PDA

View Full Version : Points gained since Hecky got punted.

The 90+2
29-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Would anyone have grumbled when Hecky got punted about the league position we find ourselves in at the turn of the year? December was always going to be extremely difficult and that was highlighted when the fixture list came out.

Yes we need changes and new players in but I would say we’ve definitely exceeded expectations with what looked an extremely critical situation in October.

Chin up, ggtth.

Hermit Crab
29-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Would anyone have grumbled when Hecky got punted about the league position we find ourselves in at the turn of the year? December was always going to be extremely difficult and that was highlighted when the fixture list came out.

Yes we need changes and new players in but I would say we’ve definitely exceeded expectations with what looked an extremely critical situation in October.

Chin up, ggtth.

Watching that today you’d think Hecky was still in charge!!

Unseen work
29-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Absolutely.

The fans and Jack Ross are under no illusions of what we need to improve imo.

Considering the squad we have and the lack of options I think we’ve done well to pick up the points we have.

Lee Marvin
29-12-2019, 05:10 PM

Here comes the Grinch, right on que!

Ross OOOOT. He is obviously clueless as nobody loses and plays poorly at Livi.

hibby rae
29-12-2019, 05:38 PM

Chin up, ggtth.

Yep I agree. If you'd offered me top 6 going into the split, only off 5th on goal difference, with Hearts being 5 points adrift at the bottom. I'd have taken your hand off.

Brightside
29-12-2019, 05:40 PM
There hasn’t been a huge performance change since jack came in. We’ve had the rub of the green much more. Still lots to change.

Baldy Foghorn
29-12-2019, 05:41 PM

He is correct though

we are hibs
29-12-2019, 05:42 PM
There hasn’t been a huge performance change since jack came in. We’ve had the rub of the green much more. Still lots to change.

At no point under heckingbottom did we ever play as well as we did v motherwell in the first 60 and aberdeen 2nd half.

But we do have a real problem playing well for 90 minutes. Can someone genuinely tell me when weve had 2 good halves of football recently? We either start slowly and grow into the game or start well and start to sit back as it goes on. It needs addressing

Dmas
29-12-2019, 05:44 PM

As bad a hibs performance there’s been this season IMO honking to a man.

Hibby Bairn
29-12-2019, 05:49 PM
When Heckingbottom was sacked 55 days ago and ten games ago we were 1 point off the bottom with 9 points from 11 games (0.8 per game).

In the 10 games since (not all JR) we have gained 16 points or 1.6 per game.

We are now 6th (joint 5th) and are 12 points away from the bottom club.

So. Crap result today but definite improvement.

The 90+2
29-12-2019, 05:50 PM

Performances like that happen though mate, it’s not good but not unexpected either. There’s been major signs of positivity since Hecky got the boot and now we have the window to make changes very safe from the bottom of the table (12 points Jambo *******s). Something that I didn’t expect in October.

The 90+2
29-12-2019, 05:50 PM

So it’s just luck? 🙄🙄

The 90+2
29-12-2019, 05:51 PM
When Heckingbottom was sacked 55 days ago and ten games ago we were 1 point off the bottom with 9 points from 11 games (0.8 per game).

In the 10 games since (not all JR) we have gained 16 points or 1.6 per game.

We are now 6th (joint 5th) and are 12 points away from the bottom club.

So. Crap result today but definite improvement.

The vital thing here is before Hecky got sacked there was no way we would or could see ourselves in the position we are in now.

Heisenberg
29-12-2019, 05:52 PM

We’ve performed well in games vs Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hearts (first half mainly but defended well second). I don’t see us beating any of those teams with Hecky in charge and none of them were down to luck or rub of the green. Rode our luck vs St Mirren and been ***** vs the old firm and Livingston/County.

wookie70
29-12-2019, 05:53 PM
I think we would be in a similar position of Heck was still here. It isn't good enough bit you can see why with the mess the squad was when Lennon left. Heck needed to do more to strengthen the middle of the Park and that proved to be his downfall. I'd be buying two mobile tacklers for the middle of the Park and a striker that runs the channels.

Jumbo

I said that in Dingwall at start of month

Kojock

Don’t know why you’re having a go at the Crab Boy we were pathetic today as we were in Dingwall and he’s quite right in saying it was like Hecky was still in charge. The guys a massive Hibby who I met both in Dingwall and today.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2019, 05:54 PM
We've been inconsistent under Ross. Under Heckingbottom, this season, we were just consistently crap.

