PDA

View Full Version : Team of the decade

hfc rd
16-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Looking back over this past decade, what would be your Starting XI and bench/manager (if you wanted to add them in too) from 2010 onwards. Mines is:

Marciano

Gray
Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Allan
McGeouch
McGinn

Stokes
Griffiths

subs:
Logan
Bamba
Fontaine
Henderson
Boyle
Riordan
Cummings

Manager - Alan Stubbs

Diclonius
16-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Marciano

Gray Ambrose Hanlon Stevenson

Allan McGeouch McGinn

Stokes Griffiths Cummings

Manager: Neil Lennon

Three best Hibs players of the decade:
1. John McGinn
2. Leigh Griffiths
3. Scott Allan

Northernhibee
16-12-2019, 05:00 PM
Marciano

Gray

McGregor
Porteous
Hanlon

Stevenson

McGinn
McGeouch
Allan

Griffiths
Cummings

Subs: Williams (pre Butcher), Bartley, Henderson, Stokes, Claros, Ambrose, Boyle

Manager: Alan Stubbs

I just know I'm missing a million other quality players but that's the first eighteen off the top of my head.

Johnny_Leith
16-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Marciano

Bamba
Ambrose
Hanlon

Boyle
Allan
McGeouch
McGinn
Stevenson

Griffiths
Riordan

Subs
Williams
Claros
Stokes
Hendo
Gray
Fyvie
Zemmama

Northernhibee
16-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Is there an argument to say

Logan

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeouch

Stokes
Cummings

Subs: Oxley, Gunnarsson, Bartley, Boyle, Dagnell, Keatings, Henderson

For all the players that we've had in the last decade, this is a team that will be spoken about in fifty years time. They gave us one of the very best days ever in our clubs history.

Hibeesmad
16-12-2019, 06:10 PM
Marciano

Gray
Ambrose
McGregor
Stevenson

Boyle
Allan
McGinn
Riordan

Griffiths
Stokes

Subs: Bogdan, Hanlon, McGeough, Zemmama, Henderson, Cummings, Kamberi

Manager: Stubbs manager of the decade for winning the Scottish Cup. However, would opt for Lennon who I consider to be a better manager.

Sammy7nil
16-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Just shocked, stunned and astounded some have Cummings ahead of Deek, okay there is a debate between Deek and Stokes but Cummings who could not hold down a regular start in every championship game. Really !

Allant1981
16-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Just shocked, stunned and astounded some have Cummings ahead of Deek, okay there is a debate between Deek and Stokes but Cummings who could not hold down a regular start in every championship game. Really !

Riordan was coming to the end of his time with us at the time the poster mentioned which was probably a factor, that and winning the Scottish cup,Riodan for me every day of the week

Pretty Boy
16-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Marciano

Gray
Ambrose
Bamba
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGeough
Allan
McGinn

Griffiths
Riordan

Subs

Logan
McGregor
Fontaine
Zemamma
Fyvie
Stokes
Claros

Manager - Stubbs

It's quite tricky. It was a mixed bag of a decade but we had some really good players in that time.

jgl07
17-12-2019, 02:08 AM
Riordan would be anywhere near my team of the decade in question. He would certainly be one of the first names for the team of the previous decade.

His performances in the period in question would leave him well behind Griffiths, Stokes, Doyle and even Cummins.

Fergus52
17-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Marciano

Ambrose
Bamba
Hanlon

Boyle
McGeouch
Allan
McGinn
Stevenson

Malonga
Griffiths

Subs:
Logan
Daz
SDG
Claros
Zemmamma
Doyle
Cummings

CloudSquall
17-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Marciano

Gray
Bamba
Ambrose
Stevenson

McGeoch (DM)

McGinn (CM)
Henderson (CM)

Alan (AM)

Griffiths
Stokes

Begbie79
17-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Logan

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeouch

Stokes
Cummings

For all the players that we've had in the last decade, this is a team that will be spoken about in fifty years time. They gave us one of the very best days ever in our clubs history.

