PDA

View Full Version : Sending off ?

Pages : [1] 2

dastardly8
20-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Hard but won the ball ? , helping hand for the old firm as usual ? , thoughts ?

20-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Fair challenge. I’m not going to pretend to be impartial though as I think any challenge on a rangers player short of a gunshot wound is acceptable tbh.

The 90+2
20-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Nah the intention was there. Liability for Tynie anyway, blessing in disguise.

Ozyhibby
20-12-2019, 08:42 PM
He wins the ball but it is a reckless tackle and a red card. He’s not showing any signs of learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frazerbob
Hibs MUST appeal it. Time to stop being walk over.

thegaffer12
Red card, but not as bad as everyone seems to be making it out to be in the media

supermcginn
Never a red. According to mwhibbies he's a fud and a tool though.

Onion
20-12-2019, 08:43 PM

They were way way past the point of needing a helping hand, they were murdering us. More problematic for us losing Porteous for the Hearts game !

Robbo6-2
He needs to grow up big time or he will end up with a career like Jordan Foster

Lancs Harp
Plenty of opinion on the match thread but its red for me, reckless and unneccessary. Poor decison making IMO why make a challenge that strongly in that postion. We're 3-0 down the games gone, its a distance from goal, why??? Enjoy the Hearts game from the stand Ryan. Not impressed personally.

Heisenberg
20-12-2019, 08:44 PM
I’ve seen it several times and I actually don’t think it’s a red now either. He’s gone in fast and won the ball, where’s he meant to go in the aftermath of winning the ball? He can’t disappear. His follow through wasn’t studs up or high. No chance we win any appeal though, obviously.

Vault Boy
Will need to see it again but I didn't think it warranted a red card. It was definitely harder than necessary, but from what I saw completely clean.

Harsh IMO.

LaMotta
Porto has obvious abilities and potential but ive had doubts about his individual errors and rash challenges for a while.

Last 2 weeks have been brutal from him....needs to cut that out if hes getting to the top or more importantly even staying in this Hibs team.

Lancs Harp

Not a chance that would be overturned.

Gloucester Hibs
20-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Won the ball and both feet weren’t off the ground? Have to appeal it? You can go on about intent but Nick Walsh isn’t a mind reader so can’t make that call IMO.

Frazerbob
20-12-2019, 08:46 PM

But it would free him up for the derby. Other clubs play the system.

Forza Fred
20-12-2019, 08:47 PM
I thought his intention was to take the player out.

It was almost as if he was lining him up.

He DID get the ball, but For me
it was still a reckless tackle and think that Ryan needs to learn quickly that his career won’t progress the way everybody wants it if he is deemed as a risk of regular reds.

Diclonius
20-12-2019, 08:47 PM
Porteous needs some time out to work on those kinds of challenges.

Ozyhibby
20-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Porto has obvious abilities and potential but ive had doubts about his individual errors and rash challenges for a while.

Last 2 weeks have been brutal from him....needs to cut that out if hes getting to the top or more importantly even staying in this Hibs team.

He has potential but goes to ground far to easily. Best centre half’s stay on their feet.

Allant1981
20-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Was never a red card, he won all of the ball, the rangers boy was hardly even touched, looked worse in real time because of the speed but it was not a sending off

-Jonesy-
20-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Stiff challenge but not over the ball and kept it on the ground, harsh red for me but maybe that’s green tinted specs.

Allant1981
20-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Said poster never has a positive word to say about anything at the best of times

LaMotta
20-12-2019, 08:54 PM
He has potential but goes to ground far to easily. Best centre half’s stay on their feet.

:agree:

:agree:His errors have largely been glossed over by many.

Heisenberg
20-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Seen it again now. Think I’ve changed my mind again. Red card.

sean04
20-12-2019, 08:55 PM
I think playing next to Hanlon isn’t helping. Far better player next to efe

jakedance
20-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Just seen it again. It’s a shocker and a sending off. Reckless and dangerous.

Cabbie1875
20-12-2019, 08:56 PM
Never a red, that ref was just bursting to give it, these mutants get everything from refs!!

Fact

Carheenlea
20-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Seen it again and not a red for me - not even a foul. Are hard tackles when you win the ball now outlawed?

Lancs Harp
20-12-2019, 08:57 PM
But it would free him up for the derby. Other clubs play the system.

At Least Daz is back Bob.

Scottie
20-12-2019, 08:58 PM
What makes me more incensed is the fact not 1 of our players stepped in to stand up for him when he was getting it tight of the Hun players. Got jostled all the way off :fuming:

Sammy7nil
20-12-2019, 08:59 PM

Was never a red card, he won all of the ball, the rangers boy was hardly even touched, looked worse in real time because of the speed but it was not a sending off

I think you may all want to have another look . I think the close up freeze frame is pretty damning. No chance of winning an appeal.

Tyler Durden
20-12-2019, 08:59 PM
People need to learn the rules, it’s a clear red card. Winning the ball is irrelevant. He may aswell have punched someone in the face.

Utter stupidity and he’s building a reputation for this nonsense now.

Allant1981
20-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Just seen it again. It’s a shocker and a sending off. Reckless and dangerous.

He won all of the ball and barely touched the guy, what part of it was dangerous?

Allant1981
20-12-2019, 09:01 PM
I think you may all want to have another look . I think the close up freeze frame is pretty damning. No chance of winning an appeal.

I've seen it a few times and it's not a red card in my opinion, not that it matters as it's up to the ref at the end of the day

Bostonhibby
20-12-2019, 09:01 PM
A better judge of the tackle would have been content with winning the ball, which Ryan did. I'm guessing the ref was happy to dish out the red because of the follow through.

Not the first time Ryan's gone this way and won't be the last. Doesn't help the team, I can see why the ref gave a red, doubt it would have gone the other way though. Now McGregor's fit we probably shouldn't appeal it.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

PiemanP
20-12-2019, 09:02 PM
If that’s a red then it’s sad the way football is going. Won all of the ball, one foot and studs down. Hard but fair in my book. Oh and for reference I’m 28 in case anyone wants to file me under the ‘old clientele’ on here.

Bostonhibby
20-12-2019, 09:02 PM
People need to learn the rules, it’s a clear red card. Winning the ball is irrelevant. He may aswell have punched someone in the face.

Utter stupidity and he’s building a reputation for this nonsense now.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

jakedance
20-12-2019, 09:03 PM
He won all of the ball and barely touched the guy, what part of it was dangerous?

Off his feet, uncontrolled and followed through. It’s a clear red. Their wouldn’t be a debate if a hun did it.

Aside from anything else it’s idiotic to have put himself in the position where the referee was likely to send him off.

Callum7
Can view it here.

https://twitter.com/rfc_est1872/status/1208131559049564161?s=21

SquashedFrogg

I think you need to learn the rules. Same as punching someone? This has to be the most ridiculous post I've read.

Lost for words.

NC1875
20-12-2019, 09:04 PM
What makes me more incensed is the fact not 1 of our players stepped in to stand up for him when he was getting it tight of the Hun players. Got jostled all the way off :fuming:

Yip. Not even our “captain”. Captains are supposed to be leaders.
We are soft as s***e all over the park just now.

norhfc
20-12-2019, 09:04 PM
At first I thought he won the ball but looking at it again it’s probably a red. Needless tackle.
Gerrard blaming the Hibs bench when him and 5 of his staff stormed over to the home bench.
Pretty obvious who the aggressors where there but that is already been ignored.

Allant1981
20-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Off his feet, uncontrolled and followed through. It’s a clear red. Their wouldn’t be a debate if a hun did it.

He was not off the ground, it was controlled hence him winning every single bit of the ball, it's not a red

J-C
20-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Looked like solid fair sliding challenge, he got to the ball well before the Rangers player, should be appealed.

A Hi-Bee
Can view it here.

Nothing wrong wi that one, he went for the ball which is the name of the game and he won the ball, the rankers wimp made a right meal of it followed by the dugoot that represents sevco.

-Jonesy-
Can view it here.

We should be appealing that

Allant1981
20-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Looked like solid fair sliding challenge, he got to the ball well before the Rangers player, should be appealed.

It was the speed of the tackle that went against him I think, as that clip above shows it was a cracking tackle

SquashedFrogg
20-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Can view it here.

Not out of control. Won the ball clearly. Hun throw in.

Refer to other soft bookings to validate referee incompetence.

