PDA

View Full Version : Doidge, what we’ve missed against them

Liam6270
26-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Credit to Doidge today he never stopped and Gave Berra and Halkett a tough afternoon. That lone striker role can be a tough gig but I thought he was outstanding today, nothing flashy just good old fashioned centre forward play

SanFranHibs
26-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Credit to Doidge today he never stopped and Gave Berra and Halkett a tough afternoon. That lone striker role can be a tough gig but I thought he was outstanding today, nothing flashy just good old fashioned centre forward play

And picking up the late free kicks to take the edge of the game was great work. Invited the shoves in the back and was duly obliged.

Good stuff.

ABZHFC
26-12-2019, 01:44 PM
Doidgey Doidgey, Doidgey Doidgey :not worth:not worth

Borderhibbie76
26-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Was immense today in what was a pretty thankless role

Crab apple
26-12-2019, 02:14 PM
He never gave them a moments peace and he wins his fair share of headers.

I_Love_Latapy
Agree. And what a difference with Boyle to play off him.

B.H.F.C
Put Berra on the floor after 30 seconds. Set the tone.

Shrekko
26-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Quietly brilliant today.

We’d have won the first derby if he’d played too.

hibsbollah
26-12-2019, 02:21 PM
He wasn't really a lone striker, Boyle was up with him all the time and the two of them were magnificent together.

NC1875
26-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Brilliant after 30 secs when he let Berra know he was in a game, set the tone and never gave Berra or the fatty Halkett a minutes peace all game

hibeg
26-12-2019, 02:24 PM
And picking up the late free kicks to take the edge of the game was great work. Invited the shoves in the back and was duly obliged.

Good stuff.

Very impressed with the way he gives the opposition centre backs a hard time
It was the same in the Dons game when he was up against McKenna and Co
He wins more than his fair share of headers.
It’s been years since we had someone with his presence up top.

Pretty Boy
26-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Tough shift for him but he was immense. Won headers, unsettled their CBs, drew fouls and ran himself into the ground. He was out on his feet at the end.

hibIBZ
26-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Put in a huge amount of work. Didn't give Berra or halket an easy route out. Challenged for every header. Looked dead on his feet in the last 5 mins but still managed to win freekicks and take the pressure off.
Great performance

Andy74
26-12-2019, 02:31 PM

We played two up front but, yes, agree he did well.

calumhibee1
26-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Absolutely schooled Berra and Halkett. My MOTM, outstanding performance.

wookie70
26-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Good first half but thought he was poor in the second. Very slow and although he does try to pressure defenders he takes so long to get there the ball is gone. He stops the likes of Berra booming headers 40 yards back it us but I think I will have the same thoughts about Doidge as I did about Grant Holt. I simply don't see the effort that doesn't really effect anything and the importance of winning headers when they go to the opposition. All that being said he did have the wee spell where he scored a few goals which Holt never managed and he is the type of player who is useful at Tiny.

Boyle was far more effective today imo and always looked liked he would be our main goal threat. If Doidge could get flick ons that Boyle could run onto we may have a perfect partnership.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Good first half but thought he was poor in the second. Very slow and although he does try to pressure defenders he takes so long to get there the ball is gone. He stops the likes of Berra booming headers 40 yards back it us but I think I will have the same thoughts about Doidge as I did about Grant Holt. I simply don't see the effort that doesn't really effect anything and the importance of winning headers when they go to the opposition. All that being said he did have the wee spell where he scored a few goals which Holt never managed and he is the type of player who is useful at Tiny.

Boyle was far more effective today imo and always looked liked he would be our main goal threat. If Doidge could get flick ons that Boyle could run onto we may have a perfect partnership.

Could the reason Boyle was so effective be that his big strike partner was occupying two centre halves?

stoneyburn hibs
26-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Didn't see it but this guy is really producing now. Berra struggled against him today, long time coming.

EdinMike
26-12-2019, 03:31 PM
The way he put Christophe Error on his arse in the first few minutes, you knew he was up for it and in for a good game. It’s not often you put a striker up for MOTM for not scoring but the boy was immense.

wookie70
26-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Could the reason Boyle was so effective be that his big strike partner was occupying two centre halves?
He was nowhere near the centre halves with the two goals although he did some good work making the clearing header difficult before Allan won the tackle that put Boyle through. Doidge won a good few headers in the first half but how many went to Hibs players. I'm looking for a Mixu type player who passed the ball with his head rather than just getting a flick on.

