PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 20 12 19)

Jonnyboy
20-12-2019, 11:29 PM
It’s been a long while since I witnessed a game being pretty well done and dusted with less than ten minutes on the clock but that’s exactly what happened tonight. First there was the Rocky horror show and then our defence just stood and watched as the opposition strolled through them to get a second. It was painful to watch and I feared for the end result as Hibs went on to be bossed and owned by a rampant visiting side that showed all the hunger and desire sadly missing from a Hibs perspective.

Jack Ross decided to go with the same starting eleven and hearing that certainly caused concern because our lightweight midfield, playing a diamond, looked very vulnerable on paper and so it proved to be in reality. The Rangers displayed a physicality that simply overpowered our powder puff midfield and at one point I actually recalled Neil Lennon’s boy band quote. We were and are soft and any thoughts of us going to Tynecastle and wiping the floor with them are surely without foundation.

Against the Rangers you need to start the game well and establish a foothold but with just three minutes played, a bog standard Stevenson pass back saw Rocky faffing about to get the ball onto his right foot. He was quickly closed down by Aribo which resulted in a deflected clearance landing right at the feet of Ryan Kent who simply cracked the ball into an empty net. Rocky has previous for this sort of thing but it seems he’s never learned a lesson from it. The easy and sensible thing to have done would have been to use his left foot and clear his lines.

The home stands were stunned by this error and that wasn’t the end of a poor start as around five minutes later the visitors won second ball, passed it around and gave it to Aribo who scored with ease. The second ball part of that was important because Stevenson had done well to nick the ball from Aribo but none of his team mates reacted by contesting what was then a loose ball. Instead, Mallan and Allan stood and watched as the Rangers doled out the ultimate punishment for slack play.

There was little to cheer from a Hibs point of view although a couple of early half chances had me clutching at straws but the truth is we were bettered and battered in midfield and, in the first half in particular, allowed Tavernier the freedom of the right wing as Mallan failed to double up in protecting Stevenson. A Porteous block and a good save by Rocky denied a third to first Kent and then Aribo.

Last weekend I praised Jack Ross for reacting quickly to the space and time afforded to Frimpong but no such reaction ensued tonight and Tavernier was loving it. His final ball is often not great and that’s a blessing because he was given plenty of opportunities to use it.

Little was happening at the other end although Kamberi struck the side net from an acute angle whilst Boyle’s low drive was tipped away by McGregor with referee Nick Walsh awarding a goal kick. It was hard enough without Walsh getting decisions wrong. The whistler had a busy first half, flashing a number of yellow cards, all at Hibs players and it seems daft that I bemoan the lack of physicality when so many were booked for physical challenges.

Half time couldn’t come quick enough and it was obvious something had to change if Hibs were going to get back into the game. Changes were indeed made with Horgan and Slivka replacing Kamberi and Mallan. Horgan was deployed on the left, presumably to help cut off the supply to Tavernier but it didn’t work very well as the positives in Daryl’s performance all came in an attacking sense. Slivka brought some solidity to the midfield as it was, is and always will be a waste of time playing Mallan on the right of a diamond. The only time that might work, whilst also allowing Scott Allan to play further up the park would be to bring in two, physical and defence minded midfielders.

An early impact from the introduction of Horgan was his delightful cross that just evaded the head of Doidge and almost clipped the outside of the far post as it went out for a goal kick. Allan McGregor looked relieved as he would have been beaten all end up had that sailed inside the post. On the subject of McGregor I doubt I’m the only one that thinks the guy is a psycho. Screaming at everyone and anything I thought he was going to explode when Doidge bundled him over on the bye line.

Sadly the next goal went to the visitors as a Hanlon header dropped near the 18 yard line, Scott Allan simply stood and watched as Arfield headed the ball back into the area to an unmarked Defoe who turned his marker and beat Rocky at his near post.