MWHIBBIES
20-12-2019, 09:09 PM
He wins the ball but it is a reckless tackle and a red card. He’s not showing any signs of learning.

This.

Sammy7nil
20-12-2019, 09:09 PM
He was not off the ground, it was controlled hence him winning every single bit of the ball, it's not a red

Did you see the freeze frame on BT there is not a hope in hell of winning an appeal if the Rangers player had not tried to duck out it would have been worse. You will not see a clearer red all next year.

Allant1981
20-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Did you see the freeze frame on BT there is not a hope in hell of winning an appeal if the Rangers player had not tried to duck out it would have been worse. You will not see a clearer red all next year.

Freeze frames will always look worse, look at the twitter clip above and tell me what was wrong with it

LaMotta
20-12-2019, 09:11 PM
Ive been critical of porto and stand by it but having seen having seen the tackle properly that is not that bad a tackle....Stevie May and Harry Cochrane have got away with much worse.

Tyler Durden
20-12-2019, 09:12 PM
I think you need to learn the rules. Same as punching someone? This has to be the most ridiculous post I've read.

Lost for words.

Watching the game live it was very clear what Porteous was trying to do, we’ve seen him do it before. It wasn’t a natural challenge to simply win the ball - he was going for the man aswell.

Under “Serious Foul Play” the laws state “Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

Porto’s challenge was excessive and endangered Barisic. It’s blatant. He knew what he was doing. He needs to cut this out of his game

HendoDelivered
20-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Red all day long IMO.

Callum_62
20-12-2019, 09:14 PM
An see why red was given, think super ally etc were going a bit OTT on it to be fair

How they seen it:

https://www.facebook.com/615532161897796/posts/2530089693775357/

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
20-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Watching the game live it was very clear what Porteous was trying to do, we’ve seen him do it before. It wasn’t a natural challenge to simply win the ball - he was going for the man aswell.

Under “Serious Foul Play” the laws state “Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

Porto’s challenge was excessive and endangered Barisic. It’s blatant. He knew what he was doing. He needs to cut this out of his game

But the law you've just suitably paraphrased isn't applicable here?

danhibees1875
20-12-2019, 09:16 PM
He seen the chance to take the ball and player at once and took it. It was aggressive but I don't think worth a red (not seen a replay).

Sammy7nil
20-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Freeze frames will always look worse, look at the twitter clip above and tell me what was wrong with it

His first touch was terrible he lost control went in to the tackle with real stupidity using excessive force and kicked the Rangers player on his shin. Other than that it was a decent challenge. :doh:

hibbysam
20-12-2019, 09:18 PM

Any tackle endangers a player depending how the fall, any high feet regardless of contact is also endangering an opponent, any elbow.

CMurdoch
20-12-2019, 09:18 PM
I thought his intention was to take the player out.

It was almost as if he was lining him up.

He DID get the ball, but For me
it was still a reckless tackle and think that Ryan needs to learn quickly that his career won’t progress the way everybody wants it if he is deemed as a risk of regular reds.

Exactly how i saw it from the East. Lined the guy up.
Looked like he was going to clear the ball into touch with his right foot then decided to take the ball with his left and take the player out with his right foot in the follow through both of which he accomplished.
Cheated his teammates and the supporters. The last half hour after that was a misery for both as a result of his selfish stupidity. Silly arse could have hurt himself as well.

Hibernia&Alba
20-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Red all day long IMO.

For winning the ball? Why is that a red card?

Allant1981
His first touch was terrible he lost control went in to the tackle with real stupidity using excessive force and kicked the Rangers player on his shin. Other than that it was a decent challenge. :doh:

We will agree to disagree

cabbage_88
Genuinely can’t believe the amount of folk on here who think that was a red. Bit reckless yes, but a yellow would have been absolutely fine. Clearly wins the ball, albeit a hard challenge but hardly studs up or anything. Disgrace of a decision imo and we should be appealing it

Tyler Durden
But the law you've just suitably paraphrased isn't applicable here?

If you don’t think he lunged then no point debating it.

Porteous could easily have got that ball first and not even touched the Rangers player. He hesitated to wait as he saw an opportunity to take both ball and man

Hermit Crab
20-12-2019, 09:20 PM

Appeal? It’s a stonewall red. Don’t want him playing v hearts anyway. Too much of a liability.

Hermit Crab
20-12-2019, 09:20 PM

Absolutely no need mate.

The 90+2
20-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Ive been critical of porto and stand by it but having seen having seen the tackle properly that is not that bad a tackle....Stevie May and Harry Cochrane have got away with much worse.

They both should have been sending offs too though.

Tomsk

What I saw was a perfectly timed and fair tackle.

I am left wondering what it was that made the Rangers player slump to the ground apparently beyond any hope of ever walking again never mind playing football, or indeed what made Chris Sutton believe that the Rangers player had been hit half way up his shin.

hibbysam
If you don’t think he lunged then no point debating it.

Porteous could easily have got that ball first and not even touched the Rangers player. He hesitated to wait as he saw an opportunity to take both ball and man

It wasn’t a lunge it was a kick. However there is no rule which says you have to win the ball and not touch the player. It’s the inside of his foot that ‘kicks’ Barisic on the follow through, studs are already well beyond the player and he actually slows down before going into the tackle.

Frankhfc
20-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Never a red. Clearly played the ball. His feet weren't dangerously up off the ground and the studs weren't showing. See much worse challenges all the time without the drama or cards being reached for. Won the ball fairly and cleanly.

Frazerbob
20-12-2019, 09:25 PM
Appeal? It’s a stonewall red. Don’t want him playing v hearts anyway. Too much of a liability.

Never a red in my opinion and reading this thread, I’m far from the only one who thinks that. He’s our best centre half and if an appeal frees him to play, we should appeal.

Sammy7nil
20-12-2019, 09:26 PM
What I saw was a perfectly timed and fair tackle.

I am left wondering what it was that made the Rangers player slump to the ground apparently beyond any hope of ever walking again never mind playing football, or indeed what made Chris Sutton believe that the Rangers player had been hit half way up his shin.

Watch BT he clearly kicks him on the shin absolutely No doubt in my mind and the freeze frame shows his boot in contact with shin.

Kaff
20-12-2019, 09:31 PM
He seen the chance to take the ball and player at once and took it. It was aggressive but I don't think worth a red (not seen a replay).

There's one angle that BT did show a couple of times and made the tackle look clean although aggressive, obviously.
However the angles they have been showing continously have been more like the twitter one above and make it look more reckless, which has suited their narrative of course.
I want to see this one again but I do agree that when you're 3-0 down it's a ridiculous challenge to make and if I'm honest Ryan should be dropped for it, regardless of any appeal etc, given Daz is fit. He has to learn that physically hurting opponents gains you very little these days even though we may cheer it from the stands, a ban might possibly help him but tbh I think strong management is needed, Jordan Forster was mentioned earlier and thats a great example for him as he injured himself with challenges like that and didn't do his career any good long term.

Dolce7
20-12-2019, 09:33 PM
If he carries on like that it’s a matter of time until he ends an opponent’s career
as much as I like to defend our own players this is indefensible

Stuart93
20-12-2019, 09:34 PM
I’m no too sure it was a red but there’s absolutely no need for him to even give the referee a decision to make in that position.

Tomsk
20-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Watch BT he clearly kicks him on the shin absolutely No doubt in my mind and the freeze frame shows his boot in contact with shin.

Sorry, chap. You and I are never going to get any closer on this one. I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. I don't think it's even a foul.

hibee
20-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Good tackle, very clearly won all of the ball and barely touched the other player, don’t know why he was lying on the ground for so long, we have to appeal.

Greenbeard
20-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Red for me 'cos the end result was that he did endanger the player but I am all for Porto continuing to make robust challenges even if some of them end up tipping to the wrong side of the laws. We desperately need someone with a reputation who will put the willies up the opposition attackers.

Smartie
20-12-2019, 09:37 PM
It was a great tackle.

20 years ago.

Today, it’s as clear a red card as you’re likely to see. He knew exactly what he was doing and he was never going to get away with it.

Silly, silly boy.

I don’t know how much of a disaster it is that he’s suspended for Hearts as he’s got that daft kind of challenge in him and I’d rather he was sent off in a game that’s lost than in a huge game that is hanging in the balance.

Daz stills gives us the aggression but a wee bit less rashness.

