PDA

View Full Version : Sectarian Singing

theonlywayisup
21-12-2019, 06:24 AM
In many threads since the game, I've read many posts that appear to deflect the blame by saying "what about the sectarian singing". What about the The Rangers fans behaviour?

Referring to the sectarian singing, can anyone post what they are actually singing that was sectarian. I sit in the FFL and don't know the words to their songs, so apologies for asking the question.

In my opinion, last night was an embarrassing night for Hibernian Football Club and any attempt to deflect the blame onto our opponents is unacceptable. Let's get our own house in order before we start to criticise others.

Let those without sin, cast the first stone.

07BigD
21-12-2019, 06:38 AM
We had about 10 muppets who will more than likely be banned for life shortly and rightly so, they had 4 thousand bigots there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2019, 06:57 AM
Hello Hello We are the Billy Boys

Billy Boys = Sons of William of Orange no doubt a reference to the Battle of the Boyne 1690

We are up to our knees in fenian blood surrender or you’ll die

As a Roman Catholic of Irish descent I find these words to be particularly abhorrent

Throw in the sash and the many random shouts of F##k the Pope

I agree the Hun were in party mode and quite rightly so their team were excellent and I quite enjoyed them serenading us with Shaking Stevens Merry Christmas at half time and this observer could laugh at the irony but they truly are a horrible club I take it you heard them sing “No one likes us we don’t care” ?

Edit:

I take it you are at the wynd up?

Colr
21-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Only UEFA have shown any interest in dealing with sectarianism in Scottish football.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Several cries of **** the pope, references to the YCV and the UVF should do for starters.

The behaviour of whoever threw the glass bottle is a disgrace and hopefully they are caught but that does not exonerate the Rangers fans from the behaviour they got up to yet again last night.

Chorley Hibee
21-12-2019, 07:04 AM
No deflecting of blame here, I simply ask that all supporters within Easter Road are held to the same rules and regulations.

That quite clearly doesn't happen.

All unacceptable behaviour should be dealt with, not ignored because we done something unacceptable too.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Build my gallows not a banned song at football? :dunno:

Certainly mentions the fighting the IRA and evil men and how they'd do it again. Got a 5 minute rendition of that last night.

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2019, 07:33 AM

Certainly mentions the fighting the IRA and evil men and how they'd do it again. Got a 5 minute rendition of that last night.

:agree:

They also sung some song about Bobby Sands a member of the provisional IRA that died on hunger strike in 1981 that seemed to last for about half an hour that had me thinking Green Brigade and f##k all to do with a football match taking place in Edinburgh in 2019

Horrible horrible club!

Cataplana
21-12-2019, 07:34 AM
I know this won't be popular.

If the fans boycotted Rangers games, the clubs would soon do something about it.

I know if I was as shocked and offended by what they do, I wouldn't be able to go to those games. That's why I don't go to those games.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 07:38 AM

Any songs in support of a proscribed terrorist organisation aren't just banned songs at the football, they're banned by law, they're illegal.

Build my gallows, We're coming down the road and A father's advice all make reference to terrorist groups and are therefore illegal.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 07:39 AM
:agree:

They also sung some song about Bobby Sands a member of the provisional IRA that died on hunger strike in 1981 that seemed to last for about half an hour that had me thinking Green Brigade and f##k all to do with a football match taking place in Edinburgh in 2019

Horrible horrible club!

A father's advice - although the bit about Bobby Sands is an add-on and isn't actually part of the official song.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 07:43 AM
I wonder if LD used to join in with these songs when was a ST holder at Ibrox. Might explain her reluctance to criticise the rangers fans. :greengrin :stirrer:

Cataplana
21-12-2019, 07:44 AM
I wonder if LD used to join in with these songs when was a ST holder at Ibrox. Might explain her reluctance to criticise the rangers fans. :greengrin :stirrer:

Why you doing that?

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Why you doing that?

Light hearted comment. Chill out!

Aldo
21-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Only UEFA have shown any interest in dealing with sectarianism in Scottish football.

I mentioned his above and it’s a sad indictment that a European body takes action when the actual country’s governing body turns a blind eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 07:52 AM
I mentioned his above and it’s a sad indictment that a European body takes action when the actual country’s governing body turns a blind eye.

We have no strict liability in Scotland, the clubs won't vote for it and after last night you can see why. Both clubs would be hammered after what went on.

Just_Jimmy
21-12-2019, 07:53 AM
It'll never change.

