PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Game of the Decade

Sammy7nil
30-12-2019, 10:03 PM
Ignoring the two obvious one's

Malmo is right up there as the worst.

Brondby or Asteras away for best?

Natural order derby or perhaps a gubbing of the Rangers what do you think?

Eyrie
30-12-2019, 10:08 PM
If I'm not allowed the two obvious ones, then best has to be the 4-0 horsing of Sevco and worst the play off second leg against Hamilton.

Although for sheer entertainment value the 5-5 draw with Sevco takes some beating :greengrin

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 10:10 PM
If I'm not allowed the two obvious ones, then best has to be the 4-0 horsing of Sevco and worst the play off second leg against Hamilton.

Although for sheer entertainment value the 5-5 draw with Sevco takes some beating :greengrin

They’d be my two. What a performance in the 4-0 game and the 5-5 game was just utterly mental. At 3-0 I genuinely thought we were going to beat Rangers 6-0 and overtake them for third and if we’d got the 4th with the one that got cleared off the line I wouldn’t have been surprised if we had went on to get 7 or 8.

Sammy7nil
30-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Ha ha I had blanked the Hamilton game from my memory that was a shocker :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
30-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Beating Newco 4-0. Should have been more though.

Losing 3-2 at Falkirk in the play off was dire. The darkest hour before the dawn as it turned out.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Falkirk playoff loss really hurt. Keatings screamer to beat them and all but promote us was fantastic.

Fuzzywuzzy
30-12-2019, 10:19 PM
The Hamilton game. My heart sank. The 5-5 as well. That was just an extraordinary game of football.

Thing is, I never really felt that bothered by the 1-5 thing. It happened but life went on. The whole thing about them thinking about how much hurt we feel, it's just ****ing weird. I never felt hurt, I just kind of accepted it.

Bronson
30-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Barring the obvious choices, of my least favourite games following hibs was the play off semi final defeat to falkirk when bob mchugh scored last minute. The inevitability of it just left me totally deflated, it’s down there with the hamilton play off and 2012 cup final for me.

Loved the 4-3 comeback v falkirk in the scottish cup semi, absolute scenes at doyle’s equaliser. Take your pick from the countless sare backsides we dished out to rangers last few years, 3-0 up at HT at ibrox was a beauty considering no one gave us a prayer before kick off

Sammy7nil
30-12-2019, 10:23 PM
The Hamilton game. My heart sank. The 5-5 as well. That was just an extraordinary game of football.

Thing is, I never really felt that bothered by the 1-5 thing. It happened but life went on. The whole thing about them thinking about how much hurt we feel, it's just ****ing weird. I never felt hurt, I just kind of accepted it.

I know what you mean I was the same, however our cup win truly made that defeat irrelevant.

The 90+2
30-12-2019, 10:53 PM
The game that always sticks out for me is Killie in the cup quarters.

Worst would be losing to Killie before we went down. I think that fat bast Boyd scores and you could just tell we where done for.

Stuart93
30-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Barring the obvious choices, of my least favourite games following hibs was the play off semi final defeat to falkirk when bob mchugh scored last minute. The inevitability of it just left me totally deflated, it’s down there with the hamilton play off and 2012 cup final for me.

Loved the 4-3 comeback v falkirk in the scottish cup semi, absolute scenes at doyle’s equaliser. Take your pick from the countless sare backsides we dished out to rangers last few years, 3-0 up at HT at ibrox was a beauty considering no one gave us a prayer before kick off

Had forgotten about the 4-3 Falkirk game at hampden. Gary Holt was in charge of them then.

A certain Alex Trager convinced me to stay after half time as he predicted we’d come back. He also used to predict we’d win the scottish cup every year, thankfully came true eventually.

douglashibs
31-12-2019, 12:03 AM
The Falkirk 4-3 game perhaps counts as the best AND worst.

Sir David Gray
31-12-2019, 12:18 AM
Falkirk 4-3 cup win would be up there as one of the best however the 4-0 v Sevco tops the lot apart from the obvious one. That goes down as one of my favourite ever games at Easter Road.

The worst one must be the second leg v Hamilton although the play off defeat at the Falkirk Stadium is very close.

LaMotta
31-12-2019, 12:42 AM
The two cup wins against Hearts at Easter Road when we were in the championship were the best for me. Find it hard to split them. Sunshine on Leith after the first one was a momentus occasion, but we blew them away the year after with the performance.

The Scottish Cup semi final loss to Falkirk in 2015 was the most dissapointed after a game I think, made worse when ICT beat Celtic the following day. Thought we'd blown our best chance ever to win the ****in thing.

Waxy
31-12-2019, 06:50 AM
The 1-0 cup replay win against the jambos just for the hugely emotional sunshine on Leith.
Worst one was that game against Hamilton though we probably wouldnt have won the cup if we stayed up.

Gloucester Hibs
31-12-2019, 07:07 AM
Of games that I was physically at, not including the obvious...

Best - Celtic 1 Hibs 2 (2010)
Worst - Playoff 2nd leg v The Huns (2015). For some reason to me this felt worse than our relegation the year before? Think it was the realisation that we’d be stuck in the championship for at least another year whilst Hearts and (or so it appeared) Sevco gained promotion. A real dull yin.

NAE NOOKIE
31-12-2019, 05:35 PM
BEST ........ absolutely obvious ... best weekend of my life, never mind best game of the decade :greengrin

WORST .... So many contenders, 'that game' obviously, the day Hamilton relegated us and Malmo. But funnily enough none of them are my winner, that has to be a 3 - 1 defeat at home to St Johnstone earlier in the decade, it was a midweek game and Hibs were absolutely terrible, it was bloody freezing as well, its the one and only time I've ever left Easter Road and seriously asked myself if the time and effort physically and emotionally was actually worth it.

