PDA

View Full Version : A two-team league propped up by 10 potential relegation candidates

G B Young
20-12-2019, 09:50 PM
After the optimism generated by us cuffing the sheep it's depressing to see just how far behind Celtic and Rangers we are these days. They are MILES ahead of the rest of the league. Money talks of course, but Lennon and Gerrard seem to have taken both to another level entirely (witness their progress in Europe) coupled with a very marked decline in the quality of the rest of the league.

USAHibby
20-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Why is anyone surprised by this? Remember when our own club along with others had the opportunity to really stick the knife in to the Rangers and twist it around to really punish them for decades upon decades of tainted silverware and absolute hammerings and humiliations dished out to the smaller clubs? But instead, we put money first. We took a soft, lenient approach that we wouldn't give to any other club with the exception of those 2. Some fans said things would very quickly go back to the status quo. But their concerns fell on deaf ears. Now here we are. Business as usual. "Going for 55". As if nothing wrong had ever happened.

blackpoolhibs
20-12-2019, 10:22 PM
After the optimism generated by us cuffing the sheep it's depressing to see just how far behind Celtic and Rangers we are these days. They are MILES ahead of the rest of the league. Money talks of course, but Lennon and Gerrard seem to have taken both to another level entirely (witness their progress in Europe) coupled with a very marked decline in the quality of the rest of the league.

Not for me, yes the bigots are strong but we are a lot worse than previously, and the rest of the league is in my opinion weaker too.

GreenCastle
20-12-2019, 10:26 PM
The thing is the Old Firm also have an issue of not being good enough for Champions League and won’t win the Europa League.

They want the English league money but they are stuck up here in a 2 horse race.

Personally wouldn’t care if they both left the league and moved to the moon.

Scottish football would be a better place without them. The gap won’t close anytime soon.

Chorley Hibee
20-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Why is anyone surprised by this? Remember when our own club along with others had the opportunity to really stick the knife in to the Rangers and twist it around to really punish them for decades upon decades of tainted silverware and absolute hammerings and humiliations dished out to the smaller clubs? But instead, we put money first. We took a soft, lenient approach that we wouldn't give to any other club with the exception of those 2. Some fans said things would very quickly go back to the status quo. But their concerns fell on deaf ears. Now here we are. Business as usual. "Going for 55". As if nothing wrong had ever happened.

Correct!

All those clubs (our own included) are a bunch of cowards that rolled over and gave tacit approval to years of cheating.

Here we are again and it's as if nothing happened.

Hibs, on and off the pitch, are back to rolling over at the mere mention of Celtic and Rangers.

Torto7
20-12-2019, 10:46 PM
It's absolutely sickening. Remember the fans had to threaten their own clubs with boycotts to even get the little punishment that they did end up receiving. Petrie was a coward, just like Milne and all the rest of them.

G B Young
21-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Not for me, yes the bigots are strong but we are a lot worse than previously, and the rest of the league is in my opinion weaker too.

I agree, and I pointed that out at the end of my post.

Watching the way we dismantled Aberdeen in the second half a couple of weeks back made me start to think we were maybe not so far off the pace after all, but on the evidence of our last two games against Celtic and Rangers you realise that it was partly down to the bang average quality of the opposition which allowed us to play with a bit of panache against the sheep.

Jones28
21-12-2019, 10:38 AM
They’re in a league of their own. Always have been and forever will be.

lucky
21-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Money talks in all leagues. Rangers were punished, they dropped to the bottom league and came back stronger. Even if they had been put out the league they’d have reformed and bounced back to the premiership. But during that period Celtic would have done as they have been doing.... win everything

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-12-2019, 10:49 AM
And the EPL this season is a one team league?

Renfrew_Hibby
21-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Obviously the EPL and the Football league don't want the old firm down there but could we see a political intervention?

I can imagine some Tory rue whereby you vote no to independence and the old firm get a league transfer.

Not So Young
21-12-2019, 10:53 AM
As has been said above we had a chance to change Scottish Football for the good but bottled it. We let Rangers back in and we failed to get rid of the 11-1 rule.

