PDA

View Full Version : Keeper

Weegreenman
28-12-2019, 08:12 AM
After the Rangers debacle I think most of us were agreed we’d had enough of Marciano.
Brave decision from JR to keep him in I thought.

However he made a tremendous save from Meshino which helped keep our noses in front.

Well done Ofir, keep up the good work and you’ll get my 100% backing 👏👏👏

JimBHibees
28-12-2019, 08:13 AM
Good management I think.

FilipinoHibs
28-12-2019, 08:25 AM
Good all round performance. Good concentration. Distribution and kicking much improved - must have worked on that. Was a big critic but great to see his complete display.

Frazerbob
28-12-2019, 08:30 AM
All three of our keepers are good, SPFL standard keepers. We’re lucky to have them. All three also have the odd clanger in their locker. That’s the level we’re at. We can’t go dropping them after every mistake. Keepers make mistakes and they’re usually hard to miss.

Sammy7nil
28-12-2019, 08:40 AM
After the Rangers debacle I think most of us were agreed we’d had enough of Marciano.

However he made a tremendous save from Meshino which helped keep our noses in front.

A Few of us did not :greengrin you can't keep dropping keepers for a first mistake when they have just returned to the team. If you did that every keeper would be a nervous wreck.

P.S. I am not a big fan of Rocky imho he is okay but certainly replaceable.

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2019, 08:41 AM
"had enough" after one stinker?

Definitely not. Support the guy, play him, motivate him, get him playing well again. Don't bin quality players because of a rough game.

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2019, 08:42 AM
A Few of us did not :greengrin you can't keep dropping keepers for a first mistake when they have just returned to the team. If you did that every keeper would be a nervous wreck.

P.S. I am not a big fan of Rocky imho he is okay but certainly replaceable.

Other than Bogdan Hibs haven't had a goalie his level in 15 years and not one better in 30 odd. He isn't easily replaceable at all. He is a brilliant shot stopper.

wookie70
28-12-2019, 08:44 AM
He was solid at Tiny and looked assured. That hasn't been the case for most of the season. He kicked far better and looked alert. The save he made was bread and butter and to me he made the most of it by delaying his leap. The first stop in his double save was decent. Hopefully he will keep that level of concentration for future games

Sammy7nil
28-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Other than Bogdan Hibs haven't had a goalie his level in 15 years and not one better in 30 odd. He isn't easily replaceable at all. He is a brilliant shot stopper.

Been here a 100 times i will simply agree to disagree.

Smartie
28-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Rocky's gaffe in the Rangers game put us in a difficult position. We all know he's a great shot-stopper but that mistake was a howler, totally inexcusable and at such a vital stage in the game - you just can't go giving this Rangers side a lead like that. Folk were right to be questioning whether or not he was up to playing in the derby.

None of our keepers are perfect though, so there wasn't an automatic, obvious choice to come in for him. The best we could hope for was that the mistake (and presumably some firm words) gave Rocky a jolt and pushed him on to an improved level of performance.

Fortunately for us, that was exactly what happened.

Peevemor
28-12-2019, 08:48 AM
I'm happy with all 3 goalies too, though it was noticeable at Tynie that our players almost never passed back to Rocky. Yes he's a better shot stopper than Maxwell but he definitely reduces our options when we're in possession at the back.

Just_Jimmy
28-12-2019, 08:48 AM

Well done Ofir, keep up the good work and you’ll get my 100% backing [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]I've backed him all season. I'm on record as saying he's the best keeper at Hibs and I still believe that. Bogdan is also an excellent keeper.

That shot was never going in. I mean it was on target but I never at any point felt rocky wouldn't save it. His shot stopping ability is excellent.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

GoalsMcGinley
28-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Rocky’s distribution can be woeful at times. However, he is by far and away the best we’ve had in around 20 years imo. Similar to Leighton. Incredible shot stopper but is let down by distribution. Hence why he is at Hibernian probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Been here a 100 times i will simply agree to disagree.

Who has been better? Genuinely curious. You must think we've had plenty good ones to easily replace him.

GreenOnions
28-12-2019, 09:19 AM
I like Rocky but have always thought Bogdan is a superior all-round keeper whenever I've seen him. I'd like to see Bogdan on a long term deal.

