PDA

View Full Version : Slivka yes or no

Pages : [1] 2

at last 61
26-12-2019, 04:43 PM
What do others see in him been here long enough for him to shine but only produced in a few games put it this how many other teams have tried to sign him from us mmmm that will be none

Walter
26-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Yes

Onceinawhile
26-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Must have taken a real effort to pull a negative out of a Derby win. Well done.

Jonnyboy
26-12-2019, 04:47 PM
What do others see in him been here long enough for him to shine but only produced in a few games put it this how many other teams have tried to sign him from us mmmm that will be none

:confused:

Strange that, I thought we won and Slivka was an integral part of that win

Sudds_1
26-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Go home and sober up...

MWHIBBIES
26-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Yeah, how many have tried to sign Boyle?

Slivka is a good player who can leave for nothing in one week. Should be offering him a new deal tonight.

Alfred E Newman
26-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Thank goodness you don't post very often if this is the best you can come up with.

CapitalGreen
26-12-2019, 04:56 PM
Yes, but thought he was poor today. He isn’t a right midfielder, his performance improved when he moved more inside as we went to 4-5-1.

Hibbyradge
26-12-2019, 04:59 PM

He's Lithuanian, but he knows how to punctuate a sentence in English. :wink:

CMac1988
26-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Staying positive he played ok today but I'd have liked to have seen more from both him and Horgan in the 2nd half. We were screaming out for a bit of composure on the ball and it wasn't until Mallan came on he made an effort to try and hold on to it to ease the pressure. Slivka is usually the player I look too to offer that but it wasn't happening for him today I'm that regard.

The Harp Awakes
26-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Yes first half and no second half. Very inconsistent in general. Definite player on his day

NAE NOOKIE
26-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Had a strange game today .. good thing, bad thing, good thing, bad thing, good thing, bad thing and on it went ... we won, so his good things outweighed his bad things. I still don't know what to make of him. If he could make it 3/4 good and 1/4 bad in every game he would be the first name on the team sheet every week.

Pretty Boy
26-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Yes for me.

If we are pushing for 3rd/4th he probably isn't a guaranteed starter but as a squad player he's a great asset to have.

He has his faults but I like him.

CloudSquall
26-12-2019, 05:16 PM
The other thread showed the difference in results between a Hallberg & Slivka CM partnership Vs anything else, on that basis alone he has his name nailed on the starting 11 sheet alongside Hallberg.

kaimendhibs
26-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Its a yes from me

Baldy Foghorn
26-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Yes. Decent player

hibbyfraelibby
26-12-2019, 05:42 PM
He has always been a Yes for me.

wookie70
Yes for me. Energetic, good on the ball and has lots of talent.

500miles
He played again and we won again. It's not a coincidence.

AndyB_70
26-12-2019, 05:43 PM
Yes yes yes

loanheadhibby
26-12-2019, 05:48 PM
No from me. Jack Ross got to be given chance to bring in better. If that means clearing out Slivka, James, Horgan etc to free up some wages, then I'd be happy to say thank you for your services.

SunshineOnLeith
26-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Some people react strangely to alcohol. Imagine getting steaming after a derby win at Tynecastle and your idea of a good time is posting a thread on Hibs.net slating one of our important players.

Each to their own, I guess.

Slivka's a baller.

The Modfather
26-12-2019, 05:55 PM
As a squad player - yes
As a first choice - no

He’s as likely to follow up a good game (like Aberdeen) with a bad game (Ross County). No consistency. He’s been here long enough to give no indications as to why that would change in the next 6months.

He gives the midfield the midfield the best balance from what is available, and I’d move a few on before him, but wouldn’t lose any sleep if we released him and used his wage for someone else.

my left peg
26-12-2019, 05:58 PM
At the moment we only have him and Hallberg that I feel we can trust to play there,this has to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheCabbage
26-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Yes

truehibernian
26-12-2019, 06:13 PM
He gives the midfield some athleticism, composure and closes down space in the central area which is a must - very little came through the middle from Hearts due to VS and Hallberg being a good unit together and holding the shape of the midfield when out of possession.

Above all I like the fact he doesn't hide or allow a misplaced pass or tackle to get to him - he simply gets on with things. He took one for the team at the right time today too and used good game intelligence at times to foul in the right areas to slow the pace down when they pressed.

Very good footballer for me :aok:

CMurdoch
26-12-2019, 06:14 PM
Ross knows his onions.
If he gives Slivka another contract I am right to rate Slivka.
If not the hibs.net folk who dont rate him are right.
I should say i am already 2 up this week given my support in the summer for putting in the new cctv system as opposed to spending it on a player or whatever else folk wanted the £100k spent on plus a wee chaser of calling the Porteous & Cosgrove red cards right.
Come on the Slivka. Not perfect but good enough for a team at our level and budget.

Sammy7nil
26-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Good squad player should not be a starter imho.

whiskyhibby
26-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Absolutely yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hillsidehibby
26-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Yes from me. I'd have him in for Mallan any day.

BILLYHIBS
26-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Yes

Tidy player

Always likely to nick a goal in big games

Besides Juve do not sign duds :greengrin

CLASS OF 72 -73
26-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Staying positive he played ok today but I'd have liked to have seen more from both him and Horgan in the 2nd half. We were screaming out for a bit of composure on the ball and it wasn't until Mallan came on he made an effort to try and hold on to it to ease the pressure. Slivka is usually the player I look too to offer that but it wasn't happening for him today I'm that regard.

Completely agree. Great determination by us today and a win is a win but the standard of football against a rank Hearts side was poor Horgan Slivka were disappointing .

PH91
26-12-2019, 07:16 PM
As a squad player - yes
As a first choice - no

He’s as likely to follow up a good game (like Aberdeen) with a bad game (Ross County). No consistency. He’s been here long enough to give no indications as to why that would change in the next 6months.

He gives the midfield the midfield the best balance from what is available, and I’d move a few on before him, but wouldn’t lose any sleep if we released him and used his wage for someone else.

I feel similarly. Happy to keep as a versatile squad player who always puts in a shift when called upon but not if it compromises getting in one or two new midfielders, which should be our priority in jan.

weecounty hibby
26-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Yes every time. Has been since he came here.

hibee_girl
26-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Yes every time. Has been since he came here.

Absolutely :agree:

Shrekko
26-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Be mad to let him go- he’s still improving.

Hermit Crab
26-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Absolutely yes!!

Smartie
26-12-2019, 10:33 PM
It’s a yes from me.

Good player, some excellent attributes.

We do need to bolster the midfield with at least ones more player who can defend, but that will be a player to have in addition to Slivka, not instead of.

Callum_62
26-12-2019, 11:17 PM
Definitely should try and extend his deal

Not flashy, no fuss, does a job, excellent on his day

Certainly a good squad player

Still only 24 as well

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

CraigHibee
26-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Absolutely yes, not a starter as others have pointed out but he is a decent player imo

basehibby
26-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Difficult one. He's never been a certain starter but never far away either and I'm happy to say he's making a strong claim for a new deal with some good industrious performances this season. Ultimately it will be up to Ross to juggle the wage bill. If Slivka were to leave then it would leave a hole in the squad - could Ross make the team better spending those wages on a different player? His call - would be happy to see Vykintas stay as seems to be an improving player but not worth breaking the bank over.

Jones28
26-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Good player, he was brought in from the cold after being dropped and it’s not exactly the best environment to make your return - DM would suggest otherwise. He was hard done by to not make his comeback sooner imo.

murray26
27-12-2019, 02:14 AM
Definitely

EdinMike
27-12-2019, 04:36 AM
Big yes, he’s does what you don’t notice.

Centre Hawf
27-12-2019, 07:03 AM
He's the better option to put beside Halberg due to his size and ability to run and occasionally tackle more than Mallan. But I still think he lacks a bit of dig required, thought too often he vacated space for Hearts to drive into. There was a spell as well where he gave the ball way every time he touched it in the first half.

The guy has had 2.5 years here and I think in that time he's shown glimpses of why we thought he would turn out a player when signing him but over the entire period he's failed to show us why he should stay beyond this season for me.

Callum_62
27-12-2019, 07:24 AM
He's the better option to put beside Halberg due to his size and ability to run and occasionally tackle more than Mallan. But I still think he lacks a bit of dig required, thought too often he vacated space for Hearts to drive into. There was a spell as well where he gave the ball way every time he touched it in the first half.

