07-01-2020, 12:44 PM
To sign for Aberdeen supposedly

Keith_M
07-01-2020, 12:45 PM
Jeezo!

:rolleyes:

1van Sprou7e
07-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Personally gutted by this but I'm not sure how well he'll fit into their style of football I have to say (if he can even stay fit that is)

1van Sprou7e
07-01-2020, 12:47 PM
Sorry didn't realise this had been covered on another thread, mods feel free to delete

Vault Boy
07-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Sorry didn't realise this had been covered on another thread, mods feel free to delete

I think keeping it up is okay since it'll help prevent the transfer thread from turning into a Dylan debate.

Personally gutted to see him heading to Aberdeen. Will always be a Hibs legend though.

Northernhibee
07-01-2020, 01:05 PM
He ain’t the midfielder we need. We need more of a Marvin Bartley type.

The Harp
07-01-2020, 01:11 PM
If JR wanted him and the club didn't provide the cash required to sign him then I'll be disappointed. As it is, no one seems to know if we've attempted to get him or not.

Larry Burns
07-01-2020, 01:12 PM
Been on the cards for well over a year

CB_NO3
07-01-2020, 01:21 PM
Don't think Dylan would be the same player without McGinn tbh. We need some muscle in the team as we are weak.

Hibeesmad
07-01-2020, 01:23 PM
Been on the cards for well over a year

If it wasnt for Sunderland offering him the big bucks he would have left us for Aberdeen I reckon.

Anthony Soprano
07-01-2020, 01:27 PM
I think if we were interested there would of been movement by now. Player, manager and club are all familiar with each other so would of been an easy process.

Ross is the only one who has seen him play/train the past year so if he's not interested i'll trust his judgement.

The guy's also massively injury prone, one good season in 3 years with us because he was on the sidelines all the time, a great player when fit but keeping him fit was the problem.

TimeForHeroes16
07-01-2020, 01:33 PM
just another weegie lad with no loyalty.

Stop signing west coast neds

Anthony Soprano
07-01-2020, 01:37 PM

Football is a short-lived career, can't be too harsh on players going for the money.

FRes Hibbie
07-01-2020, 01:40 PM
Good player, shame we didn’t get him back but I can see why we might think we’re over-stocked on central midfielders - even if DM would be an upgrade on most of them.

Vault Boy
07-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Take a look at your username and reassess your views. My word.

Onion
07-01-2020, 01:49 PM
If JR wanted him and the club didn't provide the cash required to sign him then I'll be disappointed. As it is, no one seems to know if we've attempted to get him or not.

And we may never know, unless McGeough talks.

Getting a tad sick of missing out on decent players to the likes of Aberdeen.

500miles
07-01-2020, 01:50 PM
I'd imagine we're looking for a more dominant player, got a lot of technical players as it is.

EI255
07-01-2020, 02:10 PM
Unlucky if he signs for AFC....one of the worst stadiums in Scotland. Awful ground.:agree:

Roxyhibee
07-01-2020, 02:29 PM
Dylan is an obviously outstanding footballer but I’m not that bothered we are missing out on him due to his long term injury issues. So frustrating having someone with so much talent in the squad but who spends so much time in physio and being subbed with problems. In saying that, I don’t know if he still has these constant injury challenges as I’ve not kept tabs on his time at Sunderland.

I genuinely wish him all the best though - significantly helped give me the greatest day in my Hibs life.

DetroitHibs
07-01-2020, 02:36 PM
I honestly see his career going the same way at Sunderland. Couple of decent performances, injured, back in and out again.

TimeForHeroes16
07-01-2020, 03:10 PM
Take a look at your username and reassess your views. My word.

Every Hero comes back given the chance, he hasn’t.

He’s been passed between the old firm teams, came to us played the best he has ever played in his career won trophies, got a Scotland call up. Stalled his career at Sunderland got the chance to come home and picks the dons. Proves my point he’s not loyal

FRes Hibbie
07-01-2020, 03:11 PM

He’s been passed between the old firm teams, came to us played the best he has ever played in his career won trophies, got a Scotland call up. Stalled his career at Sunderland got the chance to come home and picks the dons. Proves my point he’s not loyal

Have you assumed we wanted to resign him or do you actually know we did?

Vault Boy
07-01-2020, 03:13 PM

He pushed to join us permanently, became an immortal legend and saw out his contract. Stop signing west coast neds? No need for that. Liam Henderson and Anthony Stokes would fall under that category, not to mention Ambrose and Scott Allan.

Just a bizzare thing to say about a Hibs legend. Also, who says he's turned down the chance to come back? Certainly doesn't seem that way.

greenpaper55
07-01-2020, 03:17 PM
He will be our injured half the time.

Peevemor
07-01-2020, 03:20 PM
He pushed to join us permanently, became an immortal legend and saw out his contract. Stop signing west coast neds? No need for that. Liam Henderson and Anthony Stokes would fall under that category, not to mention Ambrose and Scott Allan.

Just a bizzare thing to say about a Hibs legend. Also, who says he's turned down the chance to come back? Certainly doesn't seem that way.

:confused:

B.H.F.C
07-01-2020, 03:21 PM

Disagree. When we had a really good team, he didn’t get a look in. Would maybe be good for certain games but we need someone to get the ball to folk like Allan and Boyle quickly.

Hibs will never be in a position where a player as good as him isn’t what we need IMO.

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 03:24 PM
We should at least be asking him the question.

Peevemor
07-01-2020, 03:25 PM
We should at least be asking him the question.

Even if our manager doesn't want him?

jacomo
07-01-2020, 03:31 PM

Baffling comment.

Dylan and Marv were in the same squad at Hibs, often competing against each other for the same spot in the team. And Dylan was normally favoured over Marv.

The best Hibs teams I have watched have always had a baller and not a bruiser play defensive midfield - Sauzee, Katie, Boozy, Dylan etc. Less about the crunching tackles, more about retaining and recycling possession.

The opposition can’t hurt you if they don’t have the ball.

Vault Boy
07-01-2020, 03:33 PM
:confused:

What?

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 03:35 PM
Even if our manager doesn't want him?

It’s poor judgement by the manager if he doesn’t in all fairness.

Peevemor
07-01-2020, 03:35 PM
What?

Where in the West coast does Stokes come from?

Peevemor
07-01-2020, 03:36 PM
It’s poor judgement by the manager if he doesn’t in all fairness.

That's your opinion (in all fairness).

makaveli1875
07-01-2020, 03:37 PM

West Ireland maybe

matty_f

Dylan wanted to come back, from what I was told, Hibs refused the offer as we wanted a ball winning midfielder instead.

Vault Boy

Took the comment to mean signing players from Celtic. If it means Glasgow in general then it's even more a bizzare suggestion.

MWHIBBIES

We need top quality, he is top quality.

The 90+2
That's your opinion (in all fairness).

Yes, yes it is, that’s stating the obvious isn’t it?

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2020, 03:39 PM
Don't think Dylan would be the same player without McGinn tbh. We need some muscle in the team as we are weak.

He was here and was quality before Mcginn.

Gaffer1875
07-01-2020, 03:41 PM
If he signs for them I’ll be pretty gutted but trust JR and who he plans to bring in. DM would have commanded a big wage so happy to put that resource to Omeonga [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peevemor
07-01-2020, 03:42 PM
Took the comment to mean signing players from Celtic. If it means Glasgow in general then it's even more a bizzare suggestion.

I remember once referring to the Glasgow teams as West coast. Two of the guys I was with, one from Oban and the other from Glenuig, put me straight.

Stuart93
07-01-2020, 03:44 PM
He was here and was quality before Mcginn.

Apart from his last season I’m not sure he even featured enough on a consistent basis to be regarded as “quality”

Was frequently out injured

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Apart from his last season I’m not sure he even featured enough on a consistent basis to be regarded as “quality”

Was frequently out injured

You're joking right? He made 80 appearances before his last season, he was class from day one.

Moody Blues
07-01-2020, 03:48 PM
No thanks, same with McNulty.We must sign better.