Superfurry72
31-12-2019, 05:44 PM
Of games that I was physically at, not including the obvious...

Best - Celtic 1 Hibs 2 (2010)
Worst - Playoff 2nd leg v The Huns (2015). For some reason to me this felt worse than our relegation the year before? Think it was the realisation that we’d be stuck in the championship for at least another year whilst Hearts and (or so it appeared) Sevco gained promotion. A real dull yin.

Sevco didn’t go up until the following year. They lost to Motherwell - heavily - in the 2015 play-off final.

Jones28
31-12-2019, 05:52 PM
For pure entertainment the 5-5 game will never be forgotten.

My personal worst was the final against Ross County, I was so convinced we would win that day and it would be incredible celebrations. I got absolutely steaming and after the game we were leaving, most Hibs fans seemed at worst nonplussed, I was fuming.

Hampden Tannoy “...presenting the winners of the 2016 league cup, ROSS COUNTY”

Jones28 outside the stadium but still within earshot “****OFF YA TEUCHTER *******S!”

Kids everywhere, absolutely cringeworthy from myself in hindsight 😂

SingaporeHibs
31-12-2019, 05:59 PM

Hamilton game was the lowest feeling I’ve ever felt watching Hibs for 40 years. I know the cup win is out of bounds but my god nothing will ever beat that day as a Hibs fan. Next in line for Number 1 would be the thrashing we gave The Rangers 4-0. Just a joy from start to finish.

Seekyit
31-12-2019, 06:01 PM
A couple of randoms in here away from the obvious. I remember a 0-0 draw v Aberdeen under Calderwood in 2011 being one of the worst games of football I’ve ever seen, so much so that I questioned why I bothered.

A few years later in the Championship a 3-0 victory over Dundee Utd, January 2017, McGinn just back from injury came on as a sub and scored. Friday night game, magic.

givescotlandfreedom
31-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Beating Aberdeen who were flying when we were in the championship was a great night.
Honourable mentions to beating Dunfermline home and away when we were in relegation trouble too.

green with envy
31-12-2019, 06:49 PM
As one that hasn't missed to many in this decade H&A (30-35 max inc European games) there are to many highs and lows, so i'm going to go with the obvious. Relegation v Hamilton and not just the best of the decade but the best in my lifetime. 21/05/2016.

wookie70
31-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Quite a few to choose from - 4-0 v The Thes and the 4-3 semi v Falkirk would be the best games for me. Both favourable results and great emotion.

If it was worst I have felt it could be the Falkirk second leg. I felt completely out of love with football at that point, cheated and deflated. In terms of shocking games Sunday would be up there and in terms of terrible defeats the "relegation" party game at Tiny is up there.

Superfurry72
31-12-2019, 07:07 PM

I totally understand the point about 1-5. I was gutted at the time but I remember saying to my mate that if we could win it in the next few years, I’d be prepared to forget it. I genuinely don’t care about it anymore, all it did was make our eventual triumph sweeter as it meant even more. Besides, our 2012 team were never good enough to be legends.

davhibby
31-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Falkirk playoff was the worst for me by a long way after the obvious one. Left the ground seriously considering not going to the final. 6-6 at Motherwell deserves a mention as one of the worst too. Rangers 4-0 or 3-1 at Ibrox the best for me

Gloucester Hibs
31-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Sevco didn’t go up until the following year. They lost to Motherwell - heavily - in the 2015 play-off final.

I know bud, hence the “or so it appeared” comment. Immediately after that game I was convinced Sevco we’re going up with Hearts. Motherwell, as it turned out, had other ideas.

hfc rd
31-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Best - Beating Sevco 4-0. We really could have got double figures against them that day, if we didn’t take our foot of the gas pedal after we had scored the 4th. Absolutely battered them all over the park. Ian Black had to be subbed off at HT as Liam Craig had him tucked away in his back pocket.

Worst - Losing to Ross County in the league cup final. Just felt the same horrible feeling like Livingston 2004 all over again. 2016 was a terrific year because of the obvious that happened on May 21st 2016 but it could have been an even better one looking back on it if we had won the domestic double.

Superfurry72
31-12-2019, 08:27 PM
I know bud, hence the “or so it appeared” comment. Immediately after that game I was convinced Sevco we’re going up with Hearts. Motherwell, as it turned out, had other ideas.

Ah, sorry pal! 🧐😳😀

w pilton hibby
31-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Evening News have compiled a list of 14 of the best Hibs games... with video!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/14-best-hibs-matches-last-decade-1352779

hfc rd
31-12-2019, 10:35 PM
Evening News have compiled a list of 14 of the best Hibs games... with video!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/14-best-hibs-matches-last-decade-1352779

The Motherwell 6-6 game? Surely not! We f***** up a 6-2 lead with 20 mins to go.

hibsfan7
31-12-2019, 10:56 PM
The worst was losing the 2016 league cup final

the best was winning the 2016 scottish cup final

Ryan91
31-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Best day other than 21/05/16 was probably when we scudded the Huns 4-0 the first season after going down.

Worst day aside from the final that shall not be mentioned and getting relegated was the loss to Falkirk in the playoffs, thank god for SDG putting it in the net in 90+2

Sir David Gray
31-12-2019, 11:51 PM
The worst was losing the 2016 league cup final

the best was winning the 2016 scottish cup final

Losing the 2016 League Cup final was nowhere near as bad as losing the 2012 Scottish Cup final or being relegated.

AZhibee
01-01-2020, 12:00 AM
Worst; Playoff loss to Falkirk, fully expected promotion that year, missed handball still baffles me.

Best; needs no explanation, otherwise 4-0 over the the.