PDA

View Full Version : Big Marv

lord bunberry
23-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Bring him home in the January window. **** heckingbottom for letting him go. He’s absolutely outstanding for Livingston this year and he’s exactly what we need right now.

DetroitHibs
23-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Livi aren't going to let him go.

Heisenberg
23-12-2019, 10:39 PM
He won’t be coming back, we definitely need someone like him though.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2019, 10:42 PM
Many on here said he couldnae play fitba

Who is laughing now?

Hibbyradge
23-12-2019, 10:51 PM
Many on here said he couldnae play fitba

Who is laughing now?

:dunno:

Who is laughing, Billy?

And why?

Vault Boy
23-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Baller and Hibs legend. Could very well still be doing a job for us this season, but unfortunately I think that'd only be the case if we hadn't let him go.

Fair play to him for reinvigorating his playing career whilst simultaneously launching one in media. Seems like a real grafter.

BILLYHIBS
23-12-2019, 10:58 PM

Who is laughing, Billy?

And why?

Big Marv because he is showing everyone what a good footballer he really is given a run of games and at a club where he is truly appreciated so much so that he is club captain

Steve88
23-12-2019, 10:58 PM
He won’t be coming back, we definitely need someone like him though.

I hope this is written up on the recruitment whiteboard

Since452
23-12-2019, 11:01 PM
Getting a regular game. Had to move to a much smaller club to get it. Good luck to him.

Unseen work
23-12-2019, 11:01 PM
I was actually on his Instagram earlier and noticed he doesn’t have any photos of him playing for Livingston, I could have swore he did? Maybe he’s deleted them?

He’s actually proving that he’s a real assed on the ball going forward too with his brute force and power. Got a fantastic assist at the weekend.

lord bunberry
23-12-2019, 11:29 PM
Getting a regular game. Had to move to a much smaller club to get it. Good luck to him.

Who is laughing, Billy?

And why?
Livingston are laughing, they got a brilliant player for nothing. He’s everything we need right now and he was our player. Heckingbottom let him go and we’re now trying to replace him. I remember folk saying he’d become injury prone, but it doesn’t look like that to me. There can be no argument that it was the wrong decision to let him leave, none.

Captain Trips
23-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Our midfield is like wet tissue paper on a windy day. MB would 100% tighten things up and I am certain with him in team from day one teams wouldnt have been walking through our team to reach the defenders so easily. He and anyone of his mould are sadly missing from our team and it has showed all season.

stoneyburn hibs
23-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Livingston are laughing, they got a brilliant player for nothing. He’s everything we need right now and he was our player. Heckingbottom let him go and we’re now trying to replace him. I remember folk saying he’d become injury prone, but it doesn’t look like that to me. There can be no argument that it was the wrong decision to let him leave, none.

I get your sentiment LB but I dont think Marv is the answer now. Maybe the 1st half of the season, he may have even kept Heckingbottom in a job longer. Guaranteed I'll be bemoaning this on boxing day.

Shrekko
24-12-2019, 12:05 AM
Vastly underrated as a footballer was big Marv. Won’t happen but I’d take him back in a shot.

ian cruise
24-12-2019, 04:55 AM
Seemingly doing a great job working within Livi youth set up as well as performing well for the first team. I know he has a lot of love for us but I can't see him coming back even if we asked, he'd be gambling a regular first team place alongside that coaching role to potentially be back sitting on a bench.

Scouse Hibee
24-12-2019, 06:50 AM

Some folk said his legs had gone, he must have found them again!

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2019, 06:58 AM
The biggest crime was letting Marv and Milligan go without bringing in a replacement

Judas boy Ojo was the replacement but he let Hecky down and took the Sheep silver

Josh Vela was plan B but it didn’t work out

I wonder if Vela still has a future at HIBS ?

Sammy7nil
24-12-2019, 07:13 AM
The biggest crime was letting Marv and Milligan go without bringing in a replacement

Judas boy Ojo was the replacement but he let Hecky down and took the Sheep silver

Josh Vela was plan B but it didn’t work out

I wonder if Vela still has a future at HIBS ?

Vela ? Who he :wink: disappeared of the face of ER

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2019, 07:14 AM
Vela ? Who he :wink: disappeared of the face of ER
:agree:

Onceinawhile
24-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Love the guy, but no thanks.