As per the rest of society ATM, no one who can effect change cares. Therefore it continues.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Aldo
21-12-2019, 07:55 AM
We have no strict liability in Scotland, the clubs won't vote for it and after last night you can see why. Both clubs would be hammered after what went on.

Indeed but something has to get done. Once again it’s against that mob.

A number of people last light let us down yet again with another glass bottle chucked. By all accounts the away fans were chucking coins etc but we need to get our own house in order!

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Indeed but something has to get done. Once again it’s against that mob.

A number of people last light let us down yet again with another glass bottle chucked. By all accounts the away fans were chucking coins etc but we need to get our own house in order!

Only giving the away fans the Upper tier would be a start. **** the money.

Aldo
21-12-2019, 07:58 AM
Only giving the away fans the Upper tier would be a start. **** the money

It would indeed.

Carheenlea
21-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Build my Gallows isn’t one to get too worked up over for me, but it’s one of many sung by Old Firm fans which is more to do with their “culture” rather than football.

“I am a Loyal Ulster man
They say this day that I must hang
Cause I fought the IRA
They say that I must pay
Well they say this day that I must hang

So build my gallows, build them high
That I might see before I die
The Antrim glen and the hills of County Down
And I’ll see again the lights of home

Well, I am a Loyal Ulster man
I fought those evil men
And I’d do it all again

I am a Loyal Ulster man
Well I fought that evil band
And I freed my native land

The Antrim glen, the hills of County Down
And I’ll see again the lights of home.
And I’ll see again the lights of home“

Carheenlea
21-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Only giving the away fans the Upper tier would be a start. **** the money.

Give them the lower tier so we can still see the scoreboard and assorted club sponsors advertising hoardings..

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Give them the lower tier so we can still see the scoreboard and assorted club sponsors advertising hoardings..

Means they can launch things at us with ease though. Up out way for me.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 08:09 AM

If the fans boycotted Rangers games, the clubs would soon do something about it.

I know if I was as shocked and offended by what they do, I wouldn't be able to go to those games. That's why I don't go to those games.

Looked like a boycott last night lots of gaps in the crowd.

cad
21-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Looked like a boycott last night lots of gaps in the crowd.

Yeah,playing ***** and get your arse felt tends to do that :rolleyes:

WhileTheChief..
21-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Hello Hello We are the Billy Boys

Billy Boys = Sons of William of Orange no doubt a reference to the Battle of the Boyne 1690

We are up to our knees in fenian blood surrender or you’ll die

As a Roman Catholic of Irish descent I find these words to be particularly abhorrent

Throw in the sash and the many random shouts of F##k the Pope

I agree the Hun were in party mode and quite rightly so their team were excellent and I quite enjoyed them serenading us with Shaking Stevens Merry Christmas at half time and this observer could laugh at the irony but they truly are a horrible club I take it you heard them sing “No one likes us we don’t care” ?

Edit:

I take it you are at the wynd up?

I’m not trying to be wide here but did you actually hear the words fenian blood?

The reason I ask is that I was actually listening out for it last night. I’ll admit to not being able to make out the words to most of what they were singing, but I’m in full agreement with the OP.

I was in the West upper and to me the away end looked amazing. They were bouncing from start to finish whilst we all sat in silence, those of us who turned up anyway!

It was a crap performance, crap score and our fans were pretty crap too if we’re honest. Seems like we’re lashing out at rangers fans last night as some sort of comfort blanket.

Cataplana
21-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Light hearted comment. Chill out!

It's so hard to tell sometimes. Chilling now.

neil7908
21-12-2019, 09:13 AM
In many threads since the game, I've read many posts that appear to deflect the blame by saying "what about the sectarian singing". What about the The Rangers fans behaviour?

Referring to the sectarian singing, can anyone post what they are actually singing that was sectarian. I sit in the FFL and don't know the words to their songs, so apologies for asking the question.

In my opinion, last night was an embarrassing night for Hibernian Football Club and any attempt to deflect the blame onto our opponents is unacceptable. Let's get our own house in order before we start to criticise others.

Let those without sin, cast the first stone.

Sorry but that last line is ridiculous. So Hibs need to be perfect to be critical of any other club? Every team in world football has idiots in the support. Hibs however have spent (by our standards) a lot of money on a CCTV system and been very vocal about not tolerating fan behaviour. We are actually taking direct action and using budget that could be spent on the playing squad to do so.

What have Sevco actually done except make the odd statement now and again? That's the difference imo. Even Hearts have make genuine attempts to stop the worst elements of their support. Sevco on the other hand have encouraged and nurtured sectarian nonsense for decades without even an eyebrow being raised by the media or football authorities.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 09:14 AM
I’m not trying to be wide here but did you actually hear the words fenian blood?

