PDA

View Full Version : Realistic January signings

munchar
03-01-2020, 12:08 PM
All about opinions, but I couldn’t care if players have left under a cloud. If they’re quality, & available, it’s a no brainier for me.

Efe, McGeouch, McNulty.
All PROVEN premier league players, & better than what we have. Should be looking at permanent deals for all 3.
If Griffiths is available on loan, another no brainer.
Although I could be greedy & want another 4/5 in, think they could be realistic, improve the squad, & strengthen again at end of season, when it’s easier to move other players on.

lyonhibs
03-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Again, I'll be aspirationally looking for our scouting network to be able to look beyond the end of their collective noses and "guys who used to play for us"

Ambrose and, in the highly unlikely event of Scotland's best striker being available on a loan, Griffiths would be exceptions though.

The Spaceman
03-01-2020, 12:17 PM
McNulty and Omeonga would be great signings.

I love Dylan, but I fear he would not be nearly as effective without John McGinn at his side.

munchar
03-01-2020, 12:18 PM

I love Dylan, but I fear he would not be nearly as effective without John McGinn at his side.

I think McGinn was better in the Hibs team when Dylan was alongside. Maybe he could have the same effect on Scotty?

TimeForHeroes16
03-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Kevin Nisbet from Dunfermline would be cracking similar ratio to Shankland before his move to United. 44 goals in 18 months and only 22

hibbyfraelibby
03-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Realistic signings in January will exclude any one with 18 months on their contract, any player regularly starting and scoring for a team in a liwer league who are fighting for promotion or to avoid relegation (ie all of them), anyone from outside Scotland on wages greater than the minimum wage...

500miles
03-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Dylan was good enough before McGinn came in. We have an athletic box to box player in Hallberg now too. Not saying hes as good, but fits the system.

Del Boy
03-01-2020, 03:08 PM
Dorrans from Dundee? Seems to be over his injury and played well in the last derby v United, scoring a great goal.

jacomo
03-01-2020, 03:22 PM
Efe, Dylan, Leigh.

That trio would make our squad a lot stronger imo.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Dorrans from Dundee? Seems to be over his injury and played well in the last derby v United, scoring a great goal.

Saw he was linked with someone down south, and McPake saying he’s far too good for the Championship.
He’s had a lot of injuries though!

munchar
03-01-2020, 03:23 PM
Efe, Dylan, Leigh.

Spine of the team. Perfect

offshorehibby
03-01-2020, 03:25 PM
I can't see the clamour for McNulty, had a fair start, fluffed a couple of sisters and pish poor after that. Also the good start he had included a couple of penalties.

hibbydog
03-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Efe, Dylan, Leigh.

I’d bite your hand off for any one of those. All 3 highly unlikely.

We need to move on some deadwood first.

Sayonara to Jackson, Vela and Whittaker first.

munchar
03-01-2020, 03:33 PM
I’d bite your hand off for any one of those. All 3 highly unlikely.

We need to move on some deadwood first.

Sayonara to Jackson, Vela and Whittaker first.

May have to wait until seasons end for Heckys signings to go. Wouldn’t mind Whittaker given a coaching role. Bags of big game experience. Can only be good for the young boys, which seemingly he’s very supportive off.

Alfred E Newman
03-01-2020, 03:42 PM
May have to wait until seasons end for Heckys signings to go. Wouldn’t mind Whittaker given a coaching role. Bags of big game experience. Can only be good for the young boys, which seemingly he’s very supportive off.

Do we have any that are good enough to break through?

jacomo
03-01-2020, 04:00 PM

We’ve got a load of players out on loan, as well as those with the first team squad. I’d like to see them given their chance.

munchar
03-01-2020, 04:01 PM

Shaw & Murray looked like they’ve lost their way a bit. Gullan & Mackie doing ok on loan, think they could do with advice on how to go from a promising youngster to playing in big European games, English premiership & Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 internationalist.

easty
03-01-2020, 04:14 PM
Shaw & Murray looked like they’ve lost their way a bit. Gullan & Mackie doing ok on loan, think they could do with advice on how to go from a promising youngster to playing in big European games, English premiership & Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 internationalist.