The pressure on the home defence was relentless and things got a whole lot harder for them when Ryan Porteous rashly and needlessly went through Barisic when there was no risk to the Hibs goal. That sparked a bit of a scrum with players pushing and jostling as Nick Walsh quickly produced a red card. It was a crazy challenge and means Ryan will now sit out the game at Tynecastle. I was aware of stuff being thrown on to the pitch and it looked like cardboard cups and a cigarette lighter but I learned later that one of the missiles was a glass bottle. I sincerely hope that the cretin responsible for throwing it is found, charged and barred from Easter Road.

I was also aware that a bit of a scrum had formed in the dugout area and I saw each bench had someone sent to the stand after getting red cards.

Hibs now had to see out the final thirty minutes with only ten men on the park. Scott Allan made way for Darren McGregor and it was great to see the big fella back in action. For every one of those final thirty minutes I expected the Rangers to score again but somehow, we held out and there’s a certain irony in the fact that we defended a lot better when down to ten men although Rocky deserves praise for the fine save of a Brandon Barker effort.

The players

Marciano – I vilified Maxwell for his howler at Ross County and Rocky deserves the same for his woeful effort at the first goal. Yes, he went on to make a couple of good saves but thanks to him we were on the back foot almost from the off.

Naismith – In the first half, not a lot of play was coming down his side but he was busier in the second and I thought he was turned easily for Defoe’s goal.

Porteous – I like Ryan and feel he has huge potential but he simply must eradicate that red mist challenge from his game. He’d played well enough up until that point but left his team mates facing a long and very tiring final thirty minutes.

Hanlon – With the Rangers employing a high press, Paul was caught out a few times and especially in the first half.

Stevenson – The first thirty minutes was a nightmare for Lewis, lacking any meaningful support from Mallan and left to face Tavernier and Aribo on his own.

Boyle – I reckon Boyle could have done some damage with his pace against the likes of Barisic and Goldson but he was never really given the opportunity to prove me right or wrong.

Mallan – Believe it or not I actually like Stevie Mallan. I think he is a neat and often clever footballer but the one thing he’ll never have is the physicality required to play in a diamond.

Hallberg – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I feel sorry for the guy as he’s pretty much our midfield in physical terms. Tonight, Arfield and Kamara simply outgunned him.

Allan – Scotty was anonymous again tonight. Runs around a lot, rarely tackles and seems to have lost the ability to track a runner.

Kamberi – Another poor effort from Flo who seems to have lost any ability he had to control the ball. Too often tonight he tried to do things on his own, was swamped and lost possession.

Doidge – A quieter game tonight and it was a tough gig for him in the second half when any forward ball had the look of a missile.

Slivka – I thought Viki did well enough and at least he got stuck in when others around and before him hadn’t bothered.

Horgan – Daryl was best going forward and although he was chasing shadows at times he never stopped trying to get on the ball.

McGregor – Great to see him back and I hope he’s alright after that workout as he’s pretty sure to be playing at Tynecastle.

Jack Ross – January is going to be crucial for him.

The fans – Muted by the play on offer and the fact that the South Stand occupants were deafening at times.

Nick Walsh – I thought some of his bookings were harsh but he got the red card spot on.

greenlex
20-12-2019, 11:39 PM
It’s been a long while since I witnessed a game being pretty well done and dusted with less than ten minutes on the clock but that’s exactly what happened tonight. First there was the Rocky horror show and then our defence just stood and watched as the opposition strolled through them to get a second. It was painful to watch and I feared for the end result as Hibs went on to be bossed and owned by a rampant visiting side that showed all the hunger and desire sadly missing from a Hibs perspective.

Jack Ross decided to go with the same starting eleven and hearing that certainly caused concern because our lightweight midfield, playing a diamond, looked very vulnerable on paper and so it proved to be in reality. The Rangers displayed a physicality that simply overpowered our powder puff midfield and at one point I actually recalled Neil Lennon’s boy band quote. We were and are soft and any thoughts of us going to Tynecastle and wiping the floor with them are surely without foundation.

Against the Rangers you need to start the game well and establish a foothold but with just three minutes played, a bog standard Stevenson pass back saw Rocky faffing about to get the ball onto his right foot. He was quickly closed down by Aribo which resulted in a deflected clearance landing right at the feet of Ryan Kent who simply cracked the ball into an empty net. Rocky has previous for this sort of thing but it seems he’s never learned a lesson from it. The easy and sensible thing to have done would have been to use his left foot and clear his lines.

