PDA

View Full Version : Gunnarson

cameronw-hfc
06-01-2020, 04:37 AM
See it looks Niklas Gunnarson is a free agent. Somebody that could play across the back four comfortably and still only 28. Understand the gripe of not bringing players back all the time but for a guy that was only on loan here, we seen what he could do and I remember rating him pretty highly despite not being a stater. he'd be an option I'd consider worthy. Opinions?

Not sure if been mentioned before or this should be posted elsewhere so move if necessary.

MacGruber
06-01-2020, 05:26 AM
Don't know how realistic the prospects are of him coming back but if it was possible would be a yes from me, really rated the guy

Bronson
06-01-2020, 05:56 AM
No thanks. Mediocre squad player in the championship, we need better.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2020, 06:00 AM
No thanks. Mediocre squad player in the championship, we need better.

Who was he mediocre in the championship with?

Since90+2
06-01-2020, 06:04 AM
Who was he mediocre in the championship with?

I'm guessing he's meaning with Hibs.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2020, 06:07 AM
I'm guessing he's meaning with Hibs.

Na, I don't think so. That description doesn't fit him at all.

Since90+2
06-01-2020, 06:10 AM

Why not just say you don't agree with the statement then instead of the cryptic messages?

He was decent nothing more. The fact he's just been released from a team who finished 12th in the Norwegian league last year would suggest he's not improved much.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2020, 06:19 AM
Why not just say you don't agree with the statement then instead of the cryptic messages?

He was decent nothing more. The fact he's just been released from a team who finished 12th in the Norwegian league last year would suggest he's not improved much.

He was a really solid player. The fact he finished 7th in a good, 16 team league and won the Swedish cup shows he has improved a good amount.

Cant really base his quality on either of those things can you. Neither proves anything without context. A little digging shows he only signed a one year deal after his previous club, Palermo were kicked out of Serie B.

I liked him, good solid player who covered very well during injuries and was making that right sided spot his own.

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2020, 06:33 AM
Good player surprised we did not tie him up at the time

As the OP touched on as a club and as a fan base we need to stop longing for ex players to return they all left for a reason and are all realistically for one reason or another still outwith our reach

We need to look forward to the future build a new successful team and create new memories new legends

Looking forward to Wee Ron’s plans for our future

The futures bright the futures green and white

In Jack Ross we trust

Speedway
06-01-2020, 07:05 AM
Turned us down twice. No ta.

Since452
06-01-2020, 07:16 AM
Wouldn't blow me away. I thought he was alright. Coming on as a sub in the cup final probably makes me see him in slightly green tinted specs. If he hadn't featured that day I'd have probably forgotten about him

Bronson
06-01-2020, 07:37 AM

I trust you didn’t make many games that season then. Or you have selective memory and are blinded by the fact he was in that cup winning squad.

He’s no upgrade on naismith or james, and certainly no upgrade on a fully fit david gray. No thanks.

Pretty Boy
06-01-2020, 07:58 AM
I trust you didn’t make many games that season then. Or you have selective memory and are blinded by the fact he was in that cup winning squad.

He’s no upgrade on naismith or james, and certainly no upgrade on a fully fit david gray. No thanks.

Does a fully fit David Gray still exist?

A long term injury kept him out for much of the 17/18 season, played a decent number of games last season and then another injury has kept him out long term this season. Add to that the numerous niggling injuries and his advancing age and a long term replacement is probably required. Naismith is only on loan and I'm assuming you have seen James before he signed for Hibs if you have managed to make any judgement on him at all.

We saw a similar situation 2/3 years back when there was talk of Liam Henderson returning. 'Wouldn't get in our midfield now', 'squad player at best', 'McGinn and McGeouch haven't even gone yet'. Sometimes a bit forward planning goes a long way, just because we don't need a player today doesn't mean we won't need them tomorrow. I'm not saying Gunnarson is the answer but I'd be stunned if Hibs aren't looking at additions across the back line in January and again in the summer.

JDHibs
06-01-2020, 08:03 AM
With a tight budget as it is (going by Hecks comments), a 5th option at right back isnt where i would be spending money....

cam75
06-01-2020, 08:05 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18076162.amp/

Read this a few weeks ago never knew they were in the same team

Joe6-2
06-01-2020, 08:47 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18076162.amp/

Read this a few weeks ago never knew they were in the same team

He’s ‘crazy and wonderful’ REALLY??!!

