PDA

View Full Version : Question Best and worst Hibs player of the Decade

Gaffer1875
29-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Last few days of 2019 and got me thinking who the best and worst Hibs players of the last 10 years are.

Easily to reel off so many poor players and there are a fair few who have been excellent for us. This is mine;

Best - John McGinn. Cup winner, part of a midfield that was deemed the best in the country, had everything, got a good move and we should see a second pay day. Overall decent guy too.

Worst - Rowan Vine. Why the hell we signed this numpty I’ll never know. Best thing about Vine was his beard. Apparently QPR paid millions for him back in the day too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Best - Certainly McGinn

Worst - Probably Vine. Martin Scott was also absolutely awful.

supermcginn
29-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Mcginn best

Worst, Tudor Jones or Nelson.

Northernhibee
29-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Best: McGinn
Worst: Pa Kujabi

jeffers
29-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Mcginn best

Worst, Tudor Jones or Nelson.

There we have the winner IMO, I remember Nelso being OKish when he just concentrated on defending.

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Best : Leigh Griffiths

Worst : Owain Tudor Jones

Pretty Boy
29-12-2019, 08:32 PM
Best - McGinn. I loved McGeough as well but McGinn was just a cut above. Infectious enthusiasm, huge heart and real quality.

Worst - I don't remember much about Tudor Jones, which says just about everything, but he 'wins' purely for his pathetic bottling out of a tackle in the lead up to Hamiltons equaliser in the play offs. Utterly pitiful.

King conrad
29-12-2019, 11:55 PM
best mcgeouch and the worst was Nelson

LaMotta
30-12-2019, 05:47 AM
Best - McGinn.

Worst - James Collins.

Since90+2
30-12-2019, 05:57 AM
Best - McGinn.

Worst - James Collins.

McGinn was the best. Can't agree with Collins , he was nowhere near the worst player of the decade IMO.

JDT
30-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Best - Darren McGregor
Worst - Billy Brown

franck sauzee
30-12-2019, 06:50 AM
Best challenge of the decade. Can't choose between Daz vs Hearts or Allan vs The Hun. Both beauties. Respect the rivalry 😂

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2019, 06:51 AM
Lost count of the amount of times Leigh Leigh Super Leigh pulled us out of the smelly stuff hates the Hearts our all time top Premier League scorer SPL the last decade and if rumours are to believed still more to come hopefully

Tin hat on here but Michael Nelson is far from our worst ever player near the bottom yes but not the worst

Told by Butcher his services were no longer required he was totally professional and did not throw in the towel

A journeyman Centre half experienced and one paced I remember a bad head injury versus Celtic blood everywhere heavily bandaged came back on winning headers

Ross County away dislocated shoulder refused to come off stayed on scored a goal

Lots of our current squad could show the same level of commitment

Scottish League Cup winner with Kilmarnock he was one of many who let the club down when all they had to do was hold on to a 2-0 lead versus Accies

I give you Pa Kujabi raise you Ryan McGivern Rowan Vine and Tudor Jones :greengrin

theonlywayisup
30-12-2019, 07:03 AM
Best: 100% John McGinn

Worst: There has been a few, but I'm going to suggest 'Sproule on a motorbike' Alan O'Brien. He was unbelievably timid and tried his hardest to not get involved in the action areas.

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 07:19 AM
Best - McGinn

Worst - if it’s purely on ability then that wee full back guy that we signed from Hearts (or had previously been at Hearts). No harm to the guy but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so out their depth. Fraser someone I think?

Edit: Fraser Mullen

If it’s about more than just ability then I’d agree with the likes of Vine and OTJ. I’d add Feruz in there as well.

franck sauzee
30-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Best - McGinn

Worst - if it’s purely on ability then that wee full back guy that we signed from Hearts (or had previously been at Hearts). No harm to the guy but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player so out their depth. Fraser someone I think?

If it’s about more than just ability then I’d agree with the likes of Vine and OTJ. I’d add Feruz in there as well.