The home stands were stunned by this error and that wasn’t the end of a poor start as around five minutes later the visitors won second ball, passed it around and gave it to Aribo who scored with ease. The second ball part of that was important because Stevenson had done well to nick the ball from Aribo but none of his team mates reacted by contesting what was then a loose ball. Instead, Mallan and Allan stood and watched as the Rangers doled out the ultimate punishment for slack play.

There was little to cheer from a Hibs point of view although a couple of early half chances had me clutching at straws but the truth is we were bettered and battered in midfield and, in the first half in particular, allowed Tavernier the freedom of the right wing as Mallan failed to double up in protecting Stevenson. A Porteous block and a good save by Rocky denied a third to first Kent and then Aribo.

Last weekend I praised Jack Ross for reacting quickly to the space and time afforded to Frimpong but no such reaction ensued tonight and Tavernier was loving it. His final ball is often not great and that’s a blessing because he was given plenty of opportunities to use it.

Little was happening at the other end although Kamberi struck the side net from an acute angle whilst Boyle’s low drive was tipped away by McGregor with referee Nick Walsh awarding a goal kick. It was hard enough without Walsh getting decisions wrong. The whistler had a busy first half, flashing a number of yellow cards, all at Hibs players and it seems daft that I bemoan the lack of physicality when so many were booked for physical challenges.

Half time couldn’t come quick enough and it was obvious something had to change if Hibs were going to get back into the game. Changes were indeed made with Horgan and Slivka replacing Kamberi and Mallan. Horgan was deployed on the left, presumably to help cut off the supply to Tavernier but it didn’t work very well as the positives in Daryl’s performance all came in an attacking sense. Slivka brought some solidity to the midfield as it was, is and always will be a waste of time playing Mallan on the right of a diamond. The only time that might work, whilst also allowing Scott Allan to play further up the park would be to bring in two, physical and defence minded midfielders.

An early impact from the introduction of Horgan was his delightful cross that just evaded the head of Doidge and almost clipped the outside of the far post as it went out for a goal kick. Allan McGregor looked relieved as he would have been beaten all end up had that sailed inside the post. On the subject of McGregor I doubt I’m the only one that thinks the guy is a psycho. Screaming at everyone and anything I thought he was going to explode when Doidge bundled him over on the bye line.

Sadly the next goal went to the visitors as a Hanlon header dropped near the 18 yard line, Scott Allan simply stood and watched as Arfield headed the ball back into the area to an unmarked Defoe who turned his marker and beat Rocky at his near post.

The pressure on the home defence was relentless and things got a whole lot harder for them when Ryan Porteous rashly and needlessly went through Barisic when there was no risk to the Hibs goal. That sparked a bit of a scrum with players pushing and jostling as Nick Walsh quickly produced a red card. It was a crazy challenge and means Ryan will now sit out the game at Tynecastle. I was aware of stuff being thrown on to the pitch and it looked like cardboard cups and a cigarette lighter but I learned later that one of the missiles was a glass bottle. I sincerely hope that the cretin responsible for throwing it is found, charged and barred from Easter Road.

I was also aware that a bit of a scrum had formed in the dugout area and I saw each bench had someone sent to the stand after getting red cards.

Hibs now had to see out the final thirty minutes with only ten men on the park. Scott Allan made way for Darren McGregor and it was great to see the big fella back in action. For every one of those final thirty minutes I expected the Rangers to score again but somehow, we held out and there’s a certain irony in the fact that we defended a lot better when down to ten men although Rocky deserves praise for the fine save of a Brandon Barker effort.

The players

Marciano – I vilified Maxwell for his howler at Ross County and Rocky deserves the same for his woeful effort at the first goal. Yes, he went on to make a couple of good saves but thanks to him we were on the back foot almost from the off.

Naismith – In the first half, not a lot of play was coming down his side but he was busier in the second and I thought he was turned easily for Defoe’s goal.