JDHibs
06-01-2020, 09:04 AM

A long term injury kept him out for much of the 17/18 season, played a decent number of games last season and then another injury has kept him out long term this season. Add to that the numerous niggling injuries and his advancing age and a long term replacement is probably required. Naismith is only on loan and I'm assuming you have seen James before he signed for Hibs if you have managed to make any judgement on him at all.

We saw a similar situation 2/3 years back when there was talk of Liam Henderson returning. 'Wouldn't get in our midfield now', 'squad player at best', 'McGinn and McGeouch haven't even gone yet'. Sometimes a bit forward planning goes a long way, just because we don't need a player today doesn't mean we won't need them tomorrow. I'm not saying Gunnarson is the answer but I'd be stunned if Hibs aren't looking at additions across the back line in January and again in the summer.

This is what baffles me. We have a recruitment team in place apparently hunting about trying to ensure we forward plan i.e Tommy Block. Yet we have allowed McGregor, Hanlon, Stevenson, Gray & Bartley all age & never brought in suitable replacements before the point where they're legs appear to be going, Stevenson, or injuries are getting the better of them, McGregor & Gray.

This is where the academy should come in but it would appear there is a fundamental flaw in the academy. Is anyone coming through good enough? Bar Porto, nobody stands out as a good prospect.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2020, 09:04 AM

Willing to bet I made more than you. Although that doesn't make my opinion anymore valid, bizarre dick measuring from you.

Good player I thought. Would be a good option at both right back and centre back. A fully fit David Gray is like a dragon or a unicorn. Doesn't exist.

Bronson
06-01-2020, 09:26 AM

I agree we need to be looking for long term replacements for not only gray but mcgregor, hanlon and stevenson as well.

The return of niklas gunnarsson, now 28 years old, doesn’t feel like a lomg term replacement and certainly doesn’t feel like any kind of immediate upgrade.

Northernhibee
06-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Gunnarsson is very talented both at CB and RB. He can also cover LB if required.

He made a couple of crucial interceptions and tackles in the last ten minutes of the cup final. He has excellent positional awareness and is good in the air.

Would be delighted if we got him to return.

Groathillgrump
06-01-2020, 11:28 AM
He scored this cracker against the huns at 1m 14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFjYwYM2YU

WeeRussell
06-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Willing to bet I made more than you. Although that doesn't make my opinion anymore valid, bizarre dick measuring from you.

Good player I thought. Would be a good option at both right back and centre back. A fully fit David Gray is like a dragon or a unicorn. Doesn't exist.

How is Bronson's wee comment anymore "bizarre" than your sarcastic opening response :confused:

For what its worth I thought he did okay at us, without getting all the fuss and desire to get him signed-up again. Not someone I'd be overly excited at getting back now. And I'm very confident I wasn't at as many games as either of you :greengrin

Unseen work
06-01-2020, 12:29 PM
Another player that seems to get better the longer he’s been away.

How many starts did he actually have for us? I remember him coming on from the bench a couple of times.

I always thought he looked pretty solid and potentially a starter if given a chance. Don’t remember him being as amazing as some seem to think

we are hibs
06-01-2020, 12:31 PM
Would be a good squad player. Similar in stature and style to Naismith. Better than james and whittaker. Versatile. I wouldnt be exactly pushing the boat out or forcing the issue but if the chance arose i wouldnt say no. I think people are harsh on Gray with his last injury. It wasnt a repeat of a previous one and rather scott allan accidentally slide tackling him and wiping him out. Just sheer bad luck in that one imo.

Northernhibee
06-01-2020, 12:55 PM
Another player that seems to get better the longer he’s been away.

How many starts did he actually have for us? I remember him coming on from the bench a couple of times.

I always thought he looked pretty solid and potentially a starter if given a chance. Don’t remember him being as amazing as some seem to think

He was also a massive part of why we came back to draw the 2-2 game at Tynecastle. Pushed very high up the pitch and got back for defensive duties well. The 3-2 game against Rangers at Easter Road (the final one before the more famous 3-2 game) he was excellent as well.

