PDA

View Full Version : Ron Gordon

Pages : [1] 2 3

bingo70
04-01-2020, 03:54 PM
I know he was back in Edinburgh for Christmas but anyone know if he’s still here?

I think I’m right in saying the unveiling of the big plan was to be in January, when I saw he was back at Christmas I assumed it would have been at the start of the year so hopefully get to hear soon?

I’m sure I’m probably expecting too much from whatever is announced but they did make it sound like some big news was coming when they spoke about it after Heckingbottom was sacked.

.Sean.
04-01-2020, 04:02 PM
Starting to forget he’s even here

stoneyburn hibs
04-01-2020, 04:08 PM
What do people think the news will be ?
Obviously like everyone else I'm keen to find out but haven't a clue as to what it could be, wouldn't even want to speculate.

bingo70
04-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Starting to forget he’s even here

Certainly not had the immediate impact on the transfer budget I’d hoped for. Obviously it’s early days In January but I’m taking JR at face value when he says we need to move players on before signing players.

Hopefully the longer term plans we’re due to hear about soon are a bit more exciting than what we’ve seen short term.

green day
04-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Obviously like everyone else I'm keen to find out but haven't a clue as to what it could be, wouldn't even want to speculate.

Rebrand as Red Bull Hibernians, new astrodome stadium with 5000 seater hotel below, Messi as marquee signing and Guardiola as manager (I assume we are waiting on him being fired before big Rons announcement).

bingo70
04-01-2020, 04:11 PM

Building an indoor pitch at East Mains, renovating their corner area between the FF and the East and/or a partnership with a foreign side, although I’m not sure what benefits that would bring.

The 90+2
04-01-2020, 04:13 PM
Still don’t understand why he’s bought us.

Weegreenman
04-01-2020, 04:14 PM

I think it’ll news about the structure of the club. I also think there will be something or other regards a new indoor facility down at EM.

I don’t think we’ll see huge investment on the playing side. Players wages etc. Folks going to be very disappointed considering the big build up. 😕

The 90+2
04-01-2020, 04:15 PM
Rebrand as Red Bull Hibernians, new astrodome stadium with 5000 seater hotel below, Messi as marquee signing and Guardiola as manager (I assume we are waiting on him being fired before big Rons announcement).

Craig Levein?

Weegreenman
04-01-2020, 04:22 PM
Could do worse than build a hotel in the corner between the FF & the East as someone mentioned.

Definitely a money spinner for the club. Might bring a few tourists through the turnstiles also.

jacomo
04-01-2020, 04:24 PM
Big signing as statement of intent.

Standing section and big screens at ER.

Sly dig at Hearts.

That’ll do me.

Sas_The_Hibby
04-01-2020, 04:28 PM
Big signing as statement of intent.

Standing section and big screens at ER.

Sly dig at Hearts.

That’ll do me.

just the sly dig at Hearts would be enough really. :greengrin

hibsbollah
04-01-2020, 04:29 PM
Fill in the corners
Crack Russian sniper unit to take out the gulls.
Monorail up St Clair St.
Chips.

Doh Rae Me
04-01-2020, 04:29 PM

We dont have the chip on shoulder/inferiority complex they have so no need really.

MacGruber
04-01-2020, 04:30 PM
I'm just expecting a vague outline of a 5 year business plan. What we've heard before but from the new guy. That we are going to maximise commercial revenue, invest in youth, play a role in the community, want to be challenging or cups and qualifying for Europe. I can't see there being anything exciting, specific, new or any real investment - will just be sound bites. I'm getting old and cynical I know

Weegreenman
04-01-2020, 04:33 PM
I'm just expecting a vague outline of a 5 year business plan. What we've heard before but from the new guy. That we are going to maximise commercial revenue, invest in youth, play a role in the community, want to be challenging or cups and qualifying for Europe. I can't see there being anything exciting, specific, new or any real investment - will just be sound bites. I'm getting old and cynical I know

I think your cynicism could well be spit on. Folks will definitely be disappointed but I suppose he could surprise us all. 🙃

bingo70
04-01-2020, 04:35 PM
Could do worse than build a hotel in the corner between the FF & the East as someone mentioned.

Definitely a money spinner for the club. Might bring a few tourists through the turnstiles also.

That’s what I think we’ll do.

When I said develop between the east and FF, I don’t think there’s a need or a demand for putting seats in but there’s certainly a demand for space to build in the area. Student accommodation would be my bet though.

As boring as it is, I can see why there’s not been much investment in the playing side, the value for your pound in the transfer market is so bad it really makes sense to invest in the infrastructure more if you can.

superfurryhibby
04-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Big plan aside, I hope for some kind of obvious difference in terms of quality of players coming in.

Hibs are run as a pretty lean club, in terms of wastage on wages etc... There are probably half a dozen players who collect first team wages that most of us would like to see moving on, always with the hope that we can sign better. Three or four players away from being a pretty decent outfit, etc, sigh...

A few have asked the basic question as to why wee big Ron has bought Hibs at all. Not that great six months into his ownership.

Have to say announcements about East Mains won’t do it for me. We shouldn’t be writing off another season and Wee/big Ron needs to realise that another middling-underwhelming season will see fans stop buying season tickets.

The past five years have been good ones in the history of the club. We played some really entertaining football, won the cup, lost a final and reached a fair few semis. I want to see this as the start of a new era, one in which Hibs thrive, play in Europe, win more cups....is it so unrealistic to hope for this? Otherwise, what is the point.

Cataplana
04-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Edinburgh has too many hotels as it is. So, one with its bedrooms facing a graveyard, and next to a war zone (Lochend Butterfly) may struggle.

MWHIBBIES
04-01-2020, 04:46 PM
I really think folk will be very disappointed if they expect him to invest in players.

He'll run Hibs like Farmer and Petrie did. Make the club sustainable, bring it forward, probably get some good sponsors. Nothing flashy.

JXM73
04-01-2020, 04:46 PM

Expensive apartments

Iain G
04-01-2020, 04:48 PM
I know he was back in Edinburgh for Christmas but anyone know if he’s still here?

I think I’m right in saying the unveiling of the big plan was to be in January, when I saw he was back at Christmas I assumed it would have been at the start of the year so hopefully get to hear soon?

I’m sure I’m probably expecting too much from whatever is announced but they did make it sound like some big news was coming when they spoke about it after Heckingbottom was sacked.

January is certainly at the start of the year 😊

Hermit Crab
04-01-2020, 04:50 PM
Certainly not had the immediate impact on the transfer budget I’d hoped for. Obviously it’s early days In January but I’m taking JR at face value when he says we need to move players on before signing players.

Hopefully the longer term plans we’re due to hear about soon are a bit more exciting than what we’ve seen short term.

Did hecky not blow the 'significant' investment in the transfer budget on rubbish?

Kojock
04-01-2020, 04:52 PM
Edinburgh has too many hotels as it is. So, one with its bedrooms facing a graveyard, and next to a war zone (Lochend Butterfly) may struggle.

Then how do you explain why hotels are being built all over Edinburgh.

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 04:52 PM
Fill in the corners
Monorail up St Clair St.
Chips.

I'll be a bit disappointed if he doesn't announce a plaza/piazza, but if we don't get an escalator, I swear I'll do time.

Hermit Crab
04-01-2020, 04:54 PM
Statement of intent to go after Celtic and Rangers with big signings. (although it would be better to do this in the summer)

Stadium renovation starting with FF stand including the the installation of a standing section in the lower tier, and eventually the South lower as well.

Better communication between the club and fans.

Restriction of OF allocations instead of restricting our own fans and blaming them for all the trouble at games.

bingo70
04-01-2020, 04:55 PM
Did hecky not blow the 'significant' investment in the transfer budget on rubbish?

No idea.

I think we shopped in a similar market than we did before and brought on similar numbers as before while losing out on players to rival clubs in the same league as us. I’m not a numbers man so I genuinely don’t know but I’d guess there wasn’t really any significant investment in the playing squad and we’re probably paying the same on the playing squad as we did last season.

If anything part of the significant investment would have been used to make up the difference from not having a sponsor this year.

Weegreenman
04-01-2020, 04:55 PM

I see hen & stag doo’s travel in from airport and other hotels on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I think a hotel at our stadium would be considered a hot spot location to stay for a few day’s.

Iain G
04-01-2020, 04:59 PM
I'll be a bit disappointed if he doesn't announce a plaza/piazza, but if we don't get an escalator, I swear I'll do time.

Would you settle for La Favorita selling some Pizza?

bingo70
04-01-2020, 05:00 PM
I see hen & stag doo’s travel in from airport and other hotels on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I think a hotel at our stadium would be considered a hot spot location to stay for a few day’s.

There plenty calls for hotels, air bnb’s and student accommodation in Edinburgh. Post you’re replying to is a lot of rubbish.

They also don’t care if it’s opposite a graveyard.

Bronson
04-01-2020, 05:00 PM
The impression I got from his and Dempster’s interviews is they were working on tweaks to the matchday experience. Afraid that those expecting a big announcement are likely to be disappointed. More chance it’s an introduction of vegan pies than a hotel or a marquee signing.

SMAXXA
04-01-2020, 05:01 PM
I don’t understand why people have unrealistic expectations

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 05:01 PM

I'd cope with that as long as it had beautiful, shiny, moving stairs.

Hermit Crab
04-01-2020, 05:02 PM

Lets be honest, the area around the stadium is not the best. Tenement flats with authentic inner city domestics and violence on occasions and an industrial estate. :greengrin

Sudds_1

Be better if he outlined plans to buy the budgie out....then liquidate them. Been tried before ? 😈😈

BroxburnHibee
This is gonna get thrown up just like Petries "5 year plan" did every time things ain't going well.

Sudds_1
04-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Lets be honest, the area around the stadium is not the best. Tenement flats with authentic inner city domestics and violence on occasions and an industrial estate. :greengrin

So......a theme hotel instead!

Sudds_1
04-01-2020, 05:04 PM
The impression I got from his and Dempster’s interviews is they were working on tweaks to the matchday experience. Afraid that those expecting a big announcement are likely to be disappointed. More chance it’s an introduction of vegan pies than a hotel or a marquee signing.

Whats a hotel signing? 😄

hibsbollah
04-01-2020, 05:04 PM
There plenty calls for hotels, air bnb’s and student accommodation in Edinburgh. Post you’re replying to is a lot of rubbish.

They also don’t care if it’s opposite a graveyard.

This debate is confused by the fact that, yeah, there is demand for hotels, but there are still 'too many' in terms of the city being overdeveloped to within an inch of its life, it's become global air b n b central and residents feel excluded from the city centre.