I’d be amazed if Mackie makes it at Hibs.

Topographic Hibby
03-01-2020, 04:28 PM
McNulty...fluffed a couple of sistersThat typo/auto-correct is screaming out for a witty response, but I'd probably incur a lengthy ban...!!! :greengrin

offshorehibby
03-01-2020, 05:21 PM
That typo/auto-correct is screaming out for a witty response, but I'd probably incur a lengthy ban...!!! :greengrin

Oops🤣😂

Brightside
03-01-2020, 05:23 PM
I love Dylan but his impact will be minimal without a workhorse like SJM next to him.

Ozyhibby
03-01-2020, 05:32 PM

We can’t just keep everyone. Already space will need to be made in the coaching structure for Gray and McGregor. Hanlon and Stevenson will be retiring soon as well. Do they get similar deals as the other two? I’m a bit confused as to what the long term plan is here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easty
03-01-2020, 05:35 PM
We can’t just keep everyone. Already space will need to be made in the coaching structure for Gray and McGregor. Hanlon and Stevenson will be retiring soon as well. Do they get similar deals as the other two? I’m a bit confused as to what the long term plan is here.

Paul Hanlon is 29

Hibby Bairn
03-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Kevin Nisbet from Dunfermline would be cracking similar ratio to Shankland before his move to United. 44 goals in 18 months and only 22

That is a very good shout. I’d love to see Hibs giving a guy like Nisbet a chance at Prem level. His scoring rate is excellent. Surely has significant potential.

Billy Whizz
03-01-2020, 05:51 PM
That is a very good shout. I’d love to see Hibs giving a guy like Nisbet a chance at Prem level. His scoring rate is excellent. Surely has significant potential.

I’m going to Dunfermline v Ayr tomorrow, will see what he’s like

Onion
03-01-2020, 06:51 PM
Efe, Dylan, Leigh.

Leigh alone would be a massive coup for Hibs. Add in a strong DM and we'd be pushing for 4th.

JimBHibees
03-01-2020, 07:04 PM
I can't see the clamour for McNulty, had a fair start, fluffed a couple of sisters and pish poor after that. Also the good start he had included a couple of penalties.

Was never piss poor at any time. Quality striker.

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2020, 07:21 PM
I love Dylan but his impact will be minimal without a workhorse like SJM next to him.

His impact was fantastic without McGinn in his first season. He would still be fantastic without McGinn.

OstKurve Hibs
03-01-2020, 07:22 PM
Callum butcher fae dundee utd

heretoday
03-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Get barts back...

Hibby Kay-Yay
03-01-2020, 07:37 PM
All about opinions, but I couldn’t care if players have left under a cloud. If they’re quality, & available, it’s a no brainier for me.

Efe, McGeouch, McNulty.
All PROVEN premier league players, & better than what we have. Should be looking at permanent deals for all 3.
Although I could be greedy & want another 4/5 in, think they could be realistic, improve the squad, & strengthen again at end of season, when it’s easier to move other players on.

A thread called ‘realistic January signings’ would not include those in bold above IMO.

Will be interesting to see who our recruitment team have in line for Ross to assess and whether Ross has any players in mind of his own.

crash
03-01-2020, 07:45 PM
His impact was fantastic without McGinn in his first season. He would still be fantastic without McGinn.

Mcgeoch is similar in style to Mallan, so you would have the same problem of lack of a ball winner in midfield if you played either alongside Scott Allan.

Eyrie
03-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Mcgeoch is similar in style to Mallan, so you would have the same problem of lack of a ball winner in midfield if you played either alongside Scott Allan.

This.

If McGeouch comes back, would he work in a midfield with Allan and Hallberg? I'd say we still need that defensive player..