He's inherited a squad that needs a lot of work and improved just about everything that is quantifiable and measurable: league position, goals scored, points per game......

Under the previous manager I was genuinely concerned we could be relegated, with good reason given the position we were in and our complete inability to win games. That's no longer the case. Barring a miracle this is going down as another disappointing season but, this time barring a disaster, Ross has a free pass from me until about this time next year. He inherited a mess and has improved it.

hibby rae
29-12-2019, 05:54 PM
As bad a hibs performance there’s been this season IMO honking to a man.

Tbf though, the first half was a fairly even affiar but I thought Livi played really well in the second half.

wookie70
29-12-2019, 05:56 PM
We’ve performed well in games vs Aberdeen, Motherwell and Hearts (first half mainly but defended well second). I don’t see us beating any of those teams with Hecky in charge and none of them were down to luck or rub of the green. Rode our luck vs St Mirren and been ***** vs the old firm and Livingston/County. We should have beat Aberdeen away very comfortably and we beat Hearts in last year's away Derby under Heck. We were good against Motherwell bit they were by far the better. Side for long periods. The biggest change for me since Heck left has been a run of the green and a little more effort from the players. That effort wasn't evident today

green with envy
29-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Yep I agree. If you'd offered me top 6 going into the split, only off 5th on goal difference, with Hearts being 5 points adrift at the bottom. I'd have taken your hand off.

Me too. Said the very same on the way to the car after the game.

Kojock
29-12-2019, 06:08 PM
We had one shot on target today and even that was a feeble attempt. Is that any improvement from Hecky

Onion
29-12-2019, 06:08 PM
No question we are better off with Jack Ross. Excited at the prospect of him being able to bring in a few players to change the set up and style of Hibs play. JR has done well with what most fans accepted were a bunch of duds. Almost to man, Hibs fans accepted that last summer's signings were horrific... but Ross has managed somehow to squeeze out wins against Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hearts. In Oct, no one would have predicted that. The future is bright.

The 90+2
29-12-2019, 06:19 PM
We had one shot on target today and even that was a feeble attempt. Is that any improvement from Hecky

That’s one match in isolation though. Over a period of tome I don’t think we would be anywhere near the points total we have if he was still in charge.

Dom'sFirstTouch
29-12-2019, 06:26 PM
We've definitely improved - unfortunately just from rubbish to average. Then again, we've beaten Motherwell and Aberdeen at home so can't be too far away. Looking at our home games in the run up to the split, there's still a shot at a decent finish with the right additions (tricky in January though).

Heisenberg
29-12-2019, 06:33 PM
That’s one match in isolation though. Over a period of tome I don’t think we would be anywhere near the points total we have if he was still in charge.

Exactly. Hecky was a disaster and made up a squad of players scared of their own shadows. His teams had no belief, fight or skill. Ross has turned us into a mid-table ish team who badly need a revamp. Better than heading for the Championship with Hecky.

McInnes might be struggling now but I’m sure when he went into Aberdeen at first it took a while for him to build his squad and get them going. Ross hopefully gets that time with us instead of people losing the place every time we don’t win.

Fair enough rip into Ross when he’s had a fair chance but not now.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2019, 06:34 PM
Since Ross took charge:

P - 9
W - 4
D - 1
L - 4
GF - 13
GA - 13
GD - 0
Points - 13

Heckys last 9 league games:

P - 9
W - 0
D - 6
L - 3
GF - 8
GA - 14
GD - -6
Points - 6

More than double the points, more goals scored, less goals conceded. That's down to more than 'luck'. We have improved. There are still bad days at the office, there is still a lot of work to do but we have a better manager now than we had prior to mid November. The things that matter, points and wins, back that up.

Hermit Crab
29-12-2019, 06:41 PM

We had 0 shots on target v Celtic and only 1 on target v Rangers and only 3 on target away to Ross County, all under JR. 0 points from them all.

gazzag70
29-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Jack Ross has improved us,no doubt at all. I for one am convinced we have the right man at the helm( hopefully for a good period of time). Once he has added a few of his own players into the mix I am sure we will be more consistent.

Kojock
29-12-2019, 06:50 PM

It’s not just one match. Celtic and Rangers ripped us a new one and we never laid a glove on them. 2nd half at Dingwall was the worse 45 minutes we have played in a long time. We beat a pathetic Hear7s team. Time will tell.