Golden Bear
07-01-2020, 03:50 PM
I won't be shedding any tears if McGeoch signs for the Dons.

Presumably our Manager will be well aware of his present situation and has decided that he'll be turning his attention elsewhere. Dylan was a good player but in turn Hibs were very good for his career and supported him well throughout his frequent injury spells.

Time to move on.

we are hibs
07-01-2020, 03:50 PM
Almost a guarentee he will come back to easter road and school our midfield.

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2020, 03:51 PM

Hibs have had 2, maybe 3 better midfield players in the last 10 years than Dylan. I don't think we're getting better.

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 03:57 PM

Better? Aye, we have that Josh Vela kicking about somewhere I suppose.

jeffers
07-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Hibs have had 2, maybe 3 better midfield players in the last 10 years than Dylan. I don't think we're getting better.

I'm struggling to think of another player to compare McGeouch to. However we may well sign a genuine ball winning midfielder who would be better in that role than McGeouch would be and give us better balance. It's not all about signing a player simply because they are talented IMO.

Captain Trips
07-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Im happy to sign a ball winner freeing up Hallberg whom I think is comparable to Dylan in our team and I for one would be interested in the journey with Hallberg in there.

calumhibee1
07-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Gutted about that. He was a pleasure to watch play. If he can keep himself fit then he’ll be their best midfielder by a mile. I do realise that’s a big if though.

brog
07-01-2020, 04:08 PM
You're joking right? He made 80 appearances before his last season, he was class from day one.

He only started 42/108 league games in his 1st 3 seasons. He never started 50% of league games in those 3 seasons. I like Dylan but We're the only team for which he has ever shown consistent form & there seems to be zero interest for him from English clubs.

Stokesy's on fire
07-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Almost a guarentee he will come back to easter road and school our midfield.

Na porto will sort him out

WeeRussell
07-01-2020, 04:57 PM
Better? Aye, we have that Josh Vela kicking about somewhere I suppose.

To be fair to him he did say “sign better”. Vela is already signed.

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2020, 05:03 PM
He only started 42/108 league games in his 1st 3 seasons. He never started 50% of league games in those 3 seasons. I like Dylan but We're the only team for which he has ever shown consistent form & there seems to be zero interest for him from English clubs.

I like Scott Allan buy we're the only team which he has ever shown consistent form and there seems to be zero interest from English clubs.

Hmm

Dylan walks into current side blindfolded. Not good if he's away to a rival.

Since452
07-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Dylan is a good player but there are serious issues over his fitness and I'd rather we spent what would be our highest wage on someone who's going to start every week. Tin hat on but I don't think he's a massive upgrade on Hallberg who would be playing in Dylan's position. I'd rather we spent the wage where we need it most

B.H.F.C
07-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Dylan is a good player but there are serious issues over his fitness and I'd rather we spent what would be our highest wage on someone who's going to start every week. Tin hat on but I don't think he's a massive upgrade on Hallberg who is playing in Dylans position. I'd rather we spent the wage where we need it most

He’s a massive upgrade on Hallberg in the position he’s been playing. That isn’t his position at all and he’s been posted missing in some games IMO. He’s only playing that position because we didn’t sign someone who can do it properly. Someone like Dylan.

WestCoastHibby
07-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Glass statue. Great player when fit and on his game.
But how often does that happen these days.
I’ll eat my words if he has a good end to this season though.

MacGruber
07-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Gutted that he isn't coming back and going to the Dons. Absolute class for us. Still love him but it'll be a challenge when he is a sheep at Easter Road

King conrad
07-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Correct, such an underrated player and can't believe some don't want him back

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Struggled with injuries at Sunderland like he did often with us, decent player when fit though.

superfurryhibby
07-01-2020, 05:39 PM
I like Scott Allan buy we're the only team which he has ever shown consistent form and there seems to be zero interest from English clubs.

Hmm

Dylan walks into current side blindfolded. Not good if he's away to a rival.

Conveniently swerving the point MW, Dylan walks in, but started less than 50% of games during his time at Hibs. The rest of the time he was injured? Maybe injury is a thing of the past for him, but that record makes him an expensive gamble, one Aberdeen are welcome to take.

I liked Dylan’s footballing ability, but maybe, like Scott Allan, the foil that was McGinn helped them perform to a greater extent than was appreciated at the time?

I trust that Ross knows more about Dylan and what Hibs need right now than we do. On that basis, ces't la vie.

GreenOnions
07-01-2020, 05:41 PM
I will be very disappointed if Dylan signs for Aberdeen. The Dons fans will get a shock when someone in their midfield actually wants to play football.

I cannot imagine that Jack Ross wouldn't be interested in Dylan. If JR has decided against making a move for him it would have to be based more on the limited available budget/other types of player being a greater priority at the moment issues I reckon.

Most on here would agree we need more physicality/energy etc in the middle of the park so, without knowing our available budget, it's hard to know whether we should be in for Dylan or not.

Doesn't stop me being disappointed though. Dylan is a proper footballer.

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 05:41 PM
To be fair to him he did say “sign better”. Vela is already signed.

I’m sure we got told similar in the summer though like when we signed Vela.

Robbo6-2
07-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Sad day if he ends up at that Gang.

Sad either if we weren't interested or if he choose them over us.

I genuinely dont see how he will fit into their style of play.

familyman
07-01-2020, 05:51 PM
It seems that when in Sunderland Dylan had little game times I reckon he just might feel JR would not be his best choice this time around....sad if so as he was/is a HUGE MISS for our Team

Hibees1973
07-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Great footballer, when fit.

Dylan didn’t play a lot under Ross at Sunderland. If he turns up in a Hibs jersey next week I would be delighted. If not we will have other targets. Aberdeen offer more money than us, which they have to given where it is and is a dire ground to play at. Think they have wealthy American owners who are willing to overspend to get what they want.

Under our last owner and this one we always spend within our means. This is the correct thing to do in the long-term interests of the club.

Ray_
07-01-2020, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=King conrad;6038139]Correct, such an underrated player and can't believe some don't want hi, [QUOTE]

He was part of the three man midfield that was widely recognised to be the best in Scotland outside Celtic. One of the trio we already have back and the other is at Villa and for some the other integral party is not up to it! I really don't get it, big Marv is rightly revered but his last season here he was consistently being exposed where Dylan was full of class and composure and importantly, he held on to possession, something all our current midfielders lack, as the amount of leads we have surrendered would testify to, I really struggle to understand what goes on at times on here.

keep the faith
07-01-2020, 05:56 PM
Dylan was good for us but we were better for him. I was genuinely shocked when he moved on after the patience we showed with his injuries.
No sour grapes from me but not too bothered he isn't coming back. He wouldn't transform our side and I dont think he will transform Aberdeen either.
Just my opinion of course.

bigwheel
07-01-2020, 06:31 PM
Dylan was good for us but we were better for him. I was genuinely shocked when he moved on after the patience we showed with his injuries.
No sour grapes from me but not too bothered he isn't coming back. He wouldn't transform our side and I dont think he will transform Aberdeen either.
Just my opinion of course.

I think his decision was deeply impacted by Lennon telling him he was free to go at the start of his last season. He must have felt largely unwanted at this stage. He chose to stick around, played almost every game and ended up out player of the season......he had more than earned the right to make his own choice..particularly after Lennon telling him to go earlier on.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 06:36 PM
Why would Dylan be convinced McInness and his bunch of hatchet ****s is the best way to go develop his career? That makes as little sense as JR not thinking McGeough is worth signing (in my opinion).

Barney McGrew
07-01-2020, 06:53 PM
There seems to be a lot of references to his fitness, but AKAIK he’s been fully fit for the last three seasons bar missing a handful of games at the start of last season after picking up a knock in the last game of preseason for Sunderland. Other than that, he’s been available for selection right through.

Its also worth noting he was picked by Jack Ross pretty much every week this season before he was sacked in October, and Sunderland only lost one game of the eight he started, Make of that what you will.

Finally, I believe that Dylan left Neil Lennon rather than Hibs. If Lennon hadn’t been there, I’m 100% sure he’d have signed a new contract with us that summer.

