PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn value

BegbieHSC
07-01-2020, 06:58 AM
Was having a look on transfermarkt, and I noticed SJM,

Link here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-mcginn/marktwertverlauf/spieler/193116

When we sold him to villa, they rated him at £1.58m. They now rate him at £18m. An incredible rise in 18 months. They’re fairly bad for undervaluing players too.

Think we’re gonna make a pretty sell on fee.

HH81
07-01-2020, 07:56 AM
He is worth way more then 18 million.

BILLYHIBS
07-01-2020, 08:01 AM
He is worth way more then 18 million.
:agree:

50m

But worth diddly squat with a broken ankle

One for the back burner

jacomo
07-01-2020, 09:51 AM

50m

One for the back burner

Quite. All this chat is redundant until he is fully fit and playing again.

Then it is down to circumstance. I don’t believe McGinn will leave Villa if they stay up (that’s a big if, mind). If they go down, there may be a relegation clause in his fat new contract and he will be open to a move.

Then it is down to the market, and which clubs want to buy him.

If I was Ron Gordon, I certainly wouldn’t be counting any chickens yet.

Sammy7nil
07-01-2020, 11:57 AM

50m

One for the back burner

Best thing to happen would be Villa now go on a losing run JMc comes back with 6 games to go. Villa then win 3 and draw three with JMc playing a starring role but Villa get relegated. They would be forced to sell him and Hibs get a pay out simples :greengrin

WeeRussell
07-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Quite. All this chat is redundant until he is fully fit and playing again.

Then it is down to circumstance. I don’t believe McGinn will leave Villa if they stay up (that’s a big if, mind). If they go down, there may be a relegation clause in his fat new contract and he will be open to a move.

Then it is down to the market, and which clubs want to buy him.

If I was Ron Gordon, I certainly wouldn’t be counting any chickens yet.

I would agree far more likely to leave if they go down but I wouldn’t rule it out even if they stay up. Like at us, he’s a good lad and loyal to the club he plays for, however when a bigger move and deal is on the table, why won’t he turn it down?

Zazu62
07-01-2020, 01:35 PM
And Celtic got 25 million for Tierney. 25 million for an injury prone youngster

jacomo
07-01-2020, 04:02 PM
I would agree far more likely to leave if they go down but I wouldn’t rule it out even if they stay up. Like at us, he’s a good lad and loyal to the club he plays for, however when a bigger move and deal is on the table, why won’t he turn it down?

He signed a new contract with them at the beginning of this season. The Villans love him and he’s one of the first picks in the team.

If they stay up I think it’s unlikely he would push for a move. But we will see!

Gaffer1875
07-01-2020, 04:12 PM
£30m all day long in the English market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
07-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Villa fans loved him in the championship last year and he started well this year but more than a few were not his biggest fan for the last few months.

Yes he has exceeded expectations big time but I think he's got a bit more to go to force a move, particularly now he has a major injury.

Hibbyradge
07-01-2020, 04:41 PM
As always, he's worth exactly what another club is willing to pay for him.

danhibees1875
07-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Villa fans loved him in the championship last year and he started well this year but more than a few were not his biggest fan for the last few months.

Yes he has exceeded expectations big time but I think he's got a bit more to go to force a move, particularly now he has a major injury.

I think that's a fair summary. He started very brightly but was playing through an injury for a while (I think I read that) and wasn't as effective.

Hopefully he's back from injury sharp and can contribute to Villa staying up and in Scotland's qualifiers. I'm not convinced Villa will sell him this summer regardless of their final league position though - I'm also not sure if, as it stands, he's done enough to convince a big team to come in for him.

cocteautwin
07-01-2020, 10:06 PM
Remember that time Hearts thought Cardiff would sell CPaterson for £30m and they’d get £6m sell on fee?

Hibeesmad
07-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Remember that time Hearts thought Cardiff would sell CPaterson for £30m and they’d get £6m sell on fee?

Now they are dumping their captain into the reserves with no explanation as they sit bottom of the league.

ScottB
07-01-2020, 10:20 PM
If Villa do go down they’ll have to sell players to avoid being punished for breaking the Championship’s spending rules.

I would guess at least one of McGinn or Grealish will go off that happens.

Sir David Gray
07-01-2020, 10:30 PM
If McGinn gets sold, it will be for a lot more than £18 million. It would be more like £25-30 million.

Stuart93
07-01-2020, 10:33 PM
If McGinn gets sold, it will be for a lot more than £18 million. It would be more like £25-30 million.