The 90+2
29-12-2019, 06:52 PM
We had 0 shots on target v Celtic and only 1 on target v Rangers and only 3 on target away to Ross County, all under JR. 0 points from them all.

What did you expect with such a weak squad that had us sitting just off the bottom, crumbling every week? Ross has done good enough with this bunch that drew at Stirling and struggled against Morton.

Kojock
29-12-2019, 06:52 PM

You’re spot on, we had one feeble attempt on target today but hey ho everything’s great as we beat a p15h Hearts team.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2019, 06:55 PM
You’re spot on, we had one feeble attempt on target today but hey ho everything’s great as we beat a p15h Hearts team.

I don't think a single person has argued that 'things are great'. There's a pretty clear consensus we are still a million miles away from where we all want to be.

In the 9 games since Ross took charge we have won more, scored more, conceded less and gained more points than the final 9 games Heckingbottom overseen. That's an improvement however it's spun.

Heisenberg
29-12-2019, 06:55 PM

Not one person is saying everything is great ffs 😂 People are quite rightly saying that we have improved (which is clear to see) but there is still plenty room for further improvement after the squad is amended over the next few weeks.

We’ll win some and lose some with this squad of players. They aren’t consistent. We’ve only had one consistent quality side this decade and that only lasted for a few months.

gazzag70
29-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Chin up, ggtth.

Totally agree and I am positive Jack Ross will continue to improve us over the next couple of transfer windows.

jacomo
29-12-2019, 08:49 PM
I feel much, much more positive with Jack Ross at the wheel.

Stuart93
29-12-2019, 08:58 PM

What a strange post. Absolute no-ones said everything’s great.

jacomo
29-12-2019, 10:25 PM
What a strange post. Absolute no-ones said everything’s great.

Indeed. The summer transfer window was a mess. JR has got a tune out of a few players who were previously misfiring or not getting a look in, but there is still work to be done.

Positives are that we are back in the top six and January is around the corner. Oh, and we beat Hearts.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Ross has won more games with Heckingbottom’s squad than Heckingbottom was able to win with them. We’re definitely better, the league table shows that. Half the games have been dire, half of them have been good.

We’re still miles away from being a good side but he needs to sort the squad out before we can judge him. We had three right backs on the bench today, shambles.

Since452
29-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Jack Ross has come in and took a beleaguered squad to some impressive wins and some predictable befeats. January has probably come as a huge sigh of relief to everyone at Hibs

The 90+2
29-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Ross has won more games with Heckingbottom’s squad than Heckingbottom was able to win with them. We’re definitely better, the league table shows that. Half the games have been dire, half of them have been good.

We’re still miles away from being a good side but he needs to sort the squad out before we can judge him. We had three right backs on the bench today, shambles.

Fantastic points.

Ross is the man. Definitely.

mjhibby
30-12-2019, 12:23 AM

Indeed. Ross has been diplomatic regards the team but I'm sure he's looking at getting at least three players in. He said he was looking at two midfielders to let hallberg play further forward and I would think another striker as well. He wheeled and dealed at at st mirrren in his first transfer window and I suspect he'll have at least three players coming in. I'm sure he's fully aware about our squad shortcomings.

Beefster
30-12-2019, 06:49 AM

Yup. Since before he was appointed, some posters have been positioning themselves to be first on the ‘I always said Ross was pish’ bus when he has his first bad spell. Best ignored IMHO.

Stuart93
30-12-2019, 07:34 AM
Yup. Since before he was appointed, some posters have been positioning themselves to be first on the ‘I always said Ross was pish’ bus when he has his first bad spell. Best ignored IMHO.

Yep. It’s clear that JR has done a lot better with this squad than Hecky managed not sure how it’s even an argument

Not In The Know
30-12-2019, 07:38 AM
It just shows how bad a team hecky assembled. There’s a lot of work to do and Ross is the man for the job.