Robbo6-2
07-01-2020, 07:03 PM
There seems to be a lot of references to his fitness, but AKAIK he’s been fully fit for the last three seasons bar missing a handful of games at the start of last season after picking up a knock in the last game of preseason for Sunderland. Other than that, he’s been available for selection right through.

Its also worth noting he was picked by Jack Ross pretty much every week this season before he was sacked in October, and Sunderland only lost one game of the eight he started, Make of that what you will.

Finally, I believe that Dylan left Neil Lennon rather than Hibs. If Lennon hadn’t been there, I’m 100% sure he’d have signed a new contract with us that summer.

If all of the above is true, why hasn't Jack Ross tried to sign him for Hibs and or why has he choose Aberdeen?

B.H.F.C
07-01-2020, 07:07 PM

Seen this quite a lot but the best season of his career was under Lennon. Maybe Lennon wasn’t the problem where McGeough was concerned.

GreenCastle
07-01-2020, 07:22 PM
If all of the above is true, why hasn't Jack Ross tried to sign him for Hibs and or why has he choose Aberdeen?

Ross met him a few weeks ago but looks like he has chosen Aberdeen - like many have said probably due to more £ or Hibs have decided to look at other options. I’m not sure but would expect more £.

Ojo has done nothing since going up North - except being injured and a few red cards.

Dylan will be hard seeing playing for another team and shame he isn’t coming back as was the type of player who rarely gave the ball away and was unplayable at times.

Chorley Hibee
07-01-2020, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=King conrad;6038139]Correct, such an underrated player and can't believe some don't want hi, [QUOTE]

He was part of the three man midfield that was widely recognised to be the best in Scotland outside Celtic. One of the trio we already have back and the other is at Villa and for some the other integral party is not up to it! I really don't get it, big Marv is rightly revered but his last season here he was consistently being exposed where Dylan was full of class and composure and importantly, he held on to possession, something all our current midfielders lack, as the amount of leads we have surrendered would testify to, I really struggle to understand what goes on at times on here.

That's where I am with this too Ray.

We'll struggle to find a better player than Dylan.

Eyrie
07-01-2020, 07:40 PM
I'd love to have a fit McGeouch in our midfield, although we'd still need to bring in a workhorse for balance as Allan and McGeouch are lightweight.

But equally I'd prefer to see him on Aberdeen's treatment table than ours.

I'll trust Ross' judgement on this one. He knows what he has in the squad, what we need to add and the available budget for those additions. More importantly, he's already managed McGeouch this season.

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-01-2020, 07:42 PM
Like him but far too injury prone for us to take a chance on him, not for me.

Hibeesmad
07-01-2020, 07:45 PM
A fully fit McGeough is one of the best midfielders in the league, but what are the chances on having a fully fit McGeough who has started less than 10 games? in the last 18 months.

Unseen work
07-01-2020, 07:49 PM
People need to take off the green tinted specs if they’re wondering why Mcgeouch would join Aberdeen over us. They’ve finished above us for near 10 seasons in a row, get consistent European football and pay more than us. They’ve also just built a new state of the art training facility

He also might not fancy coming back and damaging his reputation after winning the Scottish cup.

I get a lot of players love playing for us whilst they’re here, but let’s face it we’re inconsistent to say the least and if they’re not fans they will follow the money more often than not.

Onion
07-01-2020, 07:52 PM
IMO only thing in question is his fitness. He's a fantastic player - like no one else we have at the club - and a Scottish Cup winning hero. We can all say "not bothered" about him going to Aberdeen to make ourselves feel a little better, but a fit McGeough is better than any other midfielder we have at the club, bar Allan, who's a different type completely. Allan, McGeough ... McGinn... Ron has the cash to bring them home :greengrin

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 07:56 PM
People need to take off the green tinted specs if they’re wondering why Mcgeouch would join Aberdeen over us. They’ve finished above us for near 10 seasons in a row, get consistent European football and pay more than us. They’ve also just built a new state of the art training facility

He also might not fancy coming back and damaging his reputation after winning the Scottish cup.

I get a lot of players love playing for us whilst they’re here, but let’s face it we’re inconsistent to say the least and if they’re not fans they will follow the money more often than not.

Then there’s fitting into their rugby union style of play and moving to Aberdeen.

NC1875
07-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Why would Dylan be convinced McInness and his bunch of hatchet ****s is the best way to go develop his career? That makes as little sense as JR not thinking McGeough is worth signing (in my opinion).

Money. Like when he went to Sunderland

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Money. Like when he went to Sunderland

Ultimately, yes.

CMurdoch
07-01-2020, 08:12 PM
Ross couldn't be better placed to make a decision on Dylan. Will know about his abilities and qualities but will also know his weaknesses and any injury issues.

Played 22 league games for Sunderland last season and 8 this season.
Not considered for selection over the festive period ..................due to a calf injury.
If Ross, all things considered, decided he was worth pushing the boat out for he would have.
Alternatively, Dylan may want to go to Aberdeen for a change or not to look like he was returning home to Hibs after failing at Sunderland.

Who knows?
What we do know is that Jack Ross was the perfect guy in our corner to weigh up a possible return for Dylan.
If I was McInnes there would be a wee bit of me worried about why Ross chose to pass on Dylan.
Time will, as always, tell.

jacomo
07-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Ross couldn't be better placed to make a decision on Dylan. Will know about his abilities and qualities but will also know his weaknesses and any injury issues.

Played 22 league games for Sunderland last season and 8 this season.
Not considered for selection over the festive period ..................due to a calf injury.
If Ross, all things considered, decided he was worth pushing the boat out for he would have.
Alternatively, Dylan may want to go to Aberdeen for a change or not to look like he was returning home to Hibs after failing at Sunderland.

Who knows?
What we do know is that Jack Ross was the perfect guy in our corner to weigh up a possible return for Dylan.
If I was McInnes there would be a wee bit of me worried about why Ross chose to pass on Dylan.
Time will, as always, tell.

These are all fair points.

fishybeaver
07-01-2020, 08:23 PM
No doubting his ability, but hasn't really kicked a ball since he left due to injuries, and imo not what our team needs at the moment, we need a hard ******* to put the boot in and run through walls for us...not a talented but injury prone type

truehibernian
07-01-2020, 08:26 PM
No doubting his ability, but hasn't really kicked a ball since he left due to injuries, and imo not what our team needs at the moment, we need a hard ******* to put the boot in and run through walls for us...not a talented but injury prone type

Our midfield needs industry and a bit of physicality and as you say, as good a player as Dylan is, not for me - I'd much rather we get Efe back to be honest. Much more to offer in a variety of positions.

SteveHFC
07-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Aberdeen have confirmed he’s signed.

ekhibee
07-01-2020, 08:31 PM

Liam Henderson is from Livingston.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2020, 08:33 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AberdeenFC/status/1214659963785756672

jeffers
07-01-2020, 08:33 PM
Aberdeen have confirmed he’s signed.

They seem to think he’s an attacking midfielder. They are in for a big disappointment.

BILLYHIBS
07-01-2020, 08:34 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AberdeenFC/status/1214659963785756672

:wtf:

jacomo
07-01-2020, 08:37 PM
They seem to think he’s an attacking midfielder. They are in for a big disappointment.

He was before he came to us.

Sad to see him holding a Dons shirt but best wishes to him (not against us obvs).

CMurdoch
07-01-2020, 08:37 PM
Cue mooth foamers

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2020, 08:38 PM
We're surely getting some top players if passing him up.

fishybeaver
07-01-2020, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the memories,we go marching on!!

MWHIBBIES

Are they? I thought he was an attacking midfielder when we got him, he certainly didn't disappoint me.

Stokesy's on fire
What a waste ending up at Aberdeen from the highs of Hibs and a cup win to a potentially huge career he ends up joining a team that has absolutely no redeeming qualities and a fan base of deluded tits.

Sir David Gray
07-01-2020, 08:41 PM
Gutted to see this news.

jeffers
07-01-2020, 08:42 PM
Are they? I thought he was an attacking midfielder when we got him, he certainly didn't disappoint me.

