I'd take him.

cocopops1875
07-01-2020, 11:29 AM
I'd take him.

As Waterboy ?

Moody Blues
07-01-2020, 11:30 AM
I'd take him.

Definately not for me. A totally backward step.

Jim44
07-01-2020, 11:31 AM
You’re welcome to him.

Since452
Slower than a week in jail and injury prone. Very good player in his day but past it now

Peevemor
I'd take him.

I probably could have when I was younger. I'm getting too old for paggering now though.

hibee316
07-01-2020, 11:32 AM
I'd take him.

To dinner?

Brightside
07-01-2020, 11:32 AM
I'd take him.

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
07-01-2020, 11:33 AM
I'd take him.

Good shout.

He can fill in for your credibility. :wink:

Sylar
07-01-2020, 11:34 AM
If he could stay fit and healthy, definitely.

Sadly, he can't.

Biggie
07-01-2020, 11:36 AM
He'll get a gig with the WWF.....'kin spends more time wrestling with players

lyonhibs
07-01-2020, 11:37 AM
If he could stay fit and healthy, definitely.

Sadly, he can't.

Even when he's fit, he's a carthorse that hoofs anything and everything at any opportunity.

Hilarious suggestion from the OP, made me chuckle on a dull Tuesday :thumbsup:

Diclonius
07-01-2020, 11:38 AM
No

neil7908
07-01-2020, 11:38 AM
I'd take him.

Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

southern hibby
07-01-2020, 11:43 AM
Wouldn’t have him as a ball boy. Probably too slow for that.

GGTTH

Cataplana
07-01-2020, 11:49 AM
I think Hearts were insane to offer him the deal they did. If he is going to keep playing it will have to be at a lower level, where pace isn't as important.

EdinMike
07-01-2020, 11:52 AM
I think Hearts were insane to offer him the deal they did. If he is going to keep playing it will have to be at a lower level, where pace isn't as important.

What lower league club could afford him ? Cause hearts can’t afford to pay him off clearly if they can’t finish their supermarket stand.

Hibs4185
07-01-2020, 11:53 AM
I'd take him.

Christophe if that’s you, your finished mate. No point touting yourself around bigger and better clubs.

California-Hibs
07-01-2020, 11:53 AM
Surely a wynd up, guys rotten now!! Also far too big a Jambo! Imagine the headline - Hibs sign Hearts top goal scorer'

J-C
07-01-2020, 11:57 AM
I'd take him.

Either a Jambo at the wind up or a good case of trolling, some of the threads on here at times are crackers.

Pretty Boy
07-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Slower than a week in Saughton, injury prone and about 5 years past his best.

3 year deal. No brainer.

Sammy7nil
07-01-2020, 11:58 AM
I'd take him.

I don't know if you could I have heard he can fight.

Steve20
07-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Not a chance. He's well past it.

He'll end up at Dundee Utd with Neilson.

Hiber-nation
07-01-2020, 12:02 PM
I'd take him.

You weren't at the recent Derby, didn't watch it on TV, and haven't watched the highlights of any Hearts game this season.

HFC93
07-01-2020, 12:05 PM
I'd take him.

Berra a few years ago yes. Not now though.

But I think he could do a job for someone.

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 12:08 PM
I didn’t realise I logged into Edinburghcity.net.

Pretty Boy
Berra a few years ago yes. Not now though.

But I think he could do a job for someone.

Standard Life? Tesco?

heretoday
He's had a good innings.

Sir David Gray
07-01-2020, 12:12 PM
Maybe about 10 years ago no danger I'd take him now.

Renfrew_Hibby
07-01-2020, 12:16 PM
Carthorse.

jakedance
07-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Quality trolling by the OP. Or he knows **** all about football. Either way, good job.

Smartie
07-01-2020, 12:26 PM
I'd take him.

Me too, but only as an exercise in getting folk to appreciate Paul Hanlon a bit more.

It does seem to have been a pretty sharp decline for Berra. I remember when he got chucked back into the Scotland team with Mulgrew a couple of years ago and I was horrified - but in fairness to him he did well and they forged as strong a partnership as we have seen Scotland have for some time (albeit only over half a qualifying campaign). Even last year, he'd probably have been one of the first Hearts players you'd take.

The Berra of this season has been a laughing stock for them. I'm torn on what to think about it because whilst his playing persona (and being a Hearts captain) isn't necessarily something I love, he seems a decent sort - I feel quite sorry for him and I don't think he deserves what is currently raining down on him. It would be nice to see him go somewhere for half a season and rebuild his reputation - such as heading off to Hamilton, playing a blinder for half a season and relegating Hearts.

Re the OP trolling - it's a valid opinion and one worth putting out there from someone who is not a troll. This must be a fairly unique situation where the captain of our greatest rivals becomes available and the consensus would be against him joining, not so much because of who he is or where he'd be coming from but from being able to improve our team. Most clubs in world football would be able to accommodate their rivals' captain on purely footballing terms.

Waxy
07-01-2020, 12:33 PM
Quality trolling by the OP. Or he knows **** all about football. Either way, good job.

I guess troll.