Forgot all about Feruz. That's the winner for me. Needs applauded for somehow getting a 10 year contract out of Chelsea. He was dreadful

theonlywayisup
30-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Forgot all about Feruz. That's the winner for me. Needs applauded for somehow getting a 10 year contract out of Chelsea. He was dreadful

From his Wiki page:

Islam Salieh Feruz (born 10 September 1995) is a professional footballer who plays as a centre forward. He is currently without a club.

Feruz spent most of his youth career with Celtic, before moving to Chelsea in September 2011 after rejecting a professional contract with the Scottish club. He never made a competitive appearance for the Chelsea first team, having mostly represented the team at U21 levels. He had loan spells at OFI Crete, Blackpool, Hibernian, Royal Excel Mouscron and Swindon Town, but these were brief and unsuccessful.

Feruz is a resident of Scotland and naturalised citizen of the United Kingdom. He declared in 2009 that he would play for the Scotland national football team, and represented the country at several youth levels.

He hasn't played any football since 2017 and has only 20 senior league and 3 cup appearances to date, six of which were for Hibs. Should have stayed at Celtic and could have developed. Instead, chased the money.

Dmas
30-12-2019, 08:15 AM
Mcginn best although Leigh is close, just think mcginn was the difference in our turn around after relegation and his character played a huge part in getting the fans back onside with the club

Worst I was struggling with until I saw Tudor Jones mentioned that guy was terrible and didn’t give a monkeys about us or the club just there for the last pay day.

Sir David Gray
30-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Best - John McGinn
Worst - Valdas Trakys

we are hibs
30-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Best mcginn
Worst Nelson

Vault Boy
30-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Best:

1 - John McGinn
2 - Leigh Griffiths
3 - Scott Allan

Worst:

1 - Owain Tudor-Jones
2 - Rowan Vine
3 - Graeme Smith

Had to get a keeper in there.

Weegreenman
30-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Best = Latapy
Big Frank
SJM

Worst = Rowan Vine
Zibi
James Collins

Sir David Gray
30-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Best = Latapy
Big Frank
SJM

Worst = Rowan Vine
Zibi
James Collins

Latapy, Sauzee and Malkowski didn't play for us during the past decade i.e. since 2010.

GlesgaeHibby
30-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Best player definitely McGinn.

Plenty of candidates for the worst including 'Big Dave' (Lithuanian Striker), Matt Thornhill, Pa Kujabi. From what I've seen on Josh Vela, he could also be included on that list.

villahibs
30-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Mcginn

Ma-Kalambay- went on to make 9 professional appearances in 10 years after leaving us. Tells it’s own story really...

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Lost count of the amount of times Leigh Leigh Super Leigh pulled us out of the smelly stuff hates the Hearts our all time top Premier League scorer SPL the last decade and if rumours are to believed still more to come hopefully

Tin hat on here but Michael Nelson is far from our worst ever player near the bottom yes but not the worst

Told by Butcher his services were no longer required he was totally professional and did not throw in the towel

A journeyman Centre half experienced and one paced I remember a bad head injury versus Celtic blood everywhere heavily bandaged came back on winning headers

Ross County away dislocated shoulder refused to come off stayed on scored a goal

Scottish League Cup winner with Kilmarnock he was one of many who let the club down when all they had to do was hold on to a 2-0 lead versus Accies

I give you Pa Kujabi raise you Ryan McGivern Rowan Vine and Tudor Jones :greengrin

This. Leigh was outstanding and carried out sorry team in the main created goals for himself out of nothing and his infectious love of the game and esp playing for Hibs edges McGinn a close second - ouch I’ll tie them - SJM will to win second to none and drove our team on regardless. Without McGinn no cup? Harder to get out of relegation? Less of a runi in Europe?

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2019, 09:30 AM
This. Leigh was outstanding and carried out sorry team in the main created goals for himself out of nothing and his infectious love of the game and esp playing for Hibs edges McGinn a close second - ouch I’ll tie them - SJM will to win second to none and drove our team on regardless. Without McGinn no cup? Harder to get out of relegation? Less of a runi in Europe?