According to their official site he is. Yeah I thought he was one when we signed him too. Always wondered how good he’d have been if he had continued to play as one.

Vault Boy
07-01-2020, 08:42 PM
Disappointing, but we move on. Big task to sign a midfielder that'll help us forget about Dylan in the short term.

bigwheel
07-01-2020, 08:43 PM
What a waste ending up at Aberdeen from the highs of Hibs and a cup win to a potentially huge career he ends up joining a team that has absolutely no redeeming qualities and a fan base of deluded tits.

Hahaha. You definitely don’t like them do you [emoji2] - they do better than us on the pitch and off almost every season ....your tribal views make me laugh, but come in - Aberdeen are a top team in Scotland ..it’s a good move for him

J-C
07-01-2020, 08:44 PM
There could be many reasons why he's went to Aberdeen.

1. They offered more money.
2. We were never in for him anyway.
3. He was maybe offered to us but we have other priorities in the team.
4. He didn't want to came back.

We have to stop looking backwards at ex players wondering what if? We have to start looking forward.

Centre Hawf
07-01-2020, 08:45 PM
I have to say this really disappoints me. If we weren't in for him then we better have some cracking players lined up instead to justify why we weren't.

delbert
07-01-2020, 08:45 PM

We have to stop looking backwards at ex players wondering what if? We have to start looking forward.

You could have stopped that list at 1.

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 08:46 PM

We looked forward in the summer to league two and one, check the nick of the players we signed. No wonder we want special players like Dylan back.

Stokesy's on fire
07-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Hahaha. You definitely don’t like them do you [emoji2] - they do better than us on the pitch and off almost every season ....your tribal views make me laugh, but come in - Aberdeen are a top team in Scotland ..it’s a good move for him

Aberdeen have been punching above their weight for a while. But they aint no top team.

we are hibs
07-01-2020, 08:48 PM

Maybe if our signings in recent years had been better people wouldnt be pining after former players and would trust the club to adaquately sign the quality required. Given everyone knew we were lacking a defensive midfielder in the last window and we didnt sign one im not overly confident in us doing it this time.

Iain G
07-01-2020, 08:48 PM
Disappointing, but we move on. Big task to sign a midfielder that'll help us forget about Dylan in the short term.

That Henderson fella would help!

SquashedFrogg
07-01-2020, 08:50 PM

This.

Col2
07-01-2020, 08:51 PM
Total lack of ambition on our part.

It’s clear Jack Ross rates him, the club rate him yet we look we have been sleeping again while Aberdeen show some ambition.

2.5 year deal. Sounds like Aberdeen recruitment and medical people think he is a good investment then.

Gutted.

J-C
07-01-2020, 08:52 PM
We looked forward in the summer to league two and one, check the nick of the players we signed. No wonder we want special players like Dylan back.

That lies at the door of the piss poor manager called Heckingbottom, also think you're forgetting that McGeouch is/was a Div1 player, as is McNulty, a player many on here would be happy as hell to get back. Vela came with a decent rep at Bolton, no one expected him to be as poor as he's been, some players just don't work out at clubs, Dylan proved that at Sunderland.

MacGruber
07-01-2020, 08:53 PM

For me it's not ex players, it is just good players. Dylan was superb for us. I wanted him back as he is class and could control the tempo of games. Give me Dylan over Vela, Newall, James, Jackson etc.

There's plenty ex players I would have no intention of wanting back

J-C
07-01-2020, 08:54 PM

It’s clear Jack Ross rates him, the club rate him yet we look we have been sleeping again while Aberdeen show some ambition.

2.5 year deal. Sounds like Aberdeen recruitment and medical people think he is a good investment then.

Gutted.

How do you know he rates him and how do you know we were even interested in him?

SquashedFrogg
07-01-2020, 08:54 PM

Gutted.

Did we want him? Assume you know we 100% did?

I'd guess that maybe we didn't.

04Sauzee
07-01-2020, 08:55 PM
How do you know he rates him and how do you know we were even interested in him?

He doesn't

calumhibee1
07-01-2020, 08:56 PM
Feel like pure **** just wanted him back.

Col2
07-01-2020, 08:56 PM
For me it's not ex players, it is just good players. Dylan was superb for us. I wanted him back as he is class and could control the tempo of games. Give me Dylan over Vela, Newall, James, Jackson etc.

There's plenty ex players I would have no intention of wanting back

Spot on. There are dream ex players that won’t be back McGinn, Leigh etc but Dylan was clearly a realistic option. Tempo is the word. He had the ability to control games with close control and movement. Never when he had the ball did you feel he would lose it.

Hibs90
07-01-2020, 08:57 PM
McGeouch a class above Newell, Vela, Mallan, Slivka etc

A shame.

lucky
07-01-2020, 08:58 PM
He’s a good player when fit but he spent too much time injured during his time at Hibs as such I’m not convinced he’s a big loss, that’s if we even wanted him in the first place.

Jim44

Gutted.

I’m sure it would have been down to money and length of contract. It’s a great deal for him and probably one he couldn’t refuse.

flash

Gutted.
Didn't rate him enough to play him every week at Sunderland.

essexhibee
07-01-2020, 08:59 PM

Gutted.

I’m gutted too but no one knows the ins and out of this.

cabbageandribs1875
'kin Gutted

Col2
Did we want him? Assume you know we 100% did?

I'd guess that maybe we didn't.

Signed by Jack Ross for Sunderland.
Jack recently referenced him as a excellent player
Graeme Mathie was part of recruitment team that secured him originally and now SD.
Known to club - his medical history, his wage expectations, his agent etc etc.
We tried desperately to keep him 2.5 years ago.

I think it’s a fair bet that we would have been interested. But maybe we were too busy taking a break over Xmas and new year and Aberdeen have beaten us AGAIN to a key target?

neil7908
07-01-2020, 09:00 PM
A bit concerning.

We need to be closing the gap on Aberdeen and Dylan to them certainly won't help that.

We need to make a couple of ambitious signings this window.

Col2
07-01-2020, 09:01 PM
A bit concerning.

We need to be closing the gap on Aberdeen and Dylan to them certainly won't help that.

We need to make a couple of ambitious signings this window.

We won’t. We don’t do ambition since Lennon left. We have aspirations of 5th or 6th.

There is certainly ZERO sign with big Ron is helping push transfer over the line with a little extra investment.

B.H.F.C
07-01-2020, 09:02 PM
Graeme Mathie was part of recruitment team that secured him originally and now SD.

I think it’s a fair bet that we would have been interested. But maybe we were too busy taking a break over Xmas and new year and Andersen have beaten us AGAIN to a key target?

Still a fair point that he struggled to get a game under Ross, even when fit though.

flash
07-01-2020, 09:03 PM
We won’t. We don’t do ambition since Lennon left. We have aspirations of 5th or 6th.

How much has the transfer budget dropped since Lennon left?

Pretty Boy
07-01-2020, 09:04 PM
He's been a loss in the season and a half he's been gone. It's been referenced before but his ability to dictate the pace of a game, read a game and both keep and recycle the ball was a key component of what made us successful when he was in the side.

If we had a midfield packed with stars I'd understand the argument that he wasn't required but it's an area in which, a couple of player excepted, we are weak.

I have no idea if we were interested, I have no idea of his current fitness situation and I have no idea if he was interested in a return. I'm also not going to pretend he isn't a very good player who would be an upgrade on what we currently have just to make myself feel better though. Aberdeen have just made a very good signing, one which will see us have to do something pretty special to match.

Hibeesmad
07-01-2020, 09:04 PM
They are also close to agreeing a deal for Matty Kennedy on a pre contract apparently

Col2
07-01-2020, 09:05 PM
How much has the transfer budget dropped since Lennon left?

How much has the quality dropped since Lennon left?

I would bet that we are paying over the odds for average players. I don’t see where the ambition is.

