PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Windows

Steve88
21-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Alot of work required if we are to compete consistently for 3rd & 4th place.

Overhaul in defence required+ 2 additions in midfield required.

Over the next couple of transfer windows I'd be looking to offload (or move into coaching roles internally) the following players:

Vella - no further comment required (Loan in january hopefully with a club paying 50% wages.... clutches at straws)

Slivka - I like him but the fact we're now seeing him as a 1st team pick against the team of a 2/3 years ago evidences our regression in midfield.

Middleton - cancel loan deal in January

Mallon - Divisive decision but SA is #1 and he doesn't have the quality to operate anywhere else consistently

Oli Shaw - Loan deal in Jan. evaluate performance. Look to move on in summer if no progress (22 in march 2020 and still hasn't established himself)

S. Whittaker - Move on in Summer

T. James - move on in summer

A Jackson - move on in Summer

P. Hanlon - replacement required in summer - look to keep in a coaching role ( P.Hanlon cannot be a first team start for next season)

L. Stevenson - see above (Paul Hanlon)

D. Grey - see above

D. Mcgregor - see above

Ozyhibby
21-12-2019, 12:20 PM
I would argue we can’t wait until summer to move some of these guys on. And I would include Newall in that as well.

We need a left sided centre half, a left back and a holding mid. Probably need a more aggressive midfielder as well. And Shaw needs replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allant1981
21-12-2019, 12:21 PM
I would argue we can’t wait until summer to move some of these guys on. And I would include Newall in that as well.

We need a left sided centre half, a left back and a holding mid. Probably need a more aggressive midfielder as well. And Shaw needs replaced.

And a really good penalty box striker

Callum_62
21-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Newell is definately worth keeping to see how he goes

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
21-12-2019, 12:26 PM
I get that he's not had his best season to date, but I genuinely can't understand the shouts that Paul Hanlon is in some way 'past it.'

He's 29 and hasn't had a serious, long term injury to bring his career into doubt. He's also the fittest player in the squad when it comes to the long distance/cardio tests.

I find it really strange. Not thinking he's good enough is another thing.

Steve88
21-12-2019, 12:29 PM
Newell was in my mind whilst writing this but performances under new management have led to me keeping him of this list.

He needs a strong second half of the season however...

Finding quality replacements in January is difficult. I’m content with not making wholesale changes in January - for the sake of making change - in order to avoid us rushing the process and bringing in garbage

southern hibby
21-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Tin hat on here, but there is no way I’d pay for Hanlon to become a coach at Hibs. We have just given long term contracts to SDG and DM to become coaches past their playing days.

How many coaches do we need to keep on from our defence, is Lewis next too? All these coaches need to be paid which eats into our playing budget. However I’m sure there will be arguments for keeping on.

GGTTH

Steve88
21-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Tin hat on here, but there is no way I’d pay for Hanlon to become a coach at Hibs. We have just given long term contracts to SDG and DM to become coaches past their playing days.

How many coaches do we need to keep on from our defence, is Lewis next too? All these coaches need to be paid which eats into our playing budget. However I’m sure there will be arguments for keeping on.

GGTTH

I think that'll probably be a fairly common view amongst the fans, I don't disagree with it. I understand what the club is trying to do by retaining DG + DM - installing that Hibs mentality, values, culture etc to future players. It's a great idea and helps to put some identify on the club for new players

Unseen work
21-12-2019, 09:03 PM
For me there’s not a chance I’d be getting rid of Mallan.

I have said it before, yes he’s not great defensively or a ball winner but he never came here with that reputation or expecting to do that role. He’s technically outstanding for this league, brilliant vision and range of passing. He very rarely gives the ball away and has a terrific strike.

I think he should be deployed like Celtic did with Commons. I appreciate Allan is the main man in that role but we would still get plenty out of him from subs, filling in when tired and injured.

Stevenson and Hanlon, whilst I’m there biggest fans would be a good players to keep within the squad and able to step in and do a job when required.

I would get rid of

Vela - Near impossible for him to salvage a career here and hasn’t looked good enough. Not as bad as other have made out though imo, maybe Ross would be able to change our opinion but I doubt it.