I get its your opinion and all but your clearly at the wind up with some of they subs? surely?

People will be speaking about Chris Dagnal and Mark Oxley in 50 years?

Onceinawhile
17-12-2019, 09:43 AM
I get its your opinion and all but your clearly at the wind up with some of they subs? surely?

I'd imagine people will be talking about the 18 players who won us the cup.

The two mentioned will undoubtedly be No. 17 and 18 when it's discussed, but I can see where the poster is coming from.

Northernhibee
17-12-2019, 10:42 AM

They were the subs on 21st of May. If there was a team to sum up this decade of being a Hibs fan, it's that team.

Pretty Boy
17-12-2019, 10:47 AM
They were the subs on 21st of May. If there was a team to sum up this decade of being a Hibs fan, it's that team.

And both played their part in getting us to the final.

Diclonius
17-12-2019, 10:53 AM

2010s Riordan does not match Cummings.

Northernhibee
17-12-2019, 11:02 AM
And both played their part in getting us to the final.

Mark Oxley was a better keeper than given credit for and made some great saves vs Rangers when Lewis Stevenson volleyed home.

Sammy7nil
17-12-2019, 11:10 AM
2010s Riordan does not match Cummings.

Yip sorry, I was taking his whole career in to account not only from 2010 onwards.

However I still have doubts about Cummings being in any team of the decade yes he scored against hearts and Rangers but he was not tested in the top league and was not always a first pick in the Championship.

Begbie79
17-12-2019, 11:10 AM

I get that, but if we are picking a team based on ability then those guys wouldnt be near it in my opinion.

Completely agree with the fact that thats the team people will talk about and understand why. :thumbsup:

Northernhibee
17-12-2019, 11:14 AM
I get that, but if we are picking a team based on ability then those guys wouldnt be near it in my opinion.

Completely agree with the fact that thats the team people will talk about and understand why. :thumbsup:

I do also think that in time people will talk about our back line of Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon, McGregor and Fonts will be spoken about like we do Turnbull's Tornadoes, the Famous Five, the Golden Generation etc - we're so lucky to have them. A legendary defensive line that did the impossible.

Sammy7nil
17-12-2019, 11:18 AM
I do also think that in time people will talk about our back line of Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon, McGregor and Fonts will be spoken about like we do Turnbull's Tornadoes, the Famous Five, the Golden Generation etc - we're so lucky to have them. A legendary defensive line that did the impossible.

I agree with you on Stevenson, McGregor and Gray for the obvious reason I would also include Stokes. However I don't think any of others will be mentioned or deserve to be in the same breath as the Tornadoes or the Famous Five.

MWHIBBIES
17-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Yip sorry, I was taking his whole career in to account not only from 2010 onwards.

However I still have doubts about Cummings being in any team of the decade yes he scored against hearts and Rangers but he was not tested in the top league and was not always a first pick in the Championship.

When wasn't he first pick? For a few weeks under Lennon and we struggled without him. That's it.

Northernhibee
17-12-2019, 11:21 AM
I agree with you on Stevenson, McGregor and Gray for the obvious reason I would also include Stokes. However I don't think any of others will be mentioned or deserve to be in the same breath as the Tornadoes or the Famous Five.

For me, the team that won us the Scottish Cup after over a century will always be in the same breath as the Tornadoes or the Famous Five, to a man. That wasn't just one of the happiest days of being a Hibs supporter, that was up there in my lifetime.

The joy that team gave half of Edinburgh is unparalleled.

Sammy7nil
17-12-2019, 11:24 AM
For me, the team that won us the Scottish Cup after over a century will always be in the same breath as the Tornadoes or the Famous Five, to a man. That wasn't just one of the happiest days of being a Hibs supporter, that was up there in my lifetime.

The joy that team gave half of Edinburgh is unparalleled.