If Aston Villa manage to stay up I think they could sell McGinn for double that

cameronw-hfc
08-01-2020, 12:38 AM

Villa and hibs fan here, think the general thought amongst villa fans on McGinn is that he could pretty much slot into any team and do well, besides the weird 433 formation that Smith is playing. He was in general still the best of a bad bunch along with Grealish. After his injury villa looked considerably worse in the few games after until the formation was switched. Will need to sell at least 6 of the starting 11 if we go down, and McGinn is one unfortunately.

Keith_M
08-01-2020, 09:05 AM
If Villa do go down they’ll have to sell players to avoid being punished for breaking the Championship’s spending rules.

I would guess at least one of McGinn or Grealish will go off that happens.

Grealish would bring in more

WeeRussell
08-01-2020, 12:09 PM
He signed a new contract with them at the beginning of this season. The Villans love him and he’s one of the first picks in the team.

If they stay up I think it’s unlikely he would push for a move. But we will see!

I fully agree that he wouldn't be banging on doors trying to get out or anything like that. I just wouldn't be surprised if a big offer came in that Villa and him both ended up having to take.

Granted his recent injury probably makes that less likely now.

Shrekko
08-01-2020, 09:23 PM

That’s not true. Villa fans believed he’d been playing injured for a few WEEKS prior to him doing his ankle- he was still seen as a key player.

He won’t force a move but plenty of teams will want him based on his form for the majority of the season. I have to say though that Jack Grealish will probably go first and it’ll be for an absolutely huge fee- he has been incredible for them after a slow start- pure class.

Hibee Mac
08-01-2020, 09:35 PM
That’s not true. Villa fans believed he’d been playing injured for a few WEEKS prior to him doing his ankle- he was still seen as a key player.

He won’t force a move but plenty of teams will want him based on his form for the majority of the season. I have to say though that Jack Grealish will probably go first and it’ll be for an absolutely huge fee- he has been incredible for them after a slow start- pure class.

It's not untrue, take a look at the Villa forum back from before he was injured and you'll see what I mean. Know a few Villa fans myself and they all think the same.

Don't disagree about Grealish mind you, cracking player and excited to see what he does next.

Centre Hawf
08-01-2020, 10:00 PM
I have a worry that McGinn's injury has come at the wrong time for him. Villa are under real threat of relegation and he'll be out until the final month or so of the season it looks like at best. I hope that someone's taken notice of him higher up the table but I don't think Villa will get any more than £20million for him if he does go and I doubt it'll be to a top 6 team sadly.

Doesn't help that all the attention will be on Jack Grealish now too.

Stanton Spence
08-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Yes and I'm sure villa fans would agree [emoji23]

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
08-01-2020, 10:19 PM
I have a worry that McGinn's injury has come at the wrong time for him. Villa are under real threat of relegation and he'll be out until the final month or so of the season it looks like at best. I hope that someone's taken notice of him higher up the table but I don't think Villa will get any more than £20million for him if he does go and I doubt it'll be to a top 6 team sadly.

Yes that's a good point RE Grealish, him and McGinn both clicked really well. Perhaps without Grealish there McGinn will not look as good and price could drop...

This injury is looking more and more like a massive kick in the stones for both clubs financially

Nicho87
08-01-2020, 11:06 PM
If he does get a move to a Man Utd or spurs, Villa won’t budge on anything less than £40 million. Realistically if they stay up they could be asking for bids considered only at £50 million plus.

HoboHarry
08-01-2020, 11:17 PM
Yes that's a good point RE Grealish, him and McGinn both clicked really well. Perhaps without Grealish there McGinn will not look as good and price could drop...

This injury is looking more and more like a massive kick in the stones for both clubs financially
Or he may look even better when he is playing in a midfield full of good players instead of just the one.......

Shrekko
08-01-2020, 11:45 PM

£20 million is nothing down there. He has a big reputation regardless of whether his form had tailed off a bit before his injury. Honestly don’t think it’ll be anything less than £35 million and probably a bit more if he comes back playing like he was the first 12-14 games of the season.

Guessing Grealish will be valued at around £75 million now and until
recently him and McGinn were held in fairly equal regard.

Centre Hawf
09-01-2020, 01:17 AM
£20 million is nothing down there. He has a big reputation regardless of whether his form had tailed off a bit before his injury. Honestly don’t think it’ll be anything less than £35 million and probably a bit more if he comes back playing like he was the first 12-14 games of the season.