I'm Spartacus
07-01-2020, 12:34 PM
I'd take him.

I'm guessing you run the car wash along Ferry Road and this was meant for the works group chat?

bigwheel
07-01-2020, 12:35 PM
I'm guessing you run the car wash along Ferry Road and this was meant for the works group chat?

[emoji23]

Winston Ingram
07-01-2020, 12:39 PM

:top marks

NC1875
07-01-2020, 12:47 PM
Apparently on 6 grand a week as well. Brilliant if they have to pay up 18 months of that.

Oh and he’s brutal now so no thanks

The Count
07-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Hearts way to deal with good servants to the club.Telling him to train with the reserves.Remember they billed Willie Baild for the cost of the ball at his testimonial.Club lacks class.We would never treat a good servants like that

WoreTheGreen
07-01-2020, 01:58 PM
Berra got married on Friday some weeding present from that lot

Real Emerald
07-01-2020, 02:01 PM
Was it a hoe 😂

Peevemor
07-01-2020, 02:02 PM

Has he been put on gardening leave?

WoreTheGreen
07-01-2020, 02:02 PM
Was it a hoe 😂

The heave hoe more like

Hermit Crab
07-01-2020, 02:03 PM
I'd take him.

Are you nuts? He's murder.

Greencore
07-01-2020, 02:20 PM
Go on berra stay with them and get your 6 k a week

Bleed them dry

Victor
07-01-2020, 02:32 PM
Carthorse.

Bit unfair, considering all he has done for Hibs. His set up for Boyle’s first goal, in the last Derby, was sublime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
07-01-2020, 02:40 PM
Hearts way to deal with good servants to the club.Telling him to train with the reserves.Remember they billed Willie Baild for the cost of the ball at his testimonial.Club lacks class.We would never treat a good servants like that

Completely classless club. There are more respectful ways of shifting players. Particularly a current club captain.

Defo a money move though. Punt him to train with reserves is a big 'someone take him off our wage bill in Jan' kinda move.

Otherwise there would have been a more amicable and subtle way of phasing him out.

Saying all that. He's still a prick.

Since452
07-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Boy just got married too. Would have had most, if not all of the players there on Friday then training with the kids yesterday. Great for team spirit!

monarch
07-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Probably not now but back in the day we gave Gordon Smith a free transfer because we thought he was finished through injury. He then went on to win league winners medals with Hearts and Dundee, also playing in the European Cup with both teams.

Imagine a player in Scotland today winning league championships with 3 different clubs in total all outwith the Old Firm. Will never happen again.

ancient hibee
07-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Hi
Probably not now but back in the day we gave Gordon Smith a free transfer because we thought he was finished through injury. He then went on to win league winners medals with Hearts and Dundee, also playing in the European Cup with both teams.

Imagine a player in Scotland today winning league championships with 3 different clubs in total all outwith the Old Firm. Will never happen again.
Yes the club didn’t want to pay for an ankle ‘op’ despite having a surgeon on the board.Smith paid for it himself.A little later of course they sold Joe Baker because he had the cheek to ask for another fiver a week.

Iggy Pope
07-01-2020, 02:59 PM

Gordon Smith got a free transfer as a goodwill gesture by the club who, as you say, thought his top flight career was at an end. That free transfer arrived several years after he was given a lucrative testimonial. He was amongst the highest paid players in Britain at the time.

Cataplana
07-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Stanley Matthews fell out with the FA because they wouldn't pay for a bun he bought on a railway journey.

He said, only the FA would treat footballers that way. The FA said, "only a footballer would think to claim for it.'

I've always thought Willie Bauld was a bit petty about that situation. I went to school with his nephew, and when he told me that story, I remember thinking "he mustn't have made much money at the gate if he was worried about the price of the ball."

Hearts could have been a bit more fly and included the ball in "expenses", but maybe Willie was a tight wad, and wanted the breakdown.

The other thing is, why was he the only person to fall out with the club over it?

Bostonhibby
07-01-2020, 03:10 PM
I'd take him.Where did you have in mind?

He's going to have a bit of free time.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Anthony Soprano
07-01-2020, 03:15 PM
I probably could have when I was younger. I'm getting too old for paggering now though.

:faf::faf::faf:

On a serious note though, I hope OP is joking.

Ozyhibby
07-01-2020, 03:16 PM
Berra, Naismith, Whittaker, McGregor and Gray all had long term contracts recently while in their 30’s? Getting them on the pitch and performing has been problematic in all 5 cases. Hibs need to stop signing old players based on previous performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
07-01-2020, 03:16 PM

Imagine a player in Scotland today winning league championships with 3 different clubs in total all outwith the Old Firm. Will never happen again.Definitely see your point based on the times as they were then, but on the off chance that Berraog might go on to achieve the same if we relieved the maroon balloons of their obligation to pay him silly money for 18 months I'll pass.

Good effort though[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Gaffer1875
07-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Never understood the hype with Berra. He will end up at Tannadice.

1van Sprou7e
07-01-2020, 03:41 PM
Berra, Naismith, Whittaker, McGregor and Gray all had long term contracts recently while in their 30’s? Getting them on the pitch and performing has been problematic in all 5 cases. Hibs need to stop signing old players based on previous performance.