We’ll miss Porto in the Hearts box as much as anywhere.

Hibs90
20-12-2019, 09:39 PM
Just watched it back.

Never in a million years is that a red card. It's actually a great tackle.

Games gone.

LaMotta
20-12-2019, 09:40 PM
They both should have been sending offs too though.

Agreed mate...think they were far worse though!

Hiber-nation
20-12-2019, 09:42 PM
The main point is that he didn't need to do it. There was absolutely no need whatsoever. Really stupid challenge and hopefully that's him learned his lesson now.

LaMotta
20-12-2019, 09:43 PM
This thread is proof that Var is a waste of time.

Some decisions are just not black and white.

Hibs90
20-12-2019, 09:45 PM
The main point is that he didn't need to do it. There was absolutely no need whatsoever. Really stupid challenge and hopefully that's him learned his lesson now.

Nothing stupid about it, he won the ball and took the man. Tremendous tackle.

Hiber-nation
20-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Nothing stupid about it, he won the ball and took the man. Tremendous tackle.

30 years ago.

Mind you that hearts player was right, Scott Brown gets away with these tackles.

Brooster
20-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Not even close to being a red card. Barely a foul.

SeanWilson
20-12-2019, 09:50 PM
How on earth is that a red? He's clumsy in his execution but it's a ball winning (not even hard) challenge.

Alfred E Newman
20-12-2019, 09:51 PM
It looks similar to Darren McGregor's tackle at Tynie last season which wasn't even given as a foul.

SquashedFrogg
20-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Not even close to being a red card. Barely a foul.

I'm honestly at a loss as to why people can't see this.

500miles
20-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Not a red card. Not a foul. Goes right through the ball, not over it, goes across the player, not into him. It's a physical game, and intimidation is a legitimate part of it.

hibbysam
20-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Ref gave a throw in until it kicked off, then couldn’t get to his top pocket quick enough. After failing to book Barisic for booting Boyle in the air first half and then booking every hibs foul it was hardly surprising.

supermcginn
20-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Just seen it again. Absolute joke of a decision.

1875godsgift
20-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Can view it here.

Can't see anything wrong with that to be honest.

The 90+2
20-12-2019, 09:56 PM
Agreed mate...think they were far worse though!

Yeah, me too. That wee prick on McGinn still annoys me.

we are hibs
Anyone seriously claiming thats a red is either at it or knows absolutely nothing about football.

Sent off for winning the ball. A farce

Brightside
A round of applause is mental. Stupid tackle.

Frankhfc
20-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Can't see anything wrong with that to be honest.

:top marks

MrRobot
20-12-2019, 09:58 PM

yep cause a challenge where you win the ball is as good as assault. **** me man.

Rumble de Thump
20-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Not even close to be being a foul. The immediate aggressive reaction from the Sevco bench was cringeworthy.

Scouse Hibee
20-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Didn’t think it was worthy of a red card at the game, now that I’ve seen it again I realise it was, no doubt about it

SideBurns
20-12-2019, 10:11 PM
In my opinion, there is no such thing as an illegal challenge on a Hun. However, I appreciate that isn't relevant when analysing the situation within the laws of Association Football.

But if I'd made that tackle, I could die happy.

Sir David Gray
20-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Never a red card in a million years, awful decision and Barisic is a cheating *******.

Sir David Gray
20-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Didn’t think it was worthy of a red card at the game, now that I’ve seen it again I realise it was, no doubt about it

I'm the opposite, I thought it may have been at the time but I've seen replays and it's never a sending off in my opinion.

If that's a sending off offence then the game's a bogey.

hibs4life
20-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Whether you think it was a red or not, I think the key point is that Ryan has previous with excessive force in tackles. Lennon called him out for a similar challenge against Rangers previously and said he needed to curb that side of his game. He gave the ref a decision to make tonight and at the very least it could be viewed as reckless with that follow through.
He doesn't seem to be learning and his development appears to be stalling at the moment. He could be a top defender and hopefully the penny will start to drop now...

Foritza
20-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Didn’t think it was worthy of a red card at the game, now that I’ve seen it again I realise it was, no doubt about it I am the opposite , saw it from the FF stand and it looked really bad , saw the video replays and to be honest think he won the ball with a profesional tackle. That was meant to win the ball and leave a foot in. If only more of our pedestrian midfield could show that aggression. We would not be in this predicment.

Franck Stanton
20-12-2019, 11:03 PM

Appeal it, he plays on boxing day. Don't win appeal & he misses game v Livi or Hamilton.

Chorley Hibee
20-12-2019, 11:11 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/hibs-boss-wont-hang-ryan-porteous-out-dry-1347244

Can't see us appealing it if Ross feels it was a red card.

Definitely wasn't a red card imo.

matty_f
20-12-2019, 11:11 PM
I’ve seen it several times and I actually don’t think it’s a red now either. He’s gone in fast and won the ball, where’s he meant to go in the aftermath of winning the ball? He can’t disappear. His follow through wasn’t studs up or high. No chance we win any appeal though, obviously.
Same here. And the Rangers player makes an absolute meal of it, as he does whenever he's tackled.

CB_NO3
20-12-2019, 11:20 PM
Defo red card in the modern game. Saying that Jack Ross has made a fool of himself admitting it. Defo worth an appeal.

Kaff
20-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Defo red card in the modern game. Saying that Jack Ross has made a fool of himself admitting it. Defo worth an appeal.

Imo
Should be dropping Porto for the stupidity of the challenge, don't do it publicly of course so accepting the sending off could be part of that since challenging it could increase any ban.
He has to learn that there was nothing to gain with that challenge and refs will mark him out as a loose cannon if he puts in these tackles so they absolutely have to be worth something. As much as maiming a hun is great fun ultimately what has been gained?
He's a great prospect but looks like he needs strong management, hopefully will learn from this and manager will be key to that I'm sure

MacGruber
20-12-2019, 11:52 PM
Never thought it was a red at the time. Having seen it back I'm more bemused. Never a red, never a yellow, never a foul. I would even be claiming the throw in. Wins the ball, wins it cleanly, foot low, studs not showing. Are all 50/50 challenges either going to be a red or do you go in soft. Maybe change it to touch football.
Pathetic decision. People say Porteous needs to learn - here's tonights lesson:- don't tackle. If you don't win the ball it's a foul, if you do it's a red. Stand up and jockey, worst case scenario tippy tappy tackle whilst apologising for getting in the way

CL0762
20-12-2019, 11:57 PM
The tackle he made on Coulibaly last season (might’ve been December game) was worse than that one tonight - he got a yellow for that one.

That challenge tonight was never ever a red card.

Lunatic
21-12-2019, 12:16 AM
I don't understand. Am I seeing a different challenge to other people? He CLEARLY wins the ball.
Not a foul.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 12:21 AM
If that was Morellos or any other Rangers player on one of our lads or Naismith or any Hearts player on us then we'd be screaming for a red too and if it never came then there'd be a thread on here about why it wasn't a red card. Take off the green tinted specs. Its a stonewall red.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 12:22 AM
I don't understand. Am I seeing a different challenge to other people? He CLEARLY wins the ball.
Not a foul.

Theres been loads of tackles in football where the ball has been won but still resulted in a red card. Winning the ball doesn't mean it isn't a foul or a yellow or red card.

The 90+2
21-12-2019, 12:25 AM
If that was Morellos or any other Rangers player on one of our lads or Naismith or any Hearts player on us then we'd be screaming for a red too and if it never came then there'd be a thread on here about why it wasn't a red card. Take off the green tinted specs. Its a stonewall red.

Like Cochrane over McGinn that should have resulted in a repercussion 3 game bam or like Ian Black in the Scottish Cup on LG. Or like Brellier on Brown or many others that they ****s usually get away with.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2019, 12:27 AM
https://twitter.com/bbcsportscot/status/1208165296214806529

Ozyhibby
21-12-2019, 12:31 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191221/3cafd3fcdf488f92d5681bd9e4fd9685.jpg

Sending off everyday of the week. Leg straight, High, stud up and in no way control of his body. He’s flying through the air.[emoji23]

The 90+2
21-12-2019, 12:32 AM

Sending off everyday of the week. Leg straight, High, stud up and in no way control of his body. He’s flying through the air.[emoji23]

He will be a very lucky boy to not get banned for more games.

basehibby
21-12-2019, 12:35 AM
It's not even a foul for me - Porteous is first to the ball by a mile. He puts his weight behind the tackle as he's entitled to and Barichek stupidly puts himself in the way when he has no chance of winning the ball.