Guessing Grealish will be valued at around £75 million now and until
recently him and McGinn were held in fairly equal regard.

Money is stupid at the top level but I don't really see those type of figures being thrown around for two players that could realistically be playing against Wycombe Wanderers in the Championship in 8 months for a club that will be in real trouble financially with possible fire sales if they go down again. It's probably more realistic that Grealish, despite having zero England caps, is probably valued nearer the £40m and John McGinn a little over half that tops.

We know John McGinn is a class act. But how many clubs have been promoted to the Premiership, had a fantastic player tipped to go for big money, only for them to really just be an average bottom half player?

Charlie Adam's season with Blackpool in the Premiership hits a lot of the same notes as this situation, in fact Adam had an even better season and didn't get an injury the made him miss nearly half the season. He was linked with all the same clubs that McGinn was before his injury and ended up moving to a mid table Liverpool side for a fraction of the price it was quoted to be in the press before being found out.

I do think McGinn is a better natural player and has a better attitude than Adam of course, should he ever get that type of move (say at an Arsenal or Man Utd compared to Adam's Liverpool) then he will do more than Adam ever did at Anfield imo but I just don't see where the dots line up for him being a £40/50 million player at this point.

I hope I'm wrong, I just think maybe if he didn't get that injury it would be more likely. The best thing he/we can probably hope for now is that Villa stay up this season, possibly through McGinn coming back as a breath of fresh air in the run-in before having an absolute blistering season as their main man next season.

Yorkshire HFC
09-01-2020, 05:55 AM

Who told you this?

Shrekko
09-01-2020, 10:36 AM
Money is stupid at the top level but I don't really see those type of figures being thrown around for two players that could realistically be playing against Wycombe Wanderers in the Championship in 8 months for a club that will be in real trouble financially with possible fire sales if they go down again. It's probably more realistic that Grealish, despite having zero England caps, is probably valued nearer the £40m and John McGinn a little over half that tops.

We know John McGinn is a class act. But how many clubs have been promoted to the Premiership, had a fantastic player tipped to go for big money, only for them to really just be an average bottom half player?

Charlie Adam's season with Blackpool in the Premiership hits a lot of the same notes as this situation, in fact Adam had an even better season and didn't get an injury the made him miss nearly half the season. He was linked with all the same clubs that McGinn was before his injury and ended up moving to a mid table Liverpool side for a fraction of the price it was quoted to be in the press before being found out.

I do think McGinn is a better natural player and has a better attitude than Adam of course, should he ever get that type of move (say at an Arsenal or Man Utd compared to Adam's Liverpool) then he will do more than Adam ever did at Anfield imo but I just don't see where the dots line up for him being a £40/50 million player at this point.

I hope I'm wrong, I just think maybe if he didn't get that injury it would be more likely. The best thing he/we can probably hope for now is that Villa stay up this season, possibly through McGinn coming back as a breath of fresh air in the run-in before having an absolute blistering season as their main man next season.

All hypothetical and a lot will depend on length of contract, what league Villa are in, how desperate the buyer is etc but I think you’re under estimating just how crazy prices are in England.

James Maddison is routinely valued at £70 million plus and Grealish in my opinion is as good and will go for at least that. If a club offered £35 million for McGinn today I’m almost certain it would be rejected.

Some great examples of transfer fees over £30 million that have been paid for players recently that I could quote. Newcastle paid around £70 million combined for their ‘hot shot’ strike force of Joelinton and Almiron. I see a Bournemouth centre half (!) Nathan Ake being rated at about £50 million at the moment. Some of the fees paid recently by Man Utd for some very average players - madness.

J-C
09-01-2020, 10:54 AM
McGinn is the type of player that most teams need in their midfield, his workrate, enthusiasm and professionalism is very hard to find, add in talent and he's worth plenty.

JeMeSouviens
09-01-2020, 11:00 AM
All hypothetical and a lot will depend on length of contract, what league Villa are in, how desperate the buyer is etc but I think you’re under estimating just how crazy prices are in England.

James Maddison is routinely valued at £70 million plus and Grealish in my opinion is as good and will go for at least that. If a club offered £35 million for McGinn today I’m almost certain it would be rejected.

Some great examples of transfer fees over £30 million that have been paid for players recently that I could quote. Newcastle paid around £70 million combined for their ‘hot shot’ strike force of Joelinton and Almiron. I see a Bournemouth centre half (!) Nathan Ake being rated at about £50 million at the moment. Some of the fees paid recently by Man Utd for some very average players - madness.