Annoying Centre Halves is all well and good but I want a wee bit more than that. He needs to get back among the goals for me but today wasn't that type of game as we never really pressured them for any length of time.

hibeg
26-12-2019, 03:48 PM

Wookie, it’s all about opinions but surely you can’t compare him to Holt,who was in his mid 30s playing in the championship. I agree he is not the fastest but by Christ he is a nuisance to SPL defenders.
He has won plenty of ball in the air over the last few months. Half the time he was playing up top on his own. 😳
To put it in perspective, who was the last Hibs striker who won more flick ons ?
I’m racking my brain, but Chris Killen was not bad !!
If he cost 250 k then I think it was Money well spent.

wookie70
26-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Wookie, it’s all about opinions but surely you can’t compare him to Holt,who was in his mid 30s playing in the championship. I agree he is not the fastest but by Christ he is a nuisance to SPL defenders.
He has won plenty of ball in the air over the last few months. Half the time he was playing up top on his own. 😳
To put it in perspective, who was the last Hibs striker who won more flick ons ?
I’m racking my brain, but Chris Killen was not bad !!
If he cost 250 k then I think it was Money well spent.

I was comparing his style to Holts. Slow, annoys Centre Halves and wins flick ons that don't often go to his strike partner. Winning a flick on and the ball going to the opposition is better than the defender winning the ball but it doesn't do much for me. Winning flick ons playing up top on your own is pointless. He has been a decent signing but I don't share your appreciation of a flick on. I want him to get in the box far more and use that ariel ability where it matters most. He had a spell doing that to be fair and hopefully Ross can find a formation that uses his abilities. Boyle playing off him may well work well as Martin seems to have found some finishing ability.

26-12-2019, 04:03 PM
He wins a good amount of headers in our own box defending corners too.

wookie70
26-12-2019, 04:04 PM
He wins a good amount of headers in our own box defending corners too. He definitely gets credit for that from me.

Flanny boy
26-12-2019, 04:10 PM
The big man was superb today,great to see

Bostonhibby
26-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Had a great match today, well done big man.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hibeg
26-12-2019, 04:12 PM
My point is that Holt would never in the position to win anything in the SPL as in my opinion he was past it and to be frank a bit of a huddy
You don’t rate his flick ons, but for years opposition central defender have had the freedom to do what they want as wehaven’t had anybody to compete with them and make them think they are in a game.
Yet again today he was excellent at roughing them up.
His job is not all about scoring.
He is a team player

Golden Bear
26-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Let's give credit where credit is due and no ifs and buts about it.

lyonhibs
26-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Ask Berra which Hibs striker has given him more of a game in the air in a Tynecastle Derby. It'll be a short list.

Northernhibee
26-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Look at what the two go players did at either side of the pitch.

Ikpeazu got the ball but only ever fell over, blootered it wide or gave it away. He had nothing to offer so our other defenders could focus on Clare, Hickey and Meschino advancing and nullified their attacking threat.

Doidge won most headers and moved about a lot, bringing in Boyle and Horgan and allowing us to have more o an attacking threat. Because of Doidge they had much more to contend with and they made two vital errors at the back.

Pretty Boy
26-12-2019, 05:15 PM
He wins a good amount of headers in our own box defending corners too.

Yep, huge asset on that front as well.

SunshineOnLeith
26-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Don't think he was brilliant today (not slating him or anything like that, he just didn't get enough service) but I really liked that you could see how much he was enjoying it against Berra. And, conversely, how much Berra was hating life.

hfc rd
26-12-2019, 11:53 PM
I had my doubts pre-match as I’ve seen him struggle in that lone striker role but he was absolutely immense. He never gave Berra & Halkett a moments peace. Constantly in their faces and winning fouls, headers, holding the ball up well and bringing his teammates into play.

I thought Doidge was excellent!

Jones28
27-12-2019, 12:05 AM
Probably as effective a performance in a derby as you could want from a striker who didn’t score. Bullied, hassled, won his headers and out himself about while Boyle did his thing.

FilipinoHibs
27-12-2019, 02:18 AM
Very impressed with the way he gives the opposition centre backs a hard time
It was the same in the Dons game when he was up against McKenna and Co
He wins more than his fair share of headers.
It’s been years since we had someone with his presence up top.

Alan Gordon and Steve Archibald and Stephen Fletcher are the one I remember over the last 50 years. Now the Doidge.

DetroitHibs
27-12-2019, 02:21 AM
Think he'll be the gaffers first choice striker for the rest of the season.