PDA

View Full Version : Stewart Milne is a hypocrite

CockneyRebel
16-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Just read on BBC Sport that Stewart Milne took a parting shot at the old firm as he steps down at Aberdeen stating that their reluctance to allow change has held Scottish football back. This from the man who sided with Celtic to keep the status quo of a majority of eleven to one being needed to make any changes within the Scottish Premier League. This voting ratio had previously meant that the OF voting together stopped any proposed changes from seeing the light of day enabling them to look after their own interests to the detriment of every other club. While the boys in blue were working their way back from the bottom division a vote was called to change this ratio from a farce of the highest order into a more fair and just option. The bold Stewart (for reasons that are way beyond my ken) voted with Celtic and now we are where we are (still). Unless either of the OF get relegated (or wound up) this ratio will NEVER change. Perhaps Milne thought that while Rangers were otherwise engaged then his Aberdeen team could sneak into (and consolidate) second place in the league so he jumped into bed with Celtic. We had one shot and Milne sold everyone out.

JimBHibees
16-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Just read on BBC Sport that Stewart Milne took a parting shot at the old firm as he steps down at Aberdeen stating that their reluctance to allow change has held Scottish football back. This from the man who sided with Celtic to keep the status quo of a majority of eleven to one being needed to make any changes within the Scottish Premier League. This voting ratio had previously meant that the OF voting together stopped any proposed changes from seeing the light of day enabling them to look after their own interests to the detriment of every other club. While the boys in blue were working their way back from the bottom division a vote was called to change this ratio from a farce of the highest order into a more fair and just option. The bold Stewart (for reasons that are way beyond my ken) voted with Celtic and now we are where we are (still). Unless either of the OF get relegated (or wound up) this ratio will NEVER change. Perhaps Milne thought that while Rangers were otherwise engaged then his Aberdeen team could sneak into (and consolidate) second place in the league so he jumped into bed with Celtic. We had one shot and Milne sold everyone out.

He should have been asked to explain his reasoning as not sure he has ever done so. Unfortunately I think we were part of a bigger game agreed with all clubs including Celtic and Rangers as on the face of it made absolutely no sense for him to vote as he did. Can't remember much fallout from it from the other clubs (may be totally wrong on that) which would tend to suggest a game was being played.

CockneyRebel
16-12-2019, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;6017556]He should have been asked to explain his reasoning as not sure he has ever done so. Unfortunately I think we were part of a bigger game agreed with all clubs including Celtic and Rangers as on the face of it made absolutely no sense for him to vote as he did. Can't remember much fallout from it from the other clubs (may be totally wrong on that) which would tend to suggest a game was being played.[/QUOTE

But surely that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas?

JimBHibees
16-12-2019, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=JimBHibees;6017556]He should have been asked to explain his reasoning as not sure he has ever done so. Unfortunately I think we were part of a bigger game agreed with all clubs including Celtic and Rangers as on the face of it made absolutely no sense for him to vote as he did. Can't remember much fallout from it from the other clubs (may be totally wrong on that) which would tend to suggest a game was being played.[/QUOTE

But surely that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas?

It would and never understood it.

seanshow
16-12-2019, 11:09 AM
I couldn't agree more, well said.
and yes he spotted the opportunity for the sheepies to get their act together and it has worked for him during the last 4 years

Don't come out bleating now, after you sold the chance to make drastic changes in Scottish football for a short term gain, bell end.

The Harp Awakes
16-12-2019, 01:03 PM

Yes, exactly the same went through my head. Maybe Aberdeen were bribed :dunno:

Jim44
16-12-2019, 04:38 PM
As a domed top for 30 years, I feel qualified to make the statement ........ never trust men who wear wigs. :greengrin:

PatHead
16-12-2019, 05:06 PM
I knew a director of another club at the time. Milne wanted something approved which no one else agreed with. He therefore threw his toys out of the pram and sided with Celtic.
It was purely out of spite without thinking it through.