But I'd take a plaza. Or a piazza. In fact I think they're the same thing. And definitely pizza. Make it happen Ron.

stoneyburn hibs
04-01-2020, 05:05 PM
It would be excellent if it was something significant, more so for the seethe of the 5 points clear mob.

H18S NX
I don't think there will be any big announcements by wee Ron,much along the as you were line,imo only.

bingo70

Did the club not say there was big plans that would be announced in January and they wanted to say more before then but couldn’t?

I suspect I’m one of the people that’s getting a bit carried away but I think it’s the club that have built this up, not over eager fans like me.

Smartie
04-01-2020, 05:06 PM

Because we are football fans and it is what we do.

Waxy
04-01-2020, 05:08 PM
Safe standing section to upgrade the atmosphere.

stoneyburn hibs
04-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Did the club not say there was big plans that would be announced in January and they wanted to say more before then but couldn’t?

I suspect I’m one of the people that’s getting a bit carried away but I think it’s the club that have built this up, not over eager fans like me.

Fair comment, over to you Hibernian.

Iain G
04-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Whats a hotel signing? 😄

Andy Marriot or Kirk Hilton?

Keith_M
04-01-2020, 05:10 PM

Moving to a new, larger stadium just outside town.

Col2
04-01-2020, 05:10 PM
I am sure I heard that we would be installing two big (TV) screens in the corners of east stand in the summer. I think I heard it as part of Graeme Mathie interview on Hibs Talk podcast. GM was a also very complementary about Rom and talked about how passionate and energetic he is and how detailed he wants to get into.

stoneyburn hibs
04-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Moving to a new, larger stadium just outside town.

Reported

bingo70
04-01-2020, 05:12 PM
I am sure I heard that we would be installing two big (TV) screens in the corners of east stand in the summer. I think I heard it as part of Graeme Rennie interview on Hibs Talk podcast. GR was a also very complementary about Rom and talked about how passionate and energetic he is and how detailed he wants to get into.

Who is Graeme Rennie?

Col2
04-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Who is Graeme Rennie?

Meant Mathie. Not sure where that came from!

Smartie
04-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Reported

Merging with Edinburgh's other club to make a "super club" with the intention of making a stronger challenge to the Glasgow clubs.

Or maybe buying a few wine bars in the Bath area?

The Captain....
04-01-2020, 05:18 PM
Not expecting anything particularly exciting..the club and Ron himself were pretty clear when he came in that the club would continue to run much as it had before.

Not particularly sure why you buy a club and then do that but there you go. Mid table mediocrity it is until we unearth a crop of wonder kids.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
04-01-2020, 05:19 PM
Merging with Edinburgh's other club to make a "super club" with the intention of making a stronger challenge to the Glasgow clubs.

Or maybe buying a few wine bars in the Bath area?

Edingengeng Hibernators?

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 05:20 PM
An hotel is pie in the sky.

They costs £thousands per square metre to build so even if they want tiny rooms with no facilities like a bar, restaurant, pool or gym, they're looking at tens of millions.

This is for accommodation at least 2 miles away from the main tourist areas, with a poor outlook and not in an exactly salubrious area compared to what Edinburgh can offer.

It would probably fail, and even if it didn't, it would take decades to pay for itself which is no use to either Ron Gordon or Hibs.

Keith_M
04-01-2020, 05:20 PM
Reported

Where? The Evening News?

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 05:21 PM
So......a theme hotel instead!

;faf:

The Modfather
04-01-2020, 05:23 PM
This is gonna get thrown up just like Petries "5 year plan" did every time things ain't going well.

It will only get thrown up if it’s just an unquantifiable sound bite to buy time, as it was for Petrie. If it’s a genuine 5 year plan with detail that’s something else. Here’s hoping we don’t end up relegated at the end of this 5 years.

Keith_M
04-01-2020, 05:23 PM
Does anybody know what height "Big" Ron actually is?

Unseen work
04-01-2020, 05:26 PM
People need to calm down and get off his back a bit imo.

I get everyone is anxious and asks where is he, why did he buy the club etc etc. Personally I don’t want a owner who is in the press doing interviews every 2 minutes. He’s clearly passionate about football and saw us as an attractive team/location.

He has already contributed a lot by wiping out debt and investing a 7 figure sum.

Whether the club put his money and the money saved to good use is another question and not one to be aimed at him.

I can see potentially some of the following

Updated sound system and scoreboard/TV in corners
Standing section
Partnership with another team
Indoor pitch
Updated hospitality

I get people want massive signings but I don’t think our wage structure will be moved too much and rightly so. We have the 4/5th biggest budget in the league yet Motherwell and Livi are above us and many above hearts.

I think it’s more a case of improving the recruitment than chucking in millions - Look at the summer signings Vela, Doidge, Newell, Maxwell and James. They’ll be on or would have been on a healthy wage since they were playing in England, doesn’t mean they’re going to transform us.

Where as we could potentially have had Ambrose, Mulumbu, Shankland etc who know the league and I imagine would have came.

hibsbollah
04-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Does anybody know what height "Big" Ron actually is?

3 foot 6. He's keen on marmalade too.

Forza Fred
04-01-2020, 05:27 PM
He’s a business man who has stated the club need to seek additional ways to increase the revenue stream.

With that in mind I’m expecting him to announce the purchase of a string of pubs and wine bars in England which he hopes will provide revenue for the football side of things.

Avon Inns is the planned company name I think I heard mentioned in conversation........

bingo70
04-01-2020, 05:28 PM
An hotel is pie in the sky.

They costs £thousands per square metre to build so even if they want tiny rooms with no facilities like a bar, restaurant, pool or gym, they're looking at tens of millions.

This is for accommodation at least 2 miles away from the main tourist areas, with a poor outlook and not in an exactly salubrious area compared to what Edinburgh can offer.

It would probably fail, and even if it didn't, it would take decades to pay for itself which is no use to either Ron Gordon or Hibs.

I don’t think for a second Hibs will want to become hoteliers but selling the area to a company to build a hotel is feasible surely?

Anyway, I think hotels being built is yesterday’s news, short term let’s are where the money is now, especially in Edinburgh so I think that’s where the value would be on that site.

The save Leith walk campaign recently won I think, if the developers who were hoping to build down there are looking for an alternative site, that one could be ideal for them.

Smartie
04-01-2020, 05:31 PM

Not surprisingly, he tends to keep that under his hat as well.

bingo70
04-01-2020, 05:31 PM
People need to calm down and get off his back a bit imo.

I get everyone is anxious and asks where is he, why did he buy the club etc etc. Personally I don’t want a owner who is in the press doing interviews every 2 minutes. He’s clearly passionate about football and saw us as an attractive team/location.

He has already contributed a lot by wiping out debt and investing a 7 figure sum.

Whether the club put his money and the money saved to good use is another question and not one to be aimed at him.

I can see potentially some of the following

Updated sound system and scoreboard/TV in corners
Standing section
Partnership with another team
Indoor pitch
Updated hospitality

I get people want massive signings but I don’t think our wage structure will be moved too much and rightly so. We have the 4/5th biggest budget in the league yet Motherwell and Livi are above us and many above hearts.

I think it’s more a case of improving the recruitment than chucking in millions - Look at the summer signings Vela, Doidge, Newell, Maxwell and James. They’ll be on or would have been on a healthy wage since they were playing in England, doesn’t mean they’re going to transform us.

Where as we could potentially have had Ambrose, Mulumbu, Shankland etc who know the league and I imagine would have came.

Good post.

Totally agree.

Yorkshire HFC
04-01-2020, 05:33 PM

I hope Hibs have learned their lesson on this - the last investment in hospitality as good as bankrupt the club.

Left field suggestion - buy a midfielder?

SMAXXA
04-01-2020, 05:34 PM

Ffs man it’s the 4th of January calm down do you thing they were waiting till the fireworks to issue their statement.

bingo70
04-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Ffs man it’s the 4th of January calm down do you thing they were waiting till the fireworks to issue their statement.

Did you read my OP?

I said I wondered if there might be an announcement as he was in Edinburgh over Christmas? That’s the reason I’m mentioning it this early in the month.

I’m perfectly calm, well as calm as I can be during a transfer window which is an excitable time for me.

Hibs4185
04-01-2020, 05:47 PM
I mentioned a while back but I would love to see the hibs club move to the space between the east and FF. sell the hibs club to fund it.

New hibs club with facilities overlooking the pitch. Great place for birthdays, weddings, conferences etc and a good place for drinks before the game.

New development pays for itself. The members get the benefit of a brand new state of the art facility. Everyone wins.

DarlingtonHibee
04-01-2020, 05:48 PM
I hope Hibs have learned their lesson on this - the last investment in hospitality as good as bankrupt the club.

Left field suggestion - buy a midfielder?

Last investment nearly bankrupt the club?? 🤔

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Last investment nearly bankrupt the club?? 🤔

He means Rowland, Duff and Gray with the Avon Inns chain.

Peevemor
04-01-2020, 05:49 PM

I suspect I’m one of the people that’s getting a bit carried away but I think it’s the club that have built this up, not over eager fans like me.I don't think the club said anything of the sort.

Kieran the fans' rep mentioned that plans were being made and would be revealed in due course.

I'm pleased that Ron & the board appear to be taking their time to produce sensible, achievable proposals instead of simply pacifying the support with daft soundbites (à la Vlad, Budge, etc.).

DarlingtonHibee
04-01-2020, 05:51 PM
He means Rowland, Duff and Gray with the Avon Inns chain.

Can't see us being in that place again.

jacomo
04-01-2020, 05:54 PM
We dont have the chip on shoulder/inferiority complex they have so no need really.

Ach they started it.

Anyhow, Hibernian wit goes right over their heads so it’s just an in joke, not riling the maroon balloons.

Greencore
04-01-2020, 05:54 PM

Hope not, gone all hipster.

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 05:55 PM
I don't think the club said anything of the sort.

Kieran the fans' rep mentioned that plans were being made and would be revealed in due course.

I'm pleased that Ron & the board appear to be taking their time to produce sensible, achievable proposals instead of simply pacifying the support with daft soundbites (à la Vlad, Budge, etc.).

I agree. I think the words "big plans" were someone's, probably sarcastic remark, during our horrible run under PH, in response to something Leeann Dempster had said about future plans.

Keith_M
04-01-2020, 05:56 PM

:aok:

offshorehibby
04-01-2020, 05:56 PM
I mentioned a while back but I would love to see the hibs club move to the space between the east and FF. sell the hibs club to fund it.