Whittikar - Past it and out the picture

Middleton - Good player but not showed near enough

Marciano - Not convinced he wants to be here and is costing us

Shaw and Murray - Loan deals

Jackson - I actually like what iv seen of him but seems like Porto, Hanlon and Mcgregor are all already ahead of him never mind another centre half.

I think ideally we should bring in a new centre half, left back, two defensive minded midfielders, a winger and a new striker.

Doidge although he had his purple patch and I actually really like him, I’m not convinced he will score consistently for us. Kamberi has proven he blows hot and cold.

Winger as Boyle is back from a long term injury and Horgan has proven inconsistent, they’re our only two options there.

Centre half and left back don’t need an explanation

2 midfielders to really strengthen us in there and add a bit of steel and leadership

There are plenty good players in Scotland that would be really good additions to our team imo.

BlackSheep
21-12-2019, 09:43 PM
For me there’s not a chance I’d be getting rid of Mallan.

I have said it before, yes he’s not great defensively or a ball winner but he never came here with that reputation or expecting to do that role. He’s technically outstanding for this league, brilliant vision and range of passing. He very rarely gives the ball away and has a terrific strike.

I think he should be deployed like Celtic did with Commons. I appreciate Allan is the main man in that role but we would still get plenty out of him from subs, filling in when tired and injured.

Stevenson and Hanlon, whilst I’m there biggest fans would be a good players to keep within the squad and able to step in and do a job when required.

I would get rid of

Vela - Near impossible for him to salvage a career here and hasn’t looked good enough.

Whittikar - Past it and out the picture

Middleton - Good player but not showed near enough

Marciano - Not convinced he wants to be here and is costing us

Shaw and Murray - Loan deals

I think ideally we should bring in a new centre half, left back, two defensive minded midfielders, a winger and a new striker.

Doidge although he had his purple patch and I actually really like him, I’m not convinced he will score consistently for us. Kamberi has proven he blows hot and cold.

Winger as Boyle is back from a long term injury and Horgan has proven inconsistent, they’re our only two options there.

Centre half and left back don’t need an explanation

2 midfielders to really strengthen us in there and add a bit of steel and leadership

Mallan rarely gives the ball away!!! Really!?

Just watch the build up to Celtic’s second goal last week... a lame, heartless clearance straight to a Celtic player... this type of thoughtless soft clearance has gotten Hibs’ defence in trouble on more than a few occasions this season.

I like Mallan, but with Scott Allan here, he should be an understudy to him and that’s it.

Jones28
21-12-2019, 09:51 PM
It’s not the current squad that are the problem, it’s that we have to make up for awful planning from the summer. This is the third January back in the top flight and the third time we have had to rebuild in January. Pretty poor stuff.

Unseen work
21-12-2019, 10:13 PM

Just watch the build up to Celtic’s second goal last week... a lame, heartless clearance straight to a Celtic player... this type of thoughtless soft clearance has gotten Hibs’ defence in trouble on more than a few occasions this season.

I like Mallan, but with Scott Allan here, he should be an understudy to him and that’s it.

It was Allan’s brutal pass that went straight to a Celtic player which lead to the goal.

He has his flaws but as a whole I would say his ball retention is good, certainly keeps it a hell of a lot more than Allan.

04Sauzee
21-12-2019, 10:20 PM

Wonder how fans critique players when they don't actually know who's doing what in a game

Steve88
22-12-2019, 09:43 AM
It’s not the current squad that are the problem, it’s that we have to make up for awful planning from the summer. This is the third January back in the top flight and the third time we have had to rebuild in January. Pretty poor stuff.

With the appointment of a sporting director in Hibernian this seems to clear up how the recruitment side of the business will now run going forward - no more, "It was the managers fault for recruiting him" . I think it was made clear the manager would be presented with a list of options and have a say in the players, but crucially it's the recruitment team/sporting director collating the list of talent - not the manager using his own contacts.

Interested to know if people seem to share that view on how things will be run going forward....