The guy has had 2.5 years here and I think in that time he's shown glimpses of why we thought he would turn out a player when signing him but over the entire period he's failed to show us why he should stay beyond this season for me.Get your point but he's still definitely young enough to improve

More than good enough squad player with still potential to become a starter for me

danhibees1875
27-12-2019, 07:26 AM
Yes. Very neat and tidy player, his only downfall was not being McGinn-like with his surging runs that got fans on his back a bit.

I like to think I'd have said yes to him regardless of him playing well yesterday and our 2-0 win but I certainly think this thread would have looked different had the result not been favourable. :greengrin

Centre Hawf
27-12-2019, 08:12 AM
Get your point but he's still definitely young enough to improve

More than good enough squad player with still potential to become a starter for me

Definitely could improve but I'm wondering if a change of scenery will bring that out of him. He needs to put a run of form together between now and the end of the season to win me round sadly.

jax67
27-12-2019, 08:28 AM
:confused:

Strange that, I thought we won and Slivka was an integral part of that win

He certainly was.👍

SMAXXA
27-12-2019, 08:31 AM

How do you know how many teams have tried to sign him ya slaver.

Unseen work
27-12-2019, 09:21 AM
I’d keep him as a squad player.

He’s shown on his day he’s a good player and has good athleticism and good at driving forward with the ball or making runs.

He’s just missing the consistency to be a key player if we’re wanting to finish in the top 3/4.

Paisley Hibby
27-12-2019, 10:31 AM

We win our second derby in a row at Tynecastle. A great team effort from the players and fans. And YOUR first thought is to come on here and post that 🙄 I bet you're a hoot at parties.

Eyrie
27-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Possibly.

I'd prefer a proper defensive midfielder but Slivka is a good option to have in the squad either as depth or for games where we expect to dominate possession so don't need a pure defender.

The 90+2
27-12-2019, 11:02 AM
I was expecting significant improvement from him over a period to be honest and he was careless in possession a few times. I wouldn’t start start a thread on the guy the day of a derby pumping over them though.

Since452
27-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Every Allan and Mallan needs a Slivka type

DH1875
27-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Know I'm in the minority but I'm not a fan and don't get why so many rate him.

marleyhib
27-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Yes, but needs to play regularly and could maybe do with some help with his confidence.

Definitely has the talent I think.

Sammy7nil
27-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Big yes, he’s does what you don’t notice.

Ha ha that old chestnut :aok:

How do you know how many teams have tried to sign him ya slaver.

No need

We win our second derby in a row at Tynecastle. A great team effort from the players and fans. And YOUR first thought is to come on here and post that 🙄 I bet you're a hoot at parties.

There was a question asked he gave his opinion that is what you're supposed to do ! If we win a derby should all 14 players taking part get new contracts ?

Nicho87
27-12-2019, 10:04 PM
I’ve always been never really fussed for slivka. But if he keeps showing same sort of desire like Thursday that will work. Worthy of a one year deal if Ross thinks we can’t get better imo.

Michael
27-12-2019, 10:11 PM
Has his moments, but I would hope we could sign an upgrade. He's been here a while and not yet cemented his place in the team.

GreenCastle
27-12-2019, 10:35 PM
Heard he’s rejected a new contract so probably playing to impress new teams.

Personally would have kept him.

we are hibs
27-12-2019, 10:41 PM
Im Undecided on him after 2 years so probably no.

Hes capable, but lacks consistency. I think we can get better.

Forza Fred
27-12-2019, 10:44 PM
yes.

Always feel that if he comes in he'll do a decent job.

keeps the others on their toes.

Since452
27-12-2019, 10:46 PM

That would be a shame. I think he's a useful member of the squad. To be fair to him he'll want to be playing every week.

Sammy7nil
28-12-2019, 08:58 AM

Thanks for your efforts, goodbye and Good luck.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
28-12-2019, 06:27 PM
The other thread showed the difference in results between a Hallberg & Slivka CM partnership Vs anything else, on that basis alone he has his name nailed on the starting 11 sheet alongside Hallberg.

:agree:

madabouthibs
28-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Yes, but needs to play regularly and could maybe do with some help with his confidence.

Definitely has the talent I think.
This for me.
I think Slivka is a very classy "Euro" type midfielder, but he needs a consistent run of starts to really develop properly. I actually think we could build a fantastic midfield around him and SA. I'd rather have him starting than Mallan just now tbh.

Jim44
28-12-2019, 07:12 PM

I would like him to stay but if there is any truth in this statement, I would get shot if possible in January. Once a player’s intentions and aspirations are made public, he is a dead man walking. Has the club actually mentioned his rejection?

Callum_62
28-12-2019, 07:19 PM
I would like him to stay but if there is any truth in this statement, I would get shot if possible in January. Once a player’s intentions and aspirations are made public, he is a dead man walking. Has the club actually mentioned his rejection?No and could quite possibly be he has rejected our initial offer

Stokesy's on fire
28-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Big old yes from me

fulshie
28-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Yes. Jack Ross has been using him and we're bagging points, Heckingbottom wasn't using him, I'll leave it at that.

Tug Wilson
28-12-2019, 08:27 PM

However, I think that we are in the market for a defensive midfielder to allow Hallberg to be more box to box. So that could be at the expense of Slivka.

Personally I like him as a player. Tidy, skilful and tries to play with the head up. However, he is short of any real pace, sometimes wants too long on the ball and just doesn't impose himself on a game enough.

The midfield still needs a bit of remodeling and I think that Slivka might not be part of that.

RIP
28-12-2019, 08:40 PM
I want to like Slivka. I just wished he was stronger in the tackle and scored more goals.

I also wonder whether his improved form and end of contract is merely a coincidence.

The Wireless
28-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Has done ok recently and always gives Hibs 100%. A squad player for me. Contract or not I suppose it depends on whether we can bring in better. If we want to be serious about nailing down 3rd on a more regular basis, I think we need to recruit better in midfield.

1875M
28-12-2019, 09:25 PM
Good squad player. Compared to previous players I’ve seen play for Hibs in his position (eg Matt Thornhill, Isaiah Osbourne, Victor Palsson, Tom Soares, Tudor Jones etc), he’s a very solid player and a good option to have in the team.

Smartie
28-12-2019, 09:27 PM
No and could quite possibly be he has rejected our initial offer

Our first offer is likely to have been at the lower end of what we could afford to pay him.

Alfred E Newman
28-12-2019, 09:31 PM
I like him. He's a quality footballer but we need someone that can win the ball in midfield and for all his talent that is what he lacks. .

J-C
29-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Slivka is decent but there's surely a reason why he's never held down a starting spot in the team. The management see him every day, Lennon and Heckingbottom didn't play him every week, decent squad player and that's it.

jax67
29-12-2019, 06:55 AM
It’s a yes from me.

Good player, some excellent attributes.

We do need to bolster the midfield with at least ones more player who can defend, but that will be a player to have in addition to Slivka, not instead of.

My thoughts too. Slivka has two good feet, composure, rarely gives the ball away, great at finding feet with his passes.

swordin3
29-12-2019, 07:27 AM
I think he adds a bit of physicality to the team. He is solid without having a big impact positively in the final third. He of course has been given a specific job which does not seem to give him the freedom to charge up the pitch at every opportunity.

MacGruber
29-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Yes from me.

We so seem to be in a bit of a pattern with him though.
He's out the side, we are too exposed in midfield and get over run and beaten. We bring him in, he plays really well, the team look more balanced and we win - he is first dropped.... & repeat. It's strange at times.

Think Slivka, Allan, Halberg is our best 3 centrally

eebsie
29-12-2019, 08:09 AM
I think he is decent. Maybe a good run of games would see him flourish.
One or two injuries in midfield and he could be a key player we need!

Weegreenman
29-12-2019, 03:48 PM
No way is Slivka ever good enough to warrant a starting place. Substitute maybe? We need a more hungry, consistent type of player.

Slivka is bottom six material.

Bronson
29-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Awful today. Confirmed what I’ve been thinking but didn’t want to say - not good enough, get rid.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Looks decent in one game and abysmal in the next. Predictable.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 04:12 PM
If we're basing it on today Allan and Boyle can join him. Great last game, hopeless today.

The Modfather
29-12-2019, 04:20 PM
If we're basing it on today Allan and Boyle can join him. Great last game, hopeless today.

I don’t think anyone is judging it solely on today, it’s just another example of the pattern of Slivka being good one week anonymous (I wasn’t at the game so based on what others have said about his performance today) the next.

Bronson
29-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Deary me, that’ll be our 2 best players who just won us the derby?

Not comparable to slivka. Not even slightly.

we are hibs
29-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Slivka far too inconsistent. We can do better

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Deary me, that’ll be our 2 best players who just won us the derby?

Not comparable to slivka. Not even slightly.

