PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Livingston 29 12 19)

Jonnyboy
29-12-2019, 07:06 PM
The high of the Tynecastle win was still fresh in my mind as I travelled to the Tony Macaroni Arena this afternoon, but I was mindful of the fact that such a result counts for less if it’s followed up by a defeat. We lost, played pitifully and missed out on a glorious chance to narrow the gap on both Aberdeen and Motherwell who both lost points.

The blame game is an easy one to play but I don’t intend to go down that road too much as it is a pointless exercise at the end of the day. The weather was rubbish, the pitch is a disgrace, the referee was biased etc., etc., are words that I’ll no doubt read on the messageboard but the bottom line to me is that Livingston were better organised, hungrier for the points and seemed fitter than Hibs. That first point is factual whilst the second and third are surely hard to argue against given how the match panned out.

Jack Ross went with the same starting eleven he’d fielded for the derby whilst on the bench there were places for David Gray and Steven Whittaker with Mallan and Jackson dropping out; perhaps due to injury but in truth I’m not sure. The players would have to be at it from the off because Livi are a fine team at home, conceding only five goals prior to this visit from Hibs.

From the off it seemed that Hibs’ answer to the swirling wind conditions was to go high and long in hoping to find the Livi defenders struggling with the flight of the ball. It didn’t work although it was from a Marciano clearance that Boyle managed to control well but his shot at goal was weak. That effort apart, playing the ball on the deck was virtually non-existent from a Hibs perspective as Livi made better use of the ball by keeping it low and passing through our midfield.

I think it’s fair to say that the hosts were dominant throughout and might have taken a first half lead when Lawson unleashed an effort that Marciano stopped but couldn’t hold. Thankfully, Paul Hanlon was on hand to clear the danger. In a rare bit of flowing football, Doidge raced into the Livi box but his left foot shot from around fifteen yards flew over the bar. Marciano then saved from Lamie before uncharacteristic slack play from McGregor almost allowed Dykes to run through on goal.

It had been a very disappointing performance in the first half and I hoped that Jack Ross would have encouraging words to offer his players at half time. Surprisingly, there were no substitutions made even although the likes of Horgan and Boyle had offered little or nothing in an attacking sense. When the second half started it looked for a minute or two as though Hibs were going to make a better fist of things but that proved to be a false dawn, although Hallberg should have done much better than sending a shot well over the bar when nobody had come to shut him down.

Around the hour mark the hosts took a deserved lead when Hibs failed to clear a corner, the ball bounced around in the six yard box and Guthrie hustled it over the line. Shocking defending akin to that you might witness in a public park on a Sunday.

Any hope that this might galvanise Hibs into action was a forlorn one as the pattern of the game was unaltered. When a Livi man had the ball he was given time and space to play it whereas a Hibs man with the ball was quickly surrounded and dispossessed. The Livi fitness levels are to be complimented given that they performed that way for the entire ninety minutes.

Five minutes after going behind, Jack Ross tried to change things up by replacing the ineffective Scott Allan and even more ineffective Daryl Horgan with Oli Shaw and Fraser Murray. Sadly there was no obvious improvement and indeed the hosts soon doubled their lead when a poor attempted clearance reached Lawson on the right and the Livi man delivered a fine cross into the area whereupon Marciano stayed rooted to the spot and McGregor allowed Guthrie to get the better of him as he headed into the net.

There was a fantastic support in Livingston today, at least in terms of numbers but we were oh so quiet, allowing the fifty or so Livi youngsters to sing their way through the afternoon with little or no competition.

As the game petered out, Livi sought out a third goal and only a last ditch challenge from Stevenson stopped Dykes from scoring it.

What have we learned from today’s performance? We need to up the desire to win level dramatically; we need to match or better the fitness of our opponents; we need to accept that one or two of our regular starters need to either ship up or shape out.

Oh …. No man of the match for me today as not one of them did anything worthy of special mention.

The players

Marciano – Rocky had a couple of decent saves but given that both goals conceded were to a player in our own six yard box we maybe need to question why he wasn’t out there smothering or punching the ball away.

Naismith – Today was not a good day at the office for Jason. He struggled with the flight of the ball both before and after the break and offered next to nothing going forward.

McGregor – As immense as he was at Tynecastle he struggled today against a striker (Dykes) who used his physicality well and perhaps more importantly stayed on his feet.

Hanlon – Another who struggled with the flight of the ball he was guilty on a couple of occasions in letting a high ball bounce rather than attacking it. That invariably gives the attacking player an advantage and that’s what happened today.

Stevenson – Lewis was not at his best and found Lawson of Livi a difficult opponent but as is always the case with Lewis he gave it everything until the end, some of his team mates did not.