Difference is with gray and McGregor it was laid out clear that they would move into coaching and Whittaker ended up doing the same

Other key difference is that Berra and Naismith are on serious big bucks

Billy Whizz
07-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Just saw his interview on BBC site, you can see he’s hurting

Aldo
07-01-2020, 03:52 PM
If the truth about his weekly wage is true it will cost the yams in excess of 400 grand to get rid of Him.

Pleasing.

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2020, 04:50 PM
I feel for the guy, looks like it could have been handled much better and more respect shown to the club captain. Piss poor from the manager.

Sir David Gray
07-01-2020, 04:52 PM
Just saw his interview on BBC site, you can see he’s hurting

Shame.

sambajustice
07-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Apparently on 6 grand a week as well. Brilliant if they have to pay up 18 months of that.

Oh and he’s brutal now so no thanks

They must be strapped for cash. Wouldn't surprise me if Naismith is next.

ancient hibee
07-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Gordon Smith got a free transfer as a goodwill gesture by the club who, as you say, thought his top flight career was at an end. That free transfer arrived several years after he was given a lucrative testimonial. He was amongst the highest paid players in Britain at the time.

Stanley Matthews fell out with the FA because they wouldn't pay for a bun he bought on a railway journey.

He said, only the FA would treat footballers that way. The FA said, "only a footballer would think to claim for it.'

I've always thought Willie Bauld was a bit petty about that situation. I went to school with his nephew, and when he told me that story, I remember thinking "he mustn't have made much money at the gate if he was worried about the price of the ball."

Hearts could have been a bit more fly and included the ball in "expenses", but maybe Willie was a tight wad, and wanted the breakdown.

The other thing is, why was he the only person to fall out with the club over it?

Sorry to be a bore about nothing to do with Berra.It was readily accepted by Hibs fans at the time that Hibs did not give Smith a free as a goodwill gesture but because they did not want to pay him when he was going to need an operation to continue his career.He was renowned for having a high level of general fitness so there was little doubt that when his ankle was repaired he would continue to play.

Re Willie Bauld .Clearly He was the only person to fall out with the club over costs as he wanted to raise as much money from the gate as possible.There was no other money raised.

Johnny_Leith
07-01-2020, 05:41 PM
Brutal way to treat someone who's done a lot for their club. He's struggled since injury but you'd think they could go about moving him on in a better way. Training with the kids and punted a couple days after his wedding, clearly stendel is trying to make a power move. Berra is a popular lad in the dressing room though so it won't be good for morale.

Hopefully it ends up being straight from the Terry Butcher playbook.

superfurryhibby
07-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Sorry to be a bore about nothing to do with Berra.It was readily accepted by Hibs fans at the time that Hibs did not give Smith a free as a goodwill gesture but because they did not want to pay him when he was going to need an operation to continue his career.He was renowned for having a high level of general fitness so there was little doubt that when his ankle was repaired he would continue to play.

Re Willie Bauld .Clearly He was the only person to fall out with the club over costs as he wanted to raise as much money from the gate as possible.There was no other money raised.

Re: Gordon Smith. It’s well documented that Hibs declined to fund the surgery he needed to carry on playing. A poor end to the legends time at Hibs, and poor judgement as he went on to win 2 Leagues and a League Cup winners medal.

I heard Berra on the radio. I felt a bit sorry for him. He showed a bit of dignity, but it’s clear that he’s hurting. Hopefully he finds a club, plays well and gives them a big GIRFUY as the Hearts get relegated. Win-win situation.

BILLYHIBS
07-01-2020, 05:52 PM
Felt sorry for Big Berra just got married tae

Hearts class!

Obviously freeing up wages to bring in Stendels boys

WoreTheGreen
07-01-2020, 06:02 PM
Rumour has it on Berra’s wedding cake it had a wee budge & Daniel

hibeelin
07-01-2020, 06:04 PM
HjuyI dud jd in Hong hmm

mjhibby
07-01-2020, 06:07 PM
I feel for the guy, looks like it could have been handled much better and more respect shown to the club captain. Piss poor from the manager.

Looks like stendel is binning all the players with a big influence and showing whose boss. Not great for team spirit at all. Naismith may be next but he has shown he can dig his heels in before. He better have a few decent signings lined up or the dressing room will be lost. Eerily similar to hecky. Same mentality and I suspect it will end the same way. Hertz fans have no option but to back stendel. Results, as with any manager,will decide his fate. He could be further behind the two above with the next four or five fixtures meaning hauling back an 8 or 9 point gap with only13 games to go. Squeaky bum time me thinks. Marvelous.

Iggy Pope
07-01-2020, 06:08 PM

It’s not documented that way anywhere I’ve read it, but I wasn’t part of it all at the time if I’m honest so I’ll take your word over the written one.

xyz23jc
07-01-2020, 06:10 PM
HjuyI dud jd in Hong hmm

qaStaH nuq jay' :greengrin

The Captain....
07-01-2020, 06:13 PM
Up until a season and a half ago he was as good as there is in the scottish leagues at defending his own penalty area. He was however always shocking with the ball at his feet and could be isolated one on one outside the box. The injuries, age, lack of confidence and a defensive system that totally exposed his frailties did for him this season.