He's the past. We should be looking forwards.

Allant1981
24-12-2019, 08:06 AM
He wasnt getting a regular game here and it was the correct decision at the time to let him go, we didnt sign a replacement which is the problem, hopefully this is addressed in january

.Sean.
24-12-2019, 09:22 AM
We’d win on Thursday if he was playing

Oscar T Grouch
24-12-2019, 09:30 AM
We’d win on Thursday if he was playing

We’ll win on Thursday without him playing. Hearts are dug *****

Northernhibee
24-12-2019, 09:37 AM
He wasnt getting a regular game here and it was the correct decision at the time to let him go, we didnt sign a replacement which is the problem, hopefully this is addressed in january

This, sadly.

24-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Breaking news - a source close to hibs has informed me marvin bartley isn't the only defensive midfielder on the planet.

Lancs Harp
24-12-2019, 11:13 AM
I dont know about everyone else but I was dying to see Marv score for Hibs. Would have been a fab moment for sure. Alas.

Chefki Kuqi
24-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Glad that he left on a relative high, he maybe would have more to give this season and next but it didn’t appear that way towards the end of his tenure, possibly down to injuries. The biggest crime was not replacing him or Milligan as others have said, or loaning out Block and the boy from St Johnstone who were youth candidates to replace.

He’s become a bigger hibee than me since he’s joined so I hope the club brings him back in some capacity, preferably as a coach.

ChooseLife
24-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Breaking news - a source close to hibs has informed me marvin bartley isn't the only defensive midfielder on the planet.

First one of note since Matty Jack, it's hard to find a good one.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2019, 12:36 PM
First one of note since Matty Jack, it's hard to find a good one.

It really isn't, I just don't think we looked. Stewart was excellent at that ball winning role. Craig Rocastle done a job for 6 months. Thomson could do that and much more. Claros too.

The Modfather
24-12-2019, 12:46 PM
As many have said, not replacing Marv was the issue rather than letting him go. We’d all have kept him, or Milligan, than not signing any replacement. He’s not got the mobility or athleticism we need aligned to his defensive strengths IMO. Glad he’s doing well at Livi, but think he is now suited to a smaller club that plays to his strengths and where mid-table is a good season, rather than someone who could help us get to where we want to be. Challenging for 3rd & 4th

Weegreenman
24-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Our midfield is missing an ingredient. Too much of the same thing Allan & Mallan. Big Marv would compliment Allan perfectly.

lord bunberry
24-12-2019, 06:01 PM
So many people saying the problem was not replacing him. He didn’t need to be replaced, he’s exactly what we needed. He’d have played almost every game under Ross.

Robbo6-2
24-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Must admit Marvs form for Livy has taken me by surprise. I felt he was maybe finished at our level but he has been brilliant for Livy this year.

I felt it at the time it was the right decision for both parties.

In my opinion Heckys biggest failure wasnt so much as letting Marv go but was the fact he thot Vela was a better alternative. How wrong could he be.

We miss a proper holding midfielder badly. Both Marv and Milligan have not been replaced and must be Jack Ross first signing.

BILLYHIBS
24-12-2019, 06:24 PM
So many people saying the problem was not replacing him. He didn’t need to be replaced, he’s exactly what we needed. He’d have played almost every game under Ross.

The problem is Hecky released him

I said at the time Bartley was the real deal although admittedly latterly he appeared to be putting his body on the line for the club playing whilst carrying an injury with a heavily strapped leg versus Aberdeen at home in a 1-2 loss and then only appearing as a sub for the rest of last season

supermcginn
24-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Fantastic player. disgusting to let him go.

B.H.F.C
24-12-2019, 06:42 PM

He hadn't been a regular since 2017. I don’t think Marv would currently be improving us that much. When we played them a couple of months back he wasn’t good and the only reason anybody took any notice of him during that game was because of who he is.

Captain Trips
24-12-2019, 08:11 PM
He hadn't been a regular since 2017. I don’t think Marv would currently be improving us that much. When we played them a couple of months back he wasn’t good and the only reason anybody took any notice of him during that game was because of who he is.