The reason I ask is that I was actually listening out for it last night. I’ll admit to not being able to make out the words to most of what they were singing, but I’m in full agreement with the OP.

I was in the West upper and to me the away end looked amazing. They were bouncing from start to finish whilst we all sat in silence, those of us who turned up anyway!

It was a crap performance, crap score and our fans were pretty crap too if we’re honest. Seems like we’re lashing out at rangers fans last night as some sort of comfort blanket.

If you knew the words to most of the songs they were singing I doubt you would say they were amazing.

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 09:17 AM

If you enjoyed it as much as you keep saying maybe you should go in the hun end from now on.

The 90+2
21-12-2019, 09:48 AM
If you knew the words to most of the songs they were singing I doubt you would say they were amazing.

Why would Hibs fans know the words to the songs?

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 09:50 AM
]It's so hard to tell sometimes.[/B] Chilling now.

Thats why I used smilies. :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
21-12-2019, 09:51 AM

Exactly this.

No way you could make them out last night.

You have to google them then listen out for them to be so outraged.

WhileTheChief..
21-12-2019, 09:53 AM
If you enjoyed it as much as you keep saying maybe you should go in the hun end from now on.

Is there any need for a comment like that??

I’m a Hibs fan.

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 09:53 AM

I'm not saying they necessarily should but surely before you describe a set of fans (well known for being steeped in sectarianism) as amazing, you should check out what they're actually singing about?

04Sauzee
21-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Exactly this.

You could easily make out Bobby Sands and the UVF in the coming down the road song. No Google required

04Sauzee
21-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Don't have to know them, alot of the words in some of the songs were easy to make out

WhileTheChief..
21-12-2019, 09:56 AM
I'm not saying they necessarily should but surely before you describe a set of fans (well known for being seeped in sectarianism) as amazing, you should check out what they're actually singing about?

In my defence I said the away end looked amazing, not sounded amazing but I take your point!

hibbysam
21-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Exactly this.

Could quite easily make them out, as I can every other time they visit, as I could clearly on the tv for the hearts Celtic game the other night where the Tims were at it with their ‘ooh ah up the RA’ chants constantly. Guessing any outrage at racist abuse is wrong as well and we should just let it slide.

Leith Green
21-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Utterly embarrassing that grown men attending a Scottish football match
spend the entire match singing about this *****. Its so cringey .. If they were singing about killing muslims it wouldnt be tolerated. Its okay if its about catholics though

bigwheel
21-12-2019, 10:00 AM
What about 55 years of listening to that pish and I am not talking a 4000 minority I am talking a packed Ibrox and Hampden after all their tunes are quite catchy and after a while the words start to stick like a worm in your ear another example would be that Celtic repeat annoying song that the Celtic fans sing

I don’t get the anger at flags and songs st football...to me, what you bring and sing at football reflects on you...if they sing songs of hate or bigotry then they are hate filled and bigots...same if it was us.

Doesn’t bother me..just makes them look like ********s

DH1875
21-12-2019, 10:01 AM
I have no idea what they are or aren't allowed to sing and I'm surprised at the amount folk on here who do (or don't really lol). Is it not hard to police because its not the actual words to some of the songs but the addy on bits they add? As for all this rule Britannia and gsq crap then no problem with it. Can sing it all they want.

The Baldmans Comb
21-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Can there be anyone 10 years as a season ticket holder who never sung the "Billy Boys" or one of the songs glorying terrorist or terrorist atrocities.

I would imagine though she is now mortified.

berwickhibee
21-12-2019, 10:07 AM
We will be punished for 3 or 4 idiots.

Whereas 3500 knuckle dragging zombies spout sectarian bile for 2 hours, and they do this every week, nothing happens.

Not one song sung about football.

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2019, 10:10 AM

I sit in the West Upper South and had no problem hearing them and making out the lyrics

The OP asked for the lyrics they were singing so I duly obliged

As other posters have said not only were their songs sectarian they were singing others that are also illegal

I also have the benefit of having to listen to their pish for the last 55 years and not from a small minority of 4000 but a packed Ibrox and Hampden

Their tunes are catchy and after a while the words tend to stick so I have no problem remembering them

Perhaps the next time the Hun roll into town you should buy a brief for the South where I am sure you will have no problem making out the words

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Is there any need for a comment like that??

I’m a Hibs fan.

Couldve fooled me.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Couldve fooled me.

