PDA

View Full Version : Auto v manual

c31
03-01-2020, 12:39 AM
About to change my car to automatic, basically panicking as I’ve had a manual car forever. Any horror stories or is it easy to make the change?

Mibbes Aye
03-01-2020, 01:15 AM
About to change my car to automatic, basically panicking as I’ve had a manual car forever. Any horror stories or is it easy to make the change?

Switched six months ago to an auto, having always driven manual (apart from the odd holiday rental).

It is fine, takes a bit of getting used to, especially the left foot and the left hand being essentially inactive.

I would watch out if it offers the option to go into manual from ‘Drive’, have done that a couple of times when my brain wasn’t fully engaged and wondered why I was revving at seven but going at twenty :greengrin

If I had any concerns it would be about going back to manual - my partner has a manual and I’ve not driven it since I got my new car. I fear for her clutch when I get in and have to go back to clutch control.

Only other thing is set-offs. Once you are in ‘Drive’ you start moving forward regardless, so you need to work out your relationship with ‘Neutral’, the handbrake and the brake pedal :greengrin

Easy drives though.

Alfiembra
03-01-2020, 06:01 AM

You will be fine, agree it will feel a bit odd to begin with but you’ll get used to it very quickly. My sister in law recently drove an automatic for the first time and made the mistake of trying to use her left foot and hit the brake thinking it’s the clutch. I told her to tuck her left foot and leg back out the way and only use her right foot. She’s been fine ever since and loves driving an auto now.

bigwheel
03-01-2020, 06:27 AM

Other than wondering what to do with your left foot for the first few drives, you’ll find it a breeze...

Have gone auto for last 4 cars..can’t see me ever going back to manual. More relaxing ...

Hibrandenburg
03-01-2020, 06:57 AM
I used to drive an automatic ambulance at work and I hated it. I'm guessing technology has moved on since then but it used to take a moment between gears and always seemed to be a second or too behind what I actually wanted it to do.

What I hated most though was getting into my manual car after a shift and stalling it because I'd become used to the automatic. :greengrin

calumhibee1
03-01-2020, 08:07 AM
Drove them on holiday and their excellent. Got a manual at home and have no intention of buying a new car but if I did I’d be looking into an auto.

McD
03-01-2020, 08:15 AM
Switched six months ago to an auto, having always driven manual (apart from the odd holiday rental).

It is fine, takes a bit of getting used to, especially the left foot and the left hand being essentially inactive.

I would watch out if it offers the option to go into manual from ‘Drive’, have done that a couple of times when my brain wasn’t fully engaged and wondered why I was revving at seven but going at twenty :greengrin

If I had any concerns it would be about going back to manual - my partner has a manual and I’ve not driven it since I got my new car. I fear for her clutch when I get in and have to go back to clutch control.

Only other thing is set-offs. Once you are in ‘Drive’ you start moving forward regardless, so you need to work out your relationship with ‘Neutral’, the handbrake and the brake pedal :greengrin

Easy drives though.

my wife is only able to drive automatics due to a disability, so since becoming a couple any car we’ve bought bar one has been an automatic, purely for ease of organisation between using them.

I've driven several manual cars in that time (about 11 years), and honestly it’s like riding a bike, you remember what to do instinctively (the odd stall coming to a halt at lights may occur :greengrin)

driving an automatic is actually much more relaxing than a manual in many ways. No way to stall, no need to get a sore left leg in heavy traffic, safer moving off in snow/icy conditions as the cars have a crawl function which the car automatically adjusts to the conditions. Many automatics are actually semi-automatic, and have a manual sequential gearbox, so if you fancy changing gears yourself you can.

H18 SFR
03-01-2020, 08:25 AM
The Seat/Audi/VW/Skoda DSG boxes are exceptional.

Jones28
03-01-2020, 08:50 AM
If you tuck your left foot under for the first few drives you’ll get used to it no problem, my boss has an automatic X5 and they’re so nice to drive.

c31
03-01-2020, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your helpful replies - seems it won’t be as daunting as I imagine.

Bangkok Hibby
03-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Automatic every time for me. Hiring or buying. I would say most people who had reservations about automatics quickly changed their minds and many say they'd never go back to manual.

calumhibee1
03-01-2020, 10:50 AM
Automatic every time for me. Hiring or buying. I would say most people who had reservations about automatics quickly changed their minds and many say they'd never go back to manual.

Other than possibly being a more pure driving experience, manuals don’t really seem to make a lot of sense any more.

JeMeSouviens
03-01-2020, 11:32 AM
Other than possibly being a more pure driving experience, manuals don’t really seem to make a lot of sense any more.

If electric cars have the impact the industry expects in the next few years, we won't have gearboxes, let alone manual ones.

pollution
03-01-2020, 11:39 AM
I hired an auto on holiday this year: a cracking BMW 3, or so I thought.