SquashedFrogg
07-01-2020, 09:06 PM

I think it’s a fair bet that we would have been interested. But maybe we were too busy taking a break over Xmas and new year and Andersen have beaten us AGAIN to a key target?

Aye that'll be it. Everyone at Hibs was on a break. Laptops closed, phones off and away on our holibobs 🙄

Ok. Assuming you're correct and we 100% wanted him. Which you don't actually know. Perhaps he didn't want to join us?

Captain Trips
07-01-2020, 09:06 PM

I would bet that we are paying over the odds for average players. I don’t see where the ambition is.

The ambition is in the "over the odds wages" then is it not?

Pretty Boy
07-01-2020, 09:07 PM

Surely paying 'over the odds' is ambition of sorts?

I'm not convinced Hibs lack ambition, I'm just not sure we are as attractive a proposition, financial and football wise, as some like to think.

bigwheel
07-01-2020, 09:08 PM

We must have signed 10+ midfielders since McGeough left us...other than Allan none are as good as Dylan ...

What chance the next 1 or 2 are? It does feel
To me, that our recruitment ambition was better in the championship than it is now ....

B.H.F.C
07-01-2020, 09:08 PM

That’s no lack of ambition. It’s mismanagement.

Col2
07-01-2020, 09:09 PM
The ambition is in the "over the odds wages" then is it not?

No it’s just crap recruitment. Did any of us think in the summer that Hibs had been ambitious getting Vela, Jackson, Newal? We might have hoped but we were not talking marquee signings were we? Allan was the only one and he was agreed per contract through Lennon.

Frazerbob
07-01-2020, 09:09 PM

There is certainly ZERO sign with big Ron is helping push transfer over the line with a little extra investment.

It’s Lennon’s fault Dylan left in the first place.

SquashedFrogg
07-01-2020, 09:10 PM

I'm not convinced Hibs lack ambition, I'm just not sure we are as attractive a proposition, financial and football wise, as some like to think.

Last sentence is spot on.

Clarence
It’s not a great feeling to see him sign for them but I really think we do need to move onwards and upwards. Easier said than done but we have to put the recent past behind us and start writing some new history.

Captain Trips
No it’s just crap recruitment. Did any of us think in the summer that Hibs had been ambitious getting Vela, Jackson, Newal? We might have hoped but we were not talking marquee signings were we? Allan was the only one and he was agreed per contract through Lennon.

Which isn't a lack of ambition then its crap recruitment two different things.

Crab apple
07-01-2020, 09:11 PM
They are also close to agreeing a deal for Matty Kennedy on a pre contract apparently

Yes. As well as Stephen O’Donnell and Jimmy Dunne (loan).

Col2
07-01-2020, 09:12 PM

But we should be. We have all the infrastructure in place, we have a new owner, we are debt free and even Aberdeen need to find £50m plus for a new stadium but have never let the product on the pitch be impacted.

Captain Trips
07-01-2020, 09:12 PM
I will be interested in how our midfield shapes up once any signings have been made to truly know if this was the mistake it is getting made out to be.

Robbo6-2
07-01-2020, 09:14 PM
Does feel like kick in the teeth that hes choosen to sign with Aberdeen. May as well be signing fir Hearts, they are just as bad for me!.

Think the laddie chases the coin rather than play in an environment that suits.

He would of been a terrific signing fir us but hope he has a neck brace purchased with all that doh!

bigwheel
07-01-2020, 09:14 PM
I will be interested in how our midfield shapes up once any signings have been made to truly know if this was the mistake it is getting made out to be.

Tbh. Whilst I was a big Dylan fan I’m not that bothered...that said, I’m not confident we will bring in better..not seen much sign of than in recent windows ....

Heisenberg
07-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Yes. As well as Stephen O’Donnell and Jimmy Dunne (loan).

O’Donnell would be a great signing for them. One we should be interested in too. Although thanks to our fantastic summer recruitment we’re currently paying four right backs.

500miles
07-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Aberdeen will end up trying to play Dylan as a number 10.

mcfly
07-01-2020, 09:17 PM
I think we do lack ambition

When did we last beat a competitor to a signing?

Fact is crowds are dropping and will continue to.

Our signings this season apart from Doidge not 1 is a regular starter.

Ozyhibby

And Naismith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernhibee

I think it’s a fair bet that we would have been interested. But maybe we were too busy taking a break over Xmas and new year and Aberdeen have beaten us AGAIN to a key target?
Bit OTT when we’ve looked at the known knowns and thought “no thanks”.

500miles
07-01-2020, 09:19 PM

And Hallberg. And Naismith. And Allan.

SquashedFrogg

So we defo put an offer in for him? Thanks for confirming that. I thought people were just speculating.

Interesting to hear what terms we offered the player and club.

Captain Trips

Thats bad signings not a lack of ambition.

jeffers
07-01-2020, 09:20 PM
So the club are now getting slated for lack of ambition because we haven’t signed a player a poster on here heard our manager didn’t want in the first place. Have I got that one right ?

Captain Trips
07-01-2020, 09:21 PM
So the club are now getting slated for lack of ambition because we haven’t signed a player a poster on here heard our manager didn’t want in the first place. Have I got that one right ?

It appears that way so why are we not pissed off at every single signing all other clubs are making that we also never bidded for? Perhaps they will have been better than what we have.

hhibs
07-01-2020, 09:21 PM

Perhaps,because we lack ambition as a club and we are seen ,as lacking ambition?

IMO,I do think the club do lack ambition.

hibsboy69
07-01-2020, 09:22 PM
McGeough is class........the Aberdeen manager knows it

Astonishing if our manager wasn't interested in signing him :bitchy:

He often outshone John McGinn in our midfield and our current midfielders (Mallan, Vela, Slivka and Hallberg) couldn't lace McGeough's boots

Farrago :grr:

Golden Bear
07-01-2020, 09:24 PM
He seems to have signed for the Dons tonight, it will be interesting to see how he fits in and how many games he actually starts.

Since452
07-01-2020, 09:25 PM
Sky confirm he's signed for them

hhibs
07-01-2020, 09:26 PM
That’s no lack of ambition. It’s mismanagement.

That too.

mcfly
07-01-2020, 09:27 PM
And Hallberg. And Naismith. And Allan.

I’ll give you Hallberg,

Scott Allan was a pre contract so nothing to do with heckingbottom

Would argue Naismith wouldn’t be a regular when David Gray is fit.

My point relates to james, Jackson, vela, Newell , Maxwell. Not 1 has improved us.

If the club don’t show ambition then they do run the risk of losing the season tickets holders they gained.

makaveli1875
07-01-2020, 09:28 PM
If they can keep him fit its a good signing for them . If they cant he's going to be an expensive commodity sitting on the treatment table half the season

bigwheel
07-01-2020, 09:29 PM

Some are saying that ..others are just noting that he is a whole lot better than almost everyone we have in midfield ..and hoping that we will start to bring in the levels of quality that we used to ...

The Harp Awakes
07-01-2020, 09:32 PM

It has been obvious since pre-season that our midfield is weak and unbalanced. I know it's still early on in the transfer window but we desperately need to strengthen ahead of a big game at Tannadice in just over a week's time. If we do not do that it could well be end of season in mid-January. The best we can then hope for is to scrape into the top 6 and crowds will dwindle.

If the issue is we need to ship out players before we sign someone, then we are in a bad way.

I've got an open mind on Dylan. It doesn't seem to me that JR was desperate to sign him, which may be a telling factor. A great player for Hibs in the past, but I'm not sure another lightweight, injury prone midfielder is what we need just now.

SquashedFrogg
07-01-2020, 09:33 PM
Is that Ojo guy still pulling up trees for them?

I know he's injured but seem to remember people losing their **** about him in the summer. Crying that the club lacked ambition after pulling out of the deal.

Shrewd move in the end.

Stuart93
07-01-2020, 09:34 PM

He often outshone John McGinn in our midfield and our current midfielders (Mallan, Vela, Slivka and Hallberg) couldn't lace McGeough's boots

Firmly believe McGinn was that good at what he done he made McGeouch look as good as he did in his last season with us

So many people going OTT over the dons signing him. It won’t be long until he’s crocked for the rest of the season.

bigwheel
07-01-2020, 09:35 PM

I know he's injured but seem to remember people losing their **** about him in the summer. Crying that the club lacked ambition after pulling out of the deal.

