PDA

View Full Version : Winter Break- what is it for?

Spike Mandela
30-12-2019, 10:46 AM
As we are currently experiencing the warmest temperatures on record for a December going into January can anyone explain why we have this enforced 3 week winter hreak from league football?

Callum_62
30-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Don't get it either - intense schedule when we come back

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 11:29 AM
There's absolutely no justifiable football/weather related reasons.

All it does is force clubs to play 8 or 9 games inside a month, then are usually not so well prepared for the Scottish Cup game on their return.

Sir David Gray
30-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Mental but then most things usually are when it comes to decisions taken by Scottish football authorities.

We could quite easily have awful weather in February, meanwhile the next few weeks are predicted to be relatively mild.

The Modfather
30-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Whether there is merit in a winter break or not I’d like to see it over Xmas and New Year. With now having a young daughter we take turns about spending it here with my family and my wife’s family down south, so was away for the derby. I think it would make sense to have the break during Xmas and new year when things are most hectic and people are generally travelling all over. It would also ease the financial pressure to attend games at the most expensive fortnight of the year for most.

Hibbyradge
30-12-2019, 11:41 AM
As far as I know, the clubs welcome the winter break. In fact, was it not originally the clubs who asked for it?

It gives the players time to recover and freshen up, and work on any niggles they've been carrying.

It also means that clubs making early signings can work with them before exposing them to games.

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Whether there is merit in a winter break or not I’d like to see it over Xmas and New Year. With now having a young daughter we take turns about spending it here with my family and my wife’s family down south, so was away for the derby. I think it would make sense to have the break during Xmas and new year when things are most hectic and people are generally travelling all over. It would also ease the financial pressure to attend games at the most expensive fortnight of the year for most.

Totally agree, that makes perfect sense.

:top marks

Spike Mandela
30-12-2019, 11:56 AM
As far as I know, the clubs welcome the winter break. In fact, was it not originally the clubs who asked for it?

It gives the players time to recover and freshen up, and work on any niggles they've been carrying.

It also means that clubs making early signings can work with them before exposing them to games.

What if you are a player just back from injury itching for games? Majority of player moves will likely be as window closes at end of month.

January is depressing enough without the football.😀

Billy Whizz
30-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Best to have it from a fans perspective, would be pre Xmas.
Money is tight and fans have Christmas to shop and buy for, plus it’s the darkest month in the year
Unfortunately with Champions and Europa League ties, running in December, clubs in europe wouldn’t vote for it

This week for instance loads of people have time on their hands, could have had great crowds

chrisski33
30-12-2019, 12:33 PM
So the teams can swan off to spain, Dubai etc. Personally the weather tends to get worse in feb beginning of march so be better having it then if its for weather justifications

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 02:06 PM
We should switch to Summer Football, because the weather's always better in June/July......

greenlex
30-12-2019, 08:14 PM
We play twice a week for weeks before it and the same after it. Seems pretty pointless from a physical break standpoint.

NAE NOOKIE
31-12-2019, 12:47 AM

Absolutely agree. It seems mental that we get bombarded with more games in December than most other months of the season when folk are having their most expensive time of the year and as you say lots of folk have travel commitments to visit far flung relatives. The other point as many have stated is that the weather can be ok in January and absolutely arctic in February which makes the break totally hit or miss from that POV. So piling on the fixtures in February to make up for the winter break is fine so long as there's no postponements which could lead to a hell of a log jam later in the season.

While that is true I lost a wee bit of sympathy for players in this country when watching the world club cup final and the commentator said it was Flamengo's 80th game of the year .... it might even have been 'season' but that's surely impossible.

monktonharp
31-12-2019, 01:23 AM
possibly the best break would be a week or 2 before Christmas? nearer xmas/new year lots of families meet up or travel to join friends and family. this should be the ideal period for increased attendances surely? the Dundee derby for example, looked like a full ground, on tv although I have not seen the attendance numbers.

cocteautwin
31-12-2019, 04:03 AM
It’s to allow £1m hybrid pitches the time to recover from the bashing they took from summer classical music concerts.

CockneyRebel
31-12-2019, 09:25 AM
We play twice a week for weeks before it and the same after it. Seems pretty pointless from a physical break standpoint.

That's it in a nutshell for me. After a period of 2 games a week the players may all need a "rest" but then straight after their "rest" they are back to 2 games a week again but don't get another rest. Also. the break always seems to upset any momentum that the team has built up and it takes a few games to get back up to speed plus any new signings/loans will have less time to bed in before the games begin again.
Not wholly against a winter break, but as many posters have said, the best time to take a break is impossible to determine.

Onion
31-12-2019, 09:32 AM
I miss the New Year derby. If the rulers of our game had negotiated anything like a half decent TV deal, there would be zero chance of them bunking off for a holiday.

