we've signed and released for free before him.

Boyle was being marked so if he’d done that he’d be lambasted for not having a go.

It was great goal keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

allezsauzee
19-01-2020, 06:04 PM
While Doidge is a much more complete player than Shankland at this point in time. I think it's a bit unfair to draw comparisons between the two based on today's match. Shankland was up against better and more experienced defenders and has little to no experience of playing above Championship level. He'll probably get the chance to play at a higher level soon and then we'll see if he develops. As to the actual question posed of who was the better signing. If his goals makes the difference between United being in the play offs and winning the Championship at a canter, then it might be Shankland.

bigwheel
19-01-2020, 06:11 PM
My first look at Shankland since he has been making the headlines...he is certainly a good player. Strong,
Good in the air, took the ball well and decent
Movement ..will Get a good move - perhaps he lacks the pace to play at the highest level ..but could see him scoring goals wherever he goes

Spike Mandela
19-01-2020, 06:27 PM
As the OP I have to say there was little between them today. Both took their goals well but were largely anonymous for most of the game. If Dodge had taken his chance at the end it may have swung it in his favour but keeper done well.

Onwards to the replay then to see if one of them can raise their game and win the tie or are they much of a muchness?

The 90+2
19-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Stick with the Vegan Nish.

Tyler Durden
19-01-2020, 06:43 PM
I’ve grown to really rate/like Doidge and he’s a good focal point for our attack. He’s not a natural finisher though and I think a Shankland or a Cummings type poacher gets a shot away much quicker with that late chance.

Not a criticism of Doidge, he does bring more to the team than just goals.

Smartie
20-01-2020, 10:36 AM
I’ve grown to really rate/like Doidge and he’s a good focal point for our attack. He’s not a natural finisher though and I think a Shankland or a Cummings type poacher gets a shot away much quicker with that late chance.

Not a criticism of Doidge, he does bring more to the team than just goals.

They'd be good together.

As you say, different players.

FilipinoHibs
20-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Both did little apart from Score. Thought Shankland a lightweight. Oh was that Doidge's first goal with the his foot that was not miss hit?

Spionen
20-01-2020, 11:03 AM
Although Shankland gets goals, he's heavy, lazy, pulls out of defensive duals, ducks out of heading long balls, slow with little acceleration, neither does he hold and link it well. His general play isn't good enough. The Championship isn't a good league quality wise this year which has helped him big time with his goals.
Doidge is clever, he takes up good positions in general play and drags defenders into areas they don't want to be. His movement is good and his hold up and link up play is excellent and he usually wins most things in the air. Every game he at least creates himself 2 or 3 chances which is probably on a par with Shankland.
Doidge is a better all round player in my mind and Shankland not worth the hype surrounding him.

WeeRussell
20-01-2020, 11:05 AM
One thing I'm certain of is if Shankland played for Hibs, this thread wouldn't exist.

And those talking him down here would be laughing/dismissing/being sarcy towards any poster who suggested we would be better off with Christian Doidge.

BILLYHIBS
20-01-2020, 11:10 AM
Both did little apart from Score. Thought Shankland a lightweight. Oh was that Doidge's first goal with the his foot that was not miss hit?

I must say I did not think Shankland was lightweight if anything he has bulked up and had a good physical duel with Daz when he came on and has good upper body strength and shields the ball well

Took his goal well but apart from that offered little

Hibs to win the return leg......hopefully :greengrin

IIRC was he not making good money as a Personal Trainer when he was in the lower leagues?

BILLYHIBS
20-01-2020, 11:11 AM
One thing I'm certain of is if Shankland played for Hibs, this thread wouldn't exist.

And those talking him down here would be laughing/dismissing/being sarcy towards any poster who suggested we would be better off with Christian Doidge.

Shankland would score a barrowload in this HIBS side