A bargain rate so I went for it. Big mistake. I like to feel my driving and the response of the car I am driving, a typical Italian.

It drove beautifully from the airport on the motorway but when I reached the toll booth I forgot there was no clutch and used my left foot as a clutch.

I could't understand what was going on as I pressed the accelerator at the same time as releasing the ' clutch '.

Back and forth crossing and blocking other lanes until I leaped forward side on to a lorry: luckily the auto brake stopped the car.

It was an electronic auto gear stick with Spanish wording to be fair, so ignore that.

Anyway, an automatic is for me joyless. But good luck if you are happy to leave the driving to your car.

sleeping giant
03-01-2020, 02:12 PM
I dont mind automatics but if you also have cruise control and lane sensors, it hardly feels like driving at all .

Billy Whizz
03-01-2020, 02:40 PM
I got my 1st automatic 2 years ago and love it. Will never go back to a manual against
Automatics are great when in traffic

Bangkok Hibby
03-01-2020, 02:42 PM
A word to the wise for new automatic drivers and those who don't give a toss about others. If you're at traffic lights at night take your foot of the brake and stick it in park to save blinding the person behind 🙏🏻😄

Alfiembra
03-01-2020, 03:01 PM
A word to the wise for new automatic drivers and those who don't give a toss about others. If you're at traffic lights at night take your foot of the brake and stick it in park to save blinding the person behind 🙏🏻😄

If you have an electronic handbrake can’t do anything about the brake lights. But do agree with you, does become annoying if you’re stuck behind a car with brake lights on for a while.

Bangkok Hibby
03-01-2020, 03:21 PM
If you have an electronic handbrake can’t do anything about the brake lights. But do agree with you, does become annoying if you’re stuck behind a car with brake lights on for a while.

Yes I wouldnt use the handbrake though. Just out of drive and into park is enough. Or maybe now modernised beyond my experience?

Hibbyradge
03-01-2020, 03:24 PM
Yes I wouldnt use the handbrake though. Just out of drive and into park is enough. Or maybe now modernised beyond my experience?

You're correct. I've got an auto BMW 435d and I use park at the lights.

In fact, I can't remember the last time I used the handbrake at all!

lord bunberry
03-01-2020, 04:33 PM
Driving an automatic takes the enjoyment out of driving for me. I know others will disagree, but you can’t beat a manual gear box.

RyeSloan
03-01-2020, 05:47 PM
Not sure about all this ‘takes the enjoyment out of driving stuff’! How often do you ever drive to ‘enjoy it’? Normally it’s trips to the shops, or taking the ifs somewhere etc etc...rarely are you out on the back roads having a blast for fun! And anyway a good auto is plenty of fun to drive anyway and you you can always use the semi auto mode if you really must still change gears yourself Lewis Hamilton stylee.

Autos are the biz and honestly I can’t for the life of me understand anyone who would prefer a manual unless it was on a fast car that they took for a spin at weekends. For day to day driving autos win hands down.

As for using park at the lights....hmm not to sure about that. I tend to pop it into neutral and put the handbrake on. When the time nears to move off it’s foot on the brake, move into drive and then the handbrake releases as soon as I touch the accelerator.

I suppose I’ve always thought of park for use when parked, not just stopped...

patch1875
03-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Auto all the way for me, I’ve got a Golf GTi dsg it also has the flappy paddles but think I’ve used them for a couple of minutes each time.

It’s also got the auto handbrake but I leave it in drive can’t say it’s bothered me other cars have the brakes on.

H18 SFR
03-01-2020, 06:07 PM
Auto all the way for me, I’ve got a Golf GTi dsg it also has the flappy paddles but think I’ve used them for a couple of minutes each time.

It’s also got the auto handbrake but I leave it in drive can’t say it’s bothered me other cars have the brakes on.

What year is your Golf? Is it the VAG dry or wet DSG?

Jones28
03-01-2020, 06:09 PM
I hired an auto on holiday this year: a cracking BMW 3, or so I thought.

A bargain rate so I went for it. Big mistake. I like to feel my driving and the response of the car I am driving, a typical Italian.

It drove beautifully from the airport on the motorway but when I reached the toll booth I forgot there was no clutch and used my left foot as a clutch.

I could't understand what was going on as I pressed the accelerator at the same time as releasing the ' clutch '.

Back and forth crossing and blocking other lanes until I leaped forward side on to a lorry: luckily the auto brake stopped the car.

It was an electronic auto gear stick with Spanish wording to be fair, so ignore that.

Anyway, an automatic is for me joyless. But good luck if you are happy to leave the driving to your car.

You being a spanner is hardly the fault of automatic cars though is it? 😂

I agree on the joyless aspect though, I want to drive a car, not a go-kart.