New hibs club with facilities overlooking the pitch. Great place for birthdays, weddings, conferences etc and a good place for drinks before the game.

New development pays for itself. The members get the benefit of a brand new state of the art facility. Everyone wins.

I can't see that being a goer, the Hibs club have just spent a packet on renovating the club. Transport links to the back of the FF are nonresistant, at least you can get a bus to the top of the lane for the Hibs club

bingo70
04-01-2020, 06:02 PM

I think they did.

It was the series of interviews with Ron, Dempster and Mathie that were released the week of Heckingbottoms sacking.

The one where he laughed at himself as being referred to as the invisible man. It was a good interview.

Edit- I’ve looked on hibs tv on YouTube to try and find it but no joy.

SMAXXA
04-01-2020, 06:08 PM
I think they did.

It was the series of interviews with Ron, Dempster and Mathie that were released the week of Heckingbottoms sacking.

The one where he laughed at himself as being referred to as the invisible man. It was a good interview.

Made up 😂

GreenCastle
04-01-2020, 06:14 PM
It would be good to hear something concrete rather than just spin.

Indoor pitch - not sure latest with this but hopefully this can be sorted.

Hospitality needs improved / updated.

Stadium - likewise - new scoreboard at each end and finally sorting the PA system. Also improved TV studio / Male it permanent in FF lower box ?

Regarding the car park / gap - build a hotel and would mean corners not being filled.

A community centre - alongside supporters bar / cafe would be the way forward but not sure they will go this route.

Sorting the FF Lower empty seats and moving signing section to middle FF lower and installing safe standing would bring a new buzz to ER.

Would like to see all corners of the stadium enclosed in some manner to improve atmosphere.

Obviously a link with another team to get players loaned to us would also be useful.

Hopefully they announce the AGM soon and we hear plans before we resume 2nd half of season.

Power
04-01-2020, 06:16 PM
I think they did.

✅ http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10396

HFC 0-7
04-01-2020, 06:16 PM

They can take their time but an update of sorts shouldn’t be too hard to put out by him in between him coming in and finalising the plans. Hibs fans aren’t any different to other fans in that silence can cause fans to speculate and when it does get revealed, disappointment. I find it weird that he bought the club and and then went very quiet.

PaulC
04-01-2020, 06:21 PM

https://youtu.be/BiW8RrDFawU
This is the link to the invisible man interview and talk of revealing the plans

bingo70
04-01-2020, 06:26 PM
https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1192428410775228418?s=21

Mentions around the 3minute mark that they’d be I a position to reveal the strategic plans to the supporters after the board meeting in December.

https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1192428499950276610?s=21

Around the 7-8 minute mark Dempster speaks about changes coming soon after they’ve been presented To and approved by the board.

Ultimately you’re correct in that there wasn’t any mention of ‘big’ changes but that was certainly the impression I got during those interviews. Maybe that’s my fault for hearing what I wanted to hear though.

In terms of the ‘match day experience’ though, nothing could really interest me less, the match day experience to me revolves round getting a performance and a win on the park, if the strategic plan is going to be around selling hot dogs instead of pies or a new catering company then I’ll be pretty disappointed, again maybe my own fault for making incorrect assumptions.

bingo70
04-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Made up 😂

Nothings been made up.

I’ve maybe been guilty of remembering things incorrectly but when I listened to those interviews i got the impression we would finally get to hear Rons big plans after the strategic review. All we have heard to date is short 5-6 minute clips and sound bites.

That’s been fine with me as I appreciate he wanted to learn the business before talking about what else could be done, I did hope at some point we would get an idea of his longer term vision though and I had hoped it would be in January, as was alluded to in his interview.

If it’s just going to be the same but with a few admin changes it cost cutting excercises then that’s pretty disappointing tbh.

As I said before though, maybe that’s my fault for hearing something I wanted to, rather than what he actually said.

Sammy7nil
04-01-2020, 06:44 PM
Piazza or Plaza facing a new glass curtain with a safe standing area for solo clapping after cup final defeats.

I think it is the least we should expect.

SMAXXA
04-01-2020, 06:58 PM
Nothings been made up.

I’ve maybe been guilty of remembering things incorrectly but when I listened to those interviews i got the impression we would finally get to hear Rons big plans after the strategic review. All we have heard to date is short 5-6 minute clips and sound bites.

That’s been fine with me as I appreciate he wanted to learn the business before talking about what else could be done, I did hope at some point we would get an idea of his longer term vision though and I had hoped it would be in January, as was alluded to in his interview.

If it’s just going to be the same but with a few admin changes it cost cutting excercises then that’s pretty disappointing tbh.

As I said before though, maybe that’s my fault for hearing something I wanted to, rather than what he actually said.

I was just kidding on with the made up comment no offence intended 👍

I would reiterate though it’s only a few days into January I’m sure we will hear things shortly. I don’t have any expectations that it’s going to be a revolutionary plan that’s going to blow people’s socks off and with that will naturally be people disappointed, either way it’s going to be interesting what direction a new owner will want to take the club.

Since90+2
04-01-2020, 07:01 PM
As someone who has worked in the hotel industry for most of my career, in senior management roles up to and including General Manager level, they are very hard work to get a reasonable profit on each year. It can of course be done but it would be a major gamble and the amount of money it would take to built would likely mean you wouldn't see a return on your investment for the best part of a decade if you're doing well. The venture could of course be a failure , there are a couple of very well known and centrally located hotels that have had major financial issues in recent years and that's with a city centre location.

Ron Gordon is obviously a smart businessman and I would be amazed if he was looking to build a hotel at Easter Road.

hibsbollah
04-01-2020, 07:08 PM
As someone who has worked in the hotel industry for most of my career, in senior management roles up to and including General Manager level, they are very hard work to get a reasonable profit on each year. It can of course be done but it would be a major gamble and the amount of money it would take to built would likely mean you wouldn't see a return on your investment for the best part of a decade if you're doing well. The venture could of course be a failure , there are a couple of very well known and centrally located hotels that have had major financial issues in recent years and that's with a city centre location.

Ron Gordon is obviously a smart businessman and I would be amazed if he was looking to build a hotel at Easter Road.

A piazza/plaza though?

Since90+2
04-01-2020, 07:09 PM
A piazza/plaza though?

Would never be as good as the wonder they built in Gorgie so I'd steer clear of that too.

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2020, 07:10 PM
He’s a business man who has stated the club need to seek additional ways to increase the revenue stream.

With that in mind I’m expecting him to announce the purchase of a string of pubs and wine bars in England which he hopes will provide revenue for the football side of things.

Avon Inns is the planned company name I think I heard mentioned in conversation........

Avon Inns still annoys me....No way I think we would build a hotel, why would we?

bingo70
04-01-2020, 07:16 PM
Avon Inns still annoys me....No way I think we would build a hotel, why would we?

There’s no way we will build a hotel.

Selling the area of ground in the corner surely has to be a possibility though and whoever purchases that land may want to turn it into a hotel, I think that is what people are considering and discussing I think?

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2020, 07:19 PM
There’s no way we will build a hotel.

Selling the area of ground in the corner surely has to be a possibility though and whoever purchases that land may want to turn it into a hotel, I think that is what people are considering and discussing I think?

What corner bingo?

bingo70
04-01-2020, 07:28 PM
What corner bingo?

Between the famous five and the east stand.

I know it’s used for parking but to me that’s a huge bit of wasted ground. With land and property value as it is in Edinburgh I’m amazed we’ve not sold it off yet.

Ozyhibby
04-01-2020, 07:43 PM

Not for me. Hibs club is fine where it is. It’s separate from the club and should remain so.
Club can’t get the current hospitality in the Famous five to work, why build more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbyfraelibby
04-01-2020, 08:02 PM
A Curtain Glass wall in each corner...

madabouthibs
04-01-2020, 08:10 PM
I can't understand this fantasy Hotel in the FF/E corner thing that some people seem to be swooning about. Do you think building and maintaining a hotel there would bring significant revenue? It would do very well to break even!

DarlingtonHibee
04-01-2020, 08:17 PM
I can't understand this fantasy Hotel in the FF/E corner thing that some people seem to be swooning abou. Do you think building and maintaining a hotel there would bring significant revenue? It would do very well to break even!

Never going to happen

RoYO!
04-01-2020, 08:20 PM
Keep the NE corner for seating/ safe standing.

Lower tier seating in NW corner. Hospitality suites/ TV studio above.

Use SW for hotel/ structure.

Keep SE for ambulance access etc.

Done! Fairly straightforward this infrastructure stuff.

RoYO!
04-01-2020, 08:21 PM
Oh and I remember hearing that Edinburgh has the second highest hotel occupancy rates in Europe..

Lendo
04-01-2020, 08:24 PM
I stayed in Killie’s hotel a few years back and it was surprisingly nice, if not a tad expensive. I may be wrong but I’m sure it has been a real money spinner for them, one of the main revenue streams keeping them above water.

If they can make it work in Kilmarnock there is no reason why we couldn’t make it work in a capital city.

Alfred E Newman
04-01-2020, 08:32 PM
It will all come oot at the AGM.
:I'm waiti:I'm waiti:I'm waiti:I'm waiti:I'm waiti

H18 SFR
04-01-2020, 08:43 PM
I stayed in Killie’s hotel a few years back and it was surprisingly nice, if not a tad expensive. I may be wrong but I’m sure it has been a real money spinner for them, one of the main revenue streams keeping them above water.

If they can make it work in Kilmarnock there is no reason why we couldn’t make it work in a capital city.

Their side of the business with the hotel was sold with in excess of £2 million of debt. They had to accept 1/3 under the market value to clear the debt.

They then had to give it a cash injection that was funded through a loan through Bowie's other business.

Baldy Foghorn
04-01-2020, 08:44 PM
Not for me. Hibs club is fine where it is. It’s separate from the club and should remain so.
Club can’t get the current hospitality in the Famous five to work, why build more?

Agreed

jax67
04-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Fill in the corners
Monorail up St Clair St.
Chips.

Chips!! That’ll never happen.

Frazerbob
04-01-2020, 08:49 PM
The Supporters Club should remain completely independent of the club and that includes the building.

Pretty sure KP hinted quite strongly in his recent comms that we’d be pleased with the plans. I’m guessing he’s seen at least some of them.