For what it's worth he has been treated appallingly by Hearts..club and supporters..in the last couple of weeks imo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
07-01-2020, 06:16 PM
HjuyI dud jd in Hong hmm
Is that our new Chinese striker?

brianmc
07-01-2020, 06:16 PM
No one (not even the WUM OP) will take Berra on the radge wages he's on. 18 months left on his contract as well 🤭
Naismith has 3½ years left on his I believe?

It's all very well deciding players are no longer required - to "free up the budget" - but it's not just as easy as that is it.

Surely even a business genius like Mr Mrs Doctor Professor Budge or whatever they call her can work that out?

Viva_Palmeiras
07-01-2020, 06:23 PM
Dr Doolittle?

Real Emerald
07-01-2020, 06:40 PM
No one (not even the WUM OP) will take Berra on the radge wages he's on. 18 months left on his contract as well 🤭
Naismith has 3½ years left on his I believe?

It's all very well deciding players are no longer required - to "free up the budget" - but it's not just as easy as that is it.

Surely even a business genius like Mr Mrs Doctor Professor Budge or whatever they call her can work that out?

I actually don’t think Budge will have had anything to do with this. I think Spendall will have said he needs new players and was told he had to move players on before he could bring any in. He’s probably said fine but we’re going to have to force the big earners out and this is the only way to do it. I think she will be cringing with the way they’ve treated him and fearful at the repercussions it could have on the dressing room. He could be a hero or massive short term disaster for them. I would be gutted if Hibs treated a current captain and great servant like that. It will be harder to get Naismith off their books but he must be next in the firing line.

macca70
07-01-2020, 07:03 PM
Disgusting how hearts have treated him, absolute no class whatsoever, could achieve the same outcome by conducting themselves a lot more professional.

What Jambos seem to be missing though, he still has 18 months on a fairly lucrative contract, he won’t just walk away from that so unless Hearts pay that off, he sits tight and collects his wages for the next 18 months.

He’s got a coaching school set up and been sensible with his cash over the years so probably doesn’t need the cash but no way he’s walking a away from the 18 Month contract he currently has.

squire
07-01-2020, 07:20 PM
You can see on the reply of Boyle's 2nd from behind the goals that Berra gives up after a couple of paces and resorts to screaming in an attempt to put Boyle off just as he pulls the trigger. I think the last time I saw that tactic was down the park in Sunday league. It's barely amateur level behaviour and I knew right then he was finished

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Disgusting how hearts have treated him, absolute no class whatsoever, could achieve the same outcome by conducting themselves a lot more professional.

What Jambos seem to be missing though, he still has 18 months on a fairly lucrative contract, he won’t just walk away from that so unless Hearts pay that off, he sits tight and collects his wages for the next 18 months.

He’s got a coaching school set up and been sensible with his cash over the years so probably doesn’t need the cash but no way he’s walking a away from the 18 Month contract he currently has.

He won’t sit it out, will be on the move one way or another very soon.
Maybe would have held his wedding at Tynie instead of the Balmoral if he had known this was coming 😉

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Whilst I won't lose any sleep over it, it seems quite a shan way to treat a good servant to their club.

GreenCastle
07-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Maybe would have held his wedding at Tynie instead of the Balmoral if he had known this was coming 😉

He may end up facing Hibs with Dundee Utd in January !!

He may sit tight on those 18 months as won’t sign for another Prem
Team who are in competition with Hearts to get relegated.

Dundee Utd or Inverness (Robbo) would be my guess. Inverness v Hearts in playoff semi he would probably score an OG for ICT.

His coaching school and future relations with Hearts is interesting - wouldn’t put it against him to be future manager of the club either. So don’t think it’s the last we will see of him.

brog
07-01-2020, 07:32 PM
Up until a season and a half ago he was as good as there is in the scottish leagues at defending his own penalty area. He was however always shocking with the ball at his feet and could be isolated one on one outside the box. The injuries, age, lack of confidence and a defensive system that totally exposed his frailties did for him this season.

For what it's worth he has been treated appallingly by Hearts..club and supporters..in the last couple of weeks imo.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

That's a really good summary. Of course, playing on Tiny Tynie also helped him be less exposed & he was always a danger in the oppo's box. I think Strudel has correctly identified him as a liability but the lack of class in dealing with this situation is very poor indeed.

green with envy
07-01-2020, 07:41 PM
I'd take him.

To the cleaners?

CMurdoch
07-01-2020, 07:42 PM
Was playing well until his bad injury sustained in a match against Celtic 18 months ago. Apparently very poor since returning, looks like injury combined with age have done him in.
He will be 35 before the end of the month but remarkably still has 18 months contract left at circa £6k a week. Given the extent of his demise there will be no takers. Best Hearts can hope for is someone picking up a quarter of his wage on loan.