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2020, 06:21 PM
Not fussed either way but have driven two identical cars at work both the same year and roughly the same mileage, one being manual, the other auto. Using them both going the same places over a few weeks it was very noticeable that the auto consumed more fuel. Maybe not always the case but certainly with these two cars.

Mibbes Aye
03-01-2020, 06:26 PM
Not sure about all this ‘takes the enjoyment out of driving stuff’! How often do you ever drive to ‘enjoy it’? Normally it’s trips to the shops, or taking the ifs somewhere etc etc...rarely are you out on the back roads having a blast for fun! And anyway a good auto is plenty of fun to drive anyway and you you can always use the semi auto mode if you really must still change gears yourself Lewis Hamilton stylee.

Autos are the biz and honestly I can’t for the life of me understand anyone who would prefer a manual unless it was on a fast car that they took for a spin at weekends. For day to day driving autos win hands down.

As for using park at the lights....hmm not to sure about that. I tend to pop it into neutral and put the handbrake on. When the time nears to move off it’s foot on the brake, move into drive and then the handbrake releases as soon as I touch the accelerator.

I was going to ask about this as I do the same at lights etc, pop it in neutral and unless it is on a gradient I don’t even need the handbrake. Is there a particular approach that is better for the car, the brakes etc?

patch1875
03-01-2020, 07:32 PM
What year is your Golf? Is it the VAG dry or wet DSG?

It’s a 2015 so it’s the wet one, I also have a 2017 Octavia which has the dry.

pollution
03-01-2020, 07:32 PM
You being a spanner is hardly the fault of automatic cars though is it? 😂

I agree on the joyless aspect though, I want to drive a car, not a go-kart.

I am mentally scarred by that toll point affair! I wake up in a cold sweat.

The attendant even called for back up, my wife telling me to calm down!

speedy_gonzales
03-01-2020, 08:24 PM
Is it the VAG dry or wet DSG?
Oooft, yer no wantin' yer VAG dry!

H18 SFR
03-01-2020, 09:16 PM
It’s a 2015 so it’s the wet one, I also have a 2017 Octavia which has the dry.

Absolutely love the dry DSG, like you I've had both. I've got a remapped Cupra and the box handles it superbly.

H18 SFR
03-01-2020, 09:17 PM
Oooft, yer no wantin' yer VAG dry!

😂😂🇳🇬🇳🇬

Hibbyradge
03-01-2020, 10:29 PM

Auto is great for fast cars too. My 435 is like shet of a shovel and seamless from 10mph to, well, as fast as you want.

I've also got a Mazda MX-5. It's nowhere near as fast as the BMW, but it needs to be manual so you can take it to the red line before changing gear for maximum fun.

If I lived in Edinburgh and had to drive in all that stop start traffic I'd definitely recommend auto.

RyeSloan
03-01-2020, 11:22 PM
Auto is great for fast cars too. My 435 is like shet of a shovel and seamless from 10mph to, well, as fast as you want.

Oh absolutely, that’s why I’m not fully bought into the you need a manual to enjoy driving chat.

But as you say if you have a high revving sporty wee number for the weekends then you’d want that to be a manual but apart from that it’s auto all the way for me.

BroxburnHibee
04-01-2020, 12:32 AM
I used to drive a manual taxi and would finish shifts with my left knee killing me.

Now I drive an auto Merc taxi and it's such a pleasure to drive.

bigwheel
04-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Driving an automatic takes the enjoyment out of driving for me. I know others will disagree, but you can’t beat a manual gear box.

Almost all automatic cars have the ability to switch to manual gear selection.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
04-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Almost all automatic cars have the ability to switch to manual gear selection.....

It’s not the same though. A gear stick is like an extension of your arm when driving, taking that away spoils it for me. I seem to be in the minority on this thread, but that’s just my preference when driving. I still enjoy driving even in town and taking away the gear stick and clutch pedal diminishes my enjoyment.

Scouse Hibee
04-01-2020, 01:59 PM
It’s not the same though. A gear stick is like an extension of your arm when driving, taking that away spoils it for me. I seem to be in the minority on this thread, but that’s just my preference when driving. I still enjoy driving even in town and taking away the gear stick and clutch pedal diminishes my enjoyment.

I get it, but not really in town where you are nearly always stop start in traffic. Take my regular route on A702 to M74 I like to have a manual on that run without a doubt.

Back in the 80’s when I fitted snooker tables one of our long wheelbase Ford transits was an automatic, a bloody nightmare with a full size table on board including slates 😁

Dan Sarf
04-01-2020, 02:31 PM

I agree with you. Driving a car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 04:12 PM
I agree with you. Driving a car is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

I'm not accepting a lift from you, ever!