Where were they today? Boyle is a horrendous striker. Winger or bench.

BoomtownHibees
29-12-2019, 04:25 PM

Aye he was horrendous on Thursday as well 🙄

J-C
29-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Funny he didn't look it on Thursday, there's some amount of p1sh spouted every team we get a poor result and it's always the same posters who start going into full meltdown and want all the players dumped, get a ****ing grip of reality.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Funny he didn't look it on Thursday, there's some amount of p1sh spouted every team we get a poor result and it's always the same posters who start going into full meltdown and want all the players dumped, get a ****ing grip of reality.

I'm definitely not one of those posters pal, try again.

He was good on Thursday up front, took his goals well. Back to the standard striking performance today. He isn't a striker. He is a winger.

Tully
29-12-2019, 04:41 PM
No,1 good game in 5 is no good hopeless today

angus hibby
29-12-2019, 04:50 PM

Agree that Boyle isn’t a striker.

Think Ross only played Boyle there against Hearts as he knew they’d play a high line and Boyle’s pace would cause them problems. Scores two so Ross probably thinks he has to stick with him as a striker again today.

cabbageandribs1875
29-12-2019, 05:48 PM
Slivka - NAW

Horgan - NAW

Shaw - NAW

just for now

The 90+2
29-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Slivka - NAW

Horgan - NAW

Shaw - NAW

just for now

Can’t argue with that.

Robbo6-2
29-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Slivka has had enough chances to cement his place in the team.

Time to use his wages and give someone else a chance.

Centre Hawf
29-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Said it after the Derby that the guy has been far too inconsistent, and actually just generally poor in large spells, to even consider giving him a new deal right now.

He's a Hibs player until the summer and he has till then to prove someone he has something. But let's be absolutely realistic in that if he left Hibs this week not a single person would care.

Bronson
29-12-2019, 06:38 PM
Slivka - NAW

Horgan - NAW

Shaw - NAW

just for now

Horgan is a baller, if we actually played wingers he’d be far more effective. One of the few players i feel can actually make something happen.

Shaw and slivka can leave tomorrow for me.

J-C
29-12-2019, 07:00 PM

He was good on Thursday up front, took his goals well. Back to the standard striking performance today. He isn't a striker. He is a winger.

Started as a striker at Montrose and has 36 goals in 87 games for them, was converted to the wing at Dundee due to his pace.

The modern striker isn't like the old fashioned ones, they have to play right across the front line, it's all about using his pace and threatening the defences, whether that's left, right or centre.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Started as a striker at Montrose and has 36 goals in 87 games for them, was converted to the wing at Dundee due to his pace.

The modern striker isn't like the old fashioned ones, they have to play right across the front line, it's all about using his pace and threatening the defences, whether that's left, right or centre.Yeah, maybe he's a striker at that level, not this one. He's a right winger. Not a modern forward, not a striker. A right winger. He is very rarely any good anywhere else except a Very good 6 months at wingback.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Yeah, maybe he's a striker at that level, not this one. He's a right winger. Not a modern forward, not a striker. A right winger. He is very rarely any good anywhere else except a Very good 6 months at wingback.

Five goals since he came back from injury and the quality of the finishes, for each of them, has been superb. Who should we have played up front instead today?

J-C
29-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Five goals since he came back from injury and the quality of the finishes, for each of them, has been superb. Who should we have played up front instead today?

He should play on the right of a front 3, he's a modern day attacking forward, Kamberi off the left and Doidge/A.N Other in the middle.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2019, 07:54 PM
He should play on the right of a front 3, he's a modern day attacking forward, Kamberi off the left and Doidge/A.N Other in the middle.

That’s no the only way to play. Especially on a crap, small pitch like that.

Thought the biggest mistake today was Horgan on the left of a diamond. He was poor the other day and should have been replaced by Newell IMO.

Boyle was fine playing in a two a few days ago.

Alfred E Newman
29-12-2019, 07:56 PM
After today I've changed to a no. I forgot Slivka was on the park as the game passed him by. Mind you, he wasn't the only one.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 08:22 PM

2 of those goals were as a winger Vs Aberdeen.

He should've played wide, if Ross wanted 2 forwards, start Shaw.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 08:22 PM
That’s no the only way to play. Especially on a crap, small pitch like that.

Thought the biggest mistake today was Horgan on the left of a diamond. He was poor the other day and should have been replaced by Newell IMO.

Boyle was fine playing in a two a few days ago.

The pitch is no smaller than others, their wingers did fine.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2019, 08:26 PM
2 of those goals were as a winger Vs Aberdeen.

He should've played wide, if Ross wanted 2 forwards, start Shaw.

The point I was making is that the finishes were quality. As for Aberdeen, he played on the right of a diamond. Not as a winger.

Start Shaw who hasn’t kicked a ball, instead of the guy that just scored two goals playing up top at Tynecastle. Lol.

we are hibs
29-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Boyle for me is at his best when he either recieves the ball wide and comes inside or starts wide and makes runs between centre half and full back to recieve the ball. Hes becoming a more intelligent footballer and no longer just a "runner"

Captain Trips
29-12-2019, 08:45 PM
If after 2.5 seasons this is a question then I think that says it all.

wookie70
29-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Yeah, maybe he's a striker at that level, not this one. He's a right winger. Not a modern forward, not a striker. A right winger. He is very rarely any good anywhere else except a Very good 6 months at wingback.
I really like Boyle at Right Wing Back. He is definitely more effective running from wide and deep but as we saw at the Derby he can be useful through the middle. He is far harder to find with the ball through the middle though and , like today, can be completely anonymous in the centre. Saying that Doidge wasn't any better.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 09:33 PM
The point I was making is that the finishes were quality. As for Aberdeen, he played on the right of a diamond. Not as a winger.

Start Shaw who hasn’t kicked a ball, instead of the guy that just scored two goals playing up top at Tynecastle. Lol.
His 2 goals are a massive exception to the fact that has been proven many times. He has had many many more bad games than good ones as a striker. Shaw is a better striker so yes, I'd have started him over Boyle up front. I would have had Boyle out wide where he is useful.

Look at where Boyle starts his run from for first goal Vs Aberdeen. Dictionary definition of the wing. He played as a winger.

LaMotta
29-12-2019, 09:38 PM

Boyle can be very effective as a striker OR a winger and 4 of his five goals this season have all come from runs through the centre of the pitch so its not correct to say he cant play as a striker.

You are right though that him and Scott Allan were terrible today. I dont think a pass from Allan ever found its intended target.

As for Slivka well he was just as bad, the difference for him is that he doesnt have regular match winning performances that Allan and Boyle do.

LaMotta
29-12-2019, 09:40 PM
I really like Boyle at Right Wing Back. He is definitely more effective running from wide and deep but as we saw at the Derby he can be useful through the middle. He is far harder to find with the ball through the middle though and , like today, can be completely anonymous in the centre. Saying that Doidge wasn't any better.

Boyle moved out wide today towards the end of the first half and proved less of a problem to Livvy when he did.

MWHIBBIES
29-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Boyle can be very effective as a striker OR a winger and 4 of his five goals this season have all come from runs through the centre of the pitch so its not correct to say he cant play as a striker.

You are right though that him and Scott Allan were terrible today. I dont think a pass from Allan ever found its intended target.

As for Slivka well he was just as bad, the difference for him is that he doesnt have regular match winning performances that Allan and Boyle do.

Aside from Tynecastle, when has Boyle played well as a striker for Hibs?

Couple of goals away at Ayr maybe? Otherwise I'm struggling. As textbook a winger as possible. Has to play there or off the bench.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2019, 09:48 PM
His 2 goals are a massive exception to the fact that has been proven many times. He has had many many more bad games than good ones as a striker. Shaw is a better striker so yes, I'd have started him over Boyle up front. I would have had Boyle out wide where he is useful.

Look at where Boyle starts his run from for first goal Vs Aberdeen. Dictionary definition of the wing. He played as a winger.

He drifted wide and made a run. He didn’t play as a winger in that game though. He just didn’t. Not even a debate that one. We were playing the diamond, the same as we have every other week.

I’m not even arguing that he’s better striker than he is a winger. But he's definitely a better striker than Oli Shaw and had plenty good games as a striker as well.

LaMotta
29-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Apologies for the daily record link but....

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/jason-cummings-could-himself-favour-9181541

5 goals in 8 games from October 2016 to Dec 2016 was the only time Boyle's really had a shot as a striker apart from recently, and he was good back then.

Yes first division but prolific. I can see why he is preferred on the wing but he has the ability to do both as previous career, 2016 and the last month proves.