Oli McBurnie at £20M surely takes the biscuit. :confused:

HoboHarry
10-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Genuinely laughed out loud when that piece of business was announced. Mind boggling that the management at Sheffield United thought that was money well spent.....

theonlywayisup
10-01-2020, 09:48 PM

Scored tonight.

MagicSwirlingShip
13-04-2020, 06:00 AM
John McGinn transfer chase on as Newcastle eye £30m swoop for Scotland star

Newcastle are lining up a sensational £30m swoop for John McGinn.

Former Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce wants to take McGinn to England's north east having previously signed him for Villa.

McGinn made the £2.5m to England from Hibs in 2018 and was a star in the Championship as they got promoted to the top flight.

With the Scotland international in the engine room, Villa strung together 10 back-to-back wins to emerge from the chasing pack and clinch promotion through the play-offs.

McGinn’s value skyrocketed on the back of that plus a seamless transition to the Premier League this season.

The 25-year-old has been out since December after breaking his ankle but is now close to being ready for Villa’s desperate scramble to get out of the bottom three, if and when the season resumes, report the Daily Star.

If Dean Smith’s men confirm their Premier League status then they shouldn’t have too much trouble fending off enquiries for McGinn.

But if they don’t they face the very real prospect of losing him, along with prize asset Jack Grealish who has a host of top clubs waiting.

Grealish will be one of the hottest properties around once transfer activity resumes with Manchester United, Tottenham and Everton all ready to fork out £50m-plus to land him.

The consequences of relegation would be bleak for Villa who have sailed close to the wind in terms of Financial Fair Play regulations.

They spent £120m on players after winning promotion last summer and in February announced a £68.9m loss for the previous financial year.

They have wealthy backers in Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens but relegation would invariably see star names such as Grealish, McGinn and defender Tyrone Mings heading for the exit door.

Record signing Wesley is making great progress after his horror knee injury which required surgery.

The £22m striker’s camapaign came crashing to a halt when was carried off on a stretcher just over three months ago against Burnley.

The big striker snapped his anterior cruciate ligament but is jogging again and is doing rehab in the pool and on his bike back at home in Brazil.

Slow news day? Probably. Still nice to imagine a sizeable cheque coming Easter Road way...

SouthMoroccoStu
13-04-2020, 07:38 AM
Villa will want more than £30m for him
And can you imagine the payment terms Ashley would come up with

Brooster
13-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Let the bidding begin at £30m please. I wonder what the sell on clause is, even 10% is a good chunk.

ScottB
13-04-2020, 08:10 AM
I think the more crazy valuations and bids of recent times aren’t likely to return very quickly. Apart from anything else, clubs that have been using taxpayer money to pay staff throwing around tens of millions on transfer fees won’t go well.

I could see him moving, sure, but I think the amount we’re likely to get will be a lot smaller than we may have considered to be likely a few months ago.

Eyrie
13-04-2020, 10:03 AM
We may not get as much for McGinn's sell on as we'd hoped before this started, but it will still be a massive boost to our finances at a time when our competitors will still be struggling.

Scouse Hibee
13-04-2020, 10:12 AM
Would have hoped he would go to a team likely to be in the top half of the league on a regular basis rather than a struggling Newcastle.

SMAXXA
13-04-2020, 10:13 AM
Let the bidding begin at £30m please. I wonder what the sell on clause is, even 10% is a good chunk.

15% I believe

MagicSwirlingShip
13-04-2020, 10:16 AM
15% I believe

Will be of any future profit and not the transfer value

SideBurns
13-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Would have hoped he would go to a team likely to be in the top half of the league on a regular basis rather than a struggling Newcastle.

If Villa stay up, I don't see him going to Newcastle. There is always the potential for Newcastle to become a top half of the table side if they can get their act together.

supermcginn
13-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Villa will want more than £30m for him
And can you imagine the payment terms Ashley would come up with

Newcastle pay for transfers up front in full and have done for years. It would be a great move for mcginn.

hibby rae
13-04-2020, 10:52 AM
If Villa stay up, I don't see him going to Newcastle. There is always the potential for Newcastle to become a top half of the table side if they can get their act together.

That's probably been their motto for most their existence. Imo McGinn would be better off going elsewhere

hibbysam
13-04-2020, 11:04 AM

Even if that’s the case, it’s only £375k less than we would get if it was the full fee.

where'stheslope
13-04-2020, 11:07 AM
I think the more crazy valuations and bids of recent times aren’t likely to return very quickly. Apart from anything else, clubs that have been using taxpayer money to pay staff throwing around tens of millions on transfer fees won’t go well.