Just why ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Just why ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What? All the poster has done since yesterday is claim how great and amazing the rangers fans were. Bit of a strange claim to constantly repeat on a hibs forum

WhileTheChief..
21-12-2019, 10:43 AM
What? All the poster has done since yesterday is claim how great and amazing the rangers fans were. Bit of a strange claim to constantly repeat on a hibs forum

That’s simply not true, I just saw things differently to you and a few others on here.

Anyways I’m not looking to fall out over it so I’ll leave you to it.

The Harp Awakes
21-12-2019, 11:00 AM
That’s simply not true, I just saw things differently to you and a few others on here.

Not sure if the Rangers are your 2nd team mate, but I've noticed your posts on here for a while where you're constantly standing up for them and making excuses on their behalf.

The Rangers are one of the most vile institutions on this planet and many of their fans are racist. The have a track record going back decades for sectarianism and they continue to spout their bile and get away with it. I heard a good few of their old dities last night and some stuff I couldn't make out. However I think it's a pretty safe bet the stuff I couldn't make out was sectarian as well.

I'd suggest you start speaking up for and defending your own club and fans and leave the racist **** to defend themselves.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Not sure if the Rangers are your 2nd team mate, but I've noticed your posts on here for a while where you're constantly standing up for them and making excuses on their behalf.

The Rangers are one of the most vile institutions on this planet and many of their fans are racist. The have a track record going back decades for sectarianism and they continue to spout their bile and get away with it. I heard a good few of their old dities last night and some stuff I couldn't make out. However I think it's a pretty safe bet the stuff I couldn't make out was sectarian as well.

I'd suggest you start speaking up for and defending your own club and fans and leave the racist **** to defend themselves.

You couldn't make it out but you're sure it was sectarian? Seems legit, that would in court right enough.

The guys a hibby and that last sentence is out of order.

The Harp Awakes
21-12-2019, 11:18 AM
You couldn't make it out but you're sure it was sectarian? Seems legit, that would in court right enough.

The guys a hibby and that last sentence is out of order.

Is that you sticking up for the huns as well? Makes a change from the jambos I suppose.

Baldy Foghorn
21-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Is that you sticking up for the huns as well? Makes a change from the jambos I suppose.

Yet he goes to every hibs match!! No need for your pop at him

The Harp Awakes
21-12-2019, 11:21 AM

He's having a pop at me so I'm returning the compliment:wink:

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Possibly just a coincidence that the last few posts i had seen from you were talking up/defending the huns. Its no big deal and im not looking for a fall out. Just found it strange thats all

WhileTheChief..
21-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Ok, I’ll bite.

I don’t have a second team, I guess you’re just being smart with that comment.

Your description of them being one of the most vile institutions on the planet is hyperbole in my eyes, they don’t even come close, it’s a football team we’re talking about!

I’ve consistently said I couldn’t make out the words and even if I could I wouldn’t give a damn. Stick n stones to me.

Who’s knocking our own club that it needs defending from? As far as I can tell on here it’s other Hibs fans knocking the club for their response to last night?

Look, I just don’t get the hate. I don’t hate anyone based on which team they support. I don’t get how anyone can if I’m honest. I work beside and know people that support numerous teams and they’re all decent folk.

I appreciate that some of you absolutely hate anything and everything to do with the old firm or hearts but that doesn’t mean we all need to feel the same way.

That doesn’t make me any less of a Hibs fan.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 11:37 AM
He's having a pop at me so I'm returning the compliment:wink:

No, I poked a big hole in your bull**** statement about songs, that you admit you couldn't hear the words to but were sure were sectarian.

The Harp Awakes
21-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Ok, I’ll bite.

I don’t have a second team, I guess you’re just being smart with that comment.

Your description of them being one of the most vile institutions on the planet is hyperbole in my eyes, they don’t even come close, it’s a football team we’re talking about!

I’ve consistently said I couldn’t make out the words and even if I could I wouldn’t give a damn. Stick n stones to me.

Who’s knocking our own club that it needs defending from? As far as I can tell on here it’s other Hibs fans knocking the club for their response to last night?

Look, I just don’t get the hate. I don’t hate anyone based on which team they support. I don’t get how anyone can if I’m honest. I work beside and know people that support numerous teams and they’re all decent folk.

I appreciate that some of you absolutely hate anything and everything to do with the old firm or hearts but that doesn’t mean we all need to feel the same way.

That doesn’t make me any less of a Hibs fan.

I have no doubt you're a Hibs fan and agree that being a Hibs fan doesn't mean you have to hate any other club. Hibs draw support from every section of society and that differentiates us from Celtic. Long may that continue.