Think they might have been lucky with Whelan (another 35 year old) because he wants to play at the Euro's if his team make it through the play off's and to do that he needs to be playing. So he may have walked with a small sweetener knowing he needs game time and can get a contract elsewhere.

Stendal obviously has no such spell over Berra as he tries desperately to get rid of the big ticket items to provide cash for new player expenses but Levein has painted them into a very painful and expensive corner.

The arsenic Levein Legacy in the form of the 4 year contracts of Damour & Naismith will be felt for a long time down at Gorgie.

jacomo
07-01-2020, 07:46 PM
I actually don’t think Budge will have had anything to do with this. I think Spendall will have said he needs new players and was told he had to move players on before he could bring any in. He’s probably said fine but we’re going to have to force the big earners out and this is the only way to do it. I think she will be cringing with the way they’ve treated him and fearful at the repercussions it could have on the dressing room. He could be a hero or massive short term disaster for them. I would be gutted if Hibs treated a current captain and great servant like that. It will be harder to get Naismith off their books but he must be next in the firing line.

Budge hired Stendal specifically for his style of football - a style likely to expose an ageing centre back whose legs have gone.

Joe6-2
07-01-2020, 07:47 PM

Were Budge and Stendal at the wedding?

NC1875
07-01-2020, 07:49 PM
They must be strapped for cash. Wouldn't surprise me if Naismith is next.

Jambo at work is saying McLean will be the next one away

Dashing Bob S
07-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Brutal way to treat someone who's done a lot for their club. He's struggled since injury but you'd think they could go about moving him on in a better way. Training with the kids and punted a couple days after his wedding, clearly stendel is trying to make a power move. Berra is a popular lad in the dressing room though so it won't be good for morale.

Hopefully it ends up being straight from the Terry Butcher playbook.

I agree to an extent but it's an even more brutal way the board are treating the Hearts fan donators by *****ing six grand of their money every week on this past-it player.

sauzee=legend
07-01-2020, 07:53 PM
HjuyI dud jd in Hong hmm

Can’t go saying stuff like that..... 😂

macca70
07-01-2020, 07:57 PM
Was playing well until his bad injury sustained in a match against Celtic 18 months ago. Apparently very poor since returning, looks like injury combined with age have done him in.
He will be 35 before the end of the month but remarkably still has 18 months contract left at circa £6k a week. Given the extent of his demise there will be no takers. Best Hearts can hope for is someone picking up a quarter of his wage on loan.

Think they might have been lucky with Whelan (another 35 year old) because he wants to play at the Euro's if his team make it through the play off's and to do that he needs to be playing. So he may have walked with a small sweetener knowing he needs game time and can get a contract elsewhere.

Stendal obviously has no such spell over Berra as he tries desperately to get rid of the big ticket items to provide cash for new player expenses but Levein has painted them into a very painful and expensive corner.

The arsenic Levein Legacy in the form of the 4 year contracts of Damour & Naismith will be felt for a long time still in Gorgie.

Apparently wHelan has had an agreement that he only trained twice a week. Stendal not happy at that arrangement so empties him

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 07:58 PM
The German bloke is going to do a Butcher with them. Unless they get players in during this window who want to give it all on loan to some mob fighting relegation they are goosed.

Even their new assistant manager/old Hannover goalie coach reminds me of that fat bloke we had coaching and scouting, living in his motor.

Real Emerald
07-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Budge hired Stendal specifically for his style of football - a style likely to expose an ageing centre back whose legs have gone.

Correct but I don’t think she will be comfortable with the way he’s handled it. Not that I care as I think it will implode, hopefully 👍

Eyrie
07-01-2020, 08:03 PM
Very poor way to treat someone who has been a good player for them over the years, even if he is now past his best.

Advising him that he doesn't suit how Stendal wants to play so is free to look for another club is one thing but banishing him from training with the first team is simply pathetic.

Prediction - Berra doesn't go anywhere this window and then in the summer moves to a team that won't be competing with Hearts next season like Hamilton, Livingston or Dundee United.

BILLYHIBS
07-01-2020, 08:09 PM

Hibs gave Gordon Smith a testimonial game in 1953 in the famous 7-3 victory over Matt Busbys Manchester United at Easter Road to mark his loyal service to the club

This led to bad feeling with the rest of the Famous Five as the club appeared to be reluctant to repeat the honour Lawrie Reilly eventually getting his well deserved testimonial several years later but being unable to take an active part in the game

hibbyfraelibby
07-01-2020, 08:17 PM
Felt sorry for Big Berra just got married tae

Hearts class!

Obviously freeing up wages to bring in Stendels boys

They haven't freed up a single penny yet...he's still getting paid a wage, just like Potter and Nanny. Even Whelan left by mutual consent i.e. paid off

Window dressing to hide fact they are a going into the Airdrie game in 10 days time with the same squad, just weaker.

truehibernian
07-01-2020, 08:19 PM
The German bloke is going to do a Butcher with them. Unless they get players in during this window who want to give it all on loan to some mob fighting relegation they are goosed.

Even their new assistant manager/old Hannover goalie coach reminds me of that fat bloke we had coaching and scouting, living in his motor.

