PDA

View Full Version : Different role for Hanlon against them

Liam6270
22-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Bit of a different thought here but what about playing Hanlon in front of the defence and pushing Hallberg on a bit? Allan has been ***** in the last 2 games and we need some defensive minded kind approach against them

Diclonius
22-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Bit of a different thought here but what about playing Hanlon in front of the defence and pushing Hallberg on a bit? Allan has been ***** in the last 2 games and we need some defensive minded kind approach against them

Hanlon as DM is a very good idea, but not one we should be trying for the first time away to Hearts.

Pretty Boy
22-12-2019, 11:44 AM
We've played Hanlon at DM before. I'm not sure it was a huge success. The 6-2 defeat to Rangers is the game that stick in my head but I'm sure there were a couple of other occasions.

Liam6270
22-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Just think against them we could do with a bit more bite in midfield not a fancy dan combo of Allan and Mallan, I’m sure Ross will have realised this by now

Hibeesmad
22-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Hanlon’s best role would be the bench.

Iain G
22-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Just think against them we could do with a bit more bite in midfield not a fancy dan combo of Allan and Mallan, I’m sure Ross will have realised this by now

We do have Josh Vela to come back in to add some bite though!

Vault Boy
22-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Haven't seen anything from Jackson to suggest he's better than Paul.

Brightside
22-12-2019, 12:37 PM
I like Hanlon in a 352 v them. Hanlon Daz Jackson. Boyle and Stevenson out wide. Hallberg Slivka Allan in the middle. Bring on Horgan for Lewis in 2nd half.

Brightside
22-12-2019, 12:38 PM

We’ve not seen anything from any of our defenders to suggest that. Won’t stop the comments mind.

Hibeesmad
22-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Hanlon is probably one of the weakest 'experienced players' I have seen for his position. I'd rather Jackson in there, he would cope with Uche a lot better than Hanlon would imo.

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Hanlon is probably one of the weakest 'experienced players' I have seen for his position. I'd rather Jackson in there, he would cope with Uche a lot better than Hanlon would imo.

Has Hanlon struggled with him before? He bullied Daz last season and Porto this season, Hanlon has dealt with him fine up until now because he has a brain and doesn’t just engage in a pulling and pushing match about who is the strongest.

Vault Boy
22-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Opinions ey. I think Hanlon has bossed Uche every time he's played against him, even when the result has gone against us.

Can't remember Paul letting us down against Hearts too often in recent times.

Hibeesmad
22-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Opinions ey. I think Hanlon has bossed Uche every time he's played against him, even when the result has gone against us.

His recent form is a good enough reason to drop him.

wookie70
22-12-2019, 02:16 PM
His recent form is a good enough reason to drop him.

Again opinions, I would say Hanlon has been our best defender since Heck left. Not back to his best and with one terrible half against the Dons but otherwise has played well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-12-2019, 02:42 PM
I think that Ambrose brought out the best in Hanlon, but maybe that boat has sailed.

Brightside
22-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Again opinions, I would say Hanlon has been our best defender since Heck left. Not back to his best and with one terrible half against the Dons but otherwise has played well.

100% correct

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 05:41 PM

you not remember Olly Lee turning him at ER last christmas and banging in a peach ???

Scouse Hibee
22-12-2019, 05:46 PM

Why would we leave one of our best defenders on the bench?

Viva_Palmeiras
22-12-2019, 07:32 PM

Minnie the clue is in his name ;)

SMAXXA
22-12-2019, 08:32 PM

In all honesty he’s not got much competition to claim he’s one of our best defenders. He should play against hearts as not been that bad but he’s had his moments like most defenders this season

I_Love_Latapy
22-12-2019, 08:40 PM
I like Hanlon in a 352 v them. Hanlon Daz Jackson. Boyle and Stevenson out wide. Hallberg Slivka Allan in the middle. Bring on Horgan for Lewis in 2nd half.

Agree. This is where I am. Not been tried by Hecky or Jack. Feels like it could work. Hanlon is just fine IMHO.

Vault Boy
23-12-2019, 12:15 AM
you not remember Olly Lee turning him at ER last christmas and banging in a peach ???

Yeah I do. Far, far more to do with the excellent strike than the defender who was pressing him well outside the area. Can hardly account for that.

AZhibee
23-12-2019, 12:26 AM

Should take a look at this Bartley fellow that plays for Livingston, looks to be quite the player.