What I can't understand is how anyone can defend the bile the Rangers fans spout. Until now I've not been interested in the stuff they're singing which I can't make out. However, because of the debate on this thread I've googled the words of the Rangers version of The Fields of Athenry which they all sang very loudly at least twice last night. Here it is:

Father's Advice

Said a father to his son,

"Oh my boy the time has come",

Your country it is calling unto thee,

For those rebels once again,

To unite us is their aim,

And together we must stand to keep her free.

Remember, our fathers brave and bold,

As they fought for Ulsters cause in far off lands,

Oh my father said to me "I must join the Y.C.V",

With a rifle or a pistol in my hand.

From Belfast to Armagh,

Carade to old Crossgar,

From Ballymena to old Omagh town,

With their standards flying high,

As it was in days gone by,

We will rally round the flag for liberty.

Come all you Volunteers,

Let us fight and never fear,

Just like our fathers did so long ago,

Though i'm sixteen years of age,

In the Volunteers i'll engage,

Like our fathers did so many years ago.

The Harp Awakes
21-12-2019, 11:42 AM
No, I poked a big hole in your bull**** statement about songs, that you admit you couldn't hear the words to but were sure were sectarian.

Bull****?

Look above.

jellybean
21-12-2019, 11:58 AM
I totally agree that the singing of these types of songs is totally unacceptable but how about the Hibs fans getting behind their team and drowning them out?

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 12:12 PM
I totally agree that the singing of these types of songs is totally unacceptable but how about the Hibs fans getting behind their team and drowning them out?

It's a bit hard when we're 2-0 down after 8 minutes.

OstKurve Hibs
21-12-2019, 12:16 PM
It's a bit hard when we're 2-0 down after 8 minutes.

Wouldn't matter if we were 2 nil up, theres zero atmosphere at easter road these days. Been that way for for ****ing ages,

Jonny1875
21-12-2019, 02:12 PM
I don't know how any Hibs fan could defend that lot. They are in general a horrible sectarian group of bigots who think of us as Celtic lite.

CMurdoch
21-12-2019, 02:56 PM
I posted the following on another thread yesterday:
The SPFL could fix mass sectarian singing by imposing large fines and if that didn't work imposing points deductions. However, the clubs are the SPFL and the SPFL are the clubs so that won't happen unless there is external pressure. That would have to come from the Scottish Government tackling it through legislation which would give them the power to impose fines and part/full ground closures on football clubs. Simple really. Amazing that it hasn't been addressed.

It elicited the following

https://www.hibs.net/image/webp;base64,UklGRhoBAABXRUJQVlA4TA0BAAAvEYACEI hkJEkqTbrb3M85/HOaTiIJEmR8phP/pk7I/A/MwratpE8/sQOxuHYyzaS7SYnCdscVVEgMbFCzBF5E2Bc75/35/6HxJA69psklhfDryN5JJf1JInh5XIzs9L iAShRqFMEEJsEAOEEGuNO9awuRp9n93VMnPvPUOcmLHjxIMf4s aHE6/BYSTZpnXuebbtbyP/8P79OeyJ6P8EENBmSzXSXC/SzPTbBQpOTpWv4DeaTLEg6AOwYNGIYhGvg2IRXa5YnHyKFYvfa BqHrWKk3BS7njVjxF5H6AMOB gb38hmQu7Y1Z85d/3yJbvIDloCvrfz8bAuyRHYp8t2un4I7wdwv4jI7QE8CQA= Originally Posted by matty_f https://www.hibs.net/image/webp;base64,UklGRkYAAABXRUJQVlA4TDkAAAAvC8ACEBcgEE jinnkggUASxP6EQwgEkij2Bxxi/gP FShkJEnyWaQFW4SvOC/HENH/XOFtiqRonxUA (https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=6020873#post6020873)
There doesn't need to be separate legislation, that behaviour is already covered in existing laws and regulations.

The Offensive Behaviour at Football Act was rightly removed because it held football fans to a different standard to everyone else.

Sectarian singing is illegal, whether in the confines of a football stadium or at the opera, and the perpetrators should be dealt with the same in both instances.

The issue the police have is that they simply don't have the resources to arrest everyone singing, nor to handle the potential aggro of trying to deal with individuals in the crowd.

The safest option for the police is to turn a blind eye, or pick people up retrospectively if they can identify them.

It's not (IMHO) football's responsibility to deal with sectarianism, the clubs have a part to play but there's a limit as to what influence they can have.

and i followed Matty F post up with the following after last nights game:

The current legislation which you speak of deals successfully with the behaviour of individuals or small groups but is never going to be successful in addressing mass sectarian singing within football grounds.