Diclonius
04-01-2020, 08:50 PM
I am outraged that our new owner doesn't provide minute-by-minute updates to me, personally, on exactly what his plans are for our club or publicise and explain literally every decision he has made or will make.

offshorehibby
04-01-2020, 08:55 PM
I'd just like to know were people think we're getting £40M+ to build this magic hotel they crave.

bingo70
04-01-2020, 08:59 PM
All this hotel talk is winding me up, I don’t think anybody has said they want Hibs to build and run a hotel?!

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 08:59 PM
I am outraged that our new owner doesn't provide minute-by-minute updates to me, personally, on exactly what his plans are for our club or publicise and explain literally every decision he has made or will make.

Really?

I wonder what you did.

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 09:07 PM
All this hotel talk is winding me up, I don’t think anybody has said they want Hibs to build and run a hotel?!

Post 10, which you said a few posts later that you agreed with, said that Hibs should build an hotel, and that it might be a money spinner.

Given that you misconstrued Ron Gordon's restrained comments about the strategy which he'll put to us in the New Year as "big plans", you'll understand that if someone writes that Hibs should build an hotel, they might think people are calling for Hibs to, er, build an hotel! :greengrin

Ozyhibby
04-01-2020, 09:55 PM
If I was to guess then I think that there will mostly be announcements regarding Easter road with things like big screens, new sound system, maybe disco lights like Celtic have and much improved corporate offerings and catering options. Both interviews were very much about the improved match day experience and capital expenditure to make this happen and these are the obvious things we don’t have.

The 90+2
04-01-2020, 10:07 PM
I can't understand this fantasy Hotel in the FF/E corner thing that some people seem to be swooning about. Do you think building and maintaining a hotel there would bring significant revenue? It would do very well to break even!

I don’t think it would even gain the planning permission from the hertz ****s at the council.

The 90+2
04-01-2020, 10:09 PM
If I was to guess then I think that there will mostly be announcements regarding Easter road with things like big screens, new sound system, maybe disco lights like Celtic have and much improved corporate offerings and catering options. Both interviews were very much about the improved match day experience and capital expenditure to make this happen and these are the obvious things we don’t have.

I would settle for cheerleaders, and not the Hibs kids ones like about twenty years ago.

Ozyhibby
04-01-2020, 10:31 PM
I don’t think it would even gain the planning permission from the hertz ****s at the council.

Yip, two sides of it couldn’t have windows for a start. I think we are a very long way from anything being built in any of the corners.

Joe6-2
04-01-2020, 10:35 PM
Chips!! That’ll never happen.

Whoever heard of such a thing at a football ground 🤔

BILLYHIBS
04-01-2020, 10:39 PM

Hot running water

Oh! and chips

H18 SFR
04-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Hot running water

Oh! and chips

Chips were reinstated a while back.

jacomo
04-01-2020, 10:46 PM
I'd just like to know were people think we're getting £40M+ to build this magic hotel they crave.

We are obviously not gonna build a hotel at ER, but...

If you wanted to do so, you wouldn’t put the capital up yourself. You would assess the opportunity and then go to market. The finished hotel would most likely be operated by a chain or franchise.

CMurdoch
04-01-2020, 10:55 PM
The AGM and Ron Gordon announcements will take place after we have done all our January transfer business.

He will announce the building of the indoor pitch facility at East Mains
and for Easter Road ...... a new tannoy system as well as grass and moss removal from the side of the pitch on front of the east and from the wee roofed areas you see when you look oot the windaes when having a pre match drink Behind the Goals. Will also announce new plans in the pipeline for pie dispensers and massive chip making machines.

Since452
04-01-2020, 11:05 PM
Exciting times ahead under Ron

The 90+2
04-01-2020, 11:09 PM
Yip, two sides of it couldn’t have windows for a start. I think we are a very long way from anything being built in any of the corners.

Yeah, thats why we had to build the east when we did also.

The 90+2
04-01-2020, 11:09 PM
Exciting times ahead under Ron

Expand?

scotiaf
05-01-2020, 12:49 AM
There is probably 10000 a week getting spent on players that don’t play in our team, if we get rid of that it leaves a huge salary gap to increase quality. The guy is a business man he is not here to toss millions in a short time.

Weegreenman
05-01-2020, 12:54 AM
Dear Ron

Most of us don’t really care about the ***** score board ( it’s quite quirky tbh) or the *****y tannoy system. ( The less I hear the guy at half time continually counting down from ten the better )
We especially don’t want to know about building anymore infrastructure doon EM.
Yer match day experience is all fine and good but all we really want is a team on the effing park we can look forward to turning up every other week to support.
That’s really it in a nutshell.

Since452
05-01-2020, 01:16 AM
Expand?

He said when he came in very little was going to change this season. The player budget would remain the same etc. He's taken time to assess the situation and spent a lot of time at the club. I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised when he outlines his plan this month and also with what we do in the summer. Getting Jack Ross in was largely down to Ron. He wouldn't have come cheap. We will see big changes both on and off the park

CloudSquall
05-01-2020, 01:40 AM
Dear Ron

Most of us don’t really care about the ***** score board ( it’s quite quirky tbh) or the *****y tannoy system. ( The less I hear the guy at half time continually counting down from ten the better )
We especially don’t want to know about building anymore infrastructure doon EM.
Yer match day experience is all fine and good but all we really want is a team on the effing park we can look forward to turning up every other week to support.
That’s really it in a nutshell.

"My tea's gone cold, I'm wonderin why, i got out of bed at all. The morning rain clouds up my window and i can't see at all.
And even if i could it'd all be grey with your picture on my wall.
It reminds me that it's not so bad, it's not so bad."

Bangkok Hibby
05-01-2020, 02:42 AM
Still don’t understand why he’s bought us.

This 🤨

Greenworld
05-01-2020, 05:16 AM
Edinburgh has too many hotels as it is. So, one with its bedrooms facing a graveyard, and next to a war zone (Lochend Butterfly) may struggle.Edinburgh hotels run at 90 % occupancy

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Since90+2
05-01-2020, 05:30 AM
Edinburgh hotels run at 90 % occupancy

It's closer to 80%. Hotel occupancy means very little when it comes to turning a profit , if a property doesn't have a sufficiently high Revpar (revenue per available room) it won't be making much money.

FilipinoHibs
05-01-2020, 06:41 AM
Wonder if he was a guest at the last derby getting some advice on how to make management changes in football from Queen B?

Allant1981
05-01-2020, 08:30 AM
It's closer to 80%. Hotel occupancy means very little when it comes to turning a profit , if a property doesn't have a sufficiently high Revpar (revenue per available room) it won't be making much money.

And it dropped in 2019 in edinburgh so cant see it being an option, not that building a hotel was an option anyway in my opinion

Brightside
05-01-2020, 08:38 AM
133 replies to this? Wow

hibsbollah
05-01-2020, 08:40 AM
133 replies to this? Wow

An still nothing about filling in the corners :grr:

Speedway
05-01-2020, 08:44 AM
A big announcement from wee Ron or a wee announcement from Big Ron?

Either way, I think you’ll be able to sum it up with the phrase, ‘steady away’.

bingo70
05-01-2020, 08:46 AM
133 replies to this? Wow

What’s the problem?

The question was simply if Ron was still in the country as it was alluded to there would be further details as to his plans going forward this month and as he was here at Christmas I thought it might be around now those plans were unveiled.

No criticism of him and it’s just opened up a discussion as to what those plans might be.

Seems a valid enough topic of hibs conversation to me?

Much prefer this than some vague transfer rumours just before the transfer window opening about us maybe signing someone soon.

Brightside
05-01-2020, 08:51 AM
What’s the problem?

The question was simply if Ron was still in the country as it was alluded to there would be further details as to his plans going forward this month and as he was here at Christmas I thought it might be around now those plans were unveiled.

No criticism of him and it’s just opened up a discussion as to what those plans might be.

Much prefer this than some vague transfer rumours just before the transfer window opening about us maybe signing someone soon.

First signing completed. Re Ron. Main point will be the indoor arena at HTC in the far corner. Will be home for Hibs ladies and they are getting a £1.5m cash injection. No changes to the mens setup yet.

The Modfather
05-01-2020, 09:07 AM
First signing completed. Re Ron. Main point will be the indoor arena at HTC in the far corner. Will be home for Hibs ladies and they are getting a £1.5m cash injection. No changes to the mens setup yet.

Who have we signed?

Heisenberg
05-01-2020, 09:08 AM
Who have we signed?

Adam Bogdan extension seems to be the rumour.

JohnMcM
05-01-2020, 09:36 AM
I don't care what is announced. As long as we do the same as a big team would. So, whatever it is, I want us to spend £22.5 million on it and leave it unfinished with no view of the castle. :greengrin

hibsbollah
05-01-2020, 09:41 AM
I don't care what is announced. As long as we do the same as a big team would. So, whatever it is, I want us to spend £22.5 million on it and leave it unfinished with no view of the castle. :greengrin

I want a state of the art plant room.

I want a restaurant that it is 'almost always' described by unnamed people as the best one in Scottish football.

I want a nursery to be built that is described by unnamed people as the best council nursery in Edinburgh.

I don't mind being a year late or twice over budget to achieve our goals.

I want chips.

blackpoolhibs
05-01-2020, 09:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnmT82yGpk

Bronson
05-01-2020, 10:01 AM
"My tea's gone cold, I'm wonderin why, i got out of bed at all. The morning rain clouds up my window and i can't see at all.

Underrated reply

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2020, 10:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFnmT82yGpk

:greengrin

Proof?

Bronson
05-01-2020, 10:09 AM

Can’t tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or ITK but i really hope not. At the risk of offending some, a £1.5m cash injection to the womens team would be a monumental waste of money given the disparity of interest between the womens and mens game. Put the money where the paying supporters go to watch, if there’s a day when that’s the womens team i will have no complaints.

Baldy Foghorn
05-01-2020, 10:09 AM
The AGM and Ron Gordon announcements will take place after we have done all our January transfer business.

He will announce the building of the indoor pitch facility at East Mains
and for Easter Road ...... a new tannoy system as well as grass and moss removal from the side of the pitch on front of the east and from the wee roofed areas you see when you look oot the windaes when having a pre match drink Behind the Goals. Will also announce new plans in the pipeline for pie dispensers and massive chip making machines.

Looking like early February for AGM I imagine

PaulSmith
05-01-2020, 10:10 AM
What’s the problem?

Its almost impossible to have a sensible debate about anything on Hibs.net these days without posters polarising opinion, looking for bites and being a smart erse behind a keyboard.

Personally I think you’ve made a very valid and well balanced point. One that perhaps doesn’t sit too easy with some on here.