Shrewd move in the end.

Tbh the long injury has resulted in no one knowing if he would have added quality to us...in his few games he certainly looked a more straight up DM compared to what we got

CapitalGreen
07-01-2020, 09:35 PM

Shrewd move in the end.

Our plan B to Ojo was Josh Vela

Stokesy's on fire
07-01-2020, 09:36 PM

Shrewd move in the end.

OJO has been rank for them we dodged a bullet and got hit by Vela instead

FilipinoHibs
07-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Our manager signed him and worked with him for a season and a half. Did not get regular starts during that time. I am sure if JR thought he was key we woukd have went after him. No evidence that we did.

Real Emerald
07-01-2020, 09:41 PM

I think you’re right about crowds. If we don’t improve the squad in this window we have no chance of selling as many season tickets next season. If we can’t compete with Aberdeen when we are averaging around 4000 more fans per game, we’ll never be near competitive if we drop down to their level. I understand they have other revenue streams but since Ron came in we are showing no sign of pushing to get targets over the line. Hecky’s comment that Efe would have to play for nothing if we were to sign him was a worrying statement.

It was said when Ron took over that it would help get transfer targets over the line with his financial backing. We’ll have to show some ambition in this window or pay the price with even less investment in ST sales.

Stokesy's on fire
07-01-2020, 09:44 PM
I think you’re right about crowds. If we don’t improve the squad in this window we have no chance of selling as many season tickets next season. If we can’t compete with Aberdeen when we are averaging around 4000 more fans per game, we’ll never be near competitive if we drop down to their level. I understand they have other revenue streams but since Ron came in we are showing no sign of pushing to get targets over the line. Hecky’s comment that Efe would have to play for nothing if we were to sign him was a worrying statement.

It was said when Ron took over that it would help get transfer targets over the line with his financial backing. We’ll have to show some ambition in this window or pay the price with even less investment in ST sales.

100% agree bang on

CMurdoch
07-01-2020, 09:55 PM

Shrewd move in the end.

Had a few calamities in his early games and then an injury.

Back playing now and looks pretty good to me and probably was the defensive mid we needed.
Not a great player but a decent Hibs/Aberdeen level player.
As usual time and games will tell.

Andy74
07-01-2020, 10:04 PM
It’s Lennon’s fault Dylan left in the first place.

Total nonsense.

HendoDelivered
07-01-2020, 10:09 PM

Spot on.

Iain G
07-01-2020, 10:14 PM

I think we were all fairly impressed with Vela given what was said about him and some of the teams who had shown interest? Jackson was a known quantity to Heckingbottom.

southern hibby
07-01-2020, 11:46 PM

Might be wrong but did we not beat Hearts to Jack Ross. If rumours are true they humped and hawed over him and we got him. ( Disclaimer, yes I know you meant players BUT you didn’t say that) 😉

GGTTH

The 90+2
08-01-2020, 12:40 AM

Shrewd move in the end.

Totally. We gave Josh Vela a three year deal instead.

The didnae want him anyway line doesn’t wash with McGeough mate, especially considering the ***** we’ve signed in midfield recently bar Allan.

The 90+2
08-01-2020, 12:42 AM

We get back to struggling in the bottom six and it will be “I would rather have 10,000 fans backing the team anyway”.

Just for once it would be good for our club to show ambition. Aberdeen sign our former player of the year, how do they afford that? Oh yeah they’ve a new owner.

cameronw-hfc
08-01-2020, 12:46 AM
Would like to see Vela tried in JR system. Clearly a player in there given his reputation before coming here.

The 90+2
08-01-2020, 01:03 AM
Would like to see Vela tried in JR system. Clearly a player in there given his reputation before coming here.

Would like to see Vela shipped back down to England to free up a wage.

1875STEVE
08-01-2020, 01:10 AM
I dunno why folk are acting surprised by this.

Of course their new owner has put cash in, but This sort of thing has been predicted for 2-3 seasons now, way back when HSL was branded a "ponzi scheme" and folk slagged it off.

Aberdeen's fans bought into their version.

Aberdeen now have a bigger budget, who'd have thunk it?

That's two players in a row chosen them over us. Get used to it.

Just be thankful Hearts are a mess, because if they were not, we'd be miles behind them as well.

FilipinoHibs
08-01-2020, 01:55 AM

Of course their new owner has put cash in, but This sort of thing has been predicted for 2-3 seasons now, way back when HSL was branded a "ponzi scheme" and folk slagged it off.

Just be thankful Hearts are a mess, because if they were not, we'd be miles behind them as well.

Where is the evidence we were in for Dylan?

fishybeaver
08-01-2020, 05:31 AM

Jezzo..you must be fun at a party!!

green day
08-01-2020, 05:44 AM

I dont disagree with some of your post, but the bit in bold isnt 100% right - Aberdna is a miniscule amount of money versus what they are anticipating for McKenna and Cosgrove - that is several million reasons why they can outbid anyone else outside Rangers and Celtic on wages / fees.

We dont even know if DM was offered to us, but in a straight fight over wages, Aberdeen would win.

Rangers and Celtic are light years away financially, theres a huge gap to Aberdeen, then a big gap to us/Hearts. Its pretty simple really, and people greetin about us losing players to Aberdeen need to open their eyes.

CB_NO3
08-01-2020, 06:16 AM
Our record wage bill was blown at the start of the season. The damage has been done. We need to remove the likes of Maxwell, Vela and Jackson before we bring a couple in.

Dylan is not what we need just now. He is another lightweight player and we have plenty in Boyle, Horgan, Mallan, Allan and Halberg. We need some muscle in the middle of the park.

I also think McGinn made Dylan look good. There is a reason one is playing in the Premiership and the other has went back to SPFL.

sambajustice
08-01-2020, 06:19 AM
Let's not rewrite history and say the guy was pish for us, he wasn't. But played in a team that spent 3 years in the second division and was injured quite a bit.

Given his likely wage demands, its maybe one worth avoiding if he can only manage around 25 games a season out of 40-45 games.

Brightside
08-01-2020, 06:46 AM
As others have already pointed out. We were never in for Dylan. Some may not like that but we weren’t out bid or anything else. Dylan was offered around by his agent and only Aberdeen bid for him.

Currie Hibee
08-01-2020, 06:59 AM
Aberdeen generate a fortune from commercial / corporate sponsorship compared to Hibs. If it is a purely financial decision then they will normally pay more than Hibs. Like Scott Allan you sometimes realise it’s not all about the cash!

chrisski33
08-01-2020, 07:02 AM
Fk him!

Since452
08-01-2020, 07:03 AM
As others have already pointed out. We were never in for Dylan. Some may not like that but we weren’t out bid or anything else. Dylan was offered around by his agent and only Aberdeen bid for him.

Correct

Booked4Being-Ugly
08-01-2020, 07:03 AM
We might have never been in for him because we already knew we couldn’t match his wage demands and the fallacy of getting into a bidding war again with Aberdeen.

jacomo
08-01-2020, 07:09 AM
I dont disagree with some of your post, but the bit in bold isnt 100% right - Aberdna is a miniscule amount of money versus what they are anticipating for McKenna and Cosgrove - that is several million reasons why they can outbid anyone else outside Rangers and Celtic on wages / fees.

We dont even know if DM was offered to us, but in a straight fight over wages, Aberdeen would win.

Rangers and Celtic are light years away financially, theres a huge gap to Aberdeen, then a big gap to us/Hearts. Its pretty simple really, and people greetin about us losing players to Aberdeen need to open their eyes.