Porteous – I like Ryan and feel he has huge potential but he simply must eradicate that red mist challenge from his game. He’d played well enough up until that point but left his team mates facing a long and very tiring final thirty minutes.

Hanlon – With the Rangers employing a high press, Paul was caught out a few times and especially in the first half.

Stevenson – The first thirty minutes was a nightmare for Lewis, lacking any meaningful support from Mallan and left to face Tavernier and Aribo on his own.

Boyle – I reckon Boyle could have done some damage with his pace against the likes of Barisic and Goldson but he was never really given the opportunity to prove me right or wrong.

Mallan – Believe it or not I actually like Stevie Mallan. I think he is a neat and often clever footballer but the one thing he’ll never have is the physicality required to play in a diamond.

Hallberg – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I feel sorry for the guy as he’s pretty much our midfield in physical terms. Tonight, Arfield and Kamara simply outgunned him.

Allan – Scotty was anonymous again tonight. Runs around a lot, rarely tackles and seems to have lost the ability to track a runner.

Kamberi – Another poor effort from Flo who seems to have lost any ability he had to control the ball. Too often tonight he tried to do things on his own, was swamped and lost possession.

Doidge – A quieter game tonight and it was a tough gig for him in the second half when any forward ball had the look of a missile.

Slivka – I thought Viki did well enough and at least he got stuck in when others around and before him hadn’t bothered.

Horgan – Daryl was best going forward and although he was chasing shadows at times he never stopped trying to get on the ball.

McGregor – Great to see him back and I hope he’s alright after that workout as he’s pretty sure to be playing at Tynecastle.

Jack Ross – January is going to be crucial for him.

The fans – Muted by the play on offer and the fact that the South Stand occupants were deafening at times.

Nick Walsh – I thought some of his bookings were harsh but he got the red card spot on.
agree with all of that JC. The Stevenson booking was baffling. Middle of the park big standard foul. Booked for persistent fouling? I reckon it was his first real challenge.

men against boys all over the park.

hibby6270
20-12-2019, 11:43 PM
JB - you normally name a MOTM but notice you haven’t tonight.
Maybe you’re of the same opinion as me. Tonight could, maybe should, have been a first!!

Nobody, imo, deserved to be named MOTM.
Scathing comment I know but that was a tame team display worthy of criticism only I’m afraid.

Jim Herriot
20-12-2019, 11:46 PM
Thanks as always for providing your thoughts, which I always look out for after a game. They're particularly valued after a defeat to counteract the inevitable blame game.

But no MOTM?

Jonnyboy
20-12-2019, 11:48 PM
No man of the match named as no one really deserved it. If pushed I’d say McGregor or Slivka 👍

Franck Stanton
20-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Quite a few of our forward moves broke down to Flo failing to control the ball. He had one of those nights when he would have struggled to trap & control a bag of cement. He however wasn't alone. Outplayed, out thought out muscled. Never was I so glad to hear the final whistle. We just didn't turn up. Hope we do next game.

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2019, 11:56 PM
Agree with all of that Jonnyboy

The game looked over after three minutes and it was definitely over after eight the third goal was crucial and there was only one team going to get it as The Rangers grew in confidence from their early Christmas present

The Rangers do not have any superstars but they are well organised and every man knows their job they are a very good side and look well suited for a good run in Europe you cannot afford to give a team of that quality any gifts

Thanks once again for posting

Merry Christmas and a Hibby New Year

:thumbsup:

HFC 0-7
21-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Only thing I would add to that would be around jack Ross and his tactics. Rangers must have thought they had won the lottery when we went 2 up and a diamond.

NAE NOOKIE
21-12-2019, 12:19 AM
Outplayed from beginning to end in every aspect of the game, movement, physicality, organisation, passing, pace, you name it ... in all honesty we were lucky to get away with 0 - 3 .... If you want to clutch at a straw the fact we avoided losing any more goals with 10 men is about it ... cold comfort to say the least.

AZhibee
21-12-2019, 12:36 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy, really needed some perspective on today.

matty_f
21-12-2019, 12:43 AM
I had no man of the match today as well, I honestly think that was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Hibs side at home. We were pathetic in every position, not one player won their individual battle.

