18-12-2019, 08:46 PM
Greetings!

Documentary on the long running BBC Radio Scotland footie show

Tonight 10pm

The BBC Scotland Channel

Available on BBC iPlayer

Topographic Hibby
18-12-2019, 09:30 PM
I really can't make my mind up about these two.

Once upon a time, I thought they were essential listening and gave whoever needed taken down a peg or three both barrels. But over time, they have become very tired and same-y. Then we had the whole financial doping by the former Rangers and our neighbours, and I didn't hear much criticism of them. It was all just part of the banter of the game. Downright racist, sectarian offensive behaviour is simply dismissed as "colour" and part of our game.

They are as much part of the problem, not really wanting to offend the Glasgow two - they are simply part of the SMSM as much as the Daily Record.

And don't even start me on the terrible music that Tam listens to. At least Cosgrove has written three essential and possibly culturally important books on American race politics and soul music. He can come round my place anytime with his record box, but not Tam. God no, leave him on the doorstep....

The 90+2
18-12-2019, 09:34 PM
I went from loving it growing up to thinking it was pish in my 20s to actually really enjoying it again even if Cowans a bit of a Jambo loving arse at times.

Pretty Boy
18-12-2019, 09:39 PM
I like it.

Cosgrove and Cowan are different characters and play well off each other. Doesn't take itself too seriously. It's not high brow but that's the charm of it as far as I'm concerned.

SquashedFrogg
18-12-2019, 09:46 PM
I went from loving it growing up to thinking it was pish in my 20s to actually really enjoying it again even if Cowans a bit of a Jambo loving arse at times.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Litterally couldn't have described it any better mate 👍

Sammy7nil
18-12-2019, 09:50 PM

Definitely a jambo sympathiser but hey ho i still like them.

Hibstrooper
18-12-2019, 09:52 PM
Heading through to an away game listening to Off the ball is part of the routine. Despite it being crap & cringey at times I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Alex Trager
18-12-2019, 09:52 PM
Essential part of my Saturdays in the house.

‘The Kickabout’ on Radio X from 11-12 then OTB onward.

Most of the time cut short by me heading to the boozer mind you

weecounty hibby
18-12-2019, 09:55 PM
No other choice but to listen when driving to and from Easter Road. It's ok, the jambo love in that they have at times really gets on my nerves though

Green-Hibee-7
18-12-2019, 09:57 PM
My biggest gripe about it is that 1 show before the football is enough.

The fact they cut short the analysis/reaction from OTB so they can have these 2 back on again is odd to me. By the time I’m usually back in the car after games if we drive, I’ve got about 15 mins of actual football reaction then these two get airtime again. Would rather have proper football discussion than listen to these two tell 1 in 20 decent funny stories.

In the bin for me.

Jones28
18-12-2019, 09:59 PM
I enjoyed that, two guys who may annoy some people but essentially want to bring the rest of Scottish football to the fore and totally shun the old firm unless they’re ripping the piss.

The Modfather
18-12-2019, 10:15 PM
I still love Off The Ball . Also a big fan of Stuart Cosgrove, particular in the context of music.

CMurdoch
18-12-2019, 10:20 PM
I still love Off The Ball . Also a big fan of Stuart Cosgrove, particular in the context of music.

Hell on earth for me would be being forced to listen to Tam's record collection.
Well well well beyond painful.

Have a few of Stuarts books but predictably haven't gotten round to reading them.

O'Rourke3
18-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Standard Saturday listening for me. Far better than Biscuits latest rant about Hearts, Willie Miller's retorical questions and an aplolgy about the line going down at ER. Re the football debate, once Jack Ross has been on, game over. Bring on the next programme.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
18-12-2019, 10:36 PM
I really enjoy it, a regular part of my match day drive.

The 90+2
18-12-2019, 10:38 PM
Pretty much exactly my thoughts. Litterally couldn't have described it any better mate 👍

Great minds and all that :greengrin

Carheenlea
18-12-2019, 10:51 PM

The fact they cut short the analysis/reaction from OTB so they can have these 2 back on again is odd to me. By the time I’m usually back in the car after games if we drive, I’ve got about 15 mins of actual football reaction then these two get airtime again. Would rather have proper football discussion than listen to these two tell 1 in 20 decent funny stories.

In the bin for me.

It’s well after 5 before I get back to car, but are we really missing that much? A few “absolutely delighted” and “worked wur socks off” interviews at most. I prefer their ordinary fan review of the afternoons proceedings.

FilipinoHibs
18-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Great minds and all that :greengrin

Fools seldom differ😳

The 90+2
19-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Fools seldom differ😳

Fair enough point 😁

See they used the longbangers intro as part of the tunes they had too, class touch.

The 90+2
19-12-2019, 01:48 AM
Has anyone a link please to the off the ball 21/05/16? Best listen ever wiped away with iPhone update.

givescotlandfreedom
19-12-2019, 02:28 AM
I really can't make my mind up about these two.