Horrendous as a striker though? Cmon more unbalanced over the top analysis that people might believe due to the authoritative nature its being posted in.

LaMotta
29-12-2019, 10:00 PM
He drifted wide and made a run. He didn’t play as a winger in that game though. He just didn’t. Not even a debate that one. We were playing the diamond, the same as we have every other week.

I’m not even arguing that he’s better striker than he is a winger. But he's definitely a better striker than Oli Shaw and had plenty good games as a striker as well.

Hi Heid Yin
29-12-2019, 10:01 PM
A definite No from me.
The guy has had far, far, far too long now to demonstrate that he can impact games regularly and consistently.

Smartie
29-12-2019, 10:02 PM
I really liked Boyle as a striker when he first joined, but he was a very different player then.

He was probably quicker and folk knew less about him so he had an element of surprise about him. He’s a far more complete player now though.

I think he’s equally comfortable on the wing or up front - as long as he’s getting some sort of service, which he didn’t get today.

With the right back 3 I wouldn’t be against him going to WB again, where he was outstanding.

Bishop Hibee
29-12-2019, 10:06 PM
I thought he did more than either Hallberg or Horgan today although that’s not saying much. I wouldn’t renew his contract but there are a whole lot of others I’d punt before him.

roo62
29-12-2019, 10:20 PM
He has had plenty chances and like most of us still on the fence... time to move on now. If he is not improving us... and he's not,why should we keep persevering. There are better players out there for Hibs than Slivka.
It's a No now from me.

ekhibee
29-12-2019, 10:22 PM
No

jacomo
29-12-2019, 10:30 PM
I really liked Boyle as a striker when he first joined, but he was a very different player then.

He was probably quicker and folk knew less about him so he had an element of surprise about him. He’s a far more complete player now though.

I think he’s equally comfortable on the wing or up front - as long as he’s getting some sort of service, which he didn’t get today.

With the right back 3 I wouldn’t be against him going to WB again, where he was outstanding.

Off topic but :agree: to all that.

As for Slivka, overall he’s not delivered on his undoubted potential but our new manager clearly sees something in him. I’ll trust him to make the right call.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Off topic but :agree: to all that.

As for Slivka, overall he’s not delivered on his undoubted potential but our new manager clearly sees something in him. I’ll trust him to make the right call.

Does he see much in him? Or is it a case if there being little else to choose from? My guess is that it’s somewhere in the middle.

delbert
29-12-2019, 10:40 PM
No

Agreed, brings next to nothing 90% of the time, the other 10% he really looks a player and then back in his shell for half a dozen games !

The Modfather
29-12-2019, 11:03 PM
Does he see much in him? Or is it a case if there being little else to choose from? My guess is that it’s somewhere in the middle.

Yep, Slivka gives us the best balance from the limited quality available. However Slivka is as much part of the midfield problems of a lack of quality and balance as any of the other midfields IMO.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 08:48 AM

He hasn't had plenty good games as a striker, I bet you can't name 5.

We played closer to a 4-4-2 or 433 Vs Aberdeen and counter attacked. Boyle was the focus of this counter, using his pace wide on the right. You are correct in saying there is no debate, a quick look at his goals shows he was playing wide.

J-C
30-12-2019, 08:59 AM

We played closer to a 4-4-2 or 433 Vs Aberdeen and counter attacked. Boyle was the focus of this counter, using his pace wide on the right. You are correct in saying there is no debate, a quick look at his goals shows he was playing wide.

Goals against Hearts, 1st overhead volley on the penalty spot (central), 2nd through ball from Allan in the middle of the pitch again central. His 2nd against Aberdeen was a pass straight through the middle.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Goals against Hearts, 1st overhead volley on the penalty spot (central), 2nd through ball from Allan in the middle of the pitch again central. His 2nd against Aberdeen was a pass straight through the middle.

Yes, Hearts is one of his good games up front. You'll struggle to find others.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2019, 09:20 AM

Boyle scored twice playing up front at Tynecastle. Played up front home and away against Asteras in our best European result for a generation. Had a decent run playing up front in the championship winning season. Played up front at Celtic Park in our first season back up when they were still ‘invincible’ in what was one of our best performances of the season.

If he’s that bad, why can the best young striker in Europe not get a game in front of him? Tell you why, because even Boyle playing in a position that isn’t his best, offers far more.

As for the whole ‘playing wide’ thing, I can’t believe you won’t acknowledge we played the diamond in that game. As we have in all the others.

J-C
30-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Yes, Hearts is one of his good games up front. You'll struggle to find others.

And just how many times has played as an out and out striker, the majority of his appearances have been wide but he's proved he can perform up top, I still think he's best right of a front 3. Rahim Sterling was a winger at Liverpool, went to Man City and is one of the best strikers going, Mo Salah, another winger turned goalscorer.

You don't have wingers etc now, it's attacking forwards, able to play across the line. A few games ago Kamberi started left but during the game he was on right putting in a cross, the front 3 interchange, Rangers and Celtic are examples of attacking players with great movement, it's the modern way.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Boyle scored twice playing up front at Tynecastle. Played up front home and away against Asteras in our best European result for a generation. Had a decent run playing up front in the championship winning season. Played up front at Celtic Park in our first season back up when they were still ‘invincible’ in what was one of our best performances of the season.

If he’s that bad, why can the best young striker in Europe not get a game in front of him? Tell you why, because even Boyle playing in a position that isn’t his best, offers far more.

You've named like 3 games he didn't score or contribute much in. He was pish against Asteras at home, they all were until we changed the formation.

He didn't really have a decent run up front in the championship season, he scored a couple away at Ayr and one at home vs QOTS then was dreadful away vs Dundee United and never played up front again that season.

Boyle is a winger, its so clear for all to see really. I think he is a brilliant player out wide, generally he is totally missing up front, like yesterday. That is undeniably the standard from him up front, the facts back that up.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 09:35 AM
And just how many times has played as an out and out striker, the majority of his appearances have been wide but he's proved he can perform up top, I still think he's best right of a front 3. Rahim Sterling was a winger at Liverpool, went to Man City and is one of the best strikers going, Mo Salah, another winger turned goalscorer.

You don't have wingers etc now, it's attacking forwards, able to play across the line. A few games ago Kamberi started left but during the game he was on right putting in a cross, the front 3 interchange, Rangers and Celtic are examples of attacking players with great movement, it's the modern way.

Yes, Boyle does fine when he is wide in a front 3 or wide in a 4-4-2 etc

You definitely do have wingers now, I can name plenty. You also have plenty of central strikers still, guys like Lewandowski, who can really play that position well. Even in Scotland, Morelos and Edouard are clearly central strikers.

He has played quite a few games as a striker now, he hasn't proved he can perform up top consistently. Yesterday is the norm.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2019, 09:39 AM
You've named like 3 games he didn't score or contribute much in. He was pish against Asteras at home, they all were until we changed the formation.

He didn't really have a decent run up front in the championship season, he scored a couple away at Ayr and one at home vs QOTS then was dreadful away vs Dundee United and never played up front again that season.

Boyle is a winger, its so clear for all to see really. I think he is a brilliant player out wide, generally he is totally missing up front, like yesterday. That is undeniably the standard from him up front, the facts back that up.

Never said he wasn’t a winger. He is clearly a better winger.

You’ve got a strange perception of facts in that, generally, if they don’t suit your argument you just ignore them.

Whatever you think of his performance is opinion. What you can’t deny is that he is played up front in a number of high profile games where we achieved good results.

Still, I’m sure Oli will come good and push him out the team eh..

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 09:41 AM

You’ve got a strange perception of facts in that, generally, if they don’t suit your argument you just ignore them.

Whatever you think of his performance is opinion. What you can’t deny is that he is played up front in a number of high profile games where we achieved good results.

Which facts have you presented?

What high profile games are these? I had a look at that Celtic game, basically everything says he played wide right that day with Stokes up front alone?

No need to insult Shaw to suit your argument.

Allant1981
30-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Slivka is a decent squad player, he has got a wee bit of dig about him, scores the odd goal, can get the ball down and pass it about but doesnt do it consistently enough to be a starter. We cant get shot of everyone and he would be one I would keep

B.H.F.C
30-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Which facts have you presented?

What high profile games are these? I had a look at that Celtic game, basically everything says he played wide right that day with Stokes up front alone?

No need to insult Shaw to suit your argument.

Christ, I named a number of games and you ignore them and just pretend he was poor, played a different position or didn’t contribute anything. Celtic Park. European tie. Tynecastle. How much more high profile do you want than that?

