PDA

View Full Version : Jack Ross

Unseen work
26-12-2019, 05:09 PM
With many of the players getting praised over the past month or so I find it fitting to give this man his own thread.

I thought before he was appointed he was the man for the job and he just keeps convincing me.

Yes we’ve had set backs - drawing to Killie from a winning position and losing to County, Rangers and Celtic. Now two of those are expected and although we can and will take points off them now and again, the balance and personnel is off to do this imo as they’re very strong.

But what he has done since he came in is brilliant imo. With a unbalanced team he has beaten Hearts, Aberdeen and Motherwell comfortable and has got us playing good football but most importantly being free and clinical in the final third.

The real positive feeling Iv got is that there is a hell of a lot more to come from his team and he will know exactly who and the type of player he wants in to improve us.

He seems to know our strengths and that’s attack being the best form of defence, no matter who or where we’ve played he’s had a go and went two up top.

Even today at 2-0 and soaking up pressure we conceded a free kick and he was urging the attackers to stay up for it and force the hearts players to come back.

He’s got players believing in themselves again and I can see a lot of guys wanting to play for him and join his hibs team.

greenlex
26-12-2019, 05:11 PM
I don’t think we win today under Hecky.

Onion
26-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Wasn't sure about him TBH, but listening/watching him before and after the match he has a cool, confident air about him without Hecky's detached, objective, analytical demeanour. (You sensed that Hecky was more interested in winning some analytical debate on TV than focusing on what needed to be done on the pitch.) Jack put the OF defeats in context and understood exactly what a derby represents without getting carried away nor thinking it's just another 3 points.

Tactics and team selection were spot on. If he can pick a player in Jan/summer, think we have a winner on our hands.

Listening to Ross v Stendal, I'm sooooo relieved we've ended up with Jack Ross. The German sounds like a lube.

1van Sprou7e
26-12-2019, 05:24 PM
He's doing well so far but too early to come to conclusions obviously

Have to say I very much like his cool and composed stature quite nice to have a manager who has no intention of putting himself in the spotlight

tonyrougier123
26-12-2019, 05:24 PM
I agree👍 he's gave us something different already in the way we approach games.

I'm looking forward to what might be some very good times under jack ross and john potter.

Billy Whizz
26-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Nice wee tweet Hibs put up about him at full time😄

CMac1988
26-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Cool, calm, collected. Seems to have the respect of the players which goes a long way before a ball is kicked.

CMac1988
26-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Nice wee tweet Hibs put up about him at full time😄

Hehe! What goes around... Up them!

https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1210204317225046016?s=19

wookie70
26-12-2019, 05:28 PM
He has done very well since arriving. He has benefited massively from Boyle being back and a bit of luck that Heck didn't carry. Stevenson and Hanlon have also came into form and we aren't losing as many stupid goals. Good set up today, good subs and we really put our bodies on the line something that wasn't always evident under Heck. He does need to look at the squad and do some wheeling and dealing as we have glaring deficiencies in the centre of the park. If those are fixed we will then have too many forward thinking midfielders.

WhileTheChief..
26-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Delighted when we appointed him and agree with the OP.

I think he gets us and will be here for quite a while. Feeling confident we’ll do well whilst he’s here.

26-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Well done to JR. Glad he chose us over them.

truehibernian
26-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Keeps things simple, minimal changes, calm and assured and keeps the players motivated and having belief in themselves and the system - that's my early assessment of him :aok: could have been tempted to drop Rocky today - and we would have seen why - but stuck with him and it proved right as RM pulled off a few very decent stops today.

We had two hard defeats against the Old Firm, and whilst he was unhappy at the levels v The Rangers, he didn't peddle rhetoric or say we were 'in the game at this point or that' like Heckingbottom - he has a subtle way of reminding the players they under-performed.