Slivka – I read on here that he’s too inconsistent and today’s performance kinda cements that view. I thought he did well against Hearts but was pretty ineffective today.

Hallberg – Another one off the boil and his seventy odd minutes on the park were peppered with silly mistakes.

Allan – This was not vintage Scott Allan, far from it but I credit him with his high work rate and that’s not something I can do for many of his fellow players.

Horgan – I’d love to know what Daryl does in training that makes the manager give him a starting berth. Apart from buzzing about, I’m at a loss as to what he’s trying to do half the time.

Boyle – I suppose you could argue that his team mates hardly gave him the ball but the bottom line today was that Boyler was peripheral throughout.

Doidge – I reckon Lamie and Guthrie will sleep easy tonight because the big fella gave them an easy ride this afternoon. He worked hard but that’s about it.

Shaw – Got twenty five minutes but had very little impact on the game. I feel his lack of playing time has worked against him.

Murray – Fraser also got twenty five minutes and tried to get Hibs going but it was a lost cause as his team mates were clearly not up for it.

Newell – Like Shaw and Murray he tried to inject some desire into a Hibs side sadly lacking but to no avail.

Jack Ross – I didn’t hear his after match interview but I can’t imagine he had very much to say in a positive sense.

The fans – A brilliant support in terms of numbers but as the team gave us little to shout about we were quiet for the most part.

Euan Anderson – Star of the show, at least in his own head. He whistled for fouls that many times that he made a poor game even worse.

skyhibs
29-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Not many pass marks today.... just seemed to be not interested.... time for shaw and Newell to be removed from the wage bill. Lewis the legend should be replaced and while we are at it get Horgan on that list too.... at least that’s a start

Kojock
29-12-2019, 07:37 PM
An abysmal performance from start to finish only matched by the second half in Dingwall. Lot of work to be done.

Mick O'Rourke
29-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Jonny
Thanks for all your match reports so far this term.
Ill health has prevented me attending games this season.
Enjoy your winter break
See ye at the back of the goals (hopefully) soon

Happy New Year

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Many thanks for posting Jonnyboy

I look forward to reading your match reports in 2020

Happy New Year

Smartie
29-12-2019, 07:40 PM
I thought we were garbage today. Whilst many of the performances under Hecky weren’t good enough, most of them were of the “meh” variety and that today was just hopeless. In many ways it is useful for the squad to remind Ross how far we are from being the finished article so he can be in little doubt that work is needed in January.

I watched the game from a different angle to usual today (row E, by the corner flag) and you get a different perspective of the game. I was expecting Lewis Stevenson to be coming in for some criticism this evening but I was struck by how difficult it was for him in that second half - very few/ no options when in possession whilst being constantly pressed by Livi players. We need much more from our midfield and forward players, even if it some questionable defending that was our undoing today.

Really poor stuff.

Billy Whizz
29-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Jonny
Enjoy your winter break

Happy New Year

Hope you’re on the mend MO, but JB’s reports are usually spot on
Hope you get back to see Hibs soon!

Alfred E Newman
29-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Shaw and Murray were poor when they came on but they were no worse than most of their more experienced team mates.

Mick O'Rourke
29-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Hope you’re on the mend MO, but JB’s reports are usually spot on
Hope you get back to see Hibs soon!

Thank You, Billy.
Yes, i look forward to his reports,and most of the comments thereafter would suggest his reporting is as many others see it.
Fair ..to the point... and unbiased

Happy New Year !

Bostonhibby
29-12-2019, 08:45 PM
The high of the Tynecastle win was still fresh in my mind as I travelled to the Tony Macaroni Arena this afternoon, but I was mindful of the fact that such a result counts for less if it’s followed up by a defeat. We lost, played pitifully and missed out on a glorious chance to narrow the gap on both Aberdeen and Motherwell who both lost points.

The blame game is an easy one to play but I don’t intend to go down that road too much as it is a pointless exercise at the end of the day. The weather was rubbish, the pitch is a disgrace, the referee was biased etc., etc., are words that I’ll no doubt read on the messageboard but the bottom line to me is that Livingston were better organised, hungrier for the points and seemed fitter than Hibs. That first point is factual whilst the second and third are surely hard to argue against given how the match panned out.

Jack Ross went with the same starting eleven he’d fielded for the derby whilst on the bench there were places for David Gray and Steven Whittaker with Mallan and Jackson dropping out; perhaps due to injury but in truth I’m not sure. The players would have to be at it from the off because Livi are a fine team at home, conceding only five goals prior to this visit from Hibs.