Phil MaGlass
16-12-2019, 07:53 PM
F Milne sold us oot knut

hhibs
16-12-2019, 08:00 PM
F Milne sold us oot knut

Well said.

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2019, 11:18 PM
To be fair to Milne at least he's consistent .... The guy he has passed Aberdeen on to is already backtracking on their plans for a new stadium, so it looks like ****hole Pittodrie for a good while yet :greengrin

HoboHarry
17-12-2019, 01:06 AM
Furry boots is Milne heading to noo min?

afc-2252
17-12-2019, 07:51 AM
I think the reason goes back to the whole Sky/Setanta issue (around 10 years ago). At the time Sky offered a good deal, which Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen backed, however all the other clubs voted to go with Setanta. The three clubs warned this was a bad idea, but were out voted. Not long afterwards Setanta went belly up and the league then had to accept a low ball offer from Sky as any negotiating leverage was gone. I think following this SM felt the 11-1, whilst not ideal, was the lesser of two evils. Changing it to a simple majority could mean bad decisions like the Setanta deal were repeated to the detriment of all.

CockneyRebel
17-12-2019, 02:05 PM
I think the reason goes back to the whole Sky/Setanta issue (around 10 years ago). At the time Sky offered a good deal, which Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen backed, however all the other clubs voted to go with Setanta. The three clubs warned this was a bad idea, but were out voted. Not long afterwards Setanta went belly up and the league then had to accept a low ball offer from Sky as any negotiating leverage was gone. I think following this SM felt the 11-1, whilst not ideal, was the lesser of two evils. Changing it to a simple majority could mean bad decisions like the Setanta deal were repeated to the detriment of all.

It didn't need to change to a simple majority, maybe 8 to 4. At least then we would not be the bitches of the OF.

PatHead
18-12-2019, 06:15 AM
I knew a director of another club at the time. Milne wanted something approved which no one else agreed with. He therefore threw his toys out of the pram and sided with Celtic.
It was purely out of spite without thinking it through.
I checked with my source. His recollection is that most clubs wanted a majority of 2/3 to make a change to rules. Milne wanted it to be 3 clubs that could block. No one else agreed with him so he blocked all the other proposals.

JimBHibees
18-12-2019, 06:34 AM

I thought the voting structure at the time of the setanta a deal allowed the Of to scupper anything so how could they not block setanta if voting was like that at the time.

Peevemor
18-12-2019, 06:45 AM
I thought the voting structure at the time of the setanta a deal allowed the Of to scupper anything so how could they not block setanta if voting was like that at the time.

From what I remember, by the time Setanta came along it was the only deal on the table. It wasn't that bad either and many thought that it was too good to be true (which turned out to be the case).

The SPL had previously messed Sky about with the threat of SPL TV (the 11-1 voting rule was crucial here) so Sky withdrew their offer.

This episode changed everything in Scottish football as there was suddenly far less TV revenue. Hibs were the first to cut their cloth accordingly, with Bobby Williamson taking a wage cut and Paul Fenwick left sitting in the stand to avoid triggering an appearance bonus in his contract.

Other clubs were much slower to react and quickly found themselves in real trouble.

Peevemor
18-12-2019, 07:23 AM
https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/issue-1/spl-tv-a-television-soap-opera/

DavieRoy
18-12-2019, 10:24 PM
https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/issue-1/spl-tv-a-television-soap-opera/

It is a really good article and very balanced.

The irony of 2002 was the 11-1 voting structure for TV deals was changed to 8-4 so the Old Firm couldn’t veto a TV deal on their own but in 2007, the Old Firm and Aberdeen warned against Setanta and were proved correct but the new voting structure allowed the Setanta deal to proceed with bad consequences.

Remember Milne went mental when Ross County and St. Mirren blocked the 8-8-8 top two tiers structure. Ross County and St. Mirren suggested the same structure but a playoff for 11th place which went ahead. Milne went radge on the steps at Hampden Park.