I could see him moving, sure, but I think the amount we’re likely to get will be a lot smaller than we may have considered to be likely a few months ago.
100% right! Most of the end of season money £100 million, will already be vastly reduced to pay deferred wages to over paid stars!
Most likely to be the lowest pre-season transfer market since SKY bulked up the money.
Normal service will resume, by maybe the season after, but I think salaries and transfer fees will drastically be reduced.

SideBurns
13-04-2020, 11:22 AM
That's probably been their motto for most their existence. Imo McGinn would be better off going elsewhere

They're certainly the perennial underachievers. I think he'll have at least one more season at Villa if they stay up; a move to Newcastle would be a sideways move in those circumstances. If they go down, there might be a pressure to sell and if Newcastle was the only (or best) club to make an offer he could end up going there.

Yorkshire HFC
13-04-2020, 11:33 AM
100% right! Most of the end of season money £100 million, will already be vastly reduced to pay deferred wages to over paid stars!
Most likely to be the lowest pre-season transfer market since SKY bulked up the money.
Normal service will resume, by maybe the season after, but I think salaries and transfer fees will drastically be reduced.

That's my thinking as well - surely the current situation will knock some sense into football clubs and they will totally re-think their business strategies?

The big clubs will always prosper, but clubs like Aston Villa, West Ham, Bournemouth, Burnley etc. need to get real - they are not big clubs - they may get lucky and get a few seasons in the PL - but that doesn't mean they should start buying players for £30m, be paying half their squad £50k / week. Anyone can get lucky, but sooner or later that luck will run out and they will get relegated - that is the budget they should be working to - they shouldn't be trying to compete with Liverpool in the transfer market.

A year ago, I remember reading that Huddersfield Town had something like the 20th biggest budget in European football - I bet they don't now, but are probably still paying PL wages to half their squad.

As such, I hope that transfer values and wages for all players drop like a stone - McGinn might still be playing for Hibs if that had been the case a year ago.

Tyler Durden
13-04-2020, 12:04 PM
That's my thinking as well - surely the current situation will knock some sense into football clubs and they will totally re-think their business strategies?

The big clubs will always prosper, but clubs like Aston Villa, West Ham, Bournemouth, Burnley etc. need to get real - they are not big clubs - they may get lucky and get a few seasons in the PL - but that doesn't mean they should start buying players for £30m, be paying half their squad £50k / week. Anyone can get lucky, but sooner or later that luck will run out and they will get relegated - that is the budget they should be working to - they shouldn't be trying to compete with Liverpool in the transfer market.

A year ago, I remember reading that Huddersfield Town had something like the 20th biggest budget in European football - I bet they don't now, but are probably still paying PL wages to half their squad.

As such, I hope that transfer values and wages for all players drop like a stone - McGinn might still be playing for Hibs if that had been the case a year ago.

Don’t really agree with much of this. Villa are a big club by most measures and clearly they’ve gambled this year in the hope of staying up. If they go down they’ve got a number of players that they can sell for good money. They’ll be fine.

The other clubs you list are all established EPL teams and none of them are trying to compete with Liverpool or other top clubs for fees/wages. These clubs are simply living within their means. Buying players for £30m is part of that.

The money in football is distasteful but the same could be said of Baseball or Golf or any other elite sport. A global pandemic is not a trigger to re-evaluate any of that. It’s just the world we live in

Yorkshire HFC
13-04-2020, 12:50 PM
Don’t really agree with much of this. Villa are a big club by most measures and clearly they’ve gambled this year in the hope of staying up. If they go down they’ve got a number of players that they can sell for good money. They’ll be fine.

The other clubs you list are all established EPL teams and none of them are trying to compete with Liverpool or other top clubs for fees/wages. These clubs are simply living within their means. Buying players for £30m is part of that.

The money in football is distasteful but the same could be said of Baseball or Golf or any other elite sport. A global pandemic is not a trigger to re-evaluate any of that. It’s just the world we live in

Aston Villa were days away from administration 6 months ago. I'd say, in addition to the above teams, Watford, Crystal Palace, Newcastle etc. are all yo-yo teams. The chances are they will soon become the next Sunderland / Bolton / Swansea / Leeds / Charlton / Hull. They all spend big, fail, spend years in lower leagues, go into administration and start again.