That day at Parkhead he played up front with Stokes. McGeough actually played the furthest forward of our midfield to nullify them. I know that from being at the game rather than looking at Wikipedia a couple of years later.

Insulting Shaw...don’t think I did that.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Christ, I named a number of games and you ignore them and just pretend he was poor, played a different position or didn’t contribute anything. Celtic Park. European tie. Tynecastle. How much more high profile do you want than that?

That day at Parkhead he played up front with Stokes. McGeough actually played the furthest forward of our midfield to nullify them. I know that from being at the game rather than looking at Wikipedia a couple of years later.

Insulting Shaw...don’t think I did that.

Those aren't facts. It is your opinion he played well or didn't, not a fact. He certainly didn't contribute much against Asteras other than the shot that Kamberi rebounded in.

I personally look for players to have more than 3 good matches up front before I say they should be playing there. He is a brilliant winger, he should play there.

Also, who uses Wikipedia for match facts :faf:

B.H.F.C
30-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Those aren't facts. It is your opinion he played well or didn't, not a fact. He certainly didn't contribute much against Asteras other than the shot that Kamberi rebounded in.

I personally look for players to have more than 3 good matches up front before I say they should be playing there. He is a brilliant winger, he should play there.

Also, who uses Wikipedia for match facts :faf:

The fact is that he contributed to some great results playing as a striker. That’s not an opinion.

Also, you’re completely ignoring the fact that I agree he is a better winger than a striker. In the last couple of games he’s been the best option to partner Doidge though. A far better option than Shaw.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 10:17 AM
The fact is that he contributed to some great results playing as a striker. That’s not an opinion.

Also, you’re completely ignoring the fact that I agree he is a better winger than a striker. In the last couple of games he’s been the best option to partner Doidge though. A far better option than Shaw.

Right, that is true. He played in matches we won. In my opinion playing and contributing well are different things.

I don't think Boyle as a striker is a better opinion than Shaw. Impossible to say really since Shaw has had about 10 minutes gametime this season. Don't really think that is a sign of anything though as he has contributed well many times when he has played. Many more times as a striker than Boyle.

I know you agree he is a better winger but you think he contributes well as a striker. I think he is generally pish as a striker.

B.H.F.C
30-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Right, that is true. He played in matches we won. In my opinion playing and contributing well are different things.

I don't think Boyle as a striker is a better opinion than Shaw. Impossible to say really since Shaw has had about 10 minutes gametime this season. Don't really think that is a sign of anything though as he has contributed well many times when he has played. Many more times as a striker than Boyle.

I know you agree he is a better winger but you think he contributes well as a striker. I think he is generally pish as a striker.

You be careful not to insult Boyle to suit your argument eh.

Shaw contributed occasionally about 12-24 months ago. Nothing in the present day, while Boyle has as recently as last Thursday.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 10:37 AM
You be careful not to insult Boyle to suit your argument eh.

Shaw contributed occasionally about 12-24 months ago. Nothing in the present day, while Boyle has as recently as last Thursday.

Hard to contribute when not playing, don't really think he has done much to merit such little time. Still banging them in against the english championship reverve sides we've been playing.

My argument has been the same for over a year now. Boyle is, generally, missing when playing striker.

LaMotta
30-12-2019, 10:58 AM

You've hit the nail on the head there unfortuneately there's little point in debating with someone where logic goes out the window.

He decided after a few games that Tom James will be a great Hibs right back without any real evidence to say that' arguing till blue in the face with anyone who thought about waiting a while before coming to that assumption.

He thinks David Gray is vastly overrated and has blamed him for goals that werent even close to being his fault to back up his argument.

He thought James Collins was a good player for Hibs.

He describes Boyle as being horrendous and pish as a striker despite having a good goal scoring rate in the few games hes actually played there.

Everythng Slivka and Oli Shaw do are wonderful, yet everything Mallan does is terrible when the truth lies somewhere in between that.

Logic wont help with any argument im afraid.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 11:11 AM
You've hit the nail on the head there unfortuneately there's little point in debating with someone where logic goes out the window.

He decided after a few games that Tom James will be a great Hibs right back without any real evidence to say that' arguing till blue in the face with anyone who thought about waiting a while before coming to that assumption.

He thinks David Gray is vastly overrated and has blamed him for goals that werent even close to being his fault to back up his argument.

He thought James Collins was a good player for Hibs.

He describes Boyle as being horrendous and pish as a striker despite having a good goal scoring rate in the few games hes actually played there.

Everythng Slivka and Oli Shaw do are wonderful, yet everything Mallan does is terrible when the truth lies somewhere in between that.

Logic wont help with any argument im afraid.

At least I manage to keep on topic. Really embarrassing you keep taking personal shots at me. Try reading the forum rules before posting. Was hoping the admin post about personal abuse on here after the sad scenes with Tracy stepping down would stop this but still plenty of posters taking shots at me for just posting my opinion. Sad people.

I never actually said half of those things either. Nice try but a large fail.

I thought James would be a good player, he did start well. Had a few poor games in a poor team and now nowhere to be seen. I do think that thinking someone will be good is better than desperatly hoping they fail because of the league they came from like many on here.

Gray certainly is overrated and I've never blamed him for a goal that wasn't his fault. Fantastic player and I love him. Not Cafu like this place pretends.

I never said Collins was good for Hibs. Undoubtedly a good player though, his record is fantastic in England.

Boyle is a poor striker, his record isn't good while playing there for Hibs. He has been missing much more than he has been good. A fantastic winger though who I'd have starting every week.

Slivka was rubbish yesterday. Not as rubbish as others, though. Mallan has been mostly rubbish for 12 months.

LaMotta
30-12-2019, 11:24 AM
At least I manage to keep on topic. Really embarrassing you keep taking personal shots at me. Try reading the forum rules before posting. Was hoping the admin post about personal abuse on here after the sad scenes with Tracy stepping down would stop this but still plenty of posters taking shots at me for just posting my opinion. Sad people.

I never actually said half of those things either. Nice try but a large fail.

I thought James would be a good player, he did start well. Had a few poor games in a poor team and now nowhere to be seen. I do think that thinking someone will be good is better than desperatly hoping they fail because of the league they came from like many on here.

Gray certainly is overrated and I've never blamed him for a goal that wasn't his fault. Fantastic player and I love him. Not Cafu like this place pretends.

I never said Collins was good for Hibs. Undoubtedly a good player though, his record is fantastic in England.

Boyle is a poor striker, his record isn't good while playing there for Hibs. He has been missing much more than he has been good. A fantastic winger though who I'd have starting every week.

Slivka was rubbish yesterday. Not as rubbish as others, though. Mallan has been mostly rubbish for 12 months.

You just took a thread about Slivka off topic and turned it into one about Boyle being a supposedly horrendous striker.

l'll make no apologies for calling out posts that have such unfair and over the top assessments of Hibs players, posted as if the assessments are gospel, whether thats you or anyone else.

Heisenberg
30-12-2019, 11:27 AM
We have the second worst goals conceded in the division. The midfield is a big part of that problem. Slivka isn’t consistently good enough and doesn’t provide the right balance in midfield. Wouldn’t keep him.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 12:36 PM
You just took a thread about Slivka off topic and turned it into one about Boyle being a supposedly horrendous striker.

l'll make no apologies for calling out posts that have such unfair and over the top assessments of Hibs players, posted as if the assessments are gospel, whether thats you or anyone else.

In a thread discussing a Hibs playing I compared his performance to other Hibs players. I didn't take shots at other posters.

Call out my opinion all you want, don't call out me or I will report you. I don't post as if its gospel. I post it, simple as. My opinions are rarely posted without facts to back them up. Then people just reply saying ''hur hur logic doesn't apply with you hur hur'' Yeah, okay pal.

Should I add more of these :greengrin

Mallan has been rubbish for 12 months IMO FWIW IMHO :greengrin - Is that better? Would that be taken seriously?

I generally give credit to Hibs players when they are good and generally give them critisim if they are poor. Hardly an outrageous thing to do. What I don't do is rate players because they won daft awards last season or scored some goals in a 6 week period 18 months ago. I judge them week to week.

hibbymark
30-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Would like to think we can do better. Can do a job as a sub/squad player but if we have ambitions to be challenging for Europe annually he’s not a starter for me.

Hibs have to decide if we are replacing the whole midfield ( highly unlikely) or who we are going to build a midfield unit around. If that’s Scotty for example we need to get the other pieces of the jigsaw in place to get the balance for this to work . Nobody in a midfield containing Mallen, Allan, Vicky,Hallberg etc compliment each other which is why we are squeezing square pegs or the diamond as we call it into round holes .

we are hibs
30-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Another thread ruined by the repetitive "look at me, look at me!" Antics of some.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Another thread ruined by the repetitive "look at me, look at me!" Antics of some.