Absolutely ridiculous sending off - should be appealed.

Vault Boy
21-12-2019, 12:36 AM

Okay yep, hands up - this settles it. No doubt a red. I couldn't see this from the angles during the game.

Ozyhibby
21-12-2019, 12:38 AM
Looking on twitter for a neutral who didn’t think it was a sending off and couldn’t even find a Celtic fan who thought it wasn’t a red.
Just a small minority in here who can’t see past their green tinted specs.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 12:39 AM
Looking on twitter for a neutral who didn’t think it was a sending off and couldn’t even find a Celtic fan who thought it wasn’t a red.

:agree:, Both feet off the ground, excessive force, catches the boy on the shin with straight leg. That was a leg breaker. Rightly shown a red.

The 90+2
21-12-2019, 12:42 AM
:agree:, Both feet off the ground, excessive force, catches the boy on the shin with straight leg. That was a leg breaker. Rightly shown a red.

Still nowhere near as bad as Cochrane on McGinn, Black on Leigh or Ricksen on Riordan, Brellier on Brown...

Kaff
21-12-2019, 12:44 AM
Honestly think there was one BT camera angle that made it look like a clean fair challenge, it will come out soon hopefully!
Still think a stupid challenge to make and deserves to get a kick up the backside

I'm 100% technophobe so don't wait for me to dig it out! *

madhibby70
21-12-2019, 01:02 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/50875379

pause on 31 secs not even a foul. wins ball before rangers player one footed.

davym7062
21-12-2019, 01:15 AM

he wins the ball yellow at most! appeal it and hes available for boxing day

matty_f
21-12-2019, 01:27 AM

Really disappointing how few Hibs players ran in to help Porteous when all the rangers players were getting at him.

Wouldn't have been allowed to do that when McGinn, McGregor, and Sit David Gray were playing, they'd have been right in there for their teammate.

franck sauzee
21-12-2019, 01:39 AM
Thought it was a red card initially. But watching it back I now don't think it is. Hard yes but his studs are down, he wins the ball and I think Barisic pulling out the challenge and making a weird run towards the ball make it look worse than it was

Bishop Hibee
21-12-2019, 01:39 AM
Stonewall red card. 20 years ago it would have been a great tackle but not now. Porteous needs to mature. Everyone hates those bluenoses but the answer football wise is to beat them not kick them.

The Pointer
21-12-2019, 01:44 AM
Just watched that and in my opinion never a sending off. Hard tackle, aye, but it was a good one. Gets the ball, Hun coups over as a result, roly-poly time. Trouble is, everyone makes a meal of that kind of thing nowadays. Wets the lot of them.

1875godsgift
21-12-2019, 01:50 AM

Really disappointing how few Hibs players ran in to help Porteous when all the rangers players were getting at him.

Wouldn't have been allowed to do that when McGinn, McGregor, and Sit David Gray were playing, they'd have been right in there for their teammate.

Thing is, 4 or 5 of them were on yellow cards already.....

Hibeesmad
21-12-2019, 01:53 AM
He won the ball then left a high foot into the rangers player. It's debatable but a red card could be justified.

FilipinoHibs
21-12-2019, 02:18 AM
Good to have the experienced heads of McGreggor and Hanlon. Pitch is small at Tinycastle so Mcgreggor wont be too exposed

Hibeesmad
21-12-2019, 02:21 AM
Good to have the experienced heads of McGreggor and Hanlon. Pitch is small at Tinycastle so Mcgreggor wont be too exposed

Gray, McGregor, Jackson, Stevenson would be my back four.

marinello59
21-12-2019, 02:57 AM
Not a foul.

It’s amazing how many football fans still think it can’t be a foul of any sort if you win the ball. It doesn’t matter that he won the ball.

CMurdoch
21-12-2019, 03:13 AM

Maybe it was a punishment from the remaining 10 for Porteous choice for them to play without him for the last third of the match.
Seriously, he didn't look to be in any great danger. A few rough words and a wee jostle. Suspect the big eejit will survive.

Heisenberg
21-12-2019, 05:19 AM
He won the ball then left a high foot into the rangers player. It's debatable but a red card could be justified.

The still image posted above is misleading. His foot is high but it doesn’t actually catch the Rangers player. There’s no chance we win an appeal and I can see why it was a red card though.

He’s got to learn that as much as it’s good to see a player committed and winning tackles, he can stay on his feet. To fly into that tackle last night made absolutely no sense.

Gloucester Hibs
21-12-2019, 05:30 AM
Okay yep, hands up - this settles it. No doubt a red. I couldn't see this from the angles during the game.

I agree, he’s out of control in that photo. Didn’t need to be as the ball was maybe 90/10 there to be won in his favour.

J-C
21-12-2019, 05:40 AM

Better angle on 1.04 from behind the goals and it clearly a good solid challenge winning the ball 1st, Rangers player makes a meal of it.

LaMotta
21-12-2019, 05:53 AM

To be fair after a quick look ive seen tweets from Motherwell fans, Hearts fans and Celtic fans all saying it was never a red, so dont think its just green tinted specs mate.

Honestly dont think its that bad a challenge, but its defo an opinion divider.

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2019, 06:05 AM
Did not think it a red at the time and the BBC footage confirms it Porto gets to the ball first and wins it and as others have said The Rangers player rides the tackle

Porto appears to be a target for Refs due to his robust style of play

I would be interested to see any damage to The Rangers players leg as he did not seem to require lengthy treatment

No need for the flying obstacles coming from the East though. :confused:

Fuzzywuzzy
21-12-2019, 06:15 AM
Don't think it was a red, he won the ball. Robust aye and thank ****. Not enough players in the team put a tackle in and are too willing to stand off the player. You look at the rangers last night. When we had the ball, they had three players shutting us down while we stood off

500miles
21-12-2019, 06:20 AM
Porto sweeps the ball away, through the player who pretended to be injured. It's a great tackle. Doesn't matter about still photos,the action replay showing where contact was made shows he adjusted his feet and swept through the ball. We better appeal it.

BILLYHIBS
21-12-2019, 06:22 AM
Don't think it was a red, he won the ball. Robust aye and thank ****. Not enough players in the team put a tackle in and are too willing to stand off the player. You look at the rangers last night. When we had the ball, they had three players shutting us down while we stood off

Was that yon high press thing Hecky promised us?

:greengrin

LaMotta
21-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Porto sweeps the ball away, through the player who pretended to be injured. It's a great tackle. Doesn't matter about still photos,the action replay showing where contact was made shows he adjusted his feet and swept through the ball. We better appeal it.

The still photo doesnt tell us anything.

The problem Porteous has is the reputation he's built for himself. I think if any other Hibs player makes that tackle then the ref doesnt show a red.

Greenbeard
21-12-2019, 06:28 AM
All the Rangers bench should have been red carded, SG included, for their overly aggressive reaction directed at the Hibs bench which incited the Hun crowd and endangered every Hibs fan in and around the stadium, all these sub-intelligent huns thinking it's acceptable to go pure raging mental right in the face of anything wearing green. Got to laugh when folk like that get even more aggressive once others are in place "to hold them back" i.e. to protect them from getting a slap.
SG et al to note:
1. Raging at the Hibs bench is pointless. It wisnae them that made the tackle.
2. Do you think you going radge will get JR to apologise and tell his players to back out of every future 50/50?
2. Do you think the No.4 is going to get on his radio to the ref and say " these Rangers chappies are very angry about that tackle ref. Better send the Hibs player off and let them get away wih a few."
ABSOLUTE FANNIES.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 06:45 AM
All the Rangers bench should have been red carded, SG included, for their overly aggressive reaction directed at the Hibs bench which incited the Hun crowd and endangered every Hibs fan in and around the stadium, all these sub-intelligent huns thinking it's acceptable to go pure raging mental right in the face of anything wearing green. Got to laugh when folk like that get even more aggressive once others are in place "to hold them back" i.e. to protect them from getting a slap.
SG et al to note:
1. Raging at the Hibs bench is pointless. It wisnae them that made the tackle.
2. Do you think you going radge will get JR to apologise and tell his players to back out of every future 50/50?
2. Do you think the No.4 is going to get on his radio to the ref and say " these Rangers chappies are very angry about that tackle ref. Better send the Hibs player off and let them get away wih a few."
ABSOLUTE FANNIES.