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Why do it seem that folk are always desperate to go back and re sign players? It works sometimes but more often than not it doesn’t.

Hibby Bairn
03-01-2020, 07:52 PM
I think Naismith would make a good DM.

munchar
03-01-2020, 08:13 PM
A thread called ‘realistic January signings’ would not include those in bold above IMO.

Will be interesting to see who our recruitment team have in line for Ross to assess and whether Ross has any players in mind of his own.

Efe- free agent.
Dylan- Not in favour, final 6 months of contract.
McNulty- Only on loan, not getting game time, parent club don’t want him.
Griffiths- Probably the least realistic, but not getting much game time, Celtic might see him getting up to speed at us, & also maybe helping tame points of Rangers.

fishybeaver
03-01-2020, 08:20 PM
This.

If McGeouch comes back, would he work in a midfield with Allan and Hallberg? I'd say we still need that defensive player..

Wouldn't work in midfield but would certainly keep the physios extremely busy.

Smartie
03-01-2020, 08:26 PM

You might have the lack of a ball winner, but a midfield with McGeouch in it would lose the ball significantly less often than a midfield with Mallan in it.

That loss of possession is far less expensive in the "Scott Allan" position, but it is costly for us deeper. McGeouch would be an improvement - head, shoulders, night and day and then the rest - on Stevie Mallan in a deeper position.

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2020, 08:36 PM

Mcgeouch is only similar to Mallan in that they are both footballers. Otherwise they are totally different. Mcgeouch is so much better and his best role is totally different.

They done just fine in 2018 when him and Allan played together. And 2014/15. They would again.

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2020, 08:40 PM
Efe- free agent.
Dylan- Not in favour, final 6 months of contract.
McNulty- Only on loan, not getting game time, parent club don’t want him.
Griffiths- Probably the least realistic, but not getting much game time, Celtic might see him getting up to speed at us, & also maybe helping tame points of Rangers.

Efe not kicked a ball in over a year

McNulty wasn’t that great last time

Dylan, injury prone, hopefully we could get a decent run out of him

Griffiths, can’t see it ever happening

B.H.F.C
03-01-2020, 08:41 PM
This.

I think we need a footballer like McGeough rather than the big physical type. Most of the time at least. With the exception of the obvious games, we have the ball more often than not. We need someone deep who can get the ball moving forward quicker to the likes of Allan.

munchar
03-01-2020, 08:56 PM
Efe not kicked a ball in over a year

McNulty wasn’t that great last time

Dylan, injury prone, hopefully we could get a decent run out of him

Griffiths, can’t see it ever happening

Efe would still be our best defender.
McNulty was good when he was here. Wouldn’t have got in Scotland team if he wasn’t.
Dylan got over his injuries & had a great season with us, & also got in Scotland squad.
Griffiths is more hopeful a loan signing, but also a no brainier if available.

All in my opinion though.

crash
03-01-2020, 08:58 PM
Mcgeouch is only similar to Mallan in that they are both footballers. Otherwise they are totally different. Mcgeouch is so much better and his best role is totally different.

They done just fine in 2018 when him and Allan played together. And 2014/15. They would again.
You say that Mcgeoch is “so much better “. Mallan has scored 10 times as many goals and seven times as many assists as Mcgeoch. So would suggest that Mallan deserves a bit more respect than you are giving him.

Ozyhibby
03-01-2020, 09:02 PM
You say that Mcgeoch is “so much better “. Mallan has scored 10 times as many goals and seven times as many assists as Mcgeoch. So would suggest that Mallan deserves a bit more respect than you are giving him.

Comparing two different types of players. Mallan could be compared (unfavourably imo) with Allan maybe.
McGeogh is a DM but not a tough tackling stopper type, more a QB type. Although he is a decent ball winner as well his strength is taking the ball from defence and playing it forward.