Rangers were excellent and we couldn't cope with them, bit did we have to make it so easy for them?!

There was a distinct lack of bottle in the team tonight, ironic given we're now under the spotlight for one coming from the stand. Players took no responsibility at all, panicky, kick the ball in the direction you're facing because you're too scared to take the ball in football.

Players stood off Rangers and let them pick passes, we didn't track runners, we were second (at best) to every ball.

Outplayed, out-worked, out-thought and out-fought. It was pathetic.

Rangers won't have an easier game this season.

Stuart93
21-12-2019, 12:45 AM
I had no man of the match today as well, I honestly think that was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Hibs side at home. We were pathetic in every position, not one player won their individual battle.

Rangers were excellent and we couldn't cope with them, bit did we have to make it so easy for them?!

There was a distinct lack of bottle in the team tonight, ironic given we're now under the spotlight for one coming from the stand. Players took no responsibility at all, panicky, kick the ball in the direction you're facing because you're too scared to take the ball in football.

Players stood off Rangers and let them pick passes, we didn't track runners, we were second (at best) to every ball.

Agreed

Echoed by some of their fans saying it’s the easiest 3 points they’ve picked up at Easter Road in a long time

As much as the Rangers have improved we’ve went so far backwards it’s unreal.

ehf
21-12-2019, 01:15 AM

I've been racking my brains but I can't think of a more woeful, gutless performance at ER in over 40 years. Bewildering after the Aberdeen game, hopefully an aberration, but we absolutely must inject some character and leadership in January.

Saint Hibee
21-12-2019, 01:24 AM
I actually thought Kamberi was one of the only players to have a proper go at The Rangers. Admittedly it didn’t all come off, but at least he was trying to make things happen.

hibee_girl
21-12-2019, 01:39 AM
I actually thought Kamberi was one of the only players to have a proper go at The Rangers. Admittedly it didn’t all come off, but at least he was trying to make things happen.

I did think that was a strange sub at the time.

Yes, a lot wasn’t coming off for him but he was really the only one who was looking like he could do something.

Mallan can just leave, every game I start off thinking I’ll give him a fair go etc but by the end I hate him even more. He brings absolutely nothing to the team, saunters around pointing etc but not actually doing anything, he’s scared to make a tackle, half heartedly tracks back and can’t even deliver a decent free kick or corner anymore.

matty_f
21-12-2019, 02:37 AM

Flo's evening can be summed up by the phrases "heavy first touch" and "nonsense flicks".

His second touch is a tackle, he won nothing in the air, constantly gave the ball away (not alone in that respect).

franck sauzee
21-12-2019, 02:54 AM

Thought he was dreadful today. Never seems to be able to play 2 good games in a row. Great one week and shocking the next. Rather than take the ball in and find a pass he was trying to flick it on when it was never on

Jack Ross got it massively wrong with his team selection I thought. How can you think a midfield of Mallan, Allan, Kamberi, Boyle and Hallberg can compete against their 5? If we had started with the team that started the second half from the start who knows. Oh with Bogdan in goals because Rocky has chucked away so many early goals this season. He might pull out a couple of great saves but hardly makes up for it when we are backs to the wall from the very start of the game. He did same at Ibrox

Hibeesmad
21-12-2019, 03:25 AM
The singing section in the FF is a complete waste, I never hear a word they sing and it's a wasted opportunity of bring together a positive atmosphere for the team.

dmc1875
21-12-2019, 03:35 AM
Flo's evening can be summed up by the phrases "heavy first touch" and "nonsense flicks".

His second touch is a tackle, he won nothing in the air, constantly gave the ball away (not alone in that respect).

He had absolutely zero support he was totally isolated. He’s dangerous and causes teams problems. Today in the first half Doidge might as well not have been on the pitch he was that invisible.

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2019, 06:40 AM

:agree:

This!