I posted over Christmas about Berra and the senior players not liking Stendel and it appears that he (Stendel) is absolutely doing what Butcher did to us. I am stunned Stendel is getting such an easy ride amongst the Hearts fans as he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he has what it takes. He has never chosen a consistent 11, hasn't won a game (his successor at Barnsley immediately improved their form), from what I have heard from people close to Hearts he has already caused rifts and division in their squad...........there are a few players really close to Christophe and they are not happy (nor were they recently) and Stendel is playing a very dangerous game if he thinks he will get the most out of the squad they have - even with additions. Jeez they've even started rating Sean Clare because he is trying a leg (the same player who gets sent off which leads to an equalizer v the Dons). Hearts fans are a very weird bunch and have blindly bought into this German 'Pep' nonsense that the Scottish media lapped up and rolled out without much research into him.

Their Japanese lad is away to a tournament this month too and he is a decent player - if the lose to County away then the knives will be out. They've a really tough set of fixtures in January / February.

As for Berra, it's a terrible way to treat a player who brought in millions to their club in transfer fees and has never let them down on and off the pitch - and he's a really decent lad. It's akin to Jack coming in and telling SDG to train with the youngsters............shocking management and sure to backfire. Just hope we can relegate them at Easter Road :greengrin

I also think they'll try and cash in on Souttar (who is really close to Berra) and try and move Naismith on in summer. Naismith had a ding dong with Stendel at Christmas (I'm hearing). They're a shambles on and off the park which is - as they routinely say - pleasing :aok:

BILLYHIBS
07-01-2020, 08:29 PM
They haven't freed up a single penny yet...he's still getting paid a wage, just like Potter and Nanny. Even Whelan left by mutual consent i.e. paid off

Window dressing to hide fact they are a going into the Airdrie game in 10 days time with the same squad, just weaker.

Might be more to go ( Maclean ) before he can bring people in before the window slams shut

They also have their mysterious benefactor :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
07-01-2020, 08:31 PM
Still got £468,000 left on his contract and 34 years of age. He is not going anywhere.

ancient hibee
07-01-2020, 08:38 PM
It’s not documented that way anywhere I’ve read it, but I wasn’t part of it all at the time if I’m honest so I’ll take your word over the written one.

Thank you.You've made an old man very happy.:greengrin

Hibs gave Gordon Smith a testimonial game in 1953 in the famous 7-3 victory over Matt Busbys Manchester United at Easter Road to mark his loyal service to the club

This led to bad feeling with the rest of the Famous Five as the club appeared to be reluctant to repeat the honour Lawrie Reilly eventually getting his well deserved testimonial several years later but being unable to take an active part in the game

My mum wouldn't let me go because of the expected crowd.

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 08:48 PM
I posted over Christmas about Berra and the senior players not liking Stendel and it appears that he (Stendel) is absolutely doing what Butcher did to us. I am stunned Stendel is getting such an easy ride amongst the Hearts fans as he has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he has what it takes. He has never chosen a consistent 11, hasn't won a game (his successor at Barnsley immediately improved their form), from what I have heard from people close to Hearts he has already caused rifts and division in their squad...........there are a few players really close to Christophe and they are not happy (nor were they recently) and Stendel is playing a very dangerous game if he thinks he will get the most out of the squad they have - even with additions. Jeez they've even started rating Sean Clare because he is trying a leg (the same player who gets sent off which leads to an equalizer v the Dons). Hearts fans are a very weird bunch and have blindly bought into this German 'Pep' nonsense that the Scottish media lapped up and rolled out without much research into him.

Their Japanese lad is away to a tournament this month too and he is a decent player - if the lose to County away then the knives will be out. They've a really tough set of fixtures in January / February.

As for Berra, it's a terrible way to treat a player who brought in millions to their club in transfer fees and has never let them down on and off the pitch - and he's a really decent lad. It's akin to Jack coming in and telling SDG to train with the youngsters............shocking management and sure to backfire. Just hope we can relegate them at Easter Road :greengrin

I also think they'll try and cash in on Souttar (who is really close to Berra) and try and move Naismith on in summer. Naismith had a ding dong with Stendel at Christmas (I'm hearing). They're a shambles on and off the park which is - as they routinely say - pleasing :aok:

It all sounds great! The best part is it’s probably really near the truth too 👍

CMurdoch
07-01-2020, 08:52 PM
Apparently wHelan has had an agreement that he only trained twice a week. Stendal not happy at that arrangement so empties him

He also apparently had a clause excusing from media duties.
Think Stendal mostly wanted him out because he is old and slow and offered very little for his fat salary.
Ditto Berra.

He will stick with Naismith but will want shot in the summer if he can't stay fit.
Naismith will of course decide if he is going or seeing his contract out with Berra in the Oriam canteen.
Damour is the other big prob. Very average player on a lucrative contract that has another 42 months to run.
Natural order Craigy has well and truly maxed their budget oot on a combination of auld has beens and duffers.

Crab apple
07-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Maybe some truth in the rumour that Berra remained in close contact with Potter and that Stendall felt undermined by this.

truehibernian
07-01-2020, 09:22 PM
Maybe some truth in the rumour that Berra remained in close contact with Potter and that Stendall felt undermined by this.

