PDA

View Full Version : Tom White RIP

Cataplana
20-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Not an ex Hibs player, but one that older posters will remember, died in Blackpool on Wednesday.

He was a high scoring player for the Jambos, before being dropped after "missing a sitter" against us.

In fact, he had headered the ball onto the ground, as instructed by the coach, but it bounced over the bar. Directors watching in the box thought he had headed it straight over the bar.

His two brothers were also players, the more famous of whom was the great John White of Tottenham fame.

https://youtu.be/gZYpYaq7IVs

lyonhibs
20-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Not an ex Hibs player, but one that older posters will remember, died in Blackpool on Wednesday.

He was a high scoring player for the Jambos, before being dropped after "missing a sitter" against us.

In fact, he had headered the ball onto the ground, as instructed by the coach, but it bounced over the bar. Directors watching in the box thought he had headed it straight over the bar.

His two brothers were also players, the more famous of whom was the great John White of Tottenham fame.

https://youtu.be/gZYpYaq7IVs

Did I hear that right? The clip is from 1964 and the commentator says that Hearts haven't lost a game at Tynecastle since 1952??? :confused:

Cataplana
20-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Did I hear that right? The clip is from 1964 and the commentator says that Hearts haven't lost a game at Tynecastle since 1952??? :confused:

Possibly a derby game?

lyonhibs
20-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Possibly a derby game?

That would seem a bit less far fetched but it wasn't specified. Hearts had a fantastic team in the mid - late 50's but I can't see them never having lost a home game in all that time surely?

Cataplana
20-12-2019, 02:10 PM
That would seem a bit less far fetched but it wasn't specified. Hearts had a fantastic team in the mid - late 50's but I can't see them never having lost a home game in all that time surely?

I'm sure we would have heard about it if they had.

Mick O'Rourke
20-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Possibly a derby game?

We beat them more than once at tynie during that period.
In the League and the East of Scotland Shield.
A competition back then that was taken serious.
First team squads and good attendances.

RIP Tom White

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2019, 02:33 PM
That young boy Alan Gordon looks a player

Tommy Traynor scoring a header dearie me!

RIP Tom White

JeMeSouviens
20-12-2019, 03:02 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_head2head.php?opposition=5&from=61&to=48&update=Update

From 51 to 65 we beat them 7 times at Tiny and only 3 times at ER!

(Edit - not including EoS shield)

lyonhibs
20-12-2019, 03:16 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_head2head.php?opposition=5&from=61&to=48&update=Update

From 51 to 65 we beat them 7 times at Tiny and only 3 times at ER!

(Edit - not including EoS shield)

Weird, don't know what the commentator is havering about then 🤔😅

Great clip, back when Edinburgh football was great.

heretoday
20-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Six foot something and reddish hair as I recall. He played in the first ever match I attended with my dad in 1963 - Hearts v Third Lanark.

Tommy Traynor! Great days.

JeMeSouviens
20-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Weird, don't know what the commentator is havering about then 🤔😅

Great clip, back when Edinburgh football was great.

It's not Tiny, it's ER - we hadn't beaten them at ER since 1952 (apart from in the Summer Cup earlier that year).

Roxyhibee
20-12-2019, 03:46 PM
Pretty sure this was the season Killie snatched the league title from them at Tynie in the last game of the season, on goal average.?

We came 4th that season, only 4 points from the top.

lapsedhibee
20-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Pretty sure this was the season Killie snatched the league title from them at Tynie in the last game of the season, on goal average.?

We came 4th that season, only 4 points from the top.

Yes, in the return fixture at Tiny, Willie Hamilton (no 8 in the clip) an ex-Hearts player, scored from behind the Hearts goal line to beat them 1-0. If it wasn't for that goal Hearts would have been champions. Shame.

Hearts 0 Hibs 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z0Qa7sjDg)

Cataplana
20-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Yes, in the return fixture at Tiny, Willie Hamilton (no 8 in the clip) an ex-Hearts player, scored from behind the Hearts goal line to beat them 1-0. If it wasn't for that goal Hearts would have been champions. Shame.

So, coming back to Tom, had he scored then Hearts would have won the league.

As it was Tommy Walker dropped him as a punishment for failing to secure victory against the Hobos.

Hearts Hibs Hubris is Hoodoo Once Again.

where'stheslope
20-12-2019, 04:11 PM
Great to see Tiny Wharton resplendent in his referees blazer, referees today would do well to notice that a man of that size was there to just referee the game not become the star of the show!!!
Many games with him were still controversial, but he had the players under his control at all times.
Another thing that stands out from the game footage, is the players celebrating goals, none of this running or gesturing to fans.
I often think that when celebrating with fans and gesturing to them is what has caused a lot of the problems in today's game.

Lancs Harp
20-12-2019, 04:53 PM
He was a very popular figure around Blackpool, where Im from. He played for Blackpool in a brief period at the end of the 60s, and became a director of the Club. I met him a couple of times and was a regular at Blackpool FC events, a really nice fella. He owned the Boston Hotel on the Seafront who had a five a side footall team in the local league that boasted the likes of Jim McCalliog, Dave Wagstaffe and Tony Green. Needless to say they won the league every season for quite a time but it was a privilege to be n the same pitch as those guys.

RIP Tom, sound guy.

Max_Shah
20-12-2019, 05:02 PM
He was a very popular figure around Blackpool, where Im from. He played for Blackpool in a brief period at the end of the 60s, and became a director of the Club. I met him a couple of times and was a regular at Blackpool FC events, a really nice fella. He owned the Boston Hotel on the Seafront who had a five a side footall team in the local league that boasted the likes of Jim McCalliog, Dave Wagstaffe and Tony Green. Needless to say they won the league every season for quite a time but it was a privilege to be n the same pitch as those guys.

RIP Tom, sound guy.

Great post mate. :top marks

Bloke drinking next to me in Robbies was talking about this and I am guilty of not knowing anything about him until I wapped the phone out later and saw how important he is to our community.

Lets have a win for Tom.

RIP Mr. White

Dublin07
20-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Brought up in fisherrow. My dad's best mate growing up. They went to tynecastle one week Easter road the next. Met him in his hotel in Blackpool about 30 years ago with my folks. Rip.

heretoday
20-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Brought up in fisherrow. My dad's best mate growing up. They went to tynecastle one week Easter road the next. Met him in his hotel in Blackpool about 30 years ago with my folks. Rip.

Same here. ER one week and Tynie the next. We used to meet the same fathers and kids in the same spots on the terraces!

A football match was an event in those days. You saw some great players for the price of the entry.

brog
20-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Hearts 0 Hibs 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z0Qa7sjDg)

Even better, about 2 months before season end Dundee won 7 1 at Tynie!! All Hearts had to do to win the league was hold Dundee to 6 1 at home! So Dundee were responsible both for Hearts losing league on goal average & on goal difference!