They all assume they will get into and remain in the PL, so they budget that the bumper Sky payments will keep rolling in - every season is a massive gamble and these teams all eventually lose.

It's great that there's a lot of money in football - but it needs to be managed properly. Some teams have earned it and are set up to deal with it - others have it suddenly thrown at them and aren't set up for it.

But I suppose that's the beauty of football / sport - it's why we love it - it lets us dream big. All these teams gave their fans a couple of great years - I'm sure most of them would say that it was worth it.

jacomo
13-04-2020, 12:53 PM

Bournemouth have got to where they are with oligarch money.

Take that backing away and they would tumble back down the leagues again soon enough.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2020, 01:26 PM

How do you know this?

MagicSwirlingShip
13-04-2020, 04:44 PM
Even if that’s the case, it’s only £375k less than we would get if it was the full fee.

Only? £375k is a good chunk of cash for a club our size.

How do you know this?

Overheard it in Greggs.

hibbysam
13-04-2020, 04:46 PM
Only? £375k is a good chunk of cash for a club our size.

Overheard it in Greggs.

Considering the figure (if £30m) would be £4.5m, it may well be a good chunk of cash, but if changing it to profit rather than overall transfer was the only way to get the deal done with Villa then it’s still a hugely successful bit of business, and still have the potential to grow even further down the line if he keeps progressing.

Billy Whizz
13-04-2020, 04:51 PM
Can’t see him wanting to go to Newcastle

Since452
13-04-2020, 04:54 PM
There will be more illustrious clubs in for him than Newcastle

MagicSwirlingShip
13-04-2020, 05:17 PM
Considering the figure (if £30m) would be £4.5m, it may well be a good chunk of cash, but if changing it to profit rather than overall transfer was the only way to get the deal done with Villa then it’s still a hugely successful bit of business, and still have the potential to grow even further down the line if he keeps progressing.

Ah, don't get me wrong, i'm not saying this was a bad bit of business at all. Will most likely be the best bit of business by Hibs ever.

It's just my understanding that it was a percentage of future profit:agree:

3pm
13-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Can’t see him wanting to go to Newcastle

Why not?

Billy Whizz
13-04-2020, 06:31 PM
Why not?

I would have thought he’d want to win things, get into Europe

danhibees1875
13-04-2020, 06:32 PM

He should come play for Hibs then. :greengrin

3pm
13-04-2020, 06:33 PM

I see. Be interesting to see what happens.

Brooster
13-04-2020, 06:33 PM

True but if Newcastle offer him £60k+ per week it would be a good move for him.

HoboHarry
13-04-2020, 06:40 PM
I'm far from sure that transfer fees and wages will be the same for the next couple of years. I'd be surprised if sponsorship monies don't take a dive next season and perhaps the transfer market might regain a bit of sanity........

Billy Whizz
13-04-2020, 06:41 PM

It’s a lot of money, wouldn’t be surprised if Villa went down, he stayed with them. He’s that sort of person

The 90+2
13-04-2020, 08:29 PM
He should come play for Hibs then. :greengrin

😁

Yorkshire HFC
14-04-2020, 06:58 AM

Have Newcastle not put all their employees on furlough? And I thought that the tv money was being withheld / withdrawn?

If that's true then I think that the English PL will become like Scotland, but instead of 2 big teams, there will be 4 or 5 - and the rest will all be a mile behind and won't be spending the big money.

Keyser Sauzee
14-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Leicester sniffing around for him.

MWHIBBIES
14-04-2020, 08:22 AM
Have Newcastle not put all their employees on furlough? And I thought that the tv money was being withheld / withdrawn?

If that's true then I think that the English PL will become like Scotland, but instead of 2 big teams, there will be 4 or 5 - and the rest will all be a mile behind and won't be spending the big money.

It's not true. The EPL would easily get another enormous TV deal if it was anyway. One of the biggest products in the world.

davhibby
14-04-2020, 03:17 PM
There’s no chance he’ll be signing for Newcastle. He’s a sensible guy and Villa will be spending the next transfer window fighting off bids of SJM and Grealish. They’d never let either go to a similar side in the league.

supermcginn
14-04-2020, 03:27 PM
There’s no chance he’ll be signing for Newcastle. He’s a sensible guy and Villa will be spending the next transfer window fighting off bids of SJM and Grealish. They’d never let either go to a similar side in the league.
Newcastle are on the verge of being taken over by the saudi royal family, and newcastle will never ever be a step down from villa.