SJM was my initial first choice I get his enthusiasm and dragging us further up the pitch I used to joke to my mates he had the biggest arse in Scottish fitba perfect at shielding the ba and forcing opponents to foul him

A truly great player and all round brilliant guy an example to youngsters

Looking at Leigh’s record with HIBS it is remarkable how many of his goals proved to be the winner playing in a **** HIBS team

Games that he single handedly dragged us over the line screaming and kicking include Killie away and Falkirk at Hampden both in the Scottish Cup

I also remember him playing as the lone striker versus a very good Celtic team one cold December day and scoring the only goal from an acute angle

Haste ye back!

Ozyhibby
30-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Best - McGinn by a distance

Worst - James Collins just because his inability to score cost Fenlon his job followed by us being relegated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hart RIP
30-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Tin hat on here but Michael Nelson is far from our worst ever player near the bottom yes but not the

No tin hat required Billy. If half that team had Michael Nelsons commitment we would not have gone down. I still remember his bravery against Celtic winning headers with his head bandaged up. When he signed for us he was too slow for the top flight but never gave less that 100 %

Tom Hart RIP
30-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Best - John McGinn
Worst - Valdas Trakys

I remember Trakys’s performance against Motherwell at Easter Road when he was outstanding. Won every header and made both goals for Deek.

Rowan Vine was a top player with St J but picked up an early injury with us and never fulfilled his potential. Didn’t have the best of attitudes though.

OTJ was delighted to sign for us and get away from Terry Butcher and was gutted when he got the job. He was outstanding for ICT against us at Easter Road so I was delighted when we signed him. Welsh international.

Top SJM
Worst - Probably Feruz

Michael
30-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Best: 100% John McGinn

Worst: There has been a few, but I'm going to suggest 'Sproule on a motorbike' Alan O'Brien. He was unbelievably timid and tried his hardest to not get involved in the action areas.

O'Brien wasn't this decade. He was utterly hopeless though.

we are hibs
30-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Nelson put in one of the worst performances ive ever seen from a centre half at home to partick in a 1-1 draw. Got sent off and folk were actually sarcastically cheering the referees decision. Absolutely hopeless. Most definitely the worst centre half ive seen in a hibs shirt. Hard to believe he featured under stubbs for a short spell at the start of the 14/15 season. David Stephens also deserves a special mention for his performance in a 3-0 loss away to dundee united. Every time the ball went near him he done the wrong thing. Ben williams saved us from a proper pumping that day

basehibby
30-12-2019, 10:30 AM
No tin hat required Billy. If half that team had Michael Nelsons commitment we would not have gone down. I still remember his bravery against Celtic winning headers with his head bandaged up. When he signed for us he was too slow for the top flight but never gave less that 100 %

Nelson was a truly awful footballer who, as well as being slower than a week in jail with the turning circle of an oil tanker could barely pass water. 100% of utter gash is still utter gash and signing players of Nelson's abysmal quality was one of the reasons we were relegated.

Still - take the point about his commitment and bravery - and a bigger contribution to our relegation was made by flea-hearted players like Owen Tudor-Jones and Rowan Vine who had more ability than Nelson but gave us absolutely NOTHING. So my award for the worst player goes to Tudor-Jones (by a baw hair) - ****ing bad joke who should be ashamed to call himself a footballer.

The best has got to be McGinn. Griffiths comes close but McGinn being the best of our cup winning side tips the balance.

Weegreenman
30-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Latapy, Sauzee and Malkowski didn't play for us during the past decade i.e. since 2010.

😂😂😂

Just testing, well done you get a gold star 👍

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2019, 10:43 AM
SJM was my initial first choice I get his enthusiasm and dragging us further up the pitch I used to joke to my mates he had the biggest arse in Scottish fitba perfect at shielding the ba and forcing opponents to foul him

A truly great player and all round brilliant guy an example to youngsters

Looking at Leigh’s record with HIBS it is remarkable how many of his goals proved to be the winner playing in a **** HIBS team

Games that he single handedly dragged us over the line screaming and kicking include Killie away and Falkirk at Hampden both in the Scottish Cup

I also remember him playing as the lone striker versus a very good Celtic team one cold December day and scoring the only goal from an acute angle

Haste ye back!