Is that a joke mate? Utter nonsense.

Allant1981
21-12-2019, 06:59 AM

He didnt catch him though, the replays clearly show he didnt make contact with him,a still of something happening is always going to look worse

MWHIBBIES
21-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Not a foul.

That does not matter. His excessive force and dangerous and totally needless follow through is the problem.

He honestly didn't even need to go to ground. Was just trying to smash the guy and show off as a hard man. Really he's just a bit of a tit who is again out of a massive game.

Didn't learn enough from Ambrose. He would've strolled out without a spec of dirt on him and started an attack.

McSwanky
21-12-2019, 07:10 AM
I have a bit of a problem with what he did TBH. It wasn't even a 50/50, the ball was pretty much under his control and the Rangers player wasn't really making any effort to win it. Despite this, he decided to slide in with a needlessly high flow through which looked awfully like he intended to do some damage.

Whether he did or not we'll never know, but I don't think he can have too many complaints with the red card.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 07:13 AM

My brother received a text right after it from a Hearts supporting mate who said it was never a red card.

danhibees1875
21-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Better angle on 1.04 from behind the goals and it clearly a good solid challenge winning the ball 1st, Rangers player makes a meal of it.

:agree: the angle with Naismith in the foreground. He comes in from the side and wins the ball as cleanly as you can.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 07:16 AM
My brother received a text right after it from a Hearts supporting mate who said it was never a red card.

His opinion would be different if that was a Hibs player on a Hearts player I'm sure.

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 07:58 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/hibs-boss-wont-hang-ryan-porteous-out-dry-1347244

Can't see us appealing it if Ross feels it was a red card.

Definitely wasn't a red card imo.

Absolutely stupid and its heckingbottom at killie all over again. That wasnt a red card either but zero chance of us appealing or winning an appeal now hes said that.

Posting still images 😂 honestly i could pause any non red tackle at a certain point and claim someones studs are too high and that it shouldve been a red. Fact is he won the ball and it shouldnt have been a red. What chance have hibs got when our own fans are constantly trying to throw our own players and fans under the bus so many times? Feels like some people get enjoyement out of it tbh. (Not you)

Letting that wee rat ryan jack get in the referees ear constantly. Hes a little prick, everytime something happens hes either at the ref or opposition trying to be a pretend hard man. Sadly for him hes an Aldi Scott Brown.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Absolutely stupid and its heckingbottom at killie all over again. That wasnt a red card either but zero chance of us appealing or winning an appeal now hes said that.

Posting still images 😂 honestly i could pause any non red tackle at a certain point and claim someones studs are too high and that it shouldve been a red. Fact is he won the ball and it shouldnt have been a red. What chance have hibs got when our own fans are constantly trying to throw our own players and fans under the bus so many times? Feels like some people get enjoyement out of it tbh. (Not you)

Letting that wee rat ryan jack get in the referees ear constantly. Hes a little prick, everytime something happens hes either at the ref or opposition trying to be a pretend hard man. Sadly for him hes an Aldi Scott Brown.

He got away with shocker at Ross County as well where he put the boy in the stand. Slid in from miles away, a needless tackle. Very lucky not to see red and only got a yellow.

matty_f
21-12-2019, 08:07 AM
Thing is, 4 or 5 of them were on yellow cards already.....

That's a good shout actually. Did the ref book anyone else in the melee when Ryan was sent off?

B.H.F.C
21-12-2019, 08:09 AM
He got away with shocker at Ross County as well where he put the boy in the stand. Slid in from miles away, a needless tackle. Very lucky not to see red and only got a yellow.

I know the one you’re talking about. He actually tried to pull out of it, it was a misjudgement. Wasn’t lucky to stay on the park for that, at all.

Last night he just wanted to ‘do’ Barasic. I think it’s a good tackle but you’re no getting away with it these days (unless you’re Scott Brown or Ryan Jack) so you shouldn’t do it.

Allant1981
21-12-2019, 08:13 AM
That's a good shout actually. Did the ref book anyone else in the melee when Ryan was sent off?

Horgan and one of the rangers defenders were booked

MacGruber
21-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Freeze frames are pointless and give no context. Look at the footage, especially last view from behind Naismith. It's not high. It's not over the ball. It's a great tackle. It is not a red card, it's not a foul. I'll concede it was probably a Rangers throw though. Also Ryan needs to be careful, if he goes in that hard in the tackle and misses the ball he runs the risk of a red. Didn't miss the ball at all there but did get conned by the Rangers player pretending to be injured when he wasn't caught

Sir David Gray
21-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Goldson was booked for them.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Posting still images 😂 honestly i could pause any non red tackle at a certain point and claim someones studs are too high and that it shouldve been a red. Fact is he won the ball and it shouldnt have been a red. What chance have hibs got when our own fans are constantly trying to throw our own players and fans under the bus so many times? Feels like some people get enjoyement

If anyone thinks we would win an appeal after looking at that still image they need to seek help. Ryan may well have touched the ball however he is high and off the ground on his follow through. He looks like he intentionally wanted to hurt the Rangers player. Not a hope in hell of winning any appeal. IMHO of course.

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 08:25 AM
Posting still images �� honestly i could pause any non red tackle at a certain point and claim someones studs are too high and that it shouldve been a red. Fact is he won the ball and it shouldnt have been a red. What chance have hibs got when our own fans are constantly trying to throw our own players and fans under the bus so many times? Feels like some people get enjoyement

If anyone thinks we would win an appeal after looking at that still image they need to seek help. Ryan may well have touched the ball however he is high and off the ground on his follow through. He looks like he intentionally wanted to hurt the Rangers player. Not a hope in hell of winning any appeal. IMHO of course.

Anyone who thinks an appeal is judged on a still image needs help. Its all irrelevant now anyway. We wont appeal because jack ross has already chucked any chance we had away

MacGruber
21-12-2019, 08:25 AM
People say if it was on a hibs player you expect red. No chance. I watch it and think they got the ball. I jumped out my seat when Brandon Barker was about through on goal at Tynecastle only to be pole axed by John Souttar. Souttar went in like a train and absolutely clattered Barker. Then the replay comes up and Souttar clearly won the ball, I sat down, good challenge unfortunately. The pace Souttar was going at was always going to take him into Barker, probably injure him. It was fair though. If catching a player with a follow through after winning the ball is a red games will finish there would be red cards all over the place.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Its also a ***** first touch that puts Ryan in trouble forcing him to make the tackle.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 08:33 AM
Anyone who thinks an appeal is judged on a still image needs help. Its all irrelevant now anyway. We wont appeal because jack ross has already chucked any chance we had away

JR chucked it away because however you look at it it's a red.

Allant1981
21-12-2019, 08:33 AM
People say if it was on a hibs player you expect red. No chance. I watch it and think they got the ball. I jumped out my seat when Brandon Barker was about through on goal at Tynecastle only to be pole axed by John Souttar. Souttar went in like a train and absolutely clattered Barker. Then the replay comes up and Souttar clearly won the ball, I sat down, good challenge unfortunately. The pace Souttar was going at was always going to take him into Barker, probably injure him. It was fair though. If catching a player with a follow through after winning the ball is a red games will finish there would be red cards all over the place.

Nah, dont you know if you look at the still of the incident it will prove that porteous went out to injure the boy and it was quite rightly a red

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 08:35 AM
JR chucked it away because however you look at it it's a red.

I mean its clearly not but OK.

500miles
21-12-2019, 08:37 AM
I'd like to know which part of the tackle is dangerous. He doesn't fly into it at 100mph, he actually slows down, it's not into the player's ankle or knee, he makes contact with the ball on the deck. It's not a stamp that traps the players standing leg , which is how you see the majority of horror injuries.

So its not reckless, because he slows down to make clean contact with the ball, it's not dangerous, because he doesn't trap the players leg or kick the knee or ankle. Because of these, it's not even a booking, and because he gets the ball first, its NOT EVEN FOUL. This isn't about opinions, if you break the challenge down into its component parts, its black and white.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 08:44 AM
I'd like to know which part of the tackle is dangerous. He doesn't fly into it at 100mph, he actually slows down, it's not into the player's ankle or knee, he makes contact with the ball on the deck. It's not a stamp that traps the players standing leg , which is how you see the majority of horror injuries.