Think it's more to do with the senior players thinking Stendel is lilian gish at coaching :agree:

The 90+2
07-01-2020, 09:30 PM
Think it's more to do with the senior players thinking Stendel is lilian gish at coaching :agree:

The way we came out the traps at the PBS clearly riled them, maybe Adam Jackson gave the heads up as to the easiest way to get into them.

Crab apple
07-01-2020, 09:41 PM

With Berra relaying this to Potter on a daily basis hence the desire to force him to train on his own.

Hibeesmad
07-01-2020, 10:16 PM
Charlie Adam said on twitter this evening that he expects Berra to sit tight and run down his contract at hearts and then said he doesn't think Stendell will last long. I assume Adam will be quite friendly with Berra.

Baader
07-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Berra is far from happy. He's finished but he does seem a decent guy. He's been a great servant to that club and is club captain, he deserves a bit more respect than being told to train outwith the first team squad.

Loyalty in football is certainly a two way street. Get the feeling that Stendel is playing quite a risky game here. Berra probably best out their side but making an example of him like that when he's a popular figure with the players could backfire.

TheGreenMan
07-01-2020, 10:46 PM
Who cares if he's just married? What's that got to do with a football clubs decision!?

Plus, he's still due near half a million quid if numbers flying around are near the mark. Not like he's just been made redundant and binned with minimal payoff. Probably a millionaire or very rich man anyway and spent 15 years playing football and people feel sorry for him? He was one of them that absolutely loved getting it up us when they beat us! Hard life. That's show business, that's football and he's horse **** these days anyway so unfortunately it'll probably improve their defence. Plus he signs off with the honour of being their top goalscorer this season (with 3 own goals 😂).

Spike Mandela
07-01-2020, 10:47 PM
Berra’s future up in the air.......like a brown trout.:greengrin

CyberSauzee
08-01-2020, 12:30 AM
I'd take him.

But, please remember, after 70 years as your very slow valet, pay him first before reneging on your poppy charity bills.

The 90+2
08-01-2020, 12:43 AM
Berra’s future up in the air.......like a brown trout.:greengrin

Good call, **** him. Cheating Pressley wannabe. Mixu had him sussed years ago.

givescotlandfreedom
08-01-2020, 01:38 AM
The merricks were saying he's loyal to levein and upsetting the apple cart with Stendel. Good work if so.

08-01-2020, 01:39 AM
If he was a truly great servant to the club then he wouldn't be airing their dirty linen in public the way he just has. Behaviour not befitting a club captain no matter how harshly he feels he's been treated. They must bin about 10 players still under contract every transfer window so it should hardly have come as a huge surprise.

Although he says he'll find another club, I can see the Charlie Adam prediction coming to fruition. He'd be as well sticking around because there's a good chance Stendel won't last until the end of the season.

Seems like there's a bit of unrest over there at the moment and it'll probably get worse before it gets better.

08-01-2020, 01:43 AM
The merricks were saying he's loyal to levein and upsetting the apple cart with Stendel. Good work if so.

There's trouble at t' mill.

FilipinoHibs
08-01-2020, 01:50 AM
There's trouble at t' mill.

As we say PLEASING 🤪

Scouse Hibee
08-01-2020, 06:26 AM
Who cares if he's just married? What's that got to do with a football clubs decision!?

Plus, he's still due near half a million quid if numbers flying around are near the mark. Not like he's just been made redundant and binned with minimal payoff. Probably a millionaire or very rich man anyway and spent 15 years playing football and people feel sorry for him? He was one of them that absolutely loved getting it up us when they beat us! Hard life. That's show business, that's football and he's horse **** these days anyway so unfortunately it'll probably improve their defence. Plus he signs off with the honour of being their top goalscorer this season (with 3 own goals 😂).

It’s been dealt with badly, that’s why.

green day
08-01-2020, 06:36 AM

Nothing, but he is being interviewed immediately after being told he can leave.

I had an ex boss paid off by a director the day after his 50th birthday.........which said director attended, drank, laughed along with family etc........my ex boss first reaction was "that total ****** was just at my house for my birthday party" which - again - has nothing to do with why he was paid off.

People say stuff when they are emotional, its normal.

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2020, 06:41 AM
Stendel targeting Liam Lindsay Stoke City to replace Berra

bigwheel
08-01-2020, 06:46 AM

Would be a quality addition ....

Stuart93
08-01-2020, 06:53 AM
Would be a quality addition ....

It would be but did he no just play and score in stoke’s last game? No chance they’ll be letting him go if he’s in their plans

Since452
08-01-2020, 07:06 AM
It would be but did he no just play and score in stoke’s last game? No chance they’ll be letting him go if he’s in their plans

I would say it was extremely unlikely. Started their last two games

CentreLine
08-01-2020, 07:35 AM
I would say it was extremely unlikely. Started their last two games

Probably smoke and mirrors trying to keep their huge massive support on-side with something to beLIEve in

lyonhibs
08-01-2020, 07:40 AM

Aye, and we're targeting Mbappe to replace Shaw while we're at it :faf:

BILLYHIBS
08-01-2020, 08:29 AM

More like Kevin Nisbet

We are all HIBS :greengrin

Hibby70
08-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Naismith had a ding dong with Stendel at Christmas (I'm hearing)

Was it merrily on high?