Eyrie
31-12-2019, 09:39 AM
There should have been one more game before the break, partly to complete the second round of fixtures but mostly because this is the holiday period and people are off work so attendances will be higher.

Instead we have Hamilton in midweek after the break.

lucky
31-12-2019, 09:45 AM
I thought it was brought in to give the players a mini mid-season break. I think it’s a good idea but if it was based on weather then we should be playing summer football

Carheenlea
31-12-2019, 09:47 AM
A longer break in summer would be more preferable. The break post Christmas is nothing more than a nuisance which asks fans to travel midweek either side of it to ease fixture congestion in the darkest and coldest months of the year , but of course, those decisions are never made with the supporter in mind. We are way down the list of priorities (probably the last).

pollution
31-12-2019, 11:25 AM
The answers are pretty simple, really.

It was originally mooted in the late 70's when there were severe winters eg 1978? when one particular game was postponed 23 times.

The rest of the league was in complete disarray. That was the start of the idea of a winter break. All the other reasons stem from that.

NAE NOOKIE
31-12-2019, 11:25 AM
A longer break in summer would be more preferable. The break post Christmas is nothing more than a nuisance which asks fans to travel midweek either side of it to ease fixture congestion in the darkest and coldest months of the year , but of course, those decisions are never made with the supporter in mind. We are way down the list of priorities (probably the last).

Indeed, as you say the match going fans are bottom of the list of priorities all the time every time. Of all the businesses that rely on paying customers none have customer loyalty like football has and none take them for granted like football does ... made all the more frustrating when you consider that far more than in the so called 'big leagues' fans in Scotland really are the life blood of their clubs.

Alfred E Newman
31-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Surely there is a case for having a full card on 2nd Jan rather than the ridiculous midweek card in mid December.

Billy Whizz
31-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Surely there is a case for having a full card on 2nd Jan rather than the ridiculous midweek card in mid December.

Could easily have been playing Thursday/Sunday, while everyone is on holiday

Eyrie
31-12-2019, 04:03 PM
The only sensible time to have any break would be immediately before the split.

That would allow time to catch up on any games lost between mid-January and mid-April, as well as providing more time to sort out the post-split fixtures.

Joe6-2
31-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Don't get it either - intense schedule when we come back

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

And the weather isn’t any better!

Max_Shah
31-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Its obvious...

To enable our “soft boy-band” players :rolleyes: time to record another UK Top 10 hit single.

If only we had a manager/governing body who appreciated the value of puking up on Gullane Bents and avoiding Alsatian turds on Fettes Police Station frozen playing fields. :na na:

I do wonder how many folk on .net maintain appropriate BMI/Liver Enzyme levels [etc] and manage their delicate nutritional balance all while perceiving "softness" in our players. Not me, that is for certain, and it is the height of utter folly to compare what any fan does for a living to what a professional Hibernian player [of any gender] puts their body through on a daily basis.

This ain't 19-canteen. East Mains is a wonderful facility and the players are worked HARD every day, both psychologically and physically, every day, even during any alleged "break"

TL:DR - Professional sport is a legitimate science and although change may be scary at first it truly is the enemy of complacency - hence The Winter Break.

davhibby
01-01-2020, 12:25 AM
Winter break-what is it good for-absolutely nothing

CMurdoch
01-01-2020, 12:40 AM
It’s to allow £1m hybrid pitches the time to recover from the bashing they took from summer classical music concerts.

and time for teams that have such a pitch to get their broken players repaired and get some new ones so they don't get relegated.
It's an establishment conspiracy I tells yah.

Ozyhibby
01-01-2020, 01:40 AM
3 solid weeks where the yams are guaranteed to be bottom of the league? What’s not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moulin Yarns
01-01-2020, 07:58 AM

Say it again. 😉

Pretty Boy
01-01-2020, 09:23 AM
It's probably a good idea in principle if the whole season worked around giving players a couple of weeks in January to refresh.

However we have the mental situation in which Hibs played 3 games in 9 days before the split and are playing 3 games in 6 days post split. The cumulative fatigue of that schedule will undo a lot of what is achieved by having a few days in the sun.

It's pie in the sky to expect it but a bit consideration for fans would be nice as well. December and January are notoriously expensive months and clusters of games coming so close together makes it an expensive time to follow football. They way the Hibs support had held up over the last few weeks, home and away, has been brilliant. I'm sure we will take a huge support to Tannadice as well even with it being 5 weeks or so since a lot of people were paid.

Keith_M
01-01-2020, 09:35 AM
Its obvious...

To enable our “soft boy-band” players :rolleyes: time to record another UK Top 10 hit single.

If only we had a manager/governing body who appreciated the value of puking up on Gullane Bents and avoiding Alsatian turds on Fettes Police Station frozen playing fields. :na na:

I do wonder how many folk on .net maintain appropriate BMI/Liver Enzyme levels [etc] and manage their delicate nutritional balance all while perceiving "softness" in our players. Not me, that is for certain, and it is the height of utter folly to compare what any fan does for a living to what a professional Hibernian player [of any gender] puts their body through on a daily basis.