Ronniekirk
30-12-2019, 09:56 AM
We should have beat Aberdeen away very comfortably and we beat Hearts in last year's away Derby under Heck. We were good against Motherwell bit they were by far the better. Side for long periods. The biggest change for me since Heck left has been a run of the green and a little more effort from the players. That effort wasn't evident today

I was surprised by how lacklustre we were yesterday We never looked capable of winning the game and when we conceded the first goal it had been coming and the players just seemed to accept it and was no surprise they got a second
It’s the fact teams with small supports and far less resources than us can put together teams that out fight and out perform us that’s hard to take
Yet it happens time and time again
New Manger at least will know now what needs to be done over the next two transfer windows .
It will take an exceptional Transfer window to get us challenging for fourth place as long as we see gradual improvement we may need to be patient and push on properly next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AltheHibby
30-12-2019, 10:51 AM
So, our new manager has started off with much better results than our old. And many of us aren't happy.

Meanwhile, across the road they are chanting his name for getting 1 point from 15, with 4 of those matches at home. And he currently has them 5 points adrift.

It may not be perfect at ER right now, but at least we're heading in the right direction, so let's be grateful for small mercies.

H18S NX
30-12-2019, 11:33 AM
So, our new manager has started off with much better results than our old. And many of us aren't happy.

Meanwhile, across the road they are chanting his name for getting 1 point from 15, with 4 of those matches at home. And he currently has them 5 points adrift.

It may not be perfect at ER right now, but at least we're heading in the right direction, so let's be grateful for small mercies....Nailed it m8:aok::top marks

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Chin up, ggtth.

Check the first response.

Dashing Bob S
30-12-2019, 11:39 AM
It’s obvious that we aren’t particularly brilliant. You just need to look at the table and results pre Ross to see that.

It’s equally obvious that Ross has played a blinder, motivated the players, got them organized and onside. Again, consult results and table.

It’s just as apparent that we need to continue to improve and change some of the personnel to develop and rebuild. Anybody who thinks that Ross doesn’t realize this while they are exclusively privy to the knowledge from the stands is frankly an idiot. As are those for think him publicly berating players is going to result in improved performance from them. Yes such people are good at tediously ‘speaking their minds’ from the stands. Which is why we are in the stands rather than the dressing room.

I don’t know why we’re even arguing about this. He’s doing well and he’ll continue to improve us. Yes, we’ll have the odd shocker like Rangers or Livy but if you’re too sensitive a soul to handle those from time to time you probably shouldn’t be supporting any football team, let alone Hibs.

The Modfather
30-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Not all that unsurprising given it’s Heckingbottoms squad and the exact same limitations.

As others have pointed out it’s tough to make any kind of argument that we haven’t improved under Ross. Goals, scored, goals conceded, points and league position. Ross has a massive rebuild on his hands and I hope he is given the time by some to do this.

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 11:46 AM

I don’t know why we’re even arguing about this. He’s doing well and he’ll continue to improve us. Yes, we’ll have the odd shocker like Rangers or Livy but if you’re too sensitive a soul to handle those from time to time you probably shouldn’t be supporting any football team, let alone Hibs.

The problem is that there are quite clearly a few sensitive souls on here, or people that are determined to see only the negatives, no matter what.

The OP's question was whether we have improved, even slightly, since Hecky has left. With exactly the same players, we have improved... from being a bottom of the table team to a mid-table, average side. We've got a long way to go and nobody has claimed otherwise.

I sometimes wonder if some people should be discussing their issues with their therapists, instead of letting off steam on here.

The 90+2
30-12-2019, 11:48 AM
Check the first response.

Och, HC is still raging we didn’t appoint Davie Moyes.

Keith_M
30-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Och, HC is still raging we didn’t appoint Davie Moyes.

He's STILL not got over that?

:faf:

basehibby
30-12-2019, 03:56 PM

The very same pish Hearts team that beat us at ER not so long ago.

It is a pile of drivel to claim that any improvement has been purely down to luck under Ross. He has set the team up differently - usually with two up top which Heck refused to do - and they have gone about their business with an air of certainty and confidence which was previously absent under PH. Of course there is still plenty room for improvement and JR is not the messiah - no need for the gratuitous doom-mongering though.

Kojock
30-12-2019, 04:14 PM
The very same pish Hearts team that beat us at ER not so long ago.

It is a pile of drivel to claim that any improvement has been purely down to luck under Ross. He has set the team up differently - usually with two up top which Heck refused to do - and they have gone about their business with an air of certainty and confidence which was previously absent under PH. Of course there is still plenty room for improvement and JR is not the messiah - no need for the gratuitous doom-mongering though.