PeeJay
21-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Good report as ever - pity the match was so awful - Ryan should actually have seen yellow for flooring some Rangers player (Aribo?) in the box when they scored their 2nd - right in front of the ref ... guys needs to concentrate more and change his attitude

I_Love_Latapy
21-12-2019, 09:31 AM
I think its simple - we were outplayed by a better team who were tactically set up to exploit weaknesses in our shape and pressed very well indeed.

- Front three great intensity, often created 3 v 3, made it harder to play quality ball from back ... and led to first goal
- Denied us space in midfield to do our nice passing triangles and work the ball round - multiple times in front of us in the East they just boxed in the man with the ball and forced errors. Caused Mallan/Allan/Lewis to get frustrated.
- Lost count of the times they anticipated and cut out our midfield passing - really good positioning that is only learned on the training pitch.
- Exploited space out wide caused by narrow diamond - Lewis and Jason were run ragged not knowing who to pick up
- Attacking 3 meant they always had attacking options & men in box ... goals 2 & 3.
- Kent finding space in central midfield all game (did we start with a flat mid 4 then switch to a diamond after about 20 mins?)
- physically stronger and more skilful at winning the ball
- difficult for us to get quality ball up to the front two and exploit our attacking formation. Game was hardly played in our attacking third at all.

Much as I hate to say it, really very impressive. I suspect McAllister has a hand in all this - canny bloke who was always one step ahead in his day. Sometimes we can get very focussed on our shortcomings. On this occasion, we should reluctantly acknowledge how good Rangers were.

To counter this? Well I'm absolutely no expert and agree with pundits who say problem we have is getting our squad of decent but not stellar players into a formation that plays to their strengths ... but FWIW my logic would go:

- Flat 442 old fashioned and left space for Kent between 2 lines of 4
- Diamond 442 too much space for overlapping full backs
- 451 Neither of our senior strikers look like scoring as a lone striker

... so 3-5-2 with Boyle & Lewis out wide, Allan, Hallberg and ANO (Mallan/Slivka although it pains me to say it) and Doidge/Flo

Thoughts?

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 09:34 AM
I think its simple - we were outplayed by a better team who were tactically set up to exploit weaknesses in our shape and pressed very well indeed.

- Front three great intensity, often created 3 v 3, made it harder to play quality ball from back ... and led to first goal
- Denied us space in midfield to do our nice passing triangles and work the ball round - multiple times in front of us in the East they just boxed in the man with the ball and forced errors. Caused Mallan/Allan/Lewis to get frustrated.
- Lost count of the times they anticipated and cut out our midfield passing - really good positioning that is only learned on the training pitch.
- Exploited space out wide caused by narrow diamond - Lewis and Jason were run ragged not knowing who to pick up
- Attacking 3 meant they always had attacking options & men in box ... goals 2 & 3.
- Kent finding space in central midfield all game (did we start with a flat mid 4 then switch to a diamond after about 20 mins?)
- physically stronger and more skilful at winning the ball
- difficult for us to get quality ball up to the front two and exploit our attacking formation. Game was hardly played in our attacking third at all.

Much as I hate to say it, really very impressive. I suspect McAllister has a hand in all this - canny bloke who was always one step ahead in his day. Sometimes we can get very focussed on our shortcomings. On this occasion, we should reluctantly acknowledge how good Rangers were.

To counter this? Well I'm absolutely no expert and agree with pundits who say problem we have is getting our squad of decent but not stellar players into a formation that plays to their strengths ... but FWIW my logic would go:

- Flat 442 old fashioned and left space for Kent between 2 lines of 4
- Diamond 442 too much space for overlapping full backs
- 451 Neither of our senior strikers look like scoring as a lone striker

... so 3-5-2 with Boyle & Lewis out wide, Allan, Hallberg and ANO (Mallan/Slivka although it pains me to say it) and Doidge/Flo

Thoughts?

The 3 in bold should be nowhere near the starting 11.

JimBHibees
21-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Agree was at least showing for the ball though touch was poor. Actually starting to think a midfield without both Mallan and Allan may be a shout they are such a liability when other team has the ball.