PISTOL1875
23-12-2019, 02:34 PM
Yeah I do. Far, far more to do with the excellent strike than the defender who was pressing him well outside the area. Can hardly account for that.

Well if Hanlon was a better defender then Lee wouldn't have been able to turn in the first place and get the shot away. Hanlon totally at fault in this instance.........

Scouse Hibee
23-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Sometimes players produce a bit of magic, it happens no one to blame.

A Hi-Bee
23-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Should take a look at this Bartley fellow that plays for Livingston, looks to be quite the player.

An if we cannie get him I wonder if David Gray could give us an hour or so there, just to add a wee bit of dig in there, Hanlon is required at the back.

ancient hibee
23-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Bad enough having to replace one centre half without making it two.

1875STEVE
23-12-2019, 09:45 PM
Same idea, but different player, what about Whittaker?

wookie70
24-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Same idea, but different player, what about Whittaker?
I think Whitts has done well there for the most part in the limited opportunities he has had. I presume he has been injured though as we have been crying out for someone to patrol the centre of the park with Hallberg. Whitts hasn't played for ages though and that would be my concern with SDG and Daz.

WeeRussell
24-12-2019, 06:58 PM
I’m 100% against Hanlon moving to defensive midfield. And even more 100% against doing it so we can drop Scott Allan.

Just my opinion of course.

supermcginn
24-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Uche will ragdoll him again. His time is up at Hibs.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2019, 07:46 PM

Again? When did it happen before?

wookie70
24-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Again? When did it happen before? I think it was when Porteous was ragdolled but Hanlon or Lewis have to pick up the blame for all defensive mistakes.

Brightside
24-12-2019, 08:12 PM
The amount of people who don’t actually watch football is staggering. Merry Xmas.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2019, 08:46 PM
I think it was when Porteous was ragdolled but Hanlon or Lewis have to pick up the blame for all defensive mistakes.

Yeah. The goals Uche has Vs Hibs were Gray and Porteous fault, not Hanlon. Guess that goes against the narrative, though.

supermcginn
24-12-2019, 09:47 PM
The amount of people who don’t actually watch football is staggering. Merry Xmas.

The amount of people who constantly stand up for a player who is poor is staggering. Merry Xmas.

supermcginn
24-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Again? When did it happen before?

It happened after he gave Olly Lee half an hour to score at er last year.

Scouse Hibee
24-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Never been ragdolled by Uche, one of our best defenders.

wookie70
24-12-2019, 11:06 PM
It happened after he gave Olly Lee half an hour to score at er last year. While Efe and Daz looked on without offering any assistance. No idea how the 3 centre halves, Hanlon included, allowed a shot to come in never mind one that could beat a goalie. Hanlon wasn't great in that instance but there were other defenders who should have spotted that the only chance for a shot was the one he took and they should have closed it down. They weren't doing anything useful at the time anyway

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2019, 05:49 AM
It happened after he gave Olly Lee half an hour to score at er last year.

Did he? The guy hit a screamer than he'll never hit again. I'd happily let him shoot 100 more times from there against us.

Also, what position does Lee play? Surely a midfielder scoring has you asking where our midfield was?

MWHIBBIES
25-12-2019, 05:50 AM
The amount of people who constantly stand up for a player who is poor is staggering. Merry Xmas.

Is it really staggering that people defend a Hibs legend who has been brilliant for years?

Since90+2
25-12-2019, 05:56 AM
Hanlon's form over the past 18 months has been patchy to say the least. He's an average Scottish Premiership centre half , not totally pish but not brilliant either.

Gloucester Hibs
25-12-2019, 06:33 AM
The last derby at the PBS I thought a combination of Daz and SDG dealt with Uche comfortably

Gloucester Hibs
25-12-2019, 06:36 AM
Did he? The guy hit a screamer than he'll never hit again. I'd happily let him shoot 100 more times from there against us.

Also, what position does Lee play? Surely a midfielder scoring has you asking where our midfield was?

Dunno like, against us their “1 in 100” wonder strike tends to go in. Walker, Nicholson, Ozturk, Hickey etc etc

Liam6270
25-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Allan will prob go missing again but he’ll be free of criticism on here

JimBHibees
25-12-2019, 08:06 AM
Allan will prob go missing again but he’ll be free of criticism on here

Certainly needs to step up, personally I would consider Mallan playing where Scotty currently is to allow him to get shots away as imo Hearts keepers are pants. Allan could be threat from bench with Silvka starting also.