Smartie
03-01-2020, 09:20 PM

Mark Oxley scored more goals for Hibs than Jim Leighton but I know which player I'd want between the sticks.

we are hibs
03-01-2020, 09:22 PM
Its an insult to mcgeouch for mallan to be mentioned in the same breath as him.

CMurdoch
03-01-2020, 09:33 PM

Efe, McGeouch, McNulty.

McNulty realistic on a permanent?
Lets think about that.

He still has 2.5 years left on his Reading contract at £10k a week.
That is £1.25 million.

Hibs would pay circa £3k a week which over 2.5 years is £375k

So you expect him to chuck almost a million quid in the water for the joy of playing for Hibs?

Reading might offer him say £375k to piss off but that still leaves McNulty half a million quid down.
No chance of a permanent.

Additionally if Sunderland are paying his wages for the season Reading will be keeping him there whether Sunderland want him now or not. So no loan to Hibs either.

CMurdoch
03-01-2020, 09:36 PM
Mark Oxley scored more goals for Hibs than Jim Leighton but I know which player I'd want between the sticks.

Are you sure?
Jim is really old now and Mark is still playing for Southend.

munchar
03-01-2020, 09:55 PM
Lets think about that.

That is £1.25 million.

So you expect him to chuck almost a million quid in the water for the joy of playing for Hibs?

Reading might offer him say £375k to piss off but that still leaves McNulty half a million quid down.

Additionally if Sunderland are paying his wages for the season Reading will be keeping him there whether Sunderland want him now or not. So no loan to Hibs either.

If loan move doesn’t work out for both parties, it will be cut short. Reading don’t want him. I’m sure they will subsidise his wages to get him out the club. Didn’t the same thing happen with Derek Riorden coming back to Hibs. Obviously McNulty will have to take some sort of financial hit, but nobody else will pay him that kind of money, and can’t see him being happy to sit tight for 2 1/2 years. Contracts can be made up of loyalty bonuses & yearly singing on fees etc.

CMurdoch
03-01-2020, 10:22 PM
If loan move doesn’t work out for both parties, it will be cut short. Reading don’t want him. I’m sure they will subsidise his wages to get him out the club. Didn’t the same thing happen with Derek Riorden coming back to Hibs. Obviously McNulty will have to take some sort of financial hit, but nobody else will pay him that kind of money, and can’t see him being happy to sit tight for 2 1/2 years. Contracts can be made up of loyalty bonuses & yearly singing on fees etc.

All depends on the terms of the loan contract.
Sunderland might be able to end it early but there will be penalty clauses to encourage them not to.
Reading will keep loaning McNulty out to the club willing to pay the biggest part of his wages until such time as they can either sell him or his contract ends. McNulty will never get a contract like this again in his life so will sit tight.

munchar
03-01-2020, 10:36 PM
All depends on the terms of the loan contract.
Sunderland might be able to end it early but there will be penalty clauses to encourage them not to.
Reading will keep loaning McNulty out to the club willing to pay the biggest part of his wages until such time as they can either sell him or his contract ends. McNulty will never get a contract like this again in his life so will sit tight.

Yip, agreed. Unless player & both clubs can work together, we wouldn’t be able to sign him permanently. If he’s that far out the picture though, it makes sense for all parties to work something out. Doesn’t do his club or his career any good floating about on loan long term.

CapitalGreen
03-01-2020, 10:45 PM

How many Scottish Cups has Mallan won compared to McGeouch?

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2020, 11:08 PM

Mcgeouch is absolutely miles better.

Mallan scores more goals than Xavi and Iniesta ever did. That doesn't matter either.

Mallan has a decent shot and a decent corner on him. He has decent long range passing. Dylan does everything else better. Much better.

Goals from midfield are great but they start to matter less when you give the ball away often, don't track runners, don't tackle, don't consistently play well etc. I'd rather have a top quality midfielder who controls the game rather than a decent one who scores the odd screamer.

theonlywayisup
03-01-2020, 11:30 PM
I'm confused.com.