Sammy7nil
28-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Who has been better? Genuinely curious. You must think we've had plenty good ones to easily replace him.

As I said been here before I think with your good self if you are that curious trawl my old posts.

Rocky is fine don't have an issue with him I supported him to retain his place, he is an okay keeper but he can be replaced.

Brightside
28-12-2019, 09:31 AM
All the keepers are decent level.

Allant1981
28-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Jim leighton came to the club in 1993 until 97 and was a better keeper, andy goram was at the club until 1991, much better keeper, nick colgan for me was as good an all round keeper as marciano, yes marciano is a better shot stopper but obviously there is much more to the role than shot stopping. Daniel Andersson was as good a keeper as marciano as well, I personally liked ben Williams as well, again not as flashy as marciano at shot stopping but a very good keeper, all in my opinion obviously and not everyone will agree

wookie70
28-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Jim leighton came to the club in 1993 until 97 and was a better keeper, andy goram was at the club until 1991, much better keeper, nick colgan for me was as good an all round keeper as marciano, yes marciano is a better shot stopper but obviously there is much more to the role than shot stopping. Daniel Andersson was as good a keeper as marciano as well, I personally liked ben Williams as well, again not as flashy as marciano at shot stopping but a very good keeper, all in my opinion obviously and not everyone will agree Those would be my thoughts too. Rocky has the ability to make fairly simple saves look spectacular. He isn't in the same class as Goram or Leighton imo and is in the same ballpark as the others mentioned. Rocky always seems to need a spark to get his season going, either competition or a mistake. The other keepers were consistently reliable.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-12-2019, 09:46 AM
All the keepers that we have are decent. I would have liked to see a really good keeper come through our own academy, but that might be a while off yet.

easty
28-12-2019, 09:54 AM
I don’t particularly rate Maxwell. I think he could be replaced fairly easily.

It’d be hard for us to get a better keeper than Rocky or Bogdan though

easty
28-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Jim leighton came to the club in 1993 until 97 and was a better keeper, andy goram was at the club until 1991, much better keeper, nick colgan for me was as good an all round keeper as marciano, yes marciano is a better shot stopper but obviously there is much more to the role than shot stopping. Daniel Andersson was as good a keeper as marciano as well, I personally liked ben Williams as well, again not as flashy as marciano at shot stopping but a very good keeper, all in my opinion obviously and not everyone will agree

Ben Williams was never as good as rocky

FilipinoHibs
28-12-2019, 10:01 AM

Colgan was terrible. Sauzee as sweeper told him what to do. When Sauzee stopped playing he was completely lost.

Allant1981
28-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Colgan was terrible. Sauzee as sweeper told him what to do. When Sauzee stopped playing he was completely lost.

That's your opinion, I liked colgan. Also capped 10 times for ireland when he was with us so clearly not terrible

Since452
28-12-2019, 10:02 AM
"had enough" after one stinker?

Definitely not. Support the guy, play him, motivate him, get him playing well again. Don't bin quality players because of a rough game.

More than one. He was dropped by Hecky for his poor performances. Initially I thought his save in the derby was for the cameras but watching it again it was very good. He made a double save in the 2nd half which surprised me as the ball was going out. I was pleased with him though.

Allant1981
28-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Yes he was, William's was a good all round keeper, again not as flashy as marciano but let's face it, apart from his shot stopping the other parts of his game are not great

calumhibee1
28-12-2019, 10:12 AM

:agree:

If rocky could kick he’d be nowhere near Hibs. He’s a great goalie other than that and it’s a flaw well worth persisting with due to his shot stopping.

FilipinoHibs
28-12-2019, 10:18 AM
That's your opinion, I liked colgan. Also capped 10 times for ireland when he was with us so clearly not terrible

3 caps at Hibs. Came on a late sub to get some game time, was third choice back up for Ireland. Career fell away after Sauzee. In last season we loaned him out he was that good. Then played for a series of lower league teams in England. At the time he was here I sat behind the goals in the Famous 5 and heard all Sauzee's directions. Still very hesitant at cross balls that cost us a lot of goals versus old firm in particular.