PaulSmith
05-01-2020, 10:17 AM

If Ron has taken 7 months to conduct a review and the best that we get is an indoor arena (which has been in plan for c2 years) and a cash injection of £1.5m to the ladies team then some idiot has got in his ear and he’s looking in the wrong place to grow the club.

If, and it’s a massive if, the £1.5m is coming directly from the clubs existing incomes (ST, TV, sponsorship) then I’ll be thinking twice about buying my ST’s next year... why should I help to fund a ladies team that I have zero interest in??

JimBHibees
05-01-2020, 10:18 AM
If Ron has taken 7 months to conduct a review and the best that we get is an indoor arena (which has been in plan for c2 years) and a cash injection of £1.5m to the ladies team then some idiot has got in his ear and he’s looking in the wrong place to grow the club.

If, and it’s a massive if, the £1.5m is coming directly from the clubs existing incomes (ST, TV, sponsorship) then I’ll be thinking twice about buying my ST’s next year... why should I help to fund a ladies team that I have zero interest in??

Get the impression that is a wind up. :greengrin

PaulSmith
05-01-2020, 10:23 AM
Get the impression that is a wind up. :greengrin

Exactly why this site is absolutely dug crap these days then...it’s a kids playground most of the time. Grown men posting immature “wind ups” looking for bites. Honestly it’s pathetic.

Baldy Foghorn
05-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Exactly why this site is absolutely dug crap these days then...it’s a kids playground most of the time. Grown men posting immature “wind ups” looking for bites. Honestly it’s pathetic.

You didn't really think £1.5m would go into ladies team PS did you?

We don't put that into the first team

Pretty Boy
05-01-2020, 10:29 AM
I think the announcements when they come are going to be somewhat underwhelming, certainly based on what some seem to be expecting.

A further development at East Mains and a scheme set up which will see fans asked to contribute to funding it. A formal announcement of the new commercial positions we have all seen advertised and an overview of what these roles entail and what benefits they may bring. Announcement of some kind of survey and study into what fans want to see in the way of improvements at ER and how feasible they are.

At the more exciting end of the scale maybe announcement of exploring a link up with a North American team. There will almost certainly be no detailed announcement of an increase in revenue streams, an increase in football budget or a cash injection. That’s not to say none of those things will happen but it is highly unlikely we will put it out there in black and white for everyone to see. Certainly not before it has been communicated at the AGM.

Business reviews tend to be thorough but rarely see overly exciting changes at the end of them. Particularly the case when a business is performing reasonably well, Hibs aren’t performing fantastically in a commercial sense but until the sponsor debacle this year it’s not been disastrous either.

I’m certainly interested in what Ron Gordon has to say and what his vision is for Hibs. I’m just not expecting to be blown away by what is eventually revealed.

Baldy Foghorn
05-01-2020, 10:38 AM
I think the announcements when they come are going to be somewhat underwhelming, certainly based on what some seem to be expecting.

A further development at East Mains and a scheme set up which will see fans asked to contribute to funding it. A formal announcement of the new commercial positions we have all seen advertised and an overview of what these roles entail and what benefits they may bring. Announcement of some kind of survey and study into what fans want to see in the way of improvements at ER and how feasible they are.

At the more exciting end of the scale maybe announcement of exploring a link up with a North American team. There will almost certainly be no detailed announcement of an increase in revenue streams, an increase in football budget or a cash injection. That’s not to say none of those things will happen but it is highly unlikely we will put it out there in black and white for everyone to see. Certainly not before it has been communicated at the AGM.

Business reviews tend to be thorough but rarely see overly exciting changes at the end of them. Particularly the case when a business is performing reasonably well, Hibs aren’t performing fantastically in a commercial sense but until the sponsor debacle this year it’s not been disastrous either.

I’m certainly interested in what Ron Gordon has to say and what his vision is for Hibs. I’m just not expecting to be blown away by what is eventually revealed.

Think you have nailed it.

Brightside
05-01-2020, 10:41 AM

Really? Hibs don’t even invest 1.5m in the men’s team. Relax. Go for a walk. Enjoy your day.

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2020, 10:44 AM

So no Sparky then?

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 10:45 AM
I don’t think for a second Hibs will want to become hoteliers but selling the area to a company to build a hotel is feasible surely?

Anyway, I think hotels being built is yesterday’s news, short term let’s are where the money is now, especially in Edinburgh so I think that’s where the value would be on that site.

The save Leith walk campaign recently won I think, if the developers who were hoping to build down there are looking for an alternative site, that one could be ideal for them.

So, you're hoping that the club can sell a bit of land to a hotel developer that doesn't know hotels are a thing of the past?

I also think they are yesterday's news. Edinburgh is close to over capacity for hotels, tourism is becoming a bad word, and the area is not really where tourists would want to stay anyway.

The part of Leith Walk that was "saved", ie the plans will be resubmitted, plus brown paper envelopes, is a long way from a corner of a football stadium in a depressed part of town.

I regularly stay at the hotel at Stamford Bridge, it seems to struggle outside match days, and it has a tube station on its door step.

Dan Sarf
05-01-2020, 10:48 AM

Thank you! Made my morning!

offshorehibby
05-01-2020, 10:48 AM

I think you have most of this spot on. Where i think we will see a lot of changes is inward investment. Looking at some of the recent job announcements we will be looking to up the corporate investment. Going by comments on here recently the likes of hospitality and sponsorship is not were it should be. Up our game here and that ups investment in the team.

BILLYHIBS
05-01-2020, 10:49 AM
Chips were reinstated a while back.
There was a sign up in the West Upper stating Chips unavailable due to technical reasons but just been informed by a good source that a video went viral at the recent Sevco singalong of a HIBS fan enjoying a cardboard Pizza and chips though not sure if that was in the East ? ��

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 10:51 AM
We are obviously not gonna build a hotel at ER, but...

If you wanted to do so, you wouldn’t put the capital up yourself. You would assess the opportunity and then go to market. The finished hotel would most likely be operated by a chain or franchise.

:eek:

Weegreenman
05-01-2020, 10:55 AM

Bravo! 👏

Allant1981
05-01-2020, 10:55 AM
So, you're hoping that the club can sell a bit of land to a hotel developer that doesn't know hotels are a thing of the past?

I also think they are yesterday's news. Edinburgh is close to over capacity for hotels, tourism is becoming a bad word, and the area is not really where tourists would want to stay anyway.

The part of Leith Walk that was "saved", ie the plans will be resubmitted, plus brown paper envelopes, is a long way from a corner of a football stadium in a depressed part of town.

I regularly stay at the hotel at Stamford Bridge, it seems to struggle outside match days, and it has a tube station on its door step.

So you regularly stay in a hotel but hotels are a thing of the past, ok then!!

The Modfather
05-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Really? Hibs don’t even invest 1.5m in the men’s team. Relax. Go for a walk. Enjoy your day.

Was your claim we’ve already signed someone also part of the trolling? Or are you waiting until the widely expected announcement that Bogdan has signed a new deal is announced before claiming that’s who you were hinting at all along?

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 10:59 AM
Was your claim we’ve already signed someone also part of the trolling? Or are you waiting until the widely expected announcement that Bogdan has signed a new deal is announced before claiming that’s who you were hinting at all along?

I thought it was meant to be Griffiths.

:dunno:

Brightside
05-01-2020, 11:02 AM

We’ve already talked about Bogdan on the PM board. Pretty sure that’s done. It’s not trolling to make a flippant very obvious bull remark.

jacomo
05-01-2020, 11:05 AM

Disappointed tbh.

Don’t wait for evidence... just tear up your ST now on the basis of an unfounded rumour and vent your fury about it. It’s what the rest of the world does these days...

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 11:06 AM
So you regularly stay in a hotel but hotels are a thing of the past, ok then!!

I regularly stay in a hotel that is well below its occupancy. For that reason I don't pay much, and I don't think the hotelier makes a great profit.

My reference to thing of the past was in terms of the Edinburgh market that is reaching saturation point. Furthermore the backlash against tourism and student accommodation will make getting planning permission more difficult in future.

Question: if you had the money, would you invest it in a hotel on that site?

Hibbyradge
05-01-2020, 11:19 AM
I want a state of the art plant room.

I want a restaurant that it is 'almost always' described by unnamed people as the best one in Scottish football.

I want a nursery to be built that is described by unnamed people as the best council nursery in Edinburgh.

I don't mind being a year late or twice over budget to achieve our goals.

I want chips.

Why do you continually refuse to call for an escalator?

Are you afraid of heights or is it just sheer pigheaded stubbornness. :grr:

GloryGlory
05-01-2020, 11:23 AM
I regularly stay in a hotel that is well below its occupancy. For that reason I don't pay much, and I don't think the hotelier makes a great profit.

My reference to thing of the past was in terms of the Edinburgh market that is reaching saturation point. Furthermore the backlash against tourism and student accommodation will make getting planning permission more difficult in future.

If only that were true. Unfortunately the planning department is still in thrall to developers of all kinds - for example, giving permission for another office development within metres of our flats in Fountainbridge, despite several empty office blocks already to let in the area, new blocks coming on stream soon, large undeveloped sites (which have had planning permission for yonks with no work started yet) like the old Fountain North, the Haymarket goods yard and dozens of objections from local residents, with not one submission in support of the new office block, and offices being converted to hotels because nobody wants to use them as offices anymore. Yet the case was put forward by the developers on the basis of some fictional "demand" for new offices in the area and given consent.

pollution
05-01-2020, 11:29 AM

You raise a good point: the hotelier knows that he will have a minimum of 20 or so match day occupation plus Christmas and new year at Chelsea.

This will be built into his profitability figures. As for Edinburgh, new hotels are all the rage still. Not everyone wants a B and B or a flat.

A good 4 months of 80% plus occupation 100% at New year and it is worth it by far. Hotels are not falling out of favour at all.

Planning applications may be difficult to get though but a 150 room hotel brings a lot of business rate £ to the council.

Greenworld
05-01-2020, 11:37 AM
Whatever Ron announces as the plan going forward I hope it's a very different fresh approach . American style food stalls and service levels. American soccer link ups and America style income from advertising .
We can rebrand as the Edinburgh cowboys imagine digging out your stetson on match days .
All our gay supporters can wear leather chaps to the game before hitting cc blooms straight from the game.
He'll there will be so much going on we won't care what's happening on the pitch yee haa

Allant1981
05-01-2020, 11:39 AM

I dont know exact figures but there wont be many hotels in the city centre running at a loss, outwit the centre I'm not sure but easter road is ideal for getting up into the city centre and ideal for tourists, hotels are still on the up in edinburgh and if it was going to go ahead then the council would give planning permission, of that im sure. I personally would not get involved in a hotel, I've worked in both a 5 star hotel and golf resort and a small 3 star hotel and wouldnt own one at all, too much work involved!