He set up the exact formation I anticipated (bar Marciano) and he sets up to win games of football, unlike PH who I always felt set up 'not to lose' - and there is a difference in mentality. Loved his pre-game press conference and his pre-game interview today - didn't look fazed, and that clearly transmitted to the players who all looked calm, relaxed and ready before kick off. Contrast that with the Hearts team and management who peddled the 'we just need a bit of luck' and you see a side (them) who clearly don't appreciate the perilous situation they're in and don't look like they have faith in the new manager of themselves. Four games in, all defeats, players dissenting and if the rumours at Tynecastle today are to be believed Whelan and a couple of others have 'jacked it'.

Oh and oor Jack has the measure of Stendel and his tabloid fabled 'pressing game' - played 3, won 2, drawn 1 - goals for 6, goals against 2 - points 7 :greengrin:aok: I like the sound of 6, 2 and 7 :wink::aok:

Fans have taken to him too which is always a bonus.

Peevemor
26-12-2019, 06:10 PM
https://youtu.be/BxnjdHFl2LY

makaveli1875
26-12-2019, 08:18 PM
As soon as it was out Sunderland were gonna fire him I wanted him at hibs. I'm glad LD/Ron didn't **** around and just went and got him

wallpaperman
26-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Great interview after the game.

Was obviously very happy, but wasn’t gloaty the way smug Levein would be after a derby victory.

I liked the way that he said they concentrated on the positive results they achieved since he came rather that dwell on the recent old firm defeats.

Very impressed with him.

Vini1875
26-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Wasn't too excited by the appointment, but he seem unflappable and has that air of knowing what he is doing. Given where our squad is, his recruitment is going to be crucial. He is growing on me no doubt about it.

jacomo
26-12-2019, 09:04 PM
I think JR is doing a fine job and seems to be a good fit for Hibs. I’m looking forward to seeing how he develops his team.

Kaff
26-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Was obviously very happy, but wasn’t gloaty the way smug Levein would be after a derby victory.

I liked the way that he said they concentrated on the positive results they achieved since he came rather that dwell on the recent old firm defeats.

Very impressed with him.

Agree, and probably why he has had the advantage of improved form of the stalwarts of the club.
Boyle is good fortune being fit for him but the others having a return to form I give Jack the credit for and why Heckingbottom was doing so badly.
Like his approach to the game

Nicho87
26-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Hopefully here for a good number of years. Can tell he owns the dressing room and players will listen to what he has to say. The funny thing is realistically both managers could have been in the opposite dugout today. Thank god we got the good guy.

The Spaceman
26-12-2019, 09:36 PM
Was delighted when we got him and I am delighted with how we are faring so far under his leadership. He is getting a lot more out of these players than Heckingbottom did and I am excited to see how we will look when one or two obvious deficiencies are plugged in January. Think we have bagged ourselves an absolute cracker here and that he will be with us for some time :aok:

Baader
26-12-2019, 10:46 PM
Really like him. Conducts himself well and commands respect. He looks the part too. Very smart. Very pleased he is Hibs manager.

Dr Jimmy
26-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Really like him. Conducts himself well and commands respect. He looks the part too. Very smart. Very pleased he is Hibs manager.

JR has borderline Mod style. Which is always a good thing.

Baader
27-12-2019, 12:48 AM
JR has borderline Mod style. Which is always a good thing.

Absolutely! Zoot suit and Ace Face. Sharp.

Hibby70
27-12-2019, 01:36 AM
Absolutely! Zoot suit and Ace Face. Sharp.

While Hearts got Space Suit and Zoot Face.

ABZHFC
27-12-2019, 10:22 AM
There’s a real, quiet dignity about the man that I absolutely love. And as others have said, bar the disappointment in Dingwall and last Friday’s abject performance, its been very good so far. Long may it continue!

Since452
27-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Sunderland still can't buy a win since he left

heid the baw
27-12-2019, 07:44 PM
He has come in and steadily picked up points with a couple of nice wins thrown in. He's not had a transfer window yet and probably does not need a significant overhaul until summer.
Definitely pass marks from me

neil7908
27-12-2019, 08:07 PM

Very impressed with him.

Speaking of Levein, where is Doctor Football? He's been awfully quiet recently and there's been very little talk of natural order

Peevemor
27-12-2019, 08:40 PM
I really like his interviews, especially post match. Stubbs' were OK, Lennon was capable of talking crap at times ("we were magnificent") and Hecky was OK but pretty guarded - also his high-press stuff was pretty baffling.