What the actions of UEFA proved earlier this season was that Rangers could be quickly and easily brought to heel. Suddenly Rangers and their supporters found they could address the matter of mass sectarian singing. UEFA accept no pontificating or excuses, simple message is shape up or ship out.

If the SPFL cannot address the matter successfully then the Scottish Government should simply take the matter into it's own hands if they consider such singing unacceptable in 21st Century Scotland. UEFA have shown them how it's done.
Everything else has been tried.

I should say the singing by Rangers & Celtic fans within football ground doesn't bother me much but it obviously upsets other people a lot, including many on this forum and it is important to them that it is addressed.
Personally I think sectarian singing in the streets is far more intimidating and offensive rather than when these football supporters are isolated in their own little bit of a football ground.

P.S. An angry hateful Hibs fan sitting near me pissed me off a lot more than the Rangers fans tonight despite not singing any songs. Orange ******* this, hun *******s that. Left after goal 2 and was never seen again, thank ****.

Onceinawhile
21-12-2019, 03:07 PM
First ftp was 8 seconds in to the game.

davhibby
21-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Last night was as bad as I’ve heard it in a long time, the sash even got a loud rendition too, haven’t even heard that at Ibrox when we’ve played them recently. Obviously nothing will be done about it and folk will say we should happily bend over and take the money from the rangers fans and be subjected to this for 90 minutes.

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Last night was as bad as I’ve heard it in a long time, the sash even got a loud rendition too, haven’t even heard that at Ibrox when we’ve played them recently. Obviously nothing will be done about it and folk will say we should happily bend over and take the money from the rangers fans and be subjected to this for 90 minutes.

Thank you!

Some on here would have you believe they never heard anything 😜

vahibbie
21-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately once again The Rangers have managed to gain the moral high ground due to the bottle throwing idiot. Instead of being able to focus on the sectarian crap spouted for most of the game they get to be heros "as they defy missile yobs" (from the Sun). It's hard to moan about their songs when a supposed one of us is launching bottles onto the pitch.

fiolex1
21-12-2019, 03:33 PM
In addition singing about terrorists by singing “Here lies a soldier” Just as bad as the Celtics IRA songs

Radium
21-12-2019, 03:45 PM
To punish TRFC we need strict liability. Under strict liability we would also have been punished.

Personally I would be happy with that scenario but clearly not enough clubs are.

Interesting to see what the politicians do

Radium
21-12-2019, 03:55 PM
To punish TRFC we need strict liability. Under strict liability we would also have been punished.

Personally I would be happy with that scenario but clearly not enough clubs are.

davhibby
21-12-2019, 08:59 PM

As a club there’s plenty we could do.

Bishop Hibee
21-12-2019, 09:51 PM
The game we play them after Ireland is united will be interesting. Edging closer after the recent election result and Brexit.

Iggy Pope
21-12-2019, 09:55 PM
A father's advice - although the bit about Bobby Sands is an add-on and isn't actually part of the official song.

Official song?

Iggy Pope
21-12-2019, 10:01 PM

Post #12 shows him up to be a stirring **** and little wonder people take a pop. Continuous, relentless bull****.

marinello59
21-12-2019, 10:04 PM

The Sash is allowed to be sung as it’s not seen as anti-Catholic. The fact they are singing at all upsets me because it means they are winning.

hibbysam
21-12-2019, 10:17 PM
The Sash is allowed to be sung as it’s not seen as anti-Catholic. The fact they are singing at all upsets me because it means they are winning.

Fairly sure it is when it mentions striking terror into Papish (catholic) boys...

Bishop Hibee
21-12-2019, 10:20 PM

Yup. It’s the add-on that is. I do wonder what RCs who play for them make of it all? I suppose most hold their noses and take the cash.

vuefrom1875
21-12-2019, 10:23 PM

Correct....Glasgow based spfl/SFA.. are not interested in any criticism, oblivious to modern values.

vuefrom1875
21-12-2019, 10:24 PM

And as usual f##k all will happen..joke.

vuefrom1875
21-12-2019, 10:26 PM

Rubbish.

vuefrom1875
21-12-2019, 10:26 PM

Shi#e

vuefrom1875
21-12-2019, 10:29 PM
Build my Gallows isn’t one to get too worked up over for me, but it’s one of many sung by Old Firm fans which is more to do with their “culture” rather than football.

“I am a Loyal Ulster man
Cause I fought the IRA
They say that I must pay
Well they say this day that I must hang

Well, I am a Loyal Ulster man
I fought those evil men
And I’d do it all again

I am a Loyal Ulster man
Well I fought that evil band
And I freed my native land

And I’ll see again the lights of home.
And I’ll see again the lights of home“
Very good son..