The 90+2
05-01-2020, 11:45 AM

I would invest in student accommodation, and trust me there’s a lot more plans to build even more in the near future 😁

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 11:56 AM
I would invest in student accommodation, and trust me there’s a lot more plans to build even more in the near future 😁

I know there's plans, however there are the green shoots of resistance as well. Too many people waking up to council corruption now.

Anyway, we're both agreed, Ron really needs to avoid hotels.

Personally I was hoping for a monorail linking into the tram network hub at Picardy Place, where Line 1 intersects with Line 1.

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 12:00 PM
I dont know exact figures but there wont be many hotels in the city centre running at a loss, outwit the centre I'm not sure but easter road is ideal for getting up into the city centre and ideal for tourists, hotels are still on the up in edinburgh and if it was going to go ahead then the council would give planning permission, of that im sure. I personally would not get involved in a hotel, I've worked in both a 5 star hotel and golf resort and a small 3 star hotel and wouldnt own one at all, too much work involved!

Fair enough, Easter Road is well placed for getting into town, and gentrification is well underway. Albion Road is a different kettle of fish, and I can't see it scoring well for location on the likes of TripAdvisor.

hibsbollah
05-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Why do you continually refuse to call for an escalator?

Are you afraid of heights or is it just sheer pigheaded stubbornness. :grr:

In city underground systems, the spaces between up and down escalators are often sheer, steep, resemble children's slides and are frequently used as such by the drunk and the infantile. As such, I call on Ron Gordon to install such an escalator system at Easter Road, replete with a small ski jump at the bottom and a sand pit pitchside. Wheelchair users are cordially invited to get involved. I have been told many times that we would then have the best system of its kind in Scottish football, and it would cost significantly less than a hotel at 80% occupancy.

The 90+2
05-01-2020, 12:26 PM
I know there's plans, however there are the green shoots of resistance as well. Too many people waking up to council corruption now.

Anyway, we're both agreed, Ron really needs to avoid hotels.

Personally I was hoping for a monorail linking into the tram network hub at Picardy Place, where Line 1 intersects with Line 1.

Good shout, or the the opposite of what they have at the pink dump and a never ending escalator in the FF 😁

Smartie
05-01-2020, 12:26 PM
Whatever Ron announces as the plan going forward I hope it's a very different fresh approach . American style food stalls and service levels. American soccer link ups and America style income from advertising .
We can rebrand as the Edinburgh cowboys imagine digging out your stetson on match days .
All our gay supporters can wear leather chaps to the game before hitting cc blooms straight from the game.
He'll there will be so much going on we won't care what's happening on the pitch yee haa

“Chips n chaps” day.

Maybe best not have it the same fixture as a Hibs kids game though.

Does it have to be for gay fans only? I’m right up for it.

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 12:28 PM
We can rebrand as the Edinburgh cowboys......

We'd be sued by Hearts, on copyright grounds.

hibsbollah
05-01-2020, 12:29 PM
“Chips n chaps” day.

This will definitely escalate...

:offski:

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 12:30 PM
“Chips n chaps” day.

Unless you are gay, or a cowboy, or both, wearing chaps is the equivalent of blacking up and affecting a Punjabi accent to sell Vesta curry.

Baader
05-01-2020, 12:31 PM
Unless you are gay, or a cowboy, or both, wearing chaps is the equivalent of blacking up and affecting a Punjabi accent to sell Vesta curry.

Smarter than jogging bottoms though...

Hibbyradge
05-01-2020, 12:33 PM
In city underground systems, the spaces between up and down escalators are often sheer, steep, resemble children's slides and are frequently used as such by the drunk and the infantile. As such, I call on Ron Gordon to install such an escalator system at Easter Road, replete with a small ski jump at the bottom and a sand pit pitchside. Wheelchair users are cordially invited to get involved. I have been told many times that we would then have the best system of its kind in Scottish football, and it would cost significantly less than a hotel at 80% occupancy.

'kin visionary! :not worth

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 12:34 PM

If people identify with jogging bottoms we should be providing the space for them to express themselves, rather than forcing them into stereotypical cisgender roles .

We are more than a club.

hibsbollah
05-01-2020, 12:36 PM

Plus you can't interfere with yourself through the cotton fabric like so many of today's jogger wearing youngsters seem to enjoy doing...

PaulSmith
05-01-2020, 12:44 PM
The last page and a half of posts are cringeworthy and unsurprisingly childish, the few are spoiling this site for the many.

superfurryhibby
05-01-2020, 12:46 PM

Not sure if you’re serious about fans contributing to any future developmental atEast Mains? That would be very poorly received.

Your last paragraph, it brings us back to the why bother question. Why would any successful business buy into a minor club operating at the erse end of European football? Obvs Little Big Ron isn’t alone in this strange scenario, there must be some logic to it all?

Jack Hackett
05-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Good shout, or the the opposite of what they have at the pink dump and a never ending escalator in the FF 😁

Never mind an escalator, get one of these in

Hibbyradge
05-01-2020, 12:59 PM
The last page and a half of posts are cringeworthy and unsurprisingly childish, the few are spoiling this site for the many.

When you wrote "the many", did you mean to type 'me"?

Here's a précis of the facts contained on this thread;

Ron Gordon will reveal his strategy to take the club forward sometime in the future, possibly at the AGM.

At no point did he say he had "big plans".

That's it.

The rest is nonsense, whether it's utter nonsense, hopeful nonsense or cringeworthy nonsense.

Pretty Boy
05-01-2020, 01:04 PM
Not sure if you’re serious about fans contributing to any future developmental atEast Mains? That would be very poorly received.

Your last paragraph, it brings us back to the why bother question. Why would any successful business buy into a minor club operating at the erse end of Scottish football? Obvs Little Big Ron isn’t alone in this strange scenario, there must be some logic to it all?

I'm absolutely serious. It's based on a bit of supposition, his own 'pony up' comment and a few rumours and whispers that seem to be doing the rounds.

I agree it won't be particularly favourable received if it proves to be true.

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 01:06 PM

Your last paragraph, it brings us back to the why bother question. Why would any successful business buy into a minor club operating at the erse end of Scottish football? Obvs Little Big Ron isn’t alone in this strange scenario, there must be some logic to it all?

Genuine question, how successful has Ron or his businesses been? I honestly don't know, but it seems to me that he may actually be a smaller operator and he is maybe doing well to have an involvement in Hibs.

We tend to think of America as being vastly different from here, but it has the same complex layers of business to us. You can be s big shot in North Carolina, but unheard of nationally.

Tom Farmer was probably just as successful than Ron. He's just a bloke looking for a hobby IMO.

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 01:08 PM

Barcelo Malaga? I would have booked, but there was no view of the Castle available - even with chips on the bar menu, it fell short of what I was looking for.

1 8 7 5
05-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Its almost impossible to have a sensible debate about anything on Hibs.net these days without posters polarising opinion, looking for bites and being a smart erse behind a keyboard.

Personally I think you’ve made a very valid and well balanced point. One that perhaps doesn’t sit too easy with some on here.

Quite right Paul :aok:

Good thread Bingo :aok:

The 90+2
05-01-2020, 01:11 PM

That would be worth the season ticket alone 😁

Brightside
05-01-2020, 01:11 PM
I'm absolutely serious. It's based on a bit of supposition, his own 'pony up' comment and a few rumours and whispers that seem to be doing the rounds.

I think you are spot on. Will be some sort of plaque idea.

Smartie
05-01-2020, 01:12 PM

The last page and a half are vintage Hibs.net.

Hibs are going to potter about roughly mid-table in the top league of Scotland for about 90% of our existence. We'll win a trophy every decade or so, get relegated every couple of decades. We'll occasionally qualify for Europe, allowing us to go on fun trips abroad, we'll occasionally get dumped out of domestic cups by unimaginably poor opposition. Managers will come and go, chairmen will come and go, owners will come and go.

The idea that Ron Gordon is going to revolutionise anything is cringeworthy, so the anticipation of "big news" is asking for the piss to be ripped and I'm delighted to see so many people step up to the plate.

Hibs for many people will always be a vehicle for discussion, for fun, for laughing and joking about with their mates and that's what's happening here. Ok, sometimes it gets serious but it can't be serious all the time.

Other opinions are, of course, available.

You need a shot on that big slide imo.

Or maybe a Snickers.

hibsbollah
05-01-2020, 01:14 PM

Hibs are going to potter about roughly mid-table in the top league of Scotland for about 90% of our existence. We'll win a trophy every decade or so, get relegated every couple of decades. We'll occasionally qualify for Europe, allowing us to go on fun trips abroad, we'll occasionally get dumped out of domestic cups by unimaginably poor opposition. Managers will come and go, chairmen will come and go, owners will come and go.

The idea that Ron Gordon is going to revolutionise anything is cringeworthy, so the anticipation of "big news" is asking for the piss to be ripped and I'm delighted to see so many people step up to the plate.

Hibs for many people will always be a vehicle for discussion, for fun, for laughing and joking about with their mates and that's what's happening here. Ok, sometimes it gets serious but it can't be serious all the time.

You need a shot on that big slide.

Or maybe a Snickers.

He should be thankful the puns didn't make an appearance.

I get the rage when that nonsense starts.

Allant1981
05-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Genuine question, how successful has Ron or his businesses been? I honestly don't know, but it seems to me that he may actually be a smaller operator and he is maybe doing well to have an involvement in Hibs.

We tend to think of America as being vastly different from here, but it has the same complex layers of business to us. You can be s big shot in North Carolina, but unheard of nationally.

Tom Farmer was probably just as successful than Ron. He's just a bloke looking for a hobby IMO.

Well he sold one company for $75m, dunno how much of that was profit but he obviously knows what he is doing seeing as he started it with $200, he was involved with various other companies at a very high level so will have a lot of experience and a fair bit of cash, how much he will spend on the club is the big question though

PaulSmith
05-01-2020, 01:17 PM
When you wrote "the many", did you mean to type 'me"?

Here's a précis of the facts contained on this thread;

Ron Gordon will reveal his strategy to take the club forward sometime in the future, possibly at the AGM.

At no point did he say he had "big plans".

That's it.

If I wanted to quote someone then I'd quite happily say who I thought it was. As I said the last page and a half of posts are desperate but an indication of how poor this site has become, having to troll (no pun intended) through childish post after post and at the end of it you lose the will to contribute.