This ain't 19-canteen. East Mains is a wonderful facility and the players are worked HARD every day, both psychologically and physically, every day, even during any alleged "break"

TL:DR - Professional sport is a legitimate science and although change may be scary at first it truly is the enemy of complacency - hence The Winter Break.

That's quite some rant you had there, but you still made no argument whatsoever for having a winter break.

Maybe you'd like to try again with proper arguments, in place of the sarcasm and virtue signalling.

CentreLine
02-01-2020, 09:16 AM
As we are currently experiencing the warmest temperatures on record for a December going into January can anyone explain why we have this enforced 3 week winter hreak from league football?

Yep and the league will resume just in time for the traditionally bad weather in February and March. Just daft

PercyHibs
02-01-2020, 10:00 AM

I love the games over Xmas and NY. Gutted when the winter break hits.

Regarding niggles and recovery, we should have a big enough squad to cope with a bit of rotation which should give us an advantage over half the teams in the league.

Not So Young
04-01-2020, 11:56 AM
When Celtic & Rangers are pumped out of Europe early it allows them to play money spinning games abroad.
Then come late March early April they complain about the number of games their players play.

It's a frace

By all means build in two weeks flexability into the fixtures but by having set dates you run the risk of a planned shut down followed in a couple of weeks by an enforeced shut down due to the weather

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 01:12 PM
Absolutely agree. It seems mental that we get bombarded with more games in December than most other months of the season when folk are having their most expensive time of the year and as you say lots of folk have travel commitments to visit far flung relatives. The other point as many have stated is that the weather can be ok in January and absolutely arctic in February which makes the break totally hit or miss from that POV. So piling on the fixtures in February to make up for the winter break is fine so long as there's no postponements which could lead to a hell of a log jam later in the season.

While that is true I lost a wee bit of sympathy for players in this country when watching the world club cup final and the commentator said it was Flamengo's 80th game of the year .... it might even have been 'season' but that's surely impossible.

Flamengo lost. :wink:

Alfred E Newman
04-01-2020, 08:48 PM
Perfect conditions for football today.

Hibbyradge
04-01-2020, 09:12 PM
Perfect conditions for football today.

The players legs might disagree.

FilipinoHibs
04-01-2020, 09:13 PM
I hate it!

Mikey
11-01-2020, 09:01 AM
I'm glad we're not playing today!

Keith_M
11-01-2020, 10:43 AM
I'm glad we're not playing today!

Wimp!

Radium
11-01-2020, 11:14 AM
5 senior games cancelled already including Dundee match.

Hibbyradge
11-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Them in the ivory towers know what they're doing ...

MWHIBBIES
11-01-2020, 11:28 AM
The break is good to give players a rest and recover from injury. Generally useless in terms of pitch condition and getting more games on.

HH81
11-01-2020, 11:31 AM
The break is good to give players a rest and recover from injury. Generally useless in terms of pitch condition and getting more games on.

Travelling to spain and playing friendlies is not really having a rest.

I'd cancel the winter break and play less midweek games

hibbysam
12-01-2020, 08:46 PM
5 senior games cancelled already including Dundee match.

None of the top flight games would have been cancelled though, hence why it’s pointless. We have folk calling for us to have a 2 week break in March to help Scotland, which I don’t have any issue with, but we take 3 weeks off in January for no reason.

We lose our New Years derby, we play about 8 games in December, loads of games in a very short space of time when we are back, and come straight back into a big Scottish cup tie.

MWHIBBIES
12-01-2020, 08:51 PM
Travelling to spain and playing friendlies is not really having a rest.

I'd cancel the winter break and play less midweek games

Traveling to a lovely, warm country for a training camp and giving everyone a run out is definitely more of a rest than Wednesday night games in the pishing rain in January.

I do agree though, it is a bit pointless but has benefitted Hibs a lot recently. It will do no harm for our squad IMO.

Radium
12-01-2020, 09:03 PM
None of the top flight games would have been cancelled though, hence why it’s pointless. We have folk calling for us to have a 2 week break in March to help Scotland, which I don’t have any issue with, but we take 3 weeks off in January for no reason.

We lose our New Years derby, we play about 8 games in December, loads of games in a very short space of time when we are back, and come straight back into a big Scottish cup tie.

The all weather pitch at Alloa was cancelled, there are a few of those in the league.

Tynecastle is not the cleverest of pitches to start with and didn’t cope well with the rain the other week.

Specifically mentioned Dundee as they were recently in the league.

Personally I would like to see a Feb - Nov season with the 3 coldest and driechest months missed but understand that is not a universal opinion

CMurdoch
12-01-2020, 11:01 PM

Say it again