?

marinello59
21-12-2019, 10:40 PM
Fairly sure it is when it mentions striking terror into Papish (catholic) boys...

That’s an add on. It’s not in the commonly sung lyrics.

Iggy Pope
21-12-2019, 10:43 PM
That’s an add on. It’s not in the commonly sung lyrics.

It’s a folk song and not in the slightest offensive. It’s only offensive when it’s being sung by thousands of aggressors in places they’re not welcome. Like a lot of folk songs.

The 90+2
21-12-2019, 10:47 PM
I'm not saying they necessarily should but surely before you describe a set of fans (well known for being steeped in sectarianism) as amazing, you should check out what they're actually singing about?

I hate the ****s. I would describe their fans as the biggest mutants in the world. Amazing wouldn’t be a way of ever describing them and it makes me sick they had such a good, easy time in our stadium last night. I would have no clue the words to any of their new(ish) party tunes though and went past the being offended to thinking they are sad as **** a good few years ago.

edinburghhibee
22-12-2019, 05:03 AM
I think we need to sort our own house out first. I got shouted down last season when I mentioned that a group of hibs supporters were singing about lee rigbys death yet I went into tamsons bar on Friday night and heard numerous songs bigging up the IRA.

On both occasions it’s been the younger boys in the support but whoever knows these lads please get them told that it’s embarrassing and we are not a sectarian club before our reputation is filed alongside these cretins through west.

Hibernia&Alba
22-12-2019, 06:32 AM
Until we get strict liability in the domestic game, sectarianism will persist. There is an obvious solution, but those running the game in Scotland are running away from it.

Sir David Gray
22-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Official song?

Yes if you search the lyrics on YouTube the part including "**** Bobby Sands, he's deid" isn't included. It's only added by fans singing it during the game.

eastcoasthibby
22-12-2019, 07:22 AM
It's not up to Hibs to sort out the sectarian singing surely, it's up the SPFL and SFA ...not even the Police ...it can be heard loud and clear ..the only way to deal with it is through fines and increasing them game on game ..let them get to a 5 game mark and then hit them with points deductions ..only way it's going to stop both of the club's doing it ....the sad part of it all is that our Ned head idiots that throw stuff and in this instance a glass bottle allows the focus to move away from the behaviours and singing of these **** ...on another note why did the Police Scotland and stewards not remove the flags from the scoreboard ..again a sign that they can do what they want ...horrendous awful club and fans that Gerrard has moved to another level through his anti media position can say what he wants and doesn't have to answer any questions ..ie unaccountable !!

The Modfather
22-12-2019, 07:59 AM
It's not up to Hibs to sort out the sectarian singing surely, it's up the SPFL and SFA ...not even the Police ...it can be heard loud and clear ..the only way to deal with it is through fines and increasing them game on game ..let them get to a 5 game mark and then hit them with points deductions ..only way it's going to stop both of the club's doing it ....the sad part of it all is that our Ned head idiots that throw stuff and in this instance a glass bottle allows the focus to move away from the behaviours and singing of these **** ...on another note why did the Police Scotland and stewards not remove the flags from the scoreboard ..again a sign that they can do what they want ...horrendous awful club and fans that Gerrard has moved to another level through his anti media position can say what he wants and doesn't have to answer any questions ..ie unaccountable !!

It’s not solely up to Hibs, but by ignoring it and pretending it’s not there we’re just as complicit as the Police, Government, SFA, SPL etc etc. Just because it’s not a problem for Hibs to solve on our own doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be doing our bit to tackle the problem IMO.

Phil MaGlass
22-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Only my opinion, and I may well be slated for this,but,I think the lack of balls from not only the league, but, the SFA and the Scottish government, adds to our hate of Rangers and its gradually getting worse, this could and possibly contributed to the bottle, coins and lighters regularly thrown in these matches. The authorities can't keep blaming clubs or Hibs for their inaction, these knots are just contributing to the problem and the problem is sectarianism.
If the Rangers were properly punished and the authorities actually stamped it out I think you would over the years see less flashpoints such as the bottle throwing incident.
Oops just seen east coast hibby saying roughly the same

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Only my opinion, and I may well be slated for this,but,I think the lack of balls from not only the league, but, the SFA and the Scottish government, adds to our hate of Rangers and its gradually getting worse, this could and possibly contributed to the bottle, coins and lighters regularly thrown in these matches. The authorities can't keep blaming clubs or Hibs for their inaction, these knots are just contributing to the problem and the problem is sectarianism.
If the Rangers were properly punished and the authorities actually stamped it out I think you would over the years see less flashpoints such as the bottle throwing incident.
Oops just seen east coast hibby saying roughly the same

Our own club voted against strict liability. Until that changes then the only people we can truly blame are ourselves.

fiolex1
22-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Almost 330 years ago! and still singing about this nonsense. 90 min bigots my a***.