Once upon a time, I thought they were essential listening and gave whoever needed taken down a peg or three both barrels. But over time, they have become very tired and same-y. Then we had the whole financial doping by the former Rangers and our neighbours, and I didn't hear much criticism of them. It was all just part of the banter of the game. Downright racist, sectarian offensive behaviour is simply dismissed as "colour" and part of our game.

They are as much part of the problem, not really wanting to offend the Glasgow two - they are simply part of the SMSM as much as the Daily Record.

And don't even start me on the terrible music that Tam listens to. At least Cosgrove has written three essential and possibly culturally important books on American race politics and soul music. He can come round my place anytime with his record box, but not Tam. God no, leave him on the doorstep....

Cosgrove gives it tight to teams not living within their means at least.

FilipinoHibs
19-12-2019, 03:59 AM
Cosgrove gives it tight to teams not living within their means at least.

Yup he laughs at Hearts but also defended our pitch invasion after the cup final

Hermit Crab
19-12-2019, 04:59 AM

In the bin for me.

OTB evening show replaced Jim Trainors football phone in when he left the BBC did it not? Doubt they could keep Richard Gordon and co on air until 7pm as the reporters are all at the respective stadiums and they need to close for the night and all the broadcasting equipment needs packed away etc and the reporters need to get home too.

Hermit Crab
19-12-2019, 05:04 AM
[QUOTE=90+2;6019797]Has anyone a link please to the off the ball 21/05/16? Best listen ever wiped away with iPhone update.[/QUOTE

Off the Ball - 2016 Scottish Cup Final Special - Hibs 3 Rangers 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpvm6YfTEZo)

JimBHibees
19-12-2019, 05:53 AM
I like it.

Cosgrove and Cowan are different characters and play well off each other. Doesn't take itself too seriously. It's not high brow but that's the charm of it as far as I'm concerned.

Agree standard listening on the drive home from a game at ER.

FilipinoHibs
19-12-2019, 06:18 AM
My Saturday evening here starts with OTB followed by Sportsound then Hibs TV. Keeps me connected with the homeland.

The 90+2
19-12-2019, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=90+2;6019797]Has anyone a link please to the off the ball 21/05/16? Best listen ever wiped away with iPhone update.[/QUOTE

Thanks mate, I would encourage every Hibs fan to gie it a listen.

Off the Ball - 2016 Scottish Cup Final Special - Hibs 3 Rangers 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpvm6YfTEZo)

Billy Whizz
19-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Love it

Cataplana
19-12-2019, 08:40 AM
I had no idea it raised such strong emotions in people. It's an easy listen for me, and gives the diddy teams a voice.

cabbageandribs1875
19-12-2019, 08:58 AM
it's what saturdays are for

WestCoastHibby
19-12-2019, 09:11 AM
Back in the day when they actually took calls I was on a few times. After the World Cup 98 opening game and the George OBoyle “snow in the toilets scandal” my more notable conversations.
If I’ve heard the Paul Daniels saved my life story I’ve heard it at least two dozen times but it’s just a part of it.
I’ve quite liked the recent change in format too but some of the guests can be poor. Stephen Thomson the other week was pretty good as it happens.
My sons both grew up forced to hear it in the background every Saturday and they can’t stand them!
Generation gap I guess

Diclonius
19-12-2019, 09:12 AM
I really like it. Also pleased that it's now on after Sportsound as well (though agree that post match reaction could go on a little longer) - remember Old Firm FM (Your Call)? :shocked:

Curried
19-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Each to their own, but I find it petty, ill-informed and repetitive....yawn.

marinello59
19-12-2019, 10:00 AM
It's in a similar state to Only and Excuse for Me. It's best days are in the past.

Green-Hibee-7
19-12-2019, 11:52 AM
It’s well after 5 before I get back to car, but are we really missing that much? A few “absolutely delighted” and “worked wur socks off” interviews at most. I prefer their ordinary fan review of the afternoons proceedings.

You are right and let’s get it right OAM/sportsound standard of pundits hardly makes it a great listen but I feel I would rather listen to that and at least have some decent reaction/proper football discussion than they two. Each to their own. Just not a big fan of it.

matty_f
19-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Has anyone a link please to the off the ball 21/05/16? Best listen ever wiped away with iPhone update.
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpvm6YfTEZo"

Off the Ball - 2016 Scottish Cup Final Special - Hibs 3 Rangers 2 [/URL]

Cheers for sharing that - stuck it on in the car coming to work this morning, honestly had tears welling up at points.

PeeKay
19-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Stopped listening years ago after Tam Cowan's sick joke about Alen Orman's epilepsy (the only time I have ever written a complaint to the BBC) and have never been back.

Iggy Pope
19-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Stopped listening years ago after Tam Cowan's sick joke about Alen Orman's epilepsy (the only time I have ever written a complaint to the BBC) and have never been back.

I remember that. Shakin Stevens. Cowan is such a fat twat. A virgin that lived with his Ma into his 40s.

Baader
19-12-2019, 01:50 PM
I remember that. Shakin Stevens. Cowan is such a fat twat. A virgin that lived with his Ma into his 40s.