Who is that? Don't think the thread has been ruined at all. If you dislike the discussion, don't participate. If you wish to discuss the initial subject, quote that post and reply. Threads always go down different routes. That's far more likely that 10 pages on the initial subject.

heretoday
30-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Slivka is strong but needs to sharpen up his shooting.

Sammy7nil
30-12-2019, 08:37 PM

He needs to do a lot more than sharpen up his shooting.

lord bunberry
30-12-2019, 09:39 PM
Who is that? Don't think the thread has been ruined at all. If you dislike the discussion, don't participate. If you wish to discuss the initial subject, quote that post and reply. Threads always go down different routes. That's far more likely that 10 pages on the initial subject.
I also think the thread has been ruined, mostly by you banging on about Boyle on a thread that’s nothing to do with Boyle. Why don’t you start another thread.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 09:44 PM
I also think the thread has been ruined, mostly by you banging on about Boyle on a thread that’s nothing to do with Boyle. Why don’t you start another thread.

Yeah, it was just me replying to myself pal. Bore off. It's a forum. Unless an admin says otherwise the thread and posts in it are just fine.

Makes perfect sense to compare a players performance to others when criticising them. Everyone jumped in here on Slivkas back when he was no worse than the fan favourites who nobody says anything about.

Hopefully I can ruin a few more threads for you :)

ahibby
30-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Yes

MagicSwirlingShip
30-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Big yes from me. Classy athletic baller who is only going to get better.

JDT
30-12-2019, 11:27 PM
The fact that this debate is happening after him being here for almost 3 years tells its own story.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2019, 11:39 PM
The fact that this debate is happening after him being here for almost 3 years tells its own story.

Does it? Lewis has been here 14 years, won more major trophies than any Hibs player since the famous five and still folk think he's hopeless.

The 90+2
30-12-2019, 11:39 PM

And passing, and decision making.

hibee-boys
30-12-2019, 11:40 PM
Not sure exactly what role he undertakes in midfield. Not a def/mid, not a play maker, doesn't score, not a winger....does the basics ok but that's it really. If we're serious about challenging for top 4 he is not the answer.

wallpaperman
31-12-2019, 06:38 AM
I must be watching different games from many people on here.

One or two games apart, he brings very little to the team. A 2010’s version of Neil Orr.

Sioux
31-12-2019, 09:00 AM
I must be watching different games from many people on here.

One or two games apart, he brings very little to the team. A 2010’s version of Neil Orr.

Or Brian Hamilton!

Sammy7nil
31-12-2019, 09:33 AM

Really he has had 2.5 years and has not improved why will he now?

Does it? Lewis has been here 14 years, won more major trophies than any Hibs player since the famous five and still folk think he's hopeless.

Lewis secured a starting place Slivka has yet to do that on a consistent basis

Eyrie
31-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Orr was like Stevenson - a reliable, non-flashy full back who played in most games.

Hamilton had a regular place in the team for most of his time here, although most of us couldn't understand why.

Slivka has been in and out of the team, sometimes because there were better players ahead of him but more often because he doesn't play consistently well enough even within a game, let alone over a run of matches.

I'd still keep him as depth or an option off the bench, but I'd also be looking to see if we could do better in the summer before offering him a new deal.

CockneyRebel
31-12-2019, 09:36 AM

But....but... when?

JDT
31-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Lewis is consistent, he may not be everyone's cup of tea but he's always one of the better performers regardless of result. I don't see what Slivka brings. He's doesn't score or assist enough, doesn't really tackle, isn't fast and honestly against Hearts I thought he was poor. There's better out there, I'd give one of our academy boys a chance.

SideBurns
31-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Lewis is consistent, he may not be everyone's cup of tea but he's always one of the better performers regardless of result. I don't see what Slivka brings. He's doesn't score or assist enough, doesn't really tackle, isn't fast and honestly against Hearts I thought he was poor. There's better out there, I'd give one of our academy boys a chance.

In the immediate aftermath of the derby no-one was in the mood to criticise any of the players but I also thought Slivka was poor. In the first half, he consistently allowed Hickey to run inside him without putting a tackle in, and also missed 2 decent chances (although in his defence at least he got himself in good positions on both occasions).

In the 2nd half he was just part of a midfield who lost control of the game.

Having said all that, I think he's a classy player and therefore will continue to risk getting splinters in my arse by sitting on the fence. I just don't know if he's really going to make it at Hibs.

CMurdoch
31-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Hibs have been a shambles since the end of the 2017/18 season when our whole midfield left.

Lennon couldn't put it together again after poor player recruitment that summer. A few months after McGinn left Lennon had a melt down and started selecting random line ups in desperation and this disrupted the players.

Then Hecky came in and steadied the ship until the last 5 games of the season when we found out that we were unable to beat the other top 6 teams.
Our two defensive mids where moved on in the summer and not replaced.
That and tactics unsuited to our team continued the poor team form this season and the players pretty much all struggled.

Slivka is only 24 and was barely the age Shaw is now when he arrived. He joined a top class midfield and struggled for game time. After that the midfield disappeared in it's entirety in one window and he was forced to play in the mess described above. I am confident that Jack Ross will make the right decision on his future and if Slivka stays he will improve under the measured management of Ross.

Smartie
31-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Hibs have been a shambles since the end of the 2017/18 season when our whole midfield left.

Lennon couldn't put it together again after poor player recruitment that summer. A few months after McGinn left Lennon had a melt down and started selecting random line ups in desperation and this disrupted the players.

Then Hecky came in and steadied the ship until the last 5 games of the season when we found out that we were unable to beat the other top 6 teams.
Our two defensive mids where moved on in the summer and not replaced.
That and tactics unsuited to our team continued the poor team form this season and the players pretty much all struggled.

Slivka is only 24 and was barely the age Shaw is now when he arrived. He joined a top class midfield and struggled for game time. After that the midfield disappeared in it's entirety in one window and he was forced to play in the mess described above. I am confident that Jack Ross will make the right decision on his future and if Slivka stays he will improve under the measured management of Ross.

Scott Allan is a good player, he's a first pick. Stevie Mallan is a decent player, he'd be a first pick if we didn't have Scott Allan. Hallberg is the best of the rest so he should probably be considered to be a first pick at this point.

Since McGinn, McGeouch and Allan left, the midfield has had a real stop-gap feel to it. The whole thing reeks of squad players filling in until we get some decent players in, which we never really seem to be nearer addressing.

I quite like all of our players but I just feel like they all need some much better quality beside them to bring the best out in them, and we probably can't afford to carry so much filler.

I'm convinced our problems begin and end with the midfield. A better midfield protects our decent defenders and creates moe for our decent strikers, although we could probably do with a bit more competition up front and proper backup in case of injury.

Captain Trips
31-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Scott Allan is a good player, he's a first pick. Stevie Mallan is a decent player, he'd be a first pick if we didn't have Scott Allan. Hallberg is the best of the rest so he should probably be considered to be a first pick at this point.

Since McGinn, McGeouch and Allan left, the midfield has had a real stop-gap feel to it. The whole thing reeks of squad players filling in until we get some decent players in, which we never really seem to be nearer addressing.

I quite like all of our players but I just feel like they all need some much better quality beside them to bring the best out in them, and we probably can't afford to carry so much filler.

I'm convinced our problems begin and end with the midfield. A better midfield protects our decent defenders and creates moe for our decent strikers, although we could probably do with a bit more competition up front and proper backup in case of injury.

I agree if the midfield had any steel then the defence would have better protection. However on more than a fae occasions the positioning and defending when called upon has been very poor from old and new players and has cost us lots of goals.

On Slivka there maybe a player in there but it is not a consistent one with us we cannot have to many players who turn it on in patches especially if long gaps between them. We have Mallan who is inconsistent and if we are going to persevere I would stick with Mallan.

CMurdoch
31-12-2019, 06:05 PM

We need to get our hands on the best defensive mid we can afford in January be that loan or otherwise. Someone who can make a real and immediate improvement to our team. Must be someone without injury issues.
I would prefer that rather than the cash being spread across 3 more average players.
As you say this would help the whole team to do what they do.

The Modfather
19-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Wonder if Slivka being on the bench today and Whittaker playing instead, as well as Omeonga coming in is a clearer indication he won’t be here next season.

hibee_girl
19-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Wonder if Slivka being on the bench today and Whittaker playing instead, as well as Omeonga coming in is a clearer indication he won’t be here next season.