From the off it seemed that Hibs’ answer to the swirling wind conditions was to go high and long in hoping to find the Livi defenders struggling with the flight of the ball. It didn’t work although it was from a Marciano clearance that Boyle managed to control well but his shot at goal was weak. That effort apart, playing the ball on the deck was virtually non-existent from a Hibs perspective as Livi made better use of the ball by keeping it low and passing through our midfield.

I think it’s fair to say that the hosts were dominant throughout and might have taken a first half lead when Lawson unleashed an effort that Marciano stopped but couldn’t hold. Thankfully, Paul Hanlon was on hand to clear the danger. In a rare bit of flowing football, Doidge raced into the Livi box but his left foot shot from around fifteen yards flew over the bar. Marciano then saved from Lamie before uncharacteristic slack play from McGregor almost allowed Dykes to run through on goal.

It had been a very disappointing performance in the first half and I hoped that Jack Ross would have encouraging words to offer his players at half time. Surprisingly, there were no substitutions made even although the likes of Horgan and Boyle had offered little or nothing in an attacking sense. When the second half started it looked for a minute or two as though Hibs were going to make a better fist of things but that proved to be a false dawn, although Hallberg should have done much better than sending a shot well over the bar when nobody had come to shut him down.

Around the hour mark the hosts took a deserved lead when Hibs failed to clear a corner, the ball bounced around in the six yard box and Guthrie hustled it over the line. Shocking defending akin to that you might witness in a public park on a Sunday.

Any hope that this might galvanise Hibs into action was a forlorn one as the pattern of the game was unaltered. When a Livi man had the ball he was given time and space to play it whereas a Hibs man with the ball was quickly surrounded and dispossessed. The Livi fitness levels are to be complimented given that they performed that way for the entire ninety minutes.

Five minutes after going behind, Jack Ross tried to change things up by replacing the ineffective Scott Allan and even more ineffective Daryl Horgan with Oli Shaw and Fraser Murray. Sadly there was no obvious improvement and indeed the hosts soon doubled their lead when a poor attempted clearance reached Lawson on the right and the Livi man delivered a fine cross into the area whereupon Marciano stayed rooted to the spot and McGregor allowed Guthrie to get the better of him as he headed into the net.

There was a fantastic support in Livingston today, at least in terms of numbers but we were oh so quiet, allowing the fifty or so Livi youngsters to sing their way through the afternoon with little or no competition.

As the game petered out, Livi sought out a third goal and only a last ditch challenge from Stevenson stopped Dykes from scoring it.

What have we learned from today’s performance? We need to up the desire to win level dramatically; we need to match or better the fitness of our opponents; we need to accept that one or two of our regular starters need to either ship up or shape out.

Oh …. No man of the match for me today as not one of them did anything worthy of special mention.

The players

Marciano – Rocky had a couple of decent saves but given that both goals conceded were to a player in our own six yard box we maybe need to question why he wasn’t out there smothering or punching the ball away.

Naismith – Today was not a good day at the office for Jason. He struggled with the flight of the ball both before and after the break and offered next to nothing going forward.

McGregor – As immense as he was at Tynecastle he struggled today against a striker (Dykes) who used his physicality well and perhaps more importantly stayed on his feet.

Hanlon – Another who struggled with the flight of the ball he was guilty on a couple of occasions in letting a high ball bounce rather than attacking it. That invariably gives the attacking player an advantage and that’s what happened today.

Stevenson – Lewis was not at his best and found Lawson of Livi a difficult opponent but as is always the case with Lewis he gave it everything until the end, some of his team mates did not.

Slivka – I read on here that he’s too inconsistent and today’s performance kinda cements that view. I thought he did well against Hearts but was pretty ineffective today.

Hallberg – Another one off the boil and his seventy odd minutes on the park were peppered with silly mistakes.

Allan – This was not vintage Scott Allan, far from it but I credit him with his high work rate and that’s not something I can do for many of his fellow players.

Horgan – I’d love to know what Daryl does in training that makes the manager give him a starting berth. Apart from buzzing about, I’m at a loss as to what he’s trying to do half the time.

Boyle – I suppose you could argue that his team mates hardly gave him the ball but the bottom line today was that Boyler was peripheral throughout.

Doidge – I reckon Lamie and Guthrie will sleep easy tonight because the big fella gave them an easy ride this afternoon. He worked hard but that’s about it.

Shaw – Got twenty five minutes but had very little impact on the game. I feel his lack of playing time has worked against him.

Murray – Fraser also got twenty five minutes and tried to get Hibs going but it was a lost cause as his team mates were clearly not up for it.

Newell – Like Shaw and Murray he tried to inject some desire into a Hibs side sadly lacking but to no avail.

Jack Ross – I didn’t hear his after match interview but I can’t imagine he had very much to say in a positive sense.