I suppose McGinn had a team of leaders around whilst Leigh’s was a team bereft of leaders (McPake aside) I’ll go with my frost instinct - Leigh.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Perhaps since it’s a special category we should have one for the best keeper of the decade...

LaMotta
30-12-2019, 11:58 AM
McGinn was the best. Can't agree with Collins , he was nowhere near the worst player of the decade IMO.

Fair do's mate but Collins performances in 3 of the 4 the derbies that season against Hearts youth selects will haunt me forever.:grr:

hfc rd
30-12-2019, 12:07 PM
Best - John McGinn by a country mile. Absolute legend 💚

Worst - Owain Tudor-Jones. Whoever advised us to sign him needs their head examined as they most certainly must have been on drugs.

Tom Hart RIP
30-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Voted for SJM but loved watching Efe during the short time we had him. His dummy that sent the two St Mirren? Players rushing past him thinking he was going to pass back to the keeper then calmly turning and strolling through midfield is a lasting memory.

Scouse Hibee
30-12-2019, 06:23 PM
McGinn -Best

Feruz - Worst

No one else comes close to either of them

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2019, 06:33 PM
McGinn -Best

Feruz - Worst

No one else comes close to either of them

Not even Sparky ? :confused:

Crab apple
30-12-2019, 06:34 PM
Best: Super John McGinn
Worst: Graeme Smith. His performance against Well in the 6-6 game was awful and highly questionable. And I still have nightmares about the 5-0 freezing cold February evening thrashing by St Johnstone when he was again the keeper.

Centre Hawf
30-12-2019, 06:34 PM
Best is McGinn for all the reasons mentioned earlier.

Worst for me might be Tudor Jones. To the point in his podcast he mentioned knowing he was done but continued to go out picking up a wage from clubs. No time for him at all.

Nelson cared and tried his best and I don't think he was that bad but he certainly wasn't good, I at least have respect for him.

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Best: Super John McGinn
Worst: Graeme Smith. His performance against Well in the 6-6 game was awful and highly questionable. And I still have nightmares about the 5-0 freezing cold February evening thrashing by St Johnstone when he was again the keeper.

Graeme Smith :faf:

**** me, he was atrocious. Had managed to forget all about him.

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Not even Sparky ? :confused:

Sparky is a very close second behind SJM for me. Did he not got the leagues POTY playing in our team that flirted with relegation? I wonder when the last POTY came from a team as low/lower than we were at that time?

WoreTheGreen
30-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Sold me sky tv at my door and agreed he was pish

The 90+2
30-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Leigh Griffiths wins best by a mile.

I really ****ing hate Ryan McGivern so I’ll say him.

The 90+2
30-12-2019, 06:40 PM
Graeme Smith :faf:

**** me, he was atrocious. Had managed to forget all about him.

Buzz is a hearts **** too. Actual pleb of a guy.

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Buzz is a hearts **** too. Actual pleb of a guy.

He was playing 7s at the pits on a Thursday night a year or so ago. Was even pish there.

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Sparky is a very close second behind SJM for me. Did he not got the leagues POTY playing in our team that flirted with relegation? I wonder when the last POTY came from a team as low/lower than we were at that time?

Hey!

Happy New Year Callum!

:party::partyhibb

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Leigh Griffiths wins best by a mile.

I really ****ing hate Ryan McGivern so I’ll say him.

:thumbsup:

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Hey!

Happy New Year Callum!

:party::partyhibb

And you Billy :aok:

Frankhfc
30-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Best - David Gray, his header that won the Scottish Cup will live long in the memory and for that reason alone. A terrific player.

Worst - Shefi Kuqi,

Hibernia&Alba
30-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Some good nominations in here. For best I would take McGinn just ahead of Griffiths.

We have made some atrocious signings who can compete for worst: Graeme Smith, Tudor-Jones, Vine, Collins, Kuqi; but I'm going for Pa Kujabi. To this day I'm convinced he wasn't really a footballer but had stolen somebody else's identity.

WeeRussell
01-01-2020, 11:53 PM
Worst is difficult.

Best is easy - John McGinn.