He'd be a great shout for the under-rated XI of the decade as our back four were at their absolute peak of their collective careers at that point.

Unseen work
06-01-2020, 12:58 PM
He was also a massive part of why we came back to draw the 2-2 game at Tynecastle. Pushed very high up the pitch and got back for defensive duties well. The 3-2 game against Rangers at Easter Road (the final one before the more famous 3-2 game) he was excellent as well.

He'd be a great shout for the under-rated XI of the decade as our back four were at their absolute peak of their collective careers at that point.

I don’t disagree that he was a good player, I remember thinking he was worth a shot of starting and was excited by him.

I don’t think he was underrated however though as a lot of fans seem to think very very highly of him imo

Chuck Rhoades
06-01-2020, 01:01 PM
Sorry, but if all we can do is look backwards and sign past players then lets bin our whole scouting network as it’s not worth a bolt.

McGeough
McNulty
Omeonga
Gunnarsson
Ambrose

And probably more mentioned.

Sparky is the only one I’d take back in a heartbeat - referring go the Griffiths variety, not McNulty!

Andy74
06-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Sorry, but if all we can do is look backwards and sign past players then lets bin our whole scouting network as it’s not worth a bolt.

McGeough
McNulty
Omeonga
Gunnarsson
Ambrose

Sparky is the only one I’d take back in a heartbeat - referring go the Griffiths variety, not McNulty!

I don’t think it’s all we do is it??

In any case, they’ve been identified previously as being a good fit for the club. If they are available and continue to be seen as good fits then I don’t see any issue with that. Would be a bit odd to dismiss players on the basis they are otherwise what we need but they’ve played for us before so forget it.

It’s not looking back. It’s looking at whether they could do a job now and in the future. There’s lots of players who have played for us and might be available I’m sure we’ve no interest in whatsoever.

Unseen work
06-01-2020, 01:53 PM

McGeough
McNulty
Omeonga
Gunnarsson
Ambrose

I get what you’re saying however, the players mentioned would all be in the squad if not the starting 11 imo and would strengthen us massively

Stanton Spence
06-01-2020, 02:14 PM
I was waiting for this thread to appear along with the effe mcgeouch and leigh back on loan thread
I liked gunnarson and thought at the time we should have tried to keep him but I'm hoping our scouting department are looking for better and casting the net wider and not just looking every player who has left us in the last three years who are out of contract or out of favour

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

The 90+2
06-01-2020, 02:15 PM
I don’t think he’s good enough. He was a very good prospect back in the day and a legend but no thanks.

Inconsequential
06-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Three and a half years on from when Gunnarson last played for Hibs. He may of been a good signing then but what's he like now? Has he ever played in the Scottish Premiership? Can't see him being a signing target in 2020. Just saying.

NikGunnarsson
06-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Well I for one, without any bias at all, can say this would be a tremendous singing. :wink:

bigwheel
06-01-2020, 04:10 PM
I don’t think he’s good enough. He was a very good prospect back in the day and a legend but no thanks.

seem him much in the last three years??

The 90+2
06-01-2020, 04:16 PM
seem him much in the last three years??

I see he’s been released recently from a side in Norway that fought relegation if that helps? How’s he been performing then? You tell me?

bigwheel
06-01-2020, 04:25 PM
I see he’s been released recently from a side in Norway that fought relegation if that helps? How’s he been performing then? You tell me?

I’ve no idea - not seen him for three years - so wouldn’t judge him. Three years is a significant time in a players dev..he’s played lots of football since we last had him .

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2020, 04:36 PM

His contact finished, quite different from being released.

Chuck Rhoades
06-01-2020, 04:55 PM
His contact finished, quite different from being released.

Still suggests he didn’t make the cut there.

Northernhibee
06-01-2020, 05:07 PM

Did Efe not make the cut with us?

Scouse Hibee
06-01-2020, 05:11 PM
He was okay when here last time, I have no idea whether he has developed into a better player since then or not. If he’s on the radar of the club for his ability and availability then so be it, time will tell.