I am sure most will agree with you, however there are sooooo many players over the years that deserve to be Hibs greats, some in the cup squad definitely don't.

Pretty Boy
17-12-2019, 11:26 AM

In years to come the 2016 team will mean more to me, and many of my generation, than the FF or the Tornadoes.

I appreciate it's different depending on age and when you started watching Hibs but the aforementioned are just names and grainy footage to me. Of course I appreciate the stories and what they achieved at Hibs but it doesn't compare to actually being there. For a lot of people under 40ish the 2016 team are their ultimate Hibs legends. All of them.

Hibeesmad
17-12-2019, 04:45 PM
In years to come the 2016 team will mean more to me, and many of my generation, than the FF or the Tornadoes.

I appreciate it's different depending on age and when you started watching Hibs but the aforementioned are just names and grainy footage to me. Of course I appreciate the stories and what they achieved at Hibs but it doesn't compare to actually being there. For a lot of people under 40ish the 2016 team are their ultimate Hibs legends. All of them.

:agree: including Malonga

MrRobot
18-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Even 2010 onwards Riordan is better than Cummings IMO. He played in the top league, played mostly on the left of midfield and still scored a rake of goals.

Marciano

Gray Ambrose McGregor Stevenson

Allan McGeouch McGinn

Griffiths Stokes Riordan

Subs
Bogdan
Hanlon
Boyle
Henderson
Miller
Cummings
Malonga

matty_f
18-12-2019, 11:02 AM

Logan

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeouch

Stokes
Cummings

This is the correct answer.

Diclonius
18-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Big game player, scored in countless important wins (and some of my favourite ever Hibs games) and got an assist in the final. Has to be up there for me.

BoomtownHibees
18-12-2019, 11:29 AM
A question slightly off track but when were the names for teams thought up? What I mean is, were the Famous Five called the Famous Five when they were playing or was it years down the line that name came about? Same with the Tornadoes?

Should we have a name for the Cup final team or will that come in time?

BILLYHIBS
18-12-2019, 11:42 AM
A question slightly off track but when were the names for teams thought up? What I mean is, were the Famous Five called the Famous Five when they were playing or was it years down the line that name came about? Same with the Tornadoes?

I am sure HIBS had a hit single 45 B side in the top 100 called Turnbulls Tornadoes at the time at their height in the early 1970s

https://youtu.be/7x5U3x-VRMk

As for 21/5/2016:

The Time For Heroes Legends

HibsTalk
27-12-2019, 08:40 PM
On the latest Hibs Talk we discussed our teams of the Decade so thought I'd post the podcast here and keep the conversation going!

Also discuss Hearts game and Livi.

Apple|
https://t.co/Q1f82IuwSM
Spotify|
https://t.co/1T8Eo6ULMI
Web|
https://t.co/FV7AgkLruK
YouTube|
https://t.co/QvBtlLDQV3

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

500miles
27-12-2019, 11:53 PM
...............Rocky
.......Bamba...Efe...McGregor
Gray........McGeouch.......Stevenson
.......Allan.......McGinn
........Boyle
.............Griffiths

1875godsgift
28-12-2019, 12:35 AM

Hibs Heroes will do for me :flag:

Paisley Hibby
28-12-2019, 01:34 AM

Logan

Gray
Fontaine
Hanlon
McGregor
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeouch

Stokes
Cummings

That's the team of the century

HibsTalk
28-12-2019, 09:26 AM
...............Rocky
.......Bamba...Efe...McGregor
Gray........McGeouch.......Stevenson
.......Allan.......McGinn
........Boyle
.............GriffithsWas Boyle in your team of the decade on Wednesday?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

GlesgaeHibby
28-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Mark Oxley was a better keeper than given credit for and made some great saves vs Rangers when Lewis Stevenson volleyed home.

Completely disagree. That must be one of the few games I've seen him save anything.

He got a better rep than he deserved because he didn't make howlers. As a shot stopper he was woeful.

Brightside
28-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Hanlon captain obv