The fans – A brilliant support in terms of numbers but as the team gave us little to shout about we were quiet for the most part.

Euan Anderson – Star of the show, at least in his own head. He whistled for fouls that many times that he made a poor game even worse.Cheers JB[emoji106]

As depressing as it sounded on the radio. It's Hibs, a 50 odd year old broken record[emoji6]

Have a good New Year, keep the reports coming.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
29-12-2019, 09:01 PM
Jonny
Enjoy your winter break

Happy New Year

You're welcome, Mick

Good health soon my friend :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
29-12-2019, 09:24 PM
I don't get to many away games these days, today was an exception and I was fair looking forward to a ground I haven't visited before.

What a *****g let down, Hibs were utterly rank from start to finish and absolutely nobody gets a pass mark for what was an utterly abject performance. They have a few weeks off now and more than one of them had better spend a fair chunk of it looking in the mirror because that was absolutely unacceptable ... made even worse by the fact that every result went our way.

Typical Hibs after getting a result that should have had everybody up for it to screw it up .... *****' raging to be honest !!!

Hi Heid Yin
29-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Thanks for another honest write-up jonnyboy.
This made painful reading...but I'm sure not as painful as it was to watch for those fellow Hibbies who made it through to the game.

ddoc
29-12-2019, 10:10 PM
I don't get to many away games these days, today was an exception and I was fair looking forward to a ground I haven't visited before.

What a *****g let down, Hibs were utterly rank from start to finish and absolutely nobody gets a pass mark for what was an utterly abject performance. They have a few weeks off now and more than one of them had better spend a fair chunk of it looking in the mirror because that was absolutely unacceptable ... made even worse by the fact that every result went our way.

Typical Hibs after getting a result that should have had everybody up for it to screw it up .... *****' raging to be honest !!!

I dragged myself out of bed at 1.30am to listen to the game on Hibs TV. What a waste of some precious sleep time seeing I leave for work at 4.30am. But to be honest the result, and the performance, did not particularly surprise me, been there to often in over 50 years of supporting Hibs.
It is like they all gave themselves a pat on the back for a job well done against Hearts, and well it's only Livingston.
Everyone knows that they are a tough team to get a result against at their home ground, as a general rule. I have not seen the game, and can only go by what I heard, but it was dire. If any player got a score above 3/10 I would be surprised.
Regardless of what JR does in the transfer market in the coming month the one thing he has to get is some consistency in our 'team' performance. Every player can have an off day, but the the whole, or majority, of the team to put in a performance such as this, and in other games before today, is just unacceptable.
There are so many games this season, so far, where I expected us to come away with a result, and we failed miserably.
I still reckon we will get a top 6 finish, but a Euro spot is beyond us this season.

roo62
29-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Spot on. That's how I saw it and feel too. You would be embarrassed if you put in a days work like the team today. Totally unprofessional performance and those that witnessed it or should I say suffered through it should be entitled to a refund. One step forward one step back at the minute. Not seeing much progress I have to say.

jacomo
29-12-2019, 10:26 PM
Thanks again JB. You endured a torrid afternoon for us!

wookie70
29-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Just watched the highlights. They make us look better than we were.

Hanlon loses his man for the first but most Keepers punch the ball away easily and wouldn't need their defenders dealing with it. Rocky error in my book.

The second goal features playground defending from a much too eager Fraser Murray allowing time for a good cross to be put in. Then McGregor is beaten in the air with a hint of a climb from the scorer. I think Maxwell might have come and got a fist on the ball as it came from a long way out and the header was only 8 yards out. Rocky was glued on his line. For all those that say Rocky would save some of the shots Maxwell hasn't I think you also have to look at the crosses that become dangerous because Rocky is glued to his line. Time for Bogdan to get signed for the season at least and give us the best of all worlds.

Bradford
30-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Many thanks JB for another fine and comprehensive match report. I went to my first Hibs game in 1963 so as others have said a result like this comes as no surprise. I have spent most of my adult life down south and rely on the Net for most of my information. Your comments are an oasis of calm and reason compared to some of the more "excitable" posts on here. I have given up the live match thread which gets a bit toxic at times.

Keep up the good work and all the best to you and yours for 2020.

On another topic I have a season ticket at my local club Bradford City. Yesterday we played Mansfield and the legend that is Conrad was in goal for them. City won 2-0 but he had no chance with the goals as they were both penalties. Great to see him live in action though.

PeeJay
30-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Another good report that sums up the awful game I listened to on Hibs TV. Can only hope that 2020 rings in a few changes for the good ... for all our sakes (not your reports, the team performances...) :greengrin

Unseen work
30-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Another mistake from Marciano, makes far too many for my liking.