Allant1981
06-01-2020, 05:11 PM

It doesnt suggest that at all, plenty of players leave clubs at the end of their contracts and for different reasons, if celtic hadnt have given us a paltry fee to get riordan early he would also have left at the end of his contract, did he not cut it here

Chuck Rhoades
06-01-2020, 05:19 PM
Did Efe not make the cut with us?

“Suggests” - read the sentence. Be very surprised if he turned down a contract from a second tier Norwegian side to be unemployed at the age of 28.

He was part of the cup winning side and like everyone part of the squad and backroom staff that day they will forever be legends IMO.

However, I’d question our ambition to go back in for a player who was also part of a squad that failed to get us promotion when the league should have been won at a canter. I don’t see this level of signing being part of a squad that allows us to cement our place as a team consistently gaining access and competing in the Europa League.

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2020, 06:07 PM

Same as Dylan McGeouch didn't make it here? Or Derek Riordan? Or Chris Killen? or Ian Murray?

No, their contracts expired as well.

flash
06-01-2020, 06:10 PM
Same as Dylan McGeouch didn't make it here? Or Derek Riordan? Or Chris Killen? or Ian Murray?

No, their contracts expired as well.

Hardly the same. They left to join other clubs.

SquashedFrogg
06-01-2020, 06:15 PM

Or perhaps he signed a deal until the end of their season with a view to him moving on in Jan?

Or maybe the club didn't cut it for him?

Who knows. His next club will certainly provide an indication of where he is in his career.

Smartie
06-01-2020, 06:47 PM
I didn’t think he was all that great. A very accomplished cameo when we needed him most and an outstanding performance at Tynecastle did stand out but he had some howlers as well (Raith away in the cup) and most of the time he was fairly average - a decent bit behind the CH’s, RB and LB who started the cup final.

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Scored the winner in the 3-2 dress rehearsal at Easter Road versus The Rangers and provided a brilliant decoy run for Sir David ( I’m getting this) Gray in the Final :greengrin

We move on!

:scarf:

:cup:

MWHIBBIES
07-01-2020, 05:07 AM
Hardly the same. They left to join other clubs.

Do you think Niklas is just retiring?

Since452
07-01-2020, 05:25 AM
Did he not almost score a spectacular OG in the 2-2 game?

Scouse Hibee
07-01-2020, 06:25 AM
Do you think Niklas is just retiring?

Ah so you’re on first name terms with him, that explains it!

theonlywayisup
07-01-2020, 06:27 AM
I didn’t think he was all that great. A very accomplished cameo when we needed him most and an outstanding performance at Tynecastle did stand out but he had some howlers as well (Raith away in the cup) and most of the time he was fairly average - a decent bit behind the CH’s, RB and LB who started the cup final.

Howler at Raith, in his debut first game for Hibs - rubbish.

He didn't have a great debut, as seemed a bit out of sync with the rest of his team, but howler!!!!

It appears that some Hibs fans seem to form an impression of a player in the first 30 minutes and then struggle to see past it.

Me, if he's good enough them I'll be happy to see him back. Thankfully,we've Jack Ross and his team to make that decision,not the 'experts' on Hibs.net.

flash
07-01-2020, 06:31 AM

He didn't have a great debut, as seemed a bit out of sync with the rest of his team, but howler!!!!

It appears that some Hibs fans seem to form an impression of a player in the first 30 minutes and then struggle to see past it.

Me, if he's good enough them I'll be happy to see him back. Thankfully,we've Jack Ross and his team to make that decision,not the 'experts' on Hibs.net.

That's those of us who don't particularly rate him patronised to within an inch of our lives.

Brooster
07-01-2020, 06:35 AM
At the moment our defence is packed with players who are not performing well enough. We defo need replacements but I'm not sure bringing back someone who couldn't get a game for us in the Championship is the answer.

Allant1981
07-01-2020, 07:12 AM

Does that also make you an expert then as you have also given your opinion on that game?

Brightside
07-01-2020, 07:15 AM
Gunnarson would be decent cover but as half the forum want Lewis and Paul replaces today he wouldn’t be the answer.

Since90+2
07-01-2020, 07:26 AM
Did he not almost score a spectacular OG in the 2-2 game?

Aye. I still get shivers watching that back and what might have happened if it was an inch lower.