Ellahappyhibee
21-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Perhaps it is time to give another chance to Hecky's signings: Vela, James, Newell. Can they really be any worse than what we had palying last night.
Sadly time must be up for many - Stevenson, Hanlon, Gray (yes he didn't play, but he is injured most of the time). And also Allan & Mallan are not top 4 SPL standard - stood out when played in Scottish Championship but not consistenly in SPL?

Mantis Toboggan
21-12-2019, 10:53 AM
I think the whole 90 was a nightmare for Stevenson. And he has been like that for a while sadly. And Mallan was truly terrible, you've been a bit too kind to him there.

Mantis Toboggan
21-12-2019, 10:53 AM
The 3 in bold should be nowhere near the starting 11.

Agree

cmcd
21-12-2019, 11:33 AM
Agree

I disagree ref Stevenson .Lack of support has been a problem for some time .People complain about him passing back.Most of the time he has no one to pass to. I would rather he passed backwards than give the ball away .Only my opinion of course

Baldy Foghorn
21-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Woeful all over park from start to finish

hibee_girl
21-12-2019, 11:37 AM
I disagree ref Stevenson .Lack of support has been a problem for some time .People complain about him passing back.Most of the time he has no one to pass to. I would rather he passed backwards than give the ball away .Only my opinion of course

I totally agree with this.

You can see it quite clearly this season that he has had no support from whoever is in midfield, Mallan being the absolute worst last night.

Smartie
21-12-2019, 01:03 PM
The only time Hecky’s one up front worked this season was when we played Celtic at home (arguably Aberdeen away).

It’s not going to be acceptable against most of the teams in this league but it has its place.

The bottom line though is that we need better players if we’re to give them a game any time soon. I don’t agree with getting rid of all the defenders but that midfield badly needs bolstered.

judas
21-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Great article by a talented reviewer. I look forward to reading this after every game.

Mind you, I don’t know what I am missing with Portos tackle.

I just don’t see it as a card or even a foul.

Someone on here needs to explain the rules to me.

Jonnyboy
21-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Great article by a talented reviewer. I look forward to reading this after every game.

Mind you, I don’t know what I am missing with Portos tackle.

I just don’t see it as a card or even a foul.

Someone on here needs to explain the rules to me.

At the game I felt it was justified but I've watched again from several angles and I'm not convinced any contact was made with Barisic. I know this splits opinion but I wish JR had held his counsel and considered an appeal after watching it himself

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 09:48 PM
Perhaps it is time to give another chance to Hecky's signings: Vela, James, Newell. Can they really be any worse than what we had palying last night.
Sadly time must be up for many - Stevenson, Hanlon, Gray (yes he didn't play, but he is injured most of the time). And also Allan & Mallan are not top 4 SPL standard - stood out when played in Scottish Championship but not consistenly in SPL?

Scott Allan's not top 4 standard?

He would walk into every midfield in the country outside Parkhead and Ibrox.

Onceinawhile
21-12-2019, 09:59 PM
At the game I felt it was justified but I've watched again from several angles and I'm not convinced any contact was made with Barisic. I know this splits opinion but I wish JR had held his counsel and considered an appeal after watching it himself

Nah, he defo makes contact. It's after he rinses through the ball. Gets the ball first, but does follow through.

I thought it was yellow at worst though.

matty_f
21-12-2019, 11:58 PM
He had absolutely zero support he was totally isolated. He’s dangerous and causes teams problems. Today in the first half Doidge might as well not have been on the pitch he was that invisible.
Flo caused us more danger than he did Rangers last night, if he's isolated then he needs to hold the ball up and find a pass. He did neither of those things all night and mostly spent the evening chasing down the ball after he'd lost control of it.

I like Flo, he's a good player and I'd have him in my team every week. He was rank last night though.

I_Love_Latapy
22-12-2019, 11:47 AM
I totally agree with this.

You can see it quite clearly this season that he has had no support from whoever is in midfield, Mallan being the absolute worst last night.

I agree too. Defending is a team/shape/percentage game and teams have quickly worked out that our FBs are exposed down the flanks.

No point in picking out individuals to blame. Our players are decent, squad needs a defensive-minded midfielder, shape needs sorted out.