Gotta admit, I also struggle to understand why Aberdeen should be ahead of us. Why should they outbid us for players?

bigwheel
08-01-2020, 07:11 AM
Gotta admit, I also struggle to understand why Aberdeen should be ahead of us. Why should they outbid us for players?

they have more money than us - average salary 180k about 1/3rd more than us ...

green day
08-01-2020, 07:14 AM

Because they have a larger budget than us, they know - for example - that they are about to get +£10m for McKenna and Cosgrove and can hence outbid averyone outside Huns / Celtic

Stuart93
08-01-2020, 07:14 AM

Because they have more money? They bring in more money & their owner is willing to part with his cash to fund transfers

We shouldn’t be behind but their club is also run a lot better than hours unfortunately

Peevemor
08-01-2020, 07:31 AM
Because they have more money? They bring in more money & their owner is willing to part with his cash to fund transfers

We shouldn’t be behind but their club is also run a lot better than hours unfortunately

They're in a one-team city which commercially changes everything.

In Edinburgh, businesses looking to sponsor, advertise or use corporate facilities have the choice of Hibs, Hearts or the rugby - with the later often being seen as the easiest and most prestigious choice.

In Aberdeen they've the choice of ... Aberdeen FC.

This and an owner piling in personal cash isn't proof that Aberdeen are run "a lot better" than us - far from it.

Stuart93
08-01-2020, 07:34 AM

In Edinburgh, businesses looking to sponsor, advertise or use corporate facilities have the choice of Hibs, Hearts or the rugby - with the later often being seen as the easiest and most prestigious choice.

This and an owner piling in personal cash isn't proof that Aberdeen are run "a lot better" than us - far from it.

What I should’ve said is commercially they’re run a lot better than us and bring in a lot more money that way

There’s no reason for us to be as far behind in that respect especially considering we’re situated in the capital city. We don’t do anywhere near enough to drum up income.

You only have to look at our sponsor this season for evidence of that

Peevemor
08-01-2020, 07:37 AM
What I should’ve said is commercially they’re run a lot better than us and bring in a lot more money that way

There’s no reason for us to be as far behind in that respect especially considering we’re situated in the capital city. We don’t do anywhere near enough to drum up income.

What do you mean by commercially? If you mean corporate stuff then I've given you reasons - it's far, far easier for Aberdeen than for Hibs or Hearts.

WeeRussell
08-01-2020, 07:55 AM

If you’re suggesting that Aberdeen fans’ modest wages are paying for Dylan McGeough’s inflated wages then I won’t lose sleep over the fact it’s not us.

jacomo
08-01-2020, 07:59 AM

Yes that makes sense. Edinburgh has more money overall, but I suppose if there is a pool of, say, 6 local companies with deep pockets and only one major sports team, you are going to clear up.

Peevemor
08-01-2020, 08:09 AM
Yes that makes sense. Edinburgh has more money overall, but I suppose if there is a pool of, say, 6 local companies with deep pockets and only one major sports team, you are going to clear up.

In addition, the bigger companies with their head offices in Edinburgh will generally sponsor events (leagues, cups, other sporting tournaments, etc.) or national teams as opposed to individuals or local teams. Businesses not qute big enough for that may be reluctant to choose Hibs or Hearts at the risk of upsetting one set of fans so will give their sponsorship/corporate business to the SRU or even other events during the festival(s), etc.

MikeyS
08-01-2020, 08:15 AM
Jezzo..you must be fun at a party!!

He's not wrong though.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Our commercial performance would be significantly better had we not failed to secure a shirt sponsor then tried to dress it up as a moral decision.

Even allowing for mitigating factors we are performing below par when it comes to the commercial side of the business. The various new roles advertised in that area and reallocation of duties to those roles from existing ones since Ron Gordon bought the club suggests he agrees.

number9dream
08-01-2020, 08:23 AM

It's definitely an area that has to be improved and I'm sure wee Ron is working on it. Edinburgh is teeming with wealth compared to most UK cities.
Without knowing what Laura Montgomery is doing all day, I don't want to be overly critical but we really should be raising more funds through corporate partnerships, seeking benefactors etc.

Back on topic, gutted to see DMcG going to the Dons, just hope we can pull off a strong midfield signing this month. One key signing could make a huge difference for the second half of the season.

CockneyRebel
08-01-2020, 08:36 AM
In addition, the bigger companies with their head offices in Edinburgh will generally sponsor events (leagues, cups, other sporting tournaments, etc.) or national teams as opposed to individuals or local teams. Businesses not qute big enough for that may be reluctant to choose Hibs or Hearts at the risk of upsetting one set of fans so will give their sponsorship/corporate business to the SRU or even other events during the festival(s), etc.

Why is this so hard for folk to understand? If a company sponsor one club in Edinburgh then they alienate half the town away from their business. Simples.

basehibby
08-01-2020, 08:37 AM
What do you mean by commercially? If you mean corporate stuff then I've given you reasons - it's far, far easier for Aberdeen than for Hibs or Hearts.

Aberdeen is a lot smaller than Edinburgh and Edinburgh is a hell of a lot more prestigious - as well as overflowing with moneyed businesses.

Aberdeen may have somehow built up a lead over the years commercially but there is ZERO reason that should be accepted as a fate acomplis - this is EDINBURGH not Eccle-****in-******!!!

banchoryhibs
08-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Our commercial performance would be significantly better had we not failed to secure a shirt sponsor then tried to dress it up as a moral decision.

Even allowing for mitigating factors we are performing below par when it comes to the commercial side of the business. The various new roles advertised in that area and reallocation of duties to those roles from existing ones since Ron Gordon bought the club suggests he agrees.

I've got to wholly agree with this. Whilst Sir Tom and Rod's role in our history is secure we've perhaps not connected with Edinburgh's wider business community as well as we might.

Ron's appointments do indeed suggest that he's looking to change this and I think that Archie Paton will have a very influential role to play in new, and hopefully very profitable, initiatives. Archie's CV is vey impressive.

Alfred E Newman
08-01-2020, 08:59 AM
I've got to wholly agree with this. Whilst Sir Tom and Rod's role in our history is secure we've perhaps not connected with Edinburgh's wider business community as well as we might.

Ron's appointments do indeed suggest that he's looking to change this and I think that Archie Paton will have a very influential role to play in new, and hopefully very profitable, initiatives. Archie's CV is vey impressive.

Ron's role in our history is still unknown. Time will tell.

brog
08-01-2020, 09:03 AM

Total shock! The manager who didn't select DM for Sunderland was not interested in signing him for Hibs.

FilipinoHibs
08-01-2020, 09:07 AM
Total shock! The manager who didn't select DM for Sunderland was not interested in signing him for Hibs.

I am gob smacked as well. He must know nothing about him. Signed him and then was with him every day for 18 months. He should listen to Hibs Net before making anymore rash calls on players.

Since452
08-01-2020, 09:15 AM

It is shocking. Hibs.net know better than the guy who signed him then had him in training every day. It's almost as if Ross doesn't read this forum

Just_Jimmy
08-01-2020, 09:16 AM
I am gob smacked as well. He must know nothing about him. Signed him and then was with him every day for 18 months. He should listen to Hibs Net before making anymore rash calls on players.Whilst that's true, the fans that watched DM for 3 or so years for Hibs are not complete mugs. They know DM is better than anything on our books bar SA and MH (at what he does). They know he's an outstanding player at our level and they know he has a connection to the club already.

They also know that he's just gone to a direct rival who has again been able to secure a target that really should have been a no brainer for Hibs.

But never mind eh. Hibs weren't interested.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

davhibby
08-01-2020, 09:39 AM
I don’t think Dylan will do well. Another move to a club where the style won’t suit him and he’s barely played all season. As much as it would have been nice, this window certainly wasn’t the time for us to look at him as we have other positions in more need, we’d have just ended up further in to the situation we’ve had all season with having too much of the same in midfield.

tonyrougier123
08-01-2020, 09:50 AM
Guy canny stay fit enough to be a consistent asset anywhere he goes,we should most definitely look elsewhere.

GreenCastle
08-01-2020, 09:51 AM

So did Jack Ross (as Hibs manager) speak with Dylan before Xmas ?

Peevemor
08-01-2020, 09:56 AM
So did Jack Ross (as Hibs manager) speak with Dylan before Xmas ?