Smartie
07-01-2020, 08:23 AM

Genuinely, I thought he was terrible at Raith. It may only have been his debut but looking lost and out your depth against Raith Rovers isn’t great at any time, and I did acknowledge his more positive contributions, which were significant.

I just thought he was a bit average, that’s all, and that was average in the Championship. I get the clamour for him to come back, I just think the significance of his last few minutes for Hibs are having the effect on most folk that you are suggesting his first few had on me.

When I say I think he was average, I’m suggesting he wasn’t nearly as good as a number of unsung heroes of the time - Liam Fontaine, Fraser Fyvie etc.

Chuck Rhoades
07-01-2020, 08:45 AM
That's those of us who don't particularly rate him patronised to within an inch of our lives.

And I thought a messageboard was open to differences of opinion and debate. Folk aggressively jumping down throats if someone dares to have a different opinion to them.

One worry I feel we do have defensively is the shelf live of Gray, McGregor and Hanlon. If they are in our plans then I feel we have enough cover when you add in Stevenson, Mackie, Porteous, Jackson and Naismith. If so, I’d rather our top priority was a CDM to replace the gap Milligan / Bartley left.

Hibiza
07-01-2020, 11:01 AM
Gunnarson: class act.

flash
07-01-2020, 11:06 AM
And I thought a messageboard was open to differences of opinion and debate. Folk aggressively jumping down throats if someone dares to have a different opinion to them.

One worry I feel we do have defensively is the shelf live of Gray, McGregor and Hanlon. If they are in our plans then I feel we have enough cover when you add in Stevenson, Mackie, Porteous, Jackson and Naismith. If so, I’d rather our top priority was a CDM to replace the gap Milligan / Bartley left.
And another striker for me.

WeeRussell
07-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Does that also make you an expert then as you have also given your opinion on that game?

You would have thought so :agree:

Presumably in the highly likely event that Jack Ross doesn't approach him, those of us who don't think he's quite good enough to go chasing will be closer to being "experts" and therefore know more about football than everyone else on here.

Or we could just carry on sharing our opinions as normal of course.

Bamba
07-01-2020, 04:45 PM
Some people are reading into him being "released". The reality in Scandinavian football is that most players are on short contracts (barring a small core) - especially a club like Sarpsborg which was in danger of relegation. He only signed for them in September - presumably to get at least some football before the Scandinavian seasons shut down over winter either with a view to getting a new club over the winter or to win a move back into central Europe.
The financial realities of playing in the top league in Norway and the second tier are stark so teams at the lower end of the league typically offer short contracts - especially during the season. There is little to nothing to be read into this in terms of his quality.

J-C
09-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Some people are reading into him being "released". The reality in Scandinavian football is that most players are on short contracts (barring a small core) - especially a club like Sarpsborg which was in danger of relegation. He only signed for them in September - presumably to get at least some football before the Scandinavian seasons shut down over winter either with a view to getting a new club over the winter or to win a move back into central Europe.
The financial realities of playing in the top league in Norway and the second tier are stark so teams at the lower end of the league typically offer short contracts - especially during the season. There is little to nothing to be read into this in terms of his quality.

Plus they play a summer season, most contract start and finish in December.

Man Down Under
09-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Aye. I still get shivers watching that back and what might have happened if it was an inch lower.I always remember it as him headering off the line to keep it 2-2 in the dying minutes. Maybe it was a different moment though.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Hibiza
09-01-2020, 11:15 AM
Thought he was superb ( again ) .

Broken Gnome
09-01-2020, 01:22 PM
Was Thomson that headed it off the line wasn't it? Also indebted to the unknown Jambo who blocked the follow up effort that may or not have been going in.

SideBurns
09-01-2020, 02:24 PM
Was Thomson that headed it off the line wasn't it? Also indebted to the unknown Jambo who blocked the follow up effort that may or not have been going in.

Aye, defo Thomson who headed it off the line. Over the course of that run, so many different players made significant contributions and that was one of them. Would've been devastating if that had gone in (and would probably now be 118 years since we had won it!).

Bronson
09-01-2020, 03:49 PM
I always remember it as him headering off the line to keep it 2-2 in the dying minutes. Maybe it was a different moment though.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

That was kev thomson, gunnarsson was the one who sliced a clearance off his own bar after we equalised.