So its not reckless, because he slows down to make clean contact with the ball, it's not dangerous, because he doesn't trap the players leg or kick the knee or ankle. Because of these, it's not even a booking, and because he gets the ball first, its NOT EVEN FOUL. This isn't about opinions, if you break the challenge down into its component parts, its black and white.

If he makes contact with the ball on the deck why is his boot on the players shin when he is off the ground. For me the reason is he intentionally went through to make sure he caught the player.

Pretty Boy
21-12-2019, 08:44 AM
He's off the ground, straight leg, there's a scissor motion and he wasn't in control.

Playing the ball is irrelevant, there's nothing in the rules that states if you play the ball that it can't be a foul. Equally how much contact there was is largely irrelevant, there was clear intent to be far more forceful than was necessary, had he caught the Rangers players standing leg with that force it was a very serious injury. The guy done well to jump out of it. My reaction in real time was 'that's a red' and nothing I have seen since has changed my mind. As someone has said above I can't find a single neutral who disagrees with the decision; the only people calling it as anything other than a red are Hibs fans.

I'll defend Hibs players when they deserve it but that was needlessly stupid last night and left us open to an even heavier defeat. 20 or 30 years ago you might have got away with that tackle, 'letting him know your there'. In todays games that's a red and has been for years now.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 08:46 AM
I mean its clearly not but OK.

:nerd::wink: we will agree to disagree.

hibbysam
21-12-2019, 08:49 AM
He's off the ground, straight leg, there's a scissor motion and he wasn't in control.

Playing the ball is irrelevant, there's nothing in the rules that states if you play the ball that it can't be a foul. Equally how much contact there was is largely irrelevant, there was clear intent to be far more forceful than was necessary, had he caught the Rangers players standing leg with that force it was a very serious injury. The guy done well to jump out of it. My reaction in real time was 'that's a red' and nothing I have seen since has changed my mind. As someone has said above I can't find a single neutral who disagrees with the decision; the only people calling it as anything other than a red are Hibs fans.

I'll defend Hibs players when they deserve it but that was needlessly stupid last night and left us open to an even heavier defeat. 20 or 30 years ago you might have got away with that tackle, 'letting him know your there'. In todays games that's a red and has been for years now.

You mention rules, then mention ‘straight leg’, he doesn’t ‘scissor’ the boy, his back leg’s knee is at 90 degrees, unless it’s a broken pair of scissors. He plays the ball on the ground, natural reaction of the leg is to kick up the way, he kicks the rangers players shin with his calf on the follow through, there isn’t a problem with that as every tackle there is contact shin on shin.

hfc-1875
21-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Sending off all day long. Porto is overrated imo and is too rash. Needs to grow up, a liability. First touch is a tackle.

Allant1981
21-12-2019, 08:52 AM
You mention rules, then mention ‘straight leg’, he doesn’t ‘scissor’ the boy, his back leg’s knee is at 90 degrees, unless it’s a broken pair of scissors. He plays the ball on the ground, natural reaction of the leg is to kick up the way, he kicks the rangers players shin with his calf on the follow through, there isn’t a problem with that as every tackle there is contact shin on shin.

Exactly, his right leg is almost behind him and his other leg is always going to shift direction after playing the ball, all of the ball

LaMotta
21-12-2019, 08:55 AM

You aint looking hard enough then because there are neutral fans of St Mirren, Sunderland, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Motherwell, and Hearts across Twitter saying it shouldn't have been a red.

This is not a green tinted specs thing - fans of all clubs (except huns) just see it differently and its the kind of decision that is open to interpretation.

500miles
21-12-2019, 08:56 AM
If he makes contact with the ball on the deck why is his boot on the players shin when he is off the ground. For me the reason is he intentionally went through to make sure he caught the player.

The ball was on the deck when both players made contact with it. Ryan's boot was always going to slide over the top after impact because there's no space under the ball.

Even if he's trying to intimidate, you're not going to break a leg by kicking across the shin pad, its not dangerous

neil7908
21-12-2019, 08:58 AM
He went in very hard but he got the ball - not a red card.

Have to say though, Ryan's tackling style will always get him into trouble. If he is going to be a top defender he needs to reign that in big time.

ED Hibee
21-12-2019, 09:02 AM
I can see why he was given a red but I personally don’t think it was. The biggest issue I have is the inconsistency. You can guarantee that there will be a similar challenge in the next old firm, it won’t even get a booking and all the pundits will be lauding the challenge as a full blooded challenge that’s part of the character of the game.

If Barasic’s challenge in the first half wasn’t worthy of even a yellow then I am not sure Porteous should have been given a red.

Carheenlea
21-12-2019, 09:02 AM
This is a classic example of the rules of football being based largely on matter of opinion and interpretation. Hibs fans both who watching live and watching replays and freeze frames are taking polar views on how they interpret it. and the debate is still raging on hours after the game.

VAR would not provide a satisfactory outcome in this instance.

LaMotta
21-12-2019, 09:03 AM
This is a classic example of the rules of football being based largely on matter of opinion and interpretation. Hibs fans both who watching live and watching replays and freeze frames are taking polar views on how they interpret it.

truehibernian
21-12-2019, 09:05 AM
I personally thought, and still do, that it's a great tackle and ball is won cleanly and fairly. Porto makes contact with the whole ball, not over the top or scuffing it - just so happens the Rangers player anticipates the challenge and jumps. Worth an appeal for me :aok:

Greenio
21-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Watched it live and on replay. Green tinted specs off, he was unlucky to get a red for that. Regardless, the guy needs to work on that part of his game as he's too valuable to us to sin bin himself every few months

FilipinoHibs
21-12-2019, 09:07 AM
He went in very hard but he got the ball - not a red card.

Have to say though, Ryan's tackling style will always get him into trouble. If he is going to be a top defender he will needs to reign that in big time.

Getting the ball does not under the rules exclude you from an infringement which can be up to a red. But I thought he lost control and lunged with a lot of force to get the ball. At contact with the ball his studs were low. The Rangers' player jumped over him. The tackle was slightly from the side but the Rangers' player did not have the ball or was not running with it. Even a yellow would have been harsh. Maybe a blessing he won't be at Tinycastle with the red hot atmosphere of a derby.

hibee_girl
21-12-2019, 09:09 AM
I personally thought, and still do, that it's a great tackle and ball is won cleanly and fairly. Porto makes contact with the whole ball, not over the top or scuffing it - just so happens the Rangers player anticipates the challenge and jumps. Worth an appeal for me :aok:

I’d agree with that.

hibee-boys
21-12-2019, 09:10 AM
He had the time to win the challenge and not follow through on the man, you could see it comimg. His clear intention was to take out the man as well as the ball, we can debate this all day long but you just won't get away with that these days. 'Got the ball first'...'no contact' etc, doesn't mean a jot. Flying into a tackle with studs up will get you sent off everytime, if this had been a rangers player this place would be in meltdown. Ryan has to better channel his anger/frustration, not first time he's let his team mates down for no reason, the guy was going nowhere.

LaMotta
21-12-2019, 09:16 AM
He had the time to win the challenge and not follow through on the man, you could see it comimg. His clear intention was to take out the man as well as the ball, we can debate this all day long but you just won't get away with that these days. 'Got the ball first'...'no contact' etc, doesn't mean a jot. Flying into a tackle with studs up will get you sent off everytime, if this had been a rangers player this place would be in meltdown. Ryan has to better channel his anger/frustration, not first time he's let his team mates down for no reason, the guy was going nowhere.

That's not true though, ask Stevie May and Harry Cochrane after challenges on Boyle and McGinn at Easter Road.

Plenty more examples. Bartley and McGregor in the two games at Tynecastle last season got yellows for worse tackles than Porto's last night.

Allant1981
21-12-2019, 09:16 AM

If he went into the tackle with his studs up you might have a case but he didnt, watch the tackle again, his foot is barely off the deck until he hits the ball

Eaststand
21-12-2019, 09:32 AM

This is it for me too.
Tackling is an important part of the game, some tackles are harder than others, thats the nature of things.
The Huns and Hoops players seem to think they should never be tackled and when they are, they often go down as if they'd been hit by a sniper bullet.

Sadly, our Refs often fall for it too.

Porteous tackle was robust, but fair and we should def appeal his red card.

