PDA

View Full Version : Did the Weather affect our game yesterday?

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 11:34 AM
OK, Hibs were poor and the Livi team played a large part in our defeat by closing us down really well and their very physical style of play (some of it legit, a lot of it not).

However, is it possible the strong wind also played its part?

:dunno:

It was difficult to tell sitting in the stands but there seemed to be a lot of passes going astray.

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way an attempt at excuse the team's poor performance.

Green-Hibee-7
30-12-2019, 11:46 AM
From where I was sitting there was barely any passes made along the deck to go astray.

It amazes me, how professional footballers look and judge windy conditions and just tank it back and forward at each other.

We lost as we didn’t string any meaningful passes together or got close to Doidge for second balls. We didn’t have any tempo about our own pressing or passing. Chuck that in with woeful defending and it was a pretty awful performance all round.

Wind wasn’t greats but I’d put that near the bottom of factors as to why we lost that. Was a minging game in general.

Nicho87
30-12-2019, 11:54 AM
No cause Livingston had the exact same weather conditions also.

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 11:58 AM
It definitely affected the game which was absolutely chronic. Whether it affected the result is another story though.

Steve88
30-12-2019, 11:58 AM
No excuse. We played hoof ball yesterday as opposed to trying to pass and move. Sunday league stuff

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 12:02 PM
No cause Livingston had the exact same weather conditions also.

I agree with that, but they seemed to cope better.

HFC 0-7
30-12-2019, 12:33 PM
I agree with that, but they seemed to cope better.

You have just answered the question right there!

Bostonhibby
30-12-2019, 12:33 PM
I'd be concerned if we didn't factor it into our overall approach to matches since we play in Scotland. Don't think it's a reason for defeats like yesterday.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

wookie70
30-12-2019, 12:38 PM
It made a difference to us as we basically played goofball to an isolated striker who was easily handled by Livi. Team selection, tactics, motivation and desire were far bigger factors

Pretty Boy
30-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Livingston having such a good home record isn't a coincidence.

Hibs were garbage but it seems to be a place that drags teams down a level or 5. The weather is probably another mitigating factor.

Billy Whizz
30-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Livingston used the wind better than Hibs

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Livi is basically where football goes to die. They press hard, kick hard and force mistakes. Like Stoke used to. Hibs played right into it instead of passing it and tiring them out, we constantly just kicked it long and passed it badly. Only quick bit of play we done all day put Doidge through.

I get Ross doesn't have the players he wants but if that's the best he can do away at Livi I'm a little worried. He got it quite wrong.

Inconsequential
30-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Everywhere you go always take the weather... :greengrin

hibbymark
30-12-2019, 01:09 PM
We also train at East Mains daily which is the windiest place known to man ! We were honking. Out played , and outthought by a hard working journeymen

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-12-2019, 01:17 PM
We also train at East Mains daily which is the windiest place known to man ! We were honking. Out played , and outthought by a hard working journeymen

Exactly this.

It’s criminal the amount of space they were getting to run at us whilst they were swarming all over us when we were in possession.

Caused our own issues at times as well with slack passing and poor decision making.

Our only tactic seemed to be to boot the ball any direction away from our goal with no composure whatsoever.

Onion
30-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Was always going to be a tough game due to the appalling pitch. Livi have managed to adapt their game to it, hence their sensational home record. It is without doubt a HUGE advantage to them.

The windy conditions did not suit passing football either. Hibs did not or could not adapt their game, whereas Livi did. It was all about the 2nd half where Livi pressed their whole team up to half way and we could hardly clear it. They simply had to keep knocking the ball into our box and eventually something was going to give, and it did.

IMO, Hibs could play that game 100 times on that pitch and in those conditions and count the wins on one hand. Horrible club, horrible pitch, horrible football.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2019, 01:57 PM
It probably did but we made very little attempt to pass the ball on the floor.

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 02:00 PM
It probably did but we made very little attempt to pass the ball on the floor.

That was my feeling as well and I was confused as hell as to why we chose to do that.

We seemed to resort to long punts up the park, which Livi cleared, no problem.

Hibee Mac
30-12-2019, 03:07 PM
I did have an effect but what sealed the deal was our player's inability to adapt to it.

Second half in particular we couldn't even clear it past the halfway line but we were incapable of using that to our advantage in the first half or adapting our plan to clear it and pass out the back.

Moody Blues
30-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Livi is basically where football goes to die. They press hard, kick hard and force mistakes. Like Stoke used to. Hibs played right into it instead of passing it and tiring them out, we constantly just kicked it long and passed it badly. Only quick bit of play we done all day put Doidge through.

I get Ross doesn't have the players he wants but if that's the best he can do away at Livi I'm a little worried. He got it quite wrong.

Spot on.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2019, 03:19 PM
That was my feeling as well and I was confused as hell as to why we chose to do that.

I think they drag you in to playing their way. Given they’ve only lost 5 goals at home all season they’re obviously good at doing what they do.

MikeyS
30-12-2019, 03:47 PM

It's the only tactic that Stevenson & Hanlon seem to know. Each time Rocky looks to roll it out it's only ever to Lewis & it was actively encouraged by John Potter all afternoon yesterday. Scott Allan was raging at Lewis in the 1st half that he kept pumping it over his head time and time again.

We need a big change in our build up play, hopefully once he gets his own players we see a difference

Rumble de Thump
30-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Livingston have the worst astroturf pitch I've ever seen. If pro clubs are going to be allowed to have such pitches they must be of a far better standard.

greenlex
30-12-2019, 05:30 PM
It definitely affected the game which was absolutely chronic. Whether it affected the result is another story though.

This

FilipinoHibs
31-12-2019, 12:10 AM
The weather and the pitch are not condusive to good football. Think best tactic is to pressure your opponents and put balls into the opponents box. Livi do have the advantage of playing on that pitch every other week and training on it. Personally think they should ban these pitches at top level. Not good for the development of our game and players

Captain Trips
31-12-2019, 12:14 AM
Shambolic first 1/3 of the team yet again.

monktonharp
31-12-2019, 12:36 AM
Livingston used the wind better than HibsI actually wondered if Livi won the toss, and decided to start /chose the direction. the wind was in our favour a bit in the first half but seemed stronger in the second. the fact that the ba' was up in the air far too mutch to my liking, seemed to favour the tall Livi players too. suited them better, snd they bossed us big style in the second half.