MWHIBBIES
14-04-2020, 03:29 PM
Newcastle are on the verge of being taken over by the saudi royal family, and newcastle will never ever be a step down from villa.

Only thing Newcastle have is a bigger stadium. Villa beat them in every regard.

davhibby
14-04-2020, 03:43 PM

They’ve been saying that since last summer. I’ll believe it when it happens. Newcastle under Ashley are and have been a joke and will continue to be until he leaves. I never said it was a step down but it certainly wouldn’t be a step up, either way Mcginn will have much better options than Newcastle if he is wanting to leave

Tyler Durden
14-04-2020, 03:48 PM
They’ve been saying that since last summer. I’ll believe it when it happens. Newcastle under Ashley are and have been a joke and will continue to be until he leaves. I never said it was a step down but it certainly wouldn’t be a step up, either way Mcginn will have much better options than Newcastle if he is wanting to leave

Exactly. He’ll probably have his pick of Everton, Leicester, maybe even Spurs.

jacomo
16-04-2020, 07:19 AM

Apart from being a one city team with a large fanbase, what have Newcastle achieved?

Michael
16-04-2020, 07:27 AM
Apart from being a one city team with a large fanbase, what have Newcastle achieved?

Neither have achieved anything this century to be fair.

Smartie
16-04-2020, 08:05 AM
Villa and Newcastle are both great clubs, they should be amongst the biggest and best in the country.

It’s a shame English football has gone the way it has in that these clubs have fallen so far behind the rich Champions league clubs.

The same goes for most leagues in Europe tbf.

hibbyfraelibby
16-04-2020, 08:40 AM
I think we should all start rolling back our expectations re Meatball's sell on value. English football is more financially fragile than you think. We are heading into a global depression, not a recession, with a 34%+ hit to the economy predicted this year alone. A rebalancing and a reprioritising of financial expenditure is coming.

Do you spend £100pm on TV sports subscriptions or do you feed the family, pay the leccy and mortgage and settle for cooncil telly.

ScottB
16-04-2020, 09:39 AM
I think we should all start rolling back our expectations re Meatball's sell on value. English football is more financially fragile than you think. We are heading into a global depression, not a recession, with a 34%+ hit to the economy predicted this year alone. A rebalancing and a reprioritising of financial expenditure is coming.

Do you spend £100pm on TV sports subscriptions or do you feed the family, pay the leccy and mortgage and settle for cooncil telly.

The 34% contraction is in this quarter alone!

It should rebound once quarantine lifts, whenever that will be... but aye, English football is going to have a painful time adapting to the new normal.

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2020, 09:56 AM

English football will do much better than other leagues.

where'stheslope
16-04-2020, 09:57 AM
I will watch with interest as the EPL try and justify their spending on overrated and overpaid stars, when the rest of us and the 2 million unemployed because of businesses going to the wall!
The EPL will get the biggest fright when the derision from people who are struggling because of this virus, yet their overpaid stars are collecting all monies owed to them through deferral!!!
Some players are being paid £1 million pounds a month, yet most of us won't earn that in our lifetime?????
Reality check will be on the horizon, sooner rather than later!!!!

Yorkshire HFC
16-04-2020, 10:02 AM
The 34% contraction is in this quarter alone!

It should rebound once quarantine lifts, whenever that will be... but aye, English football is going to have a painful time adapting to the new normal.

In time, the economy will recover, but perhaps this period will see a re-setting of standards - which hopefully will see an end to the football bubble.

And if Saudi Arabia buy Newcastle, then hopefully no-one will ever sign for them - surely most peoples moral compass wouldn't allow it.

Hibeesmad
16-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Newcastle will probably be playing in a higher division than Villa next season. McGinn will go onto a more competitive team than them though.

PatHead
16-04-2020, 10:33 AM
I will watch with interest as the EPL try and justify their spending on overrated and overpaid stars, when the rest of us and the 2 million unemployed because of businesses going to the wall!
The EPL will get the biggest fright when the derision from people who are struggling because of this virus, yet their overpaid stars are collecting all monies owed to them through deferral!!!
Some players are being paid £1 million pounds a month, yet most of us won't earn that in our lifetime?????

Not to mention the lack of corporate money available to spend on hospitality etc.

