PDA

View Full Version : NHC FA Cup kick-off times

SJNB Hibby
02-01-2020, 03:37 PM
Looking at the Beeb sight for fixtures on the weekend, and all KO's are 12.31, or 15.01----anybody know whats with the 1 minute late kickopff at every game?

3pm
02-01-2020, 03:41 PM
Mental health awareness I believe.

MWHIBBIES
02-01-2020, 03:42 PM
Mental health awareness campaign I believe.

Mibbes Aye
02-01-2020, 03:42 PM
Looking at the Beeb sight for fixtures on the weekend, and all KO's are 12.31, or 15.01----anybody know whats with the 1 minute late kickopff at every game?

It is an FA campaign called ‘Take A Minute’. The aim is for fans to spend a minute thinking about their own mental health.

Mibbes Aye
02-01-2020, 03:44 PM
Actually I was wrong. Every seven to eight hundred years the rotation of the Earth means our calendar gets out of sync. It is a wee bit like leap years. In this case the FA are starting a minute late to even things up.

SJNB Hibby
02-01-2020, 03:45 PM
It is an FA campaign called ‘Take A Minute’. The aim is for fans to spend a minute thinking about their own mental health.

OK thanks all

Keith_M
03-01-2020, 01:56 PM
Do these initiatives genuinely do people any good?

The cynic in me suspects it's yet another PR stunt.

Hibbyradge
03-01-2020, 01:59 PM
Do these initiatives genuinely do people any good?

The cynic in me suspects it's yet another PR stunt.

An awareness campaign is a PR stunt. That's the whole point.

Keith_M
03-01-2020, 07:00 PM
An awareness campaign is a PR stunt. That's the whole point.

I think there's a difference in getting a useful message out there and people doing things just to look good, i.e. PR.

Sir David Gray
03-01-2020, 07:03 PM
Read about this last night, I don't see the point to be honest.

Peevemor
03-01-2020, 07:27 PM
If it gets people's attention (eg. this thread) then it's working.

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2020, 08:18 PM
If it gets people's attention (eg. this thread) then it's working.

Not really, now that I have read this thread and found out why they are kicking off late then that’s it for me, it won’t lead me to anything else.

Cabbage East
03-01-2020, 08:25 PM
Not really, now that I have read this thread and found out why they are kicking off late then that’s it for me, it won’t lead me to anything else.

Are you aware that you aren’t everyone?

Scouse Hibee
03-01-2020, 08:35 PM
Are you aware that you aren’t everyone?

Are you aware that I used the term “me” twice in my post?

Pretty Boy
03-01-2020, 09:55 PM
I often find these things a bit difficult to reconcile in my own head. You will likely have a lot of people on social media using hashtags like #itsoknottobeok and #itsgoodtotalk. Then you read about David Cox of Cowdenbeath and what he has gone through after opening up about his battle with mental illness and you consider how that must be replicated throughout football and beyond. Are the people #raisingawareness and those dishing out abuse mutually exclusive?

In some ways I find it all a bit trite. The I remember some people do still need their awareness raised and some of the information put out there might be seen or heard by someone who needs it. That's why it's a good idea. It only has to help one person to be worthwhile because it inconveniences no one.

Hibbyradge
03-01-2020, 11:06 PM
I often find these things a bit difficult to reconcile in my own head. You will likely have a lot of people on social media using hashtags like #itsoknottobeok and #itsgoodtotalk. Then you read about David Cox of Cowdenbeath and what he has gone through after opening up about his battle with mental illness and you consider how that must be replicated throughout football and beyond. Are the people #raisingawareness and those dishing out abuse mutually exclusive?

In some ways I find it all a bit trite. The I remember some people do still need their awareness raised and some of the information put out there might be seen or heard by someone who needs it. That's why it's a good idea. It only has to help one person to be worthwhile because it inconveniences no one.

I agree with your conclusion. I think it's more about defeating the stigma than directly helping anyone in the short term.

The mere fact that the words "mental health" are on the lips of supporters makes it an easier subject to discuss outside football.

I haven't explained that very well, and I'm too knackered to work out a better wording, so I hope you understand my point. 😁