PDA

View Full Version : Overlapping Centre Backs

Paloschi
19-12-2019, 02:56 PM
I see Sheffield United and their manager are getting praise for starting this in British football - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQdx1OYZ0fA

I remember a few games at Easter Road under Lennon, when we went 3 at the back and Paul Hanlon, playing as a left centre back would combine with Stevenson down the left wing in the later stages of games. He'd also run through midfield and into the opposition penalty box. It was the first time I'd seen this in a game and felt it was pretty unique. It happened in a few games that season and in one game in particular (Dundee at home, 2-1) it worked very well as he was our main threat in the second half and was getting up in support of Stokes and Simon Murray.

Did we (or Lennon) start this in British football? Was it by design or default? Did Lennon see this and utilise it as a tactic or did Paul Hanlon simply drive into spaces? Lennon used various formations at Hibs (in his last season he used 9 in the first half of the season alone) but his 3-5-2 had Hanlon in much more advanced positions, usually when chasing a lead. Different to the libero or sweeper, Hanlon didn't run through the centre, it was the left wing and attacking midfield positions and that is what made it unique. An overlapping centre back.

Barman Stanton
19-12-2019, 03:19 PM
I see Sheffield United and their manager are getting praise for starting this in British football - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQdx1OYZ0fA

I remember a few games at Easter Road under Lennon, when we went 3 at the back and Paul Hanlon, playing as a left centre back would combine with Stevenson down the left wing in the later stages of games. He'd also run through midfield and into the opposition penalty box. It was the first time I'd seen this in a game and felt it was pretty unique. It happened in a few games that season and in one game in particular (Dundee at home, 2-1) it worked very well as he was our main threat in the second half and was getting up in support of Stokes and Simon Murray.

Did we (or Lennon) start this in British football? Was it by design or default? Did Lennon see this and utilise it as a tactic or did Paul Hanlon simply drive into spaces? Lennon used various formations at Hibs (in his last season he used 9 in the first half of the season alone) but his 3-5-2 had Hanlon in much more advanced positions, usually when chasing a lead. Different to the libero or sweeper, Hanlon didn't run through the centre, it was the left wing and attacking midfield positions and that is what made it unique. An overlapping centre back.

I dont think its really anything new. Baresi at Milan used to burst forward and start attacks. Although Baresi could have played anywhere on the pitch in fairness. We also had Sauzee doing it from the sweeper position.

BILLYHIBS
19-12-2019, 03:21 PM
I remember David Coleman on Sports Night with Coleman raving about Jim Cilla Black as being the first overlapping Centre Back versus Leeds away at Elland Road in the early seventies as he took the ball for a walk through the centre of the park and the Leeds defence

Dont forget Efe Ambrose once he went on one of his mazy runs I don’t think even he knew where he was going to end up

Roxyhibee
19-12-2019, 03:43 PM
I remember David Coleman on Sports Night with Coleman raving about Jim Cilla Black as being the first overlapping Centre Back versus Leeds away at Elland Road in the early seventies as he took the ball for a walk through the centre of the park and the Leeds defence

Dont forget Efe Ambrose once he went on one of his mazy runs I don’t think even he knew where he was going to end up

Eddie Turnbull was light years ahead as a coach. Cropley said in his autobiography the coaches at Arsenal and Villa were nowhere near as good.

MWHIBBIES
19-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Fontaine and Hanlon were doing in the championship. Was easy because everyone played 1 striker against us so we had an extra man that could come forward.

Begbie79
19-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Glorified Sweeper.

Centre Hawf
19-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Football tactics goes in cycles. 4-4-2 was the rage then you needed to play with 3 in the middle. Then it was false 9's, before 3-5-2. Route one made way for tiki-taka. Of course some teams still stick to their strengths though.

I don't think we were the first to do the overlapping centre backs but I think we definitely were natural in doing it before it became mainstream. Although to be fair to Sheffield they've been doing it for 18 months at least. I have to admit I miss seeing Paul maraude down that touchline because he is actually technically gifted for a centre half.

patlowe
20-12-2019, 04:56 AM
The second half of 2017-18 was the most fun Hibs have been to watch in my lifetime. A big part of that was watching Efe bursting out with the ball on one side and Hanlon overlapping on the other. The whole team was so attack minded it was ridiculous, but we were so on top in some games that we could afford to be. Bit of a travesty we didn't finish 2nd really but we'll always have the memories.

Since452
20-12-2019, 05:25 AM
Annoys me a bit. Teams have been playing overlapping full backs for years as others have said. It's not new. People constantly claiming the wheel has been reinvented with gegenpressing etc. The only thing I've seen that was brand new was Hearts version of the offside trap last season

BILLYHIBS
20-12-2019, 05:29 AM
Annoys me a bit. Teams have been playing overlapping full backs for years as others have said. It's not new. Did Murphy and Whitts not do it under Mowbray? People constantly claiming the wheel has been reinvented with gegenpressing etc. The only thing I've seen that was brand new was Hearts version of the offside trap last season

Certainly better than their attempts versus Celtic the other night no defenders at all. :confused:

What is Efe up to these days anyway?

What a waste :greengrin

Danny_Hibee
20-12-2019, 07:51 AM
We definitely did it in the Rangers 5-5 game and that was with 4 at the back. Was likely what caught them out so quickly at first and got us off to a flier until they worked it out and it left us 'slightly' exposed.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
20-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Hipster football

Fergus52
20-12-2019, 08:43 AM
The second half of 2017-18 was the most fun Hibs have been to watch in my lifetime. A big part of that was watching Efe bursting out with the ball on one side and Hanlon overlapping on the other. The whole team was so attack minded it was ridiculous, but we were so on top in some games that we could afford to be. Bit of a travesty we didn't finish 2nd really but we'll always have the memories.

Absolutely loved that hibs team, probably my favourite since I first got a season ticket in 2005.

Wish we'd managed to keep them all together for the European run.

Mibbes Aye
20-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Hanlon getting into the box was a glorious sight but utterly dependent on a couple of things - firstly the great off-the-ball movement of Stevenson to be in the right place at the right time to make it happen and secondly, Allan drifting out left and joining them up with his trademark subtle passes.