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2020, 12:40 PM

The premier leagues wages have nothing to do with unemployment figures. They are businessness, earning a lot of money and paying it back to the big stars who earn them that money. They aren't overpaid, they are paid what they are worth to those clubs. Been reading about this premier league reality check on here for years, always makes me laugh.

weecounty hibby
16-04-2020, 12:58 PM
The premier leagues wages have nothing to do with unemployment figures. They are businessness, earning a lot of money and paying it back to the big stars who earn them that money. They aren't overpaid, they are paid what they are worth to those clubs. Been reading about this premier league reality check on here for years, always makes me laugh.
I get what you are saying but, and it's a big but, they're not really paying players what they are worth. Every single one of those clubs is hundreds of millions of pounds in debt. That to me looks like they are paying them more than they are worth.

Diclonius
16-04-2020, 01:04 PM
I have a feeling if Newcastle's takeover go ahead they'll be aiming for the CL next season. It could be a great move.

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2020, 01:23 PM
I get what you are saying but, and it's a big but, they're not really paying players what they are worth. Every single one of those clubs is hundreds of millions of pounds in debt. That to me looks like they are paying them more than they are worth.

That isn't true at all.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2020, 01:34 PM

Still don’t get why footballers are getting such a hard time throughout this.

None of us would turn down the wages they get offered. It’s not their fault. And they account for a really small percentage of people in the country earning that type of cash. Not sure why they have been getting so much stick and other sportsmen earning comparative amounts aren’t. Then you get on to all the non sport related folk earning millions a year who seem to escape criticism for simply being lucky enough to do so.

MWHIBBIES
16-04-2020, 01:41 PM

None of us would turn down the wages they get offered. It’s not their fault. And they account for a really small percentage of people in the country earning that type of cash. Not sure why they have been getting so much stick and other sportsmen earning comparative amounts aren’t. Then you get on to all the non sport related folk earning millions a year who seem to escape criticism for simply being lucky enough to do so.

Its actually hilarious. Especially when you look at the players together annoucement where they are donating millions to help. Premier league players have been brilliant throughout this and should be credited, not hit with the age old, da in the pub ''overpaid'' patter that is so wrong and even more tedious.

weecounty hibby
16-04-2020, 01:58 PM
That isn't true at all.

Perhaps not all hundreds of millions. But this doesn't make good reading, if the link works as on my phone. 2 clubs have over a billion pounds of debt in one form or another!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city&ved=2ahUKEwjRhL_Liu3oAhXpSRUIHcTJAqsQFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw06nwAlKHvGVDktAnDcKBCy&ampcf=1

where'stheslope
16-04-2020, 04:16 PM

From what I have seen throughout this, is players wanting all the monies owed to them while not playing or earning their clubs money?
In any other business the doors would shut and everyone loses their job!
I've been in a shutdown of a company, and its not a nice place to be!
I know that some players are trying to help outside football, using some of their money to help fund charities, but the majority are just taking the money and laughing at supporters who are trying to make ends meet while helping pay their inflated salaries!!!!

B.H.F.C
16-04-2020, 04:28 PM
From what I have seen throughout this, is players wanting all the monies owed to them while not playing or earning their clubs money?
In any other business the doors would shut and everyone loses their job!
I've been in a shutdown of a company, and its not a nice place to be!
I know that some players are trying to help outside football, using some of their money to help fund charities, but the majority are just taking the money and laughing at supporters who are trying to make ends meet while helping pay their inflated salaries!!!!

You’re choosing to see what you want to see. There are plenty of examples of players wanting to help - the fund the PL players have set up being one.

I also don’t think they’re laughing at anybody. Much as I’m not laughing at anybody that is less fortunate than me.

I just don’t get the school of thought that they should be giving all their own money up. If they want to, fine. If they don’t want to, fine. It’s their choice either way.

Was reading something earlier about Harry Kane paying £4m in tax last year. So maybe, in a round about way, they’re funding some of schemes being put in place to help people as it is?

Rumble de Thump
16-04-2020, 04:36 PM
You’re choosing to see what you want to see. There are plenty of examples of players wanting to help - the fund the PL players have set up being one.

I also don’t think they’re laughing at anybody. Much as I’m not laughing at anybody that is less fortunate than me.

I just don’t get the school of thought that they should be giving all their own money up. If they want to, fine. If they don’t want to, fine. It’s their choice either way.

Was reading something earlier about Harry Kane paying £4m in tax last year. So maybe, in a round about way, they’re funding some of schemes being put in place to help people as it is?

We're all funding things by paying tax.

B.H.F.C
16-04-2020, 04:40 PM
We're all funding things by paying tax.

Well most of us are. Some folk manage not to.