GGTTH

JimBHibees
21-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Red card for the follow through I am afraid silly tackle.

Since452
21-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Nah the intention was there. Liability for Tynie anyway, blessing in disguise.

Correct. Been saying for weeks he needs to give himself a shake. If he was a Heckingbottom signing he'd be getting pelters. Bailed out at least once every game

Deansy
21-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Never a red - Porteous clearly got the ball but the Hun and his fellow Hun-S*um on the bench demanded a red and they must be obeyed !

mcohibs
21-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Slowed down so he could put in a hard man tackle instead of winning the ball easily with no follow through necessary. Laddie needs to grow up.

paddy1875
21-12-2019, 09:55 AM
He’s struggled since efe left. Maybe needs rested

jakedance
21-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Totally agree with this. Porto was needlessly aggressive for a ball the hun wasn’t competing for and invited the ref to send him off. He’s let his team down. Cracking player and he’ll learn to be more sensible in that kind of situation. You wouldn’t see a top centre half going in like that in that position.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 09:59 AM
This is a classic example of the rules of football being based largely on matter of opinion and interpretation. Hibs fans both who watching live and watching replays and freeze frames are taking polar views on how they interpret it. and the debate is still raging on hours after the game.

VAR would settle it the ref gets a few looks he makes his decision and everyone has to go along with it.

Green Badger
21-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Can someone tell me when the rules of football changed? That’s never a red card, won the ball cleanly and feet were low.

crash
21-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Can someone tell me when the rules of football changed? That’s never a red card, won the ball cleanly and feet were low.

Correct, never a straight red, for me its not even a free kick. Not an offence to show some aggression or put in a hard tackle. only got sent off due to the reaction of the Rangers bench.
The laddie has more courage than the rest of the softies combined, look at the commitment of his team mates if you want to point the finger.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 10:48 AM

They are tweaked and changed often this tackle was no
Longer allowed about ten years ago. :aok::greengrin

judas
21-12-2019, 11:27 AM
NEVER NEVER NEVER a sending off. Not even a foul or a card.

I’ve watched the footage several times.

Porto clearly takes the ball cleanly and doesn’t not show his studs or raise his foot.

The ball was also presented to Porto on his side of the Rangers player, so there is no question of him taking the ball from behind.

If we do not appeal this and allow it to be scrutinised in the rational environment of a calm office then we deserve nothing more than a suspended Porto.

pollution
21-12-2019, 11:31 AM
I normally don't comment on things like this but I have watched it time and again and it was a perfect tackle.

A hard and forceful one, clean and efficient: the Rangers player saw it coming and correctly jumped out of the way, notwithstanding over reaction.

I don't know why the Rangers bench went mad. Appeal asap.

To the younger readers this used to be called the perfect tackle.

Baader
21-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Watched it a number of times now and cannot see why that is a red. He wins the ball using the side of his foot and it's not two footed. It's a hard challenge but that's allowed. Just cannot see why that is a sending off.

jellybean
21-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Everyone on here will never agree, but for me Porto is a no nonsense player who played a hard tackle but he got the ball and imho it is never a sending off.
Slippy should take a long hard look at himself for his conduct last night. Total instigator but slinking away when the referee came over. Total disgrace.
The arrogance of this club is beyond belief.

Brightside
21-12-2019, 12:03 PM
If he went into the tackle with his studs up you might have a case but he didnt, watch the tackle again, his foot is barely off the deck until he hits the ball

It’s a reckless out of control tackle. Red card all day long. Crazy to think otherwise

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 12:11 PM
It’s a reckless out of control tackle. Red card all day long. Crazy to think otherwise

If hanlon made the tackle you would be proclaiming it as the best tackle in history

SeanWilson
21-12-2019, 12:12 PM

I just don't see how you can see it that way 🤣 if he doesn't t win the ball, it's a clumsy yellow for me. He does win the ball, with no real intent on the man IMO.

Hermit Crab
21-12-2019, 12:12 PM
If hanlon made the tackle you would be proclaiming it as the best tackle in history

:tee hee:

Brightside
21-12-2019, 12:16 PM

As he wouldnt have taken the player out....see Aberdeen game for example. The boy has lots to learn. :wink:

Allant1981
21-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Sorry but I cant agree, he was totally in control of what he was doing, he even slowed down before he slid in, if it was out of control it would have been full pelt into the boy, it wasnt, he won the ball then the guy jumped in the air making it look worse

Brightside
21-12-2019, 12:18 PM
People need to stop saying he got the ball so its not a foul..... thats not the rules.

SeanWilson
21-12-2019, 12:19 PM
People need to stop saying he got the ball so its not a foul..... thats not the rules.

Andy Robertson makes challenges like that every week (with no card) and is applauded as one of the best all round LBs in the world.

-Jonesy-
21-12-2019, 12:30 PM
I do t think it was a red but Porto’s reaction, or lack of, to getting sent off is telling

James70
21-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Gerrard quoted as saying he could tell from 100 yards away that it was a red card offence! So his eyesight is more accurate than VAR then. Without defending any of Hibs tackling that referee had it in for Hibs from the off. Tackle on Boyle didn't even merit a talking to.

Smartie
21-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Gerrard quoted as saying he could tell from 100 yards away that it was a red card offence! So his eyesight is more accurate than VAR then. Without defending any of Hibs tackling that referee had it in for Hibs from the off. Tackle on Boyle didn't even merit a talking to.

Sometimes you just know, and sometimes it is easier to make a call based on seeing it with your own eyes than with multiple replays.

That would have been a great, legal tackle not very long ago.

Since the rules changed to “excessive force” then it is a clear red.

I wonder if the Rangers player ducking out of the challenge made it worse? Porteous was expecting big impact and went in hard. When the player pulled out and Porteous still committed, it was the resultant follow through that was pretty vicious. Porteous wasn’t going to hold back under any circumstances.

Forever_Green93
21-12-2019, 01:27 PM

After watching that footage, it's defo not a red. If he was given a yellow then fair enough because that's more understandable.

Show's you how soft the modern game has become when that's deemed a red.

mcohibs
21-12-2019, 01:44 PM
After watching that footage, it's defo not a red. If he was given a yellow then fair enough because that's more understandable.

Show's you how soft the modern game has become when that's deemed a red.

It's a red card challenge. Reckless and unnecessary. Slows down purposely and knew exactly what he was doing.

As has been pointed out by other posters, you wouldn't see a top CB doing that. Needs to control his aggression for the sake of his career because he's a talented lad but quickly developing a reputation for recklessness. Not helped by posting images on his social media of him scything down opposition players by the way. Needs to screw the nut and I hope there's some of the more experienced players in the dressing room having a quiet word in his ear

matty_f
21-12-2019, 01:45 PM
The ref couldn't wait to get the card out. An approach he took all game with Hibs players.

calumhibee1
21-12-2019, 01:48 PM
The ref couldn't wait to get the card out. An approach he took all game with Hibs players.

He could wait. He even gave a throw in to begin with. Until the Rangers players told him it was a red so he was a good wee boy and done as he was told.

matty_f
21-12-2019, 01:50 PM
He could wait. He even gave a throw in to begin with. Until the Rangers players told him it was a red so he was a good wee boy and done as he was told.

😂 right enough! Was about the only one he hesitated for!

Feed McGraw
21-12-2019, 03:29 PM
He could wait. He even gave a throw in to begin with. Until the Rangers players told him it was a red so he was a good wee boy and done as he was told. Absolutely this, I`ve rarely seen it so obvious, as he sauntered over to the incident they were all screaming in his lugs and then he made up his mind - he certainly didn`t look like he`d made an instant decision until the pack surrounded him !

flash
21-12-2019, 04:48 PM
I thought it was a red card at the match. Having reviewed it on film it certainly isn't and I am surprised we aren't appealing.

Callum_62
21-12-2019, 05:04 PM
On Cosgroves red card

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191221/e247cef271029b8ecc8879221b55dd37.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Seen the aberdeen one and its almost the exact same as Porteous one. Neither are red cards.

LaMotta
21-12-2019, 06:39 PM
I thought it was a red card at the match. Having reviewed it on film it certainly isn't and I am surprised we aren't appealing.

Box 17
21-12-2019, 06:55 PM
The rule is there to try and prevent players going into challenges with excessive force and potentially causing serious injury. Whether or not they actually win the ball doesn't come into it.