Will disagree our midfield offers no steel. He and anyone else capable of sitting in their would increase us greatly.

Our defensive side of things has been shambolic at times in fact more so than in last few years. Sadly lacking a MB in team.

Bostonhibby
24-12-2019, 08:17 PM
So many people saying the problem was not replacing him. He didn’t need to be replaced, he’s exactly what we needed. He’d have played almost every game under Ross.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hibs4185
24-12-2019, 08:27 PM
Fantastic player. disgusting to let him go.

Too right supermcginn

B.H.F.C
24-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Will disagree our midfield offers no steel. He and anyone else capable of sitting in their would increase us greatly.

Our defensive side of things has been shambolic at times in fact more so than in last few years. Sadly lacking a MB in team.

Lacking that type of player. Don’t think we’re lacking him.

Loved Marv in his day but when he did appear last year he wasn’t the same player.

Andy74
24-12-2019, 10:27 PM
He wasn’t released. He agreed his move and advised Hibs. It was his choice to go.

I don’t think he’d be a regular in this team either anyway.

lord bunberry
24-12-2019, 11:51 PM
He wasn’t released. He agreed his move and advised Hibs. It was his choice to go.

He agreed his move because he was told he wouldn’t be part of the managers plans. The manager got that wrong and he was sacked for his inability to build a balanced team. The new manager has come in and is looking for a Marvin Bartley type player. We already had one and his name was Marvin Bartley.

BILLYHIBS
25-12-2019, 06:46 AM

:agree:

Signed a precontract with Livvy

Eyrie
25-12-2019, 09:24 AM
I like Bartley and am pleased to see him doing well with Livingston but I agreed that it was time to replace him after last season because, whilst his reading of the game was still there, his legs weren't.

As is regularly pointed out, the problem wasn't letting an ageing Bartley leave, it was failing to replace him.

Smartie
25-12-2019, 11:53 AM
I never once saw Marvin Bartley play and look like his legs had gone, but I went along with the decision and it had been said so much by so many people I just assumed that at the age he is at, there must have been something that I just hadn’t seen.

Hibiza
25-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Gave the ball away to many times.

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2019, 01:19 PM
Strange to me that people say Lewis is limited and not what we need to move forward but big Marv is exactly what we need. Lewis has much more to his game than marv tbh. Marv fills a great niche in certain games but really, he wasn't and isn't what we need. He'd play tomorrow, sure, but he wouldn't be back in till the return fixture.

DetroitHibs
25-12-2019, 01:42 PM
I love big Marv, but we needed to recruit a better option. He’s currently playing for a bottom six club and we should be having aspirations of being a top four club. The problem wasn’t letting Marv go, the problem was not recruiting a better replacement.

lord bunberry
25-12-2019, 03:00 PM
I love big Marv, but we needed to recruit a better option. He’s currently playing for a bottom six club and we should be having aspirations of being a top four club. The problem wasn’t letting Marv go, the problem was not recruiting a better replacement.

He’s currently playing for a top six club that’s above us in the league.

supermcginn
25-12-2019, 03:08 PM

They are above us actually, and he's had a massive role in doing that.

BILLYHIBS
25-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Gave the ball away to many times.
I always thought his ball retention was quite good all he had to do was win the ball back and pass it square to Dylan or SJM and was also surprisingly good on the ball in tight situations played extremely well in the League Cup Final versus Ross County kept driving us forward at every opportunity

Keekback certainly thought he was a very good player for us they were scared of his physicality

At the end of the day he has moved on and I am pleased things have worked out for him

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone looking in and let’s do this tomorrow

lord bunberry
25-12-2019, 04:18 PM
They are above us actually, and he's had a massive role in doing that.

He has, he’s their captain and he’s been excellent this season.

DetroitHibs
25-12-2019, 05:08 PM
He’s currently playing for a top six club that’s above us in the league.

Fair enough mate, but generally they are a bottom six club. I can still see them ending up there.

Deansy
25-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Bring him home in the January window. **** heckingbottom for letting him go. He’s absolutely outstanding for Livingston this year and he’s exactly what we need right now.

Seconded - mate and myself were talking about this earlier, we know he can do it - he knows he can do it ! The plus being it would drive our once-rivals over the edge !