Ross on tv saying that they weren't sure Slivka was going to be available today so he must having been carrying a knock this week

TheCabbage
19-01-2020, 01:53 PM

Jack Ross says Slivks not 100%

The Modfather
19-01-2020, 01:57 PM
Ross on tv saying that they weren't sure Slivka was going to be available today so he must having been carrying a knock this week

Fair enough in that case, probably would have played instead of Whittaker. Do wonder if he’ll drop down the pecking order with Omeinga now here. Up to Slivka to find some consistency and earn a new deal between now and the end of the season.

J-C
19-01-2020, 01:59 PM
Jack Ross says Slivks not 100%

Maybe a wee bug rather than a knock.

The Modfather
22-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Don’t want to seem like I have it in for Slivka bumping this thread for a second time in a few days...

Another chance blown tonight. Surely he’s approaching, if not already past the last chance saloon. A decent player on his day, but now think we could probably put his wage towards another squad player who would contribute more on a more consistent basis. Would be happy enough to move him on in this window if we got a replacement and now wouldn’t be renewing unless it was on reduced terms.

BILLYHIBS
22-01-2020, 10:23 PM
The ball was played back to him from the kick off and the first thing he did was boot the ball into touch

Things did not really get better for him but in fairness Hallberg was not that much better

I want Slivka to do well maybe as 90+2 says he was still under the weather but as the OP says patience with Slivka is starting to wear a bit thin

Jack Ross got the half time changes spot on

Credit where credit due

Greenbeard
22-01-2020, 10:27 PM
He was the main culprit in us playing a la Heck in the first half. - pitty patty wishy washy p1sh. MInd, he had plenty for company.

GreenCastle
22-01-2020, 10:29 PM
Don’t want to seem like I have it in for Slivka bumping this thread for a second time in a few days...

Another chance blown tonight. Surely he’s approaching, if not already past the last chance saloon. A decent player on his day, but now think we could probably put his wage towards another squad player who would contribute more on a more consistent basis. Would be happy enough to move him on in this window if we got a replacement and now wouldn’t be renewing unless it was on reduced terms.

He’s rejected a new contract - so basically playing to impress new teams.

I like the guy as a person but we do need an upgrade and more consistency if we want to fight for 3rd in the future.

Borderhibbie76
22-01-2020, 10:34 PM
If it's TRUE hes rejected a new deal I'd be asking why he was even offered 1 in first place. Sorry but just not good enough at all and needs to go. Never ever takes his chance to impress and was awful tonight. Yes so was Hallberg and Allan but they've shown us what they can do on a consistent basis..Viki sadly hasn't

J-C
22-01-2020, 10:38 PM
That performance tonight is enough for me, been here 2.5 years and hasn't improved one bit, compare that to Boyle's improvement in the same time. He should be moved on now and someone brought in.

ekhibee
22-01-2020, 10:58 PM
No from me, Slivka's had plenty of chances in different positions. He's an average player IMO, not bad but nothing special. I've lost count of the games when I've thought he's almost totally ineffectual. Who know's it might even be something to do with the style of football that Hibs play, maybe he'd be better suited to a team that uses different tactics.

Ozyhibby
22-01-2020, 11:01 PM
He’s just far to passive and gets bullied by guys half his size. It’s been obvious for a long time that he was never going to make the step up. Hallberg wasn’t any better to be fair but Slivka is all out of chances. He should be gone by the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
22-01-2020, 11:45 PM

I think he is a very good footballer but he doesn't seem to have as much confidence in himself which manifests itself in passing sideways instead of powering forward with the ball using his strength and skill. In essence, he is capable of being far more influential than he is presently.

The reason that Horgan and Newell were so effective tonight was that they broke the Hamilton lines by aggressive running and passing. Slivka has the ability to do a combination of both but plays safe which tonight allowed Hamilton to shut us down in the 1st half.

Black mark for the Hamilton goal.
He was Gogic marker for the corner.

Onion
23-01-2020, 04:51 AM
Slivka's first 45 was a cast back to a few years ago when he couldn't get near a start in the first team - for good reason. IMO he's an impact player and reserves his best for when we need to shore things up or change it up towards the end of a game. Invariably fails to deliver when given a starting place.

Hibs need to concentrate on bringing in better players than Slivka, and let him go.

Centre Hawf
23-01-2020, 04:56 AM
Times up Slivka. Nice guy with some ability about him. But it’s been coming up for 3 years of this same dance now and you’ve not grabbed any opportunities given to you.

calumhibee1
23-01-2020, 04:59 AM
No from me.

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2020, 05:02 AM
Rubbish last night but one of the few to always lift his head and try to pass it. Slightly better than Hallberg who was awful

Since90+2
23-01-2020, 05:23 AM
He certainly won't be a big loss. Can't see many people being too disappointed if he goes as expected at the end of the season.

judas
23-01-2020, 05:47 AM
A reluctant no from me.

Tiring of this ‘there’s a really good player in there’ chat.

Commonly:
Slow. Cumbersome. Lacking in motivation. Immobile. Poor tackler. Lazy

Uncommonly:
Intelligent and tidy

Fergos
23-01-2020, 06:00 AM
Playing in the wrong league.

Can see why he was at Juve, think he would suit a slower type of game where his attributes would more effective.

Think we can do and need better.

GGTTH

Brightside
23-01-2020, 06:49 AM
I like the boy but that’s as poor as he has been here. Not enough desire to improve further.

Sammy7nil
23-01-2020, 07:04 AM
He is Class
He just needs a run of games
There is definitely a player in there
He is just what we need in midfield

Etc Etc Etc :doh::doh::doh:

neil7908
23-01-2020, 07:06 AM
I've been a big supporter of his but after yesterday's game, it's a no for me.

He's had enough time and looks worst now than a couple of seasons ago.

Bostonhibby
23-01-2020, 07:25 AM
Think it would be best all round if he moved on.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Col L
23-01-2020, 07:51 AM
No. He was dire last night. Ran about like a headless chicken and can't tackle. I said at half-time I hoped him and Halberg would be hooked and was delighted to see Jack Ross felt the same. We've seen glimpses of a good player during Slivka's time with Hibs, but his debut goal against the Huns was a false dawn. Too soft, lacks the on-pitch character we need, and way too inconsistent.

MagicSwirlingShip
23-01-2020, 07:52 AM
Very low on confidence it seems. Needs to find an extra gear as he looks way out of sorts

Stuart93
23-01-2020, 07:53 AM
I’d just let him run down his contract

Shame it’s not worked

DoubleDangerous
23-01-2020, 07:54 AM
I've been a proponent for years, but at this stage he's just not offered enough to even consider renewing his contract. I'd rather see Fraser Murray given a shot.

jacomo
23-01-2020, 07:56 AM
Slivka's first 45 was a cast back to a few years ago when he couldn't get near a start in the first team - for good reason. IMO he's an impact player and reserves his best for when we need to shore things up or change it up towards the end of a game. Invariably fails to deliver when given a starting place.

Hibs need to concentrate on bringing in better players than Slivka, and let him go.

Unfortunately he hasn’t proved much good at shoring things up when brought on as a sub either.

Really thought he might kick on this season but it hasn’t happened.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2020, 07:56 AM
I've been a yes from day one. I'm reluctantly accepting it's now moving towards a no though and I think he'll move on at the end of the season and that's probably for the best.

It's frustrating because there is clearly a player there and he has showed that in flashes. He's been here a while now and still found little consistency or done little to show he deserves the mythical 'extended run in the team'.

jeffers
23-01-2020, 08:07 AM
Let him go. When he first signed I thought he had real ability and was just wating on him getting used to the frantic nature of our game. Three seasons in and it often looks like he's still trying to get used to the frantic nature of our game.

fishybeaver
23-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Let him go. When he first signed I thought he had real ability and was just wating on him getting used to the frantic nature of our game. Three seasons in and it often looks like he's still trying to get used to the frantic nature of our game.

Agree totally, just never really made an impact, tidy player but has never been first pick in 3 years imo

Golden Bear
23-01-2020, 08:16 AM
NO.

He's had his chances, played well on occasions but the bad shows or no shows far outweigh his better games.

PeeJay
23-01-2020, 08:22 AM
Think Slivka is a talented footballer with some potential, but he lacks proper guidance at the club about his role - as do many of our players ...

Peevemor
23-01-2020, 08:26 AM
Slivka rarely has a stinker but equally rarely really imposes himself and looks the part. He's a good squad player to have, but depending on the money we're paying him we probably need more than that.

GreenNWhiteArmy
23-01-2020, 08:31 AM
Always think he "looks the part" against the better teams when he maybe has more time/space so have been of the opinion we should keep him

Reality of it is though, most teams in this league are in your face and wont give you a second on the ball.