And if I was a woman, I doubt I'd be hooking up with you for any horizontal jogging. :faf:

pollution
04-01-2020, 04:27 PM

I still miss double declutching!

green&left
04-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Got a DSG gearbox on my VW. Anyone know of any garages that can programme the cars computer to default to have the stop-start function disabled? Good feature on a manual but pain in the arse on an auto.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 08:12 PM
Got a DSG gearbox on my VW. Anyone know of any garages that can programme the cars computer to default to have the stop-start function disabled? Good feature on a manual but pain in the arse on an auto.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

What's the difference?

I've got it on both and it works perfectly.

H18 SFR
04-01-2020, 08:26 PM
What's the difference?

Agree, seems a better function for me on my DSG rather than our manual with the same EA888 engine.

That aside, it can be done via the Carista app/port.

green&left
04-01-2020, 09:07 PM
What's the difference?

Maybe got the name wrong but meaning when it switches the engine off when you break, not the auto hold feature.

On a manual it only turns the engine off when it's handbrake and neutral. On the automatic approach a busy roundabout or junction and brake and the engine switches off. That split second off waiting for the engine to power back on can make a big difference, especially at rush hour etc

H18 SFR
04-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Maybe got the name wrong but meaning when it switches the engine off when you break, not the auto hold feature.

On a manual it only turns the engine off when it's handbrake and neutral. On the automatic approach a busy roundabout or junction and brake and the engine switches off. That split second off waiting for the engine to power back on can make a big difference, especially at rush hour etc

I'd get that checked out mate. Depending on spec, there is an external sensor to pick up the vehicle in front moving off that should start the engine. More importantly, you should be stationary for a couple of seconds before it kicks in. With the auto break on you should be able to gently touch the accelerator to make sure the engine is on without moving the car.

RyeSloan
04-01-2020, 10:23 PM

Yeah I found the same as with a manual you can stop it happening by keeping the clutch down.

On the autos it just does it every time you stop and can be quite annoying. Most cars have the ability to turn it off though through settings or a switch on the dash.

Scouse Hibee
05-01-2020, 08:01 AM

Surely there is a button/switch to turn it off? There is on my works auto car.

green&left
05-01-2020, 09:23 AM

There is aye - but getting in and out the car several times a day i'd rather just pay to get it deactivated. Especially seeing as i'm planning on having the car for 5 more years yet.

green&left
05-01-2020, 09:25 AM
I'd get that checked out mate. Depending on spec, there is an external sensor to pick up the vehicle in front moving off that should start the engine. More importantly, you should be stationary for a couple of seconds before it kicks in. With the auto break on you should be able to gently touch the accelerator to make sure the engine is on without moving the car.

I'll check it out. I have a Passat and missus a Golf GT. I find it the same on hers. Perhaps its me coming from manual transmission to automatic. I'll give it another go.

It does have the radar thing on the front. Had some fanny jump on the road infront of me and the car broke itself. Great feature.

Hibbyradge
05-01-2020, 02:05 PM
When I stop at the lights or roundabout, if I'm just expecting to be there for more than a few seconds, I'll sit with my foot on the brake.

The engine will stop, but as soon as I release the brake, it starts again and I move off. In fact, if I release the brake and the engine starts, but I decide not to move off, I can put my foot on the brake and the engine stays on.

Bangkok Hibby
05-01-2020, 02:18 PM

Indeed Swiss Toni 😂😂😂

JeMeSouviens
06-01-2020, 09:22 AM
There is aye - but getting in and out the car several times a day i'd rather just pay to get it deactivated. Especially seeing as i'm planning on having the car for 5 more years yet.

Could try this ...

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/20951-disable-start-stopwithout-recoding/

JeMeSouviens
06-01-2020, 09:29 AM
I'll check it out. I have a Passat and missus a Golf GT. I find it the same on hers. Perhaps its me coming from manual transmission to automatic. I'll give it another go.

It does have the radar thing on the front. Had some fanny jump on the road infront of me and the car broke itself. Great feature.

The best thing about this is the adaptive cruise control. Gives my dodgy right knee a rest on long journeys. It's great on average speed camera roads as well, like the A9. Just set it at 65 and cruise.

The "joy of motoring" contingent will not agree. :wink:

H18 SFR
06-01-2020, 04:04 PM
The best thing about this is the adaptive cruise control. Gives my dodgy right knee a rest on long journeys. It's great on average speed camera roads as well, like the A9. Just set it at 65 and cruise.

Every game is an away game for me as we live in ayrshire, the ACC is amazing. Helps return good mpg in a guzzler as well.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2020, 04:31 PM

I've only got cruise with brake function, but I used adaptive in Australia last year and I was impressed so I'll try to get it on my next car.

I can always cancel it if I'm ever in a "JoM" mood and have a desperate need to use the brake. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
06-01-2020, 05:00 PM

On mine too

MrRobot
07-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Always preferred manuals but id be happy to give that up to get a Tesla :agree: