PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Diet

Since90+2
21-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Seems a video of a Hibs fan eating a pizza folded in half with chips on it from last night has went viral on twitter.

Very randomly it's been retweeted by UFC fighter Jorge Masvidal.

Fair play to the lassie , it looked quite a good scran.

Pretty Boy
21-12-2019, 09:29 AM
I just had a roll with haggis, square sausage and a tattie scone for breakfast. Washed it down with half a bootle of the 1901 Irn Bru.

That's a proper Scottish diet.

MrRobot
21-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Seems a video of a Hibs fan eating a pizza folded in half with chips on it from last night has went viral on twitter.

chips on a pizza is top tier.

Since90+2
21-12-2019, 09:32 AM
I just had a roll with haggis, square sausage and a tattie scone for breakfast. Washed it down with half a bootle of the 1901 Irn Bru.

Sounds absolutely fantastic.

calumhibee1
21-12-2019, 10:33 AM
chips on a pizza is top tier.

:agree:

A stupendous scran. Has to be chippy chips though.

Is It On....
21-12-2019, 10:34 AM

No HP sauce?

danhibees1875
21-12-2019, 10:35 AM

That sounds fantastic. :agree:

As does the chips on a pizza.

MrRobot
21-12-2019, 01:39 PM
:agree:

A stupendous scran. Has to be chippy chips though.

absolutely, dipped in chippy brown sauce and it’s a winner.

HibeeHibernian4
21-12-2019, 01:40 PM
The video, complete with McCoist's tactical analysis of it, for those who've not seen it: https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1208112439339966465

Phil MaGlass
22-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Was talking with a Scottish mate last nite about the Scottish diet, when we go back to Scotland, folk that are the same age as us actually look 10yrs older. Weird as anything. Alcohol ,fags and diet don't half take their toll.

Since452
22-12-2019, 10:51 AM

I'm away to the shop

Vault Boy
22-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Scotland is the only place I've seen people put an entire pie into a buttered roll.

I suspect it will remain that way. I truly love the 'just **** it' attitude towards a scran.

Sudds_1
22-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Scotland is the only place I've seen people put an entire pie into a buttered roll.

I suspect it will remain that way. I truly love the 'just **** it' attitude towards a scran.

God yea! 2 Bains mince pies in a roll for ma lunch....heaven😛😛😛

Sean1875
22-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Masvidal retweeting it has to be one of the most random tweets I’ve ever seen on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-12-2019, 11:10 AM

Black pudding, sliced sausage & bacon with lashings of HP sauce on a well fired roll washed down with a nice, strong coffee for me this morning! Lovely!

Sudds_1
22-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Black pudding, sliced sausage & bacon with lashings of HP sauce on a well fired roll washed down with a nice, strong coffee for me this morning! Lovely!

Jeezo...i'd be reaching for the rennies 5 minutes after! 😁

Hibernia&Alba
22-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Chips on a pizza and eaten as a sandwich is uniquely Scottish. "How many calories in this pizza? Not enough, it needs chips" :greengrin

Box 17
22-12-2019, 11:13 AM

But was it a deep-fried pizza?

Hibernia&Alba
22-12-2019, 11:14 AM

A cholesterol sandwich on a Sunday morning :greengrin

Bran Flakes for me.

pollution
22-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Bains pies yes but not Baynes. Imposters!!

Sudds_1
22-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Bains pies yes but not Baynes. Imposters!!

Yep...bains at stenhouse. Amongst the best pies in edinburgh!

Vault Boy
22-12-2019, 11:22 AM
A cholesterol sandwich on a Sunday morning :greengrin

Bran Flakes for me.

I'm there with you, I've only had a banana thus far, would trade it for that mighty roll in a second!

Having a genuine dilemma over Christmas morn'. My gifriend's sister is offering up smoked salmon OR bacon buttys.

How can you make a guy choose like that?

overdrive
22-12-2019, 11:23 AM

I had that for my lunch the other day. Delicious!

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Yep...bains at stenhouse. Amongst the best pies in the world!

Fixed.

Hibernia&Alba
22-12-2019, 11:25 AM
I'm there with you, I've only had a banana thus far, would trade it for that mighty roll in a second!

Having a genuine dilemma over Christmas morn'. My gifriend's sister is offering up smoked salmon OR bacon buttys.

It would have to be the bacon sarnies. Even when I ate meat, the only fish I liked was tuna.

Sudds_1
22-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Easy peasy....have both!😁

Sudds_1
22-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Fixed.

😁😁👍👍

hibbyfraelibby
22-12-2019, 02:54 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/im-not-monster-hibs-fan-who-went-viral-eating-pizza-ketchup-says-ally-mccoist-got-it-all-wrong-1347420

OK own up you Easter Road Pizza and Chip Sandwichers...do you add ketchup or not?

Viva_Palmeiras
22-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Seen plenty of folks splash the Ketchup on standing in the queue.
Bizarre but each to their own.

HoboHarry
22-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Chips on a pizza? F**** sake, seriously? Isn't enough wine in the world to wash that down :faf:

Lago
22-12-2019, 09:10 PM

Heart attack diet.

Joe6-2
22-12-2019, 09:11 PM

Aren’t Baynes the best!!

Clarence
22-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Maybe it was cheat day.

Mixu62
23-12-2019, 03:13 AM
Maybe it was cheat day.

Well the huns were in town so it's fairly apt I suppose!

Greenbeard
23-12-2019, 08:03 AM
- C'mon princess, let's go watch the Hibs play the Rangers.
- Och no' again Dad. No' after what happened the last time.
- C'mon. It cannae be that bad again. I'll buy ye a pizza.
-Wi chips anaw? An 'mattie sauce.
- Aye go on then.
- Done.

hibby rae
23-12-2019, 09:44 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/people/im-not-monster-hibs-fan-who-went-viral-eating-pizza-ketchup-says-ally-mccoist-got-it-all-wrong-1347420

OK own up you Easter Road Pizza and Chip Sandwichers...do you add ketchup or not?

I've been partial to a bit of brown now and again (no chips though)

Had a pizza in the flat yesterday and added chippy sauce ;)

Sudds_1
23-12-2019, 10:17 AM
I've been partial to a bit of brown now and again
)

That used to be illegal? !!! 😂😂

allezsauzee
23-12-2019, 11:48 AM

It's a popular delicacy in Lancashire as well, only they call it pie in barm. tremendous grub !

Onceinawhile
23-12-2019, 11:51 AM
I'm just amazed someone can afford chips and a pizza with the prices we charge.

Eyrie
23-12-2019, 06:27 PM
Meanwhile it turns out that the old songs about the Glasgow diet were accurate (https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/dead-rats-found-in-deep-fat-fryer-at-scottish-primary-school-1-5065896). Deep fried rat!

Scott Allan Key
23-12-2019, 06:32 PM

I sometimes think there's a reason we go for high fat saturated foods. We're simply building up enough blubber for our miserable winters, autumn's and springs (and summers). Like Eskimos. Who needs central heating when you have deep fried pies?

A Hi-Bee
23-12-2019, 06:46 PM
I suppose the poor girl would be getting called Rudoph if it was a nice healthy carrot she was seen munching on, who the hell cares what someone else eats, its a freedom of choice thing is it not, I happen to think it looked very warming type grub on a freezing night at a crap game.

Hibernia&Alba
23-12-2019, 08:20 PM
I'm just amazed someone can afford chips and a pizza with the prices we charge.

I never buy fast food at the football. How much would it cost?

Vault Boy
23-12-2019, 08:41 PM
I sometimes think there's a reason we go for high fat saturated foods. We're simply building up enough blubber for our miserable winters, autumn's and springs (and summers). Like Eskimos. Who needs central heating when you have deep fried pies?

😂 An eco friendly approach - typical for Scotland to be on the cutting edge of green technology once again.

The dalmeny
23-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Excellent use of the word ‘scran’ throughout this thread guys

davehiby
11-02-2020, 12:15 PM
The video, complete with McCoist's tactical analysis of it, for those who've not seen it: https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/1208112439339966465

my daughter 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

CMurdoch
11-02-2020, 12:38 PM
my daughter 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Brilliant Dave
An identification.
Wraps this thread up in the same week as Decembers bottle chucker was fixed.
Importantly, I am not associating your daughter with that persona non grata erse.

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Type 2 diabetes up 40% in Scotland in the last 10 years

Mea culpa

Source: BBC Scotland

Malthibby
11-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Pie roll; food of the gods.

Sudds_1
11-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Ah yes....baines pie (or 2) inside a big floury bap.

Heaven....🤗🤗

erin go bragh
11-02-2020, 08:03 PM
I never buy fast food at the football. How much would it cost?
Nobody gets fast food at ER . But once you wait 20 mins in the q . A Pizza and chips will sting you for about £6 .

vercol36
11-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Don't think Scotland is alone to be honest. In East Africa you'll find folk eating samosas wrapped up in chapattis (double dose of beige).

And Christ, in Canada they're mental...in one holiday I had a deep fried jam sandwich, a deep fried cheesecake AND some deep fried ice cream. Ice cream!

SquashedFrogg
11-02-2020, 08:21 PM
Type 2 diabetes up 40% in Scotland in the last 10 years

Mea culpa

Source: BBC Scotland

Disappointing if true. Should be nearer 65%. We need independence more than ever I say.

Baader
11-02-2020, 08:25 PM
Don't think Scotland is alone to be honest. In East Africa you'll find folk eating samosas wrapped up in chapattis (double dose of beige).

And Christ, in Canada they're mental...in one holiday I had a deep fried jam sandwich, a deep fried cheesecake AND some deep fried ice cream. Ice cream!

No doubt the Scottish influence in Canada! Loads of us went over there. My uncle is in Hamilton, Ontario. Plenty of Hibbys there!

wookie70
11-02-2020, 10:23 PM
I had a pie in a roll on Saturday at the game. Hope the cameras never caught me but they would have seen a rare smile after I was finished. Wish Hibs would do a nice pie, well cooked in a fresh roll and a cuppa for £3.50. I'd buy food regularly if they did and I haven't bought a thing for ages.

Sweet Left Peg
11-02-2020, 11:56 PM
Once upon a time, in a pub after St Mirren away, some friends and I discussed the intricacies of what a scotch egg pie might constitute.

The general consensus was that it should be, in this precise order..

1 remove pie lid (keep for later)
2 remove pie filling (enjoy immediately)
3 slice scotch egg
4 remove egg from breadcrumb surround
5 chop egg
6 mix egg with mayo, as otherwise the resultant would be quite dry
7 slice breadcrumb/sausage surround
8 place half of surround into pie base, BREADCRUMBS DOWN
9 spoon egg and mayo mix on top
10 place remaining half of surround on top of egg and mayo mix BREADCRUMBS UP
11 replace pie lid
12 enjoy pie

DetroitHibs
12-02-2020, 04:41 AM
I’ve always had an idea for a quality pie..... The donar pie. Put some kebab meat in the pie, wee bit salad, chille sauce and cheese and now you’ve got a dogs bollocks pie.

Bristolhibby
12-02-2020, 05:41 AM
Saw a guy at the work canteen make a bacon sandwich. Picked up the bacon, then moved along to the bread. But instead of picking up the bread he picked up two slices of cheese on toast!

Made a bacon sanger with cheese on toast! Genius.

Still not done it myself yet, but sounds delicious.

J

overdrive
12-02-2020, 06:56 AM
Saw a guy at the work canteen make a bacon sandwich. Picked up the bacon, then moved along to the bread. But instead of picking up the bread he picked up two slices of cheese on toast!

Made a bacon sanger with cheese on toast! Genius.

Still not done it myself yet, but sounds delicious.

J

Had that a few times. Godly!

Phil MaGlass
12-02-2020, 07:05 AM

Think deep fried ice cream came from Scotland?

Smartie
12-02-2020, 07:06 AM
How do you deep fry ice cream?

Sounds delicious.

PeeJay
12-02-2020, 07:33 AM
This thing about eating "a pie on a roll" - that's some sort of in-joke I'm not getting right? :confused:

superfurryhibby
12-02-2020, 07:35 AM
Scran featuring heavily but struggling with the,ahem, BAYNE’S pies. Maybe a bit like Scott Allan. Amazed that fans of either cannae spell it :na na:

The winter months, it’s porridge, nowt added except a wee bit soya to stop it sticking. Topped with some bio soya yogurt and fruit, usually grapes and a banana.

Summer months muesli, usually Jordans, with the same fruit and yogurt.

Signed superfurryderek, aged 55 and a half, 6ft tall and 12 .5 stones and still fit as, despite never going near a gym.

Booked4Being-Ugly
12-02-2020, 07:36 AM
Think deep fried ice cream came from Scotland?

France. It amuses me that we get a bad rap for deep frying a mars bar for a bit of a joke but the French invented deep fried ice cream and it’s culinary genius apparently!!

Phil MaGlass
12-02-2020, 07:41 AM
My ex father in law fae Glesga used to make it all the time, excellent. Shood try servin it up at ER 😂

Peevemor
12-02-2020, 07:44 AM
France. It amuses me that we get a bad rap for deep frying a mars bar for a bit of a joke but the French invented deep fried ice cream and it’s culinary genius apparently!!

The French do some great stuff with food and are generally more knowledgeable than the Brits. However they do risk to dissappear up their own derrières.

Brunswickbill
12-02-2020, 07:46 AM
This thing about eating "a pie on a roll" - that's some sort of in-joke I'm not getting right? :confused:

It’s real alright. I haven’t partaken of this light repast but I am informed by a knowledge aficionado of a “pie on a roll” that the addition of a tattie scone is an essential finishing touch.

danhibees1875
12-02-2020, 08:00 AM

Sounds delicious.

I guess batter around a solid scoop of it and then into really hot oil so the batter crisps up quickly. Not entirely sure how it's done, but chaophraya on George Street used to do a deep fried coconut ice cream that was incredible.

It's no joke. :greengrin

A bean and tattie pie on a soft well buttered roll is delicious. :aok:

Smartie
12-02-2020, 08:09 AM

Storrie’s bakery on Leith Walk - steak pie on a buttered roll - perfect on the way home from a night out.

I remember thinking it was weird at first - then very quickly it became normal.

KingPat4
12-02-2020, 10:25 AM
Cheese on toast with mint sauce. Or a buttered roll filled with salt n vinegar crisps.

Lovely.

RoYO!
12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
There is no greater strain on the NHS than diabetes related illness. Fact!

Eyrie
12-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Would it work with a macaroni pie?

DarrenSQH
12-02-2020, 06:02 PM

Served those in the evening at my wedding at the Marriot lol

davehiby
12-02-2020, 06:57 PM

no guaranteed delicious 👍🏻

davehiby
12-02-2020, 07:01 PM
- C'mon princess, let's go watch the Hibs play the Rangers.
- Och no' again Dad. No' after what happened the last time.
- C'mon. It cannae be that bad again. I'll buy ye a pizza.
-Wi chips anaw? An 'mattie sauce.
- Aye go on then.
- Done.

poor lass had been working night shift and was the first thing and probably only thing she ate that day👍🏻 I usually do the same thing but for some reason on that occasion didn't.But I have to say I think the pizza at er is quite tasty 😁

KDY Hibs
12-02-2020, 07:46 PM

Sounds delicious.

Ball your ice cream, place back in freezer, then coat in toasted desiccated coconut, then deep fry in super hot oil as so outer layer is crispy and ice cream is still soft!

OstKurve Hibs
12-02-2020, 08:05 PM
Cheese n ham piece wi salt n vinegar crisps wi white pepper n mayo,

Or 2 oatcakes (rough ones with seeds are best), chunky peanut butter on one, nutella on the other n stick them together, better than a snicker

Paloschi
12-02-2020, 08:09 PM
Pakora wrapped inside a Naan = Naanwich. Great with salad and chilli sauce.

I used to get a large donner kebab with a battered sausage on top when very drunk!

Smiggy 7-0
12-02-2020, 09:02 PM
Moved from Edinburgh up to Forres 3 years ago and must say the chippies up here are C***.
Oh how I long for a supper out of Dino's in Loanhead drippin in broon sauce.
Whenever I'm back in Edinburgh always pay a visit there and to Baines at Stenhouse for a dozen or so pies and bridies to bring back.

Things we miss....