However I've found myself agreeing with everything JR says after matches and I really like his demeanor in pre-match stuff too.

Jim44
27-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Ok, there’s the language barrier, but that aside, Stendel’s whole demeanor and appearance doesn’t instil confidence. They can say all they want about him ‘coming good’ eventually but I’m confident that not a single Jambo will be satisfied with the way things are panning out.

we are hibs
27-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Done well so far. January is when the first real judgement of him will begin to be formed. We need a good window and need to address the issues that still remain. I think he and the club know what we need but its getting the correct player in with the right attitude and getting as many 1st choice targets in as possible.

Golden Bear
27-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Done well so far. January is when the first real judgement of him will begin to be formed. We need a good window and need to address the issues that still remain. I think he and the club know what we need but its getting the correct player in with the right attitude and getting as many 1st choice targets in as possible.

And having available finance of course.

Peevemor
27-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Ok, there’s the language barrier, but that aside, Stendel’s whole demeanor and appearance doesn’t instil confidence. They can say all they want about him ‘coming good’ eventually but I’m confident that not a single Jambo will be satisfied with the way things are panning out.The main problem I have with Stendel is that he's very like a bloke I know here who's a total ring piece. Honestly, the likeness is uncanny.

Borderhibbie76
28-12-2019, 07:02 AM
The main difference between Ross and Strudel is Ross has come in and made instant improvements with the squad at his disposal. Strudel has made Hertz worse than they were under Doctor Football. A near impossibly you would have thought but hes pulled it off. Baffles me that the Duncans still have faith in the guy

Eaststand
28-12-2019, 07:42 AM
The main difference between Ross and Strudel is Ross has come in and made instant improvements with the squad at his disposal. Strudel has made Hertz worse than they were under Doctor Football. A near impossibly you would have thought but hes pulled it off. Baffles me that the Duncans still have faith in the guy

You're obviously just another jealous Hobo mate.

Jack Ross isn't in demand at Octoberfest parties and is a lightweight compared to Stendel.

I've heard Stendel can sink 6 steins of lager and lick the bottom of the glass clean without coming up for a breather. His rendition of the Ooompah Ooompah Ooompah pah pah, during 'I am the music man' song goes down a treat when the trombone verse comes on too.

GGTTH

hibbydog
28-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Quite nice that when Hibs and hearts were managerless there was only like a couple of points (?) between them.

Hibs got their first choice man in within a fortnight, hearts took seven weeks and now the gap is 13 points.

And he chose us over them.

Giggle giggle

Jim44
28-12-2019, 08:50 AM

First time I’ve read that ....... :faf:

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Stendel is rapidly becoming one of my favourite people. I’m thinking of him as the hapless German guard in Hogan’s Heroes.

Vault Boy
28-12-2019, 10:16 AM
To beat Aberdeen 3-0 at home, followed soon after by a 0-2 win at Tynie is no mean feat.

Couldn't tell you the last time we'd beaten Aberdeen anywhere and Hearts away in the same season.

Good start from Jack, positivity is starting to build once again.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2019, 10:17 AM
I quite like the way he speaks, i like the way he goes about things too, he has a bit of calmness about him which i think has rubbed off on the team.

To be fair though, he had it a bit easier than many managers who come in, he had a squad of players who are not the best but were a bit better than the position they were.

Anyone would have been better than secondbottom, apart from perhaps the guy they've appointed across the road. :greengrin

Since452
28-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Ross has made a habit of schooling Stendel. All Ross has done is played the players to their strengths and given them a bit of encouragement whereas Stendel has tried square pegs in round holes and insisted on playing a high press with slow unfit players even though it's seen four defeats in a row. Stubborn and bonkers.

lord bunberry
28-12-2019, 10:30 AM
I agree. Heckingbottom done well when he first came in, but it all went wrong when he had the chance to change the personnel. I don’t think Ross will make the same mistake as he has a good knowledge of Scottish football. The last thing he needs to be doing in the January window is signing lots of players and trying to make massive changes to the team. A gradual approach of bringing in a couple of players is the way to go in this window.