This isn't about this thread it's about every thread that starts which is then infected by absolute nonsense which has nothing to do with Hibs.

I'm going to pre-empt your next reply which will probably be that no-one is forcing you to come onto the site, you'd be absolutely right but its disappointing that this site which was once full of healthy debate (which played an important part in keeping the club honest) is now populated by posts which are irrelevant, childish and pretty pathetic attempts at humour.

Phil MaGlass
05-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Instead of the escalators slide, we could always do what Ajax did

http://ajaxshowtime.com/uploads/inline/FILE-20191028-1851MBLQW4J5MZZL.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EH5RJEHWsAoW4IU.jpg

an actual waterslide, for when they score, for fans.

The 90+2
05-01-2020, 01:20 PM
He should be thankful the puns didn't make an appearance.

I get the rage when that nonsense starts.

Now you’ve gone and done it 🙈🙈🙈

Bostonhibby
05-01-2020, 01:23 PM

Or maybe a Snickers.That's my entire lifetime experience of following and loving Hibs just been summed up.

How did you know?[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 01:25 PM
Well he sold one company for $75m, dunno how much of that was profit but he obviously knows what he is doing seeing as he started it with $200, he was involved with various other companies at a very high level so will have a lot of experience and a fair bit of cash, how much he will spend on the club is the big question though

The big question indeed, but it seems very few of us are qualified to comment on what level of business man Ron actually is, and how much spare change he has kicking about.

Using the example of Hearts, it seems a lot of people are prepared to put a lot of trust in people who are presented as rich, successful businessmen and women.

Sometimes they are just small time operators who did well. It doesn't matter where they are from or otherwise.

As we are all into speculating, I tend to go with the idea that Ron wants to keep the place ticking over as before, whilst keeping himself in a position to capatilise on any opportunities that arise for him.

London Hibs FC
05-01-2020, 01:27 PM

A man talking my language 👌. Saw your earlier quotes too, agree with all you say regarding the mere thought of us looking at developing a hotel product.

Ron will be prioritizing his priorities accordingly and this type of project will be way down the list.

Joe6-2
05-01-2020, 01:31 PM
Plus you can't interfere with yourself through the cotton fabric like so many of today's jogger wearing youngsters seem to enjoy doing...

Yeah, wtf is that all about?

Joe6-2
05-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Love it!!!

GloryGlory
05-01-2020, 01:38 PM

ISTR that Ron is buddies with the guy that owns Real Salt Lake.

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 01:59 PM
ISTR that Ron is buddies with the guy that owns Real Salt Lake.

Just to bring a bit of context, they are a similar sized club to us.

"As Real Salt Lake is a small-market team, one of the team's biggest challenges is bringing in enough revenue to remain competitive.[53] Opening Rio Tinto Stadium in October 2008 provided a significant revenue boost to the team. Real Salt Lake went from 4,000 season-ticket holders before October 2008, to 8,750 in 2012, 10,000 in 2013,[53] and 15,000+ in 2016.[54]"

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 02:03 PM

Somebody got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

Jack Hackett
05-01-2020, 02:07 PM
Barcelo Malaga? I would have booked, but there was no view of the Castle available - even with chips on the bar menu, it fell short of what I was looking for.

:agree:

Did an over-nighter a couple of years back, and I can confirm the lack of (Edinburgh) castle view... which was actually a relief. I also declined an invitation to use the slide, as I wasn't looking for a hertz experience... all the way from the top to the bottom in a year :greengrin

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 02:12 PM

Did an over-nighter a couple of years back, and I can confirm the lack of (Edinburgh) castle view... which was actually a relief. I also declined an invitation to use the slide, as I wasn't looking for a hertz experience... all the way from the top to the bottom in a year :greengrin

That is one slow slide, and makes me gladder I didn't book. In fact it is yet more proof that hotels are a thing of the past.

Jack Hackett
05-01-2020, 02:16 PM
That is one slow slide, and makes me gladder I didn't book. In fact it is yet more proof that hotels are a thing of the past.

... and hertz

bingo70
05-01-2020, 02:24 PM

Or maybe a Snickers.

So Hibs get taken over by a Peruvian millionaire, we don’t get told what his plans are or into any depth as to why he bought the club. We don’t hear from him other than a 5 minute interview on the hibs tv channel but we are told we will hear more after he’s assessed the club and put into place his business plan, which is due to be around about now.

By asking the question what those plans are and if we’ll hear them soon, seeing as he was in Edinburgh for Christmas, that’s what’s worthy of piss taking on hibs.net now?

I know I’ll be coming across precious here but I don’t really care, PS is right, this thread is just full of people wanting to be smart *****, this thread was non offensive, not criticising anyone, just a genuine interest as to what the owners plans would be, why that’s a problem I’ve no idea.

If I’ve been suckered in by hoping our new owner might actually have some ambitious plans then so be it.

PaulSmith
05-01-2020, 02:31 PM
Somebody got out of bed on the wrong side this morning.

Not at all, I was simply hoping that I’d come into a Hibs site and read/debate about Ron Gordon’s plans for Hibs.

I realise that this site is now more used for “friends banter” rather than what it was once good for, that’s absolutely fine so feel free to crack on with comments about chutes, escalators, castles and in house jokes that no else else finds funny.

Allant1981
05-01-2020, 02:34 PM
Not at all, I was simply hoping that I’d come into a Hibs site and read/debate about Ron Gordon’s plans for Hibs.

I realise that this site is now more used for “friends banter” rather than what it was once good for, that’s absolutely fine so feel free to crack on with comments about chutes, escalators, castles and in house jokes that no else else finds funny.

What did you realistically think you were going to read on here about the plans that he has for the club seeing as no one outside the club actually knows what's happening

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 02:42 PM

By asking the question what those plans are and if we’ll hear them soon, seeing as he was in Edinburgh for Christmas, that’s what’s worthy of piss taking on hibs.net now?

I know I’ll be coming across precious here but I don’t really care, PS is right, this thread is just full of people wanting to be smart *****, this thread was non offensive, not criticising anyone, just a genuine interest as to what the owners plans would be, why that’s a problem I’ve no idea.

If I’ve been suckered in by hoping our new owner might actually have some ambitious plans then so be it.

Can I just ask, what is it you expect from people as a reply?

We have just as much knowledge of what his plans are as you do, so we can't provide any useful answers.

The alternatives are:

Go off on a total rant about how the club have left us in the dark, perhaps with meaningless threats about handing our season tickets back.
Post a reply saying, "don't know"
Reply with various theories, none based on any inside knowledge whatsoever, so not of any use to anybody.
Not take the thread too seriously and engage in speculation, interspersed with (admittedly quite often poor) attempts at humour
Ignore the thread completely.

Which of the above options would suit you the most?

Hibbyradge
05-01-2020, 02:44 PM
So Hibs get taken over by a Peruvian millionaire, we don’t get told what his plans are or into any depth as to why he bought the club. We don’t hear from him other than a 5 minute interview on the hibs tv channel but we are told we will hear more after he’s assessed the club and put into place his business plan, which is due to be around about now.

There was nothing wrong with your post, which contained 2 questions. "Did anyone know if RG was still in Edinburgh?" and "Were you right that we were due to hear do?".

The answers were "No" and "Yes".

When people start speculating about what the announcement might contain, it becomes pointless and it's inevitable that when folk start fantasising about hotels and student accommodation, Hibs supporters clubs etc, it's going to descend into a piss take.

Hibbyradge
05-01-2020, 02:49 PM
In fact, Stoneyburn's first post was the most accurate.

He said that it was probably best not to speculate.

bingo70
05-01-2020, 02:50 PM

We have just as much knowledge of what his plans are as you do, so we can't provide any useful answers.

The alternatives are:

1) Go off on a total rant about how the club have left us in the dark, perhaps with meaningless threats about handing our season tickets back.
2) Post a reply saying, "don't know"
3) Reply with various theories, none based on any inside knowledge whatsoever, so not of any use to anybody.
4) Not take the thread too seriously and engage in speculation, interspersed with (admittedly quite often poor) attempts at humour
5) Ignore the thread completely.

First of all, I wondered if anybody knew if he was still in Edinburgh, as that would give an indication if we’d be hearing from him soon.

Other than that I was wondering if anybody had any theories, ideas or had heard rumours as to what his plans might be, seeing as it’s not something that we’ve really heard from him, that seems a reasonable enough talking point to me on a Hibs message board?

As it turns out, I remembered the interview incorrectly, I thought he has said there was big plans. Someone corrected me on that, that’s fine, I just don’t think there’s a need for the smart ***** point scoring or being dicks about it.

FWIW I had decided not to come back on the thread as no good was coming from it any more, after reading it though, I appreciated Paul Smiths points and agreed with him so wanted to chuck my tuppence worth in.

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 02:51 PM

So the OP could have closed the thread at that point and saved himself a lot of stress.

bingo70
05-01-2020, 02:52 PM

Why?

Speculating Is all part of the fun of being a supporter.

HoboHarry
05-01-2020, 02:56 PM

The alternatives are:

Go off on a total rant about how the club have left us in the dark, perhaps with meaningless threats about handing our season tickets back.
Post a reply saying, "don't know"
Reply with various theories, none based on any inside knowledge whatsoever, so not of any use to anybody.
Not take the thread too seriously and engage in speculation, interspersed with (admittedly quite often poor) attempts at humour
Ignore the thread completely.

Those alternatives could apply to a good number of threads these days, including the various transfer threads :greengrin

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 02:56 PM
Why?

In fairness, there was a rather long discussion on the subject of building a Hotel.

There was a reminder that Gordon had mentioned development on the Training Centre, and his Pony Up phrase

Somebody mentioned other ways to fill in the corners.

Then people ran out of genuine ideas and it went all DotNet.

I honestly don't see what the problem is.

hibbie02
05-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Its always been the Hibs.net way. We are not party to inside information, so speculation happens and then the banter merchants pile in. ‘‘Twas always the way. It would be pretty quiet on here if we only discussed known facts and in the know low down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Weegreenman
05-01-2020, 03:04 PM
Why?

Exactly mate.

Pretty Boy
05-01-2020, 03:12 PM
I think this thread remained relatively serious for a long while, as it ran out of steam it got a bit silly.

I've no real issue with that. The truth is no one on here knows anything about the plans of Ron Gordon, our transfer dealings or how much a pie is going to cost next season. It's all speculation, rumour and guesswork. If you are looking to Hibs.net for serious information on what is happening at Hibs then you are probably looking in the wrong place. With that speculation there is always going to be an element of piss take and daftness.