He may well have done.

It's possible that JR was interested in Dylan but only up to a certain price (wage).

Lago
08-01-2020, 10:11 AM
Never really got the impression that McGeoch was ever truly committed to Hibs, had to be persuade to sign permanent contract, lot of time out injured, just want to concentrate on my football not worry about a new contract, oh I've signed for Sunderland.... bye👋

tonyrougier123
08-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Never really got the impression that McGeoch was ever truly committed to Hibs, had to be persuade to sign permanent contract, lot of time out injured, just want to concentrate on my football not worry about a new contract, oh I've signed for Sunderland.... bye👋
This!

FilipinoHibs
08-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Whilst that's true, the fans that watched DM for 3 or so years for Hibs are not complete mugs. They know DM is better than anything on our books bar SA and MH (at what he does). They know he's an outstanding player at our level and they know he has a connection to the club already.

They also know that he's just gone to a direct rival who has again been able to secure a target that really should have been a no brainer for Hibs.

For very good reason. We need a bit of grit in midfield. Not a ball player who is injury prone.

J-C
08-01-2020, 10:19 AM

I dont think he ever bought into Hibs in the way Gray, McGinn etc did, it seems he was just an employee doing his job, I never felt a connection with him.

Baader
08-01-2020, 10:22 AM
Big fan of DM but let's be honest, how many games is he going to get before injuries flare up again? Players that are so injury prone like him can disrupt sides by constantly being out and coming back in.

makaveli1875
08-01-2020, 10:24 AM
Would like to see Vela shipped back down to England to free up a wage.

He's apparently injured and did not travel to spain , no chance he's going anywhere this month

SquashedFrogg
08-01-2020, 10:26 AM
He may well have done.

It's possible that JR was interested in Dylan but only up to a certain price (wage).

Are you suggesting that football clubs have limits on players wages, and that players often base a move around money?

More likely Ross outlined the clubs lack of vision and ambition to him. PowerPoint style.

Hibiza
08-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Big fan of DM but let's be honest, how many games is he going to get before injuries flare up again? Players that are so injury prone like him can disrupt sides by constantly being out and coming back in.spot on

jacomo
08-01-2020, 10:28 AM

He signed him though. And Dylan was very good for us... and we desperately need something in midfield.

I will trust JR on this one but am impatient for positive news!

J-C
08-01-2020, 10:32 AM
He's apparently injured and did not travel to spain , no chance he's going anywhere this month

Has he been injured since the beginning of November with a thigh strain? Never heard a thing about Vela then suddenly has a thigh strain when asked about him.

Carheenlea
08-01-2020, 10:42 AM
I think Hallberg offers better value so not that disappointed he’s signed for Aberdeen. It’s a good move on paper for him, but we’ll see what the reality is like in due course for his spell up there. It’s no secret what kind of midfielder Jack Ross is looking to get in, and Dylan McGeouch doesn’t fit that mould.

Just_Jimmy
08-01-2020, 10:59 AM
For very good reason. We need a bit of grit in midfield. Not a ball player who is injury prone.That's fine. It may have been the managers decision which is the correct way to run it. However they best hope whoever we bring in brings better balance and that he isn't outshone by the way DM performs for Aberdeen because it won't go away otherwise.

I also don't believe it has to be one or the other, we need grit etc but we also need genuinely good ball playing midfielders and as I said, DM is better than what we have. The fitness may or may not be an issue.

jgl07
08-01-2020, 11:31 AM
Whilst that's true, the fans that watched DM for 3 or so years for Hibs are not complete mugs. They know DM is better than anything on our books bar SA and MH (at what he does). They know he's an outstanding player at our level and they know he has a connection to the club already.

He is also so injury prone as to offer poor value for money. How many matches did Dylan play for Hibs as opposed to being on the treatment table?

MWHIBBIES
08-01-2020, 11:32 AM
He is also so injury prone as to offer poor value for money. How many matches did Dylan play for Hibs as opposed to being on the treatment table?

More than enough to be a terrific player.

bigwheel
08-01-2020, 11:34 AM

Not sure he missed a game in his last season here ....

Since90+2
08-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Dylan was fantastic for us. Undoubtedly one of the top 3 or 4 midfielders we've had in the last decade.

Just_Jimmy
08-01-2020, 11:39 AM
He is also so injury prone as to offer poor value for money. How many matches did Dylan play for Hibs as opposed to being on the treatment table?Enough that he was talked about as POY when he was here. People can offer reasons to why we'd not resign or not be in the hunt to resign him, fact is we'll struggle to match or better is quality and once again Aberdeen have an excellent player we could have been in contention for.

Col2
08-01-2020, 11:41 AM
It’s worth reading the Sunderland fans comments on the back of the press release. Majority say he was most talented CM they had.

GreenCastle
08-01-2020, 11:42 AM

20 games - 1st season
19 - 2nd
18 - 3rd
35 - 4th

Sunderland played 22 and 8 games.

How many games missed due to injury we probably won’t know. But I do know on his day he was unplayable.

Peevemor
08-01-2020, 11:44 AM

He did - I'm not sure about other games but he definitely missed a match or two when he was waiting on his mask.

MrRobot
08-01-2020, 11:47 AM
I think we were all fairly impressed with Vela given what was said about him and some of the teams who had shown interest? Jackson was a known quantity to Heckingbottom.

I'd like to see if Vela can offer something under Ross before looking to empty him. He's not even made one match day squad since PH left.

matty_f
08-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Mentioned this on other threads, but we didn't miss out to Aberdeen - Dylan would have signed for Hibs if we'd been interested. Ross told him he wanted a different type of midfielder, and Dylan took Aberdeen's offer after that. He also knocked back Hearts, by the way - they wanted to speak to him but he didn't entertain them.

The 90+2
08-01-2020, 12:24 PM
Mentioned this on other threads, but we didn't miss out to Aberdeen - Dylan would have signed for Hibs if we'd been interested. Ross told him he wanted a different type of midfielder, and Dylan took Aberdeen's offer after that. He also knocked back Hearts, by the way - they wanted to speak to him but he didn't entertain them.

This my friend will come back to bite us on the arse I reckon.

MikeyS
08-01-2020, 12:26 PM

I agree, cant go turning down quality like that.

Intrigued to see who we do bring in now.

matty_f
08-01-2020, 12:28 PM

It depends who else we sign instead, I suppose.

There's a whole world of footballers out there, Dylan's one we know but there are plenty others and dare I say plenty better players that fit closer to what we need at the moment.

I'm a huge fan of Dylan's, I'd have loved to have seen him come back and am gutted to see him sign for Aberdeen, but ultimately Jack Ross will live or die on his signings, and he knows much better than I do exactly what he's getting from Dylan, so if he's considered it and decided against it, then you have to think he's confident that's the right decision.

There's not a manager in football who would purposely pass on a player that could keep them in a job. If Ross thought he was essential,he'd be a Hibs player.

heretoday
08-01-2020, 12:29 PM
Shame but it's a good move for Dylan.
Sunderland are a crock.

tonyrougier123
08-01-2020, 12:31 PM
Be lucky if he plays 6 games between now and may imo.

Injury prone laddie.

Best taking a wage elsewhere.

Good cup winner,had a terrific last season with us.

But lets get a fit strong player in.

tonyrougier123
08-01-2020, 12:37 PM
Anybody thinking we passed on him is deluded,he was headhunted by aberdeen and they will pay him handsomely.
I wouldnae let this be a jack ross didnae want him or hibs couldnae afford him thread or this place will explode in febuary.
Be prepared for another one of those windows folks!

davhibby
08-01-2020, 12:43 PM

So if signing Dylan meant we couldn’t afford the dm we’ll be wanting in you’d have been happy to carry on with an unbalanced midfield for the rest of the season?

The 90+2
08-01-2020, 01:11 PM
So if signing Dylan meant we couldn’t afford the dm we’ll be wanting in you’d have been happy to carry on with an unbalanced midfield for the rest of the season?

How would it be unbalanced if Dylan has played, successfully as a holding midfielder many times before?