SquashedFrogg
28-12-2019, 10:20 AM

When you say 'most' of us agreed. Do you really mean 'some'?

I'd agree he never covered himself in glory that night. But prefer to look at his Hibs career as a whole.

Agree though. Was rock solid on Thursday.

Vault Boy
28-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Good management I think.

Correct. Big decision to make and paid off massively for both the match and Rocky's confidence.

Allant1981
28-12-2019, 10:24 AM
3 caps at Hibs. Came on a late sub to get some game time, was third choice back up for Ireland. Career fell away after Sauzee. In last season we loaned him out he was that good. Then played for a series of lower league teams in England. At the time he was here I sat behind the goals in the Famous 5 and heard all Sauzee's directions. Still very hesitant at cross balls that cost us a lot of goals versus old firm in particular.

Marciano has not played at a higher level than hibs yet so let's see where he ends up, hopefully for us it's at a higher level and we get a decent fee, Apologies it was 3 times but another 7 at these so called lower level teams, so marciano is also very hesitant at cross balls, his kicking is horrendous, defence quite often looked more comfortable when he was dropped for bogdan and then maxwell, again marciano is a good flashy shot stopper but let's not pretend that he is an excellent keeper, he is a good scottish premier league keeper but possibly not even the best at the club, again all in my opinion

Weegreenman
28-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Marciano has not played at a higher level than hibs yet so let's see where he ends up, hopefully for us it's at a higher level and we get a decent fee, Apologies it was 3 times but another 7 at these so called lower level teams, so marciano is also very hesitant at cross balls, his kicking is horrendous, defence quite often looked more comfortable when he was dropped for bogdan and then maxwell, again marciano is a good flashy shot stopper but let's not pretend that he is an excellent keeper, he is a good scottish premier league keeper but possibly not even the best at the club, again all in my opinion

We all know Ofir’s weaknesses but I think he can improve. Let’s give him our 100% backing and hopefully he can repay us.

Allant1981
28-12-2019, 10:36 AM
We all know Ofir’s weaknesses but I think he can improve. Let’s give him our 100% backing and hopefully he can repay us.

Dont think anyone has not given him the backing when he plays, I think he is a good keeper and think he will go to play at a higher level the scottish premier league

Weegreenman
28-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Dont think anyone has not given him the backing when he plays, I think he is a good keeper and think he will go to play at a higher level the scottish premier league

Ye I know that but he got absolute pelters after the Rangers game from most people, myself included.
A lot of us wanted him out but now that JR has stuck by him, I’m happy to give him my backing. Needs to cut out the mistakes though.

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2019, 06:11 PM
Did not go to the game yesterday but watching the highlights Rocky is on his six yard line for the first and the ball is bobbling about on the goalline before it is eventually knocked over looks a total shambles

The second Rocky stays on his line but he is totally unprotected as the Livvy guy nips in front of our defence and gets a free header in 2-0

Might be worth sitting down with Bogdan in the next couple of weeks

wookie70
30-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Did not go to the game yesterday but watching the highlights Rocky is on his six yard line for the first and the ball is bobbling about on the goalline before it is eventually knocked over looks a total shambles

The second Rocky stays on his line but he is totally unprotected as the Livvy guy nips in front of our defence and gets a free header in 2-0

Might be worth sitting down with Bogdan in the next couple of weeks

I had him mostly at fault for the first - very poor and must do better for the second. If you want to have a consistent team then a consistent keeper is a must. For me Rocky is not consistent. Bogdan would be the best of the three for me and would be a great start to our winter business if we could sign him for a year or so.

BILLYHIBS
30-12-2019, 06:18 PM
I had him mostly at fault for the first - very poor and must do better for the second. If you want to have a consistent team then a consistent keeper is a must. For me Rocky is not consistent. Bogdan would be the best of the three for me and would be a great start to our winter business if we could sign him for a year or so.
:agree:

hibeerealist
30-12-2019, 07:07 PM

No top club will consider Rocky, he will not come for crosses end of. When one of your main weaknesses is (not coming for a cross) as a keeper your no very good overall. Yes, very good shot stopper, distribution/kicking?

I think Bogdan has been patient long enough give him the jersey.