Diclonius
22-12-2019, 11:36 AM
If sectarian songs are heard coming from the away end, use our super fancy brand spanking new camera system to identify and ban from ER every single away fan who joined in with those chants. Eventually we'll be down to the only Celtic, Hearts and (about ten) Rangers fans who don't sing sectarian songs.

This'll never happen though as we only seem to point these cameras at the home end.

bigwheel
22-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Almost 330 years ago! and still singing about this nonsense. 90 min bigots my a***.

Wouldn’t worry. We will be singing about David Gray in the same amount of years [emoji2][emoji106]

fiolex1
22-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Wouldn’t worry. We will be singing about David Gray in the same amount of years [emoji2][emoji106]

Hopefully we will win it two or three times in the next 330 years:wink:

KWJ
22-12-2019, 12:07 PM

That's an interesting idea.

EI255
22-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Sounds like the bottle throwing incident has gotten Rangers fans' sectarian signing off the hook on Friday night.

They are and always will be Scotland's cockroaches.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Sounds like the bottle throwing incident has gotten Rangers fans' sectarian signing off the hook on Friday night.

They are and always will be Scotland's cockroaches.

It’s not about getting off the hook, there is literally no rules that will see their club punished for it, likewise ours.

Fisherrow Harp
22-12-2019, 12:34 PM
I heard amongst many of the vile songs that come out of them, 'the famine is over why don't you go home'. I've no doubt that the irony that up to one third of the immigrants from Ireland during that period, were actually Ulster Protestants, is completely lost on them!

EI255
22-12-2019, 12:40 PM
A father's advice - although the bit about Bobby Sands is an add-on and isn't actually part of the official song.All Rangers songs are boring and immature.

Hibernia&Alba
22-12-2019, 12:40 PM
I heard amongst many of the vile songs that come out of them, 'the famine is over why don't you go home'. I've no doubt that the irony that up to one third of the immigrants from Ireland during that period, were actually Ulster Protestants, is completely lost on them!

And they have some nerve telling anyone else to 'go home' to Ireland, when so many of their songs are about the place. Weirdos.

EI255
22-12-2019, 12:41 PM
And they have some nerve telling anyone else to 'go home' to Ireland, when so many of their songs are about the place. Weirdos.Yeah, they have a real fascination about Ireland.

Hibernia&Alba
22-12-2019, 12:44 PM
In addition singing about terrorists by singing “Here lies a soldier” Just as bad as the Celtics IRA songs

And Father's Advice, about a man telling his son to join a terrorist organisation.

Onion
22-12-2019, 12:48 PM
As long as the two ruling clubs are happily engaging in this, the authorities will do absolutely nothing about the problem. The irony is, if Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen or any other club started responding in like, the SFA would be forced to tackle the issue.

IMO, due to their blatant inaction, the SFA, SPFL, MSM and Government are complicit.

CMurdoch
22-12-2019, 01:24 PM

The SPFL are the SPFL clubs and the clubs are the SPFL so you are not going to get any action on mass sectarian singing from there.
All SPFL clubs including our own have no stomach for strict liability so no avenue there. The SPFL clubs including our own have the whole thing nicely tied up to avoid responsibility for fans behaviour. The only thing they can't stop is the media chatter but they know that if they ride out the storm for a few days the media will move onto something new by the following weekend.

Folks on here won't like this but Hibs have benefited from a lack of strict liability more than any other Scottish club from the incidents at the Cup Final through the glass bottle thrown at Sinclair, supporter challenging Tavernier through to the glass bottle throwing incident on Friday. Make no mistake, both bottle throwing incidents could easily have resulted in serious injury or even a fatality. Again folks on here won't like this but the old firm supporters singing their ditties in a football stadium is small beer in comparison.

Why would the Police remove the flag from the scoreboard? Not a public safety or public order issue.
Down to a Hibs official to instruct the stewards to remove it if they had an issue. The stewards are there to ensure ground rules are complied with and can ask the Police to help them if a supporter won't comply with their instruction but the stewards are the agents of Hibernian Football Club. The Police inside the ground are paid for by the club but are independent of the club.