We were lucky to win against St Mirren, lost a two goal lead at home to Kille. We were pathetic against Ross County, Celtic, Rangers and Livingston. Played well against Aberdeen who we should've beat at Pittodrie as well and beat a poor Hearts team. Yes there's a slight improvement but JR has inherited a poor squad of players and has a lot of work to do.

calumhibee1
30-12-2019, 06:49 PM
We were lucky to win against St Mirren, lost a two goal lead at home to Kille. We were pathetic against Ross County, Celtic, Rangers and Livingston. Played well against Aberdeen who we should've beat at Pittodrie as well and beat a poor Hearts team. Yes there's a slight improvement but JR has inherited a poor squad of players and has a lot of work to do.

We were very decent against Motherwell as well.

We’re not a great side at the moment but we’re definitely better. I’d have hoped for ever so slightly more from JR because I believe we’ve got good players but bearing in mind where we started on he’s done a decent enough job so far. The Kilmarnock, RC and Livi results and performances (especially RC and Livi) along with the old firm performances have been the big disappointments for me though.

mjhibby
30-12-2019, 08:40 PM
What is noticeable is that we are still struggling to win when games come quickly with three days between games. I've not got any stats but I can remember two or three decent performances followed up by a disappointing one three days later.
Until we sort the centre mid problem we are going to be inconsistent. An omeonga type player would solidify the midfield and protect the back four. Sort that and I'm sure we will be more consistent as the defence is having to constantly face guys who have broken through our midfield and then are being pulled around. Also a mcgoech type player will mean retaining posession better meaning fewer chances against us and hopefully more for us.
I'm sure Ross is well aware that if you get two players like that then we can win games 2-1 or 1-0 and find it easier to hold onto leads.

Iggy Pope
30-12-2019, 08:52 PM

I thought we did a good bit better than just play well against Aberdeen, we pumped them. Motherwell were battered as were St Johnstone post Hecky. If anything, the Killie game was the one we simply ‘played well’ in. If we are to become pathetic every time we get beat we shall simply have to become magnificent in victory.

ahibby
30-12-2019, 10:50 PM

Back to loaing goals after 60 minutes and in braces. Just like Hecky. Maybe there is more wrong than simply Hecky. Hopefully just a blip but we will see.

Stuart93
30-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Back to loaing goals after 60 minutes and in braces. Just like Hecky. Maybe there is more wrong than simply Hecky. Hopefully just a blip but we will see.

Of course there’s more than just Hecky. The unbalanced squad he managed to put together in the summer is a massive part of it.

ahibby
30-12-2019, 11:06 PM
Of course there’s more than just Hecky. The unbalanced squad he managed to put together in the summer is a massive part of it.

It worked alright against Hearts and defended well for final 30 minutes with only ten men against The Rangers. Also hammered Aberdeen. Granted Aberdeen were poor and Hearts currently bottom but makes me think yes players need changed to improve balance as you say but maybe problem is deeper as in coaching set up???

Kojock
31-12-2019, 05:28 AM
I thought we did a good bit better than just play well against Aberdeen, we pumped them. Motherwell were battered as were St Johnstone post Hecky. If anything, the Killie game was the one we simply ‘played well’ in. If we are to become pathetic every time we get beat we shall simply have to become magnificent in victory.

It’s not the fact that we lost it’s the manner in which we lost. We never laid a glove on either of the bigot brothers. I said at the time that the second half against County was the worse 45 minutes I had seen from Hibs in a long time and to be honest our performance against Livi was woeful. So yes I would describe these four games as pathetic from Hibs.

Keith_M
31-12-2019, 08:28 AM
It’s not the fact that we lost it’s the manner in which we lost. We never laid a glove on either of the bigot brothers. I said at the time that the second half against County was the worse 45 minutes I had seen from Hibs in a long time and to be honest our performance against Livi was woeful. So yes I would describe these four games as pathetic from Hibs.

Why do you only ever mention the bad games?

Can't you admit that we've had a mixture of good and bad?

Heisenberg
31-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Why do you only ever mention the bad games?

Can't you admit that we've had a mixture of good and bad?

Everything is bad. Ross out. We didn’t have as many shots on target against the OF as we should have. Booooooooo!!!

Kojock
31-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Everything is bad. Ross out. We didn’t have as many shots on target against the OF as we should have. Booooooooo!!!

Yawn 🥱

Keith_M
31-12-2019, 09:30 AM
Yawn 🥱

That's exactly how a lot of us feel when we read relentlessly negative comments.... usually from the same small group of posters.

Balance is no bad thing, you know.