Thought this was the Winter Transfer Thread https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?342887-Winter-2019-20-transfer-thread/page22

04Sauzee
03-01-2020, 11:31 PM
I'm confused.com.

Thought this was the Winter Transfer Thread https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?342887-Winter-2019-20-transfer-thread/page22

This is the splinter group

ekhibee
03-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Mcgeouch is absolutely miles better.

Mallan scores more goals than Xavi and Iniesta ever did. That doesn't matter either.

Mallan has a decent shot and a decent corner on him. He has decent long range passing. Dylan does everything else better. Much better.

Goals from midfield are great but they start to matter less when you give the ball away often, don't track runners, don't tackle, don't consistently play well etc. I'd rather have a top quality midfielder who controls the game rather than a decent one who scores the odd screamer.

"Goals from midfield are great but they start to matter less when you give the ball away often"

Goals from anywhere matter, what a daft thing to say.

stoneyburn hibs
03-01-2020, 11:35 PM
I think Naismith would make a good DM.

Thanks
I've always wanted to say "wait what"

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 01:18 AM
I can't see the clamour for McNulty, had a fair start, fluffed a couple of sisters

I wish I'd seen that.

Captain Trips
04-01-2020, 01:22 AM
I wish I'd seen that.

Matron

Yellowcard
05-01-2020, 07:35 AM
No it implies the are very different players. Dylan is a far far better player than mallan.

Heisenberg
05-01-2020, 07:37 AM
No it implies the are very different players. Dylan is a far far better player than mallan.

Exactly, they are different players, which is why trying to compare them is ridiculous. Ask Mallan to be a deep lying midfielder who breaks up the play and keeps the ball moving and he’ll fail. Ask Dylan to be a forward thinking attacking midfielder who scores/assists goals and he’ll fail.

Yellowcard
05-01-2020, 07:48 AM
The only comparison should be how good they would be for the team, Dylan wins the ball, his passing is fantastic, we have a player in Allan who is creative, so if we are comparing like for lime Allan is also way way better than mallan. In essence I think mallan is muck, flatters to deceive, lazy, floats in and out of games as he pleases. Not even a luxury player, people enjoy luxuries

Greenworld
05-01-2020, 11:40 AM
I can't see the clamour for McNulty, had a fair start, fluffed a couple of sisters and pish poor after that. Also the good start he had included a couple of penalties.I'm with you on that summary

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
05-01-2020, 12:23 PM
"Goals from midfield are great but they start to matter less when you give the ball away often"

Goals from anywhere matter, what a daft thing to say.

How is that a daft thing to say? you know fine well what I mean. Would you prefer a brilliant player like McGinn, smashing through games, winning the ball, driving us on, playing brilliant passes but only scoring 5 goals or Mallan scoring 15?

Being a better all round footballer is much more important than getting 4 goals against part time Faroe players.

H18 SFR
05-01-2020, 12:45 PM
I'm with you on that summary

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

McNulty with Allan supplying the fodder?

cmcd
05-01-2020, 01:06 PM
Why why why must there always be a scapegoat. Tortolano .Hamilton .Craig Hanlon Stevenson and now Mallan all get it tight on here and elsewhere. Why cant we just sit back and hopefully enjoy the team the manager chooses. All the above mentioned were chosen regularly by several managers for a reason

Since452
06-01-2020, 03:03 PM
Said it on the transfer thread but I'd love us to go for Graham Dorrans. Only on a short term deal at Dundee and been by far their best player. Ball winning central midfielder with a bit of class

Brummie_Hibs
06-01-2020, 03:22 PM
Lets think about that.

That is £1.25 million.

I believe his family have bought a house in the Edinburgh area, with one of his children at school starting age.

I think a move to Hibs would suit Marc quite well and would be open to negotiations.

Captain Trips
06-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Play Boyle up top in a 2 then we have the extra forward I think we needed. Yes creates a space in midfield but I like look of boyle up there I think he could do a real job.