I agree. His Daily Record column was populist nonsense. Not much to like.

PeeJay
19-12-2019, 04:45 PM
I listen to it here in Berlin on Saturdays before and after the games occasionally - I enjoy most of it, don't agree with every opinion they have (don't expect to) sure, it's a bit cringe-worthy at times, but it's only a few guys chattering mainly about Scottish football - quite an achievement to have lasted 25 years IMO ...

blackpoolhibs
19-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Some of it is good, some crap, a bit like most sports programmes.

HFC93
19-12-2019, 05:17 PM
It's in a similar state to Only and Excuse for Me. It's best days are in the past.

It has its flaws but comparing it Only an Excuse is harsh. I wouldn't wish OaE upon my worst enemy.

Frazerbob
19-12-2019, 08:49 PM
It has its flaws but comparing it Only an Excuse is harsh. I wouldn't wish OaE upon my worst enemy.

Exactly. OAE should’ve been put down 15 years ago. Still enjoy listening the old radio version from the late ‘80s though.

OTB is still a good listen. Great to have a show that isn’t dominated by the Infirm. Cosgrove is an intelligent guy and well worth the listen.

Cataplana
20-12-2019, 08:43 AM

I really thought it would get the axe this year, but I've just checked and it's on as usual.

Carheenlea
20-12-2019, 10:59 AM
I’m always in Ireland at New Year so cant watch Only an Excuse when it’s broadcast, but the thread on Hibs.net that usually accompanies the programme has become a festive staple. Usually more laughs on that than OAE itself.

Hiber-nation
20-12-2019, 02:39 PM

And was an Engelbert Humperdinck fan 😂

HoboHarry
20-12-2019, 02:48 PM
I can't listen to anything that has Willie Miller droning on and on in it. Miserable, greeting faced baldy heided sheep sh*****g wannabe teuchter......

Roxyhibee
20-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Always liked Cosgrove culturally and as a genuine fair football man. And showed real balls and brains against the BBC studio mass hysteria straight after the 21/5 pitch invasion. He could tie the whole lot of them up anytime, and they know it.

Haven’t liked that tw&t Cowan for a number of years now. Romanov admiring, hypocritical little populist.

stoneyburn hibs
20-12-2019, 03:52 PM
Always tune in when I can, long may it continue.

matty_f
20-12-2019, 04:01 PM
Always tune in when I can, long may it continue.

Same here, it's nonsense but it always has a good few laughs in it, and both hosts are genuine football fans.

stoneyburn hibs
20-12-2019, 04:14 PM
Same here, it's nonsense but it always has a good few laughs in it, and both hosts are genuine football fans.

Exactly, just enjoy it for what it is.

Hermit Crab
20-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Love it.

Max_Shah
20-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Stuart Cosgrove posts on the St. Johnstone forum [WATP] and was [is?] a named director of P&B.

You can review his publicly available posts here:

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/profile/336-soulfulsaint/

(http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/profile/336-soulfulsaint/)IMO - I would rather dangle my love spuds in a pool of hungry piranha while Alan Brazil tickles my G-Spot than listen to them.

Petty & ill-informed. Sounds good to me.

Just my opinion. :na na:

cabbageandribs1875
20-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Stuart Cosgrove posts on the St. Johnstone forum [WATP] and was [is?] a named director of P&B.

You can review his publicly available posts here:

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/profile/336-soulfulsaint/

(http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/profile/336-soulfulsaint/)IMO - I would rather dangle my love spuds in a pool of hungry piranha while Alan Brazil tickles my G-Spot than listen to them.

Petty & ill-informed. Sounds good to me.

Just my opinion. :na na:

what an unfortunate acronym to give themselves :confused:

after a quick google is it not We Are Perth

Max_Shah
20-12-2019, 05:55 PM
what an unfortunate acronym to give themselves :confused:

after a quick google is it not We Are Perth

You are absolutely correct.

Three pre-match Staropramen's in Robbies = errant "T's' :na na:

It was unfortunate, enjoy the game mate. We are all Hibs [WAAH]

EDIT - Sorry for the post - although every Hibee is welcome to a free pint in Middys.

Cosgrove is still a winker tho IMO... :wink:

09-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Looking for nominations for the best club song.

https://twitter.com/offtheballbbc/status/1259096660778668032?s=19

Sunshine on Leith mentioned by Stuart Cosgrove, Richard Gordon, and the guest (a musician bloke).

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-05-2020, 06:26 PM
Looking for nominations for the best club song.

https://twitter.com/offtheballbbc/status/1259096660778668032?s=19

Sunshine on Leith mentioned by Stuart Cosgrove, Richard Gordon, and the guest (a musician bloke).

No contest surely.

BILLYHIBS
09-05-2020, 07:07 PM
Switched it off when one them said ( can’t remember who) that he wanted to take the side of The Rangers and Hearts As far as I am concerned they are dead in the water time to move on to Tuesday and call the League as done and dusted and deal with the inevitable fall out later

GGTTH

:cb