08-01-2020, 11:31 AM
Says he's not going to throw the toys out the pram whilst he's doing exactly that with the interview he's doing criticising the manager/club. :faf:

Smartie
08-01-2020, 12:36 PM
Having to fire people is amongst the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do (it gets easier with time, experience and a bit of your soul dying every time) and no matter how justified it might have been, the person in the other end of it never agrees with the decision.

Sudds_1
08-01-2020, 12:49 PM
I'd take him.

To the glue factory where all the old carthorses 😃go

Dolce7
08-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Rumours going about that he has spoken to Hibs about a move to us.

Cataplana
08-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Any sources?

bigwheel
08-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Hahahaha.

Not a chance. But I would take a day off to read this forum if it did happen. Would be incredible.

Betty Boop
08-01-2020, 01:25 PM

Hertz cast offs no thanks.

Hibeesmad
08-01-2020, 03:00 PM
Could potentially see him play against Hibs again. Dundee Utd.

Pretty Boy
08-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Whelan not holding back when talking about Stendel.

Ommited from the Hibs squad and informed by a WhatsApp message, turned up at training the next day and wasn't in either group so just went to the gym and the manager wouldn't speak to him because he was, 'too busy'.

I don't really care but it's proper amateur hour the way they are dealing with this. Fingers crossed it causes a bit of bad feeling and division in the dressing room.

1van Sprou7e
08-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Could potentially see him play against Hibs again. Dundee Utd.

Fingers crossed

PH91
08-01-2020, 04:23 PM
Says he's not going to throw the toys out the pram whilst he's doing exactly that with the interview he's doing criticising the manager/club. :faf:

I'm not convinced Berra knew that interview was going to broadcast immediately. More likely he has been doing them all season and thought it would be part of the documentary.

Hearts have treated him like a pr*ck. I can't believe the number of Hearts fans who are happy with it.

grunt
08-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Hearts have treated him like a pr*ck. I can't believe the number of Hearts fans who are happy with it.

This is what amazes me, the comments about him on kickback. How many times have I read, "so what if he's just got married?" Their contempt for their own players is incredible.

Since452
08-01-2020, 04:50 PM
To the glue factory where all the old carthorses 😃go

I think a lot of their fans have already been there going by some of their posts

Since452
08-01-2020, 04:51 PM
This is what amazes me, the comments about him on kickback. How many times have I read, "so what if he's just got married?" Their contempt for their own players is incredible.

The thought of us treating Gray like that gives me the boak

08-01-2020, 04:56 PM
The thought of us treating Gray like that gives me the boak

Hibs treat players like people. See Shiels/Zemmama/Allan. Hearts have treated their players like **** for decades. No humanity or humility. A cretinous organisation.

hibbyfraelibby
08-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Any sources?

Aye...Keekback

Itsnoteasy
08-01-2020, 06:28 PM

10/10

WoreTheGreen
08-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Biggest cheat in the league for years diving. Fouling and typically a hertz type player

HibbyAndy
08-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Biggest cheat in the league for years diving. Fouling and typically a hertz type player

:agree:

Him and Ikpeazu are complete diving barstewards that throw themselves to the ground EVERY god given opportunity !

WhileTheChief..
08-01-2020, 09:39 PM

It’s amazing the speed that they turn on their own over there.

Thye do with practically everyone that leaves them unless they get decent money. Arrogant pricks really.

I’m surprised players want to go there knowing how crap their fans are.

Deansy
09-01-2020, 01:42 PM
Maybe their 'Mystery benefactor' has told Spendall what amount he/she/it is prepared to 'donate' (launder) in their now 6-monthly direct-debit ?

JeMeSouviens
09-01-2020, 03:26 PM
Michael Stewart compares Berra's treatment to ours of SDG and Darren McGregor;

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/latest-hearts-news/hearts-did-opposite-hibs-how-they-dealt-christophe-berra-says-pundit-michael-stewart-he-claims-jake-mulraney-and-craig-wighton-train-reserves-1358197

PatHead
11-01-2020, 08:55 PM

Excuse me, it is a swap deal with us getting a £5m balance.

Hibs4185
11-01-2020, 08:58 PM
He could have a mid life revival and find 10 yards of pace but that gumshield is just a no.

Centre Hawf
11-01-2020, 11:33 PM
Hibs treat players like people. See Shiels/Zemmama/Allan. Hearts have treated their players like **** for decades. No humanity or humility. A cretinous organisation.

Something I took immense pride in about Hibs was when Martin Boyle got injured on loan with us in the final game of the 14/15 season and we kept him at us looking after him with our medical staff for the next few weeks/month until he signed with us permanently. We probably were going to sign him anyway but we had no obligation to do that and could have easily sent him back to Dundee to get treatment and looked elsewhere.