There are times we are our own worst enemy

where'stheslope
21-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Over the years the Old Firm have always weakened opposition teams by buying players that they know are not good enough for their first teams, and set out to destablise players by having their names linked to their teams in the media!!
Just at the end of last season Ranger bought the young boy from Motherwell only to send him out on loan at the start of the this season?
Scott Allen went to Celtic and nearly disappeared off the radar in Scottish football?
We all know that is just the tip of the iceberg, but how do you stop a youngsters ambition to try and play for them with the money it brings?

Dmas
21-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Be worse next year the bigots will be pushing the boat out next year if Stevie G fails again this season, the all important 10th title, everyone be out to get celtic they’ll spend big to make sure and the rangers will be betting everything on stopping it

The rest will be scraping the barrel wherever we can

Fuzzywuzzy
22-12-2019, 05:10 PM
They way the media talk about them they seem to forget they have a **** ton of money and outspend every team in the league/leagues combined just to get one up on the other

Keith_M
22-12-2019, 05:18 PM
How many years is it since another club won the league?

It's not exactly anything new, is it.

CraigHibee
22-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Its the same every season, the old firm have more money than any team in the league, they will always buy better players than anyone else and even the surplus of players they have and want to get rid off the likelihood is no other team up here could take them unless they were given a free transfer and negotiated a much smaller pay with that club

Kojock
22-12-2019, 05:35 PM
How many years is it since another club won the league?

It's not exactly anything new, is it.

Celtic have won the last ten trophies and now that Rangers are stronger Scottish football is basically finished as a competition. Yes we might win over 90 minutes but over a season we have no chance of winning the league. The European money the ugly sister receive means the rich get richer and leaves every other club in their wake. All we can hope for is third place down.

Killiehibbie
22-12-2019, 05:55 PM
This is the reason i've always preferred the cup competitions.

Torto7
22-12-2019, 06:08 PM
The reason I and a lot of others are pissed off is because we had the chance to bury them and shat it. Some on here seem to have the attitude of all right then normality is restored. I.e the same loser mentality that the 'diddy' clubs love to put on display over the years. Petrie was a coward who was working his ticket to get the SFA gig and protecting his stake in the club probably in the knowledge that the club would be sold soon.

Add in the financial doping going on, the lack of FFP(i wonder who that benefits) and the general boakfest with the sevconians gloating in the media and it leaves a bad taste.

The previous board/ownership at Hibernian along with the other clubs failed us.

hibbysam
22-12-2019, 06:20 PM
The reason I and a lot of others are pissed off is because we had the chance to bury them and shat it. Some on here seem to have the attitude of all right then normality is restored. I.e the same loser mentality that the 'diddy' clubs love to put on display over the years. Petrie was a coward who was working his ticket to get the SFA gig and protecting his stake in the club probably in the knowledge that the club would be sold soon.

Add in the financial doping going on, the lack of FFP(i wonder who that benefits) and the general boakfest with the sevconians gloating in the media and it leaves a bad taste.

Just curious, not being smart I genuinely ain’t aware of what could’ve been done, how could they have been buried by Hibernian? I was fairly sure our club refused them entry to our league (SPL),it was then down to the lower league clubs to determine if they got entry, and at what level to the SFL... I know the SFA bent some rules to get them in, but that was nothing to do with individual clubs.

sambajustice
22-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Without checking any record books celtic and rangers have won about 103 titles out of 140 or something. its always been the same

MWHIBBIES
22-12-2019, 07:03 PM

They have 45k season ticket holders, they were never getting burries. A phoenix club would be top 2 within 10 years.

Killiehibbie
22-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Without checking any record books celtic and rangers have won about 103 titles out of 140 or something. its always been the same

104 v less than 20 for the rest of us. This is the longest run of nobody else winning it.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-12-2019, 07:14 PM
IMO the closest fans came to seizing and controlling the agenda was when the scottish football fans survey was setup in the wake of the Rangers episode. Iirc it was a couple of shivers too. But handed over and controlled there after by others. Whether these others have agendas, are lobbied or truly independent is neither here nor there.