JohnMcM
05-01-2020, 03:21 PM

Very old mate of mine had to use those supposition things for a wee while because he couldn't pass his own pony and trap. Rumour was that he whispered to his doctor who was doing his rounds they were a pain in the a@@e. :greengrin

Smartie
05-01-2020, 03:22 PM

I don't really know what you were expecting.

There are plenty of reasonable suggestions on here, some fanciful ones that folk think are serious and a wee bit of nonsense.

It's a decent thread.

Every now and again subjects are raised that aren't to my liking and there are jokes I just don't get, that's the way it's going to be when you have a site read by thousands and contributed to by hundreds. Never though do I feel the need to lecture anyone or claim that because there are half a dozen posts about nonsense that the whole site has somehow gone downhill.

There seems to be something about transfer windows and no football that when we start to fill our time with a bit of harmless daft stuff that we have the incredibly serious brigade who get upset that the site isn't 100% full of ITK facts and knowledge.

Ron Gordon has been secretive as appears to be his way. I don't suspect he'll have any real big plans as I don't know what plans he could possibly come up with. The food might get a bit better. We might get a sponsorship deal. Our playing budget will largely be commensurate with our standing in the Scottish game, as it should be. I don't think there will be hotels or the discovery of half-time entertainment that is any different or better than we have currently or goes on elsewhere. I'm happy to hear folk come up with serious suggestions, I'm happy for folk to come up with crazy suggestions and I'm especially happy for folk to take the piss. When I post something that I know is a bit contentious (such as the post you have replied to) then I expect a bit of grief back.

Apologies if you thought my post was more mocking than it actually was intended to be, which was not the intention at all. I just quite like the talk of chutes, escalators, ski jumps and chaps etc - it makes me chuckle, but I appreciate that is not the case for everyone.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-01-2020, 03:23 PM
I think this thread remained relatively serious for a long while, as it ran out of steam it got a bit silly.

I've no real issue with that. The truth is no one on here knows anything about the plans of Ron Gordon, our transfer dealings or how much a pie is going to cost next season. It's all speculation, rumour and guesswork. If you are looking to Hibs.net for serious information on what is happening at Hibs then you are probably looking in the wrong place. With that speculation there is always going to be an element of piss take and daftness.

Is it not just a question of timing?
Would announcements around Christmas not just upstage the important thing - making top 6?
Keep the eye on the prize and announce as we commence the latter part of the season or whenever he’s choosing fit. How could someone new to the industry in the just in the club 5 minutes have any credibility unless sufficient time was spent examining the art of the possible versus the aspiration and then announcing something of substance?

PaulSmith
05-01-2020, 03:29 PM
What did you realistically think you were going to read on here about the plans that he has for the club seeing as no one outside the club actually knows what's happening

Realistically some decent discussions about how he might grow the club, how Archie Paton might use his contacts, how we might be able to see sponsorship increasing, strategic partnerships, how investment might help us get into Europa League 3 and what benefits that brings...that's just a small example but nope the vast majority are left to read absolute nonsense "banter" between a small group of online friends.

There is also the debate to be had about Ron Gordon, one poster actually thinks that nothing will change, so why did he actually invest? Is that not worthy of a discussion as to his motives, what were his reasons for buying Hibernian...was it just cause he liked the name, to make money, to make himself a well known name outside of his own businesses.

Smartie
05-01-2020, 03:36 PM
Realistically some decent discussions about how he might grow the club, how Archie Paton might use his contacts, how we might be able to see sponsorship increasing, strategic partnerships, how investment might help us get into Europa League 3 and what benefits that brings...that's just a small example but nope the vast majority are left to read absolute nonsense "banter" between a small group of online friends.

There is also the debate to be had about Ron Gordon, one poster actually thinks that nothing will change, so why did he actually invest? Is that not worthy of a discussion as to his motives, what were his reasons for buying Hibernian...was it just cause he liked the name, to make money, to make himself a well known name outside of his own businesses.

I don't disagree with you and think this is a pretty good post. You make good points.

But must serious debate and nonsense be mutually exclusive?

Is it so hard to spend less than 5 seconds scan reading a post, realising that it is nonsense of no interest and leaving it at that before moving to the next one where you might find more of what you are looking for?

When a subject is as speculative as this it is always going to veer a bit along the way.

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 03:38 PM

How realistic can those discussions be though? I have to concede though, you have come up with some good topics.

I am not sure who Archie Paton is, so would be keen to learn how he might use his contacts, as well.
I am definitely keen to hear how we could get into the Europa League, as I have seen this as the way Hibs have had to go for the last 25 years.
I do think debate on Ron Gordon would be a bit silly without any real statement from him, or somebody who actually has any idea about accounting or business to comment on his status. "He must be good because...." is about as much use to me as saying he can steer a submarine around the Baltic.

But, nobody actually mentioned those. Your thoughts on the first two would be welcome though. :aok:

matty_f
05-01-2020, 03:39 PM
I don't disagree with you and think this is a pretty good post. You make good points.

But must serious debate and nonsense be mutually exclusive?

Is it so hard to spend less than 5 seconds scan reading a post, realising that it is nonsense of no interest and leaving it at that before moving to the next one where you might find more of what you are looking for?

When a subject is as speculative as this it is always going to veer a bit along the way.
I agree.

There's room for serious discussion as much as the nonsense for whoever wants it.

I think a good topic would be to discuss what people would do if they were in charge. What would they change/ prioritise etc.

BroxburnHibee
05-01-2020, 03:43 PM

Now that is a very good post. One which you could have posted a while back instead of having a pop at the site.

I've just read through the thread and don't see much wrong apart from the discussion tailing off as no one really knows anything.

I honestly don't see what got you so upset.

Hopefully you'll get some good responses to that post.

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 03:56 PM

Feel free to contribute everything you know about those subjects.

Keep in mind that every single bit of it would be pure speculation and no more useful than the attempts at humour made by some.

Unless, of course, you yourself have any genuine inside info.

Brightside
05-01-2020, 03:57 PM
I think they will announce naming rights for HTC and Easter Rd. I fully expect that Archie Paton is driving all the work on the new strategy.

hibsbollah
05-01-2020, 04:06 PM
Feel free to contribute everything you know about those subjects.

...and any humour you feel like you want to share:agree:

Keith_M
05-01-2020, 04:07 PM
I think they will announce naming rights for HTC and Easter Rd. I fully expect that Archie Paton is driving all the work on the new strategy.

Decent source of income, if so.

I personally wouldn't mind them changing the name of ER if it brought decent money in, as it would still be ER to me.

I hope they can get some shirt sponsorship sorted as well.

Vault Boy
05-01-2020, 04:07 PM

HTC would make complete sense, although I'm sure many of us wouldn't be pleased if the stadium changed its name.

bingo70
05-01-2020, 04:13 PM
HTC would make complete sense, although I'm sure many of us wouldn't be pleased if the stadium changed its name.

I think people would soon forget about the name change if it meant we could bring in a better quality of player and saw success on the park because of it.

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest what it’s called.

ancient hibee
05-01-2020, 04:28 PM
How realistic can those discussions be though? I have to concede though, you have come up with some good topics.

I am not sure who Archie Paton is, so would be keen to learn how he might use his contacts, as well.
I am definitely keen to hear how we could get into the Europa League, as I have seen this as the way Hibs have had to go for the last 25 years.
I do think debate on Ron Gordon would be a bit silly without any real statement from him, or somebody who actually has any idea about accounting or business to comment on his status. "He must be good because...." is about as much use to me as saying he can steer a submarine around the Baltic.

But, nobody actually mentioned those. Your thoughts on the first two would be welcome though. :aok:
It's fair to say that anyone willing to put the best part of £7million into buying a business 5000 miles away is unusual.Especially in an industry not renowned for anything other than providing grief and pain for owners.It seems he has been a clever business man in spotting a market for televised soccer to Spanish speakers thereby providing a marketing/advertising medium for businesses also wanting into that area.So he has his head screwed on and was able to progress and make a success of community banking.Like everyone else I haven't a scooby as what he wants to do but my guess is that it involves the European League development.

offshorehibby
05-01-2020, 04:28 PM

Naming the ground would not realy bother. To most it will always be Easter Road.

we are hibs
05-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Is archie paton based in edinburgh or does he come over the same time as the owner? (Is he even american?)

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 04:31 PM
It's fair to say that anyone willing to put the best part of £7million into buying a business 5000 miles away is unusual.Especially in an industry not renowned for anything other than providing grief and pain for owners.It seems he has been a clever business man in spotting a market for televised soccer to Spanish speakers thereby providing a marketing/advertising medium for businesses also wanting into that area.So he has his head screwed on and was able to progress and make a success of community banking.Like everyone else I haven't a scooby as what he wants to do but my guess is that it involves the European League development.

Thank you, I was aware he had spoken about TV rights when he arrived, but I wasn't really sure what that meant. I can see a scenario when we are playing Spanish or Portuguese teams, and that may be of interested to South Americans, and latinos in the USA.

offshorehibby
05-01-2020, 04:35 PM

I've always thought the European League development in a couple of seasons was a big factor in his purchase.

Brightside
05-01-2020, 04:47 PM
Is archie paton based in edinburgh or does he come over the same time as the owner? (Is he even american?)

He lives in St Andrews

GloryGlory
05-01-2020, 04:59 PM
Decent source of income, if so.

I personally wouldn't mind them changing the name of ER if it brought decent money in, as it would still be ER to me.

I hope they can get some shirt sponsorship sorted as well.

This. They can call ER what they like if it generates a few quid extra for the team, but you and me and thousands of others will still call it ER.

Vault Boy
05-01-2020, 04:59 PM
I think people would soon forget about the name change if it meant we could bring in a better quality of player and saw success on the park because of it.

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest what it’s called.

Naming the ground would not realy bother. To most it will always be Easter Road.

You're right that we would soon forget about it if it led to direct success on the park, no doubt. I just don't want Hibs to sell the naming rights for an amount that doesn't make a real impact.

Personally wouldn't want to hear our home referred to as the Global Energy Stadium or Tony Macaroni Arena for the sake of a couple hundred K.

That's despite Spagettihad being a work of genius.

Cataplana
05-01-2020, 05:01 PM
You're right that we would soon forget about it if it led to direct success on the park, no doubt. I just don't want Hibs to sell the naming rights for an amount that doesn't make a real impact.

Personally wouldn't want to hear our home referred to as the Global Energy Stadium or Tony Macaroni Arena for the sake of a couple hundred K.

That's despite Spagettihad being a work of genius.