Having S.Allan means the rest of the midfield needs to be grafters or can stick a boot in. Sliv is neither.

Punt

Crutch
23-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Never been a great fan of his - don’t think his heart is in it. Never see him noise the game up by making a strong challenge or getting in the refs ear. Ability-wise not bad.

Being a good centre mid in our league is more than just what you do with the ball. And he’s nothing special when it comes to that either.

Jack Hackett
23-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Every professional footballer impresses someone enough at some point, or he wouldn't be a professional footballer. The vast majority however, aren't capable of sustaining whatever they did to impress game after game, season after season. Careers are spent descending to weaker and weaker leagues.

Slivka's in this category for me.

Captain Trips
23-01-2020, 06:43 PM
It will have to be a no now.

The Wireless
23-01-2020, 06:53 PM
Sorry not for me. Just not good enough.

Callum_62
23-01-2020, 07:45 PM
Absolute shocker he had last night, as did most for the first 45 mins

I'd hardly write him off based on that

He's often a solid 7, frustrating as that is as he could probably be much more than that

Happy to keep as part of the squad

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 07:50 PM
Nope.

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 07:51 PM

He's often a solid 7, frustrating as that is as he could probably be much more than that

Nothing about last night. He’s a mediocre player that hasn’t improved or the team doesn’t improve when he’s in it.

HibbyAndy
23-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Nah , Get rid ,

2 years doon the line and we are still undecided , Has never ever grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck

Scored at Ibrox and Easter rd against Celtc apart from that ? Nah , Get rid

penihibs
23-01-2020, 08:11 PM
Time up for him..

Stuart93
23-01-2020, 08:14 PM

He’s not often a solid 7? One game he’ll be a 2 then a 7 then back to a 2 the next

He’s far too inconsistent for where we want to be

Callum_62
23-01-2020, 08:18 PM
He’s not often a solid 7? One game he’ll be a 2 then a 7 then back to a 2 the next

He’s far too inconsistent for where we want to beDon't see it, rarely has a shocker

delbert
23-01-2020, 08:22 PM
Time up for him..

Totally agree, look at the body language and to be frank, lack of effort at the Accies goal last night, looked uninterested and so should we be in keeping him

The Modfather
23-01-2020, 08:27 PM
Depends who we bring in, but I don’t think we’ll learn anything new by playing Slivka between now and the end of the season. Whenever there’s a space up for grabs I’d rather give Murray a run and see if he can take his chance or another one we’re best moving on.

erin go bragh
23-01-2020, 08:48 PM
All our starting midfield were poor in that first half but Slivka lost his man for their first goal . I wouldn’t be too fussed if he was allowed to leave as we need a midfielder who stamps his authority in every game . Not one in three at best .

LaMotta
23-01-2020, 11:00 PM
I remember a couple of games after Slivka's arrival after a 1-1 draw up at Dundee there was a thread on here waxing lyrical about him being a baller and putting in a great performance.

It was totally puzzling analysis because that he day he put in a 6 out of 10 display, didnt do much wrong but didnt really do anything of note - the type of performance that we've seen consistently from him over the last 2 years.

It might have been the Juventus link, possibly the fact the had lots of international caps ( both red herrings) or maybe it was his peach of a goal against Rangers - but some people were clearly overestating his ability and continued to do so for some time. In fact some still do.

The 90+2
23-01-2020, 11:05 PM
Don't see it, rarely has a shocker

He’s never a consistent 7 unless you go by the Hanlon is a 8/9 every game.

He’s 5 with the occasional 8. Drops to 3.

JDT
24-01-2020, 06:11 AM
His best game was against Rangers when he scored a peach, which if memory serves was his first. That for me says it all

CockneyRebel
24-01-2020, 06:26 AM
Never been a great fan of his - don’t think his heart is in it. Never see him noise the game up by making a strong challenge or getting in the refs ear. Ability-wise not bad.

Being a good centre mid in our league is more than just what you do with the ball. And he’s nothing special when it comes to that either.

I've been in the "give him more game time" category for his whole time here but you have to draw the line somewhere and his time must surely be up now. There is definitely something missing here, lack of commitment, bit shy in the tackling department, attitude when we are losing, never looking like he'd do whatever it takes to stay in the team, not exactly a wage thief but never employee of the month either. We need to free up his wage now and get someone in who will take the job seriously.

allezsauzee
24-01-2020, 06:33 AM
Wouldn't be inclined to give him a new contract and if we can get someone else in , we'd be as well letting him go sooner rather than later.

Musselbound
24-01-2020, 07:04 AM
Useful squad player but has had plenty chances to cement his place in the team. Would be surprised if he got another contract.

Weegreenman
24-01-2020, 11:54 AM
I know there’s a player in him but he’s not getting a regular first team action. I think his head is down, time to get rid.

B.H.F.C
25-01-2020, 12:54 PM
Not even on the bench today.

DaveF
25-01-2020, 01:04 PM

Not surprised. Heart of a mouse when it comes to a scrap.

If only Murray had been given the number of opportunities Slivka has had we might have seen him flourish.

MyJo
25-01-2020, 01:06 PM

I think his time is up.

If an offer comes in for him this month and we can sign a replacement it'll be accepted otherwise he will be away at the end of his contact in the summer.

I think he has good qualities but he isn't suited to Scottish Football and hasn't adjusted to it since being here. Will do well if he goes somewhere where he can get time on the ball without as much of the physical stuff and good luck to him when it happens.

inglisavhibs
25-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Every professional footballer impresses someone enough at some point, or he wouldn't be a professional footballer. The vast majority however, aren't capable of sustaining whatever they did to impress game after game, season after season. Careers are spent descending to weaker and weaker leagues.

Slivka's in this category for me.
That about sums it up, decent ability but can’t sustain it. Think we might try and offload him this week if we can get someone in.

Pilrig_Sauzee
25-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Time to go.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2020, 01:19 PM
Was a big advocate of his after what I thought was a really promising first season and looked okay last year - but he really needed to prove his worth this year, and he just doesn’t offer enough.

Be interesting to see where he goes after us, but his wage could surely be better used.

Weegreenman
25-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Had plenty chances and has never grasped them. An average midfielder who’s only a good bench warmer and maybe not even that if I’m honest.

I want to see hungry players, players that’ll come on and make that difference, Slivka does not fit that category.

However having said all that he’ll get my 100% backing as long as he wears the jersey with a bit of pride.

B.H.F.C
25-01-2020, 01:26 PM
Was a big advocate of his after what I thought was a really promising first season and looked okay last year - but he really needed to prove his worth this year, and he just doesn’t offer enough.

Be interesting to see where he goes after us, but his wage could surely be better used.

I thought he needed to prove his worth last year as opposed to this. We lost players, he had the chance to step up, he didn’t.

Brightside
25-01-2020, 01:26 PM
I’ve heard he’s actually suspended today?

Stevie Reid
25-01-2020, 01:27 PM
I thought he needed to prove his worth last year as opposed to this. We lost players, he had the chance to step up, he didn’t.

I might be wrong but I think he’s had a fair number of injuries in the last two seasons, but largely been fit this year.

Roxyhibee
25-01-2020, 01:40 PM
A player like Slivka with plenty ability suffers from the one thing that makes the difference between a top player and an average one. Inconsistency. Sometimes really up for it and dazzling, lots of other times, not.

It’s why we and other clubs our size can get them and big clubs dump them eventually.

hibee-boys
25-01-2020, 02:01 PM
No.....close the thread.

HairyMM
25-01-2020, 02:11 PM
not good enough so part ways in summer

WestCoastHibby
25-01-2020, 05:22 PM
Over the piece he’s contributing very little.
Pi55 poor

Unseen work
25-01-2020, 05:33 PM
Where was he today?

Billy Whizz
25-01-2020, 05:38 PM
Doubtful, only on 4 league bookings
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=75050

B.H.F.C
25-01-2020, 05:54 PM

Can’t have been. If you get suspended for accumulating yellow cards the suspension kicks in after 14 days. So given he was available during the week, he can’t have been suspended.

ahibby
25-01-2020, 10:50 PM
He is out just a matter of time.

calumhibee1
26-01-2020, 09:58 AM
He’s never a consistent 7 unless you go by the Hanlon is a 8/9 every game.

He’s 5 with the occasional 8. Drops to 3.

Slivka near enough every week just scrapes pass marks and no more. He’s very rarely much worse than that but he’s also very rarely much better. Time to go imo.

Also seems to be injured/vanishes from the whole squad far too often.