RyeSloan
28-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Ross has made a habit of schooling Stendel. All Ross has done is played the players to their strengths and given them a bit of encouragement whereas Stendel has tried square pegs in round holes and insisted on playing a high press with slow unfit players even though it's seen four defeats in a row. Stubborn and bonkers.

Slightly understating the abilities of Ross there I think but in general I agree.

Ross has not tried to re-invent the wheel but also displayed some nice tactical know how as well at times. It’s not been perfect but hey it’s Hibs and we are only a half decent side rather than world beaters so it’s not going to go swimmingly every time.

Stendel comes in Heck style with ‘I play this way’ mentality (although Heck and his high press were never seen on the same pitch together!) without even knowing his squad. He then decides to play an international full back in midfield to prove his point. With the inevitable result that his teams are all over the place, esp. at the back.

A good manager knows what he has and acts accordingly and Ross has done that very well so far.

He also seems to be calm and in control, respected by the team immediately and gives balanced and honest views on our performances. Essentially he appears to be a very competent and steady manager who goes about his business in a professional manner. Long may it continue!!

Hibbyradge
28-12-2019, 10:41 AM
I was never convinced by Heckingbottom, even early on when we were winning games and finally beat hearts at the PBS. Something about him just didn't ring true.

I don't have the same reservations about JR, but I'll withhold judgement until he's had a transfer window.

However, I do think tomorrow will tell us a lot. I can't tell you the number of times Hibs have pulled off a great result only to capitulate tamely against supposed lesser opposition next time out.

If Ross can instill the right levels of desire and motivation for us to properly compete with Livingston, then it might be an indication of his ability.

we are hibs
28-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Heckingbottom was strange in that he done well when he came in with the squad he had. Didnt massively change the team on a weekly basis, players in their correct positions in the right shape to suit the players he had.

Then he brought his own players in and he played people out of position, constantly changed the team and stuck with a formation that didnt suit the players he had.

Dashing Bob S
28-12-2019, 11:14 AM
There is one man you would want in your side under pressure. It’s not slumped guy in the tracksuit flaunting his ignorance of the Scottish game while reeking of alcohol fumes. It’s the relaxed, sharp dressed mod.

jacomo
28-12-2019, 11:16 AM
Heckingbottom was strange in that he done well when he came in with the squad he had. Didnt massively change the team on a weekly basis, players in their correct positions in the right shape to suit the players he had.

Then he brought his own players in and he played people out of position, constantly changed the team and stuck with a formation that didnt suit the players he had.

I am of the view that McNulty and Omeonga had more to do with our sudden improvement in form than Hecky did.

As you say, given the opportunity to change things he only made them worse.

Since452
28-12-2019, 11:22 AM
My one concern, and I'm maybe being harsh to Ross, is reading the Sunderland fans forum a lot of them blame him for the poor signings and the state they're in now. I don't know the inner workings of their transfer policy but I'd guess that not all of those signings were down to Ross. I think Sunderland were 6th when he was sacked with a game in hand and he'd knocked two EPL sides out the cup so I think some of their criticism is harsh. They're obviously hurting.

ancient hibee
28-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Fans forums are for amusement not for information:greengrin

Since452
28-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Fans forums are for amusement not for information:greengrin

Haha true

Dom'sFirstTouch
28-12-2019, 11:41 AM
I've been very impressed so far. Undertstated, calm and authoritative. He didn't come in slavering about implementing some great philosophy from day one, but stated that his first priority was to win some games and move away from the bottom of the league. That's exactly what we've done since with 4/6 wins against non old firm teams under Ross - keep that up and we'll be competing at the right end of the league.

Since452
28-12-2019, 11:45 AM
He's an extremely articulate guy. Impressive character I must admit.

Not So Young
28-12-2019, 01:34 PM
I said he would have the players right for the derby

He knows what he is doing.

A good January window and we could should see a second half of the season that is the complete opposite of the first