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Over the next couple of transfer windows I'd be looking to offload (or move into coaching roles internally) the following players:

Vella - no further comment required (Loan in january hopefully with a club paying 50% wages.... clutches at straws)

Slivka - I like him but the fact we're now seeing him as a 1st team pick against the team of a 2/3 years ago evidences our regression in midfield.

Mallon - Divisive decision but SA is #1 and he doesn't have the quality to operate anywhere else consistently

Oli Shaw - Loan deal in Jan. evaluate performance. Look to move on in summer if no progress (22 in march 2020 and still hasn't established himself)

P. Hanlon - replacement required in summer - look to keep in a coaching role ( P.Hanlon cannot be a first team start for next season)

D. Grey - see above

D. Mcgregor - see above

I wouldn't wait until the summer with those two. I would have them out asap..

Michael
22-12-2019, 11:24 AM

You don't think that forcing the two longest serving (starting) players out in January might have a negative impact on the team morale?

Ozyhibby
22-12-2019, 11:25 AM

I agree that we need to sign a left sided centre half and left back, although I would be keeping Hanlon and Stevenson as back up for now.

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 11:26 AM
You don't think that forcing the two longest serving (starting) players out in January might have a negative impact on the team morale?

Morale won't be affected if we bring in better players , results improve and we stop shipping so many goals.. IF these things happen then those two will soon be forgotten about....

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 11:30 AM

Even though Paul Hanlon has been our best defender in recent months? People need to start looking objectively at games and not just saying ‘ah we lost a goal so Hanlon isn’t good enough, he’s been turned once tonight so he’s too slow and finished’ - he struggled for a while at the start of the season, but his positioning at crosses on Friday night was exceptional, and Defoe barely got a sniff out of his side after the first 10 minutes, and even then he had the brains to foul him when he was turned.

No doubt he has spells in games where he makes little mistakes, but he is winning nearly all of his aerial duels and is the least of our worries just now.

I would still prefer to see an Ambrose type brought in for the other side and go back to a 3 at the back as I feel it gives us a better balance all the way forward, although it would mean recruiting both wing backs also.

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Even though Paul Hanlon has been our best defender in recent months? People need to start looking objectively at games and not just saying ‘ah we lost a goal so Hanlon isn’t good enough, he’s been turned once tonight so he’s too slow and finished’ - he struggled for a while at the start of the season, but his positioning at crosses on Friday night was exceptional, and Defoe barely got a sniff out of his side after the first 10 minutes, and even then he had the brains to foul him when he was turned.

No doubt he has spells in games where he makes little mistakes, but he is winning nearly all of his aerial duels and is the least of our worries just now.

I would still prefer to see an Ambrose type brought in for the other side and go back to a 3 at the back as I feel it gives us a better balance all the way forward, although it would mean recruiting both wing backs also.

No he has struggled all season and for the majority of last season as well..

Diclonius
22-12-2019, 11:33 AM
We arguably need an entirely new defence, and at least one ball winning midfielder.

If pushed for three first teamers only then I'd say CB, LB and DM.

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 11:34 AM

We are terrible with 4 at the back and you want to change to 3 at the back ??????????

Michael
22-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Morale won't be affected if we bring in better players , results improve and we stop shipping so many goals.. IF these things happen then those two will soon be forgotten about....

But more likely, we don't bring in better players and we're forced to play them because we forced PH and LS out.

We can sign another left back or center half, but getting rid of PH and LS will only make things worse.

silverhibee
22-12-2019, 11:39 AM
I get that he's not had his best season to date, but I genuinely can't understand the shouts that Paul Hanlon is in some way 'past it.'

He's 29 and hasn't had a serious, long term injury to bring his career into doubt. He's also the fittest player in the squad when it comes to the long distance/cardio tests.

I find it really strange. Not thinking he's good enough is another thing.

He has been hampered with niggle injuries for the last few years, has played in games where not a 100% fit, it is starting to catch up with him nowadays, think it was something like bruising of the bone in his ankle and it is a recurring thing for him.

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 11:40 AM
We are terrible with 4 at the back and you want to change to 3 at the back ??????????

If that’s your argument fair enough, I’ll leave it at that 😂

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 11:43 AM
If that’s your argument fair enough, I’ll leave it at that 😂

Probably for the best yes...

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Probably for the best yes...

If you think that because we concede goals with a back for then we shouldn’t go to a back 3 (which actually suits our defenders and has been a massive success for us in recent times) then you haven’t a clue I’m afraid.

LaMotta
22-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Mallan doesnt stand a chance when he also gets the blame for Scott Allan's mistakes.
:cb

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 11:53 AM
If you think that because we concede goals with a back for then we shouldn’t go to a back 3 (which actually suits our defenders and has been a massive success for us in recent times) then you haven’t a clue I’m afraid.

Ok then I will ask you when was the last time we played a back 3 for a considerable period of time and when was it a massive success ???

Box 17
22-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Probably not the best choice of words when talking about two great servants of our club.

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Ok then I will ask you when was the last time we played a back 3 for a considerable period of time and when was it a massive success ???

The season before last, under Lennon, when we probably had our last prolonged period of good results, when we had the players to do it (Ambrose and Hanlon either side of McGregor) Gray fit and available, our midfield three of McGinn McGeouch and Allan and two good options up front.

It’s simple, it gives us a balance across the pitch, at the moment trying to play a diamond in the middle of the park results in us needing our two full backs to provide the width, and leaves us short at the back when we lose the ball, especially when 3 of our 4 midfielders are attack minded players, and the other isn’t a natural holding player. Couple this with Porteous diving in and negating one of Hanlon’s massive abilities of coming out of defence with ball then I can’t see any reason why we wouldn’t try and sign and ball playing centre half to go that way again.

Greenworld
22-12-2019, 12:10 PM
It's job being a Hibs fan and Trying to act with a non knee jirk reaction at times.
We were 2 -0 down against rangers before the game even got going .
Positive didn't fold only lost one more.
Nobody is kidding on we need to get rid of some of the squad ( easier said than done)
Three players I certainly wouldn't be getting rid of would be .Hanlon. Stevenson and Mallan.
I'm not suggesting they should be starters every week but too good to just let go.
I think a there might be more leaving than coming this window I fine with that try and finish in 6th place maybe get a couple in at Jan but the real test will be the summer . Let's see what Ron Gordon is going to announce in January patience it's early doors

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Steve88
22-12-2019, 12:13 PM

I’m cautious of moving on too many too soon. Plus the January transfer window is a bit of a second pickings compared to the summer window - I’m content waiting until summer to see what better quality is out there...

hfc-1875
22-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Left back, centre back, defensive mid, left sided midfielder and another striker.

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 04:38 PM
The season before last, under Lennon, when we probably had our last prolonged period of good results, when we had the players to do it (Ambrose and Hanlon either side of McGregor) Gray fit and available, our midfield three of McGinn McGeouch and Allan and two good options up front.

It’s simple, it gives us a balance across the pitch, at the moment trying to play a diamond in the middle of the park results in us needing our two full backs to provide the width, and leaves us short at the back when we lose the ball, especially when 3 of our 4 midfielders are attack minded players, and the other isn’t a natural holding player. Couple this with Porteous diving in and negating one of Hanlon’s massive abilities of coming out of defence with ball then I can’t see any reason why we wouldn’t try and sign and ball playing centre half to go that way again.

Slight problems with your argument is that we don't have players McGinn , Ambrose , Mcgeough anymore do we ? Also Gray isn't fit and isn't available and hasn't been for a long time has he ??

So you mean our first season back in the SPFL then ???

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Slight problems with your argument is that we don't have players McGinn , Ambrose , Mcgeough anymore do we ? Also Gray isn't fit and isn't available and hasn't been for a long time has he ??

So you mean our first season back in the SPFL then ???

That was my point, I would like us to buy an Ambrose type player for the right side which would allow us to play the 3 as that’s where I feel we get the balance better. Like I also said, it would mean we would probably need two new full backs also.

we are hibs
22-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Realistically who is going to take people like james and vela off our hands? Moving these people on isnt as easy as it sounds and releasing them costs money. I would be emptying mallan first chance we possibly get but i dont think its going to happen (for same reasons above). Seen enough from Newell that i would give him till the end of the season at least. Im not overly impressed by naismith defensively, better going forward. Would give let him see out his loan deal but be thinking ahead for the summer looking for better.

We currently have 4 right backs on the books (which is ludicrious in itself when you think we only have 1 left back). And the one whos been here longest is still the best at defending imo. Thats a massive failure too.

J-C
22-12-2019, 05:19 PM
We need a stack of new players in and out.

Out...Vela, James, Whittaker (unless he's moving into coaching), Rocky as I feel he wants a move, Jackson (bit part player at Barnsley and the same down here, would prefer to look for a younger CH we could nurture like Porteous), Middleton was a waste of time and Shaw needs a loan deal to get game time.

We need 2 defensive minded midfielders but 1 would do to start with, a winger who can play either side, a left sided midfielder or wingback to cover Lewis or give him help on that side and a young CH, someone like Alan Stubbs laddie at Hamilton.

J-C
22-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Realistically who is going to take people like james and vela off our hands? Moving these people on isnt as easy as it sounds and releasing them costs money. I would be emptying mallan first chance we possibly get but i dont think its going to happen (for same reasons above). Seen enough from Newell that i would give him till the end of the season at least. Im not overly impressed by naismith defensively, better going forward. Would give let him see out his loan deal but be thinking ahead for the summer looking for better.

We currently have 4 right backs on the books (which is ludicrious in itself when you think we only have 1 left back). And the one whos been here longest is still the best at defending imo. Thats a massive failure too.

Vela and James would get a team in Div1 or 2 no problem, they're well enough known down there, they cost us nowt so would be easy enough to move on.

CMurdoch
22-12-2019, 05:26 PM

D. Grey - see above

D. Mcgregor - see above

That's very good of you guys to pay all those contracts up. You must be loaded.
I've spoken to Ron and he has agreed to deal with Slivka and Whittaker in the summer seeing as you guys are ponying up for the rest.

PISTOL1875
22-12-2019, 05:36 PM
That was my point, I would like us to buy an Ambrose type player for the right side which would allow us to play the 3 as that’s where I feel we get the balance better. Like I also said, it would mean we would probably need two new full backs also.

You do know those players don't come cheap ??

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 06:53 PM
You do know those players don't come cheap ??

Which is the cost of us failing to sort these positions out properly in previous windows. Although there is no set formula as to how much you need to pay for a good player by our standard.

22-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Having had two prior managers already in this calendar year JR has inherited a completely unbalanced squad all over the pitch. Goalkeepers with different strengths and weaknesses, right sided central defenders v left sided central defenders, right backs v left backs, defensive mids v attacking mids, wingers and strikers, there is imbalance all over the pitch.
JR is obviously trying to do the best with what he has inherited and until he has made it clear what style of football he would like to play I find it very difficult to suggest who should leave the club and in which positions people should be recruited. Having said that there are clearly a number of numpties who should be emptied out and there are obvious positions that required to be strengthened.

PISTOL1875
23-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Which is the cost of us failing to sort these positions out properly in previous windows. Although there is no set formula as to how much you need to pay for a good player by our standard.

You know its all very well banging about when we had this player and that player and how we set up in a back 3 under Lennon but as we've agreed we don't have these players now and the players we do have are simply not good enough...

It is stupid comparing that team to this team I am afraid... Pointless comparison being perfectly honest...........

Hibeesmad
23-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Efe Ambrose, a new left back, a ball winning midfielder, a winger/striker with loads of pace.

hibbysam
23-12-2019, 04:03 PM
You know its all very well banging about when we had this player and that player and how we set up in a back 3 under Lennon but as we've agreed we don't have these players now and the players we do have are simply not good enough...

It is stupid comparing that team to this team I am afraid... Pointless comparison being perfectly honest...........

You do realise this conversation is about what we would like in the transfer window and not what team selection we will play this week? I’d like us to sign a ball playing right sided centre half, a couple of wing backs and a central midfielder, this would allow us to play a number of different formations dependant on opposition, including, but not exclusive to, 3-5-2. I hope that’s ok with you.