LaMotta
21-12-2019, 07:03 PM
Seen the aberdeen one and its almost the exact same as Porteous one. Neither are red cards.

Interesting on Twitter having read reactions from fans of all teams across Scotland on the 2 tackles. There is a split opinion but no doubt that majority think both tackles were good and not worthy of reds.

Amazed so many on here think that last night's was red.

greenlex
21-12-2019, 07:12 PM
At what point does it change from robust to reckless. I’ll be honest I’d be pissed off if Hibs players were not as committed in their challenges as that. Games being ruined.

MWHIBBIES
21-12-2019, 07:24 PM
At what point does it change from robust to reckless. I’ll be honest I’d be pissed off if Hibs players were not as committed in their challenges as that. Games being ruined.

Would you be pissed off if a Hibs player was injured by a ridiculous over the top challenge like last night?

I don't want Hibs players to tackle like that, I'd rather they took proper first touches and started an attack. Ambrose would've nicked the ball and strolled out with it, not went ****ing flying in at 3-0 down with a vital game to come.

Hiber-nation
21-12-2019, 07:27 PM
Would you be pissed off if a Hibs player was injured by a ridiculous over the top challenge like last night?

I don't want Hibs players to tackle like that, I'd rather they took proper first touches and started an attack. Ambrose would've nicked the ball and strolled out with it, not went ****ing flying in at 3-0 down with a vital game to come.

Yep the main point is that there was no need whatsoever for him to make the challenge in that way and he knows it.

Folk on here are saying we need the players to get stuck in like that. Nonsense, it's discipline we need if we want to defend better.

greenlex
21-12-2019, 07:38 PM

If it was ridiculous and over the top of course I would. That was neither of these things. Whether he needed to make it is another matter but having committed to it there is in itself (in my opinion and possibly arguably within the rules of the game depending on someone’s interpretation) nothing wrong with it.

O'Rourke3
21-12-2019, 08:15 PM
Both Fatty McCoist on BT and Steven "Thomo" Thompson said the tackle was a carrer ender and was a deliberate attempt to hurt the opposition. Neither view was challlenged. At the game thought it was stupid tackle at the time with a red the only posibility. Now I ve seen ot again, cant see he makes ny contact with the Rangers player. Ref and appeal committe will use undue force.

Sammy7nil
21-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Having seen it live and tv slow mo, freezed frame etc and people defending it all I can say is I hope and I pray am never in front off a jury of my peers. It is a red end of.

lord bunberry
21-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Tell me the difference between Porto’s tackle and the tackle from Cosgrove today. The sheep manager is furious and he’s going to appeal the red card. I don’t know how old McIness is or whether his age is affecting his judgment, but for me the two tackles are the
same.
https://twitter.com/splbanter/status/1208457849644425218?s=21

Brightside
21-12-2019, 09:33 PM

Interesting on Twitter having read reactions from fans of all teams across Scotland on the 2 tackles. There is a split opinion but no doubt that majority think both tackles were good and not worthy of reds.

Amazed so many on here think that last night's was red.
It’s the rules of the game. Both are clear reds.

lord bunberry
21-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Why is McInnes so adamant that it wasn’t a red card then? Surely a top manager knows the rules.

we are hibs
21-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Both Fatty McCoist on BT and Steven "Thomo" Thompson said the tackle was a carrer ender and was a deliberate attempt to hurt the opposition. Neither view was challlenged. At the game thought it was stupid tackle at the time with a red the only posibility. Now I ve seen ot again, cant see he makes ny contact with the Rangers player. Ref and appeal committe will use undue force.

Well established that steven thompson is a complete gob***** tbf.

marinello59
21-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Why is McInnes so adamant that it wasn’t a red card then? Surely a top manager knows the rules.

Given his comments he either doesn’t or he is trying to deflect. I suspect the latter.

lord bunberry
21-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Given his comments he either doesn’t or he is trying to deflect. I suspect the latter.
Deflect from what though? His team lost today, but they put up a more than decent performance. I watched the game today and even when down to 10 men they were giving it a right good go.

marinello59
21-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Deflect from what though? His team lost today, but they put up a more than decent performance. I watched the game today and even when down to 10 men they were giving it a right good go.

His players guilt?
It doesn’t really matter though, Mcinnes was making up a new rule.

angus hibby
21-12-2019, 10:09 PM
If a Hearts player puts in a tackle like Porteous, every Hibs fan will want him sent off. He altered his run to make sure there would be a collision and saw the chance to go through the player. Looks to me as if he had it in his head to take everything - ball, then opponent.

Nowadays it’s a red card, and there was absolutely no need to make the challenge.

Aberdeen had two players sent off against us for something similar earlier in season.

hibbysam
21-12-2019, 10:11 PM
If a Hearts player puts in a tackle like Porteous, every Hibs fan will want him sent off. He altered his run to make sure there would be a collision and saw the chance to go through the player. Looks to me as if he had it in his head to take everything - ball, then opponent.

Nowadays it’s a red card, and there was absolutely no need to make the challenge.

Aberdeen had two players sent off against us for something similar earlier in season.

FYI it’s not a red card to go through an opponent.

Iggy Pope
21-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Laws, laws. The game has no rules.

angus hibby
21-12-2019, 10:17 PM
FYI it’s not a red card to go through an opponent.

It is if it’s done with excessive force and endangers the opponent. Porteous did both in his tackle.

hibbysam
21-12-2019, 10:21 PM
It is if it’s done with excessive force and endangers the opponent. Porteous did both in his tackle.

That’s not what you said though.

‘He altered his run to make sure there would be a collision and saw the chance to go through the player. Looks to me as if he had it in his head to take everything - ball, then opponent.’

Your allowed to go through the ball and the man. See some are saying excessive force, others are saying he slowed down to make sure there was contact... can’t be both! The endangering opponent nonsense is just that as well. Any tackle/collision/contact can endanger an opponent depending how they land/contact is made etc, accidentally elbowing someone is a yellow but is as dangerous as it gets, high feet likewise, none of which will be given as a red card.

LaMotta
22-12-2019, 01:30 AM

Ffs the rules (laws ) are open to interpretation. Some refs might have issued a red, some woudn't. And its quite likely that Cosgrove got the red today only because Porteous did last night. The ref at Celtic park feeling he had to follow suit.

Let's cut out the nonsense that they are clear reds though. The polarised opinions across social media prove they aren't clearly reds. I can see the argument for and against. So not clear reds.

LaMotta
22-12-2019, 01:34 AM

Yes of course all Hibs fans would want them sent off, but that doesn't mean everyone would think it was the correct decision.

If a Hearts player got sent off today for that challenge I would say it was harsh, just as some Hearts fans have said the same about the Porteous decision last night.

CMurdoch
22-12-2019, 02:07 AM
Tell me the difference between Porto’s tackle and the tackle from Cosgrove today. The sheep manager is furious and he’s going to appeal the red card. I don’t know how old McIness is or whether his age is affecting his judgment, but for me the two tackles are the
same.
https://twitter.com/splbanter/status/1208457849644425218?s=21

As per Porteous, reckless, red card. Pair of fools.
Managers and players will argue white is black if it benefits them.

Hibernia&Alba
22-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Having seen it live and tv slow mo, freezed frame etc and people defending it all I can say is I hope and I pray am never in front off a jury of my peers. It is a red end of.

Surely you would want a jury trial, as we would give you the benefit of the doubt and find you not guilty :greengrin

I still say it was a good tackle, but in the modern game I'm not surprised he was sent off.

Smartie
22-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Yes of course all Hibs fans would want them sent off, but that doesn't mean everyone would think it was the correct decision.

If a Hearts player got sent off today for that challenge I would say it was harsh, just as some Hearts fans have said the same about the Porteous decision last night.

Did Bartley not “get away” with a very similar one at Tynecastle last season?

Didn’t even look like a foul at the game, on replay it was exactly the same sort of challenge and interpreted differently by the referee.

Smartie
22-12-2019, 07:16 AM
Surely you would want a jury trial, as we would give you the benefit of the doubt and find you not guilty :greengrin

I still say it was a good tackle, but in the modern game I'm not surprised he was sent off.

Your jury would probably be a bunch of pros from the 80s wittering in about “getting the ba’ , it’s a man’s game” and you’d get away with it.

Unless you got unlucky and there were a few outraged huns roped in for the occasion who happened to be right up to date with the rules.